Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Brake Problems

Comments

• rbrandellrbrandell Member Posts: 5
    I would imagine that GM did nothing to assist you unless you were in warranty. Get rid of the car if you can afford too.
  • catiger1catiger1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a pontiac G6 GTP and I had the same problem with the brake lights, first they recalibrated the brake sensor and that worked for a day then i had to bring it back and they changed the sensor. the minute i drove it off the lot it was still doing it and they had to change the sensor again! i was without the car for a week the first time cause they had to order the part. so far so good but now im paranoid and keep checking my lights.
  • ronig6ronig6 Member Posts: 3
    I had the very same issue as you and the dealer wouldn't touch them, 1k after warranty expiration. I took my car to folks I trusted. He took my brake system apart, replaced the master cylinder, lines, rotors, ABS sensors and replaced the metal pads with ceramic ones. I've been "lock free" for 6 weeks now and the brakes don't get hot. Have your pads changed to ceramic. Pontiacs ABS sensors go off because the metal pads overheat too easily and the sensors get too hot and everything locks. That has worked for me and I went through 6 months of work before we realized we needed to check one part at a time and see what affect it had. I too will never by a GM vehicle again and probably never buy an American car again either.
    My wonderful little car repair shop did use ceramic pads last time. $1500 later, I am back on the road and hopeful that this is it. Good luck. :lemon:
  • ronig6ronig6 Member Posts: 3
    Good luck to you too! Drive safe!
  • monik1101monik1101 Member Posts: 4
    I turned my lease in early. I went through BBB and Pontiac Cust Svc only to be told GM would only offer me $2000 and not the full $3300 I owed. I took my business to Ford and will never return to GM out of principle. I will miss their style of cars but I had to make a point. You feeling paranoid will only continue unless you get out of the car.
  • romich96romich96 Member Posts: 14
    So after you turned it in to the dealership, what did you have to pay?? Did you file a lemon claim or what??My lease ends 1/2010, but its currently at the dealership, because they don;t know how to fix my gear shifter controller. It remains stuck in park and I think the dealership don't know what to do. They replace my gear shifter controller, still remains stuck, then recalibirated my brake pedal, it still gets stuck. I called today, service advisor told me that she haven't heard anything yet? I was wondering who was she waiting on?? They just need to be honest at this time,saying that don't know what to do and why its happening.
    Do you think I should let them keep the leased car, but what are my consequences? They told me if I end my lease early I will be responsible for $10,000. I wonder why??
    Well I wonder if are your issue similar to mine?? My gear shift is stuck in park, but they told me the mess as they told you. But I got a new gear shifter controller, and it stills get stuck. Next they recailbrated the brake sensor, that also worked one day for me as well. They gave me a loaner, and I'm still in it. It stinks and has a loud roar. So did they afterwards they order the part?? I feel that way every since it first happen back in 9/3/08. I',m wondering why is it happening? Its a good thing its a leased, but I'm trying to figure it I should let them keep and take the early termination or what?
  • ddanj3708ddanj3708 Member Posts: 1
    this tip may help you and if it does you'll probably kick yourself for going through all that with you gear shift. i had the same problem with my gear shift getting stuck. i even took it to pontiac and they didnt know what the problem was but ironically my wife figured it out. our car wont release out of park if you dont push the break peddle down hard enough before trying to get out of park. i was having the same problem with my gear shift being stuck but i dont anymore. pontiac didnt even know our cars are like that. try it and let me know if that does anything for you.
  • chmarchmar Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 G6 pontiac.. i am having tail light /brake light issues and my gear shifter wouldnt come out of park either and my cruise control intermittently worked to . but now i dont use my cruise control because the last time i used almost got in an car accident because when i hit the brakes it didnt shut off . i had to pounce hard and hard b4 it shut off. that was scary too. when i am going down the road my tail/brake lights stays on, then when i stop they go off.. i have had it to 3 auto repair shops and they searched it high and dry and came up with what i need. they said i need a body control module...i am sick over it ... cause it is a lot of money like 500 dollars to 1000 to get it fixed .. i have complained to pontiac and they say it is on me...the repair cost to fix it.. i am sick over it..i asked if they have a recall they said no... i think we need to band together and tell our problem to GM/ Pontiac so they get the message ... i have complained but they arent listening to me . i think we all need to contact GM/pontiac and tell them ..we all need to do this ...maybe they will recall and have our problem fixed by GM/Pontiac..Its like a petition if we all who have problems with the G6 tell GM/Pontiac. they will here us... and maybe do something about this...I am also haveing the brakes issue too what u are experincing about the G6, they sqeak, grind, and i just had these brakes changed...i fell like a got a real lemon ..its not funny either... i paid big money for this car too.
  • chmarchmar Member Posts: 2
    i have done that but it works temporarily ...i still have issues with it. that it is going to cost me 500 to 1000 dollars to fix my problem
  • pulley468pulley468 Member Posts: 3
    At the third repair shop, which was a pontiac dealer, they replaced the brake switch stating it was bad. That was pretty cheap. But, when they did this they said the module thingy that calibrated the brake switch was not calibrating it and would also need to be replaced. I had them go ahead and replace it after they described what would happen without it calibrating. So with the new module, brake switch, and labor my cost was around $450. The good news is that so far the brake lights have been working properly again. It has been a couple of months so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its fixed for good. I would say the $1000 range is quite inflated on the repair.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, If I had this problem, I would demand for it to be fixed, or let me out of the lease, as it is under warranty. I would simply word it to the Pontiac Rep and the dealership, that the car is not safe to drive, and that the car is under warranty and they are unable to fix is correctly. I also would file for a lemon, I would stand my ground, and I would not drive the car like that. If they told me that I would have to pay that to get out my lease, for a car that does not work correctly, that is "unsafe", They cannot force you to do this, as they are breaching their end of the contract, with not providing you with a satisfactory car to drive for the lease amount time.

You guys need to get a case started if you have not done it already, contact the company "Pontiac", and word it precisely, then see what they have to say. Throw in the fact that the car is unsafe and not drivable. Stay professional about it with them. Keep all records from any trip to the repair shop at your dealer. Get the name of the service manager, and give this to them as well. Hope this helps, Keep calm, they cannot force you to drive it or pay to get out of it, since you have a legitimate case, and legally they are not hold their end of the contract.

As a lease owner, it is your responsibility to do basic maintenance, oil changes, tire rotations, keep up fluids. Keeping it clean, staying within normal wear and tear. I don't think replacing a shifter is one of them.
  • dustinrdustinr Member Posts: 5
    Just so anyone who comes later due to the brake lights being reversed intermittantly. On my 05' G6 the problem seems to have been resolved by replacing the body control module out. Replacing the switch and relearning did not work. I'll try to follow up if there are any changes.
    Well I got out of that lease early last week. Boy was I glad. My lease wasn't up until 2010. I couldn't wait no longer. It stayed in the shop for almost a week, and they claimed they fixed it. I didn;t give it a chance, so I traded it in. I bought a Pontiac Torrent and hoping and praying that I will not have a lot of problems.
    Okay, thats all cool, BUT, did they stick you with a huge upside down balance to roll into the new car?? If they did that, than that is not right.

Personally, if you gave another brand a chance, you could have better luck, Even the used G8's with a few 1,000 miles on them can be had for a about $25k , give or take. Some loaded! GM has too many cars too worry about. Atleast get a car that doesn't depreciate so much, that you are in a money pit. Literally, I was able to trade out of my Accord, after 1yr into the lease. Owing nothing on it! I want my Accord back! Sit in an Accord, or new Acura, you'll see, feel the difference.

Although no problems with my G6, 7,600miles, I will try to trade next spring!
    Well, it was a good deal. I had the GM discount which knock off $2200 and then $1000 rebate. But I did put down $4000 to get my payments much lower. I rolled over $7000 in the a new loan, but I thought it was good. Good luck in trading it in next year. So hopefully I will not have alot of problems with this suv.
    :lemon:
    So essentially because you had a bad product from Pontiac, the dumped the problem on you..... Pontiac did not help you at all. The Dealer didn't either. They just didn't take the car back, ROLLING $7,000 into the new loan! For something that is not your problem, Pontiac breached the lease contract or warranty, not providing you a safe car, not satisfactory. You got royal screwed, and to top it off, you got another pontiac.... Wow, I am sorry, but I am mad just hearing about this. You did, they used you. They made a defected product that is unsafe, and in order to get out, you have to absorb the problem! They did not help you. Plus you put down your well earned $4k!! That is a bad deal! Plus the fact that Pontiac SUV, depreciates so fast, they are not selling well now too. Pontiac depreciates so fast anyway. Your already after having it new, way upside down. See, this is why people ask my, why did you choose a Pontiac? I kid you not, I had a guy yesterday ask me, what made you choose Pontiac. I have an 08 G6, I really like it, offers alot, it is fun, but it does not compare to my 06 accord, that has refinement, and amazing engine, I told him, it wasnt my choice, Plus, I came from an 06 Accord. I told him, I will be back to the Accord. I will next spring, though I signed the lease last spring, I am investigating ways to get out, and certainly not rolling money from it to the new lease. It is possible.

Sorry, if I seem really harsh, but hearing about that, you really got hammered on that deal. They saw you were desperate, and shown you the only way out, I wouldn't have done that. When in reality, they took advantage of you, and your money. Too late now, but you'll know next time. :) :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Yeah what you said was really harsh!!! You do what you want and I will do what I want!!!!!!!!!!!!That is my problem in putting down whatever I felt like it. I got another Pontiac because that G6 was getting on my freaking nerves. I put down money to have my payments where I can afford, if you must know. I've seen and heard many people being upside and down!! I wasn't going to let it go back as a repo. I just couldn't wait until the lease ends, because it was to far away and too many problems. Here in the economy, people do that in these days. This is my third product from Pontiac and I just one bad product was defective. This vehicle I have now is not a lease, I f got it financed it!! We all know that the only cars out here that doesn't depreciates is the Accord and maybe Toyota, but other cars will.

I never would have thought, I would've got a bad comment on what I done. Who are you to judge, I see you still have that junk!!! You was the one who made a bad deal or decision choosing a Pontiac over a honda. Honda is best American car out there. There is no other way out of your lease!!
    Okay, I totally did not mean it that way. You took it all the wrong way. I am sorry.
    Honestly, I did not mean anything by it. I did not choose my G6 by choice, I guess I am just frustrated for that fact that I am stuck with this car for awhile. I will try soon. It is frustrating to see how you had to dig yourself out of Pontiacs problem. Seriously, they should have stepped up and did something for you. It makes me so mad when they give you a contract to sign, and your held up to it, but yet they "company" are not. I am sorry. I will be back to Honda, I am thinking either an Accord or a Acura tsx.

Really, it makes me mad they did that to you, you shouldn't have to use your well earned dollar. I just feel you had other options than doing this, that is all. Its sounds harsh, but it was not aimed at you, it was geared for Pontiac, and the dealer for not stepping up to help you. I still feel that they took advantage of you. The fact that there are many other great brand out there.
    I accept your apology. I'm sorry for being mean!! You know that the dealership put that G6 car out their for sale from where I purchased it from? I just can't believe it!! Who ever buys it, I feel sorry for them. They also know that the car has problems, much as I came in there. I should've been on payroll as part-time!! :) Well I hope you will be able to get out of yout lease, soon w/out being upside down. Maybe on the next purchase I will either go for a Honda or Acura. They are so hot and cool!! Another lady had a G6 before mines and traded hers in for another Pontiac, a Torrent, too. So there must have been a deal somewhere down the line, I guess. I don't know. AllI know that I am not ashamed to have people ride with me w/ all those problems I had. Good Luck!!
    Well, I didn't give it another chance, I traded it in on 9/23 for a 08 Torrent. I left them have it because it was becoming too stressful for me to keep dealing with each and everyday.In addition, the service dept didn't actually know what to do with it. On 9/23 they finish the repair, but I didn't even give it a chance nor did I get in it after the ran my battery down along with fixing the problem. As of today, they still have that car on lot to sale, which is very surprising! After how many times I have been in there on many problems. So far I'm enjoying a nice SUV!
    Well, you know what, as long as your happy, that is all that counts!

I am currently trying to see where I stand getting out of the G6, and into the Accord, it looks a bit upside down, but if I can get out and pay a little more" within reason of course" I will do it, or just wait. It might be worth it. I think what I am facing now is the initial depreciation that all new cars have the first year, then it levels off, along with your pay off. It still goes down, but not like the first year of ownership. A real bummer, but I do like the G6, its fun, with the leather, roof, music, xm. Its not a bad car at all, but hearing people having issues with it, well I would change my liking to it really fast.
    I have 8,000miles, so far so good. The one issue I have is the 4cyl engine with its 4spd transmission is so unpredictable, it jumps around too much, and my previous 06 Accord had much more power, better mileage for a 4cyl. It was so much more refined, quiet.
    Well now that I paid a fortune for the brakes, my transmission is going on my 2006 G6 with 56,000 miles. What a piece of crap this car is! :mad: Looking for a Honda to replace it as I write this!
    Man, I want my Honda back too!
    made a deal on a scion xd yesterday...rated #1 in reliabilty by consumer reports for small cars. :) finally rid of the troubled G6...good luck to all of you still stuck with yours.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,i recently traded in a 07 pont g6 with only 9000 miles on it.like many others here i began haveing brake issues on my g6 at about 5000 miles.it began with squeeling brakes then warped brake rotors which pontiac says they would not cover under warranty due to it being wear and tear and my driving habits.then at 9000 miles the electric steering went out which seems to be a problem with the g6.
    that was it for me and i took a loss and recently dumped the pos g6 for a made in japan mitsubishi lancer which i love.this is why the big 3 and more noticibly gm is failing because they put out poorly made vehicles and worse yet very poor customer service.i would not bail out gm and if it were up to me i would hammer the last nail in gm coffin and put them out of their missery cuz they have caused pain and missery to others by producing inferior products that can not stand up to the [non-permissible content removed] cars.
  • bxgirlnscbxgirlnsc Member Posts: 12
    Well I had the load roar on my 2006 G6 also and I refuse to take it to GM to get fix because I know they would charge me alot of $$. So I took it to Precision where the guy told me I need a bearring replaced on my drivers side. He said that if I did not do that the car could lock down while driving and leave me stranded. So I got it fixed at $400 and the sound is goan but my front rotors are warped and the car is out of line. I only have 65000 miles on this car! I drove my Nissan Sentra for 4yrs with 100000 miles before I had to do any major repairs. I really want out of this but my lease is not up until 2011! I am glad it drive quiet now but i know i have more repairs to do. I have had problem with htis car since a year after i got it! :cry: :sick: :confuse: :lemon:
    How do you have an 06 and your lease is not up until 2011? I have an 08 and its up then. Why didn't your warranty cover the repairs? If it is under miles and lease, you should have been able to take it to GM.

Have you noticed the commercials from GM, they mention a car, like Pontiac, Cadillac, and then they ask you if you are surprised? Uh, well yes, but way overpriced when compared to the other competitors. There is no way I would get a $40k Cadillac CTS when there other cars that pretty much offer the same standard as that. Though the CTS, the escallade are very nice, but I feel its like Holister, Abercrombie, you are just paying for the name. The CTS should be priced around its competitors. The Acura is a step up from the CTS and yet is cheaper, holds its value better in time.

I think the Commercials just indirectly admit guilt that not all their cars are up to that standard. Another perspective would be that if you be a civic or Fit which is the lowest model car in the Honda line up, you are going to get the same quality level as you would on the higher end, quality has not been sacrificed. Now get a lower end GM and it shows its colors of being the lowest trims.

If I did not have the leather, the sunroof, sound, and all the features on my 4cyl sedan G6, there is no way it would stack up to a lower end Accord, Civic, It would just be a blaw car with no pizazz at all. You can get a lower end accord and it still feels classy. You know that your a good car company when you can honestly say you have put all your sweat into every model. If GM didn't have so many cars, maybe they could focus on quality rather than quantity. After I am done with the G6, I will probably not be back to GM. I am not the only one to say that.
    If I did not have the leather, the sunroof, sound, and all the features on my 4cyl sedan G6 I would not have bought it. I know I got a bad deal and my payments are really high but I can't cry over spilt milk. The warranty was 3yrs or 36,000 miles so I am not covered anymore. I love the performance of the car but I would not recommend it to anyone. I wonder if the G8 has had better reviews?
  • alumni99alumni99 Member Posts: 1
    As like the rest of you, i too am having a problem with my what i thought was an awesome car for me. It first started after 3500 miles. I backed up and heard HORRIBLE grinding in the rear. I took it to dealer and he said "normal sound for pontiac", "it will go away after you drive for a mile or two." Thinking to myself, yea right, you just said that cause im a woman. Well, much to anyone who has owned a brand new car, i was driving appx 69 mph and had to put on brakes as usual and all of a sudden the whole car (all 4 tires front and back) shook and shimmied. Keep in mind that i also told the dealer at 3500 miles that the steering wheel is crooked and should be straight. He said that that too is normal for the G6. I cannot believe the headache i have purchased only 12 months ago. I am now taking it BACK to the dealer and they are (so they say) going to either replace or resurface the rotors. Im hoping they include brake pads. As for the shimmy, could that be alignment and balance? my car now has 19900 miles on it. (6000 were put on from a three week vacation on the east coast. So it has not been used horribly in city. Im just so let down on this. Oh, and the dealer that i am taking it to states that it is USUAL for the rotors to be replaced or resurfaced every 7-10k miles is this true?
  • daydrmg6daydrmg6 Member Posts: 4
    This is a G6 defect and will keep happening over and over. They will fix it a few times then tell you it is a maintenance issue and is not covered. GM will not back up this car. I spend over 1000 on performace slotted/drilled rotors for the front and standard for the rear and it has fixed the problem. Of course after finding out about the problem I made sure I didn't use a GM business to fix it. I now love my G6 again.
    I have 15,000 miles on my G6 and my brakes a squealing ever so slightly. Just a little bit, here and there. It is really not bothering me yet, because its only now and then and quietly. But, at 15k, I would think it shouldn't be doing that. I am not hard on my brakes at all.

I am taking it in to have my transmission looked at closely. I am telling them to take all the time in the world to look at it. Drive it and inspect it. I feel that there is something not entirely right for a car that only has 15,000 miles. However, I do plan on driving an identical car, perhaps asking them if I could drive one for the day to see if there are any differences. I am just worried, they will tell me they have found nothing. Its normal. I do plan on typing up a symptom sheet and give it to them.

I am just nervous to look as though I am making it all up.
  • holly72holly72 Member Posts: 4
    I bought our G6 last year it is a 2008. We have had brake problems since 19,000 miles. They began to feel "spongy". We have taken our car to the dealership 3 times so far. We have 24,000 miles on it now. They have "resurfaced" our rotors 3 times!!!!!! And they now say we need brakes as well. The rotors are warping when they get hot. We just picked the car up on Wednesday and it sounds AWFUL!!!!! I cant even believe that they would let us take it from the dealership sounding that bad. They tried to say it was the way we drove the car..etc. I wouldnt even let them put brakes on it...why put brakes on it when the rotors are garbage!!!!! I called GM and filed a complaint. As I can see from the forum here...I am wasting my time..I guess. $600 at the auto store to buy the correct rotors and brakes at our expensive..and it will void the warranty..because I will be damned to pay the dealership to fix it! :lemon: :mad:
    I am sure you have read about the issues on my G6 under the transmission forum.
    The dealer will have had my car for 2 days now, and I hoping the give me some news on what is going on. It better be the something really is wrong. Something I can work from.
    Well I am so sorry you are having alot of problems with the G6. I had to many problems that I wanted to burn the damn car up. Yeah its always the brakes, rotors, the power steering, the sunroof, the cd, the blower, and the front of the car roars. I started having problems with my G6 nearly a week after I leased it. I leased my G6 GTP back in 2006, and it gave me problems every since. I did file a lemon law claim and got a huge settlement, but I knew I wasn't going to purchase the car after the lease ended. The most biggest problem I had was the gear shift. It would practically get stuck in park and never come out, until about 5 to 10 minutes, which is unusual. I took it the dealership and they tried to fix it, by replacing it, it still kept on doing the same thing. I got so fed up that I traded it in for a Torrent last year. All I can say, you better get rid of before GM files for bankruptcy and aint to telling what may happen. But know I'm thinking baout purchasing a Nissan this time. Their cars are much better than the American cars.
    Well, its not that I have had a lot of issues, but having a Catilic Converter get all clogged or bad after only having my car for 13mths, that is sort of a sign! They are replacing it though, they asked me to either come pick up my car or drive the rental. The part comes in Tuesday afternoon. I asked around (dad, friends), and I was told to keep the rental. GM can front the bill, this is not my problem. Plus, I don't want to aggravate the issue more. They are putting me in this position not me. This has been the only real issue, a bigger issue, the engine has never felt truly right from the beginning.

Also, I am not sure the catilic converter even controls how it shifts through the gears. Effecting the performance, but a rough shifting transmission? They said they had to drive it a couple times to repeat the issue, but I drive about an hour each day back and forth to work. I would certainly know if something was up.

I do plan to take the car back if it is acting that way again when I get it back. I feel this way..... I pay too much a month, and work too hard for my money to be unhappy with a leased car. Luckily I have an awesome and low payment for my model of car now, so I will transfer the lease to someone else once they have checked everything out.

I am a little sad and disappointed, they put together a great package, and a great looking car, but get behind the wheel, and it just leaves you feeling with something more to be desired.

I plan on getting out.
  • ajay5ajay5 Member Posts: 10
    Vehicle Safety Recall Report

Recall Alert: PONTIAC G6
    Owner Notification Date: Feb 17, 2009
    Number of Units Potentially Affected: 8012
    Component Description: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V036000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Recall Campaign: GM IS RECALLING 8,012 MY 2005-2006 PONTIAC G6 VEHICLES. THE BRAKE LAMPS MAY NOT OPERATE PROPERLY BECAUSE OF CORROSION IN A WIRING CONNECTOR. CORROSION IN THE CONNECTOR COULD CAUSE THE BRAKE LAMPS TO ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL HAS NOT BEEN DEPRESSED, OR THE LAMPS MAY NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED. IN ADDITION, THE CRUISE CONTROL MAY NOT ENGAGE, AND GREATER BRAKE PEDAL FORCE MAY BE REQUIRED TO SHIFT THE VEHICLE OUT OF PARK.
    BRAKE LAMPS THAT ARE NOT OPERATING PROPERLY MAY NOT WARN A DRIVER IN A FOLLOWING VEHICLE OF THE BRAKING STATUS AND COULD LEAD TO A CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.

DEALERS WILL APPLY A DIELECTRIC LUBRICANT TO THE CONNECTOR TO PREVENT CORROSION. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FOR YOU FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 17, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1- 800-620-7668 OR OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

GM RECALL NO. 80317.CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
  • jeffsayersjeffsayers Member Posts: 15
    I am curious if the calipers might be the root of the G6's (and other Pontiac) problems. As I understand it, Pontiac calipers do not move straight in and out but rather they turn a corkscrew motion. It seem logical that if the inside of those threads became rusted even slightly then you would have pads constantly applying pressure to some extent against the rotors. This in turn would lead to premature failure of all parts as well as reduced gas mileage. Would also explain the situations when people had their rotors glowing red on the highway!

I have also just had my rotors turned by the dealership for the 2nd time (bought at 17K currently at 33K) and also need pads. I am considering trying to find aftermarket calipers as well. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I am curious if it is normal to have slight brake squeeks or slight squeal intermittently on my 08 G6, which had only 16,400miles on it. It seems like it is when I slowly push down on them at a slower speeds. Not all the time, but often enough to wonder if its normal or not.

I am not a person that is hard on my cars engine nor the brakes... I drive mostly highway, less city. However, makes me wonder if it is normal. I had this on my 06 Accord, but it was later on at about 25,000 or so when it every now and then showed up.

Some of this normal?
    Well, I finally got into the car and found I was wrong about the calipers. They do move straight in and out. I was also pleased to find that they were in good shape; no rust and moved quite freely. I guess my theory was wrong, at least in this case.
    Could be from lack of lubricant on moving parts, but it seems this car has a history of chewing up brake pads and rotors so you should probably check them out. The inboard pad on the passenger side gets the most wear so check that out first.
  • jennyag6jennyag6 Member Posts: 3
    I may have solved my brake/rotor issues. So far, so good.

Apparently I've been lucky, because I didn't have to replace brakes until about 45k on my 2006 G6. But I was doomed after that, of course.

They said my rotors were absolutely fine when I replaced the front brakes - I made sure of that.

The problems started immediately. Squeaking, squeeling, etc. I think they had to replace my brake pads four times. Then they told me my rotors were bad, but not before accusing me of being "hard on my brakes." (Then I reminded them that the first set lasted 45k.)

So, here's what I discovered after lots of Q&A with mechanics and owners:

I had my brakes replaced at Goodyear. I usually ask for "good" brakes, a step or two above the cheap ones. Apparently that was a bad idea, because Goodyear installed CERAMIC brakes. Until now, I didn't know the difference. Well, apparently ceramic brakes need to be paired with rotors that are a bit tougher and not so worn-out. So, at 45k, putting brand new ceramic brake pads on my old rotors was a really bad thing to do - my rotors didn't have a chance. I have a feeling if I had put the cheapest brake pads available on my car, my rotors would have been fine for a while.

Goodyear, of course, denies this. They won't take the blame for putting incompatible brake pads on my old rotors.

And, interesting -- My mom owns a Saturn Vue. She's at around 35k. She had to replace her brakes at the same time that I did. She went to a different shop but had the exact same problems. Literally, the EXACT same problems. In fact, she's still dealing with the problems. I think the Vue has the same rotors/brakes as the G6.

So after resurfacing my rotors twice and burning through 4 sets of ceramic brake pads on my G6, I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I did some research online, spoke to some mechanics, and came up with a plan.

Since our G6's have problems with overheated rotors, a mechanic recommended a drilled/slotted rotor. Since I am sour on ceramic brakes, I went ahead and bought the brake pads that were recommended for the new rotors. I ended up purchasing EBC 3GD Sport slotted and dimpled front brake discs. Then I purchased the "Greenstuff" brakes that went along with them. (I purchased online at Summit Racing.)

My order arrived and I took everything to Brake Masters and had them installed. Additionally, I made sure to specfically tell them to NOT use the electric tool to tighten the lug nuts. Apparently the number 1 cause of overheated rotors is over-torqued lug nuts. I didn't want to take any chances.

So they installed the new brakes and rotors. When I paid for the labor, the manager openly told me (without me asking) that he's not sure if what I did is going to solve my problems. I never told him I had a problem, so I inquired... He said the Pontiac G6 is the worst car in the world with brakes & rotors. He thinks Pontiac has a huge problem that they're going to have to do something about.

Anyway, I am staying positive...

I drove out and couldn't believe the difference. The new set up is absolutely SILENT, I have NO VIBRATION, and my car STOPS perfectly.

I've driven it several hundred miles already, and I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with my new rotors and brakes. I'm convinced my car is cured. Whether it was just the rotors, just the brakes, or a combination of the two - whatever I did WORKED.

So I wanted to get on these boards and share that information, just in case there are others out there who are ready to do some brake/rotor replacement, or who are having problems. So far, so good with this setup.

If my status changes, I will certainly log on and let you all know. I guess there's a good chance I may encounter problems in a few thousand miles... But I can't imagine why?? If my first set of brakes/rotors (the cheap junk that Pontiac gave us) lasted 45k, I can't imagine why replacing BOTH parts with brand new, better-quality parts won't last just as long, if not longer.

~ Jenny :)
  • bveljovicbveljovic Member Posts: 2
    Hey Jenny,

I think i have same problem as you HAD.

I have 06 Pontiac G6 95k. I just bought it and i really love it.

One thing that i notice from beggining is that on my (driving) side there is this little "thump"sound in area where the tire is.

I am almost convinced that my rotor /caliper are not doing good together anymore.
    Car was sitting at the dealership for who know how long and the corrosion must have done it.

What i am interested about is where and and what product did you get to SOLVE this problem ?? How much should i be looking spending for this.

THanks!
    I was one of the original posters and this is what me solution was. First I had to get my drivers side wheel bearing done for over $300. That stopped the loud roaring sound and vibration coming on the front end. Next I had to get my brakes pads and rotors replaced for over $300 which stopped the jerky (kinda like the brakes were skipping) feeling while stopping. Lastly I had to get new tires at over $350. The continental tires that came with my brand new G6 had little or no tread left. Now my car runs almost perfect. The breaks are still not as smooth as I would like but I did hear that the G6 need high performance rotors and ceramic pad. So next time I need to do rotors i will buy the slotted ones. I bought my 2006 G6 GT new and should not have had to do all this work. Pontiac should have known this car need high performance material to run smoothly! I love my car but i am disappointed in some of the manufacturing decisions. :mad:
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    You people are too hard on your brakes. Just traded My 04 Malibu with 44 K and brakes were about half worn and no warping. I figure they are good for at least 80 to 100 K . Treat them like a women, nice and gentle.
    "You people are too hard on your brakes. Just traded My 04 Malibu with 44 K and brakes were about half worn and no warping. I figure they are good for at least 80 to 100 K . Treat them like a women, nice and gentle."

That's fine and dandy for a Chevy, but we are talking about Pontiacs here. Secondly, I don't care how dang hard you are on brakes; in no case should they need to be replaced at 20 some thousand miles. :mad:
    Pontiac=high end performance? I am not so sure. No offense.

Pontiac, Chevy, Saturn, etc, I am sure they all use similar parts, if not the same.
    All GM products. The new malibu and G6 use an incredible amount of similar or like parts. In my book, all those brands are the same, but with different look or title.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Same car, no difference. I traded for a 09 G6, I feel I am still in my Malibu. Everything the same except some sheet metal and badge. Turn it up side down and all Malibu.
    I am no mechanic nor am i a speed racer. my mechanic reccommended i get high performance rotors to prevent the rotors from warping soo fast. he say he sees that a lot with the g6. i am not hard on my brakes. but i don't think you can compare a malibu to the g6 with a v6 engine.