Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Security Passlock Problems

Comments

• haroldcrammharoldcramm Member Posts: 5
    is it possible the dealer changed the key in our car he put a new ignition in and new key, could that make the security passlock light go on ?
    where is the yellow wire to disable the passlock
  • sppagesppage Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem similar to yours. here is the details about my car are its a 2000 grand am I just got new brakes, a battery, and new tires. I first noticed the security light coming on when starting the car and staying on until the next time I turned off the car in late spring early summer. I then had the trouble starting my car due to the passlock problem and replaced the battery (i did need a new one) and took it to the big D and the guy said something about the reset technique but I might eventually have to get a new ignition cylinder. well last night 9 pm after coming from the grocery store my car would not start had no power no radio no power windows. so after messing with the battery connections and giggling it around I got it to start and the security light came on so typical except this time it didn't crank it and no lights on the dashboard came on and no guages moved and it clicked when the key was turned to start. so I was about to go to work same problem but the security light didn't come on when it finally started. then my boss played around with the battery connections made sure they were tight and thought maybe if I kept this little red cap that goes over the positive node on the battery connected it would be alright (seemed to start no problem with that off) so after work starts fine I drive half a block stop for gas fill up and won't start. power when ignition is placed I the ignition no power when key is turned to on and a flashing check engine light on when turned to start and the click. so now I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to get a new cylinder ignition......although im starting to believe that it is something electrical
  • nobullchitbidsnobullchitbids Member Posts: 53
    You do not appear to be describing a PassLock problem. A flashing "check engine" light means you probably have multiple misfires (another problem with older Pontiacs not related to PassLock). You basically need a tune-up including new coils, which are the heart of the difficulty. And you have to clean the corrosion from all the electrical connections.

Screwing around with the ignition will not fix this. However, if you also have a PassLock problem, the two will combine to drive you bats. You definitely need to see a shop which can scan your computer codes. But, it looks like this is your problem, not PassLock.
  • sppagesppage Member Posts: 2
    im sorry what are these coils you are talking about? I don't know much about cars and what do you mean by misfires?....next time im just going to get the horse n buggy
    i know it is apasslock probel the security light comes on and once i do the steps to unlock it it is fine my car 2003 but it does it often
  • rkwaldronrkwaldron Member Posts: 1
    I spent $680 on a fuel pump, now i find out it is the dumb Security code.
    I'm willing to throw my name in the hat for a lawsuit against pontiac..
    always happens at the worst times and who wants to worry about being stuck
    somewhere. Pontiac Dealer says they don't know anything about it.. I should print out the 27+ pages of complaints about the same issue.
  • lrickleylrickley Member Posts: 1
    Here is a copy of a problem I had with my Grand Am a few years ago. I sent it all the way up to Pontiac HQ and they wouldn't do jack to help.

March 18, 2003
    Pontiac - General Motors
    Customer Assistance Center
    Dear Sir or Madam:
    I am the owner of a 2001 Pontiac GrandAm SE1 3400 V6 which I purchased about 2 years ago from Plaza Pontiac GMC in Omaha, Nebraska. I am writing to you because of the experience I recently had at this dealership after having my car towed there for warranty work. On the morning of Tuesday, March 11, 2003, I went to my garage and tried to start my car and it would not start. The engine was turning over but the car would refuse to start. I thought this was strange since the car had been running fine the night before when I shut it off and I never had a problem starting it before. Well the car is well under warranty (23,000 miles) so I called the dealership (Plaza Pontiac GMC) to have it towed and diagnosed/repaired. Plaza said it would be no problem and they would get to it that afternoon. I had another car to drive in the meantime, so to be without out it for awhile was fine.
    At 3:00 p.m. on March 11, 2003, I received a call from Don in service at Plaza and he asked me first when did I last fill up with gas? I told him last night, and from the gas station I always buy gas from. He told me that my gas tank was completely full of water and my fuel system was destroyed. He said that I needed a new fuel pump, new fuel sending unit, my injectors might need to be replaced and the fuel system would need a complete cleaning. This all of course would be paid for by me, a total of $1065.00 because it was not covered under warranty because of the bad gas. I asked him how I could have filled up with bad gas (12 gallons of it to be exact into a 13 gallon tank) and drive 20 miles home with no problems. He said he did not know but that he did know that the water had damaged at least the parts he told me he knew about but that he would not be surprised if there was more damage that had occurred. He even told me that they put some of this gas onto the ground and threw a match on it and it would not burn.
    I hung up the phone and immediately went down to the gas station where I purchased the gas and talked with the manager there which then sent me down to the corporate office for Amoco Omaha. His name is Steve Buchanan (402-558-9860) and he owns many gas stations in the Omaha metro area. He told me that no one else had complained about bad gas and that the station I bought gas from is one of the busiest in town and there would have been cars lined up down the street had there been a problem with the gas. He told me to call the dealer back and that he would have his mechanics tow it down to his shop and have a look at it. I agreed a second opinion might be good. So it was agreed upon, I did however, have to pay Plaza Pontiac $153.99 to get my car released.
    The next day 3/12/03, I received word from Steve Buchanan that his mechanics found nothing wrong with the gas and nothing wrong with my car. All the major systems checked out fine but the car still would not start. He said that my remote start might be to blame but he didn’t know for sure and asked if I could have the installer of the remote start system check it out to make sure. I said I would try to get someone there. I called the shop that installed the remote start system last year and they came right down to check it out. He checked all the components and everything tested out fine, so he asked if the GM passlock security system had been checked. I told him I was unaware if it had been checked so he inserted my key into the ignition system and turned it to “on” for 10 minutes to reset or relearn the key and presto, the car started right up. Same gas, same parts, same everything, the car had no problems after this operation was completed. 200 miles later I have still had not problems. This leads me to the purpose of this letter.
    As you can gather from my letter, I am greatly concerned about the honesty and integrity of your Dealership/Warranty service workmanship. How can I ever trust Plaza Pontiac again? I was reimbursed for both the $153.99 from Plaza and the $115.99 bill from Amoco by Plaza Pontiac so I am not out any money (out of pocket anyway, my time is another story), but I am very disappointed that I was lied to and almost ripped off. If I had agreed to pay for the repairs, I would have been stuck with no way to prove that the gas was to blame or that there had actually been any damage to the car. The bottom line is that the dealership is either dishonest or incompetent. Either way the customer loses and I will now unfortunately have to tell my friends and family to stay away from Plaza Pontiac for sales and service both since they cannot be trusted. I am only writing you because I thought you should have the right to know the kinds of things your “quality GM service centers” are doing to the customers.
    If you want to speak with me personally feel free to call me at 402-XXXXXXXX. If I do not hear from you within 2 weeks, I will be forced to report this to the Better Business Bureau. I don’t want to create a problem but this is a serious deal, I was lied to and if I wasn’t lied to then Plaza Pontiac is not fit to repair or for that matter sell your fine automobiles. I have enclosed copies of the bills from both Plaza Pontiac and Amoco’s service. Thank you for your help in this matter.

P.S. The only two men I spoke with at Plaza was Don (who was the head mechanic I believe at Plaza) and Mike Hook who is the service manager at Plaza. I am sorry I do not have last name for Don but if you need it I can get it for you. Addresses and phone numbers are on the copies of the bills. Steve Buchanan would be more then happy to speak with you as well 402-558-9860 (He is the business man I spoke of earlier who owns most of the gas stations in Omaha) and probably is expecting to hear from you.
  • 97grandbalck97grandbalck Member Posts: 3
    A few weeks ago my car has had the security sytem light on and i thought nothing about it. But now my car wont start. I turn the key and it starts for like a sec and dies!! Could this be a passlock problem how can i get this fixed ASAP!
    What is this talk about cutting the yellow wire? If my car has the passlock problem would this make my car run? Can someone help me?
    I have been reading your posts and you said you brought it to the dealership. Did they fix it?? Was it really your passlock?? How much did it cost? I am think about the same thing or cut the wire??? Please reply
  • tripower1tripower1 Member Posts: 25
    nobullchitbids
    The cure for the passlock system on your 99 GA, do you know if it will work on a oldsmobile 03, and with the car running and the switch in the off position the security light would be on, will it go off if I turn the switch to the on position when I'm driving, then to the off position prior to shutting the car off.
    Your thoughts are needed
    thanks
    First up: My car is a '97, not a '99; however, I don't think there was any change in the system during that time.

Second: I am told that all PassLock systems are the same. I actually got my own instructions from a truck manual previously linked by this site. Trucks need to have PassLock disabled when a remote starter is installed, since PassLock interprets the remote as an attempt to steal the car.

Third: What does it cost you to take the cowling off the steering column? It's a snap and three screws! So, you can look for free.
  • allie867allie867 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problems with my 2001 Grand Am GT. This October it was driving fine, then went to pikc up my daughter from school and it just wouldn't start. It was the pass key system. Had a new ignition column put in at $350. Guess what? TWO months later, it did it again. This time I noticed the Security light was on for one day.
    The Trac Off and ABS light ALWAYS come on for no reason and I have had mechanics turn it off often. It always comes back.

My last Ponitac was a Piece of CRAP too. It was a 1997 and it literally fell apart. Both side view mirrors fell off as if they had been hit (but hadn't). One fell off twice. The windows broke 3 times, the bumper faded as if it had been scrubbed with sandpaper, despite taking good care of it, the fabric inside split and tore, and the laternator went out. I will never by a Pontiac again and I am telling everyone else I know not to buy one. If there is a class action law suit for this count me IN!!
  • cbourdagecbourdage Member Posts: 1
    where do you get the instructions for the toggle switch?? i have a problem starting my car EVERY day! its very fusterating!!!! i've put so much money into the car to stop it and it only happens in the winter. for some odd reason! i also live close to midland so maybe i could get the same guy to fix mine. im going to try to get a hold of him. i hope i can. but please if you could tell me what i need to do. i have two 10 month old twins and i have like a survial bag in the back in case i get stranded somewhere. lol you can email me back at cbourdage@yahoo.com
  • lgdkingcanlgdkingcan Member Posts: 1
    Here is the link to disable the passlock.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=516793

Here is my current situation.
    I've had my 99grand am :lemon: for about 5 years now..(purchased used). It currently has 220,000km on it. For the past few years I have been struggling with the "won't start syndrom" and the security light flashing. I just simply left the car for 10min and went back and started it. My dealer told me I would need to replace the ignition at a price of $750. For that much money I can wait 10min...lol....

Anyhow this morning after my car had been sitting for 2 days in below freezing temputures I attempted to start and it didn't... left for 10 until the security light stopped flashing and tried again... no joy... again waited and tried again... It did this 4 times in a row. It has never acted up so badly before. So after reading this forum and others I got to thinking that maybe it was a moisture problem, so I grabbed my wifes hairdryer and aimed it at the keyhole for about 15min... tried again... no joy!.. So, knowing that WD40 repels moisture I thought it couldn't hurt to squirt a little in the keyhole... waited another 10 and tried again... this time it started!!!!! WooHoo.

I'm guessing there was moisture causing a problem and with the freezing temputures made it even worse... anyhow just wanted to tell my experience in hopes that someone gets something out of it and helps solve their problem.

Tomorrow I am definitely going to disable the passlock.

Cheers.
  • sieds5sieds5 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem w/ my 2000 Olds Alero where I had to go through the 10 minute reset ordeal on and off for about 5 months. Finally, one day the security light just came on and stays on all the time and I don't have any problems starting the car.
    However, this light stays on all the time and is there any way to get that security light to go off?
    You probably had the data wire connection corrode to the point that it's not transmitting anything (effectively neutralizing the system), and were lucky enough to have the car running at the time. Unless you're in a high-theft zone, I'd leave the matter where it stands. My light stays on all the time (recall I installed the switch). Why wake sleeping dogs?

P.S. If your battery dies, you may have to go through the entire reset hassle after you put in a new one. Cutting off electrical power completely rearms PassLock.
  • rodrickrodrick Member Posts: 2
    just replace ingnition switch and tried the put key in and wait 15 mins but light stays on will not go off will some one please give me some advice with this my wife is so mad at me and i am tired of waking up at 4 in the morning to take her to work
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    It's possible that it's some other problem in the system, like the PCM. It's not always the ignition switch.
  • rodrickrodrick Member Posts: 2
    it take 40 mins to reset!! you have to , put key in switch attempt to start but not start and leave in run position for 10 mins then turn to off for 5 secs after light goes off do this 3 times and the car acually works fine now. thank you for the quick reply but i paid a guy 30 bucks at firestone he pulled it up for me on mitchell online
  • kristin2008kristin2008 Member Posts: 1
    Well i don't know what's up with your security light. But the rest of 'em trac off and service vehicle Abs light could be your wheel hubs in the front my '01 grand am is the shop right now and that what is wrong with mine. I had the same lights on in my dash.
  • oceanghurloceanghurl Member Posts: 1
    For your information the Passlock system does not work well in other cars...I have a Saturn Ion and it has been a nightmare for me. Now I can't even start my car at all...I have read easily over a hundred such complaints from Ion owners alone, but also various other GM vehicles. :lemon:
  • pontiac4pontiac4 Member Posts: 10
    You are right, Passlock doesn't work on a lot of cars. My car is a low mileage Grand AM GT and it is in the shop again. I told them I thought it was another passlock problem but they act like they don't want to admit there is a problem. There are other discussion boards that talk about passlock problems on other GM cars.
  • jasdvajasdva Member Posts: 2
    Well from what i have read in the past few weeks about problems with the security passlock system.....i to have had some problems for a while. read the handbooks, talked to numerous dealership mechanics, and numerous people around town about their grand ams. i'm having my car worked on tomorrow 1/29/08, and the mechanic i'm taking it to said he has numerous customers with the same problem and will be booked up with at least 5 grand ams a month for the rest of the year. he told me that it IS the ignition (tumbler). for some odd reason after a few years they start to go bad. imagine that. American car breaking down when you have hondas running on forever. lol.
    i'd like to share a website for everyone to go to. don't know if it will help everyone or anyone at all. if it does help ya'll out...then use it. if everyone that has had problems with their grand ams, send pontiac a message telling them what has happened. if there is a ton of us against them..then they have to do something about the problem. if not..then the BBB, good morning america, or this particular business magazine (i cant think of right now) will have to help us americans.
    Heres the website. http://www.pontiac.com/divisional/contactus/contactus.jsp

Good Luck Everyone!!!
  • mkapasmkapas Member Posts: 2
    i have a 95 grand prix how do you get around the security thing
    :confuse:
  • mkapasmkapas Member Posts: 2
    i just bought this car and we put a battery in it and it wont start because of the security thing is there any way to fix this :lemon: :confuse: :cry: :mad: :(
    See my previous instructions. By replacing the battery, you cut the current, reactivating PassLock. For my method to work, you will have to get the car started again BEFORE cutting the data wire. You can try the wait-ten-minutes technique (key to ACC), but if that does not work, when you remove the casing from the steering-wheel post (3 screws), try jiggling the data wire when you try to start the car. The problem with mine apparently was corrosion in the data-wire leads; since disconnecting the wire, via the toggle, I've had no further incidents other than the red light not going off. Installation of the toggle is highly recommended precisely because of this described problem. It allows the data wire to be reconnected easily after a battery replacement (needed to start the car).

RBC
  • alaskarainalaskarain Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 pontiac grand prix, its been a great car but every since I got it (used, about a year ago) the ignition switch at times will be very hard to turn over, you have to wiggle the key just right, keep trying, taking the key in and out, turing the key over until it finally will turns over. I have never had a problem with the key not coming out.
    But for the last 2 months or so it stopped doing it, I was so use to having to play with the key that I noticed it right away when it stopped.

Today when I cranked the car to let it warm up, it started fine, how ever as I was driving to the grocery store I did notice the security light was on, its been extremely cold here lately -23 this morning, at times the car has been prone to have issues with system lights coming on for no reason, then going off. Dome lights will stay on longer then they should.

I have had it all checked when I had the car weatherized, they said pontiacs are pretty famous for this and they usually go off by them selfs. Even after I had the engine serviced they had a hell of time getting the service engine light to go off.

Of all the times....I spent 300.00 in grocerys and got everything loaded in the car, it would crank up then a few seconds later just shut off, it acted like it did when my friend tryed to use the spare key to crank it.

I pulled out the manual and read and did the whole 10 minutes thing, Im freezing in the bitter cold, but finally find someone to call, finally got it towed to the mechnic and he thinks its the switch too, but we don't know for sure. I did notice that while this was happening the electric window barely went up.

After reading all theses post about this being a ongoing issue im worried. I live in alaska and you can't afford to get stranded here, it can be the diffrence between life and death depending on where your stranded.

Does anyone know if there has been some kind of recall becasue of these issues with the ingition switches? :sick:
  • derek1701derek1701 Member Posts: 1
    i have 98 sonoma where this week i replaced the turn signal switch. after i finished repairs the passive 2 lock system came on and will not allow me to start truck. i know the repair was fine because the swith works just the security light is on constant. i have read all the ways to bypass the system or reboot all have failed. one question i have not seen on here is why or is possable to bypass the system futher down like where the computer sends the command to the ingectors. is there a way to cut a wire close to the motor to stop the injectors from being shut off. any help would be great its ethier this or spending 500 600 hundrend down at gmc for them to fix
  • banjo0421banjo0421 Member Posts: 1
    Put your key in the ignition and turn it, put the car in gear and crank it over.

First, did you mean put this in gear. Second, will this work for a 2001.

I mean this in humor, It makes me feel better that im not the only one going through this **$&.

I have paid for two $400.00+ dollar computers for this. Helped temorarily, although i think the POS mechanic was just resetting it. The reset helped for a while, but now it wont work at all. Starts up then dies. What im seeing different at this point is mysecurity light is staying solid and not blinking.

I believe im going to try this permanent pass lock assuming it works for 2001. :mad: :mad: :confuse: :cry:
  • trkennytrkenny Member Posts: 2
    Apologies, I don't check this message board that often anymore because it appears that my problems with the passlock thing is resolved. You said that you live close to Midland, MI...if so then contact Bob at Auto Technicians in Midland, provide them with the instructions in nobullchitbids posting here:

nobullchitbids, "Pontiac Grand Am Security Passlock Problems" #209, 16 Sep 2007 6:43 pm#208

Any updates on your situation anyway? I'm curious to hear if you ever got this fixed. I still drive the Grand Am, it's still a piece of junk and now there are all kinds of other problems with it (things that can be fixed normally) but I can't wait until we decide to trade this [non-permissible content removed] in.

Best of luck, let me know how it all goes,
    TK
  • waybabydollwaybabydoll Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand am.I bought it with only 16000 miles on it{May 2006}.I had it for 1 month and the security started acting up.It would not start at all.I had to have it towed 4 different times since then back to the dealer ship.I was stranded at the state fair with my 2 kids 100 miles from home until a tow truck came.I did not get home til 4 am.The dealer ship blamed me for the problem.After threatning marks from my husband,the deciced to fix it.After 3 weeks it did it again.Another tow job.They told me it was the battery.A month later,same thing.As at this present moment it is at the dealership again.They put me a new ignition switch in and a new computer system.Just waiting to see what that bill is.
    Will fill you in when I get it back.
  • alaskarainalaskarain Member Posts: 2
    Since my grand prix had been sitting at the dealership waiting for the new security system to come in and them giving me every excuse under the sun about the delays, I just decided to trade it in, with the understanding they cover the 700.00 repair bill. Being in Alaska and going to the remote places I do I simple do not trust it no more. I traded it in for a Mercedes-Benz ML430 4x4 Its alot better for what I need anyways and its sweet!!
  • hgosinskihgosinski Member Posts: 22
    I know how you feel. I had the dealership fix mine, and it was fine for a good year, and now it is doing the same thing, won't start half the time and leaves me stranded. BEWARE: I too got a new ignition switch, and they did something to the passlock as well, but I say beware because it will eventually leave you stranded agian. It may not be for a month, or a year, but it will happen again because Pontiac does not make a good piece to fix this. They won't recall it, nor will they try to come up with a way to fix it because it is not a safty issue. Good luck...
  • jasdvajasdva Member Posts: 2
    all the things that has happened to my car has. i have a 2001 pontiac grand am. when all of this security passlock crap happened....i was baffled. i had it towed to a garage down the street. the mechanic (which is an awesome guy) has had quite a few grand ams with the same problem. he replaced the ignition switch along with the computer chips in my car. that cost me $300 to get that all fixed...supposedly. then the inevitable (spelling) happened once again. i was like omg...after $300 put in the darn thing, i thought it would be all ok. only this time...i got it started then turned my heater on...and everything died. i was like hummmmm. it took me another 15 minutes to get it started. go figure. lol. i told the mechanic what happened this time...and he said that pin pointed everything. it was the electrical part of the ignition switch. the first time being fixed, it just wasn't getting a spark when turning over. that is the reason why my "service enging soon" light didnt come on. so if you guys go and have the switch replaced, make sure you tell them to replace the tumbler, computer chips, and the electrical part of the switch. it's the only way to fix the problem. he told me also that the dealerships are stocked up heavily with al these parts, becuase they know it is happening all over!! but yet, GM/Pontiac isn't going to make a recall....well for now anyways. till then i will keep my reciepts and will send them the bill. oh yea..before i forget....this second thing that happened...it cost me another 300 bucks. so a grand total of $600.00 will fix your problem. they just dont make cars like they use to anymore. it's better to go with a toyota or a honda.....that way at least you'll know it will last forever, but the downfall...the cost when it breaks down is costly. i had a honda when in school and about 4 years after high school, that sucker just ran and ran and ran with no prblms what-so-ever. well i hope all of this helped anyone or everyone. GOOD LUCK YA'LL!!!
  • cuppycake22cuppycake22 Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a pontiac grand am gt 04 and i have a problem with the security as well. i had my car towed to a friends garage they messed with it for 3 days and figured it out. the security light flashes when the car wont start right keep you key in on acc and wait for your security light to stop blinking then crank it itll work it has happened to me since about 3 times :confuse: it will take about 10 min and its annoying but at least itll work afterward i promise save your money
    You have more then just a passlock thing going on. My daughters 03 alero would fail to start every now and then, she would get in the car and try to start it and nothing would happen and the Security light would be flashing, she'ed wait the 10 min, the light would go out and it would start then the Security light would stay on.
    Now what I found it this. If your security light stays on then you have a bad connection between the ignition and passlock computer which is no problem until it get a good connection then it locks you out and the Security light is flashing.
    I followed the directions and cut the wire and installed a switch. I'll let you all know how it works out but so far it's good to go. :):):)
    :)
    This will work for a while, but your not correcting the problem, just re-setting the security system. Eventually it will not reset. The most common reason for this failure by far is the Hall-effect sensor mounted on the ignition switch, which requires replacement of the switch or the bypass procedure that has been discussed here before.
    Occasionally the problem has been found to be corrosion in the connector on the BCM (there's no Passlock "computer"), or a problem in the BCM itself.
    One thing to watch for is if the security light is illuminating while the car is running. Not flashing, solid. If this happens then a security system fault is being detected.
    I had the hall effect sensor replaced 8 months agoa, now my car is doing the same thing, starting when it feels like starting. They are telling me that there is no good sensor, and it needs to be replaced all the time. Pontiac charged me 600.00 to repair that...I can't afford that every 8 months! :mad:
    And I assume the security light is flashing when you try to start?
    I'm on my third Grand Am, in over 300K miles between them I've only had this problem once. I suspect moisture may have something to do with it, it's usually very dry here in the southwest.
  • xteceaxtecea Member Posts: 1
    I am starting to have the same security lock problems with my car. I just contacted GM about the issue and I think it's a great idea for other owers to do the same. It will take less then a minute and it will let GM know this is a common problem not just a few out of thousands, so please take a minute and do this also.
  • dcheiteldcheitel Member Posts: 11
    A month or so ago I emailed GM about this. I got an email back as well as a very professional phone call apologizing for what im experiencing but this is not something they are aware of.

What BS, its so surprising that a large company like this can play so blind to its consumers. I have this no start problem a good amount of the time and its so infuriating.

Hopefully if more people report it, they may actually do something.
  • mwmoldmwmold Member Posts: 1
    I know this is really hard to believe,66000 miles, after reading all the messages about this issue, but now I too have the same , Security light flashing, let it sit for 10 min. and then it will start Hall effect sensor probs.I first checked everything from fuel press.(60 psi.) at the rail to spark at the plugs, disconnecting the Bat. and checking the fuel cap for tightness,Fuel pump, etc... I learned more from burdawgs' comments than any other, and I think he may be the authority, Thank you, I agree and I sent Pontiac a note describing the prob. and asking will they issue recall or do we have to pay, and/or get used to this aggravation? I own three vehicles, a Honda and a Toyota, no satisfaction could equal a Pontiac for Sale! Waiting for price now on Dealer repair estimate, would not using the remotes help? Thank you.
    Using the remote or not using it won't make any diffference.
    Well, it hasn't quite been a year since the hall/passlock sensor has been replaced, and the car is doing the same thing. Starting whenever it feels like it. I can't afford 600 bucks again. This is the third time now. I have to do this about once a year. I am still afraid to have the wires cut...I am so afraid that it just won't ever start again if I do this. Maybe I have no other choice, because their faulty parts are breaking me. Pontiac called me back, and said the same thing they told others. That they were not aware of the problem. BS! :mad:
    I was afaid to, cutting the yellow wire was a hard thing to do even though it was my daughters car. I got tired of hereing her complane about waiting the 10 min so I did it and boy was I glade when the car started. I put the switch in and told her about it and that it was there if she ever had to change the battery or it went dead.
    gess what, she called me last friday and told me the car wouldn't start, after several questions I found out that she had no power to any thing evern her remote door locks, battery dead because she left the lights on. The battery was completly dead and after charging it up with my van it started with no problem
    Do it and you'll love it
    :D :shades:
    If you have ice on your sidewalk, and you know there is ice on your sidewalk, and you do nothing about it, and somebody slips and falls, who pays to mend the broken bones?

Of course Pontiac will deny knowing there is a problem. Quitcherbitchen and cut in the switch -- I'm still goin'.
  • mkirby5mkirby5 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to say Thanks for this web posts and to tell those who are in the situation of having your security light come on in your Grand Am and then you car not starting that..... THIS WORKS! Luckily yesterday, after my car wouldn't start and the security light had been coming on and off for a few days before, I went online and just googled my problem and happened upon this website. After reading the posts and seeing that I was not the only one having this problem, I took the advice of burdawg and cut the yellow wire last night and saved myself a tow and repair bill for something they probably wouldn't have fixed anyways!

It was fairly simple to do (my husband and I have NO car knowledge and are generally not too handy about fixing things.) But, we opened the radio area, took out the radio, cut the yellow wire and taped it up and now my car starts and starts and starts. I'm fine with having the anti-theft protection off, if someone really wants to steal this piece of crap car, go for it!

So, thanks again! And for those of you in this boat, just do it and save yourself the money and time of taking it into a repair shop........
    Don't forget that if your battery goes dead or you change the battery you'll need to reconnect the yellow wire to start your car, that's why the switch was advised so you didn't need to take the radio out again.
    good luck