Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Navigation System

1235»

Comments

• g352008ksbg352008ksb Member Posts: 2
    I'm hearing $125 + for a dealer install charge on NAV system updates from NAVTECH. This is on top of (current) $99 offer from NAVTECH for purchasing the upgrade ( '09 - '10 upgrade )

Is there a work around available at a lower cost?

Thanks!
    g352008ksb
    2008 G35s
  • bkscanlonbkscanlon Member Posts: 3
    Just traded my 2007 lease in for a 2010. Gotta say, a near perfect nav system in the old is now very slow, hangs, and has issues. Anyone else experienced this?
  • gebinhollandgebinholland Member Posts: 1
    Hello from Holland!
    I also imported an Infinity ('08-G35) from the States. Did you get the Nav system working? I can't believe it can't be done, the GPS coordinates are correct so I know the GPS works here. Both dealer in Holland and UK say they can't load maps. Do we live in the 19th century??? :mad:
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    > Did you ever get an answer? Im trying to sell the car and do not want this info left in the system

Nope. I can't believe something like this can't be done. Anybody?
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    Page 4-22 of the Navigation system manual (2005 G-35) has a procedure for clearing the memory.
  • texas2010texas2010 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer? I got an email for the internet $99 upgrade for navigation system, valid until June 30, 2010. Reading fine print about extra charge at dealership for installation... I called Infinite today and they said it was $110 for installation.
  • g352008ksbg352008ksb Member Posts: 2
    No, I never got an answer on this. I'm thinking there must be an alternative to the high dealer charge. Talking with customer service at NAVTEQ they said many Infiniti dealers do the download free but they heard of dealer charges from $125 to $235. :mad:

NAVTEQ has a deal restricting their software to INFINITI dealers but there must be a way around that.
    I checked the manual for the 2007 G35 and found nothing on clearing memory (unfortunately). I still can't believe there isn't a way to delete this route address entries.
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    I downloaded tthe 2007 G-35 NAVIGATION SYSTEM manual from http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/techpubs

On page 6-21 there is a procedure for deleting old entries.
    edited June 2010
    "I downloaded tthe 2007 G-35 NAVIGATION SYSTEM manual from http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/techpubs
    On page 6-21 there is a procedure for deleting old entries."

Yes! Thanks for taking the time to find this.

To delete Previous Destinations is not real obvious. Here are the steps if anyone else is looking...

1. Select the Settings button on your console dash.
    2. Choose Navigation from the menu.
    3. Choose Address Book.
    4. Choose Delete Stored Items.
    5. Choose Delete Previous Destination
    6. Then you can select either 'Delete All' or 'Delete One'.

Delete All will clear out your previous destinations. NOTE: Your stored Address Book will remain intact.
  • crazyhorse627crazyhorse627 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone if there is any soft hack on 2007 G35 Sedan Navigation? I don't really want to take the navigation system out to do hard hack. Thanks!
  • treacherous1treacherous1 Member Posts: 1
    None I have ever seen over the years in all the G forums. System runs QNX.
  • jonnyk2jonnyk2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem on my 2004 G35 Coupe. The GPS will most often not power on startup. Once the vehicle gets warm and is driven around and restarted a few times throughout the day, then magically the GPS will power on and start working. The system does not seem to be getting any power when it doesn't startup at the first try which I checked by trying to eject the DVD from the glovebox.

Anyone know the underlying problem?

I thought I read somewhere trying to google the problem that it has to do with a capacitor being cold in the unit and one solution was to use a blowdryer to warm the unit manually, which doesn't seem practical.

Jonny
  • alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    I have an '08 G35x and I'm contemplating buying a new G37x. I'm thinking ahead, trying to figure out how I can take my music with me. I have a lot of time invested in having copied all of those CD's!

Does anyone know of a way to copy my current Music Box to a new car?
  • john492john492 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 G35 and was wondering if I could install a navigation sustem and at what cost
  • matt052361matt052361 Member Posts: 1
    Please, if someone from Infiniti is listening, help! Generally navigation is good, but there are two huge flaws I wish Infiniti would address in my G37 (seems very similar to G35 comment above). One should be do-able with existing vehicles; why should I throw out a $40,000 car for a software upgrade? (even my $750 computer gets this right).

1) Voice prompts. "Or push back button ..." repeated each time, and no way to jog the prompts by hitting a button (e.g., skip all prompts when you know what you are doing and immediately get the "beep" asking for input). This would have *CLEARLY* come up in user testing if they had carried the experiment past first use, an obvious use case for a 10-year owner. This very nearly makes voice unusable, as by the time the system gets the address target I've already gone a couple miles - potentially out of the way. IT SHOULD ALSO BE FIXABLE BY SOFTWARE UPDATE!

2) System should allow the last address to be a template (e.g., lock-in state, city and then just search out street). Scrolling through hundreds of "Main Street" options for all of california when most searches are not going to trigger a 1,500 mile drive (thinking about driving patterns) is very wasteful.

While they are at it, they should get rid of the "Show Map" option, at least for voice. Would anyone really go through 3 minutes of voice prompts to show dot on a map while they are driving in a completely different area? How common is this use case vs. the payload of having to address it each time, and the possibility that one chooses incorrectly and then restarts the entire process?

I brought the first issue up via email to Infiniti ... *horrific response*. I've included the exchange below. Notice, I ask explicitly about a software patch for the voice system, and they respond by saying you order maps by visiting NAVTEQ. I get better customer service on a $100 coffee maker (literally, just had this happen) than my $40,000 car. Terrible! Insulting...

My observation: Infiniti should spend less time congratulating itself on what a great navigation system it has, less money on its commercials, and treat its paying customers like the asset they are. I could be "Infiniti for life". That's a solid 10 more cars, which should be worth a lot. But I have lots of options, and some of them are willing to treat me like a valued customer rather than some idiot not worth even a tailored response that meets the low standard of my Krups coffee maker support line...

Matt.

---------------------------------
    From: Infiniti Consumer Affairs [mailto:InfinitiConsumerAffairs@nissan-usa.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:26 AM
    To: Matt
    Subject: RE: I need help regarding my vehicle

December 21, 2010

Dear Mathew:

Thank you for contacting Infiniti and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance. We suggest you contact NAVTEQ Navigation Systems at 1-800-777-0325.

Unfortunately, Infiniti does not have the capability to order the maps for your GPS. We apologize for the inconvenience however NAVTEQ is in the best position to assist with your request as they have access to inventory.

Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-662-6200 (Option 6) with any questions or comments.

Thank you for taking the time to email Infiniti.

Sincerely,

Infiniti

Irene Colella
    Consumer Affairs Representative
    Infiniti

-------------------------
    Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 04:02 PM
    To: Infiniti Consumer Affairs
    Subject: I need help regarding my vehicle

firstname : Matthew
    source : InfinitiContactUs

comments : In love with the car. However, one thing is killing me: the voice prompts. Constant repetition of "or push back button ..." and unable to FF when I know the entire flow for directions. Read the manual; it suggested "alternate" to truncate prompts, but had *zero* effect, other than getting rid of the initial voice prompt (menu). Is there any update here? Software patch? Any fix? Thanks!

year : 2009
    make : Infiniti
    model : G Sedan
    mileage : 8000
  • mark2007mark2007 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2007 G35 sport coupe. Love the car! So far...hate the navigation system. What am I missing??? Do I really have to scroll around w/ the little joystick and click each letter or number? And I have to be uber careful to push exactly straight down as I click down for it to actually "enter". As far as I can tell there's no voice command input. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Technique tips??? I'm seriously thinking of taking it out just to gain more storage...
  • mark2007mark2007 Member Posts: 2
    Also with my '07 G35 Sport Coupe...
    1) It stinks that I have to pull over and stop (especially since it takes 10 minutes to input an address). I understand the safety issue, but I often have a passenger who could put the information in while I'm driving.

2) Can it do a "search along"? I can't find it. Like a gas station or Five Guys on the way to my destination.

Thanks--as a newbie, any information would really be appreciated.
  • nashvegas1nashvegas1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey John,
    I just bought an '08 G35x. I am looking to add the Navigation system. what did you do for your car??
    Jim
  • dicke4dicke4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '06 G3 Coupe with navigation, etc. Recently while on a trip I needed to find a hospital in an area 400 miles from home. Imagine my surprise upon finding out that the nav system does not consider hospitals as points of interest or a searchable item. BTW, E911 was of no help in locating a hospital either, but they did send an ambulance.
  • alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    I've said for some time that the nav system needs to have a dedicated button with a red and white cross on it that will find the nearest hospital and/or ER, and give you instant directions and a pop-up to dial its phone number.

Eventually one of these car companies will figure out that they need to partner with Google to provide this type of info...maybe one of them is already doing it?
  • pzanecchiapzanecchia Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 G35 and the Nav started going on/off without any consistent explanation. Been like this for 18 months. I once took out the Nav and took a look at things internally but decided to leave it be. It then worked consistently for 2 months but went back to its old ways of working and not working and remains an enigma. Its off more than on. Curious to see if anyone found the root cause.
  • skiprayskipray Member Posts: 1
    There are two pieces of info on this.
    1) The motor does not recognize it is all the way up.
    You can trick it by pushing down about a half inch when it is about 1/3 of the way up, it may take you a few tries to get the hang of it. Eventually it works - free "fix"
    2. Infiniti issued a service bulletin

Classification:EL07-004
    Reference :ITB07-021
    Date: May 24, 2007
    APPLIED VEHICLE: 2005-2006 G35 (V35)
    APPLIED VIN(S):
    Vehicles built before JNKCV51E(*)6M516358
    JNKCV51F(*)6M612147
    JNKCV54E(*)6M712927
    Vehicles built before: March 1, 2006
    IF YOU CONFIRM
    2005-2006 G35; NAVI DISPLAY UNIT WILL NOT RISE / LOWER / STAY UP

If you need the whole bulletin contact me thru here for email return or just contact Infiniti
  • galesgales Member Posts: 1
    Hey... just checking if anyone had any suggestions regarding the Navigation not powering up. I have a 2001 Q45. I can hear the disk however, the display not coming on really makes it hard to adjust the AC.

Any help?