Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    Many posts on this board including some of mine have asked about how to boost HP and torque. We'll I finally took the plunge and put an exhaust system on my Expy. I have a 2000 5.4 EB, I have for a while now been using a K&N air filter, it noticeably helped power and response at higher RPM's and improved gas milage a little bit about .5 miles per gallon. A month ago I had installed, a Gibson swept side exhaust system. My God what a difference! Gibson claims on to give a 15 HP boost to the rear wheels so that probably is at least 20 at the engine. The swept side is pretty quite the increase in loudness is barely noticeable although it is noticeable. The sound changed a little bit also almost like the car has more Testosterone. Stock the 2000 5.4 has 260hp and 350 torque On paper I now have 290 HP and close to 400 torque I did not have my car dyno tested before or after but there is definitely a power increase I even noticed on the freeway at 75 the tachometer is 200 or 300 RPM's lower than before. Too soon to tell if there is gas savings but based on the tach reading I would guess so.
    bye
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    I was thinking of getting that exhaust my self. Even though its a quality exhaust, there is no way that you now have a 290Hp Expedition. Adding all of those things did not give you that much Hp. When they claim things its usually installed with some other part that will produce part of that HP. If you get it dyno tested your at the wheels HP will be a lot less then 260.
  • co_daveco_dave Member Posts: 16
    How did you manage to lower the RPMs at highway speeds. At those speeds your torque converter should be locked up. Your RPMs should remain constant, just easier and it won't have to unlock as much - unless that is controlled by the computer instead of load.
  • ecd71ecd71 Member Posts: 1
    This is a relatively inexpensive option for the 2003, but does anyone know exactly what info it provides? Is it a dummy light that tells you that you are low, or does it give the running pressure of each tire? Also, it replaces the alloy wheels on the EB with aluminum. Is that an upgrade or down? Does it look different? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I hear that the 2003 Expedition is on a delivery hold - might be having a problem that they hope to fix without having a recall that could hurt the image. Also here are some of the current production delays:

Special Service Vehicle Pkg. (fleet only) est. Job #1 ‚ 9/9/02
    (51P) Tire Pressure Monitor production delayed until 8/5/02
    (240A) FX4 Off Road Pkg. on hold until 9/3/02
    XLT standard steel wheel on hold until 9/3/02, to be substituted with bright alloy aluminum wheels at no charge
    Moonroof option may delay production by 4 weeks
    the other day. It looks like a large exploder. This design will definately not last.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I drove one over the weekend. My dealer had 3. I agree the look is too Explorer like, but it is starting to grow on me. The ride and steering is light years ahead of the old one. The 3rd seat is wonderful compared to the old one. I was generally impressed. The price was also reasonable given the size and amenities. It was a XLT Premium.
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    This afternoon I stopped by the dealership that sold me my '02 Eddie Bauer to see the '03 models. Sitting out front was the new virtual twin to my model. It was the same color, engine, 2WD, etc. as mine, with the newer one having the reverse sensor warning system. Outside, the major body differences are obvious. I do feel that the door handles and rear gate handle look weak and are prone to break with time. The keyless entry pad has been moved to the glass moulding area, and is smooth. Also, the mirror mounted signal lamps are below the housing, and are several inches long and wedge shaped. Kind of gaudy European style to me. One mirror feature I liked was that when put in reverse, the right mirror automatically lowers to help you spot curbs and objects. Also, when the key TOUCHES the ignition switch, the seat memory activates. The cassette player/CD changer set-up is now an in-dash 6 CD unit with no tape player. The steering wheel adjustment is now more of a column up/down adjustment. The door armrests are flat, not angled. Front seating was different, but comfortable. Rear (middle) seating is totally redesigned, but I did not try it. I checked out the fold flat 3rd seat operation, and it worked smoothly. There is noticeably more 3rd seat foot room, also, due to the dropped floor and independent rear suspension. If you have others using the 3rd seat, it could come in very handy. I happen to leave my seat out for better visibility and less weight. And of course, I had to drive it, so off we went. I took a bumpy, narrow country road for several miles, and then in town driving. Lastly, I hit the highway at 55 mph. All in all, I did not find any drastic differences in ride quality. I even took the bumpy country road when I left, just to compare, and mine was more comfortable. With all of the visual and mechanical changes between the '03 and my '02, I still prefer the '02 I left in. The '03 is nice, but if I had been offered an even trade for my 4000 miler, I honestly would pass. Just my opinion.....
  • gregfockergregfocker Member Posts: 39
    bodyman - you have to be kidding me that you did not notice a difference in ride quality on the 2003! Moving to a four-way independant suspension is one of the biggest changes on the vehicle. I was looking at a 2002 and 2003 and rode them back-to-back on the same test drive course. What a HUGE difference! The 2003 did not bounce up & down or lean side to side nearly as much as the 2002. The steering has completely changed as well and is much smoother and responsive than the 2002's (and earlier).

Everything underneath in the 2003 is much more desirable than the previous Expedition model. The exterior is an entirely different issue. I really don't like the looks of the 2003 Expedition. The style looks good on the smaller Explorer but not on the bigger Expedition. It looks too chunky IMO. I prefer the exterior of the 2002 Expedition and the driveability of the 2003. I opted not to get either...
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    This system does not tell you the pressure in each tire. It displays messages in the message center in the instrument cluster:

"Warning-tire very low" This means put air in one of the main tires right away.

"Check tire pressure" This means tire pressure is a little high or low in one of the main tires.

"Check spare tire pressure" This means tire pressure is high or low in the spare tire.

I don't know what the values are for the different messages. This system is better than that in many cars because it also monitors the spare.
    Like I said, I noticed no "drastic differences" on the route I took. My point being that with the comparisons I made, and the drive I took, I personally prefer the '02. I don't mean to knock the newer model, just noting some changes I found. Regarding the IRS and IFS, I understand the the differences in design. I probably would have appreciated the changes under harsher driving conditions. Again, it is just my opinion. I would like to try the 4WD versions of both, too.
  • gaci1gaci1 Member Posts: 1
    After eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 2003 4X4 Expedition, I must say how disappointed I am in Ford. Although the 2003 Expedition drives and handles so much better then previous models, and I am pleased with the vehicle overall so far, my experience with Ford prior too, and after the sale was very poor if not just bad. Neither Ford or it's dealers knew much about the vehicle or it's arrival date. Nor did they care. Ford still has not resolved their ride height problems, the rear of my vehicle looks like a kids car jacked up in the air and Ford nor the dealer knows what to do.
    It was level when I picked it up from the dealer, but over the last 500 miles something changed. Since there is no Air suspension everyone is perplexed. Unfortunately Ford has put a brake system in the Expedition, that creates brake dust.
    I hate brake dust. What could ford be thinking.
    Here we have a beautiful vehicle that looks dirty all the time because the wheels are black with brake dust. Is it because they are to cheap to engineer a brake system that not only works well, but does not cause brake dust. Besides the fact the black dust looks horrible, how bad is it for our environment ? If I had known before I purchased this 2003 Expedition, about how bad the black dust would be, I would have gone with the Yukon.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford Expedition top-ranked full size SUV per J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Initial Quality Study.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    "Unfortunately Ford has put a brake system in the Expedition, that creates brake dust"

All brakes create dust. Ante up the $40 for brake dust shields.
  • 3dglasses3dglasses Member Posts: 11
    Have you thought about putting ceramic pads in the front (the OEM pads should be ceramic)? They create much less brake dust (base on my experience with other vehicles). They are however a little pricey. Mine were $98 for the front pads at NAPA. I couldn't find ceramics for the rear so I got heavy duty pads ($47). I'll put them in this weeked.

Brake dust is a fact of life. You are stopping a heavy truck.

Also, RE my post about vibrations. It seems my local Tire Kingdom had a broken wheel balancer. I'll go in this weekend to see if rebalancing solves my rear vibration at 40-55 MPH.
  • stang92stang92 Member Posts: 4
    did ford put the turn signal in the mirrors. iam looking to get a 98expy is that a good year to get. thanks
    oldfart_63304, if you want a softer ride, get an Expedition with an air suspension. I drove one without this option and it felt like my pickup truck. When I drive my air suspension equipped Expy the ride is much better.

stang92, the Expedition/F150 changed for 99. If you want to have an Expy with a newer look get a 99+. I myself have a 97 Expedition and a 1998 F150 because I did not want to have the plastic bumper that was installed on 99+. Besides the front bumper, nothing much was changed. But as your username states that you have a mustang dont expect a quick acceleration. I used to have a 1996 GT before this and the Expy is much slower.

It all also depends on the engine choice. As you may already know, there is a 5.4 V8 and a 4.6 V8. I have the 4.6 and can say that it is very reliable. Iam at 101k miles with no problems. Good luck on finding your dream truck.
  • titaniumkraniutitaniumkraniu Member Posts: 1
    I feel the 2003 is too small inside. It's supposed to be "the same" but :

1) I have less headroom/legroom in the back than a 2002 expy.

2) Overall, the 2003 is shorter by 2 inches vs a 2002

3)the trunk base is only 49" when you have rear air vs 54" for a 2002.

also what's up with those cheap silvery handles on the inside?
    It can be added but I dont think that it will be cheap. It might take a lot of work as well. Iam not sure which brands are available but you can check out www.performancewarehouse.com. They may have some of the parts.
    Other brake ideas - Raybestos makes a low dust pad, but as of my last brake job 5 months ago it wasn't available for Expeditions (1999 anyway). I had used them before on my wife's T-bird and they were awesome. Same stopping power, almost no dust.
    The Raybestos ceramic pads that are low dust ("Quiet stop") are available now. They run about $75 at Checkers. They might have to be ordered. I didn't want to wait so I went with the next ones in stock. Still good, but plenty of dust.
  • sterlir1sterlir1 Member Posts: 3
    Picked it up this weekend. Turned in a 3-year lease 4Runner Limited. Toyota's quality is not what everyone says it is. I've talked to two Sienna owners who've had the notorious sludge problems. My '89 4Runner blew the head gasket in 1992. Unfortunately, the recall brouhaha hadn't yet kicked in, so I paid, not 'yota.
    No car company is perfect, but alot of the things in the Expy are very appealing to an expecting couple. Those pedals, everyone should be rushing to get them to market. Why is Ford so far ahead of the pack on this one?
    Anyhow, looking to see what this will be like. I must say, it's a different ride than the old. We don't have the 'air' suspension, couldn't afford an EB, but this rides as well as an LS Tahoe, the only other vehicle we considered after ruling out the Sequoia as too pricey. X-plan price hard to obtain this early, but we got it locally; guess we're lucky. The other 2 dealers would only drop 500 bucks.
    Curiously, all three dealers had T-birds and SVT Lightnings in stock. All nice colors. Surprising.
    Glad to be back, Ford fans.
  • sterlir1sterlir1 Member Posts: 3
    GG007 wrote: It all also depends on the engine choice. As you may already know, there is a 5.4 V8 and a 4.6 V8. I have the 4.6 and can say that it is very reliable. Iam at 101k miles with no problems.

That's good to hear. We plan to keep this until at least as long, since it's so expensive compared to our Accord. Gotta get our money's worth.
  • s76drvrs76drvr Member Posts: 15
    3D Glasses,

Did you cut the rotors when installing the ceramic pads? If not, are you getting any squeal?
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    Has anyone driven the 2003 with a 4.6? Is it adequate?
    Adequate if you don't live in the mountains, haul three passengers regularly, or tow anything heavy. The 5.4 torque curve peaks at a lower RPM than the 4.6, so the smaller engine seems to "come in" at a higher RPM. The 5.4 has more low end grunt, and pulls harder at lower speeds. I have a 4.6 '02, and I have driven the '03 with that engine.
  • boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    I am having problems removing the rear roof rack bar so that I can put my Yakima bars on instead. It looks simple. I lifted the lock down levels, slide the bar all the way to the rear, pressed down on the tabs on the very end of the rails, and tried to slide the bar the rest of the way off. However, once the bar gets 1/2 way over the tab, the tab pops back up and I cannot slide the bar any further.

Does any one know the right way to get the bar off? If it makes a difference I have a 2000 Expedition.
  • jd_ottawajd_ottawa Member Posts: 20
    I drove the new Eddie last night and it's definitely an improvement over last year. I'll be purchasing mine next year so I'll have to be patient.

Fortunately the new 4R75W 5.4 3v (VCT, dual spark plugs, IAFM, ECT with torque based shift, electronic returnless fuel system) will be out (in fall) along with the new 5R100W transmission. New engine is capable of 305 - 325 hp (I hear we will get the 305 which is still an improvement). Torque rated 365-385ft-lbs. New mpg ??

Enjoy the news.
  • rd330ird330i Member Posts: 7
    I have a question for the people on this board
    in regards to the 4.6 engine.
    I own a '99 xlt with the 4.6, according to my research this engine horsepower is listed as 240. It states this in the owners manual and in other sources I have looked.

Is it possible that the '99 4.6L is the most powerful of any of the years?
    My research shows 220hp for 97-98, and 217hp for 2000-2001 and 237hp for 2002-03.
    Can anybody dispute these findings?
    That data is incorrect, the 1997-1998 ford expedition was at 215HP and not at 220. The 1999 was at 240. The 2000 was at 215. The 2001 was at 215. The 2003 was at 232. Iam not sure about the 2003 because I had to get its info from edmunds. Hope that helps.
  • rd330ird330i Member Posts: 7
    I'm curious why Ford messed with the horsepower
    the other years. Did they compensate with increased torque or different rear axle ratios?

Would I feel the difference if I drove a '00 vs. my
    '99 xlt?

Is my resale higher because of the hp for the '99
    year?
    Well, the resale value is not higher because it had more horsepower. It all goes by years and mileage, options. I believe the torque has always been in the 285-295 range with Expeditions. I dont think that you would feel much of a difference. I mean it is a 5000 pound truck. On a mustang I would be saying the opposite.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    a new '03 Expedition XLT, 4x4, 5.4 with the 9-passenger seating (front row bench). It was at a "one-price, no-haggle" dealer; and was priced at just under $33.8K. I believe(?) the MSRP was between $36K and $37K.

The vehicle was simply amazing, especially for a "truck." The IRS did wonders for the ride, and interior packaging; and the rack & pinion steering felt great too.

If Ford can keep this vehicle recall-free, they will have a HUGE hit on their hands.

Bob
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Can we get a consumer report on the efficacy of the 2003 Expedition's optional ventilated seats? Do they really cool the seats appreciably, or are they simply a marketing gimmick?
  • grand6grand6 Member Posts: 12
    Are seats in second (or third) row able to recline?
  • papabear52papabear52 Member Posts: 2
    My '03 was delivered two weeks ago and so far everything is great. To answer a few questions above, the Cooled seats work as advertised. I'm a big guy in a hot climate and they are wonderful. It is a little strange having my rear end chilled but this is definitely something worth getting used to. My only complaint is that the cooling is a little too low on the back, would love to have it reach my shoulders. It is not instant cooling but does begin rather quick. Haven't tried the heat yet. The 2nd row seats do tilt back about 15 to 20 degrees. Third row does not. By the way, get the third row power fold, it's worth the small amount extra. Wish they had it on the second row. No problems so far once I hung my gas card around my neck so it wouldn't take so long to get to. But hey, if you can't pay the piper you shouldn't do the dance.
  • srfullersrfuller Member Posts: 1
    rsholland, where did you buy your '02 Expy?
  • giridgirid Member Posts: 19
    I ordered 5/22 and now they tell me my expy2003 will be ready only the week of July 15th. WHen did you order yours (i.e. how long between order and delivery). Thanks
  • papabear52papabear52 Member Posts: 2
    To make a short story long I suppose "delivered" was the wrong term to use. I did order one on 5/18 and the dealer assured me it would be here by 7/1. Once I found out I was really looking at a 7/15 or so delivery and wanting it prior to that for a trip I had scheduled for the week of 7/8 I went serching other dealerships for the package I wanted. I found one but my dealer wouldn't transfer and keep my "X" plan price. So I wound up working with the other dealer and bought exactly what I had ordered at the same "X" plan price only got it about a month sooner. Had some trouble over the deposit with dealer #1 but got it worked out so everything is OK.
  • stang92stang92 Member Posts: 4
    anyone tell me which online warranty is good i just brought a 99 xlt. the dealer wanted to charge me 2k for for a warranty i told them no way.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I thought ford had developed new diesels to replace the 7.3 powerstrok....4 and 6 liter and a diesel option was coming to the expedition. Any word on this.
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    I am new to the board--Can someone tell or explain to me what the Ford's Plan X is? Thanks for your help.
    The X plan is a discount pricing plan for Ford employees and other affiliated companies. I'm in an affiliated company, and the discount reads as follows "4% above dealer net invoice". I assume the terms for a Ford employee are better than that. For GM our plan price is "4% above GM employee pricing".
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    I have an 2001 Expedition XLT with the prem. sport pk and moonroof, leather loaded. Because of the big deals they are cutting on the 02 Eddie Bauer I am again in the market possibly for one. I have also this time around considered the Toyota Sequoia. Any suggestions???, Opinions
  • expohopefulexpohopeful Member Posts: 1
    I was reading #779 who stated that there was a new engine coming out. I was just wondering when this was going to happen. I have been doing a lot of research on the expedition and that seems to be the only down fall of the expo. I was planing on buying one in august, but maybe waiting now. Also has anyone raed and used the new nav. system, i was just wondering how it work and if worth the money.
  • jd_ottawajd_ottawa Member Posts: 20
    New 5.4 3v due out in fall. Exact time not sure. A new diesel also planned but has been delayed further due to reliability issues. I hear the delay is significant - 2004

A new 5sp auto will also compliment the 5.4. 305 hp and inproved mpg.
  • orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    The wife and I are in the market to replace our 00 XLT lease with the equivalent. Test drove an awful lot with our minds kept open and came back to the Expe. The Sequoia seems like a contender from the outside, but the best I could say is it looked like a Toyota on the inside. Engine really seemed to rev way too much under load. Not a real fan of the Suburban/Tahoe, especially after a test drive. Didn't like the power or the price even with a heafty rebate. Really liked the X5 and RS300, but no third row seat (a must with 3 boys), although BMW's explanation that they feel it's a safety issue having the 3rd in the crumple zone is making me rethink the issue. Is it something you say when your vehicle is too short to add it?

However, all that was out the window after we drove the 03 Expe. The lower floor for the 3rd row seat is a major improvement and well worth it for those of us with boys who will stretch out into men in the next 5 years. We're big safety fans so the safety canopy airbag and rollover sensors are a big plus. I like the 40/20/40 mid row seats and the ride was slightly improved (IMHO). However, I did feel the 4.6 was a little underpowered even though that's what we have in the 00. I like the "art deco" look for the dash and am ready to pull the trigger if the right incentive hits the street. We can get $100 over dealer cost from our preferred dealer, but the one closest to home (in a nicer neighborhood) wanted about $2500 over invoice; about $500 more than a Sequoia that stickered $3k more! It's hard to believe what dealers still try to get away with.

We've been "good deal" lease advocates for about 8 years now, but since everyone jumped on the bandwagon there just aren't any available. There's been some artifically low money factors and residual bumps that have helped us along the way. $419/m with $1k down for a $34k MSRP 00 when it was new! Without the lease deal we've been hoping for a good rebate to match GM's (and Ford's) $2500 on the 02s. Anyone have a guess when Ford will match it for the 03? My guess is they have to do it soon since there really aren't (m)any 02s on the lots now (none in my area) and it will surely cost Ford market share, given that the GM 03s aren't out yet. That can't be a good thing for a new launch. That coupled with the production delays has got to help us out. My dealer thinks first quarter 03 will be the time, at least using traditional thinking, I'm just wondering what everyone else is thinking? I can wait it out if need be, but I'll be checking the Edmunds incentive page daily!
  • davidz28davidz28 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the engine info. I have asked a dealer and I have called Ford directly regarding your information. No one seems to know anything about it. Can you tell us where you got the info? If your comments are true, I would love to have another 35 (or so) HP with better gas mileage!!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I haven't bought one, but the dealer I test drove one at is Miller Brothers Ford, in Ellicott City Maryland, which is about 15 miles west of Baltimore on Rt. 40. They are a no-hassle, one-price dealer.

Bob
  • fordtough2fordtough2 Member Posts: 1
    Great reading these posts, especially on prices folks are paying. Drove the new EB 4x4 2 days ago, and it's vastly improved over my 5.4 '99, which has served me well for 92,000 miles of mountains, freeways, and towing. The new climate controlled seats work well (at least the cooling I tried), the mirrors tilt down for reverse, and the ride is more comfortable while the steering is much tighter - that sway while cornering is significantly reduced. The power fold third row is also going to be much better than hauling that big seat in and out. I've also read some slams here on the new look, and I've got to disagree - I'm ready for a change.

But...I'm having difficulty finding a dealer with a loaded 2003 4x4 EB - everything but the Navigation system is a must, and I'd probably take that if I can get it, in White. I got an e-mail sticker/offer from a dealer, at just below TMV, but then the car "hadn't been delivered to the dealer yet, although it was due in June," so I'm still looking. If anyone knows where I can find one in So. Cal. at a decent price, I'd be obliged.

FYI, since dealers don't seem to know, I called Ford and found out that Tire Pressure monitoring won't be available for months, not sure when, and (despite what some magazine reviews state)air shocks are not identified as an available option -I guess they designed the cut-off switch and the "if equipped" label inside the little door in the left rear panel before they knew they would not offer it. One dealer rep was told by Ford that load leveling is no longer deemed necessary with IRS, as a towed tongue weight of 700-800 lbs should cause minimal squat.