Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    I have Cpatain chairs in the 2nd row. does anyone know if you can fit a bench seat there if you wanted too?If I buy a bench seat if the bolts go in the same place or are they different bolt down patterns?
  • nicolunicolu Member Posts: 4
    In April 2000, I leased a 2000 E.B. Expedition that will expire this April. My payoff on the lease is 22,5000. It is ia 4x2 with a sunroof, captains chairs, 6 disc, 5.4, heated seats and most other options. I am considering purchasing this one or leasing a 2003. Does anyone know whether the price is consistent with a comparable used model? Is it common for dealerships to reduce a previously negotiated price?

Thanks in advance
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Ask the guys at "Real World Trade Values" under the Smart Shopper message board. They'll know and will give you a straight answer, but all the rebates on the new ones have shot the heck outta the residual values.
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    I would like to buy the 2003 Expedition. I am worried about quality problems close to job 1 date. It am wondering how long one should wait in order for the quality control problems to be worked out.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our 2003 review and video clip are available from the Helpful Links toolbar on the left side of the screen.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    From my own experiences, I would wait one or maybe two years BEFORE I would buy a new Expy, due to the problems that occur when the assembly line(s) are first started on a new model.

This is not just Ford or GM, even Toyota had a number of early problems with their Sequoia. Visit the early part of the Sequoia board to see some.

Good luck!
  • feldsteinfeldstein Member Posts: 3
    I hope Ford has built in a safety feature whereby the rear seat cannot fold up when someone is sitting in it. For example, the back of the vehicle is opened while a child is sitting on the 3rd row seat. Someone or even another child inadvertanly pushes the button and causes the rear seat to fold while a child or anyone is sitting there. This safety concern bothers me.
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    In reference to #608 concerns of 2003 Expy Third Row Power Fold Down Safety Feature. Vehicle must be in park, however, your concern is warranted for there is no other safety feature revealed by ford motor co.
  • wingnut19wingnut19 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a 1998 with a keyless entry number pad on the door?
    I am looking at buy a 1998 EB and I noticed it didn't have one. The Carfax came back clean, but I found it odd that an EB didn't have one and my 1998 Explorer does.

Thanks
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    For: wingnut19...utilizing this website for a used 1998 EB Expedition answer your question. Pad is listed as standard on an EB. Possibility, driver door had to be replaced without pad.
  • eran1eran1 Member Posts: 17
    The keyless pad started with 1999 expys. Both XLT and EB trims.
  • petencpetenc Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 XLT has had three major problems under 100k miles, 1) 50k miles rough running tune-up etc $600+ 2) 72k miles running rough collapsed intake air line $300+ 3) 88k really rough running oxygen sensor, plugs and coils $685. Has anybody else had problems
    like these, any help from Ford? I can't afford to buy vechicles with problems like this. Ford refused to help at all.
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    at 97K miles with no problems. I just hope it keeps on running good.
  • nicolunicolu Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know whether Ford sells a second row console for Expeditions with 2nd row captain's chairs? If so, from where can I buy one?

Thanks in advance
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    I have a 2000 Expedition with almost 24k miles on it and am wondering if anyone uses or knows pros/cons for using synthetic oil in these engines. I know that both Mercedes and BMW use synthetic oil for their machines and quote oil change intervals of about 12k miles. Any suggestions on weight and/or warranty repercussions would also be appreciated.
    We have a 2001 Expy EB, which I have used synthetic oil in since 5000 miles. I use Mobil 1, 0-30w (Ford recommends 5-20w, which isn't available in Mobil 1). No warranty problems. I checked with Ford and my extended warranty carrier prior to doing my own oil & filter changes. I have to keep my receipts and a log.

I've used synthetic oil in all my vehicles for at least 15 years, probably longer, and have never had an oil-related failure of any type. I go about 5000 miles or six months between changes.

Speaking in general terms, if you have an engine that is prone to leaking oil, using synthetic oil may make the problem worse, as it's better lubricating abilities allow it to seep out where dinosaur oil won't.

I break-in my engines on dino oil for 5000 miles before switching, as synthetic's superior lubricating qualities do not let the internal engine parts break-in as they need to. After switching to synthetic, the engines always seem to run smoother, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Another con is the expense of synthetic. I consider the added expense as an insurance premium.
    rickc5: Thanks for the info. Did Ford state a different service interval with the synthetic? 5k oil change interval is the normal driving service interval with dino oil. My purpose in moving to synthetic would be to take advantage of a longer change interval to offset the cost of the oil and avoid shop visits. I've read some BMW posters who claim to have done an oil analysis and found no signs of breakdown at 12k miles. I think they use a Valvoline product but the weight sounds the same.
  • wdsheldonwdsheldon Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1998 EXP 4.6L new, which now has 38739kms. It has Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires and I average 13MPG city and 17.5 on a trip. Last spring I put on 3400 miles on a trip to Calif.- had no problems. So far I have done nothing to the vehicle other than oil/lube jobs. I read some of the problems other EXP owners have had- touch wood- I hope I don't experience any of them. I love my Expedition
    I should have been more clear on that. Ford didn't care if I did my own oil/filter changes and would honor the warranty if:
    1) I kept the log.
    2) I stayed with the recommended 5K intervals.
    3) I used products equivalent to Ford's or better.

There have been several articles over the years that indicate longer intervals are possible when using synthetic. Due to a 2K trip recently, I waited until 6K before I changed the oil & filter. I noticed the oil was pretty dirty. Not that it still wasn't providing superior lubricating qualities, but man, it was REALLY yucky.

Anyway, we don't put many miles on our Expy (like 12K a year) and while you could probably extend your intervals if you switch to synthetic, don't forget that time and short trips also play a big part in the breakdown of any oil's lubricating abilities.
    I was hoping to hear that Ford had studied it and came to some awe inspiring conclusion about the benefits. Seems like they'll be no interval extension benefit to doing synthetic, too bad. I have been driving my Exp'd for the last 2 years and am likely to hand it over to my wife soon. I put on a lot more miles than she, but still no more than 15k in a year, mostly suburban commute miles. We're likely to put on a few more long-trip highway miles in the near future. It would be nice not to have to keep real good track of it and do the changes on a birthday or something like that. Too bad!
  • bethk1bethk1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a '97 XLT 4X4. Will you kind folks please comment on your satisfaction with your '97s? Thank you!
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    nicolu,

I recall that a while back, in this very area, the 2nd row console question was raised. One person stated that they ordered a console for the Navigator, and that, aside from having to drill the mounting holes, it was a perfect fit and color match for their Expy.

Scott
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know where I can get a good brush guard and tail light guards for my 2001 XLT 4x4?

I am looking for suggestions. Please help me!
    Which state do you live in? I had mine done through a place called sportsrack. They are a vehicle outfitter company. Did a killer job. I also got great pricing. I found places on the internet that had great prices and they matched everything or beat it. I saved over $300 on my brushguard w/install. (with 6 1/2 inch PIAA's on it) if you want me to email you a pic let me know or send me your email.
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    Have a 2001 XLT 5.4L 4X4 with about everything except leather seats and air suspension. I have owned Toyota's, Chevy's Dodge's and whatever can be owned. I am 62 years young and don't like small cars I can't get in an out of. This is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever taken a trip in. Plenty of power, high up so you can see something. Only get 13.5mpg around town and 16mpg on the road, but I have to give up something for the comfort. The all wheel drive is sensational especially in snow. If anyone who gets an expedition and doesn't care for it, drive it a while it will grow on you.
    Have a great day.
    Frankk.
    Hey! shand32783 I would appreciate a pic of your brush guard. My email is bornzo@msn.com. I live in Illinois. If you know any shops here in Illinois let me know or if you have info for any online place please let me know.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Look through performanceproducts.com for brush guards - they've got lots of them. Most brush guards are very easy to do yourself. You could also search some of the more popular brands - Grizzly, Manik, Go Rhino, etc...
    I read on the Ford Website that the towing capacity of the 2003 Expedition will be 8900lbs.
    thats pretty good for a SUV. I'm sure that will be with 5.4L and 4X2. But still thats pretty impressive.

Frankk
    That is pretty much what the towing capacity already is. That is with the 5.4 and 2wd as you suggested, as well as 3.73 rears and 16" wheels. There had been some suggestions that the V10 or diesel from the Excursion would make an appearnace as well.
    Hey alwaysfords!!
    Thanks for the info, I will be doing some research and hopefully find a nice brushguard.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Consumer Ratings for your vehicle (both New and Used). Feel free to write your own. (The Rating will be found in the upper right when you drill down to your make and model).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • codavecodave Member Posts: 6
    I doubt that you will see a V10 in 2003. The 7.3L diesel won't fit under the hood, one of the reasons for the new design of super duty a few years ago I heard. Navistar has a new 6.0L diesel to go in the Super Duty for 2003. They also have a 4.5L that is to be offered in the Super Duty, Expedition, and F-150 at some point. A 3.0L is rumored to be out there for other smaller vehicles (read that as Explorer?)
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    My personal recommendation for a brushguard is to
    get a Manik. Go Rhino and Smittybuilt rust really fast....and their "warranties" are an absolute farce...saying you void the 5 year warranty unless you wash or wax their stuff daily..right!
    Hey pwitz!

I will check out the Manik brushguards. I appreciate the info on the others warranty issue.
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Greetings All,

I have a 2001 Expy EB, and previously drove a '98. I am experiencing a few oddities, and I am curious to know if anyone else sees the same.

my list to-date (things that I experienced in both vehicles);

A constant, soft squeak inside the drivers-side front door pillar (where the seat belt is attached).
    Rear hatch window struts which groan when opened during cold weather.
    Flip-out window motors that groan when opened or closed.
    A thunk from under the dash when the HVAC is turned on/off.

One thing specific to my '01 is that a spring or other seat bit has come loose in the front seat. It is now creating a protruding spot on the seat (I will get this looked at shortly, and expect it to be covered in warranty).

Over all, I love the thing, and look forward to the new design (similarities to the new Explorer not-withstanding).

Anyone able to relate similar experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Scott
    My experience with Manik has been great, but I didn't want to go off sounding like a product pusher. In addition to being better looking (personal opinion) the warranty is really good. I had a lens guard chip and rust in that spot. It really wasn't a big deal, it was removable and could easily be poweder coated. I contacted Manik after having the guard for a year, and instead of taking me up on my suggestion to just send them the guard, they sent me a whole new guard. I'm sure the chip came from something kicking up on the highway, as I drive close to 30k per year, but they didn't even flinch.
    We have owned our 2001 EB for over a year. It has yet to go back to the dealer for anything. I change my own oil & filters.

The only item on your list that I have encountered are the slow, groaning rear window struts when it is very cold. Having owned several pickups with shells/toppers having the same type of struts that reacted the same way in cold weather, I have chosen to ignore this as it appears to be universal and not specific to the Expy.

We still love our Expy too and may soon buy a Ranger to keep it company.
    Did you get the pics of the brush guard?What did youthink? Thanks
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi!

While I do not have an Expedition, just wanted to comment that my '00 Explorer has the same noise you describe when I shut off my A/C or vent. This is normal for Explorers, could be a "standard" Ford ventilation system design.

My parents have a '00 Mountaineer and it has the same soft squeak coming from the driver's seat belt anchor/mechanism on the b-pillar. I won't even go into the major structural problem my Explorer had with its b-pillar that required 17 straight days at the dealer and $2,000 in warranty repairs.
  • phall3phall3 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 99 E.B. Expe. with 31000 on it. The bottoms of all 4 doors are rusting along the seam where the door skin meets the door. Ford tells me this is a common problem of all expe. plus F-150's. They don't have a good solution to fix it, just sand the area and repaint. I did this and 6 months later it is back worse than ever. The dealer tells me there is nothing more that they can do, just sand and repaint until it rusts through. Then they might replace the skin. Doesn't make much sense to me why not fix the problem the first time instead of putting a bandaid in it. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get it fixed? Also heard that there is a oil leak on the heads of some engines. Is this true?
    The head leak is true for 5.4's, but I haven't heard about the rust. Did you have the extra dealer rustproofing applied? Lots of times it actually increases the likelihood of rust through because it blocks the weep holes between the inner and outer door skins. Water collects at the door bottom and rots through.
  • jettug1jettug1 Member Posts: 8
    My 99 expy xlt with the 4.6 2 wheel drive has 53k miles and decided to start skipping 2nd gear. After taking it to a trans shop and the dealer it is decided the sprag gear is at fault. At least $1500 bucks to repair. Funny thing is it happened about the time the wife left the lights on and drained the battery. No codes were found in the computer. Boy what a nice thing to do is to rebuild the trans in a leased vehicle.
    I would be most unhappy if I had to rebuild a tranny on a leased truck. YUCK!

We left our radar detector plugged in our '01 EB and totally drained the battery TWICE, about two months apart. The only problem I noticed was that the radio lost some of its "memorized" settings. We have since had the power ports re-wired so they shut off when the engine is turned off (like most Japanese cars & trucks).
  • phall3phall3 Member Posts: 3
    Alwaysford, I did not have the extra rusting proofing done, but my local dealer is giving me a hard time about fixing it again. Asked him about the head leaking and he asked me if it was a "seep or a leak." He said that seeps are a common problem and not to be worried. I asked him if he would look at my car to see if I had a problem and he said if it is seep, which is not covered by warranty, I would have to pay 1/2 hr shop rate for them to put it up on the hoist to look. Could not believe him. Are all ford people jerks? What happened to Ford is quality one.
    Hey shand32783!

Thanks for the pics. I am going to purchase my brush guard today. I appreciate all the help I received from everyone.
    I just lived through the oil leak, so I can give you some current information. There are several TSB's for the oil leak condition. The leaks are on the passenger side at the back of the motor near the firewall. There are a few possibilities - a cracked head, or a metal shaving left over from the machining process which when the motor was assembled could have caused either the head or the top of the motor the be damaged. In the case of the cracked head (which I had at 55,000), they rip down that side of the motor and replace the head itself. The cost if Ford didn't help you out would be around 2500 bucks. Ford does pony up everything except 500 however, which is an admission of some guilt. They did this for me at 55k miles, without an extended warranty. The other situation is a little worse - if the motor deck winds up being dented more than .005", the TSB says quite simply "replace the motor".

The rust problem is really strange - I haven't heard of that before. My car is outside all the time and gets washed once a week, and I live in an area of heavy salt use (not this winter!) and have absolutely no hint of rust.
  • jettug1jettug1 Member Posts: 8
    Ford agreed to pay half of repairs. This is some relief but it will still cost me up to $900.
    Hopefully it will not take the dealership forever and a day to get the job done. I will let everyone know how it goes.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    a 98 EXP that I really loved. The one and only problem was the sorry gas milage. I am now driving an 02 Tahoe. While I think the EXP was superior in many respects, my Tahoe gets a respectable 15 mpg (or very close) city driving and the old Ford never beat 12.5 but mostly 11ish. Why can't Ford do as well with considerably less hp? It's a mystery to me. Ford rules for ergonomics, but they just have not gotten the engine/power thing down.
    in our 2001 EB with the 5.4L engine. We get a consistent 14 around town and about 16 on the highway. Makes me wonder what the differences are/were?

I have a friend with an '01 Tahoe. We have taken several LONG highway trips in both vehicles. IMHO (and this is purely a personal opinion), I really like the Expy better on the highway that the Tahoe. In particular, I like having more legroom.
    The 2003 Expedition will be rated a 14mpg city and 17 on the road. The engine is the same, is this wishfull thinking or what have they done different? The tow rating will be 8900lb load thats higher than the F150 pickup, I really interested in this vehicle I hope it lives up to its hype.
    "Thats all folks"
    Frankk