Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Transmission

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi ep1:

I DO NOT know the exact software package! ------ The first thing you need to do is to open up a case number with GM. ----- You can contact Customer Relations over the phone and accomplish this task. ---- GM will assign you a case worker. --- Then make an appointment with you dealer, and tell the service advisor that you have a case number. ----- Give the service advisor the name of your Case Worker and the case number. --- This was the action that I took to get my vehicle repaired. ----- I made it VERY CLEAR to the GM Case Worker that I wanted the vehicle repaired in a professional manner. ----- (I MADE IT A POINT TO BE VERY PROFESSIONAL.) ----- I told the Case Worker that I was bringing my vehicle in for service, and I wanted him to work with the dealer to make things happen! ----- I DID NOT FIGHT WITH THE DEALER. ----- I EXPLAINED MYSELF IN A VERY PROFESSIONAL MANNER. It took 12,000 miles for my Malibu to start surging, so something had changed in the vehicle! --------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne :shades: ;):) ------
    Hi Chasf:
    Contact GM and open up a "Case Number" then work with both the dealer and GM in a professional manner! ---------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • ep1ep1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Dwayne, yes I did contact GM and was assigned a case worker and they have been in contact with the dealer - GM said the dealer hooked the car up to the computer and did some updating with new software!
    So far it feels like it worked the car has less hesitation and flows much better into traffic
    Good Morning ep1:

I am happy that everything worked out well for you with regards to this issue. --------- I have found that everything in life has a process. ------- Dealing with vehicle manufacturers and dealers has it's own process. ----- When you get the factory and the dealer communicating, when dealing with a problem "GREAT THINGS" can happen! ------ The "KEY" to the process is to remain positive, objective and professional throughout the entire process. ------- I found that GM was VERY professional and VERY eager to resolve the issue. --- My dealer is VERY professional and VERY cooperative. ---- In a professional way, I made it VERY clear that something had changed in 12,000 miles to cause my vehicle to start "surging," and I expected everyone to be on the same page to resolve the issue in a professional / timely manner, with a minimum of inconvenience to me the customer. ---- GM and my dealer did an OUTSTANDING JOB, and my Malibu performs in an OUTSTANDING fashion. ------ I am very happy with the quality of the product and the level of professional service, (both by GM and the selling / servicing dealer), so as such, when I replace my 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, I will consider another GM vehicle, POSSIBLY ANOTHER MALIBU! ----- HIGH QUALITY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE SELLS FUTURE VEHICLES!

Best regards! --------- Enjoy your vehicle. ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • nick7302nick7302 Member Posts: 1
    Glad to have found this thread.

2.4L LTZ, 2010, with 22k miles now. Love the car...loathe the transmission. Lately it's been aggressively downshifting when we let off the gas and brake towards a stop or red light. There also is the occasional "torque hole" where we get an RPM rev in between shifts, or overly soft shifts, delays, etc. Car is my wife's daily driver and we have two infants who frequently ride in the back. My wife is not technically proficient, but it is her daily driver, and she says "it used to be smooth all the time, and now it's not." This is our first ever new car...we're young and have no affiliation to GM...in other words; we're the kind of retail buyer that typically leans towards imports and that GM needs most, as we've got plenty of car purchases in our future.

The problem seems to have just gotten worse lately, though of course no warning lights. I wonder if the heat has something to do with it...it's 100 degrees here today so if it's an overheating issue then GM is going to be dealing with lots of warranty issues down the road.

There is also a very informative discussion on this at the Malibu forum: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4843

I'm going to bring it up at the dealer for our 25k service before long to have them take a look, but I really fear the "we can't replicate" or "that is normal" response, since nothing has "failed" and there's no warning lights on. From everything I've read, I don't have much faith that GM knows what is really going on and is able (or willing) to fix this yet.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    when you take it to the dealer, will it definitely aggressively downshift on a short test drive with the service tech driving?
    Good Morning nick7302:

Contact General Motors, and open a "Case Number" with regards to this issue. ------ You will be assigned a "Case Worker" for this problem. ---------- Make a service appointment with your dealer, and give your "Case Number" to the dealer, along with the name and phone number of your "GM Case Worker." -------- BE VERY PROFESSIONAL TO EVERYONE! ----------- (This is NOT the time to loose your temper! Your goal is simply to get your vehicle repaired! That is the approach that I took with both GM and the selling / servicing dealer. When I first took delivery of my vehicle it NEVER got the posted MPG on the highway. ---- When driving at 55 to 65 mph, it felt like I was dragging a Sea Anchor. ------ Once the vehicle reached 12,000 miles, it started to "surge" going up a slight hill, either from a dead stop or traveling on the highway. ------- SOMETHING HAD CHANGED IN THE VEHICLE! --- When dealing with GM, I made it VERY CLEAR IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER that I liked my vehicle, BUT I EXPECTED THAT GM WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM!) ----- Good things will happen! -----My 2010 Malibu LTZ was fixed with an up-dated software pkg.

Best regards.
    Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • ep1ep1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the above web site its very informative. I recently went through the same thing with GM so try to do the same thing and hold your ground but keep your cool expecially with your dealer dont back down because if you let them they always try to cut cost where they can, they knew there was a problem but they prepped the car and sold it anyway with out saying anything. Their is an updated soft wear out their sorry I have no idea what the name is but was told they did an update, when I drove away I was amazed how much better the car goes through the gears, the gas mileage is a major dissapointment in the city but on the hwy I did 35 miles to the gallon! So dont give up hope be firm and hold you ground and go as high as you need to at your dealer from the service director to the owner untl your satisfied. Good luck and lets us know how you make out!

On another note can you tell me why when its gets darker out and your headlights come on I notice the dash light on the speedometer come on but are very dim until a while latter them they come on brighter - are you also experiancing the same lighted delay?
  • jimmizeejimmizee Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the information! I have a 2011 LTZ with the 3.6 and have the same issue as described by many of the 4 cylinder owners. It currently has 3,800 miles and has surged coming off idle since new. Lately though, it can't maintain speed on even a slight expressway uphill grade without downshifting to 5th or 4th gear and has poor (almost no) throttle response unless you put it to the mat. It seems to be worse in hot weather. It is much better in the morning when temps are cooler but still not what it should be. I was very hesitant to buy this car in the first place but made my decision based on price and my $3k in GM card earnings, plus the nice factory rebates they were offering. Now I wish I would have bought something else. Anyway, the dealer gets it tomorrow and we'll see what happens. Thanks for this site!
    Jim in Cincinnati
    Hi Jimmizee:

Contact GM and open a case number for this issue. ---- You will given a case worker for this issue. --- Give this information to the service writer when your vehicle is presented for service. ---- This is a "software issue!" ---- When dealing with GM and your dealer be VERY PROFESSIONAL! ---- Something has changed in your vehicle. My problem did not show up until the vehicle accumulated 12,000 miles, but prior to the surging issue surfacing, it always felt like I was dragging a sea anchor behind the vehicle. The vehicle now drives very smooth. It accelerates great! I am very happy with the performance.

NOTE: My E-mail address is listed should you want to contact me off this site!

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Tranny shift problems are really not a cause for the "Lemon" talk..I did the "GM buyback" route on a 1998 Olds Intrigue which had brake and steering issues..No yelling or screaming, no lawyers, 26k miles and GM bought the car back less $800 off the original sale..I signed the check and gave it back to the dealer and drove away in a 1999 Olds Intrigue w/3.5 V-6, short-star alum engine which was a sweetheart..Yep, it had less issues and was kept for 75k miles, and traded in on the final Olds Intrigue model run 2002..Put 120k on it and traded it on a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which now has 61k..

Most of these 6-spd trannys are somewhat erratic in operation, so keep driving the dealer crazy and load the system with complaints..Copy some of the complaints on this forum and forward them to GM customer service..Be nice, but keep the system flooded..

Owned 53 cars to date and I am a senior citizen, and 34 of cars have been GM, spent 30+ years supplying parts to the Big3 and never ask for a supplier discount, didn't need the charity, and was never under any obligation to any manufacturer..

Gm has a history of lousy 4 cylinder engines using cast components, cheap materials, maybe they are improving, for they watched Honda and Toyota eat their lunch with great 4-bangers..

Awaiting the 2012 Mustang GT, will keep the S/C Pontiac and the 2002 Camry SLE..

Good Luck to your mis-shifting Chevies..I was thinking about the final build of the V-6 Malibu to replace the Pontiac but it's a waste of money with the MSRPs at low 30s..Cheap LS Goodyear tires, and mushy suspension..Sunroof is a must on all my cars, so I am not to happy that Ford doesn't offer a sunroof on Mustangs..

Another buyback was in my boating world, a 25.5 ft, t-350 powered, took 3 yrs and a lawyer, but received a new hull with original engines, which had only 33 hrs of use..I won't name the manufacturer for they really build outstanding boats..Never ran the boat again, was sold, and it was truly a happy ending, made a few dollars on the sordid deal..
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Tranny shift problems are really not a cause for the "Lemon" talk..I did the "GM buyback" route on a 1998 Olds Intrigue which had brake and steering issues..No yelling or screaming, no lawyers, 26k miles and GM bought the car back less $800 off the original sale..I signed the check and gave it back to the dealer and drove away in a 1999 Olds Intrigue w/3.5 V-6, short-star alum engine which was a sweetheart..Yep, it had less issues and was kept for 75k miles, and traded in on the final Olds Intrigue model run 2002..Put 120k on it and traded it on a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which now has 61k..

Most of these 6-spd trannys are somewhat erratic in operation, so keep driving the dealer crazy and load the system with complaints..Copy some of the complaints on this forum and forward them to GM customer service..Be nice, but keep the system flooded..

Owned 53 cars to date and I am a senior citizen, and 34 of cars have been GM, spent 30+ years supplying parts to the Big3 and never ask for a supplier discount, didn't need the charity, and was never under any obligation to any manufacturer..

GM has a history of lousy 4 cylinder engines using cast components, cheap materials, maybe they are improving, for they watched Honda and Toyota eat their lunch with great 4-bangers..

Awaiting the 2012 Mustang GT, will keep the S/C Pontiac and the 2002 Camry SLE..

Good Luck to your mis-shifting Chevies..I was thinking about the final build of the V-6 Malibu to replace the Pontiac but it's a waste of money with the MSRPs at low 30s..Cheap LS Goodyear tires, and mushy suspension..Sunroof is a must on all my cars, so I am not to happy that Ford doesn't offer a sunroof on Mustangs..

Another buyback was in my boating world, a 25.5 ft, t-350 powered, took 3 yrs and a lawyer, but received a new hull with original engines, which had only 33 hrs of use..I won't name the manufacturer for they really build outstanding boats..Never ran the boat again, was sold, and it was truly a happy ending, made a few dollars on the sordid deal..
  • wgradywgrady Member Posts: 1
    2011 Malibu transmission hesitating from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rs. Went thru GM Customer Service, who did absolutly nothing. When I wnet to the dealership, the service manger new nothing about the call. Said there was nothing wrong with the car. Snd time back, their best trans mechanic would not even look at the web blogs on the problem. When I picked up, they said they had canged codes, etc and car was fixed. IT WAS NOT FIXED. Tomorrow, I am taking back for a THIRD time. Car has less that 6,000 miles.

Woody Grady
    High Point, NC
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    get them to reflash the ECM with the lastest software...that should fix the issue...I beleive there is even a TSB out on the issue....
  • truckdriving88truckdriving88 Member Posts: 9
    John, my Malibu would also shudder when you take off on a hard pull, example: taking off on a hill it feels like the front end is shuddering. GM engineers explained that the car is under powered for the 6 speed trans and that there is no solution to repair it, so I contacted my State Lemon Law office and was assigned a laywer for free and we sued GM and settled out of court for 5 grand.
    I kept the car and all warrenties still apply. I have gotten use to the shuddering.
  • jdsaberjdsaber Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    my 2011 malibu LT2 is missfireing and says low traction service esc . and the engine light is on now. It came on when I spun out in snow and the started to missfire, and say low traction service the ecs .
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jdsaber,
    Warning lights like that store codes for the dealer to read. I would recommend speaking with a dealer. Please keep me posted on your progress. Feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    My 2000 Malibu has over 230,000 miles. I have had the recommended transmission flush and new filter done at 100K and 200K. After my Chevy garage put a new shifter in the car, a couple weeks later I started having a clunk underneath the car near the front, and then it started some minor 'bucking' on occasion. A couple weeks ago, as I was driving down the highway, the car suddenly acted like it shifted by itself into 1st gear. I couldn't go 25 on the highway, and the RPM's reving over 3500. I got off the next exit and limped home on back roads. Took it to Chevy garage. They said it just needed a transmission flush, which they did. Picked the car up, and within 24 hours, it did the same thing while driving through downtown. Was only 2 blocks from garage, so swung by the dealership. They wanted to replace the transmission at cost of $3,200 without even doing any diagnostics on it. I took the car to the other side of town this morning to a Transmission Shop. Waiting for their 2nd opinion. My son did some experimenting with the car last night. When he would manually shift it thru 1, 2 and 3 on the shifter, the car acted fine. As soon as he shifted it to D, the speed dropped, and the RPM's reved to over 3,000. The Transmission Shop said that it could be electrical/computer, but they would check it out. Something that irked me about the Chevy garage was that the Service Manager was 'guessing' that it was "something internal in the transmission" and that the only thing that could be done was to totally replace the transmission with a new one. I am wondering... could that shifter they replaced in December maybe caused or triggered something?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    No electric power to the transmission would be my guess, can be checked.
    Would need wiring schematic
  • krkidkrkid Member Posts: 1
    We bought a used 2011 with 9700 miles on it. On a trip at 11000 miles I noticed the transmission slipping and rough shifting. We took the car back to the dealer and in turn they contacted GM and are installing a new transmission "module", whatever than means. The dealer has been very cooperative and has kept us posted throughout the process.
  • loverofyahshualoverofyahshua Member Posts: 1
    I sincerely hope, this problem with the overdrive, ELECTRICAL, is not still happening. You MUST tell the shop, who is REGISTERED, with the BAR=Beaure of Automotive Repair, that you are a consumer, and that You have paid, to have this shifter replaced. perhaps the shop, has BROKEN a wire. simple pblem. If the transmission, shift's manually, in all forward gears, the clutches are fine, transmission is fine. Car just needs to go back to the shop, where the shifter was worked on. my question is:Why did you have the shifter, worked on? Consumer affairs, will help you. This is why they are there. Wish you success.
    dj
  • haileyanikahaileyanika Member Posts: 1
    Dear GM Customer Service - Christina

Please let me know how to contact you so I can set up a case number. I have a 2011 Malibu that has continued to increase in frequency of transmission problems. A tech at a transmission place told me it is slipping between 2nd and overdrive and there is a problem. I am planning to bring it to the dealership tomorrow and have them look at it, they think it needs computer updates and possible more work. I would really appreciate having a case number to take in with me. Thank you!
    Karen
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi Karen -
    To speed up the process, I'll tell you to email socialmedia@gm.com. Include your name, your forums ID (haileyanika), the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN (you can usually find this on the dash or inside the driver's door) and the name of the dealership you're planning to work with - of course including additional info in the email, like the problem you're having, your phone number, etc., is always helpful and secure if sent by email.

Your vehicle should be under warranty, so that's nice.

In our forums, our software turns the @ sign into an image (to deter spammers), so if you copy & paste their email address from here, please make sure you include the @ sign.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• myronkaisermyronkaiser Member Posts: 1
    My car has 42000 miles and last thursday I thought I felt the trany slipping a little. It was due for 18 month check up so made a appointment for Monday. Friday I felt it slipping again, then nothing on Saturday. This morning I get in and when leaving town it would not get out of 3rd gear. Tried shifting it into manual and see what would happen and I would not go into manual mode. Turned around and drove it home.
    Myronkaiser,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Please let me know how things go at the dealer tomorrow. Feel free to email me directly. Please include your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and the involve dealer. I look forward to working with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • techman51techman51 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Well I'm long over due in posting this online, but I am at a loss at what else to do. I purchased this 2011 Malibu new and right from the begining it has had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear mostly when the temperature is above 80 degrees.The problem is intermitant, but I have had the car now for over 1 1/2 years and it has been into the dealer 4 or 5 times. I even brought it into a dealer in a different state when I was on vacation and they had it for several days. They all say the same thing there is no "code" in the computer and will not change any parts without a "code". This last time in the dealer after installing a special recording module to "record" the problem & after confering with GM tech suppord they are going to replace.......... the ignition switch???????. So the car hasn't been shifting properly for almost 25,000 miles this is the fix? I even called Chevrolet directly(I think they are in India now) and they were of no help what so ever. So I bought an new car to enjotaking trips in following my retirement and GM basicly says sorry no code, no fix. I plan on letting them replace the switch as a last trip to the dealer, and if this doesn't fix the problem i think It's time for a new car, maybe a Toyota this time. BTW my dealer is 70 miles away and they finally offered to give me free oil changes for a year after I complained. So think about the logic won't fix the car so I can drive 140 miles plus fuel fror a free oil change. Such a deal. I wonder if others are having their problems with the new reborn GM being so unresponsive to their loyal customers
    Good morning techman51,

We're sorry to hear that you have had these ongoing shifting concerns with your Malibu and that you have yet to reach a satisfactory resolution with your dealership. If you wanted for us to check into this further (I see that you may already have a Service Request open with Customer Assistance), please email us your name and contact information and the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com (also include a brief summary of the situation).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chase14chase14 Member Posts: 1
    I've taken my 2011 Chevy Malibu in 3 times in the last month and the dealership never seems to "reproduce" the slipping it's been doing on cold mornings. The ESC system was messed up and they replaced the traction control switch, that didn't help the slipping sensation that's been happening. It's my first Chevy and will be my last I'm afraid. I really enjoyed the Malibu and it only has 30k miles on it so it's still under warranty but I don't think they will fix without a "code" which is stupid because it's clearly not working properly.

I tried Chevy after hearing good things but will most likely be going back to a honda down the road. They actually fix the car and only have problems on an aged car, not a year old car like my Malibu. :(
    Good morning chase14,

We're sorry to hear that you're having these transmission difficulties with your new Malibu. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • mzkrzyktldymzkrzyktldy Member Posts: 1
    My family have been loyal GM customers for decades. I have to say I am very disappointed with the Sedans and seriously think after this lease is up on the Malibu I may not be a customer anymore. Since 2001 I purchased a brand new Impala. I would have loved to keep it but it had an electrical problem so I turned it in for a lease. They could not fix the electrical problem bc it seemed it only happened once in a while and all the time it was not detectable when the mechanics had it. I had a 2008 Impala and the it too had an electrical problem different from the first though. Now I have a 2011 Malibu, it only has 23300 mi. have not had my brakes or tires changed but on my way to work this morning my transmission failed. No warning just stopped at a corner when I put my foot on the gas peddle it would not move forward. Tried the manual gear still nothing it would only go in reverse. We had/have gm trucks but for some reason our luck with sedans have not been good. Very disappointed. BTW it is now at the dealership getting a new tranny. I am now scared of that car. What would have happened if I were on a highway in stop and go traffic?
    We're sorry that you've had these experiences with your vehicles, mzdrzyktldy. If there is anything you would like for us to check into, we can be contacted via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jc37jc37 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2011 4cyl Malibu. High temp over 85 degrees, long hill, a/c on and it surges REALLY BAD and the RPMs jump up and down. I took it to the dealer twice but they say there is no code error. Happened last year a bunch of times and once so far this year on a hot weekend.
  • catwardcatward Member Posts: 1
    I am very frustrated. I bought a 2000 Chevy Malibu that had a new engine, transmission was put in in 2009, new battery, and many other tweaks.

At this point, I have spent what I paid for the car trying to fix it. I have put in a new Fuel Pump, New Alternator and battery, New Tensioner, and that's fine, these things go out.

But then the TRANSMISSION went - the car only goes in Reverse!! I have already spent over $3,000 fixing this car and things keep dying on it. I am afraid of what will break if I spend the money to fix the transmission!

I have been a Chevy fan all my life, and my dream car was always a Chevy Camaro, but I am scared now!

The dealer I bought the car from mumbled under his breath that the car must be haunted because it kept having problems, but I thought after all this work, it would have to be good.

I was wrong. :cry:
  • neeebzneeebz Member Posts: 1
    So I have a 2010 malibu ls has about 88000 mi on it and this past saturday while my wife had the
    Car it just magically stoped moving when in drive but has no problem with reverse. After reading alot of other people's probl3ms with the malibu im starting to feel discouraged. Its at the dealership now getting looked at and all I can do is hope the powertrain warrant will cover this matter. Iam now considering going to something foreign as this is now my second major problem with a GM automobile
    Hello neeebz,

I'm very sorry to hear that you weren't able to get your vehicle to drive. If there is any assistance we can provide please let us know. Please keep us updated during the repair process.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    edited July 2013
    NEEEBZ:

I also have a 2010 four cylinder Chevrolet Malibu LTZ. ---- Kindly be advised that it is recommended by GM & the Dealer, that a "transmission fluid change" be done at 50,000 miles. ------ I have the six speed transmission in my Malibu, so I had the dealer do a "transmission flush" at about 43,000 miles, because there is no transmission fluid pan to drop in the six speed unit! ----- After the service, you could feel the improved performance. ---- Since I have a 100,000 mile GM extended warranty on this vehicle, I will have this service performed again at 80,000 miles by the dealer. ---- On the old cars we would drop the pan once a year, change the filter, and refill with new fluid. My transmissions easily lasted 100,000 + miles. Transmission fluid is designed to clean, lubricate and cool the unit. YES, transmission fluid does lose its ability to clean and lubricate the component parts. ---- QUESTION: ---- Did you perform the required service at 50,000 miles and did you use GM fluid? ---- The quality of the transmission fluid plays a major role in the life of the unit! -----THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "GENERIC" TRANSMISSION FLUID! --- Transmission fluid is a "manufacturer specific item!" (DO NOT MIX TRANSMISSION FLUID!)------- Best regards! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • pldc10pldc10 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem since the car was new, the surging is getting worse and the car is really difficult to drive in traffic as you have to guess what it is going to do. I am glad I have a lease on this cause I would not want to own it with this problem. It is really sad as i was considering buying a cruze for my son, but with the problems I have had with the surging and the brake rotors warping twice with less then 50K on it, I dont see myself buying or leasing any other GM products for myself or my family.
    pldc10,

I am sorry you are having these concerns with your Cruze. If you would like us to look into this for you please email socialmedia@gm.com ATTN Erica. Be sure to include your name, VIN, address, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
    GM Customer Care
  • sodisappointedsodisappointed Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu not even a full 30 days ago when all the sudden my gas peddle wouldn't work. I drove to work that day and the car was fine. I leave work and was one stop light getting on the highway when all the sudden I can't accelerate anymore. It was the scariest thing I've experience behind the wheel. I pulled over and turned off the car to turn it back on put the car into drive and still nothing. It would go into reverse just fine. I haven't made my first payment yet but the car is in the shop being fixed???? The most frightening thing about this situation is I didn't get any kind of warning signs. No check engine lights no stalling of the car or NOTHING! Now I'm out of a car & to afraid to drive this one once it has been fixed because I don't know if this will happen again. I'm just thinking God I didn't get on the highway or this could have been a lot worse. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place. I'm just so disappointed.
    Hi sodisappointed

So sorry to read that you are dealing with such a frustrating issue. My name is Jackie and I am a GM Customer Care Agent. I would like to look up your VIN and possibly assist you in getting this transmission issue resolved. Please send an email with your VIN, current mileage and full name to socialmedia@gm.com

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • meechie2meechie2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2011 Chevy Malibu off the lot with only 33 miles on the odometer. When the car got to about 20,000 miles I noticed that it dragged during pick up. OnStar runs reports on the vehicle at the end of each month, since I subscribe to Onstar. The provided me a code and told me to take the car to th dearler within a day, which I did. I explained the problem to the dealer and they kept the car all day and of course, claimed they could not find a problem with the car with no light indicating a problem. I was told to return once the light showed up. Well, the car continued to have intermittant problems with dragging, but I waited for the light as the dealer told me. Okay, the other day when I was driving to work the car refused to move and was making all kinds of noise, so I had to pull it in the nearest gas station. I called Chevy service and was told that they could provide me with a tow company they use, but the tow would be on my dime! I was thinking what the heck! What happened to road side assistance, which I am suppose to have under 100,000 miles, right! I called the tow driver and he came and I towed the problem car to the Chevy dealer only to find out later in the day, sorry we have not had a chance to look at your car and until we do, we can't discuss any rental or loaner car, nice! Because this problem started at about 20,000 miles and there are so many people on here with the same problem, I don't want this car at all! Chevy knows there is a wide spread problem with the tranny in these cars, but it appears they are brushing this problem under the rug. No one wants to pay thousands of dollars for what they beleive is a dependable car, only to be afraid to drive the thing. I will keep you updated on my issue, once Chevy decides I am important enough to get back to me Contract or no contract they will not be taking me for a ride with this car. If its a piece of junk than they need to take their piece of junk back and refund me my money.
  • alde42alde42 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Today when I was driving to work by Malibu 2010 2 cylinder car started acting uafter coming to a full stop and attempting to continue forward the car dragged at if it could not go into the next gear, the RPM fluctuated all the way to the 6 and they the car moved, I thought it was weird, however when I came to another full stop this time at a Red light when I tried to start moving again the car would not move at all. I turned my hazards on and turned the car off and tried to move but nothing, I switched to manual and nothing. The car will move in reverse however just not forward. My car has about 64,000 miles on it and serviced as scheduled, at this time the car is being towed to the dealer who told me they would charge me 80 dollars to diagnose it and that the warranty would probably not cover the problem. I don't seem to be only one with this exact same issue, can someone tell me how you solved the problem?

Thank You.
  • donnie14donnie14 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a certified 4 cyl 2011 Malibu LTZ in December 2012. It had about 36,000 miles on it. It ran beautifully until July when we were in heavy traffic on a very hot day and I noticed the tac surging up and down with the car holding at a steady speed. In August, another hot day, I was on an interstate that had fairly steep grades (at least 8%?). At 55/60 mph on one of these hills the transmission would drop down from 5th or 6th to, maybe 2nd or 3rd, causing the engine to rev up to at least 5,000 rpm and the car to jerk. Brought it to a local Chev dealer who had it for 4 or 5 hours. Invoice said "No Problem Found. Inspected system npf at this time, checked out updates program." Since then I have stayed away from steep hills on interstates as i wasn't sure the same problem would come up again. Lately, there's been surging while upshifting; also there's a lag going into reverse. Could it need new fluid OR a new computer program as some have suggested?
  • pbailey0716pbailey0716 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. I bought it new in August of 2010. A few weeks ago, with 47,000 miles on the car, I stopped at a light on the highway and when the light turned, my car would not move. I had to have the car towed. The car would not move forward, but would go in reverse. The mechanic said the gear was completely broken off. There was never any warning of a problem .

I paid $2535.00 to have the transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said it was not the first newer Malibu he had to rebuild a transmission in. I waited over a week for my car because the rebuild was also defective and he had to order a second kit. I loved that car but now I am looking to sell it because I don't trust it. I thought I had bought a great car but when you owe over two years of payments and have to empty your savings account to rebuild a transmission with 47,000 miles on it, something is very wrong. I am so disappointed in this car... and broke...
  • alde42alde42 Member Posts: 2
    Pbailey0716: what I did was go to a dealer and my car was still under power train warranty and they fixed the problem without me paying a dime, you might want to look into that because your car had 20,000 less miles than mine. Where was your car fixed?
  • b4real5b4real5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Malibu that I purchased brand new in 2010. I had the same experience yesterday. I tried to pull off from a traffic light and the car would not move. I had it towed to the dealer & they said it was the wave plate in the transmission. I did some research & Malibu's/GM units have wave plate issues a lot. My car is covered under powertrain warranty. When it comes back from the dealer I'm gonna figure out what I'm gonna trade it in for. Not another GM. Mine has 60,000 miles and hasn't missed any maintenance. I understand your disappointment.
  • 2girls1boy2girls1boy Member Posts: 1
    djm2

Were u charged for the transmission flush or was it covered by the dealer under warranty? I have a 2011 malibu with a shade under 31K miles on it and i'm thinking about getting this done to hopefully prevent transmission issues in the future. Also, I was at a stop sign getting ready to pull out of my subdivision when it felt like the engine misfired twice. Are the spark plugs know to wear out fast on these cars too?
  • spazz3spazz3 Member Posts: 1
    You def should not have paid anything, you should have been covered under the 5/100,000
  • aimee_rohraimee_rohr Member Posts: 1

My 2011 Malibu 2LT just reached 66600 miles, driving it on Monday on the expressway, it bogged down then kicked on me but the tach didn't change. Went to Wal-Mart, came back out and started it but it would immediately die. Kept making it start and finally kept it running enough to get into gear, now it's 0 to 60 in 8 minutes and the tach never goes over 2K RPM. Does not seem to shift gears but goes in reverse fine. Tried using my remote start, makes funny noise by gas tank but does not start. Afraid to drive to dealership. HELP

• 2010malibutran2010malibutran Member Posts: 1

My 2010 Malibu LT with 65000 miles was stopped at a light when suddenly the engine check light came on. I proceeded to 20 mph when the tach went to 5k and the engine ran but the car would jerk intermittently forward. Had car towed to Chevy under roadside assistance program. Diagnostics reveals that the 3-5 wave washer in the CVT transmission destroyed the entire power train. Dealer is currently waiting for GM to approve replacement. Vehicle has been there 7 days. In the interim, they have provided a loaner, albeit, they did not volunteer it.