Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Expedition

Comments

• Options
    cabolucascabolucas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Exp EB. The stereo is flaking out, but the display is still working. I assume the stereo itself must be replaced. Does anyone know where I can locate a used stock stereo? There must be a website that can scan junk yard inventories. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    mstanertmstanert Member Posts: 2
    brock55 Jun 19, 2001 7:27pm
    Depending on the State that you live in? I live in Texas and was just quoted $30,200 (plus tt&l) for an Eddie Bauer that was loaded.
  • Options
    settleitsettleit Member Posts: 9
    "Freestone tires could blow-out but this could have blown up" Ford mechanic-2000 Expedition bought new-currently has approx. 17,200 miles - 6.5 months old. While driving home the other evening (Fri) steering wheel starts to shimmied and "Check Engine" light comes on then goes off. Got it home and has a rough idle and smoke coming from exhaust - did not put it in garage! Next morning called Ford dealer "drive it on in to the shop". While driving through town smoke is billowing out of exhaust- all gauges OK, bad gas smell when we would stop at stop lights. Finally get to dealer and they check it out---#5 fuel inject or stuck open and was pumping so much fuel that the catalytic convertor was soaked and gas was dripping out of the exhaust pipe - -Bent piston rod = "new engine" replacement in a new top of the line Ford. Mechanic stated that it could have blown up and that I was driving a bomb - I stated, what would have happened if someone in a passing vehicle dropped a lit cigerett at the stop light or Clean Air Act violations or PEA issues. Replacing the engine does not address what caused the injector to stick open/ What part failed? Wiring harness? Someone in this same discussion group had the same #5 injector "go bad" and engine replaced. Odds of that are ???? Anyone else with this problem? This system is on several Ford vehicles not just the Ex. and could cover several years. We are having to go to the Dispute Settlement Board for a new vehicle not a "rebuilt" one. Dealer offered us lowest possible price for a trade!! I stated 2000 Ex with "0" miles-new Ford engine. I contacted the National Highway Safety Adman. to file a complaint with their office. Any help from the town hall group would help read the post in Finance ,warranty & insurance title Brand new Ford engine for $100 post #1-#5 injector failure-same cylinder as mine !! Injecters are not cylinder specific -just screw one in -I think the issue is the controlling wiring to the number 5 cylinder. This same (sub contractor made or Ford made?) wiring is installed in a zillion Ford/Mercury products and maybe in other makes i.e. GMC,Dodge? Ford Catastrophe engine failure and safety issue-anyone else with the same problem?
  • Options
    ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    Just bought the new 2001 EB 4X4 Expedition...got rid of my 2001 montero ltd...(much bad press from CR and safety concerns!) the expy rides MUCH better than the montero...

I have a question: What happens if I accidentally shift from 4H to 4L while the vehicle is moving? will this ruin the transmission? or will it just not shift, since the car is supposed to be stopped when shifting into 4L?...Anyone know the answer to this? thanks for your help!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You won't be able to do that since 4WD Low can only be engaged when you're completely stopped and the transmission is shifted into Neutral. On dry roads and wet, your 4WD selector should be in the auto position.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Drew, thanks for the information. Just to clarify: I should be in the AWD or 4H position for normal driving? And if accidentally shifted into 4L it will NOT hurt the vehicle, right?

thanks again!
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Unless you are in real slippery conditions, like mud or ice, leave the switch in AWD. Switch into 4H when things are real slick, as you then will have the front axle engaged all the time, not just when the rear axle starts slipping.

Getting into 4L is a TWO step process. First, you MUST shift the transmission into neutral. THEN, you turn the switch to 4L and you will be in low range. Should you "accidently" turn the switch to 4L with the tranny in "D", NOTHING happens until the transmission is shifted into neutral. If you leave the switch in 4L, and then parked your truck, when you start it again, you will be in 4L, because you went through neutral on the way to "P".

You'll know it if you are in low range. It will accellerate like a jackrabbit, but you won't get up to any speed. Also, the transfer case will whine. At least mine does.

This is almost an idiot-proof system, but be sure to read the owner's manual and do some experimenting on your own.
  • Options
    Thanks Rick. What if I want to shift OUT of 4L? I assume that it is the same process? Car MUST be stopped, in neutral, etc and that I cannot shift OUT of 4L when the car is moving?
  • Options
    I would probably NOT try it while moving, and surely not while going uphill, where all driveline components are under stress.

Let's not forget what is going on here. When switching in or out of 4L, you are actually shifting the transfer case, just as if you had a shift lever attached to it. The reason I wouldn't attempt it while moving is simply because I wouldn't want to damage the transfer case by shifting it when "pieces" (gears) are still moving inside it. If you tried it, and blew up the transfer case, Ford would likely have a very dim view of replacing it under warranty. IMHO, its best to follow the guidelines in the owner's manual in this case.

I have four-wheeled quite a bit, in many vehicles, and virtually all of them require you to be stopped when shifting in or out of 4L. This is something you are only going to do when off-roading on REALLY narly sections of trail, where you MUST proceed at a snail's pace, with lots of torque available. You WON'T ever use 4L on the street, unless you're trying to extricate yourself from a snow drift (where you WILL be stopped), or some such occasion where tons of torque is needed (stump pulling?).
  • Options
    I love my new 2001 EB Ltd.....However, at times it seems that it has a somewhat "bouncy" ride (up and down a bit), (i.e., suspension not tight?) It's a smooth bounce, but I was just curious if anyone has noticed this? Is there a way to tighten up the shocks? Thanks for any info!
  • Options
    Follow up questions:
    On my 2001 EB Expy:

1. HOW do i program the homelink with my Overhead Garage door opener? the instructions online don't come close to working! anyone had any experience with homelink and that particular brand of opener?

2. My rear sensor signal went off today, and continued to sound a constant tone every time i backed up, even though there was nothing near me or behind me. It did this about five times this afternoon, and now everything is fine (i.e., it no longer goes off when it shouldn't). Has anyone had experience of false signal from the reverse sensor?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
  • Options
    Don't forget you bought a TRUCK, not a car-based SUV. Ford uses softer shocks to provide a smoother highway ride. There's nothing you can do to the stock shocks, but if the "bouncy" ride bothers you, you can always change to aftermarket shocks. Bilstein makes shocks that are stiffer than stock, so does Rancho.

I had to call Homelink to get specific instructions for my Sears opener.

The backup sensor "sees" objects off to the side, as well as down low. Mine detects curbs and beeps like crazy, even though curbs are low, and won't be hit by the rear of the truck.
  • Options
    klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    There might be something (mud, dirt, etc.) stuck over the sensor on your rear bumper.
  • Options
    alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Rancho shocks are not known for on road performance. They are difinately stiff though. Stiffness is not the only thing you want. You want firm ride, but you still want compliance in the bumps. This combination will maintain the smoothness you paid so much for. You should look towards some of the shocks that have been specifically tuned for SUV's that are more road going than off road going. Edlebrock IAS are great, Monroe came out with an SUV specific set up about 8 months ago, and Bilstien more than likely has something as mentioned above.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford pumps up rebates in battle with GM for truck supremacy

Ford-GM truck war escalates

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    Last weekend.I was parked facing downhill. My left front/back tires were in wet grass, my right ones were on concrete. Started in 2H, could not get out. Switched to 4L and could not get out. Finally, after spinning, truck backed up. Looked at my path, the front wheels were not moving. In fact, the only tire that was moving was the back driver's side. I had the axle actuator (spelling??) fixed several months ago. Is this a problem with the transmission?

Also, my right turn signal does not always engage. Sometimes, it will blink very quickly. Also, passenger side window does notroll down. Anycomments greatly appreciated.

I love the vehicle, but it seems as though it is one problem after another.
    JJ
  • Options
    If you didn't stop in neutral to go to 4l, it wasn't in 4wd. Assuming you were not in 4wd, and you don't have limited slip, then you get the result you got - one wheel spins without transferring power to the one that is not spinning.
  • Options
    cmimcmim Member Posts: 9
    I have two questions on the "rear seat ventilation ducts" that are standard on the XLT.

1. Are they located in the floor or in the ceiling ?
    2. Can you get A/C and heat out of these ?
  • Options
    klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    I have an XLT with the rear ducts and there are ducts in both the ceiling and floor ... you can control where the air blows. I believe the air flowing to the back is the same air which is being supplied to the front though you can control the temperature and velocity separately with the extra set of controls. If you are providing air conditioned air to the front, though, the rear air will be conditioned, as well.
  • Options
    So if you order the "Convenience Group" which includes the auxiliary rear heater/air conditioner, all that you are getting are seperate temperature/velocity
    controls for the rear but if you just have the standard rear vents the temp./velocity for the rear vents is what ever the front A/C or heat are set at. Right ??
  • Options
    No, you actually get a separate heat/AC unit. Look in the rear cargo area and you can see the difference - compare the wheel wells on one with and without the rear air. Without the rear air, you get a velocity control on the back of the console which moves air of the same hemp as the front settings. There is a diverted for where you want to air to come out - top or bottom of the console.
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing that up !

The reason I asked, is that a dealer is selling a new 2001 XLT 4WD with the only option being the 5.4V8 for 26,995 after all incetives and rebates. I was worried about not having rear AC and heat in something that large and thought I could only get it if I ordered the "Convenience Group".
  • Options
    Wow, spell check took over for me in that last post. That would be "temp" and "diverter", not "hemp" and "diverted". I do not have rear air, but I have the rear opening quarter windows, which helps move air through the cabin. It really is only an issue at initial start up, as it takes a little longer for the single unit to cool / heat a space that large. The temp in the back is always slightly different than that in the front, but it is not hard to adjust so everyone in comfy. Or should I say I'm always comfy, and who cares what is going on in back??
  • Options
    ...must be a west coast spell checker.

You say that without the Auxilary AC/Heat option
    the velocity controls and diverter(vents) are on the rear of the console. When I checked the Standard items on the XLT this AM they do not list a floor or ceiling console as Standard but as
    an Option as part of the "Convenience Group". Does the XLT come Standard with a floor console where the controls and vents are located ?
  • Options
    awaiawai Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I just purchased an BE 98 spy with a 5.4 V-8 engine. It is fully loaded including the towing package. There is a compass in the front ceiling which also tells you the average miles to gallon the vehicle is getting. The display has been reading 10.7 miles/gallon. My questions are wether or not this will improve, is it accurate, and is there a way I could improve it? Don't get me wrong, I love my expedition but I did not think I would get this kind of gas mileage. I read the messages and most said that they were receiving between 14-15 on average. I know this vehicle weighs 7000 lfs but I did not think the mileage would be like it is. Anyone have any suggestions, please feel free to answer.
  • Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    i suspect u are getting better than 10.7, but not much....and it's no easy task figuring out your real mpg since the weird gas tank is next to impossible to fill consistently; however, in my 98 5.4, over almost 2 years I got a fairly steady 12-13mpg in straight city driving....it is the downside of an EXP....they get the worst gas milage in all of SUV land...that said, they are otherwise pretty great cars.
  • Options
    cmim
    Not sure about the answer to your question. Maybe someone in here who has priced one recently could help??

awai
    Expys weigh around 5k lbs, not 7. You should reset the mpg, and then cocentrate on trying to fill accurately. Mine takes a solid 3 gallons after the pump has kicked off.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Just press the "E/M" and "mode" buttons simultaneosly. Then the mileage will begin with the current performance instead of possibly the last 3 years. (Just in case you didn't know).
  • Options
    ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    You are definitely right about the tank. My 2001 EB 4X4 takes another 3 gallons after the pump kicks off. Our mileage has been in the 12-13 range around town (I reset the average calculator for each tank), and around 16 on the highway at 75 MPH. Just took it on a 3000 mile trip to the North Carolina mountains and was quiet impressed with the 5.4 V8 in the mountains. Got around 14 MPG climbing up and down the mountains. It seemed as if I got better gas mileage at the slightly higher altitudes. Now that the engine is mostly broken in the mileage is improving as suggested by others on this board. With 2 kids and 15 hours in the car, the rear entertainment system was a god send!
  • Options
    awaiawai Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information regarding the extra gallons I can fill up on after the pump has clicked off to the resting of the mileage counter. I did not know that I could do this. I will definitely try these suggestions out and I will post a message letting you all know if it worked and if my gas mileage has increased!
  • Options
    I have the 2001 EB Expy. Just took it on my first long trip and love the vehicle. Ride, handling, etc. are all great. The only problem is that on occasion the rear sensing system alert sounds (a continuous tone) when I back up, regardless of whether there is anything behind the vehicle or not. This seems to happen only when it is hot and/or humid outside. I took it to the Ford dealer and, of course, it was working fine when they checked it out and could not diagnose the problem. (The technician had never heard of the problem and did not know much about the system, so he made me wait while he "read up" on the reverse sensing system. Comforting, huh?)

In any event, has anyone else had any similar problems with the reverse sensing system? I'd appreciate any input or suggestions. I have cleaned off the sensors so it is not just some mud or other debris causing this problem.

Thanks.
  • Options
    pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    I am very happy with my Gas mileage on my 2001 XLT Expedition. I hear More Gas mileage complaints with the 5.4 than the 4.6 even though they are only 2 mpg apart. Im starting to believe that the 5.4 is drinking more Gas than whats listed on the msrp sticker. I had the problem with the reverse sensors having a constant sound when in reverse in the winter time when ice or snow,water get on the sensors. I wiped them off and also kind of lightly touched them behind the rear bumper.
  • Options
    vic2000vic2000 Member Posts: 2
    I've experienced the same mysterious problems with the Reverse Sensing System in my 2000 EB that Ken131 has noted, and I haven't brought it in to have it checked out for the same reason Ken mentioned - I figured it'd probably work fine at the dealership and that the service technician probably wouldn't figure it out anyway.

What I've noticed is the combination of heat and sunlight. It'll work fine when I back out of my garage on hot days (beep momentarily until I pass the threshold, then stop, then beep again as I close in on vehicles parked on the opposite curb) and at night. It acted funny last summer, too, but was fine all winter.

I haven't wanted to deal with the dealer on this and - perhaps like Ken131 - was hoping that someone "in the know" will detail exactly what the problem might be, and - most important - what the cure is before I blaze the warranty trail with Ford.

Let me add my two cents on some other recent topics:

I've got ~8600 miles on my 2000 EB 5.4 now; I've never reset the meter and when I last checked it about 2 weeks ago, it read 12.7 mpg.

I recently swapped my 17" Wilderness ATs for Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs... Sears had 'em on sale. I dropped the Firestone's off at my local dealer, who processed the rebate (two weeks and counting on that). Haven't had 'em on wet pavement yet (I thought the Firestone's were less than steady there), but a noticeably smoother, slightly quieter ride (which is what you'd expect).

One of these days, I'll take alwaysfords advice and replace the shocks with the Edlebrock IAS he seems to prefer (having monitored this forum for around 18 months now, I've come to trust his judgment - thanks alwaysfords!). I've gotten a little tired of listening to my mother-in-law click her tongue whenever she's riding with us and we bounce it bit (it's kind of funny really watching her through the rear-view bouncing around and holding onto the grasp handles for dear life... even better when the kids want her to sit in the middle between them - no handles. Man... I'm getting cruel in my old age.

Gotta get the mobile entertainment system (wasn't offered by Ford until '01). Was waiting for aftermarket DVD systems to hit and for prices to come down, which it seems that they are. So, someday soon...

All in all, love the truck. No problems to date (except for the rear sensing system)... I get the poor mileage and truck ride I expected. It's a real eye-opener the first time you gas up using a credit card and the pump automatically shuts off at $50 and the tank's not full yet. BTW - the truck's got a 30-gallon gas tank, although Ford only lists at at 26, and that's around where the pump shuts off. Hence the ability to squeeze 3-4 additional gallons in (but ya gotta know when to stop!). A post I'd read long ago attributed this to the shape of the gas tank.
  • Options
    bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 Espy XLT, I was wondering if it is possible to have the automatic headlight option installed by the dealer. I know there is a part available but when I called a dealer they stated that they didn't know. Somebody please help!!
    I am one of the idiots that forget that my headlights are on, I need this feature.
  • Options
    390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    With hot weather the system on our Excursion started giving constant beep when first shifting into reverse. I spoke with the service manager and told him about the problem. A few weeks later I received a call from the dealer to set up an appointment. Seems that the company (Valeo) wanted some of their engineers to check it out. All they did was to replace all of the sensors, which seems to have helped so far. I was given no specific reason for the malfunction. I'm sure they are going to test the old sensors, maybe the design needs to be refined.
  • Options
    ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    I have also experienced the constant beep of the reverse sensor - but only once. Actually it was one long shrill beep.

The other problem I am getting is that occasionaly the sensor will turn itself off when I start the truck. Pressing the sensor on/off button will not turn it back on, I must first drive several feet forward before it will allow itself to be turned back on. Has anyone else experienced this? As I cannot recreate the problem on a consistant basis I hesitate to take it to the dealership.

I also had Ford install the remote starter - while it works fine, I have found that I can start my vehicle by pressing the automatic lock buttons twice. Has anyone else had this occur. As the vehicle isn't drivable without the key I am not worried about someone taking it, but it could definately be scary for someone who doesn't know what is goin on. Imagine locking the doors and the truck suddenly starts up.
  • Options
    petersburg100petersburg100 Member Posts: 29
    Hertz is selling former rentals at "reasonable" price. For example, Ford Expedition 2000 w 25K miles for $22K (ask). Can I go wrong? Would you buy a former rental? If not, would you reconsider if there were an extended warranty? If they ask $22K and the Edmunds TMV is $22K how much would you offer? Any views? Ford dealers in Washington DC area are full of pre-owned Expiditions for $1-2K more than what Hertz is asking for. They may be former rentals and leases too.
  • Options
    bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    Awai, I put a K&N filter on my 2000 5.4 Expy and it improved my mileage by about .5 miles per gallon, also I think I now have a little more power at the higher RPM's. I average about 13.0 to 13.2 miles per gallon in mixed, but mostly city driving. On the freeway if I keep it under 75 mph I get about 17 miles per gallon. My neighbor has a 98 Expy, and men being men we were comparing engine compartments, while his air filter was the same size, his air hose was much smaller in diameter than the one on mine. (yes I gave him grief about his hose being smaller than mine) With smaller air hoses on the 98's you may have to get an ariad kit that gives you a newer bigger hose (the size of 99's and older) and the K&N filter to get the same results.
  • Options
    bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    Did say 99's and older? I meant to say 99's and newer.
  • Options
    seaspyseaspy Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone here tell me why these trucks have depreciated SO much in price in the last year?
    I bought my fully loaded EB for 35,500 which included a 5 yr 75 k warranty in April 2000.Moonroof,reverse sensing and side air bags too. Edmunds list this truck at 27,400.00 now. OUCH,almost 8 k depreciation in 15 months,you gotta be kidding me,and this is dealer retail. Are they not selling for around 35 k now for the same options year 2001?
    Please explain.
    P.S. Ill sell mine for 29,500 if any one is intrested.>17000 miles wedgewood blue
  • Options
    Too many SUVs on the market.

Too much expensive gasoline.

Not enough money in the right hands.

Even the Toyota Sequoia is selling at just above invoice. The economy needs to recover before prices will recover.
  • Options
    Received my $684 check from Ford last Friday. That covered 4 new Michelins, mounting, balancing, stems and taxes. Not bad.

Now I need to visit a dealer and get rid of that Firestone spare!
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi!

Depreciation on Ford SUV's seems to be increasing all around. I bought a new '00 Explorer 4x4 in November '00. The sticker was $29.5K. Now, 8 months later, the trade-in value is $17.5K. That is really significant.

I think, for Explorer anyway, the Firestone debacle has lead to significantly reduced resale. Plus the fact that seemingly "everyone" drives an an Explorer.

I also think that the manufacturers help perpetuate the relatively dismal resale values by releasing 2002 models in the first 4 or 5 months of 2001. As soon as they do this, one year is automatically added to the age of existing vehicles. Even though my Explorer is 8 months old it is considered a 2yr old vehicle on the secondary market. Oh well.

I am seriously considering buying my next vehicle on the secondary market; let someone else take the depreciation hit. The used car market is currently full of fantastic deals.
  • Options
    seaspyseaspy Member Posts: 6
    I hear you, and I fully intend to do the same thing when I unload my debacle.Sad thing is the [non-permissible content removed] dealer's will try and sell the truck they just bought from me and you for peanuts and turn around and sell it to some moran who has little or no credit for close to the full retail price.Now that's a nice profit and a screw job to the consummer at both ends.I'm in the wrong business. Opps!! I forgot I have a conscious and I would not be able to do that.
    Moral of the story DO NOT buy a new truck from a dealer unless your prepared to loose you shirt.
    God help us all!
  • Options
    cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    If you buy an XLT with no options except a 5.4L engine, you get a bench seat, no console, no aux A/C or heater.
  • Options
    bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I've been looking at used Expeditions and Explorers and have noticed the dropoff, too. Great for a used car buyer. Given that Ford is discounting the 2002 Explorer severely, what do you expect?

The market for large and midsize SUV's is getting more competitive by the day.

I'm going to wait another 6 months. The economy will get worse before it gets better and more SUV supply will hit the market.
  • Options
    blv1018blv1018 Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad I bought the extended warranty on my '98 EB 4WD Expedition. I had a '97 Expedition that I leased for 3yrs with no problems, and loved it so much, I looked for a used Expedition at the end of the lease. The '98 has been back to dealers 4 times in the 16 months I've owned it (now has 64K miles) at $100 deductible per visit:
    1. At 46K miles, the EXP started "bucking" at 65mph, the check engine light came on - a leak in hose caused antifreeze to drip on spark plug (Ford dealer said he's worked on 7 Expeditions with the same problem - why hasn't there been a recall???;
    2. Windshield wiper fluid for front window wouldn't squirt (one for rear window works fine!) My '97 had a recall for this....
    3. Intermittent starter problems (about every 20 times the truck was started, a horrendous sound occurred as if you were starting the truck, but it's already running) at 50K damaged the starter and flywheel - first Ford dealer told me there was no problem; the 2nd found it.
    4. Driver side window motor quit, then window regulator needing replacing.
    The Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires have lasted 64k miles, and will need to be replaced soon. The ride is much harder than the '97 with the same tires - might need new shocks also. My husband just put BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires on his GMC pickup, and the ride is terrific. Wondered if anyone had any experience with BF Goodrich replacement tires on their Expedition? And what kind of shocks are recommended for a smoother ride?
    I still love the truck despite the problems, but that's probably my fault for buying a used truck with 42K miles from a bad dealer. It handles great, and the visibility is excellent.
    As far as gas mileage, although the '97 was a 4.6L, and the '98 is a 5.4L, the mileage isn't that bad for the increase in pick-up (15-16 around town, and 18-19mpg on the highway) - I reset the mileage computer after every fill-up.
    I'm big on preventive maintenance (oil change every 3K miles) and requested a tune-up from the local Firestone sevice center. They couldn't do the tune-up, but if they could, for this SUV it would cost $239, because they need special equipment (that they don't have) and because of all the items blocking the plugs/attached to the plugs? Has anyone experienced this? Will the Ford service manager's eyes light up with $$$$ when I schedule the tune-up? Even the fuel filter replacement cost double because of the extra labor with the skid plate in the way.
    Just wondered if anyone else had some info...
  • Options
    jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 98 expy. My front windshield wiper fluid will not come out most of the time. I have to continually push it in to get it out. Second, my passenger side window will not go down. I was wondering how you had them fixed? Are there recalls? Did the dealer say technical bulletins were issued? I am very interested because I also have this problem.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    hieatthieatt Member Posts: 9
    The reverse sensing system on our 2000 BE 4x4 malfunctions in the same manner as described in earlier posts... lots of false alarms, seemingly only in hot, humid weather. The dealer had it for a couple days performing a 30K service and said he could not identify any problems, nor had he had anyone else complain about this. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was thinking about pushing the issue, but don't want them just to replace mine with the same faulty sensors if Ford wasn't worked out a fix for this. 390gt's post gives me some hope that maybe they have corrected the problem. Let us know if it starts happening again!

I also would echo my shock at the extreme drop in resale value. Our Expedition has lost as much value in 18 months as our Volvo V70 did in 3 years! Guess we'll keep the Expedition until the sucker dies!
  • Options
    fsmasekfsmasek Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know more about the possibility that the 2003 Expedition will have an independent rear suspension and lower rear floor and 3rd row which folds into the floor, as does the 2002 Explorer?