Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    Back in 1999 I purchased a new 4x4 Eddie Bauer Expedition and have had numerous problems through 60K miles. I had two new transmissions installed, two seperate issues with the coils(?) that required an immediate trip to a dealer for repair, possessed windshield wipers and two new compass units.

This was the first American car I have ever owned and have to say I am extremely turned off. I have owned four Honda's (Civic-135K miles, Civic-75K miles, Accord-145K miles, Accord-75K miles) and one Toyota 4Runner (120K-miles) of which none had any problems. When I say they had no problems I mean exactly that. NO PROBLEMS! Come to think of it, I never took them in for 15K, 30K, 45K, 60K, etc. scheduled maintenances. Outside of replacing oil, oil filters, brakes and tires there was nothing else to it.

Was I just lucky with my Honda/Toyota ownerships or just unlucky with the Ford ownership? Who knows... All I know if that this latest experience with our Ford leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

We are now looking at the 2002 Toyota Sequoia for our next SUV. I think Ford may lost a customer for good...
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I just bought a 1999 Ford Expedition from relatives of mine. They sold it because they no longer needed it and it has been flawless for all 60,000 miles. I love this vehicle more than my previouse 1998 Expedition. Only one problem. Driver side heated seat doesn't work:-( I will be getting the coolant flushed and the transmition fluid changed shortly. Very Happy with this purchase.
  • lanemlanem Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know the price range for the upcoming 2003 Expedition? Or where I can find it? I've read all the reviews, but still don't have a feel for the money. Also, what are you present Expedition owners' thoughts - do the improvements sound significant? I'm looking for my first Expedition and don't know whether to wait for 2003 or find a much less expensive used Expedition. Thanks for all input.
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<A thunk from under the dash when the HVAC is turned on/off.>>
    When you turn the A/C off, the air inlet door changes position to block entry of outside air. When you turn it on, it moves to allow entry of outside air. The thunk is probably the door striking the sealing surface on each end of travel. It is normal.
  • metallica01metallica01 Member Posts: 8
    LANEM, THE 2003 FORD EXPEDITION WILL BE PRICED FROM $33,570-$47,655. THEY GOT ALOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THEY WERE. PERSONALLY I WOULD GET THE 2000 2002 MODELS AS I LIKE THEM BETTER. IN ADDITION I WOULD GET THEM WORK OUT THE BUGS BEFORE PURCHASING ONE OF THE 2003. IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE 2003 IT BASICALLY LOOKS LIKE A GIANT EXPLORER WITH EXPEDITION FEATURES, ITS NICE BUT NOT TO MY LIKING. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASE.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    while I am not up on all the changes, one BIG change, same as the Explorer, is the new independent rear suspension...I do not know whether you value that or not, but I would consider a major redesign in suspension something notable...also, if they redesign the rear window like the Explorer, the window will open lower, making it easier to put groceries and such thru the rear window...
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    Bought my '99 in August of that year. I have the 4.6L and so far no problems with 29,000 on the odometer. This is truly a comfortable truck.
    My mileage is 16 city and 20fwy.
    BTW did ford add another muffler or baffle to the exhaust just before the tip? I see it on 2000 and later.
    ACTUALLY THE EXHAUST WAS CHANGED AND IT WAS CHANGED FOR 2000. WHAT YOU SEE IS THE CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS SYSTEM, IT LOWERS THE AMOUNT OF MONOXIDES AND HYDROCARBONS FORMED MAKING THE EXPY (LEV) LOW EMISSIONS VEHICLE. YOU CAN STILL GET THE REGULAR EXHAUST THOUGH.
  • giridgirid Member Posts: 19
    I am getting a 2002 brand-new EB 5.4V, with Rear TV/VCP for $29000+TTL (total discount of $10,700). Unbelievable, but at least 3 dealers have close to this price. I really am waiting for the 2003, does anyone know what they will go for? I am wondering if I should just settle for the 2002 version for that kind of price. Any thoughts?
  • jettug1jettug1 Member Posts: 8
    The ford dealer fixed my trans in about three days. Turns out that the accumilator went out causing the clutches to burn up. They rebuilt the tranny for $1800. I only had to pay half thank goodness. I had to take it back the next day because when you shifted into reverse the radio would turn off. hahaha. It took about 15 minutes to replace the shift sensor and the prob was fixed. Will have to admit they did a pretty good job. The trans if shifting better than it did new. If I have any trouble I will post.
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I am hoping to trade my minivan later this year on a new vehicle and was considering the Expedition. From what I am reading, it appears that Ford is sometimes partly paying for repairs after warranty, which is great! Has there been anyone who has experienced problems with their Expedition while it was under warranty where Ford refused warranty coverage for the repairs? I am trying to research this next purchase better than I did my last.
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    Blue Oval News has a link to Ford's media page, where 2003 Expy pricing has been announced. The XLT will be the same as the 2002, and the Eddie Bauer will increase $110.00. So the MSRP is essentially the same, but I wouldn't expect the deep incentives currently being offered on the 2002's.
    will be the discount on the 2003 model? Any ideas? I hope it is not more than 4 or 5K over the 29000 quoted for the 2002.
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    Pursuant to Media Ford. The MSRPs for the 2003 Expedition range from $31,295 to $41,935
  • jboudreau1jboudreau1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 2000 Exp Eddie Bauer and everything is good except for 2 things.
    1) When turning corners, there is a loud grinding sound like the 4WD is attempting to lock in. The truck is always set at AWD. This happens sporadically.

2) I hear a lot of wind noise coming from the passenger and driver side windows when going about 55-65.

Any thoughts on #1.
  • cristinamariacristinamaria Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2000 XLT 5.4 L 2 X 4 with 30,000 miles on it. The truck still has the original tires (Brand name: General) and which are in very good condition. The tires have plenty of thread and have been balanced and rotated in accordance to the maintenance schedule. The problem that we have is that, on wet pavement, the tires loose traction with ease and the truck skids violently to the sides. Could you please provide suggestions on how to solve the problem?
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    cristinamaria - I also have a 4X2, 2001 Expy with about 17000 miles on it. Experience same traction problems you have. Tires are Goodyear Wranglers. Have actually had difficulty getting out of a carwash due to tire spin. I think some of my problem was re-learning to drive a rear-wheel drive vehicle after many years of driving front-wheel drive vehicles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Expedition Essentials

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I'm not a dealer, and have no inside info on discounts. Based on past experience, I would guess the discounts depend on how soon you want an '03. If you plan to purchase in April or May, you will probably have to work to get any discount at all, depending on where you live. In Atlanta, you can get most domestic vehicles at or below invoice plus any available incentives. After the factory is cranking at full power and the dealers all have their initial inventories, you should probably be able to get close to invoice. Notice that Ford is already offering heavy incentives on the "all new" 02 Explorer. In short, if you can wait a few months for an '03, you'll probably save $$.
    I agree with you, but I hope I don't have to wait till Sept. or something, June or July is fine. Thanks for the input.
    Some readers have expressed a safety concern regarding third seat power fold down. A child in subject seat could become injured if rear control button for seat was inadvertently push. My recommendation for engineers is to have a weight sensor in the seat to disable operation. Readers point of view is welcome.
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    You may want to look at purchasing tires with an A rating for traction. I replaced the original tires on my 2001-xlt 4x4 from firestone ats to michelins ltx m/s and there is a world of difference. Just my opinion.
    When you say you can get a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with entertainment system for $29,000 plus TTL, are you speaking of the 4WD or 2WD? I just went to a Ford dealer today to se their specials and can get a EB 4WD loaded (with entertainment system) for $31,975 ($29,975 for 2WD). I just wanted to know if there was room for the dealer to discount even deeper.

Either way this is an incredible deal and would possibly swing me back into a new 2002 Ford Expedition (with extended warranty) over the Toyota Sequoia. Even with the extended warranty I am saving over $7,500 by going with a Ford Expedition over the Toyota Sequoia. Of course the residual of the Toyota at the end of our 6 years of ownership will be worth more than the Ford but doubt that it will make up all the $7,500 difference.

Decision, decisions, decisions...
    I live in San Diego, CA and travel to Mammoth Mountain with our familiy for skiing about 3-4 times each year. We currently have a 1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Ford Expedition which has handled great in the snow over the past few years.

I was wondering how the 2wd with limited slip will perform in the snow. I would rather not purchase the 4wd since this is the only time we will use it and weather in San Diego is hardly ever bad.

Questions:

1) Does anyone have first hand experience with a 2wd Expedition in the snow?

2) How did it handle?

3) Did you put tire chains on?

4) Do you need them for all four wheels?

5) How it they manage?

THANKS!!!
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    Have a 2 wheel drive Expy with limited slip. See my previous posts regarding tire slippage on wet pavement. Although handles fine in heavy rains, I get a lot of tire spin on damp pavement.

Had a little snow and ice this winter in Kansas. You can get around fine with the 2 wheel drive, but have to be careful of sliding and not accelerate to quickly or brake to hard.

I was never worried about getting stuck, but sliding through intersection, missing corners, etc. was a concern if I wasn't paying very close attention to speed and braking.

Hope this helps.
    It was for a 2WD. I am not going to even consider the Seqouia. It's either a 02 or and 03 Expy
  • renardorenardo Member Posts: 3
    I went to a few local dealers here today, and of course they want full invoice ($39K+) for any Expeditions they have left. Even dealer samples are that much.

Where are you guys finding loaded EB's for so cheap?? Is is possible to fly there and drive one back??

Thanks!
    Renardo, I agree with your comments on pricing of loaded EBs. Some price quotes posted we see are not realistic and there is an old saying in the vehicle purchase business. "A deal is not a deal until you leave the F&I office with FINAL sales contract and keys in your hand. With the 2003 Expy not being available until mid-year, dealers
    will only be realistic based on their floor plan inventory.
    Brand new 2002 Eddie Bauer 4WD Expedition for $31,975 including:

VCR Entertainment Package
    5.4L Engine
    3.74 Limited Slip
    Side Airbags

There are a few dealers in San Diego selling the Expeditions for this price. Makes you wonder what resale values will be for these...

My friend bought a 2001 XLT for $31,500 about 14 months ago. He wants one of the EB 4WD's selling at this low price and asked the dealer what he could get for a trade-in price on his 2001 XLT. The best the dealer could do was $18K. OUCH!!!!! That's $13,500 (43% depreciation) in one year!!!!! Think twice before jumping on these even at these low price deals...
    Renardo,

Not sure where you are located, but Atlanta has a nice airport, and there are at least 10 dealers here who would love to sell you an expedition at $100 over invoice less any incentives. If your dealers are asking MSRP, they're not living in the real world. You shouldn't have to go far to find a dealer that understands the reality of the market.

Heatmeiser,

While I agree that the depreciation has been stiff because of the redesign and the current incentives, I think your friend was lowballed in a big way. The guys that provide values on the Smart Shopper forum, 'Real World Trade In Values' discussion have said that used expeditions are still easy to move and relatively strong. If he really wants to trade, or feel better about the value of his ride, post a note over there requesting a value. Bill or Terry will be glad to tell him what they're selling for at auction and/or what he could expect on a retail sale.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Both Courtesy Ford and Phil Long Ford have been advertising 2001 EBs, loaded, for at least $10K off the MSRP. This has been going on for several months. Of course, you must qualify for the RCL and "new grad" discounts, which total about $1500. So figure a minimum of $8500 off MSRP if you don't qualify for those. This puts loaded EBs in the low $30Ks. Each dealer has at least 50 Expys to choose from.

We bought our 2001 EB for about $7500 off MSRP in Jan of 2001. Deals are MUCH better now.

I recently bought a new 2002 Ranger XLT, loaded with everything but the CD changer for $19.4K, which is about $2000+ BELOW invoice ($21.xK). MSRP was $24.6K, which already included $1650 discounts from Ford.

Dealers here in the Denver area are really hurting. The economy here has not even begun to recover, and every dealer, irrespective of brand, has tons of new vehicles clogging their lots.

Go to your library, or find a news stand that sells the Denver Post. The Friday papers are full of dealer ads. Or, look up Courtesy or Phil Wood on the web (both have sites) and make some phone calls. These deals are NOT advertised on the web.

peachtree: Dealers here don't use ANY of the "guides" (KBB, NADA, etc.) to determine the value of a used vehicle. They call their counterparts at dealerships selling your trade-in and ask: "What is a 199x (insert make) wholesaling for?" The answer is ALWAYS way, way below any of the guides. This REALLY screws the public.

Another local Ford dealer (I won't mention their name) makes 40% of its corporate PROFIT by low-balling trade-ins and then selling those same vehicles at wholesale to other dealers. Again, that's 40% of their PROFIT. Truly amazing!!!

Its a jungle out there.
    There are multiple dealers offering 10,000+ off of MSRP with the final price in a 29K to 30.5K range for the options HeatMiser1 mentioned. Why don't put your money where your mouth is and wager a bet with me on these prices. Then we'll know if the prices are realisctic. Tell me what odds you want.
    GIRID I did not doubt price listing of 2002 EB. I only ask for detailed info such as Rickc5 submits. GIRID provide a few names of your multiple dealers you referred to and perhaps a reader in your area can get a REALISTIC deal. My 2001 EB EXP ordered in Jan 01...delivery in Mar 01...similar to Rickc5 purchase. Rickc5 I follow your comments and you give some positive info. Keep on posting. GIRID if I put my money where my mouth was, you would have to fold your hand TRUST ME! Nothing personal!!! Our readers do not welcome personal attacks. Lets keep it positive,
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We do not appreciate personal attacks!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    I have a 4WD Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (5.4L) and am getting only 12-13 MPG. Is this typical? I have calculated the MPG manually since I know the displayed MPG on the console was incorrect (stated 14-15 MPG average).
    Asking you to wager is no more a personal attack than your saying some prices posted here are unrealistic. And, what do you mean by you didn't doubt the prices, you said they are not realistic, what does that mean? Sorry, Tidester didn't want ot make your job any tougher... Anyway, I know 2 friends who bought last weekend at the prices I mentioned. Go talk to Randall Noe Ford in Terell, Park Cities Ford in Dallas, Town East Ford in Mesquite or Prestige Ford in Garland, but Randall Noe is the best deal. Why don't you check em out yourself since you are so confident I will have to fold my hand. And yes, don't forget to post back when you see the prices are real, you won't have to eat crow, I promise. In Dallas, if one pays more than $30,500 for the features I mentioned, you are truly paying more than you need to.
  • renardorenardo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info GIRID! I have emailed everyone on your list for quotes and I will see what sort of deals they come back with! Might be flying to Dallas very soon!
    You're welcome Renardo, Better still, when you email them refer to their ads in the Saturday's (3/30) Dallas Morning News auto section. Here's the details -- Randall Now had $10700 off an MSRP of $39490, Town East Ford in Mesquite had $10,500 off MSRP ??, Park Cities Ford in Dallas had $10,600 off MSRP of $40,365, Bankston Ford in Frisco had $9037 off MSRP of $39,025. I am sure most of these deals have a EB 2002, 2WD, with 5.4 V8 and a TV?VCP package. I gotta rush now but will try to post more later. Let me know how it goes.....
    Watching CNBC this morning. A stock analyst put a "sell" rating on Ford stock, citing the increasing costs of producing the 2003 Expedition, without a corresponding price increase. Thus, Ford's margin's on one of its most profitable vehicles will be squeezed.

My conclusion, though again based only on my speculation, is that Ford will not rush to put incentives on the 2003 model, and may be forced into either 1) raising dealer invoices prices without increasing MSRP's, thus effectively reducing the dealer's ability to discount, or
    2) Having to have a mid-year price increase to boost margins or provide room for incentives.

Either way, it does look like there is reason to expect a 'real world' price difference between the 2002 and 2003.
  • pantherburnpantherburn Member Posts: 15
    Anyone have the scoop? I know that some may have placed an order - any firm delivery date? TIA
  • timmietrantimmietran Member Posts: 1
    Renardo, no doubt about that, 10 days ago I drove out Park Cities with 2002 EB 4.6 EXPI at $30177.03 that include TTL. Hope you get one, the milage computer is lousy, but other than that everything excellent, in city I got around 16 mpg, on highway maybe 21.4 mpg
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    why some people are waiting for the 2003 Expy. That thing is going to be ugly. Its just like a big exploder. We dont need another. There is no way to even make the new 2003 look good considering that modifications wont be enough. I like the 97-02 Expy so why does Ford have to ruin that for us. Its the same thing that happened in 99. Ford started putting the cheap front bumpers to save on expenses. I guess the 97-98 was to expensive with its chrome. I waited for the 99 F150s because I know that Ford styles them the same as Expys. I ended up buying a 98 F150 to go with my 97 Expy so I can still have a normal bumper. Whats up with Ford? And the 01 and 02s were also changed in a bad way. Have you guys seen the muffler. Its sticking out and is way to low. I know I wont be buying another Expy for a while. Maybe an Excursion would be a good idea.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    None of this would have ever happened if they just left the model T alone!!!
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    I have to agree, I own a 2001 expy xlt and I would love to have some of the improvements the new expy has but I cannot get over how the expy looks like an explorer. I don't like the look. I wished they would have left the expy looks alone.
  • cmitl138cmitl138 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 1998 ford expedition eddie bauer 5.4liter
    i heard of a problem with internal leak in the motor
    i also am having a problem with acceleration the truck shakes the check engine light blinks then goes off. the computer shows no codes for a problem. need some insight and if anybody else has had this problem cmitl138
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Sounds to me like you have a bad ignition coil pack. I to had this problem on a 1998 Expedition but I had the 4.6L engine. The engine would idle and run roughly. The check engine light came on and signaled a missfire. I am not sure if you are talking about the head gasket oil leak that affects some 5.4L engines but some claim that they smell a burning oil smell while having the heat on or window open when the problem surfaces. If you have this problem I have heard of people that have had Ford either replace the whole engine for free or cover half the costs for a new engine if the vehicle is out of warranty, because they are aware of the problem.
    I attended the international car show here in New York City and my Main interest was to see the 2003 Expy. Well to make a long story short I was very upset at how Ford changed the Expy. The body does look nice and I can bear that but the side exterior mirrors that they put on that truck look so incredibly ugly. They are basically large rectangular mirrors that look extremely ugly. I like the old round ones better. In my opinion if they would have kept the old mirrors the new expy would look nice. Ohh one last thing it seems to me that the new one is bigger than the old one. I just had to share my grief.
  • cmitl138cmitl138 Member Posts: 3
    does anybody know if the fuel filter should be changed every 15,000 miles on the 5.4 liter
    does doing this make a difference in the truks performance
  • s76drvrs76drvr Member Posts: 15
    Look at around 30-35K to change the fuel filter. My dealer will do it for $30 which after the special tool, filter, and mostly mess is well worth it.

MSNBC had an interesting link to Ford recognizing a problem with the 5.4 (99 on). Worth a check.

I like the 03 3rd seat improvement, but REALLY like the new Lincoln "Aviator" about to come out. Center shift and a little smaller. 300HP.

I've had my fair share of woes with my 99EB (38K), rebuilt tranny, #4 coil pack, cd player, roof rack, and new seat covers (bottom front). Disappointed in fit and finish for $40K vehicle.
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    Any of you folks tinker with using synthetic oil in your Expedition? Does Ford have a problem with using it from a warranty standpoint? MB and BMW routinely use it in their vehicles and suggest 12k miles between changes based on oil sensor data. I'd like to avoid the extra shop visits if possible.