Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    I have a 1998 Expedition. My check engine light is on for the third time since July. The dealer has reset it each time but offers no explanation other than that is related to the emission control system and may also be related to the gas cap. I think the gas cap theory is wrong because I have tightened the gas cap and refilled the tank per the manual and the light stays on. Any thoughts?
  • sml13sml13 Member Posts: 1
    Go back and make the dealer fix whatever the problem is that is causing this light to come on. The check engine light is only supposed to come on when the engine's computer, which constantly monitors conditions within the engine, detects something that indicates a problem. It is not solely related to emissions. The owner's manual for my current car says that extended driving without correction can cause additional damage to the engine.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Once the "check engine" light is on it will not go off, even if the problem that created it is fixed. It has to be reset, usually by the dealer. So if you were having a check engine light on for a gas cap being too loose, it will not go off even when tightened. Had the same problem on my 2000 already. The service tech gave me this info.
  • thomasithomasi Member Posts: 9
    should register a code into the truck's computer which the dealer can read. There should be no guess work.
  • woodfauxwoodfaux Member Posts: 2
    Posters are correct that the check engine light indicates problems other than the engine. Had a new transmission put in my '97 expy at 52000 mi.
    Less than a 1000 miles later the check engine light came on.Turns out the torque converter in the trans. was bad. The computer code told the shop about it, also info in there about the new tranny. Your dealer should be able to read the code and I.D. the problem.
  • bob88bob88 Member Posts: 1
    First of all the light will go out on its own if the problem goes away. It takes so many run cycles. If the problem persists it will stay on.

Second-- For those that are unhappy with their dealers, go to a Lincoln Mercury dealer. That's where I go (Ray Price in East Stroudsburg PA) and they treat you a whole lot better than Ford Dealers do. There was also a TSP released that advised dealers about how to handle Expy owners. It was TSB 99s12-s1. I'd love to see what it says.

I had a 97 Expy as well as 99 EB which was destroyed in a tornado in Wisconsin and currently own a 2000 ( build date 7/2000). I LOVE THEM ALL.

I'd buy again--Bob
  • anfanf Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a new 2000 Expedition EB about 5 days ago.

I'm experiencing a slight vibration, or shudder, that seems to start at about 30 MPH and continues up into highway speeds. The vibration is worst at about 45 MPH. It doesn't seem to be related to acceleration, deceleration or rough roads. There also doesn't seem to be an associated noise, or moan. My vehicle has load leveling suspension (if that matters).

I plan to take it back to the dealer, but want to gather some info first.

I've seen several other postings on vibration problems, but they seem to be described as a driveline "droan" that appears at higher speeds around 65 MPH. A suggested fix for this is to replace the driveshaft and install a vibration damper on the rear axle.

There are also a couple of vibration-related TSBs. One is "under low speed acceleration". The other is "vibration/moan at highway speeds".

Neither the problems reported on this board nor the TSBs seem to describe my problem exactly. Does my problem sound familiar to anyone? Could it be the same as the drone problem?

Thanks -- anf
    Brand New 2000 EB Expedition. Check engine light on again for the second time in 3200 miles. This time asked them to check out the strong gasoline smell around the drivers door area. Conclusion: Bad fuel control valve, and gas cap not sealing properly. Allowing "inappropriate" venting of the gas tank. Well, I have had 4 previous Fords, and if this fixes the problem it will be the first time one trip resulted in a resolution. Fingers are crossed.
  • bbaxter1bbaxter1 Member Posts: 1
    Vabedouin,
    I am also experiencing the suspension squeak problem you describe in message # 40. I have 20,000 miles on my '99 EB. I have not yet tried to solve the problem. Have you discovered a fix? Anyone? Please advise!
  • mnatolimnatoli Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2000 4x2 EB Expy. Think I got a good deal. Loaded with second row captains chairs, third row seating, heated seats, towing package, 5.4 L engine, 6 Cd changer, power everything. Payed 34,600 with .9% financing.

One problem. The truck is clearcoat black with gold trim. I love the color but it seems that the hood and top of the vehicle has what seems to be acid rain damage. I noticed this on the first truck I took delivery on and returned it. The deal, Banner Ford in Atlanta Ga, gave me a new vehicle that I have now noticed has the same problem.

I went to a new dealer and showed him the truck. He said that it is normal and unavoidable to have this problem and that my truck was in better shape than the 2000 models he has on the lot, especially the black Expys. I told him that I would return my truck and buy from him but he said that he honestly would not have anything in his inventory in better shape.

I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THIS "ACID RAIN" DAMAGE IS SO COMMON.

Has anyone else had this problem? What should I do?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    It may be more likely that it is hard water marks left over from their washing (unless of course they dried it off). I have had three black cars (two Fords) and have never had any trouble. Try using a glaze on some of the spots, and I'm sure you will see the marks go away. Make no mistake about black though, it is one of the hardest colors to maintain. It shows everything - swirls, buffing marks, hard water spots. Looks great when cleaned and dried though.
  • cdreiercdreier Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 Expy, Eddie Bauer, has General "Grabbers". The door sticker says to inflate the front tires to 26PSI, the rear to 30 PSI. The tires themselves show a maximum PSI of 44. Are we seeing the same thing here with under-inflated tires as on the Explorer? I'm a little concerned about this. Any thoughts??
    Had one of the local dealer/mgrs in the office today. He indicated that there is an approaching recall on the Expeditions. Seems an "O" ring in the gas line somewhere is faulty. Causes leaks etc. ala the Space shuttle tragedy. At least that explains the strong gasoline odor I have oozing from our 2000 Expedition.
  • jtmoney1jtmoney1 Member Posts: 1
    I also got a rear squeak after we went to a "mud-in" up in NC. Try this- open the back door and notice two black bumpers midway up the door frame. Use some sort of lubrication on both sides of each one. Also lube up the part that touches it on the door. If you don't have any lube oil, use cooking oil for a temp fix. Open and shut the door 10 times and take for a ride.
    JTMoney
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Hello to all,

I am getting close to lease-end on my '98 Expy EB, and I am trying to decide between an '01 EB or a minivan. Has anyone seen the factory installed rear seat video system? I've been looking, but I can't find one. There are several aftermarket systems out there, but I would prefer one from the factory.

TIA,
    SST
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I just had one retrofitted to my 99. It's made by Visteon. I paid $1650 including tax and installation plus another $100 for the wireless headphones.

It replaces the rear A/C controls and the installer tells me that they no longer make the model with the FM modulation so you can use the wireless headphones or tune the vehicle radio to hear the audio, so check with the dealer before you order it.

It works great. I like the VCR position. Only problem is running the wires for the headphones so they're out of the way but that just requires some velco or a hook attached to the headliner. The quality is great but the TV tuner is very weak. I didn't buy it for that so I don't care. An external antenna is probably available.

Audiovox makes a similar system but costs more because it replaces the entire overhead console. But it does keep the rear A/C controls. But the VCR mounts under the seat and is not as convenient.

I highly recommend it.
    I want to retrofit the new Homelink garage opener to my 99. I have one in my Lincoln LS and it's great. In my Lincoln it's in the visor but the parts guy couldn't find a visor with the controls. Does anyone know where the opener is mounted in the 2001?
  • ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    when you set it on any temperature (ex. 74),
    the fan never shuts off even when it reaches that
    temperature, it always stays on about a notch up
    from the fan's lowest setting.
    i'm having to lower the fan manually.
    asked the dealer, they said this was normal.
    is this true? does everyone works the same way?
    i rented a 2000 volvo sedan and it works like our
    a/c heater thermostat at home, it goes off when it
    reaches the temperature desired.

thanks
    Mine works the same way
  • thomasithomasi Member Posts: 9
    up to pressure recommended by TIRE manufacturer. If max presure is 44 lbs then 26frt/30 back is too low. I would get them up to 38 - 40 lb range. The ride will be more firm, gas mileage will definitely improve (Expeditions need all the help they can get), and tire temperature will go down.
  • tsaylestsayles Member Posts: 8
    HomeLink:
    The HomeLink for the 2001 EB Expy is also on the driver side visor. Yeah, it's cool but the owners manual did not have instructions on how to program the darn thing. So, I had to venture to Homelinks website for instructions. Their website was very useful. http://homelink.jci.com/

Rear Entertainment Center:
    If you get a new EB Expy definitely get this system. Here in Southern California it is actually free. I hope that doesn't bum anyone. Here is a PRO/CON list:

PROS:
    1. It's just cool.
    2. The LCD screen has great color and sound goes though the stereo or the IR headsets. It also has a remote control so that the driver does not have to operate the VCR controls.
    3. It's FREE.
    4. Keeps the wife in the back seat.

CONS:
    1. It does not have a TV turner but you may be able to change VCRs and add an antenna. Here in So. Cal. with the mountains and valleys, it would not help.
    2. The main complaint I have is the RCA jacks are in the overhead console. Who thought of that !!! They should have been located near the lower power plug accessible from the middle seats.
    3. I guess my third gripe would be, it would have been so easy for Ford to have made the CD changer DVD compatible. That's just being picky, I guess that's a 2002 option.
    4. Keeps the wife in the back seat. :-)
    minor correction - the headsets are RF (radio frequency) not IR (infrared). They're actually FM radio headsets that you tune to the broadcast station the same as the car stereo (usually 87.9).
    Mine is full hi-fi stereo with record capability and a TV tuner. I was under the impression that this was the only one available but I could be wrong. Are you sure yours is a factory Visteon unit and not some dealer added accessory?

Thanks for the homelink note. I guess the parts computer didn't have the homelink visor yet. I'll check again.
  • tsaylestsayles Member Posts: 8
    akirby,
    Your RSES is different from mine then. My VCR does not have a TV turner, a record feature, and the headsets are definitely IR. To play the sound through the stereo you do have to tune the radio to 88.7 (that's what mine is set to) because it uses FM modulator.
    It sounds like your refit is better than the factory version Ford offers. I'm not sure what brand my RSES is, the manuals did not reveal that information.
    Was it on the printed Factory sticker or added on by the dealer? Does it say Ford or Visteon on the instructions?

I heard they were having problems with the RF headsets and had discontinued them but I was still able to get a pair. Maybe they switched to IR to fix that. Of course mine was a bit more expensive ($1700 installed) with 2 RF headphones and 2 wired headphones. Although I would have taken the less expensive one if it was offered. Could be the Visteon OEM unit and the Visteon aftermarket unit are different. Neither the Visteon web site (www.evisteon.com) nor the retail site www.radiosandmore.com (nor my local installer) offered a choice.

I agree about running the rca plugs. I plan to either put in a set through the headliner or semi-permanently attach them with a hook of some sort. I used velcro on the first trip and it worked fairly well, although it doesn't stick to the headliner very well.
  • skiatlskiatl Member Posts: 20
    The latest attempt to fix my vibration issue has failed.
    The Ford engineer recommended replacing the steel wheels
    with aluminum. They had a service bulletin for a purging
    of inventory because of bad steel used in the wheels. I
    agreed because I liked the 17" aluminum wheels on the sport
    package. Now after replacing the drive shaft, adding axle
    and exhaust dampeners, replacing the General tires with
    Goodyears, and finally replacing the wheels nothing has
    changed. I told the service mngr that they were working
    in the wrong area as I felt it was transmission related
    as it is not as bad when I turn O/D off. I have contacted
    a lemon law attorney and awaiting the next step. Its a
    shame because I really like the vehicle except for this
    problem that cant be fixed.
    I have the vibration too, and after 7 trips back and a boat load of new parts it is still there. I have begun the arbitration process, and have a hearing scheduled for Feb. Hopefully I will reach an agreement with Ford before then. I will replace it with another Expy.
  • kelmarykelmary Member Posts: 1
    I also have the vibration at highway speeds in additon to the steering problems that I have had since the vehicle had 114 miles on it. This vehicle has been in the shop three times since I bought it for steering related problems and has been in the shop for the past nine days (waiting on a factory steering box). The dealer doesn't seem to know what is causing the vibration, states could be the General tires or possibly the steel wheels. I suggested the Lemon Law and he requested one more chance to get it "right" and if I wasn't satisfied that he would get the Ford representative to talks with me about a replacement vehicle. I need some ideas on what to do next... any suggestions?
    Thanks
    In most states you need at least 4 repair trips anyway, so go along with his plan. The details of the lemon law programs vary from state to state, so you will need to make yourself familiar with what applies to you. CT has all the info on a web site, so it is just download, notarize, ans send it out. The state responds to you within 5 days to let you know if you are eligible for arbitration, and they set a date within 90 days for a hearing.
  • lnocera5lnocera5 Member Posts: 1
    Have 32000 miles on my 98 Ex without a problem, until last week when the engine started rumbling and I couldn't go over 40 mph. When I tried to really give it the gas the service engine light came on. It has been in the shop for 3 days now, and the service technicians can't find the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem.
    The service engine light did go away when I started it up to take it to the dealer.
    HELP
  • gettingold1gettingold1 Member Posts: 4
    Thats an easy one, its your oxygen sensor, we had the same problem on our 97 E.B. Expedition, they should know this,but they may need to order the part.
  • sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    [x-posted]

A friend bought the 2000 Expedition XLT.

He now wants to put on the wheel flares and body moldings that come with the Navigator or Eddie Bauer Expedition. Any ideas where he can lay his hands on this? And for how much?
    He also wants to put in an upgraded exhaust and en engine chip. Any suggestions?
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We bought a new Eddie Bauer yesteday. Great truck!

However, there are no instructions on how to program the Homelink buttons in the owners manual. I tried holding our garage door opener next to the buttons and pushing its button while holding one Homelink button down for up to 45 seconds. It didn't "learn" a thing.

Can anyone tell me the secret of how to program these buttons?

Thanks!
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    I picked up my new '01 XLT last week, and drove 350 miles home. I went to lunch the next day, drove home and it dumped all the rear axle fluid on the garage floor!! The repairing dealer(after many delays and excuses, says the rear end was machined wrong and it needs a new rear axle because it won't hold the seal....Has anyone heard of this problem yet? My wife wanted a Tahoe so she is really mad and my neighbors are still laughing at me for having to have it towed after day 1! Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it?
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<garage door opener next to the buttons and pushing its button while holding one Homelink button down for up to 45 seconds. It didn't "learn" a thing.>>
    Go to www.homelink.com. The instructions for programming can be found from here.
  • dredererdrederer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Expedition with 5000 miles that has a heat distribution problem. When the heater is directed to the floor, the heat is not equally distributed between the driver side floor and passenger floor. The driver side blows out at a much greater force resulting in a Hot driver and a cold passenger. The dealer says that this is by design and is not a defect. They attempted to "fix" it by folding the ducts to blow more air to the passenger side but say this will affect the rear heating. It did not even come close to helping the original problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions of where to go next to get the problem fixed?
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    We have used Shell 87 octane in our 99 EB 4x2 since we bought it new in Sept 98. It has 42K miles on the odometer now. No problems until recently. The engine definitely seems to idle rougher than it used to. We switched to 91 octane and it improved it.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Our 99 EB 4x2 came with Goodyears. We have been very happy with the tires. We have 42K plus miles on it and the tires still have a good bit of tread life yet.

We are in the market for a 3rd vehicle and have the luxury to take our time looking. As a result we are looking at virtually everything. Was quit surprised to find that the new Acura MDX has considerable more cargo room than our Expy. The MDX 3rd seat folds flat into the floor, whereas the Expy 3rd seat must be tilted forward and secured with the Stow-away (a real pain in the neck). Speaking of pain in the neck, removing the 3rd seat is a real pain with the Stow-away installed, yet the Stow-away is the only way I know of to secure the 3rd seat when tilted forward. At $125 the Stow-away is a necessary expensive pain-in-the-neck!!
    I think 2000 and newer Expys have the stow away built into the seat at no cost.
    It is in the 2000 Expy and newer models. Comes standard with 3rd seat. Still, loose a lot of cargo space without taking out the 3rd seat. Sure would be nice to have that stowaway 3rd seat feature like the MDX.
  • mprostmprost Member Posts: 2
    I, too, still have the vibration on my 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. They have balanced and rebalanced the tires, repositioned the tires, put a damper on the muffler and still a vibration. To make matters worse, today the rear air suspension went out. Talk about a nightmare. The car was resting on the rear wheels. We think we are going to try the arbitration process. Has anyone been through the arbitration with any success.
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<When the heater is directed to the floor, the heat is not equally distributed between the driver side floor and passenger floor>>
    First check that the carpet on the passenger side is folded UNDER the floor duct and isn't blocking it. If the carpet is OK, you can tape off part of the opening on the driver's side with duct tape. Experiment with how much you need to tape off to equalize heat. The ducts to the rear come out under the front seats. You can also tape off these as necessary to tune the airflow.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Should not have to be remedied with Duct Tape. I agree that the heating system is poorly designed in this things.

It becomes so much more apparent when you have two different makes of vehicles to compare against each other.
    Well after 5 attempts to fix, and since the vibration cant be located, Ford is offering a swap out of some sort. The dealership is putting together figures to see how much Ford will need to "adjust" for me to get in a 2001...some good news..just found out that the 2001 have 2.9 for 60 months.
    Unless the rates changed from last Saturday, when we bought our new Expy, 2.9 is only good for 36 months. Rates are higher for 48 and 60 month loans.
  • larry1965larry1965 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 97 Expedition. I noticed the lights of the running boards on the drivers side wasn't working. There were several wires hanging down. After putting the wires back together properly and taping everything up. Neither the drivers side or now the passenger side lights work on the running boards. I called my local Ford dealer. They said they had no ideal if it was a fuse or a relay that may be bad. I purchased a Haynes manual from Napa. Nothing about running boards or fuses were in it. Anybody have any ideals??

Larry Cochrane
    larry@bnin.net
    I dont know if it is just local, (Southeast)but the promo runs from 1/10-1/16. You can get the $1000 rebate or 0.9/1.9/2.9 rates.......must be because there is such a glut of these things....dont feel bad, when I bought mine in Sept the rates went to 0.9 for 60 mos....i could have saved $100 a month.
  • amakkaramakkar Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I'm a college grad, drove toyota's all my life, love them. I am dying to buy an SUV, other cars just seem too boring. I'm one of those people who don't really need an SUV, I don't drive off road, don't have kids, not a big guy, drive 10 miles to work, haven't had an SUV before. Yet, I still want to enjoy driving a large, beautiful car. I've sat in a Toyota 4Runner, their inside is absolutley cramped and not comfortable! besides, they are very expensive for their size. So I went for the larger suv line, the Tahoe and Expedition stood out as the most good looking. Again, I don't care about the gas economy and as long as the price is below 30k I won't mind, all I want is a very comfortable car that is fun to drive !!

any advice would be highly appreciated !!
    thank you
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    Fixing an Eddie Bauer with duct tape is an abomination.

Here is the proper fix. It is Ford part # FB-33467x. The description is as follows:

Eddie Bauer Limited color-coordinated flexible mastic attachment mechanism.

Size: 2" wide by 150 feet
    Available colors: Silver
    Ford price: $57
    Which SUV you decide on is very much a personal preference. We opted for a new Expy for two reasons: 1) It has the room we wanted. 2) Its not a GM product (hate 'em).

We looked at the Toyota Sequoia too, but rejected it because the supply has yet to exceed the demand and Toyota dealers will NOT give good deals on them.

To get any full-size SUV for under $30K you will have to buy a used one. I've seen used 2000 Expys (not Eddie Bauers) selling locally (Denver) for around $25K.

All this being said, you should really take some SUVs for LOOONNGG test drives before you decide to buy one. They are basically trucks (Jeeps and some others have unibodies and are less truck-like) and ride like trucks. They also don't handle particularly well and are prone to rolling over if you make a hasty move. You may not like what you're getting into.
  • linzilinzi Member Posts: 5
    Larry1965-from Linzi
    I have a 1998 Expedition, so I got the Haynes repair Manual#36059,1997 thru 1999. In Chap. 12-go to 12-28 for the electrical diagram, which shows the lamps, the Running Board Lamp Relay, and
    the Fuse. I hope this helps.