Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    Does new 2002 Expedition have this already?
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    fsmasek & wesyang: Don't hold your breath!

Given that the Expedition is based on a MUCH heavier, more robust vehicle than the Explorer, I seriously doubt Ford will switch to an independent rear suspension at this time (2002 and the next 5 years). There hasn't been even a hint in the press. Maybe the next generation down the road.

However, it is a change I would really like to see.
  • etjlaetjla Member Posts: 3
    I was looking through a magazine that had an article about the 2003 Expedition. The platform will deviate from the F-150 platform it now has with independent rear suspension along with a fold flat 3rd row seat.
    Sorry, I was mis-informed.

I received the September issue of Automobile Magazine yesterday, and found that AM also believes/expects the 2003 Expy will have an independent rear suspension, allowing the 3rd seat to fold flat. They also had a spy photo of the grill/bumper. It looks like a new Explorer on steroids. HUGE headlights, with multiple reflectors (separate high & low beams?). The bumper was painted body color (no chrome).

The independent rear suspension places the Expy (& Nav) far ahead of the competition. Even Toyota's new Sequoia has a solid rear axle.

If only Ford can get the product launch correct. The new Explorer was a major embarassment. I may go look after the Expy has 2-3 years on the market to work out the bugs.
  • blv1018blv1018 Member Posts: 2
    With 63000 miles, I attributed age to the driver's side window motor conking out. Total charge was $100 (my deductible under the extended warranty) - no charge to fix the regulator they screwed up replacing the window motor.
    Although I never had a problem with the '97's front or back washer fluid, it was fixed under a recall sometime in late '97 or early '98.
    I'm betting the '98s should have had a recall also.
    Good luck!
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Resale is a mostly a function of price for new Expeditions. As the new ones go down, so does the resale for older ones. Justified or not, Ford is taking a hit for the tire business, and next year they have an all new Expedition. It all adds up to lower new-car $ which means lower resale. It's a terrific time to buy one and a terrible time to sell.
  • eran1eran1 Member Posts: 17
    1998 expy too: with the wipers/washer the entire stalk (turn indicator,high/low beams, wipers, etc.) needs to be replaced. there is a TSB out on this. our problem was even worse...the wipers selectively worked!!! heavy rain or not. we could only get the wipers to function by depressing the mist button. by the way, we've just given up on getting the rear wiper fixed: if something's back there (hope it's never a person) i'll just have to ram in to it. now that my 100k wrrty has expired i'm SURE the dealer can find the problem now.
  • tone2tonetone2tone Member Posts: 15
    I took our '98 Expy to our local mechanic for service at 48k (trans service, oil change, coolant etc.) and thought that a tune up might be called for. The shop tech said it shouldn't need it and to do it requires pulling off quite a bit off the engine to get to the plugs etc. He said it is more expensive and we left it at that. But it is something I won't be going to FORD for. I'm curious though, what are the tune up rates for the 5.4?
  • ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    I notice that my 2001 EB Expedition makes a "pinging" sound in the engine when I accelerate. (Sort of like a metallic fluttering sound). It's not very loud, and I can only really hear it when the radio is off. I have been using the 87 Octane, per the owner's manual. I was going to try a higher grade, but the manual says that "premium" gas may make the knocking situation worse. Anyone else had this problem? What grade gas would you recommend?

Also, I get sort of a "rubbing sound" from the steering wheel column when I make sharp turns to the right (backing up, for example). The dealer lubricated the wheel and said that it should disappear, but it has not. Anyone else have a similar issue? It happens ONLY when the steering wheel is turned to the right.

Finally, I haven't gotten any answers yet from the dealer on the reverse sensing system problem (i.e., going off when nothing is behind the vehicle) yet, but I'll keep you posted. Anyone got any more info on that problem?

thanks for any input
    We have used 85 octane in our 2001 EB since new (January) without any pinging. I try to use Conoco if available, but usually go with the cheapest gas I can find, given the poor mileage we get.
  • divergdiverg Member Posts: 7
    Well, my lease finally ran out on a different suv. Fortunately, my wife said she wants cloth seats so that'll save some cash. I am thinking about the entertainment system, anyone have one? Also, anyone recently lease a 2001 or a 2002 with 0 down? I'd like to get a ballpark lease payment - one that someone else already haggled for ;) Thanks!
  • fordxpyfordxpy Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a 2001 EB Expedition. The one I’m considering has some options that I really don’t need, but the price seems very good. Any idea what the average above invoice is that they are quoting these days?

Also, I’m curious to see if anyone has had any issues with the options. The one I’m most curious about is the Four Corner Load Leveling Suspension. I can’t find any information on it anywhere except that it is pneumatic. I tend to drive my vehicles forever and this has the potential to be something that would go out within five years, probably meaning a nice charge from the local Ford dealership.

I may have the dealer install a moonroof (can’t find one w/ bench seat in the back). Two dealers have told me “we do it all the time and have had no problem”. I’m sure they would not mislead me……Does anyone have any info on aftermarket moonroofs?

Finally, any quality issues w/ the entertainment center?

Thanks in advance
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    In response to #463, the moonroof is a $800.00 discount option in some regions of the country.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Let me start by saying I neither like or dislike the Expedition/Navigator. I am also not very knowldegeable on the options offered on these SUV's. I'm writing this post for those who may be curious of what I've seen and learned of for the next model year. You all may know some of this, but let me continue..
    Living in Los Angeles, I often see various camouflaged vehicles being tested either in the 100+ degrees heat of the San Fernando Valley or on the twisted turns of Mulholland and various canyon roads.
    Today I saw one Expedition and one Navigator heavily camouflaged (mostly the front and rear of each SUV was well hidden); the Expedition was painted black and the Navigator was white. From the exterior, I saw 19" wheels, new rims (at least they looked fresh to me) and the fender wells were of a more 'muscular' nature. The Navigator had its headlights on and they were HID (these were not DRL for they were too bright). In addition, the taillights were LED (like the Cadillac DTS) and for the Nav, there were three small round third brake lights atop the rear window.
    From what I could see in the Navigator's interior (I was in a Suburban 2500), there was a navigation system in addition to all the test equipment being used. At the stop light I asked the driver what size engine was under the hood, and he replied "I can't tell you but think Bo Derek". I assume he meant a 10 cylinder (is a 10 currently offered???).
    Sorry ya'll but that's all I was able to find out. As to whether some of these items are newsworthy or not, I don't know. I thought I'd perform my duities as an Edmund's web site reader and let ya'll know what I've found out of these SUVs. For that matter, I don't even know whether these changes will see their way into the showroom (if they haven't already).
    Enjoy.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Well, Ford does have a V10 engine, so it's certainly possible :-). Thanks for the spy report!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • vendovendo Member Posts: 4
    I HEAR A SOUND IN MY ENGINE WHEN IT'S IDLING. THE DEALER SAID IT WAS THE TRANS FLUID PUMPING. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS. IT'S A FAINT NOISE. 2001 EXPY W 5.4LITER 200 MILES
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 XLT 4.6 engine w/4300 miles. I also have the low hum sound. A friend of mine who is a mechanic took a look and stated the sound is the trans fluid being pumped into the trans, the hum is not constant it comes and goes. The hum is very faint and other than that my Expy has been wonderful. I hope this helps.
  • vendovendo Member Posts: 4
    I went and talked to a Ford Certified Master Mechanic he verified the same thing your Mechanic did. Mine also comes and goes and is fairly faint. This makes me feel better.. Thanks
  • bkkatzbkkatz Member Posts: 18
    Diverg...you really should consider buying rather than leasing....(1) its the end of the model year and the residuals are awful on the lease deals...and (2) Ford is running all kind of financing specials...I bought a 2K1 XLT Sport on 8-4-01 and got 1.9 for 60 mo...since then I have seen on TV that Ford is now offering 0% for 60 mo...as long as you can use Ford's $$$ for free you might as well buy it...even if you decide to trade in 2 years every payment you've made will have gone to the principal which means you will have some equity in the truck.

Just a thought....
  • bymkbymk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Expedition. Since day 1 I have had a bad shimmy. I have had it in for repair enough over the year to qualify for the Lemon Law. I test drove a 2002 Expedition today and it had the shimmy also. Am I the only one or do others feel this??????Please help me!!!!
  • jrmiljrmil Member Posts: 1
    Excellent vehicle to 50,000 miles. Since then, now at 52,500:
    1. Rear axle seals leaked--replaced.
    2. Soaked brake pads--replaced.
    3. Soaked emergency brake lining--replaced.
    4. Valve cover or oil pan gasket leaking.
    5. Transfer case wont shift into low range--having checked this week.

On the other hand, my '97 EB Exp. went went nearly 70,000 miles with no major problems.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It seems like these JD Power studies come out every month....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• dolliraedollirae Member Posts: 4
    We're thinking of buying our first expedition this week or so. The .9 is tempting and I'm a broker and can buy the car at cost.
    However, I'm worried after reading all of these negative posts! Should we get the Honda Odyssey we originally thought of buying? It's really the extra room we're looking for.
    And we also have a question as to whether we need the 5.4 or not. We got the bigger 3.8 on our Windstar and were always glad we did. Even though we're not going to tow anything more then an ocassional rented tent trailer, and then just to the beach and back, is the 5.4 a better engine? Is bigger better as far as the 4.6 taxing the engine and having to work too hard? Please folks, I buy cars for my clients all the time, but this one is for me! Write quick!
  • moorejwmmoorejwm Member Posts: 9
    For anyone's interest.

We have reached a deal on a 3yr 45K lease of
    an 2001 Expedition. (519+/mo)
    List was 37000, XLT 4x4, 5.4L, comfort, tow, LSD
    Selling price 32461 (X plan)
    330 to extend 3yr warranty with rental to full 45K
    total 32791.
    Residual 43% (15910)
    Rate 5.5%
    2500 lease cash
    500 lease to lease
    3000 total cap reduction
    out of pocket
    180 mich tax on cap reduction
    19 transfer fee
    519 first payment
    total out of pocket 718
    less 450 security deposit from prior lease
    cash paid 268
    35 monthly payments of 519.

previous lease was only 425/mo
    but then the residual on a new 1999
    was ~65% at that time.
    buyout was a ridiculous 23K
  • ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    This is a hard question. I will tell you how we feel about ours. We have had our 2001 EB 4X4 for 3 1/2 months and 6000 miles. So far we could not be happier. Had a couple small items taken care of, and had the seat belt recall (actually before it was a recall). This is my wife's car and she absolutely loves it. The 5.4 is standard in the EB 4X4, haven't driven one with the 4.6. It certainly has plenty of power and performs very well. On the down side it consumes considerable quantities of gasoline (10 - 12 MPG around town). Not really that big a deal at 1.10 /gal. but at 1.70 Ouch! I do know if someone runs a red light and hits my wife and son in the Expedition, they are quite likely to walk away even if the other person is driving a Suburban.
    Don't forget the Expedition is a truck. The Odyssey is a car-based minivan. Two totally different vehicles. If you don't intend to ever use the Expy's truck-based capabilities, why would you want to suffer with the truck-like ride and the poor gas mileage?

We have owner our 2001 EB for eight months and have about 8000 miles on it. Not a single problem so far. We live in Colorado, where the 4x4 system is needed in the winter, and we go 4-wheeling in the summer. Other than those two items, we could have been happy with a minivan. We have owned a minivan before and found it adequate for most of the year, except those freak blizzards. There is something to say for the safety of the Expy due to its size and weight.
    the 4.6 has an EPA 16/21 (very respectable for such a big vehicle)compared to 13/18 for the 5.4. That is quit a bit of difference for the extra 28HP. I had a '98 Expedition with the 5.4 which I think at the time was 240hp. Seemed perfectly fine to me and the new 4.6 has 232HP. Now I'm thinking 8HP difference. I really loved the '98 and the only thing I hated about it was the 11.5 mpg around town. I know it's all in my head and it's probably just 20 bucks a month difference, but I guess I want my cake and eat it too. If I don't tow and rarely haul many passengers, will I be sorry if I opt for the smaller V8? On paper it seems like a perfectly intelligent decision, but all I read is "get the big motor!"
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I am a fairly throttle happy driver, and ask a lot of my vehicles. The 4.6 is way to anemic for my tastes. I would like a little shot of extra power in the 5.4, but then again, it's how I drive. Nothing wrong with a 5000# truck taking someone at a stop light in my opinion. If you are content to wait for a vehicle to get up to speed, and feel like it is struggling occasionally, then by all means get the 4.6. I do not know what most people on the resale side look for, but I would guess the 5.4 is on a lot of lists. You can always drive a stronger vehicle modestly, but it very hard to drive a modest vehicle strongly.
    thank you for the quick response and I know you are right..............I hate a car that won't get outta the way...lol
    especially his comment on resale value. You may take a bigger depreciation hit in a few years with the 4.6 if used buyers want the 5.4 for the same capabilities you aren't particularly interested in (hauling, towing, etc.).

There may also be an engine preference depending on where you live. For example, here in Colorado, where EVERYTHING is at a high-altitude, very few people opt for smaller engines in their vehicles. No one wants a car (or truck) that can't get out of its own way, especially when climbing the rockies.
    I've been watching the Dallas Saturday classifieds and see some very low numbers on EOY EB's and XLT's (very low 30's on the EB and 4k less on XLT's). Even though I live in a small city 350miles away, I can usually get the market drift watching the Dallas paper.
    Although the locals will usually meet the DFW prices, you gotta persuade them you're a serious buyer to get there which I've not done yet. Several questions. Anyone getting these great deals on the car they actually want. Are they all on the vehicles with the 4.6? According to Edmunds, that's where the rebates are. I've done a couple of RCO's in the past....low down and low payments. Drove a 98 EXP with 2500 down including TT&L and a $385 payment for 2yrs (I miss those high residual days). Anyone know where the residuals are on these cars?
    I'm guessing the residuals are low but if you can buy cheap enough it all comes out in the wash. Any smart guys out there who knows all this stuff or anyone who's recently bought?
  • osvaldoosvaldo Member Posts: 11
    Dardson1, definitely get the 5.4. I thought just like you and got the 4.6 Since I have a lead foot I'm only getting 9-13 mpg in city and best was 21 hway only. This is prob. same as a 5.4. Good luck.
    Today I spoke to my fleet mgr at a dlr.ship in the L.A. area. She quoted me a lease factor of 6.25, a 3 yr. residual of 44% on a 45k mile lease (residual (buy out) is 44% of MSRP regardless of what you nego. the selling price to be)and a payment of 528.27 plus 8% use tax of 42.26 equals 570 per month. This was based on the selling price of 32190. I'm a broker so I'm pretty sure that a lease deal couldn't get any better then this one.
    Otherwise, theres .9 for 60 months if you want to buy. Like the guy said the other day, at .9 it's a darn good way to go.
    I'm approved at .9 and all systems are go now, but I've personally gotten a little cold. The dealership took a week to give me an answer on my loan, and I've done way too much research now! I'm still considering the Honda Odyssey. I'll keep ya'll posted!
    Here in Denver, all the dealers are offering around $11,000 off window sticker on ANY 2001 EB. Of course, almost none of us can qualify for both the "new grad" discount ($500) or the RCL discount ($400), so it really works out to about $10K off list. Still, a better deal than I got last January when we bought ours. No advertised discounts on XLTs.

BTW- I believe that all 4x4 Eddie Bauer models come with the 5.4 engine. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but all those in Denver have 5.4 engines.
    dollirae....Afraid I've been spoiled by 10 years of high residuals on SUV's. You didn't mention any out of pocket money @ the $570 payment. Thanks for the residual numbers. Are we speaking 2001?
    osvaldo....9-13mpg is a loooong way from 16mpg. I keep hearing there's little difference between the 5.4 and the 4.6 milage. Milage aside, do you find in everyday driving the 4.6 feels sluggish? I've driven both (test drive, 30minute stuff). Drove the 4.6 first and it seemed fine. Then I drove a 5.4 and it was certainly stronger, but not night and day. Although I'm convince the 5.4 is the superior engine, the good deals I see all are on the 4.6's. I'm not looking for a rocket but I also hate something that can't get up to speed. Is that how you feel...like you've got a great big SUV that can't get outta the way, or are you just disappointed in the milage?
    No out of pocket money and yes, a 2001, XLT, 5.4, comfort convience group and CD, Tow and limited slip and leather. 32190 selling price. Hope that helps.
  • havasu1havasu1 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 XLT with 4.6, 2WD. The main issue with the 2WD model is the rear drive ratio, at 3.31, with no other choice. If you reside and will use the EXP in a failry flat zone, and not tow over 3,500 pounds the 4.6 is fine. I get 19/20 MPG highway on a trip unless it gets over 100 degrees and mpg slides to 16.5 to 17 mpg.
    Good news for 2002, aparently a 2 WD model can be had with the 3.55 ratio, like the Supercrew has had all along. this is a MUST HAVE!!

All 4WD models have used the 3.55, so they are unchanged. At 9K miles ,few issues and a fine ride. Just needed to add upgraded speakers and amp to the CD/Radio. In CA XLK at 28K with comfort and leather with the 2.5K rebate.
    Not so long ago the Explorer came out (in the early 90's). Some how we all had to have one (I had a '93), some how we all thought we had a pretty terrific car, and some how we all managed to limp along with the modest V6 which was something like 150 or 160 hp. I don't particularly remember thinking the thing was a slug. Wife drove a 93 Cadillac at the time which was 200HP in which I felt like king of the interstate....lol. Now, everyone holds their nose at anything under 250hp.
  • bud789bud789 Member Posts: 9
    Though this is an Expedition discussion, anyone considering purchasing an Expedition should considering the following as the Expedition itself has not been crash tested. The Expedition is built on a F150 platform.

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2001/pr060401.htm

• rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Tuesday it has launched an investigation to determine whether an estimated 437,000 Ford Expeditions have a defective part -- one designed to keep the sport utility vehicle from rolling over.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/04/ford.expeditions/index.html
    14 outta 437,000. Let's close down the Expedition assembly line! This new-world-order, let's save "everybody from everything" society we live in is booooooring. How 'bout we just do away with cars altogether....the nasty killers. I think we should just all stay home, lock the doors, and turn off the lights. That's my vote.
  • fordxpyfordxpy Member Posts: 3
    My friendly dealer does not have the Expedition I want, but is offering to locate and do a dealer switch to get the vehicle to me. My question is how much does that cost the dealer? I'm sure they will want to charge for it, but if the vehicle is in the same town (Houston), I don't see what expense would be involved. I'm assuming they do these all the time and do it at cost.
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    The dealer your negotiating with will trade a unit he has in inventory for the trade. NO COST to you. The maroney sticker (MSRP) on window will indicate name of dealer vehicle was purchased from.
    Ditto worldii2 comments. No way, no how you should pay for the transfer. It is done all the time, sometimes from several hours away. It is part of their cost of doing business, and the dealers have a little network that they call on and trade with.
  • crogowskicrogowski Member Posts: 1
    I am suppose to be getting "X plan pricing" and I have been looking at a 01 XLT with comfort group only. This vehicle has been sitting on the lot of a year as of Sept 26th. With this so called special pricing I am getting a bottom line of $28,584. Does anyone think that is a good deal or am I being taken? They also are short changing me on my trade. They want me to loose $4000. How can I get them to give me a better deal?
  • osvaldoosvaldo Member Posts: 11
    In regards to 4.6 vs 5.4. I do live in a flat area and don't tow but I still feel like its a little underpowered. I would estimate 0-60 in about 12.5 sec. If thats acceptable then go for the 4.6 but remember you probably won't save much gas on it. Based on my driving anyway.
    If they aren't offering you any adiitional incentive for the the 01, then you might as well order a 02 at the X plan price. You could probably do better if you just went in and negotiated on the 01 because they need to get rid of it.
  • ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    Assuming that you are getting a 4X4 that price is $3000 under invoice price (including the $2000 rebate). If this a a 2 wheel drive, I think they got the wrong price (should be more like $27100). I purchased a 2001 EB 4X4 four months ago when the rebates were only $1500 and I think mine was a little more under the invoice than yours, but not much. They should not be charging you ANY fees with this (i.e. no advertising fees, etc.). Their profit margin is fixed so they won't do any more than wholesale value for your trade. Obviously you can do better if you sell it yourself, but that can be a hassel. I elected to accept the low trade (about $1000 less than I would have sold it for) number and I know the guy who bought my trade to resell in his used lot. He still has it 4 months later (that is the risk). You might try checking with a couple of used car sales places and see if they would buy it and for how much since this will not effect the price you are getting on the Expedition. As to the age of the car as long as it is a 2001 I don't think that will make any difference, it probably should but also probably won't.
    Thanks, osvaldo, for one more comment on the 4.6. I'm convinced!
  • she1122she1122 Member Posts: 33
    Is there any chance that Ford will put one of their great diesels in the Expedition? I would buy one!