Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Tires/Wheels

lcd2112lcd2112 Member Posts: 2
I have been leasing an '05 Pontiac G6 since 11/04. At 20,000 I need to replace my tires. This seems unreasonable to me. Does anyone have any feedback they can offer? OR can you share your experiences with a short tire life (I've read a few other complaints about this)?

Thank you,
Colleen

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Waht was the reason for the wear?

Were they worn out evenly or were the outsides worn out more or the insides or one side more than the other?

Which tires did you have?

If all tires were worn evenly the cause is probably a high performance sticky tire compound that gives up wear life for handling performance.

If the centers were worn out more than the outside then over inflation and under inflation if the outsides worn more than the insides.

If uneven wear then a possible suspension problem.
  • lcd2112lcd2112 Member Posts: 2
    What was the reason for the wear?
    Not sure how to answer this.

Were they worn out evenly or were the outsides worn out more or the insides or one side more than the other?
    They are worn evenly (front tires and back tires).

Which tires did you have?
    Continental (the ones that came with the car?)

So, in your opinion, is replacing my tires reasonable?

Thank you,
    Colleen
    20,000 is low mileage for wear out. Since they wore evenly across the tires the tires were inflated properly. Sounds like the suspensioin was also OK.

Which tires are the Continentals? If they are the performance summer only 18's then wearout would happen faster than the others but 20,000 is still low. Since there was nothing wrong with the car the tires must have a very sticky compound. Most you can do is go to a Contintental store since, I believe, they warrant the tires. Sounds like the car was not the problem.
  • rdutcherrdutcher Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue and I think it's unreasonable for tires to last only 20,000 miles, 17,350 in my case. The tires are the original Continental P225 50 R17 93V tires and they're not cheap to replace. I rotated the tires twice and the wear is even. I'm told you must have the V rated (149 mph) tires because of the suspension. Is this true? There are H rated tires in this size and they're much cheaper and last longer.
    V rated tires are only needed if you are runing at high speeds over 130 mph. So unless you are racing, H's will be fine.

Any tire you pick will effect the ride and handling in different ways. Most likely the tires you had were chosen and developed for handling which meant they had a sticky rubber compound. This sticky rubber will wear faster but gives you better grip/handling. So if you do downgrade to H expect a little less handling, a bit more comfort and more life.
  • sseiman1sseiman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I own a 05 G6 GT, with the 17" Continental V speed rated tires also. I have 16,500 miles on my car, and my tires are not even 3/4 worn. I attribute that to my rotate theory. I believe the tire rotation frequency in the owners manual is not accurate. I believe the info is outdated, numbers used for the old 70,000 mile tires of the 80's. I like to rotate my tires every 2 oil changes (6000.00 miles). I am a once ASE certified auto tech, and I know a little bit about tires, since I've been certified in steering and suspension. I don't subscribe to the oil change frequency either. I've owned Oldsmobile's, and Pontiac's exclusively since I've been driving, and have never had ANY engine problems, or premature tire wear.

Secondly, I am always amused when car owners are not aware of the components on their vehicle. With regards to the price of the 17" Contenental's. Every tire has a size, and a speed rating embossed in the sidewall, along with a treadwear rating, temperature rating, and tire ply construction. If you take all of this info into a respectable tire dealer, and price the perspective tires, you can logically deduce the amount of tire cost maintenence. This procedure also works with other maintenence items (filters, belts, hoses, brake linings), anything that is DESIGNED to wear. Just some FYI!! Try Tirerack.com on those expensive speed rated, low profiles. I had a disgruntled co-worker line my path home with nails, and had to replace a tire. Discount Tires wanted $250.00 a tire, but Tirerack had them for $130.00. Guess where I bought 'em!!!!

I LOVE my G6 GT!! The only issue I have with mine was a noisy sunroof. Not wind noise, but self loosening attachment bolts. After 2 trips to my local dealer, I finally got the Service Manager involved. He informed his trim "tech" about Loctite thread locker, and my 3rd trip has seemingly corrected this problem. I mention this because I searched this forum, and the web, and saw that NO ONE has experienced my sunroof problem. Anyway, happy $3.00 a gallon motoring people!!! :shades:
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115593

BTW, it seems the G6 is least likely of all cars to roll over. Hey, i guesss they really do mean sport, since a performance car is not supposed to be prone to rollovers.

I had a disgruntled co-worker line my path home with nails, and had to replace a tire.

OMG, i hope he is in jail for attemped murder, b/c thats what he/she did!

I saw 2 G6's in my neighberhood today, both red sedans, one was a GTP and the other a justpurchased 4cyl. Man, it looked like the GTP was in another class of car! Good diversification i guess. GM needs to ofer the base models with leather, and meybe some better wheels.
  • donsco1992donsco1992 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with 19,800 miles and Uniroyal Tigr Paw tires. The suspension will jerk you sideways over bumps and the car seems to start to loose traction at aound 55mph. The steering seems loose and the car seems to float over the set of railroad tracks I have to cross.When I stop at a fast food place in the morning, after ordering when I turn left around the building, one of my front tires squeal.I am hardly moving! What could be wrong?Thanks
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Suspect the tires are about worn out and a possible alignment problem. However, you need to get it to the dealer or a tire shop immediately. Jerking sideways has me puzzled. Good luck!
  • donsco1992donsco1992 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    The jerking sideways over bumps is basically the same as when you take a stopped car and at one corner, you rock the car sideways. I assume this jerking sensation over bumps, could be the sidewalls of the tires but I want an expert opinion. I called the dealer who replaced the steering gear about the problems,and the service rep got kind of defensive. I had the alignment checked before the steering gear was replaced and everything was within limits.I am going to have the wheels balanced and the tires checked. They have plenty of tread on them yet.I also get a vibration starting at around 65mph. When going over the railroad tracks, maybe a better way to describe the sensation, is that the car feels as if it kinda floats over them.Please let me know if you have any more thoughts. Thanks
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Sorry... I have nothing to add. I wouldn't consider myself an expert either. Take it to a professional and please share with us.
  • lwoodardlwoodard Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Pontiac G6 for 2 years now and I am on my 3rd set of tires. And I must say that these are not cheap tires! Also, I have had my steering column replaced! This car has not been the car I hoped it would be. It has been VERY expensive to maintain and the steering column thing, $650.00 to replace the computer. It pops and make noises like an older Chevy Chevette or something. The only good thing I have found about it is it looks good. But you know, it's like mt mom always told me, looks are only skin deep. Has anyone else had trouble with the steering column?
  • californiamikecaliforniamike Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Have had my 05 G6 for almost 3 years now and have 58,000 miles on it. Original tires lasted 50,000. Am writing you because of your comment regarding the steering column. My G6 started making a noise coming from the steering column or front wheels recently. Sounds like two metal objects that are in a bind and then release when the steering wheel is turned. Hard to describe the sound, but "cracking" might be appropriate. May be the same thing as your "poping" description. Am taking it to the pontiac dealer tomorrow. Any thoughts on your end?
  • sensationalsensational Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same steering column issue that you are describing with my 2006 G6. I have the 4-cyl version and it has very, very poor fuel economy. My drivers side mirror in the visor, the hinges no longer work, the remote start usually stalls instead of starting the car, the cd's in the cd player fail often. I am very disappointed in this car. I really, really wanted to like it, but I already want to sell it.

S.
  • skimikeskimike Member Posts: 1
    I logged on today to see how prevalent the stearing column issue is. I thought it was just part of the car. Another G6 owner stopped me in the parking garage this morning to see if my stearing column made the popping sound. She also indicated most every G6 owner she talked to has the same problem. Does anyone know if this is dangerous?
  • ozzy63ozzy63 Member Posts: 2
    GM has a service bulletin on this. The first course of action is to re-align and tighten intermediate steering shaft but that will only last for about 4 months. The next thing is for replacement of the rack and pinion assembly which will be done under warranty if you caught it on time or if you have extended warranty plan. My advice is have the dealer replace the rack and pinion the first time. I just went through this on our 05 G6 GT. The only other problem I've had was the drivers seat was "creaking" when my 200 lbs drove the car. Had dealer replace the seat frame and this was fixed.
  • bxgirlnscbxgirlnsc Member Posts: 12
    OMG! I can not believe what I am seeing. I have been trying to find out what is wrong with my 2006 G6 GT for a year now. The dealers kept telling me there was nothing and I needed to change my tire which I did after 40000miles at $125ea. I continue to hear this grinding sound (not a lot) like metal on metal rubbing breifly. But I also hear this sound as I drive like a gear shift not changing but it is not the gear. I guess I would describe it as a roaring sound as I drive from the right drivers side. Is that from the rack and pinnon? Is that a manufactors defect like the visors? My warranty has expired!
  • adsfrommsadsfromms Member Posts: 1
    Until this past Monday, I thought my '06 G6 was the only one with a problem. While getting my oil changed, another owner came in to the waiting room and asked who had the G6. When I spoke up she asked how many times my steering column had been replaced. I had my steering gear replaced in January 07 and the shaft replaced in July. She was on her 3rd assembly. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
  • iran10iran10 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2007 G6 for 13 months and i have to replace the tires after only 13,800 miles! I'm really upset and disappointed because the after-market tires i bought the car with are not covered in the warranty. The dealer wants me to shell out $250 for each tire. **sigh**
  • bxgirlnscbxgirlnsc Member Posts: 12
    $250 is high! WoW! I bought new Michellin tire for $125ea. Look around at your local tire places and maybe not at the dealer.
  • neon_blue_g6neon_blue_g6 Member Posts: 3
    Just wanting to let everyone know, about 3 months ago, my car was wearing the standard tires (Uniroyal Tigerpaw) and i was travelling along I-10 while wet and when i tapped the brake, my car pivoted on the two front wheels and did a complete 360. Seeing that there are many posts regarding complaints of the tires, i will let yall know that i purchased a set of Falken performance tires, specifically the Falken Ziex ZE-329, and they are WONDERFUL. No more tire squeal while taking turns at anything less 45 mph.
  • superclaysuperclay Member Posts: 1
    Well, I bought new tires as well for my g6 at 18,000 miles. I replace them with michelin mx4 all sesonal. expensive but a great tire and tread. I feel the same as everyone else, I should have not of paid for new tires and breaks. :sick:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that would chrome plate plastic. I have 08 G6 that has plastic wheel covers, but they look like real rims, and have the spokes, and they are not the ones on the base model G6. I want them chromed. I have seen similar rims chromed, so where would I need to go. how much $$?
  • lnclnc Member Posts: 1
    I also just had to have my intermediate drive shaft replaced. AND also have a terribly squeaky seat. I've haven't told the dealer about the seat because I thought they would just laugh at me. It only really squeaks when I drive, it is quiet when my husband drives because he puts more weight down on the seat. So if they even test drive, they won't hear it. Was replacing the seat frame covered under warranty?? Please let me know. I've only had my car for two years and the squeak is really irritating me!!! Thanks!!!
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Gain some weight, lol.
  • pick123pick123 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Pontiac G6 and UNFORTUNATELY I got stuck with this brand of tire when I purchased my car. The tires wore down extremely quickly. Their representative (in his ever-so-reading-off-the-paper) voice, told me they care about their customers but there was nothing he would do for me and blamed their tire problem on my mechanic saying he didn't rotate my tires. My word of advice is to check the brand of tires and make sure it is NEVER Hankook when you purchase a car.
    My 09 has Hankook tires, they are performance tires, soft rubber for cornering. Will wear out fast, I priced mine online for $118 each, not a cheap tire.
    So the stock tires put on the car is not a bad tire? My only nip pick is that I tend to want more air in them, because I prefer a more solid ride. I prefer to put in about 33 instead of 30. Though the dealer stated that it will wear in the middle more, that was when I had it at 35, so I lowered it. 30 seems a bit slushy sometimes.

At 25,000miles, they still look like new. Though I always have tire shine on them, rotate them often.

It looks like they now use Firestone. Are they better you think?
    I run mine 32 psi, like the dic air pressure reading, keeps me on my toes. They are the best tires I have ever gotten on a new car.
    Rotating often will give you good service from the tires. The rotate will even out the wear, the front scrubs the outside in a turn, I have noticed I take turns faster because of the solid feel.
    I don't know anything about the Firestone, they did have problems a while back. When I put on replacement tires, I always use Michelin , in a rut.
    My 06 Accord has Michelins on it. They were also good wearing tires. Rotated them often. When I leased the car, I had never heard of the tire. So that is good, Pontiac actually put on a good tire on the car. The G6 does pretty good in the snow, and the fact the car has traction control and notifies me when it is slipping. I don't always notice right away. But, with that said. I had no clue the wheels were actually wheel covers!! 5 spoke wheel covers. They look like real rims though. I did request to have real rims put on, but the dealer was not eager to do so. Now, I am not to bummed out about it. But, I was. Actually, a week later after leasing, I took a corner to close and scratched the back wheel. At least I can replace it for about $40, and not a couple hundred on a real rim.
    My Accord had real Alloy rims. Oh well, I am over it. At least they look really good though. With a little tire shine, and no one will ever tell they are not real rims. No one has ever said anything. Looks good! But, a disappointment for GM. Just like most new Malibu's. 80% are the fancy wheel covers!!! Even their chromed ones. Seriously?

Now with snow and salt, my car is itching for a big bath!! It bugs me!
    I never liked alloys, to expensive to replace. The Malibu I had came with alloy wheels, did a little damage to one, not enough to need replacement , just looks.
    When I test drove my G6 is when I noticed the 5 spoke steel, told to salesman GM almost had me fooled, didn't know 5 spoke steel were out.
  • blackgtblackgt Member Posts: 3
    ozzy63

Check the seat belt. My G6 was doing the same thing and no GM tech could fine the problem.
  • 1viper1viper Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 G6 with 40,000 miles on it. Just bought it from a dealer. Noticed when making a right hand turn, ther is a vibration in the steering wheel. Thoughts? Thanks!
    Typical when I test drove a few models. I was only feeling out the engine in comparison to my 08 4cyl. One had a vibration issue. I would have chosen a different car altogether. Luckily, you bought it used, you didn't get hit with depreciation too bad. Not to make you feel bad about your purchase, but in terms of comparison to other cars, its very dated and quality is lacking. The G6 tends to have silly things break on you. GM, simply had a great concept, but the delivery was only half.

You still under warranty?
  • g6owner1g6owner1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my G6 brand new 13 months ago. I was informed by the dealer last weekend that I need 4 new tires. They showed me the tires and they are extremely worn. They are firestone tires. I am now searching for an inexpensive replacement. Any suggestions? Do any of you know anything about Kelly Charger GT tires? It looks like I can 4 of them mounted and balanced, with free rotation for the life of the tire every 5,000 miles for $494.00.
  • vgilhulavgilhula Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 G6 is my fourth car. I never had a flat and got new tires after 100,000 kilometres before.
    I have 45,000 kilometres on my G6 and I have replaced three tires, one tire had less than a 1,000 kilometres on it, Today I got another flat. I think they are uniroyal, help, any advice. I believe there is something very wrong with G6 tires.
    edited January 2012
    The OEM usually puts cheap tires on lower end vehicles. My 09 G6 came with Hankook performance tires, oddly enough it's a basic 4 cylinder, but with cool options. 31K miles and no problems.
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    My 2008 G6 came with the Hankook tire also. I purchased the car used in 2009 with 19,000 mi (30,500 km). I now have 73,000 mi (117,400 km) on it with the same tires. I have them rotated at every oil change. I have been changing the oil based on the Oil Life Monitoring System notification averaging 9700 mi (15,600 km) and 5 months between changes. I always have them perform the Maintenance II items. I don't baby this car, but I also don't dog it since Atlanta traffic and an 80 mi round trip commute are enough torture.