Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tribeca Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• mystromystro Member Posts: 64
    Thanks for the pics,the bug shield should go,this front end is so swooping and sleek it detracts from the smooth lines and edgy grill,the bug shield is great on OB's and Legs..not the TriB besides,it doesn't work very well because of the overall front rake..I saw this in a windtunnel test. :shades:
    Has anyone checked if the 06 TriB Nav system can be retrofitted with a BU Cam?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It is well handling, and I usually don't care about looks, but wasting money on rimz and grilles doesn't make it look any better.

Also Handling + SUV is kind of an oxymoron. One could say it's also not too versed at rock-crawling and thus one of the worst off-roading SUVs....

-mike
    Mike,have you had a look at this:

smooth TriB

It may not represent "rock-crawling" but all the other important things it sure does. :)
    and still argue, that it is not, will not and cannot be an "offroader" period. First it has no low range, which is key to offroading in any truck.

-mike
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I see the Tribeca as a grand compromise vehicle- that meets my needs. It doesn't have the luxury of the Lexus, it doesn't have the fuel economy of a Rav4, it doesn't have the off road ability of a Grand Cherokee, it doesn't have the towing ability or utility of an Envoy or Explorer, etc.

But it's got plenty of room, lots of luxury for a great price, much better drivability than nearly any SUV, and better offroad capabilities than nearly any CUV (highlander, RDX, MDX, RX350, CRV etc). With 8.4" of clearance and a decent AWD system- it's my off road vehicle. (but I'm not an 'off road' enthusiast)
    Glad you like it. For me, the 3rd row is too small, the offroading isn't enough, and the towing is abysmal! :) If I were comparing it to the others in it's class however, yeah I'd think it's gret, I just dislike the fact that people call it an "offroader" when none of these vehicles are offroaders at all! Heck my Armada even with 4-low, LSD front and rear, and V8 power isn't good offroad due to the side-steps and front air dam!

-mike
    The problem with any vehicle remotely considered *real* rock climbing capable is they and all other SUV/CUV's lack the very sophisticated VCD/AWD Subaru system..it really is a point breaker if you spend most of your time *not* offroad..that along with it's 5 star crash and roll-over,Subaru has made the worlds best SUV in practical usage terms..we all probably agree on this. :)

Towing is rated for 3500# with trans-cooler..np
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Mike, discussing off-roading and the Tribeca, Murano, Navigator, all of those, is apples and oranges, and you should know that, eh?

They are neither made, sold or advertised as such.
    However it irks me when people tote it as an offroader. I have no issue with the Tribeca (other than SOA doesn't make a Subaru that can tow my Subaru Race car!)

-mike
    Offroader's in the sense of a rally-type conditions off-road..this they do with supreme gusto as you know but rock-climbing no and people who try will learn an expensive lesson. As for towing, 3500# is max not enough for your car,trailer plus parts but it would be neat if you could..maybe you could acid-dip your race car and shed more pounds. :)
    The trailer is about 2000, car even with getting it pretty light (as light as we can legally to race) would still be about 2700, then add in spares (although not too many considering it's a subaru) 3 sets of tires and rims, tools etc... and even though towing is 3500lbs, anyone who tows knows that you need about a 25% buffer on the max to tow comfortably! :(

-mike
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    It is well handling, and I usually don't care about looks, but wasting money on rimz and grilles doesn't make it look any better.

Also Handling + SUV is kind of an oxymoron. One could say it's also not too versed at rock-crawling and thus one of the worst off-roading SUVs....

-mike

Well I was going to ignore your posts because I felt they didn't warrant my time... Now you go and say I am wasting $$... why are you here in this forum if you hate the Tribeca? GO back under the rock you crawled out from under. :mad:

I obviously don't feel its a waste of money on the Rims an Grill and other B9 Owners have echoed the improvement to the looks going to 20" wheels. :P

(remember fellow B9 Owners - don't feed the Trolls and hopefully they will go away :shades: )
    Haaaa, Dude I've been here way way longer than you, I'm no troll, I don't dislike the B9 at all. I should also have phrased it better so as not to offend, I'm more a go rather than show. I don't think that dressing up the B9 makes it look any better than it did before which is pretty ugly IMNSHO, however it will outhandle the others in it's class, which would make it a good thing. Then again I raced a 1996 Impreza on the road race course with primer paint!

-mike

PS: Sorry to point out the emporer's new clothes!
    the bug sheild actually protects the front edge from rock chips and you are right it does not work well but it works better then no shield at all...

I drive alot of highway miles and if I can send anything over the top or stop a few rocks from chipping the front end ... :)
    I agree cluelesspa, even if it breaks the full force of a rock tagging the windshield you are more likely to not have a crack on the windshield etc. I've had bug-shields on all my SUVs and they've taken some nice beatings saving my hood and windhield on more than 1 case.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think we're sort of missing the point of a crossover.

If you're shopping in this class, you do not want a truck, period. Few owners tow, and if they do it's a little utility trailer. Off roading might mean getting up to a camp site or a gravel road, but no boulder hopping. Mostly people want something safe in the snow.

The features are there, the fuel economy is at least acceptable, and the size isn't too large to make it easy to park (at least with the rear cam/NAV screen).

I drove it and a Murano, and the Tribeca handled better despite being bigger. Plus it's nicer inside, and offers the +2 in a pinch.

-juice
  • newb9newb9 Member Posts: 4
    Any body know if I can get a sattelite radio installed into the becca. I recently purchase an 06 5pas limmeted with nav and I would like to add a satellite unit to the system. Not a seperate plug and play ( I have that now and I hate having the wires everywhere) Looking to da a permanent install.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    Would like to know also. I heard there was some type of retrofit that could be installed at the dealer without all the wires, etc.
  • ajm831ajm831 Member Posts: 11
    I am also interested in buying a 2007 and having Sirius installed without all the wires. I called SUA national help line and they said no way. I've called 4 local dealers and no one has said yes. One "no" ; two: we'll call you back. still waiting. One just called and said that Best Buy can install without dangling wires. Can't get them on the phone- too busy to respond. I'm in hope that the information is correct. My other half is balking about buying a Tribeca without a build in Sirius.
  • jcm10jcm10 Member Posts: 1
    Since the b9 has been out for sometime has anyone installed a b/u camera? If so, who makes a camera to work in the b9? Have any updates come out yet for the nav? How can i disable the drl's? I want to install an HID kit and would like to disable the drl. Has anyone installed an ipod kit in their b9's? I want to take my ipod with me on the road but it seems no one makes an interface for the b9.
    You can install them, however you'll be a menace to others on the road, if you need more light, please add driving lights.

-mike
  • barkbusterbarkbuster Member Posts: 1
    Got a wireless backup camera kit from PEP Boys. Cost about $100. Works well. Camera wires into the backup lights and mounts on the license plate screws. The monitor is in color and can either be plugged into the accessory jack or you can wire it, as I did, into the power driving the sunroof. Took me about 2 hours to install it.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Anybody know of a opening in the firewall that I can use to pass a power coble through. I want to install a 2M/70CM HAM radio and require a direct connection to the battery.
    Thanks.
  • drpeacedrpeace Member Posts: 3
    Anyone that has experience with mounting of:
    1) Trailer hitch?
    2) transmission Oil cooler upgrade (to pull >2000 lbs)?

-Level of difficulty, i.e., can it be done yourself?
    -Are there instructions of how to do it?
    -or price paid to have it done by professionals?

Thanks for any input
    Cheers/Tribeca owner since Aug 2005 in New England
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Check out http://www.scoobymods.com/index.php

Peaty has done that and has posted good directions and pictures.
  • tls8thtls8th Member Posts: 27
    Purchased my hitch through Draw-tite very easy to install no drilling required, bolts to underbody rear bumper supports. Complete hitch is hidden except receiver part. Took about 30 mins and a torque wrench to apply. Came with wire hookup, B9 has the plug for connection already there under storage bin in back. I did have to slightly widen the access hole after removing a plastic plug. Slightly enlarged opening thread wire through and follow-up with silicone. I also have a step bumper attachment from go rhino solid black goes into receiver can stand on to reach roof easier. Both great if you want pics I'm not sure how to do this.
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    Walmart no selling unit for under $90
    i have not installed yet
    Also at Pep Boys
    purchase wind guard for sunroof
    helps big time
    Looks good on black B9 as well
    Eric :shades:
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    Car looks awesome
    I have 7 pass. Black B9
    Looking for new tires (i am at 25k in miles)
    I am in CT so rough winter roads etc
    Should i get 20 inch?
    Are the all season?
    i am on lease and return it in 2008
    but also like look of 20 inch wheels but concerned about the handling in ice and snow
    thanks
    ESC
    I would not put aftermarket 20" rims on a car I was going to return on a lease. You don't know if the offsets will be compatible with the vehicle you replace it with.

-juice
    I wouldn't go 20" for wheels, as it will really limit the tire availability- especially if you want something with a little snow capability. There are a few good options for our size. One is the Yokohama Geolander- but check over with the VW Touareg forums (not the edmunds one) where there's a discussion of tires. The V8 Touareg takes the same size.
    For some additional traction in the snow- you can go with an on/off road tire. In addition to the aforementioned Geolanders, there's the Bridgestone Dueler (a few different models) and the Nitto Terra Grappler- that looks like a good choice in our size. If you're willing to spend a bit more- the Nokian WR's are supposedly top notch for the snow, and still very very good on road.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Somewhat suprised to see that tires need replacement at 25k.
    Anyone else had to replace tires yet? I am at 18k and would anticipate at least 40k (and one more winter here in Massachusetts).

Jerry
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I have a little over 28k miles on my Beca, and, actually pleased that the tires seem to be wearing quite well. I had those Potenza's my 05 Outback, and replaced them at around 30k -- these seem to be holding up quite well. Only problem is I had one with a leak in the sidewall that was not repareable and I had to replace on at 19k. However, unless you look closely at all the tires, difficult to tell the difference between the ones with 28k and the one with 9k. I put a lot of miles on, about 3k per month so I assume before end of summer I will be looking for another set. Anyone with ideas out there what would give a quiet, smooth ride (get a very harsh, noisy ride on the Goodyears
    LS 2's and hoping for something better. I guess there are not too many choices to pick from.
    You may be damaging your differentials by replacing a single tire. They all need to be within 1/4" circumference.

-mike
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    At the time of replacement had that issue checked out. There was not a significant difference in treadwear between the three OEM tires & the new one. Both the dealer & Goodyear dealer confirmed that. I am just surprised the tires seem to be holding up as much as they have been. Look pretty good for 28k miles on them.
    yeah- the consistent reports I hear about the Goodyear Eagle LS2 is that they will last a long time. You might get 60,000mi out of them- which given the weight and AWD nature of the Tribeca- is really wonderful. (compared to the 15Kmi-20Kmi that people with Touaregs get)

That's good news- for those that aren't picky about tires. And - from Subaru's perspective having trouble free, long wearing tires keeps most customers the happiest.

However- for enthusiats who notice the less than stellar ride quality, road noise, and mediocre traction in snow/dirt I guess it's a down side, as you'll need to put a lot of miles on them to wear them out before you replace them.
    Was just going to comment that in the past I've found GY to have a long tread life, however after 1-2 years they become very hard and plasticy, dangerously so where you'll slide the car around in the wet/cold even with a full tread on them.

-mike
    LS2 - In My Opinion = @#$@$#@ (insert derogatory word of your choice)

they are a hard tread which even in light snow is like driving a sled. or in medium rain the tires suck. and not to the road.... You get long mileage at the sacrifice of traction. I think you really do not realize how great the AWD is of Subaru and the Winter handling with the LS2 Good Year tires!

I run 20" Summer only tires and for Winter I use the OEM rims and put on a nice set of 4 Pirelli Scorpions ($150 per tire). So far after 1 foot of snow in the NE (luck not in the thick part of the snow). The Pirellis are great! a little squirmish on ice but if you drive really slow it still gets you thru the icy patches. Places where the Goodyear would leave you stranded or driving 5 mphs.

Off set is important, so it will limit you on what Wheels you can use. The off set I think is 55 mm? Do a search I had posted it earlier... I am 5 MM further out then OEM which is LESS then 1/2 inch. I had no issues as I went with a size that at 20" was exactly the same outside dimensions as the 18" tires were.

The only thing was the lower profile did tend to knock the alignment out slightly. This is because the suspension has to take more of the bumps then a tire with a larger side wall which will act as a shock absorber somewhat. The plus side is the B9 handles much much better with a lower profile tire! I have lifetime alignment so no big issue. Plus I have learned to ignore the Tire Pressure light instead of paying for a new set in the 20" wheels
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    I am loving the Michelin X-ice tires mounted to ASA alloy wheels. They look great and the combo of Tribeca AWD plus stability control plus x-ice tires = very safe and confident driving.
    My Forester with snows has been awesome this week. We're in a deep freeze and I can park in places no FWD vehicle can even dream of. :shades:

-juice
  • danieltribecadanieltribeca Member Posts: 13
    Hello... I need your.. I'm looking a seat cover to my Tribeca 5 2007 Beige Leather....

I need a seat cover that fix 100%... do you know where can I find this seat covers?

Subaru has this seat covers?

Daniel
    Haven't seen one from Subaru, so you'll probably have to go aftermarket.

Only one I'm familiar with is Wet Okole, they have one for the Forester (not sure if it will fit yours):

http://wetokole.net/page/WOH/PROD/SUBARUF

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I ordered the 07 cargo area side panels for my 06 B9 so that I can fit the 07 retractable cargo cover which is otherwise not retrofitable.

It is expensive at 150 for each side but if it works it is a solution for ppl with an 06 Tribeca wanting the retractable cargo cover.

Please let me know before i waste my time if for some reason this isnt' possible and others have been through this.

if it works out i will report back so ppl willk now this is a viable option for 06 owners to have the retractable cargo cover.

We all know the 06 bungy cord one is sub par.
    Funny thing is I have one of those for my Forester and I just took it out. It ended up getting in the way a lot of times. I kept it so I have it when I sell the vehicle.

-juice
    Same here with my Trooper one. The Armada didn't come with it and with the tinted windows don't see a real need for it.

-mike
  • danieltribecadanieltribeca Member Posts: 13
    Thanks juice let me check

Daniel
  • sweetpetesweetpete Member Posts: 15
    Hi guys,

Just bought a new '07 7 pass limited. I have a question about hooking up my Valentine One radar detector - and I'm not an electrician, so please bear with me. My B9 has the auto-dim rear view mirror, and it's obviously powered by the wire that leads to it. Is it safe to tap this wire for power? My V1 came with a tap connector for such a connection. Any help is appreciated.
  • deep4deep4 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Barkbuster,
    I have just bought a wireless backup camera from Walmart. Can you send some instructions.
    I can't see your email so if you can email me at soumyaroopbhatt@yahoo.com

Thanks
  • ricagonricagon Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a cross bar kit for my 2006 but I can't find a roof rack product that will work with it (Thule or Yakima). Is this really the case -does anyone know of a cargo box that will fit other than the one sold by Subaru?
This discussion has been closed.