Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Transmission

Comments

• lileisme21lileisme21 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I saw your post about your 2006 malibu that was/is having transmission problems, and I had the same problem today. I bought my 2006 Malibu 4-cylinder about 3 weeks ago. The transmission and everything has been great. I just had the dealer inspection done and they said nothing was wrong with it. But today on the way back from the store ... my car seem to be stuck in the 1st or 2nd gear. I'm unsure because it sounded like it would go to second and stay but it was a very quiet shift.. if it even was one. Well it would rev up to 3000rpms and just stay there and not go more than 30-35 mph. I almost got rear ended several times. I was at a stoplight and I threw it into park and put it back into drive and I didn't have the problem anymore. I also found that if I hit the brake and release my foot abrubtly as if I was trying to "pop" the clutch (although it is an automatic tranny, but just an example) it would shift into the next gear and I'd be fine til I had to stop and go again. I just bought this car and I don't want to deal with problems already when I haven't even made the first car payment. So, if you have found out what it was that was causing this problem. I would GREATLY appreciate your advice and help. I don't have a warranty so I want to make sure I know the problem going into the mechanic instead of having them search for the problem and make me pay 8372937 dollars and end up not finding anything. I only had it that one drive home today and it works normally now. So, I don't get it and who knows if or when it will happen again. And I also noticed, like you, that it seemed to do it on hills the most. And my drive home when it was acting up was always on hills starting up from idle. It really isn't safe. So, PLEASE help me out if you've found out what it is. I thought maybe the transmission fluid was low and it was going back cuz I was on a hill and not lubing up the gears enabling them to shift, but I'm not sure because I can't check the fluid on my car cuz it's sealed. So, anyways if you know of ANY solutions or answers email me at lileisme21@yahoo.com Thanks again. Hope to hear back from you soon.
    Eric in Rockford, Illinois
  • sbbowtie32sbbowtie32 Member Posts: 1
    i got same problem with my 2001 malibu, what did u do to fix yours, can u please share your info with me, thanks..(ps) i got yahoo also, and the yahoo name is vdt33, incase i instant message u, thanks
  • chub90chub90 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have the same problem with my malibu ls 2001. Did you fixed the problem? If yes wath was the problem ans how much it cost?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Does anyone remember what year that GM started sealing their auto trannys? They made them so that you could not drain and refill with new fluid. Once they screwed up you threw away (apparently) and had to get a different one. Anyone here know about this? I have wondered about this for many years and would love to get the real scoop on whether true or not and the ramifications of them having done that. It just did not make sense to me at all. And was thinking of buying an Impala at the time but changed my mind when I heard that. They sealed all the trannys in Impala, Malibu, Sunfires etc I think and maybe others?
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    We had a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire with the old .2.2 liter pushrod 4 cylinder engine. It had that sealed tranny with no dipstick. My brother-in-law has the car now. I don't believe he's had any major tranny issues with it. Good luck.
    Thanks for feedback, hope to hear from others too. Are there many miles on it? I guess I start to become impressed if it has 150k mi and up without tranny work.
    Just seems wrong to not be able to change or add fluid tho don't you think?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    edited May 2010
    I have an 04 Maxx LT that has a "sealed" transmission, however it has no dip stick but does have a refillplug ...the refill plug is on the top of the transfer case.....I have had the fluids exchanged twice now.....without problem...164K on the car so far..

.the owners manual refers to changing the transaxle fluid ever 50K under severe driving conditions..otherwise it doesnt require chaning. When changing use Dexron-III auto trans fluid....I changed all fluids out at 100K and the trans fluid out the second time at 150K
    Very wise to replace the fluids if you can. It does make one wonder why GM did away with a removable pan and filter process tho. And sucking oil out to empty is never as thorough as a gravity drain. What is a Maxx?
  • bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    The Maxx is a particular Malibu model. Before the current generation of the Malibu, Chevy had the typical 4-door sedan Malibu and a 5-door Malibu Maxx model. The Maxx model was a hatchback/station wagon looking model.
    That sounds like what they called a Nova in Canada years back, which was actually a Toyota, and was a really good car. (this was years after the Nova was really a Chev) Although the Nova/Toy was only a 4 cyl car. I assume it used all Toy drivetrain, engine trans etc.
    Anyway, if the Maxx was pure GM, then i had never heard of it. Maybe we never got them up here. A Malibu-sized 5 door makes a lot of sense if you ask me.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the Malibu Maxx was produced in Model Year 04-08...it wasnt a heavily advertised model....which I beleive was its downfall.....its a very versatile model...have enjoyed mine immensely and still going stroke at 164K. You can check out my profile and see several pics of mine that are uploaded......
    That is a good looking car I must say. You're right I think I have seen it before but so rarely. Maybe because I don't live near a big city. It looks like they are very loaded. If the rear seats fold down you could sleep in it if you had to. Or fit a step ladder in there.

Many years ago I had a Suzuki Samurai Long Body. It was a very rough riding and ill-handling, fuel-guzzling (for a 1.3 litre 4) but was it ever a handy 4x4 vehicle. It swallowed an 8' step ladder one day with the rear door closed. Never had a vehicle that roomy in length since.
  • spung32spung32 Member Posts: 2
    I need help badly I have a 2001 malibu 3.1 it has a bad bang when you put it in drive. now it has lost power i cant go up a hill faster than 20mph. today it even got hot enough for the temp light to come on. can anyone please tell me what is wrong ?
    THANKS
  • spung32spung32 Member Posts: 2
    I need help badly I have a 2001 malibu 3.1 it has a bad bang when you put it in drive. now it has lost power i cant go up a hill faster than 20mph. today it even got hot enough for the temp light to come on. can anyone please tell me what is wrong ?
    THANKS
  • malbuiltmalbuilt Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2010
    2010 LT 4 CYL 6speed auto. Leased new with 6 miles in May 2010. At 4400 miles, began downshifting rougher and slipping while upshifting (only sometimes). This weekend, at nearly 4500 miles, engine cold, first gear clunked hard into second and "POWER STEERING" came up on the DIC and check engine symbol illuminated. Was able to limp (5 mph top speed) a mile back home.
    Called 800 ROADSIDE and had the car towed to the Dealer on 8/24. Tow truck driver asked if I could turn it around so I started it, put it into drive, and zoomed it around the culdesac with absolutely no problem. POWER STEERING no longer displayed, but the check engine symbol was lit. Hopefully, not a sign of future trouble with electronic systems.
    I'll update this as I hear back from the Dealer. Good luck to us all. Hope the rebuilt trans, if offered, is a decent fix.

UPDATE: 8/24 at 5:59pm (surprise!) the dealer called and told me that he drove it around the facility and found nothing wrong with it. Also said he will have the "drivability technician" check it out in the morning.
    More to come...

UPDATE#2: Dealer called 3pm 8/25. "Seems to be a problem with the transmission control and not necessarily with the mechanics of it. Trans tech will need it for a couple more days." Meanwhile, rental car is covered under standard warranty.
    More to come...

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS FOUND ON EDMUNDS.COM - TSB WAS WRITTEN JANUARY-2010. MY CAR WAS BUILT IN APRIL-2010.

Component Description:
    1. POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM) Bulletin Number: SB-09271C
    Bulletin Date: Jan 2010

Vehicle: 2,010 Chevrolet Malibu
    Summary:
    PONTIAC/SATURN/BUICK/GMC/CHEVROLET: TRANSMISSION CALIBRATION UPDATE. A SERVICE PROCEDURE TO REPROGRAM THE ECM AND TCM ON CERTAIN MODEL VEHICLES. THIS NEW CALIBRATION WILL IMPROVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT CHARACTERISTICS FOR DOWNSHIFT HESITATION ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10033029 )

Component Description:
    2. POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM) Bulletin Number: PIP-4653B
    Bulletin Date: Sep 2009

Vehicle: 2,010 Chevrolet Malibu
    Summary:
    BUICK/CHEVROLET/HUMMER/GMC/PONTIAC/CADILLAC/SATURN: TECHNICIANS MAY FIND DTCS P0601, P0603, P0604, P062F OR P1621 STORED IN THE TCM AS AN ACTIVE OR A HISTORY CODE. SOME OF THESE DTCS CAN ALSO BE SET IN THE ECM OR FPCM. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10032434 )

Can anyone share similar stories for this specific model and year Malibu LT1?
    UPDATE3: 8/26 DEALER STATES SPEED SENSOR IS BAD. WILL REPLACE AND RE-TEST FOR OTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEMS. SHOULD TAKE A FEW DAYS.
    HOPEFULLY THE LAST UPDATE TO THIS SET OF ENTRIES: 8/30 DEALER STATES SPEED SENSORS WERE REPLACED, TESTED AND IS READY FOR PICKUP. PARTS USED WERE SENSOR 4.337 p/n 24245044, SENSOR 4.329 p/n 24245045, PLATE 4.265 p/n 24248227 AND ANOTHER PLATE 4.265 p/n 24242274.

I'VE DRIVEN IT ABOUT 30 MILES SO FAR AND HAVE ONLY FOUND SOME MINOR CHUGGING IN FOURTH GEAR.
  • penmen65penmen65 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2010 Malibu in May. Since the day I drove it off the lot, I have been having problems with either my transmission or engine. Of course the problem doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, its nasty. As I accelerate the transmission or engine bucks excessively...to the point where it feels like the engine is going to fall out. I took it back immediately, the dealer kept it for 3 days, said they drove it for about 50 miles and the problem did not happen at all. Took it in again for the same problem and the service advisor said that when he put my car in the computer that there was a computer update for the transmission and hopefully this will correct the problem. Had the update done and the issue is still there. I had a spinal fusion in my neck in August and have not been able to drive. Have driven maybe 4 times since August and the problem is still there every time. I cannot keep taking this car back and also it physically very difficult for me to drive to the dealer. I hate driving this car, it scares me.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    penmen65,
    Can you please e-mail me your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN and current mileage, as well as involved dealer? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • penmen65penmen65 Member Posts: 2
    I sent you my information....
  • harville1982harville1982 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our new 2011 malibu on january 7th 2011 and at about three hundred miles it started bucking bad and we took it back and they told us we needed a transmission software update and we had a ground wire loose. After we got it back 3 days later it doesnt buck anymore but is slow when it shifts and shifts hard sometime. We are taking it back again tomorrow but now we are wishing we hadnt bought the car. It just tripped 1000 miles and if i could take it back and get full credit for what i paid , I would. Is there a thirty day money back guarantee or something with GM?
  • milagrosmilagros Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 malibu on 10/07/2010 and on 02/10/2011 my car goes on reverse actually moves backwards but, it doesn't drive forward. It's at the dearlership at kissimmee florida and i was told there was two more transmissions in front of my car. I was told if it was a simple part they will replace it but, if it's major they will order a new transmission to put in. Depending on their investigation. The car has only 4869 miles on it!!
  • wbeattywbeatty Member Posts: 1
    Since I've bought this 2010 new last year, I've had occasional problems with the RPM's surging. It seemed to go away over the winter, although we haven't been doing as much highway driving recently and the problem occurs around 50 mph.

NOW, my wife went on a trip over the weekend and she told me 4 times on the interstate, the transmission acted funny. First it jerked really hard when downshifting on a long uphill grade. THEN, she said a while later, she was slowing for a red light. Before coming to a complete stop, the light turned green and she gave the car gas, but it seemed like the rpm's increased and the car didn't go, as if the transmission was slipping.

What next? I know if I take it to a dealer, they aren't going to find anything because the problems are intermittent.
  • bc60bc60 Member Posts: 17
    How many miles do you have on the car? Doesn't this Malibu have like a 5 year - 60,000 or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty in addition to the 3/36k warranty? I'd keep taking it to the dealer and let them try to duplicate the problem until they are able to find it.
    wbeatty,
    Taking the vehicle to a dealer is the best first step. This way even if they are unable to find a problem now, if later down the line you are still having this problem or the problem keeps occurring we have documentation of the issue. These things definitely are taken in to account with GM. We have to have the opportunity. Please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer. Feel free to email me directly. Please be detailed as to your situation. Thanks, Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • truckdriving88truckdriving88 Member Posts: 9
    Good luck with getting a repair on your transmission thru GM, I have been working with them since June 2010 and after the engineers have preformed 3 re calibrations on the 6 speed trans in my 2010 Malibu the representives from GM tell me that my car is preforming with the "Normal characteristics of the car" and that when I accelerate from a stopped position that the shuddering vibration that I feel in the front of the car is normal. Their explanation is that the engine is "Lugging" because I take off easy and that I need to basically floor the car on take off, one representive in Detroit actually told me to "Drive it like you stole it". I am in the process of filling out paperwork for my states LEMON LAW. signed a lifetime professional truckdriver.
  • johns1lawjohns1law Member Posts: 3
    what an aweful experience..I just bought a 2011 Malibu LT2 , ive yet to run the 1st tank of fuel thru it, ive owned 20days , i cant stand to drive it..the shuddering under at the front wheel is driving me insane..It shakes, it stalls, then throws u back in the seat..this just is not a thing i was expecting to be dealing with..10yrs absence of owning a Chevy, and i come back to this? no wonder i stayed away, just wish i would have been smart enough to not come back..Now im $20k invested in a beauctiful looking car that drives like crap.. I took to delaership , they acknowledge problem exist, said they even notice it ones that come off the new transport truck...but GM hasnt acknowledge the problem, all things are up to spec so they cant do anything for me..Are you kidding me GM... Im saddened, if this isnt corrected soon ill be be looking to rid of it...450 miles on it and I cant stand to drive it..I have a 7yr old truck with 120k on it and it drive better than this midsize luxury car...whats up with this scenario...SAD..
    johns1law,
    I apologize for your frustration. Can you please email me your VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • van48430van48430 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2008 Malibu, purchased new in summer of 2008. I took it to dealership a year ago as had repeated problems with shifter not completely engaging in park, thus unable to remove key from ignition. They found no problem.
    This has continued. I had car running yesterday in slightly sloped paved driveway. Put car into park, left door open, and briefly got out to retrieve a house key. When I turned around, my car had rolled down the driveway, stopped, fortunately in the grass, avoiding people, other cars, a lovely ornamental tree and mailbox.
    Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? I am concerned about safety issues as have never had a car just roll away while in park and running.
    Thank you.
    van48430,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle back to the dealership? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    There is a clip that attaches the transmission cable housing to a bracket that fails. Should have been recalled.
  • awajitokaawajitoka Member Posts: 1
    My Malibu has this same shuddering at high, constant speeds & under light acceleration. Are you saying this clip is the issue?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    If it won't stay in park, yes.
    johns1law,
    Please let me know if you recieved my email. I look forward to working with you to get your concerns resolved.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    A "shuddering vibration" on take off is a Torque Converter problem! It is very similar to a "clutch chatter!" ----- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    Hi all:

Last night I was stopped at a traffic light with the A/C on, and the transmission in DRIVE. When the light changed to green, I proceeded across the intersection and up a long hill. The vehicle ahead of me was going slowly. --- I had a "steady throttle" and the vehicle was traveling at a steady speed. In the middle of the hill, the engine started to surge. It continued to operate in this fashion until I reached the top of the hill. ----- I have done a search on the "net," and there appears to be other Malibu owners describing this problem, and there seems to be NO answer to this issue from Chevrolet, ----- (other than the dealer cannot duplicate the problem!) ------THIS IS SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE! ----- QUESTION: ---- Does anyone have any information on this issue? ------- My 2010 LTZ Malibu has 12,500 miles, and it is service by the dealer every 2,500. (My choice!) ------- If there is a GM representative on this board, please feel free to jump in on this discussion. ------ (Is there a "Technical Service Bulletin" on this issue?) -----(On the highway, the vehicle performs properly!) ---- This is the first time that I have experienced this issue! ------ Other people have described this issue at an earlier mileage! ----- Best regards. -------------- Dwayne :lemon: :confuse: ;)
    Hi Christina (GM - Customer Service)

To say the least, I am a little disappointed by the lack of response to my posting dealing with the "surging" that I experienced with my four cylinder 2010 Malibu LTZ as posted on May 22, 2011 at 9:35 am. This "issue" is all over the "net" on other sites, and GM does not seem to have a solution to the problem. Before I take my vehicle into the dealer for service, I would like to know if there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" that deals with this specific issue. I could then pass this information on to the service advisor and the service tech.. From the postings that I have read on other "net sites" the dealers are operating blind on this issue!

Surging can be caused by:
    1.) Low fuel Pressure
    2.) Low fuel volume
    3.) An EGR valve problem.
    4.) An A/C compressor kicking on and off while the engine is under load, (going up a hill.)
    5.) The clean air intake and the throttle body is dirty.
    6.) Problem with the knock sensor.
    7.) Problems with the MAF, MAP and / or the IAT sensor.
    8.) Leaks in the air intake system.

Since this seems to be a problem with the Malibu line, I would think that GM would show some professional interest in solving the problem. If there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this subject please give me the number of that bulletin.

Thank you in advance for your help, concern, and professionalism. Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    djm2,
    I apologize I just seen both of your posts together. Unfortunatly if there is a "Technical Service Bulliten" that would only be available to our technical staff such as service personnel. I would definitely recommend continuing to work with the dealer. If you would like to send me your complete contact information (name, address, and telephone number), VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer I would be happy to set up a case with Customer Assistance. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina:

Thank you for your response to my postings. I have been in contact with the selling dealer, and I have an appointment to have the vehicle serviced.

I have read about this issue on other sites with regards to this vehicle. Some people are complaining about this operating characteristic at a VERY low mileage. ------ My 2010 four cylinder Malibu LTZ did not show this characteristic until it passed 12,000 miles.

The problem with this issue is that there does not seem to be a solution to the problem at the "dealer level!" ------ My vehicle did not have this problem till it accumulated 12,000 miles.

Today I was merging onto a highway in "bumper - to - bumper traffic" at 20 mph. As the traffic started to accelerate, I gently pressed on the accelerator, and the vehicle surged like a manual transmission that was operating in third gear, and should have been down shifted to second gear. The engine was "lugging"! Since I was in "bumper - to bumper traffic, I could not press hard on the accelerator to force a "down shift!" This is a "recent operational issue" with this vehicle.

Sometimes when taking off from a dead stop, (under normal acceleration), it feels like the engine is not getting enough fuel, and / or spark advance, and / or air. This seems to be more noticeable in the lower gears, (1st and 2nd). The engine seems to be holding back. (Something has changed with this vehicle.) ---- I will keep you informed as to the outcome of the service appointment.

NOTE:
    This vehicle is rated at 33 mpg on the highway. The only way that I can achieve 30 mpg with the Malibu is by traveling at no more than 55mph. (I have a 2007 V6 Toyota Camry XLE with 65,000+ miles that can easily get 30+ mpg at 65 mph.) ----- Both vehicles have a 6 speed automatic transmission.

Best regards!
    Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Technical Service Bulletins are public and easy to access. We have them right here on our site.

djm2, you might start here and fill in your details. Once you get to your vehicle page, there are links right under the model description where you can see recalls & technical service bulletins.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi Kirstie (Host)

Thank you for your response.

I have an appointment with the selling dealer to have this vehicle serviced for this problem.

Now that the weather is becoming warmer, this problem is becoming more noticeable everyday.

Today, I was entering slow moving highway traffic at 20 mph, and my engine started to surge, because the trans would not down shift to the next lower gear. (If was like "not down shifting" a manual transmission!) ------- This problem is all over the net, and GM does not have a solution to this problem with the 6 speed transmission. ----------- Some owners have experienced total transmission failure. -------- I AM NOT A HAPPY OWNER! This problem started after my vehicle reached 12,500 miles. This IS NOT a good advertisement for GM! I would bet that there are no codes set, because there is no "check engine light ON!" ------- Unless there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" on this issue, the "problem" is going to be VERY difficult to find! ---- General Motors, I liked this vehicle up until this problem. NOW I AM VERY SORRY THAT I MADE THIS PURCHASE! ----- Maybe, if the problem is resolved, I might change my opinion, but as it stands now, I wish I had purchases a Toyota Camry! ---- The Malibu is a beautiful vehicle, but the four cylinder engine and transmission does not come anywhere near to a four cylinder Toyota or Honda with regards to smooth operation!

Best regards. ----------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: :lemon: :mad:
  • truckdriving88truckdriving88 Member Posts: 9
    I finaaly have a resolution with GM, they would not buy the car back, but we came to a financial resolution thru the lemon law. Keep all paperwork and take notes from all conversations and call GM asistance in Detriot and get a case number asap. Good luck.
    Ok...car is weeks new, or used however u look at it..It drives like a POS.. I just got ran around for 4 weeks , the dealership acknowledges the abnormality of my car, they see it in other malibus too...yet because a select few drive like the wheel is wobbling , the BIG DOG (GM) has policy that they cant do anything because its normal..So I asked..is it normal to have a car that has shuddering and wheel wobble on take off...> response from Barbara at GM.. "im sorry sir our policy is because others drive like this we cant do anything for you" .. I wasnt asking for the kitchen sink but for a car that I was proud to own..and drive... Neither is farthest from the truth ..This company is indeed a joke..and with customer service like this I can see why they needed extra $$ to cover there mistakes over the past many years.. They build 1000s of reliable vehicles and gloat about it on commericals...yet the ones that are POS they act like they dont care.. Russian roullette..good luck to any persons considering a GM purchase..hope u dont get shot like I just did... I left GM 10yrs ago...i decided to come back ...NEVER again...the squeeky wheel I may be...but if it werent for people speaking up , others may get burned like I just did..I warn others , if you have problems..and so do others... good luck getting resolve.. less its gonna cause serious bodily injury i dont think the company really cares...what a joke.. So i say to GM...good bye, and Ill be sure to let everyone know of my experience with your joke of a company...I feel sorry for all the victims of your faulty produced vehicles ... Sad day for me..I really wanted this to work out...I had belief they would settle (replace tranny or car or fix tranny) my issue... they didnt seem so interested... So i have no regret leaving and not looking back. Just wish i didnt get suckered with coming back...damn marketing..had me beleiving this was too good to be true.. The old saying, if it seems to be , then it probably is.....good luck
    GOOD NEWS! ----- My OUTSTANDING dealer worked VERY hard on this problem and it was corrected! ----- There is an "up-dated software package" from GM that corrects this issue. ---- The 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu now drives like a totally different vehicle. ---- It has power, great acceleration for a 4 cylinder, and I am now getting the advertised fuel mileage. --- I no longer experience the "surging problem!" ---- I am now happy with the vehicle! --- I give total credit to my selling / servicing dealer. Their service department spent hours on this vehicle. ----- Based on this service performance and their customer relations, I would consider purchasing another vehicle from them in the future. They took complete responsibility and made things happen, and for that I am grateful! ------------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • pirates7pirates7 Member Posts: 1
    Harsh shifting (dead spots - hesitation) between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 for the first two or so miles
    when the engine is cold.
    As expected, dealer denies there is anything wrong.
    Consumer Reports sited this problem when they did their review of the new Cruz.
    The Cruz and Malibu share the same transmission.

pirates7
    Hi Pirates7:
    I have my e-mail address on my profile. ---- E-mail me! ----- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • chasfchasf Member Posts: 2
    Have same problem. 2.4L engine. Once car warms up it shifts fine. No stumble. Have had car 5 weeks and thought maybe it would get better. Goes in to dealer tomorrow for this. Will let you know if I get any different answer than you did.
  • chasfchasf Member Posts: 2
    As promised, a report on by visit to dealer today. They say that my car is shifting normally, even the stumbling on 2-3 shifts before engine/transmission warm up. They say I am not the first person to complain about this and that possibly if enough people complain Chevy may come out with a new calibration to address concerns. Service manager even went out on ride with me to evaluate the car.

A point of reference. My son has a Camaro with 6-cylinder and 6-speed transmission. I have driven his car and it also has the stumble on 2-3 shifts when cold but not as disturbing, probably due to more powerful engine. I related this to service manager and he agrees with my theory.

I feel better knowing that my car is behaving "normally" but not totally pleased with the driving experience. Service manager told me that one customer was so dissatisfied with this problem with 4-cylinder engine that they ended up exchanging car for a 6-cylinder equipped car.
    glad you feel better, but the answer GM gives as normal for that car.. im floored as to there lack of enthusiasm to help, and I dont foresee the future but if I could id bet the car is never addressed..WHo knows.. I was so unhappy with mine..I SOLD IT.. lost my rear, but letting GM ever burn me again wont happen... Ive had over 15 new model yr cars and some had minor issues, some were perfect , this time was a problem, i gave them opportunity to fix....and theres nothing to fix i suppose , how do u fix a mishap (junk)... obvious they dont know how to and it would be to costly to admit mistake.. look around, read, even my service advisor told me this car is not built well from the tranny up...many many issues... Maybe we got a lemon in the bunch, if that is the case, why does GM say its normal ? Because they are going into lemon production ? I dont figure it out.
  • ep1ep1 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a Malibu though a 2011 model & experiancing the same problem, my dealer the largest in PA said they are waiting for detroit to come up with a fix he did say they are working to come up with a solution and are flooded with customers complaining with the same issue, would you know what the software package is, or a bullitin?