Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Transmission

1235»

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I hope everything goes well today, pmadams. If we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch by sending an email to socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • zatarra25zatarra25 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah, thanks for your response. I am extremely frustrated. I took it to a mechanic and they said they have no other answer except to put a brand new shifter in the car. Why would a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on it need a new shifter? Why is it that when I google the problems, the G6 is plagued with this issue, including listed in an 09 recall that said the same issues I have,cruise working intermittently and it being extremely hard to get out of park? If it was a shifter it would gradually get worse and worse until the part failed, not intermittently and out of the blue. I just want to be able to have a trained Pontiac technician look at it, and find the issue since they would be familiar with any past recalls, technical issues with this type of car. Is there a way that I can get that done and who do I speak to? I have already had two diagnostics done, and am way beyond frustrated with this issue. I have never had this type of issue with any vehicle that I have owned.
    We'd be happy to help you locate a dealership that services Pontiacs. Please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com that includes your name/Edmunds username, request for assistance in locating a Pontiac dealer (Christina, my coworker, answers inbound emails), and your ZIP code.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An automotive organization would like to speak with used car buyers who bought cars that they later found out were not up to date on recall repairs. If you are willing to discuss your experience, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Friday, April 20, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pmadamspmadams Member Posts: 4
    Service department at dealership talked with GM engineer. He was told to change the tranny fluid. Cost $169 since it was classified as regular maintenance and not covered under extended warranty. Boyfriend picked car up after work and it hard shifted coming out of the dealer's driveway and several times on the way home. I drove it to dinner and it happened 3 more times. Have to wonder if they road tested it after changing the fluid.

Sarah...any ideas here?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Strange a GM engineer would say to change transmission fluid for hard shift.
    Any code would cause it, make Pressure Control Sensor {PCS} go to full pressure. IAT sensor bad, would.
    Needs to be scanned.
    We'd be happy to follow up on this for you; please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following details: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage, the name of your dealership and any details about your recent visit (date, diagnosis, etc).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Dealership left msg that they ordered several parts that will be installed on Monday 4/23. Will post follow-up as to the parts and outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed :)
    I think the dealership may have finally fixed the hard shift problem on our G-6. It hasn't happened again since we picked the car up on 4/26 and runs great.

Here are the comments on our receipt:
    Remove Trans Ubit (?). Replace complete valve body and necessary gaskets. Flush cooler lines, perform alignment then reinstall transmission.

Parts included: Housing, Band ASM, Valve Sol, Trans Kit, Plate ASM, Harness, Gasket and Fluid.

Our extended warranty covered everything including a rental car for 2 days.
    The ? mark would be unit, typo.
  • g6owner2g6owner2 Member Posts: 1
    Ok i need some assistance. I bought the 09 G6 at 20,000 miles. It is now at 28,000 miles. I bought it knowing something was off with the air because it didnt blow cold and guy said it just needed refilled and so i refilled it and it stayed cold but everyone kept saying the clutch in the compressor was going out. So im driving down the road and my car wont shift. The rpms are at 5 and still wont shift. Then it finally JERKS into 2nd and it is starting to lose power and the power steering is messed up. So im thinking, its the compressoe bc the guy said the car would completely shut off when belt broke from compressor going out but i call around and they say that is not common things for it to be doing when a compressoe goes out. Now my mileage says error, has check engine light and makes a kind of grind turninf on and off. Ive not had ANY technical issues with this car besides the deal with the compressor and now this issue.? Does anyone know anything.? I dont want to get it towed somewhere for them to tell me something stupid or something like they dont know or what have you. Somebody please help.
    Good morning g6owner2,

If we can check into information on any existing warranties you may still have on your vehicle, please send us your inquiry, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • tsousleytsousley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, the car has 59,000 miles. I was driving home on Saturday night, stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green I hit the gas and it just reved up like the car was in neutral. I figured out the car will go forward when you put it in slap stick mode and will still reverse, does anyone know what could be the problem! Please Help!
    Good afternoon tsousley,

We hope you get some helpful technical insights from other members of the forum soon (we cannot, unfortunately, provide much technical troubleshooting over the internet). If you want for us to check into any warranty or recall information on your vehicle, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information at socialmedia@gm.com

• cosentino10cosentino10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 G6 V6 also with 52,000 miles and I have had exactly the same problem. I don't know if I still have a warranty and what dealership I could take it to. Not sure what the problem could be but am having what seems to be transmission problems at about 40 MPH and sometimes when idle.
    Good afternoon cosentino10,

If you had wanted for us to check into your warranty information and potentially help you find a dealership in your area, please send us the following information via email at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and contact information (especially your ZIP code), and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ljanardanljanardan Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have been having the same problems and apparently I took it to the dealer and he said that its one of the spark plugs in the cylinder 1. So, my question is how do I trust its the cylinder. Generally if one of the plugs are bad they have to set a code and somehow there has been no error code set. My warranty ends June 2013 and I dont want the trans to break down after the warranty. Any more updates on this issue as to what is wrong.

Thanks,
    Jan
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ljanardan,

If you had wanted for us to check into this further with you and your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• victoriajvgvictoriajvg Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT coupe. I bought it used from a GM dealership 3 years ago and have had nothing by continuous problems since I bought it! Brakes, ball joints (already a few times each!!), and transmission problems. I am afraid to even know whats wrong with it, because its always expensive, and like most people, don't have the money to fix it asap. The transmissions likes to kick from 1000rpm to get to 2000rmp, ALL the time. I notice it the most when I am on the highway. It has to be the transmission. I am also having issues with the alignment. Everytime I get work on my car, it gets re-aligned and lasts for about 2months and then I feel like i'm always trying to keep my car straight!.Please help!! I am a daughter of a GM employee of 30+ years so GM is what we always buy out of loyalty, but these problems are making me want to buy a honda or something not north american!! Please help!!
    victoriajvg,

If you would like for us to check into this further with your involved dealership, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • anniegibsonanniegibson Member Posts: 3
    Let me just say, I come from a Pontiac family. I could identify the model year of a GTO before I could tie my shoes. But, my experiences with my car have left me befuddled. I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP that is causing me fits, and has been for a while.

Bought the car in 2007, with about 30k miles on it. In 2009, while on vacation in South Missouri, the clutch burned out on a super hot summer day. After an excruciating 1.5 hour ride with a tow truck driver, 2 6 hour trips to get it, a big search for parts, nearly 2 weeks of rides from others, and almost 2k, I got my car back along with a lecture on how to drive a stick. (I grew up on a farm, and don't need lessons).

Well, 2011, on another hot summer day, clutch #2 bites the big one. So, another 2k, 2 weeks without a car, and another lecture about how this little girl can't driver her car. To prove them wrong, I took them on a little ride. They could hardly drive my car, I had no issues and they conceded that I can, indeed, drive the car. I would've gotten rid of the car then, but my Dad really really really loved this car. The mechanic this time and the time before thought that a defect in the slave unit that caused it to leak and emit fluid to ruin the clutch.

Well today, its dead cold in Missouri. My trusty G6 started like a dream and I drove about 80 miles. Then I drive through some pretty heavy traffic, and tried to parallel park. When it came to making the final pull forward, it was a no go. Clutch to the floor, car won't go in gear, out of gear, won't do anything. Completely different from the other 2 times. No instant clutch smell. Because I was far from home and had other plans, I left the car where it was, and went about my day. Figured I'll wait to call a tow truck and plan a long ride home until I absolutely have to do so. I contacted a couple of my car buddies, who said to give it some time and see if maybe it just got too hot (the high today was 19). When I returned to my car, I was able to raise the clutch pedal, and it engaged like nothing ever happened. I talked with my buddies who said if it appeared to be driving normal and there was nothing leaking or smelling, to put it in gear and drive home. Thats what I did and she ran like a dream ... until I came to a full stop and attempted to shift to first. No go. Spongy clutch to the floor. Turned the car off, picked up the clutch pedal, turned the car back on, and I can shift gears, though the clutch is very soft. Still no clutch smell at all. So she's parked in a lot, awaiting what looks like a tow ... again.

The consensus among my friends and family is that I have air or a leak in the clutch assembly/slave unit. We'll likely try to bleed the system, but thats an undertaking in itself when the highs this week are in the teens. Plus, from what I understand I may not be able to access the bleeder valve without taking out the engine? Sounds to me like its another garage, and another dumb female driver lecture for me. If anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know.

I know this is a long message, but my Dad passed away suddenly in August, and we spent alot of time on this car together. Rotors, alternator, oil changes, and lots of memories in this old car. Yes, it has 130K miles, but less than 25k on this clutch. And when it runs ... it RUNS. I work with law enforcement and they all love the way this car runs. Hate to see it go, but at this point, I can't really see sinking cash into this car, when I can use that money as a down payment for a new vehicle ... certainly NOT a GM product (though that really hurts to say).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    anniegibson,

Was the most recent clutch replacement done with one of our dealerships?

No, it was not. It was done by a well respected local mechanic.

Annie
  • magicjemagicje Member Posts: 1
    A long time Pontiac fan my '06 G6 GTP has done nothing but give issues. I had the grinding brakes, the grinding steering column, shaking while braking. This has been an awful. The cake was taken today when while at a red light while in drive, the gears failed to engage. I'm thankful I was stopped when this happened else it certainly would have been a serious accident. Thankfully the manumatic was working (barely) and I got home. The former cost almost 3000 to fix. I'm not looking forward to this next repair. I'm very disappointed in GM on this one. Not even 90,000 miles and the car is having major issues. You would think with the number of issues in these cars all over message boards GM would have stepped up to the plate, owned these obvious manufacture shortcomings, and fixed these for the Pontiac faithful. Instead, they send a clear message, buy a Ford, Nissan, Honda, or Dodge. Anything but a GM. A shame from a company I used to have much respect for.
    magicje,

Glad to hear that you were in a controllable situation when the gears failed to engage. Are you planning on working with your GM dealership to get this addressed? Let us know if we can look into anything. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• thegirlsleuththegirlsleuth Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Pontiac g6. Today, after stopping at a stop sign, it wouldn't accelerate, and the engine raced. Using manual, I was able to get it to the side of the road and call a tow. I thought my car was out of warranty and had it taken to a place near my house. While they were doing a diagnostic--yup, transmission=--I was able to track down through GMC that my car was still under warranty so yay! but then I had to have to arrange to have it towed to the dealership and rent a car, which because it was a Saturday, was a huge hassle. I guess my question is, are these cars (or is my car) a lemon? I have to say, I had a moment of panic when I thought my car wasn't under warranty and considered the costs, but this is the fourth major problem I've had in less than five years, including an engine rebuild and separate head gasket replacement, and as I anticipate the warranty ending I am worried. I had a pontiac grand am that didn't cause me too many problems, and my family had a lot of pontiacs, but this car has been a disaster from day one. My friends make fun of me because I have so many car crisis, and its funny now, but when the warranty runs out, this isn't going to be funny anymore.
    Either get another extended warranty or trade it in. A GM dealer would tell you to do the same thing.
    So far my 09 G6 2.4 has had no major problems at 47K miles.
    thegirlsleuth,
    We're sorry that you've encountered so many issues with your G6. Keep us posted on how the transmission replacement goes! If we can look into anything for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • honeydo5honeydo5 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a brand new 2009 Pontiac G6, mainly drove it back and fourth to work. My car had about 47/48k miles on it when it started giving me problems. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, took it back again and they said its my O2 censors, paid $300.00 to have it repaired. Not even 2weeks later my car started acting up again. My Rpm was going crazy, my ck engine light was coming on my traction control light was coming on. I decided to trade my vehicle in to get a more reliable car. Today I had to stop by the dealership to pick my plates up and my salesman told me that I got out of that car just in time because the transmission went out!!!!! I will never purchase another Pontiac and would never reccomend anyone to buy a Pontiac!!!!!!!!
    edited March 2013
    The transmission was under warranty and would cost you nothing to repair.
    Strange the dealer did not know that.
    In fact my catalytic converter is warrantied for 150K miles or 15 years.
    I also own 09 G6 with 48K miles.
  • gman44446gman44446 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a G6 convertible,a 07. I love the car but.... it has its issues. First is the infamous BRake light stays on even if you don't have your foot on the pedal. Remedy is to find the BCM module under the right side passenger dash behind the center console that houses your climate.....and disconnect your negative battery cable, remove the cover housing the module, disconnecting the module and applying a layer of dielectric grease to it and reversing the prior steps. Takes 5 min to do. Does NOT cure it but its the same thing the dealership will do and charge you $125 for. Next is the transmission. Starting off from a dead stop sometimes results in no power,slippage and then finally engages,and depending on much throttle you applied, one hell of a kickback. currently have 41,000 miles on car and it's been approx. 3 yrs w this prob. Going tues to see if theres any codes involved. Already contacted the NHTSA about both issues and they said they would get w me on both. Almost got into at least 10 accidents regarding the trans. Highly unacceptable. Will post new info when done w my appointment.
  • desert465desert465 Member Posts: 1
    I just don't know what to do at this point. The transmission randomly slips from a dead stop causing high engine RPM's and then slams into gear, tires spin. I cant tell you how many times I have almost been side swiped crossing a road.

I did take it into my local dealership back in 10/12 and then said they could not find any issues and cant look at it unless they could re-produce the problem.

It does only seem to happen after and extended drive and it now seems to be doing it more often.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Power train warranty is 5 yr 100K, if yours still good, take it in.
  • bobscar1bobscar1 Member Posts: 2
    After taking my to the dealer 3 times for the same problem, and them telling me the samething, I drove it around trying to feal what was going on with the car, as I slowed down to a stop, watching the RPM's I saw that the car was not slipping back down to first gear, everytime. and the RPM would idle about 100 RPM's over normal. then as i gave it gas. it would slam into first. I figure out that it must be my "trans control mod." so I took it to an independent trans shop. I told him what I thought it was, he checked it out, and said, " he would have to pull the trans to figure out what it was. he said "he found a bad bearing, and would need to rebuild the whole trans, He did. after the rebuild I took the car home, and it did the sameting. under the new warrenty. I took it back to him 3 times. The last time he replaced the TRANS CONTROL MOD. and had the dealer program it, and it's been running fine sence. I hope this helps!
  • britbiker9britbiker9 Member Posts: 3
    Interesting to hear from another G6 GTP owner with a stick shift.
    My 2006 G6 's clutch burnt out with over 50 K a few years ago. I was more aggressive than usual but not hot rodding Having driven primarily manual transmission for 40 years I have NEVER burnt a clutch. Last week, while away on vacation my kids used my G6 and they have driven it before. Once again my clutch is shot with 96K miles. I expected my clutch to last a lifetime of the car, as is my previous experiences. With a 3.9 L engine, the clutch should be robust enough to handle the power. I believe Tranny is made in Hungary.
    Love the car but not the transmission.
    It is the slave unit, at least on my car. It cracks, leaks onto the clutch, and fries everything. Huge design flaw in this part. I burned 2 clutches this way, but was able to save clutch 3 because I figured it out prior to the fluid in the unit ruining my clutch. I do not drive my car rough at all. I was told twice that I didn't know how to properly drive a stick, then promptly watched 2 burly mechanics kill the car trying to show me how to drive. The last mechanic couldn't believe what a crappy part this was on a Pontiac. Best of luck with yours, but I'll bet the pesky slave unit is the cause of your ruined clutch.
  • britbiker9britbiker9 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks much for the info. Will advise my mechanic to check it out in the future.
  • jlfirstjlfirst Member Posts: 1
    Out of the blue I believe my transmission went at 113,000. By the sounds of it this seems to be a prob thru 2008 models. Why no recalls? Must be why they stopped making them and screwed us all.
    Still making them, it's called Malibu, same car.
  • kerrycostakerrycosta Member Posts: 1

I have a 2007 G6 hardtop convertible at 69,000 miles the transmission went out, had it repaired at the dealer under warranty, and just this past week at 139,000 miles it went out again. Put it in drive and nothing, like others, was able to limp it home in the manual shift mode. Going to cost close to $3000.00 to have it repaired. I love this car, and didn't expect to have the transmission fail twice.

I believe the transmission is too weak for the V6 engine.

• jtodd3jtodd3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I'm new to the discussion but I have an 07 g6 2.4 4 cylinder. I followed sabstians advice and replaced the engine variable timing solenoid which had same part number he provided. The clunking stopped for a small time then check engine light came on again  and the clunking started again. When I had the light diagnosed it pulled the cam position sensor. Are these the same part? I'm confused. Anytime I pulled the power to cancel out the light it drives smooth until the light clicks back on then clunking begins. I noticed there are two parts right next to each other that looks the same. The engine variable timing solenoid and the other one idk. Any thoughts?
    Replace both cam solenoids passenger side top. The code causes the transmission to go the full pressure.

Go here, all you need to know.http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12532
  • waynetexaswaynetexas Member Posts: 1
    I have a Pontiac g6 2009 I've had the wheel bearings checked and everything is a grinding noise that starts about 40 miles an hour and gets louder when you get to 60 I've had the wheel bearings checked and they say they're fine but I still can't figure out what to grinding noises can anybody help
  • sierrarenee_93sierrarenee_93 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2006 Pontiac g6 gtp 6 speed. I'm pretty sure the clutch went out but I've heard a million different possibilities So I'm gonna tell ya what's going and please tell me what you think? I bought this car used 2 months ago. I'm not gonna lie I'm not the best at driving a stick so I was prepared to burn the clutch up I just didn't think it would be that fast. I was driving down the highway one day and my friend was driving behind me and for some reason 5th gear was really hard to get into so as my rpms were going and I went from 4th to 5th I hit 3rd but I fixed it fast and it didn't red line. My friend called and told me that I had a huge white cloud come out of my car but I didn't hear or feel anything unusual and I didn't stop cuz the car didn't even stink and we were almost to our destination and I figured if it was gonna stop working why not do it at home instead of on the highway. So I get home check under my hood and everything seems right. I drive my car again about 2 hours later and it's perfect. But the next day I was on my way to work driving just fine and suddenly my gas pedal stopped working but my rpms stayed where they were and I kept going for about a mile and then it wouldn't really stay up to speed anymore so I pulled over and that was that. But my car still starts just fine but if I start the car in 1st  and take my foot off the clutch the car doesn't jerk forward like it would have normally and it will not move when in gear. The car goes from gear to gear smooth as hell and I don't even have to have the clutch pushed in to move gears just sitting there. The car never made any noises or anything and then bam won't move at all. Ideas?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I have 2006 Pontiac g6 gtp 6 speed. I'm pretty sure the clutch went out but I've heard a million different possibilities So I'm gonna tell ya what's going and please tell me what you think? I bought this car used 2 months ago. I'm not gonna lie I'm not the best at driving a stick so I was prepared to burn the clutch up I just didn't think it would be that fast. I was driving down the highway one day and my friend was driving behind me and for some reason 5th gear was really hard to get into so as my rpms were going and I went from 4th to 5th I hit 3rd but I fixed it fast and it didn't red line. My friend called and told me that I had a huge white cloud come out of my car but I didn't hear or feel anything unusual and I didn't stop cuz the car didn't even stink and we were almost to our destination and I figured if it was gonna stop working why not do it at home instead of on the highway. So I get home check under my hood and everything seems right. I drive my car again about 2 hours later and it's perfect. But the next day I was on my way to work driving just fine and suddenly my gas pedal stopped working but my rpms stayed where they were and I kept going for about a mile and then it wouldn't really stay up to speed anymore so I pulled over and that was that. But my car still starts just fine but if I start the car in 1st  and take my foot off the clutch the car doesn't jerk forward like it would have normally and it will not move when in gear. The car goes from gear to gear smooth as hell and I don't even have to have the clutch pushed in to move gears just sitting there. The car never made any noises or anything and then bam won't move at all. Ideas?
    You destroyed the clutch.   1,500 to 2,000 dollars and you will be ok.  But try to learn from a guy that knows how to drive a stick so you have a chance of properly driving it in the future and not destroying your car.
  • cakesv6cakesv6 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 G6 V6 and have been experiencing the same start 1st to 2nd shift issue as well. Sebastian 7704 I was reading your posts here and would like to know if after replacing the intake actuator, did that finally fix your issue or was there any other parts that needed to be replaced to fix this issue? I'm on a slim budget and would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thank you.