Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Clutch & Transmission Questions

guspgusp Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in MINI
At 3000 miles I had to have my entire clutch system replaced (under warranty). In stop and go traffic on a slight incline in 1st gear the car wouldn't move. I also had and still have a horrible time getting my car in reverse. The MINI service people tell me that is just normal. Now at 12,000 miles my clutch did the same thing. On a slight incline in bumper to bumper traffic the car wouldn't move... The MINI service people drove the car for 20 miles and found no problems. I know better. Now they want me put down $2000 to open the thing up to see if its a warranty issue or the clutch needs replacing. Is this a rip off or what? I have had clutches for the past 30 years and never once had to replace any for the lifetime of the cars. I don't ride the clutch or abuse it. Is this normal? If it is a MINI isn't suited for bumper to bumper LA traffic. I called the MINI rep and I am waiting for a call back tomorrow. Paying for a new clutch is unacceptable to me. Is this to be expected from a MINI?

Comments

• maura1maura1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get any resolution to this problem. The EXACT same thing just happened to me and I am feeling a bit bamboozled.
  • bruin03bruin03 Member Posts: 1
    You are definitely not the only one. Almost two years ago I purchased a new 2004 Mini Cooper and since day one, getting the car in reverse has been a challenge. It has always hesitated in first gear and I had to have the entire computer system replaced because I was told that some of the 2004 models have "glitches". Just when I think things can't get any worse, I'm told that I have to shell out $3,000.00 for an entire new clutch system at 41,000 miles. They claimed since the pressure plates were worn down so bad and there was damage to the fly wheel, that it was considered beyond "normal wear & tear" (as determined by BMW standards) and that I was liable for the costs...even though I already paid almost $3,000.00 when I bought the darn thing for the extended warranty so that I wouldn't have to worry about paying for a burnt out clutch. I was told that driving in the hills of San Francisco and stop & go traffic were the main cause, not necessarily the driving habits of the owner (because I do not ride my clutch)...so why in the hell did I end up paying so much? My advice to anyone who has to commute through stop and go traffic or, God forbid, climb any sort of incline whatsoever: DO NOT PURCHASE A MINI! I'm getting rid of mine as soon as possible...the savings on gas goes right back into parts and labor...because NOTHING seems to be covered under warranty.
  • minitechminitech Member Posts: 11
    That really stinks that has happened to you but I think thats more of a dealer situation than a warranty situation. Id be more likely to point the finger at the dealer than the vehicle.
  • drkeepdrkeep Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2004 S that was bought used with about 52,000 miles on it. Bought extented warranty with the car. Now 4 months later have been told that it needs a new clutch ($2,400) Since it this is a "wear item" warranty does not cover it.
    Any suggestions?
  • crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    Yes, I have a suggestion. I would find someone in the area that repairs MINIs other than the dealer. While clutch replacement isn't cheap, you can get better prices. If you have a local MINI club, check with them for possible discount labor at sponsoring shops.
  • drkeepdrkeep Member Posts: 2
    thanks - do you think dealer from where min was bought should be responsible for new clutc?
  • sconantsconant Member Posts: 23
    I'll SAVE you $$$$. There is a "service bulleton on the Mini. Believe me -- I've put 3 clutched in my '02! Many-many-many other problems!!! Sell the darned thing. It WILL bankrupt you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The water pump WILL be next , then the power steering(another service bulleton) then the throttle body!!!

steve_conant@yahoo.com GLAD to discuss this w/ you.
  • crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    MINI should pay only if the parts are defective. The clutch is a 'wear' item and at the mercy of the drivers habits. I have an 04, spend a lot of time on the track and have had no clutch problems yet. When I do have a problem, I expect to pay for the repairs.
  • grooovygrooovy Member Posts: 3
    Hubby owns 2002 Cooper S - red, with Union flag (I've a 2004 Cooper - blue, with the Union Flag, natch). Blinking fan on it will NOT stop running. I see others have had problems, too.

What can we do? I was going to pull a fuse, but couldn't figure out how to remove the large, green fuse for the battery. Advice on how to do that?

ALso, is it the cooling fan or the power steering fan? SOunds like the bigger of the two... Thanks for help. -- G
    There are SEVERAL "service bullitens" out on the 02-04's. You will have to go to a Mini dealer to find about them but there are many! The clutch is the main one along with the power steering, etc etc etc :mad:
  • afox30afox30 Member Posts: 3
    We got our Mini in 2004 from the dealership with 7,000 miles on it. It was used as a loaner car before we purchased it. It currently has ~31,000 miles on it, and the clutch pedal "broke" the other night when I was downshifting. Basically, there was no resistance or no pressure in the pedal when I pushed it to the floor. This morning, the service advisor says the clutch is busted, it's not covered under warranty, and it's gonna run $2,000.

Aside from being thoroughly infuriated, I really need to know if I have any recourse here. The clutch should not be gone after 30,000 miles. I don't know how it was driven during its 7,000-mile life as a loaner, but even then, I can't begin to comprehend that this is our fault.

Any ideas? I'm continuing to scan these messages about service bulletins and what not, but any direct advice would be appreciated.
    Your "dealer" is telling you a lie! There is a service bulliten as well as a recall on clutcvhes! I know because I found out when my clutch FIRST went at 12000 mi and again at 29000mi. There are many "service bullitens" on the Mini and the dealer will not tell you about them unless you "call them" on it or your complaint describs the "problem. Get the car fixed and SELL IT. I've had 3 clutches, 2 water pumps, throttle body, 3 computers and complete power steering replaced. All this w/in 38000 mi. So far warrenty has taken "care" of things. I still have issues with the clutch and trans. A factory "rep" has an appt. with me so we'll see!?? :mad:
    FYI The clutch should be covered under warrenty going by the milage you represent.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Clutches are a judgement call for warranty repairs. The warranty covers defects but does not cover abuse. Without abuse, they should be covered but I'm sure a great many of these 7K loaner miles were at the hands of drivers who couldn't have cared less about what problems subsequent drivers might have. And 31K is not out of bounds for where a clutch can be worn out if the car is driven aggressivly.

I'd work with the dealer and escalate up and try and get satisfaction, but the 24K miles the car has accumulated in your hands are going to work against you. They may be willing to take it apart and make a judgment call on whether it was a defect, abuse, or simply wear/tear. The first they're likely to pay for, the 2nd you, and the third, they probably will suggest a sharing of the repair cost.

Good luck!

- Mark
  • afox30afox30 Member Posts: 3
    Well, just to update, it wasn't covered under warranty. He said the clutch was absolutely shot and gone. I asked him to save the parts, but I don't know what I'm going to do from here. I asked about any service bulletins on the clutch from two dealers and they said there were none. What a freaking kick in the gut this was.
    Call Flow Mini in Winston Salem, N.C. Just tell them you are experiencing problems and see what they say.
  • mariehmarieh Member Posts: 1
    hi....just found this website!! I have 02 mini and its breaking my bank account. Yesterday it caught on fire and the steering went. Love to talk to u Sconant if you have time. email me pls.
  • minidivisionminidivision Member Posts: 2
    I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your problem with your clutch. If you would like our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI or email us at MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM and mention Reference #200626800788 so that we can help you more efficiently.
  • blackoneblackone Member Posts: 4
    When I am driving my wife's MINI and take my foot off of the gas to slow down I feel like I am in first gear and the transmission is slowing me down more than I care to be slowing down. Is this an inherent feature of the CVT transmission?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think that's a normal characteristic of the CVT, along with the low-speed lurching and bucking. :cry:

I think the CVT is the achilles heel of the Mini drivetrain. It mimics some of the negative characteristics of a manual transmission without any of the positives. :sick:
    I HAVE THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH MY MANUAL TRANS. THE FACTORY REP. EXPLAINED THERE IS NEW SOFEWARE TO TRY AND SOLVE THE ISSUE - SOMETIMES IT WORKS AND SOMETIME IT IS NOT SO SUCCESSFUL. MINI IS AWARE OF THIS AND IS WORKING ON THE ISSUE. IN THE MEANTIME TRY THE NEW SOFEWARE.
    Has anyone experienced a "crunk" going into second gear? Is there a fix? Is it a trans. prob. or shift linkage?
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Well, 2nd gear syncros are usually the first to go, so the 1st-2nd gear change is usually the one that starts getting the "crunk" first as the transmission wears. A balky or mis-adjusted linkage is a possibility also, but if shifting slower/deliberately seems to solve the problem, then it's probably the syncros. And you've also found the workaround (and possibly the cause for your syncros wearing out prematurely).

- Mark
    not sure what you mean by "workaround"? Just got back from the dealer (8th time) and most problems were fixed but their usual response to second gear was "it's normal"?
  • kathryn78kathryn78 Member Posts: 1
    hi...my 03 mini S died many miles into a trip recently...roadside assistance was pretty good. towed to mini. dealer. was then told 2600.00 for a clutch. not covered...just over 30K miles!!!!!! so, i called back with tow number and asked to have it sent to my mechanic who was going to do it FOR HALF!!! next thing i know...Mini is covering the WHOLE THING.
    While i'm very pleased, a clutch should not go at 33K...esp driven only 10K per year, much of it highway. so...be vigilant...
  • cosgrovetcosgrovet Member Posts: 1
    Did the MINI dealership pull the transmission before
    you asked to have it towed?

My clutch went up at 28,000 miles. I had AAA tow it
    to the MINI dealership. They pulled the transmission
    and now they tell me that even if I don't get it fixed
    I am in to them for $1,700!

Tom
    cosgrove.t@att.net
  • rus3rus3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a Mini 2002 S model with manual transmission one of the first model's that came out(Average 10K per year mileage).

I had the clutch changed at 45,000 miles for the first time.
    Clutch lifespan can go out sooner depending how you drive the vehicle (Clutch yoke noisy and worn out clutch). Lucky I was covered under a 50K warranty when I purchased the car.
    A normal clutch in other car's can get a lot more mileage than 45K miles. I now have 48,000 miles on the car.

Some of the most common problems I have experienced is with the Mini Cooper S (manual transmission) not of the routine kind of things of owning a car.

1) One of the first problems I had overheating problem with engine at 10,000 miles.
    2) Rear latch on rear trunk never locked (needed replace latch).
    3) Idiot lights on dash tire flat (Motor wheel rotation sensor) you hit a pot-hole it stays on very common and sometimes for weeks off and on.
    (Computer software glitches of some kind)Airbag idiot light stays on all the time now.
    The Mini dealer service told me eventually they will come up with a better software upgrade.
    I've learned to live with idiot light on the dash being on or off so don't be alarmed if you see them.

4) Cooling fan to engine kept turning never shut off then drains battery overnight. Mini dealer had to change both Cooling fans which they were very reluctant when its under warranty.
    5) Brakes last 20,000 miles about on the front and 30,000 miles on the rear.
    6) Clutch problem at 45,000 miles.

7) All Tires replaced.

Yeah, we all have problems the Mini Cooper S but I would rather own a Toyota Corolla that I have as a second car with 250,000 miles and never had these kind of problems with only 48,000 miles. If I keep the car for another 50K miles will have the same problems again plus more.

The tow truck driver who came to load my Mini cooper to the shop say most Mini's he towed are transmission problems and overheating problems.
  • rus3rus3 Member Posts: 3
    The clutch problem has been an issue on mostly all models since the first one that was sold in the USA.

I drive my Mini Cooper S 2002 about 10,000 a year....so most of the time its parked and really has not much chance for a hot running engine.

I happen to get on my Mini Cooper 2002 S 45,000 miles out of the clutch before it broke. I have had many Volkswagens in the past I got at least 95,000 miles out of a clutch. I drive a stickshift like you would think its an automatic transmission ride. The shifting is smooth and you never realize its a sticksift car since I had many clutch car's in the past.

This car has more problems than a normal running used car you buy off the lot.
    I personally, would stay away from these cars until they make them much better and realiable.
    They just are not working on the problems that the first models had and now they still have the same problems on newer models.

Buyer beware, its still an experimental car with lots of bugs to be worked out even in the latest models.
  • ctm3267ctm3267 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - New to this site. My mini is 2002, automatic, with 43,000 miles. Warranty was up in August (just 4 months ago) and I noticed a sputtering sound recently. I took it in and the dealership told me the transmission is shot and will cost $7500 to repair! I took it to a non-dealer repair shop and they said they needed to replace the transmission with a brand new one b/c it was hard to say what's wrong with the transmission inside.

Replacing is will cost me almost 1/3 of what I paid for it...I don't know what to do. Any suggestions/similar experiences? I'm leaning towards getting it fixed and then selling it. I just wonder if it's even worth getting fixed at all.

Thanks,
    colleen
    ctm3267@yahoo.com
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    That's a tough one--that's really a bad break. First thing I'd do is find out how good your dealer is--if you bought it new there, I'd see what they'd do on a trade in on it, as is. The only way I'd drop the 7500 to fix it is if you planned on keeping it (If you trade in after putting the 7500 in it, I doubt you'll get your 7500 back out of it--ask your dealer what they'd give you if it were fixed versus as is to get an idea of how much fixing it would or wouldn't help you.). Dropping 7500 into it and then trying to sell it yourself may be problematic--it's going to be a tough sell to get the price that the car's worth on a car with a tranny replaced.
    I know this is now 01/07/07 but what was your outcome with the clutch and having to pay for "diagnosis"?
  • bbucbbuc Member Posts: 1
    We've taken our 2003 Mini Cooper S in to the dealer numerous times and reporting a strange loud sound every time we drove off or backed up. Every time they would say they could not duplicate the sound. Finally after being told I needed to come in and have the shop manager ride with me to see if I could point it out, they heard it.

There is a awful sound everytime you take off or back up. The response from him was "oh that's coming from the clutch, it does that after awhile, we can tighten it but the sound may come back again."

Every time I call dealer or check online there does not seem to be any recalls or similar problems with other Mini's. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • 03minidrvr03minidrvr Member Posts: 6
    Hello, first time poster here.

The transmission went out on my MINI too. Mine is a 2003, automatic, with 33,000 miles. I bought it used a few months ago. I was so excited about owning a car that was built this century! I still love the fuel efficiency (31 mpg SF down to LA) and the heated seats and fitting in tight parking spaces. Unfortunately I’m back to thinking of cars as a huge drain on my money and time.

Short version: the transmission was replaced and covered under the warranty even though the warranty expired about a month earlier. SF MINI Dealership cost estimate was $5,000. They replaced a tail light free of charge and they provided a loaner car.

I’ll post a longer version of the situation in a minute.

Reading other posts on the forum makes me concerned that the transmission is just the first of many issues with this MINI. At this point it would not be cost-effective to sell, but the warranty won’t cover problems 3 months/years from now…

Colleen/ctm3267 - If you’re reading this, I’m interested to know what you ended up doing?

Thanks,
    Taj
    In Nov 06, my husband and I bought a 2003 MINI, automatic transmission, with 33K miles. In January we noticed that the car would not go into gear unless we revved the engine about 10 times. Definitely not cool. About a month later it just would not go into gear, no matter what. Non-dealer repair shop first told us it was the transmission. Replacement cost estimate was $3,000, but I’m not sure if that included labor.

We called up SF Mini dealership (where they had just completed the 30K mile tune-up). They immediately said they would take a look and if it was the transmission they would absolutely cover it under the warranty, since it had literally just expired.

Short version: it was the transmission and it was replaced under warranty. Dealership cost estimate was $5,000. They replaced a tail light free of charge and they provided a loaner car.

Longer, venting version: Looking back a few months/years from now I will probably only remember that we didn’t pay for the transmission. But since it’s still fresh…. The customer service was AWFUL:

We dropped off the car after a 12 mile, $100 tow. After four days of no news and no returned calls, I finally got through. They said they hadn’t even looked at it yet. Service Rep#1 offered us a rental car for $25/day. We got a better deal on our own. I finally got through after about a week of no news and no response to multiple phone calls. Service Rep#2 said “oh no, I would have given you the loaner car at no charge” and “we can’t find the problem.” So we dropped off our rental car and picked up their rental car. After 3 days of no news and no returned phone calls, I got through. They said they found the problem. After four more days of no news and no returned messages, I got through to the receptionist in the late afternoon. The car had been ready for pick up all day.

Summary: They had the car three weeks. We are out of pocket $260. We have a new transmission.

I’m now considering 1) keeping the car and hoping nothing else goes wrong, 2) selling it and getting ????, 3) selling it and getting a new MINI with a bumper to bumper warranty and upgrading my road-side assistance plan.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome.
  • turbojoe74turbojoe74 Member Posts: 5
    bbuc, I had a 2005 Mini Cooper and waited for the new 5 spd transmission. Ever since the first day I drove it I noticed that in slow manuevers,ie pulling into a parking space or backing out of the garage the engine would vibrate violently. I have had many 5spd or stick shift cars in my life, in fact I have a 1987 supra turbo with 170000 miles on it and just changed the clutch on it 6000 miles ago, but this cooper is very touchy on the clutch. I had repeatedly complained to my MINI dealer in Arlington, TX but to no avail. I had to push them to get the factory engineer down here to check the car. all he did was drive it and admitted that there was a problem with the clutch. But blamed it on me. He was a young engineer who didn't seem to know much. He wanted me to rev it to 2000-2500 just to do these low speed manuevers like that isn't dangerous in tight spaces. Well, BMW you lost me as a future customer for any of your other products since I was treated like this for 18 months. Traded the car for 200 less than I paid for it in July 06 on a Toyota FJ Crusier. No problems on the cruiser. By the way I only had 8000 miles on the MINI when I got rid of it. The clutch always chattered in low manuevers and I had to consciously raise the rpms to keep the Mini from chattering and vibrating violently. By the way BMW You also lost out on another sale I completed on a new LEXUS ES350. I will never consider a BMW again because of the way the dealer and BMW corp treated me. I should not have to pester a luxury car group to do its job.
  • zippcozippco Member Posts: 4
    I am going through similar situation with my 2005 Cooper (Automatic) w/8000mi right now. Luckly I have the road-side assis. plan and was able to take it to my favorite authorized Mini service dealer and still under warranty.
    But even after the transmission is replaced (w/re-built one), by reading the Forums here makes me worry. I, too hope nothing else goes wrong....

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome.
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    zippco ~

What kind of problems have you had with your transmission? Has it already been replaced with only 8,000 miles on it? I also have a Mini (2006) with an automatic transmission with the same mileage as yours. So far everything seems to work fine, but now I'm a bit worried after reading a couple of complaints from this Forum. :confuse:

What kind of situations are you having with your Mini? I'll have to be more attentive on my MCS to see if I experience anything unusual. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to buy the extended warranty after what I've read here.

Is there anyone out there that has higher mileage (50,000 or more) on an automatic transmission with no problems?
    bfromhold:
    My 2005 Mini Cooper's auto. transmission was replaced with a re-built transmission.
    One day I noticed that when merging on to a highway,(going from 30 to 60mi/hr) it jerked and hesitated for a second. But it drove fine once going. Then few weeks later, I could not drive any faster than 25mi/hr on a slushy road, I first thought it had something to do with the Dynamic Stability Control. (I must admit my knowledge in auto-mechanism is very limited...) But once towed to the dealer/service, they said it's "defect transmission"..... It is running great right now. And I found that the MINI Customer Relations reps are very helpful.
    Since I DO love driving my Mini, most likely will buy the extended warranty when the time comes.
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    zippco ~

Thanks replying so quickly to my inquiry about the problems you've experienced. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the fact that you shared your misfortune. At least it'll give me a heads up to look out for anything usual.

I should buy the extended warranty for peace of mind. However, I may buy a new Mini in 2009, so I'll just have to wait and see how many miles I'll have on my 2006 by then. Thanks again for sharing... May the rest of your driving experience with your Mini be uneventful. :)
  • paw9paw9 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm a first time poster to this site. I'm thinking about a MINI and just drove a base model on Saturday. It definitely scores high on fun. But I'm really worried about the reliability after reading these posts - although it looks like the problems are limited to older models? I've owned Hondas and Toyotas in the past which were extremely reliable - I never took them in for anything other than routine maintenance. Should I be worried about the 2007 MINI? :confuse:
    paw9:
    It took me a while to decide after owning 2 Toyotas in the past.(Both drove it over 100,000mi) But I just love how MINI drives, no comparison when it comes to "Motoring"!
    I guess you need to ask yourself how long you plan on keeping the car, 3 yrs? 10yrs?, then get the right warranty and ENJOY driving! I admit that after the transmission problem,I am bit worried but personally, I don't wish to go back driving a Toyota. Good luck and let me know what you decide! Zippco
    Hello,
    It's been a bit since the transmission was replaced, so I wanted to post a quick update. My husband and I haven't had any new problems and the difficulties with the dealership are quickly becoming a distant memory. Even after all the hassle, I agree with a few of the other posters that it's just a lot of fun to drive! And I love fitting into tiny parking spots! Despite this rough start, our next car may be another MINI.

Thanks to everyone who posts here. It really is a great resource.

Taj
  • nona47nona47 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, this is a COPY of aN email I sent to MINI USA, nevertheless all they provided me was the usual @#$%%$@ customer service response- THEY CANNOT DO NOTHING TAKE COMPLAINT BACK TO THE DEALER. It seems we have the same problem, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM, OUR MINI S 2006, ONLY HAS 8,000 PLUS MILES.... ORDERED CUSTOM FM OXFORD FACTORY. THANKS

The following is to voice a technical concern (get some answers) rather than a customer service complaint against the dealer or service manager. I hope that a person with the proper technical background can provide a clarification.

Our Mini has been making this squealing -grinding noise, mid clutch release, mostly when vehicle is cold and in first gear (when need engine torque to move the vehicle fm idle). When the noise occurs you can feel it in the clutch pedal. Once the car has been driven for over 30-40
    minutes this noise/condition is not reproducible. Because of what I have just described, I took our Mini to the dealer, the customer service manager knew exactly what I was describing to him. I was told that this
    is a well known GLITCH with the MINI's clutch system, and that there is no repair for it, just keep observing. If anything I do appreciate this man's honesty in sharing this information. I have been a driver of 35 years- driven many stick shift's, the only
    time I have ever heard a noise like such is when a clutch is getting ready to be replaced and well into the 90k miles. We, that is my husband and I, purchased our MINI hoping to own a piece of great German (BMW)-English engineering that is affordable. Needless to say our hopes regarding the quality and craftsmanship of your products has been
    shattered, by the fact that it does not appear your engineers are finding a solution to this GLITCH (I was informed this has been a common occurrence for quite a few years), thus eventually, having to replace a
    clutch at 40k miles at the customer's expense (not covered in the warranty). I believe BMW can do much better than this even if the MINI is not one of your HIGH END products. You don't have to be a seasoned mechanic or engineer to figure out that something that is grinding, is not working properly, even if it does not happen every day or 1-4 times
    on the day it happens, that a grinding noise means release of shavings (damaging to any mechanical system) and uneven wear or damages to a particular part in this case could be the clutch plate, CLUTCH RELEASE
    THROW OUT BEARING( shavings/dust could affect this part) or fly wheel. :( :mad:
  • nona47nona47 Member Posts: 5
    DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM, OUR MINI S 2006, ONLY HAS 8,000 PLUS MILES.... ORDERED CUSTOM FM OXFORD FACTORY. PURCHASED AT CENTRAL FLORIDA MINI DEALERSHIP... THANKS

Our Mini has been making this squealing -grinding noise, mid clutch release, mostly when vehicle is cold and in first gear (when need engine torque to move the vehicle fm idle). When the noise occurs you can feel it in the clutch pedal. Once the car has been driven for over 30-40
    minutes this noise/condition is not reproducible. Because of what I have just described, I took our Mini to the dealer, the customer service manager knew exactly what I was describing to him. I was told that this
    is a well known GLITCH with the MINI's clutch system, and that there is no repair for it, just keep observing. If anything I do appreciate this man's honesty in sharing this information. BUT IT DOES NOT SOLVE OUR PROBLEM... :mad: :cry: WORST yet CLUTCHES ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, ACCORDING TO SERVICE MANAGER, IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR MINI CLUTCHES TO DIE AT 40K MILES..... :cry:
  • pareesparees Member Posts: 2
    After reading about all the clutch/transmission problems, I am reconsidering this purchase. Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed in the '07?
  • pareesparees Member Posts: 2
    Please, can't anyone give me any information on what I might expect in the new model? I have been driving standard transmissions for 35 years and have never replaced a clutch in less than 80k miles.
  • geochavezgeochavez Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I own a 2002 Mini with only 29K mi on it. At first I was happy with car, but recently have driven the car more frequently and have experienced many little problem and noises, such as, trunk latch, srs light (air bag) due to faulty seatbelt latch, a factory recall. Overheating an constant fan running and NOW to top it all off transmission problems, what's next. I am not sure what it will or going to run me but after reading prior commentary I am afraid to even ask at dealer, since my warranty is out. Doe anyone have any suggestions, beside getting rid of it, which I intend to do after repair..... Cute cars, but not reliable what so ever, many glitches and it seems that it will be a while before you can really say they are reliable especially for the money you are paying!!!!!!!!Needles to say, WITH ALL THESE PROBLEMS I AM SURPRISED MINI HAS NOT GOTTEN SUED UNDER LEMON LAW TO MAKE BUYERS MORE AWARE OF THESE LITTLE ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • geochavezgeochavez Member Posts: 2
    YEAH If you want to save aggrivation of running back and forth to dealer and worrying about clutch issues, don't buy a mini for time being!! they look and drive nice, but problems will pop out in the first 25K mi be aware!!!
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    The gearbox was changed in 2005--specifically because of the transmission/clutch in the earlier models--from Midlands to Gertrag--which is the same manufacturer of the transmission in the Mini S. Gertrag is very reliable, but as its only in the 2005 and later models, I would steer away from the base Mini Cooper in any year prior to 2005.
    geochavez:
    Sorry to hear about your 02 Mini....I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it. But still have to spend the $$$ for the repairs...Have you contacted the MINI customer service? I'm not sure what they can do but they may have suggestions. And I believe they need to hear about these problems from owners!
    After replacing my 05 MINI(auto)transmission at 8K mi,(under warranty)and now at 10K mi, so far it's been smooth running. I plan on keeping my Mini for at least 5 more years. Has anyone out there purchased an extended warranty before 5yr/50K warranty expired? And wondering if you used it.