Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Navigation System

Comments

• Options
    gsportgsport Member Posts: 4
    well yea but think about minder system mpg and dvd player that you can convert later on dvd unit goes into glove box thats why i wanna do it so anyone have ever done that?
  • Options
    cj2000cj2000 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 07, G35X with Navi and premium package. I have to say the Navigation system sucks compare to my portable Garman c330. It can't find most of the destinations near DC/Virginia/Maryland.
    I wonder if I need to upgrade the map or does anyone experience the similar problem?

Thanks
  • Options
    cj2000cj2000 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 07, G35X with Navi and premium package. I have to say the Navigation system sucks compare to my portable Garman c330. It can't find most of the destinations near DC/Virginia/Maryland.
    I wonder if I need to upgrade the map or does anyone experience the similar problem?

Thanks
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Anybody know who the manufacturer is for the Navigation unit for the G35?
  • Options
    mrg2mrg2 Member Posts: 29
    I have an O7 G35 with Nav and XM real time traffic. I've never been able to tell it to reroute successfully. It always says something like "unable to reroute based on current information" or something like that, even though I know that there are other routes available. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Also, have people seen the problem of not getting the traffic incident description to scroll down? Sometimes the "scroll" button appears and sometimes it doesn't.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I think the scroll is disabled while rolling forward and only enabled when at a stop
  • Options
    yaeger1yaeger1 Member Posts: 10
    I think the reason it keeps saying that is the route is dynamic and the current route will be considered the "fastest."

I get messages sometimes that an incident has occurred and asks me if I want to accept a different route. If you pick a destination navi will draw out a route for you. Under the Start option, there is an alt route option where you can choose between fastest, shortest, and min hwy. There is also a "Detour" option where you can choose how many miles of detour you like. Finally, if you want to edit your route, you can do so in the edit route option and pick various waypoints to create your own route.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    yaeger1yaeger1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I'm almost sure this affects all Infiniti navis in S. Cali but have you noticed there is no traffic information on the east/west bound 10fwy between 405 and the 110? This is my daily commute route and its very frustrating not to get information.

1. Called XM Traffic and supposedly they have traffic info for that stretch.

2. Looked at Navtech's website and they have traffic info for that stretch.

3. Went to the infiniti dealer and checked out other 07 models including G35 and QX56 and they didnt have traffic info.

Does anyone else have a problem with this??
  • Options
    dohturdimadohturdima Member Posts: 14
    I bought a G35x a few weeks ago without a GPS option for the following reason(s). I drove my friends' FX35 with the stock GPS and did not like the thing - primarily due to the lack of touch screen and unfriendly interface. Some may argue that screen should not be touched when the car is moving, but I find that inability to enter info on the screen is a major drawback - and cannot stand using the nav wheel to enter addresses. My Treo's TomTom coupled with a portable GPS receiver is much more user friendly and easier to operate + had a better interface. But the Nuvi 680 is an amazing unit that eats both of them for lunch - with MSN Direct real time traffic updates + gas prices (these two I find most useful), portability (can take it out of the car and walk with it in unfamiliar locations), upgradeability (can upgrade to European maps!) and a price tag that is significantly less (I paid $533 total) than the Infiniti stock GPS I am really happy with my choice. It is also pretty unobtrusive and easily mountable/dismountable on the dash - a few seconds it takes to take it out of the armrest bin are more than made up for by its qualities mentioned above. :D What is mindboggling is that Infiniti could not team up with an established GPS manufacturer (Garmin, Magellan or whoever makes TomTom) and instead charges an outrageous option fee for a significantly inferior product. What is even stranger is that most seem to opt for the Nav anyway. :confuse:
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's made by Xanavi. They supply navigation systems to nissan and infiniti.
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    I don't recall ever having a problem with that area, but I don't drive it that often so I can't say for sure. I'll check tonight on my way home and report if I have the same issue. I do notice that there isn't any traffic info for the 210 around the 5 FWY....but then again there never seems to be much traffic on that stretch anyway ;)
  • Options
    drmail3000drmail3000 Member Posts: 5
    my Navi moves out after I press the button but slides back after 2 sec. Not all the times but 7 out of 10 times. I believe it stays out only when the Temperature is not to hot.
    Somebody broke into my car (driver door handle was opened) 3 month ago. Don't know if it has to do with Navi malfunction.
    HAS ANYBODY AN IDEA WHY ???
  • Options
    Can we assume that you have a model built prior to 07?
    I think you may be referring to the retracting screen in the pre-07 redesign. :confuse:
  • Options
    hortiehortie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 03 g35 and have the same Issue's does anyone know why sometime's it come's on and sometimes it doesn't.
  • Options
    drmail3000drmail3000 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I have a 2006 G35x . Do you have an idea WHY my Navi screen moves automatically back after 1 second???
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    On a recent trip to Ames, Iowa, we got to about 2-miles from our destination (a home). The NAV Guidance system informed that there is insufficient data regarding the remainder of the route, therefore voice guidance was being de-activated. What I found odd was that the display map still showed the highlighted path all the way to the house. It did change though from a yellow guidance route indicator to a bluish colored route indicator.

If the map still can show me the completed route, why can't the voice guidance system continue working?
  • Options
    theshawntheshawn Member Posts: 30
    I bought the 07 G35x back in January, I got the Nav. Then was away in a new city for many months with our van and bought a Magellan from Costco for $220. It's not perfect, but it seems much better than the Infiniti GPS. I still hate the look of random devices stuck to the windshield (GPS, XM reciever, air freshner) - the other benefits are marginally worth it if you hate having things hang. I agree with dohturdima, no idea why they can't team with portable GPS makers and get a good system with good waypoints - which stink in the G.
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    The answer to your question is somewhat technical. Basically, the problem is that even though you can see the map visually, the underlying data needed for turn-by-turn guidance is not available. It's a map data coverage issue. See http://navteq-connections.de/products/index.jsp?cid=91 for a brief explanation of the kind of map data that exists. Most likely you got out a couple miles outside of the detailed coverage area.
  • Options
    serfer1serfer1 Member Posts: 2
    For some reason my '08 G35 NAV doesn't show traffic flow (I do have a sub) from my commute from Westchester County to Stamford via I-95. I have a colleague who has a Lexus ES350 and his NAV shows the traffic flow on the same commute. The only time the flow shows on my map is when I get closer into NYC or Long Island. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts? All settings are to show traffic info and it shows I am receiving traffic info.
  • Options
    johndoesyjohndoesy Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a new 2008 g35x with tech, nav and prem packages. The navigation system keeps turning the map while i'm driving or sitting in traffic in one location. Sometimes, it will turn the map so much that it shows my position as perpendicular to the road that i'm on and thinks i'm travelling off road. after a few minutes it places me back on the road in the correct direction, but will begin to turn again. this happens repeatedly and i was wondering if this is normal, or whether something is wrong. is there a simple way to reset the navigation or have it check my location that might fix this, or is it a dealer fix issue?
  • Options
    carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The map in my 2006 Coupe doesn't turn like you describe. There is a selection you make for the state/region you are in. For it to move while you are stationary is really weird.
    Have you put in a destination to see if that would make it settle down? Did you remove the disc and reinsert it?
  • Options
    When I plug in a destination, the system works, in the sense that it maps and directs me correctly, but the turning continues. I have not tried to remove the disc? How do I do that? Will it cause any other problems?
  • Options
    art007art007 Member Posts: 3
    The Nav in my 2008 G35x doesn't do what you describe. I've never seen it 'spin'. Did you set the Nav for your region?

I'd be visiting my dealer...

FYI, I paid a little under Dealer Cost at Competition Infinity in Saint James, NY - on Long Island. No "special discount," just the price they quoted via email.
  • Options
    I'll have to check whether it was set to my region. I hope that's all it is. It is really frustrating to have a problem like this with a brand new car. Especially after coming from a Honda with a great navigation system. I'll send an update after I talk to the dealer next week. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
  • Options
    shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    Mine doesn't do that either. It sounds like an issue with the GPS receiver possibly? I'd have the dealer check it out.

kc
  • Options
    It's either an issue with your navi, or you could be in an area that the system doesn't recognize.
    I was in back woods NH a few months ago and was on a road not shown on the map. The map kept blipping left and right looking to figure out my location until I got onto a main road, then all was fine again.

If this is only happening in a particular part of town, that's one thing.
    If it happens more often, it's an issue with your system and I'd let the dealer know.

Our 06 MDX drops "breadcrumb" dots on the screen when we go into an area where a road is not recognized.
    It may not know where I'm going, but it'll tell me how to get back when I'm done getting there. LOL

I've never had the spinning map issue in my 07. Sorry :confuse:
  • Options
    tcmdotcmdo Member Posts: 6
    I realize it is a safety feature, but anyone know of how to disable the grey out of menus when driving?
  • Options
    adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    There is no 'easy' way to do this. KP Technologies has a module / mod that will do this though. It's for the 03-06 G35s. They have an 07 version in development but it's not released yet.

My understanding is that this module will NOT allow you to watch videos on the nav screen while driving, but will auto-bypass the Nav OK at startup and reenable grayed out menus / allow scrolling past the first screen while in motion. It also requires a fair amount of knowledge to install.
  • Options
    I tried to connect my 80gb ipod video to the aux port in park with the emergency brake on, but i get only sound, no video. Any ideas? It it a cord that plugs into the headphone jack and splits to the yellow/red/white a/v plugs. When I switch the ipod settings to output to TV, it prompts me to connect a cable to the universal port on the bottom of the ipod. Thanks.
  • Options
    thanks. you're right, that may be too technical for me to pull off. oh well, thatnk anyway.
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    does the nav system speak street names?
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Yes, major streets.
    Z
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    is this most streets or some? garmin seems to speak every street name. i belive lexus does highways mostly
  • Options
    Some. Garmin does recite pretty much all - the Infiniti unit is not Garmin. My ES350 speaks none. Personally I think it's a pretty ok unit but I'm not that hung up on street names; many posters think the unit sucks and would prefer a Garmin. Personally (again), I think aftermarket units hung on windshields in $40K is pretty cheesy, like you couldn't afford the GPS option when you bought the car.
    Z
  • Options
    There's a coverage map on Zenrin's website. Find your NAV version and compare it to the coverage map. Areas in Red have full coverage, even for residential. Areas in blue may not have town or residential streets. Areas in tan only have highways and freeways.
  • Options
    jeffwilsonjeffwilson Member Posts: 45
    Does Zenrin still do the Nav system for the 2008 G35x? I went to their website and it looks like the last year that they did the G35 was 2006. Thanks!
  • Options
    My understanding is that yes, they do. They did the 2007 too and it's not on their website either. My guess is that this is because they have YET to release an update for the 2007s.
  • Options
    I think another reason might be that for the 2008 (and i think 2007) model year, the nav system is now hard drive based, instead of DVD so they won's have an update DVD for a hard drive based system.
  • Options
    I spoke with Zenrin / Infiniti Customer affairs again last night. The hold up is with Nissan North America for udpates at this point. Zenrin has the updated maps but NNA had some issues with the method of transfer that's holding things up.

If you're as annoyed as I am at the delays on the updates for 07s, go to http://www.infiniti.com/iapps/contactus and use the 800# you'll find there to call Infiniti. Do NOT use the option for Navigation issues. Instead use the option for general issues.
  • Options
    Zenrin is still the company.
    The reason that the 07/08 models are not listed is because the update is on hold.

Last I heard, some owners were quoted $695 for the 07 update and most complained to Infiniti.
    The update was pulled and things are being worked on behind the scenes between Zenrin and Infiniti.

There's a lot of questions being flown around, like what the upgrade may include, considering the cost.

We're waiting to see what happens, and what this final upgrade cost will be.
  • Options
    I'm just passing on the info from the conference call I had with Infiniti Consumer Affairs AND Zenrin customer service last night (I had one person from ICA and two from Zenrin on the phone). ICA setup the conference for what it's worth.

It was fairly clear from that conversation that the problem was Infiniti / Nissan North America and that it was caused by an issue with the way the update had to be done. I was quoted the standard $190 by the way, not $695, by the Zenrin guy. Of course, he doesn't have the final say, but his description of the method was:
    "You pay your $190 to Zenrin to receive an update code. The code is matched to your VIN. You take that code to the dealership, who performs the update. "

Anyway, you can call in with the VIN of an 07 yourself and find out. Just make sure they go the whole way to do the research. I'd pass on the specifics of the person I talked too, but she asked me not to since she didn't want to be the ONLY one getting flooded with calls on the subject. Zenrin front-line support doesn't have the answer so that's why I suggested going (like I did) to Infiniti's Consumer Affairs.
  • Options
    Well, at least they're heading in the right direction.
    The $695 that people were hearing was months ago.
    $190 is a lot easier to swallow.

Any idea what the $190 is getting us?
    Is it just a map update, or is there any additional functionality?

Back when it was $695, some were guessing the update would include things like live gas pricing and the removal of some of the rediculous lockouts when moving.
    There really is no reason why I cannot scroll through listed locations while moving.
  • Options
    The menu scrolling limitation is a choice by NNA and has nothing to do with Zenrin unfortunately. We have to complain to Infiniti / NNA if we want that changed. Same for the silly grayed out menus. Why can I scroll through my phone book while driving but only see 4 nearby restaraunts, etc.

My understanding on the $190 is that it's simply the map update to 7.3 (or .4 if it comes out before NNA finalizes the process). It's a bit of a bummer too since you're actually only getting a software key / download code type of thing. The dealership will be the only one who actually has the media / method to update the maps. On the other hand, this might mean some people will be able to get it from their dealership for free, so maybe not such a bad thing after all...

Still, I'm really annoyed (if you couldn't tell) at the situation and delays. Mainly because the three cities I travel in most frequently all have horribly inaccurate maps for the areas in those cities that I travel (Houston, Dallas, Austin TX).
  • Options
    And it's most likely a very quick and easy update through the compact flash slot.
    My dealer is over an hour away. It would be great if I could just download it at home and update the system myself, but I know what they are thinking.
    They don't want me sharing the update with you and splitting the cost.
  • Options
    Exactly my thoughts on why it's dealer-only updates. Pretty lame, although sound business I suppose. I guess when it's finally released we'll know how it's done and then wether or not it can be duplicated without a dealership.

Still, I wish more people would complain to Infiniti about the delays and the fact that it requires dealership interaction.
  • Options
    Fyi, Lexus updates are the same way - you have to go to the dealership to get it and $190 at Infiniti is a bargain compared to what it costs at Lexus. Do you really think it's going to be easier and a steal for anything when you pay $35K+ for a car??
    Z
  • Options
    rag133rag133 Member Posts: 25
    Is there any update coming allowing you to use the NAV while driving? I just got my G35 a month ago and this is awful. I travel with my wife and she usually runs the NAV, but there is no way to scroll or do much while driving. My NUVI did this fine and cost $200. If I want a restaurant, are we supposed to stop on the side of the road somwhere to search? With 2 people in the car this is rediculous. There should be a toggle like with the seatbelt that recognizes someone else in the car and allows a bypass of the NAV/Music Box limitations while driving.
  • Options
    Not from Infiniti, but yes, there is a solution coming for the lockouts.
    I don't have the info on hand but have it at home.
    There is a fix coming which will require a little work inside the center stack and a little soldering, but once complete, the legal agreement upon startup as well as all lockouts will be disabled.
    I'm on it as soon as it's available and will post details when I can
  • Options
    gasnetgasnet Member Posts: 49
    Just purchased a g35x Sport. Do you like the car ? Is the navi totally useless or just annoying.What about Music Box while driving. I'm having second thoughts.
  • Options
    I find none of it annoying and I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase, even 1 year later.
    Yeah, some things could be enabled while driving, but I have a work-around for that anyway...

So far, that car has met all of my expectations. :D