Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• ayeuayeu Member Posts: 41
    To all who have posted comments about Sonata brakes. I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited. What a nice car! Hyundai has given their dealers more flexibility in dealing with brake issues.
  • sonatasuesonatasue Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading with great interest all of your helpful posts. I had my 2006 Sonata LX (approx. 53K miles) inspected less than 2 weeks ago, and it passed just fine. Yesterday I heard an awful noise from the rear passenger side when braking. It doesn't happen every time I brake, but when it does it's just awful. I took it to my mechanic who said the brake pad on that side is worn down and has apparently gouged the rotor a bit. How could that happen in one day? It never made noise before. and, the one on the other side is okay, he said. He recommends replacing pads and rotors on both sides, at a cost of "about" $300.

My question is....not knowing much about cars, and not being able to do the work myself, does this sound like a good solution at a good price? Or, should I just have him replace the pad on the one side, and turn the rotor? And, should I have him use different pads than the original ones? and is there anything else I haven't thought of to ask?
    (Thanks to all of you that I am even able to ask these questions! I have learned so much today!)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That price sounds pretty reasonable IMO. How well do you know and trust this mechanic? If you have had good experience with him, I would go with his advice and replace both sides.

FWIW... who inspected the car less than 2 weeks ago? If I were you, I'd go back to them and explain what happened, and ask for some compensation, i.e. if they had caught the brake problem then, you would not need new rotors today.
    I don't know what state you're in with respect to inspection, but I used to live in PA. I don't recall them pulling all four wheels, only one front and rear, I believe. With disc brakes you can see the amount of remaining brake pad without removing the wheel, so a stuck caliper would not have necessarily been spotted. Don't ever replace only one side. With 53,000 miles are on the brakes I'd replace pads and rotors. I would recommend new rotors because if you turn the old ones, they will be thinner and heat build up could make them more susceptible to warpage than newer, thicker rotors.
    I'm in NY, and they only check the front brakes. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's what they said.
    Thanks everyone for your input!
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2010
    If the car has 'only' 53K miles, and you are the original owner, at least the rotors are covered under the original mfg.s warranty to 60K. There's a specific warranty coverage booklet detailing this (I have it in a .pdf file but don't know how to send it!!).
    Additionally, if you take it to the dealer for inspection or even just an oil chg. they should be on the lookout and recommend what you might need - whether you need it or not - and in 4 season territory brakes would seem a sure bet.
    I had a similar problem with the rear brakes/rotors on my 2007, my dealer service guy who knows that I'm current on Sonata 'issues' replaced the rear brakes twic because of the brake slide issue that cut into the rotors. They just did my 1st front brake job at 49K - which I knew I needed - their standard 'brake service' includes pads, resurfacing rotors, adjusting calipers clean/lube slides for 210$ minus the 20% off web coupon - very fair price I think.
    Can you please do this for us? Open the .pdf document in Adobe Reader, select the text in the document that pertains to rotors, copy it, and paste it into a post here? This is the first I have heard about Hyundai covering a wear item such as rotors outside the 1 year/12k miles "adjustment" warranty, except for the Equus. This would be very useful information for Sonata owners. Thanks!
    Jayess, I would also appreciate that pdf document if you could post it here. Where did you find a 20% off web coupon?
    edited November 2010
    Try this: http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/warranty.pdf

If it doesn't open I can save it to an email attachment so if t ou want to email me at lionhouse at verizon dot net I can send it to you and perhaps you'll know how to do this.
    sonatasue the coupon was on my dealer's website, am in Pittsburgh
  • iggypopiggypop Member Posts: 3
    I read the pdf file, what a joke.
    The problem we are getting is premature wearing of the pads and they say that is not covered, and when the worn out pads cut the rotors, the owner is not doing the proper repairs.
    I remove the brakes and the brackets each time I do tire rotation, regrease the pins and clean all the rust from the pads and brackets so the pads slide easily, about each 5000 miles.
  • jandk98jandk98 Member Posts: 20
    Actually, I may not be describing it correctly. The brake pad caliper on the 07 Sonata can be removed by removing the two bolts that holds it to the bracket. However, the rotor cannot be removed yet because the bracket is still in the way. I need to know how to remove that bracket. This is the first car I've owned in 20 years that needed something more than the caliper to be removed for full access to the rotor.

You mention "just remove the two pad bracket bolts and take the bracket off". Easier said than done, since there is hardly any clearance, as far as I can tell, to the second bolt for the bracket. This bolt has a head that's tucked in behind the vertical support for the wheel assembly. But, if that's the way it has to be done, so be it. I'll figure out a way and save myself the labor cost of somebody else doing it. Please confirm.
    Thanks very much for posting the manual!
  • captseedcaptseed Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    On my 2009 with 37,500 miles the rear brakes needed to be replaced.The dealer found that the rotors in the rear were 2 different sizes and were put on this way at the factory. They found that one was for a 4 cylinder and the other was for a 6 cylinder car. They are replacing the 2 rotors and the wrong caliper that was with the wrong size rotor. The front brakes are still good. When I asked it having the wrong brakes in the rear could cause them to wear out faster I as told no that the Sonata rear brakes tend to wear out faster then the front. This dose not sound right to me as usually the fronts wear out first.
    Dose any one know if the pads are different sizes. I could not get a straight anwser from the dearler.
    The dealer want to charge me $270 for the brake job but not for the wrong parts. I beleave if the 4 cylinder brakes pads are smaller they could wear out faster then normal. My car is a 6 cylinder which called for the larger rotor and calipers
  • captseedcaptseed Member Posts: 2
  • trimtree68trimtree68 Member Posts: 1
    I have excessive rear brake wear on my 09 Sonata. Any insites on how to handle with the dealer. Something has to be wrong in the system since the fronts are only 50% worn. The car has 28000 miles on it.
    Thanks
    Trimtree - I had problem with my '07 after only 11 months. At the end of last year I bought a 2011 Sonata Limited. Before I bought it the service mgr. told me Hyundai has given them "more latitude" in dealing with premature brake problems. An '09's brake wear could be normal after two years. 28,000 miles in two years indicates a lot of local driving, therefore a lot of stops. Why back before front? Who knows?
  • saint_judesaint_jude Member Posts: 9
    The front breaks are the workhorse of your breaking system, and your rear breaks should be nowhere near worn down yet with only 28K miles. The company knows there is an engineering problem with the rear breaks in these models, but they refuse to recall anything. I'm surpsied they are getting such high ratings. Anyway, I had my rear breaks changed out twice under warranty because, ON MY CAR, the problem was that the calipers' "shim kit" stuck on only one side, and only one pad was wearing down. On the rear, there are four break pads--two on the outside and two on the inside of each wheel. All the break pads should wear evenly, but because the parts were rusting and sticking, only one pad was extremely low. It might have been dangerous had I ignored the squeaking, and I almost did because I knew it was too early for my rear breaks to be gone at 35K miles. I had to fight with them about it the first time, but then when the same problem happened within another 25K miles, they gave me no hassle. Don't let them talk you out of it. In my opinion, the problematic break parts should all be recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    honda/acura had a class action suit for immature brake wear. The settlement was $150.00 when you submit the correct paper work within a certain period of time showing the brakes had been replaced. I do not know the reason but rear brakes seem to be wearing down more quickly than front brakes. My mom own a honda accord that needed to have the brakes replaced numerous times due to stop and go driving. I do mostly highway driving so the brakes on my cars last longer. I now own a 06 acura tsx, bought new 11/06. I recently had the brakes measured. The fronts were 8 and the rears 6. Still good after 121,000+ miles.
  • saint_judesaint_jude Member Posts: 9
    Thank you very much for your information. I will contact them as I feel certain they will be interested in a 2007 Sonata that has had the rear breaks changed out twice within 55K miles due to faulty parts. I just hope someone does something about this before anyone gets killed. I could hardly hear the squeaking on my breaks when a mechanic told me the one side was so bad that the breaks might have failed if I had waited any longer.
  • hatemycar3hatemycar3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 hyundai sonata and it has 33k on it and one day i had horrible noise from right rear break. This was the first time I heard the noise, The next day it continued to make the noise and my friend took off wheel and checked it. The brakes were completely gone and rotars ruined after only a day with the it making the noise. I am trying to figure out how to approach the dealership with this because they have refused to fix any of the problems with my car so far always saying the things that it does are normal. Not sure how to approach it and get them fixed. I am so frustrated with this car it is the biggest piece of junk.
  • averuss67averuss67 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem!! I hate my car as well!!! I have a 2009 sonata that i purchased in Feb 2011 and had to get the back breaks and rotors changed in May 2011... and just this weekend i started hearing that grinding noise again and now have to get them changed again and it's only been 2 months.... There is definitely a problem with this vehicle and the rear breaks. Also the break sensor light never came on giving me any indication that the breaks were wearing down... I'm calling my car loan lending company and telling them that I was sold a lemon and see if they are willing to help... The dealership acts like it's a normal issue but if I was told that i would need to get my breaks changed every two months i would not have brought this vehicle!!!!!!!! MAD AS HELL!!!!
  • iluvmymitsuiluvmymitsu Member Posts: 5
    If you want to find lawyers interested in a class action, google the words "Hyundai Sonata Brake Defect Matter" and click into the first result.
  • kp923kp923 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    We own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 37K miles, the majority of which are highway miles. The other day my husband left for work only to return a few minutes later saying he heard a grinding noise coming from the back passenger side. He stopped driving it until we could take it to the dealer because we figured whatever was going on should be covered under the warranty. The dealer checked it out and said we needed new brakes and rotors and the cost would be $599. That seemed unreasonably high so we took it to the mechanic we have been using. He looked at it and said that the brakes and only the rotor on the right side needed to be replaced, the cost being $299. He also discovered that the caliper on the right side was sticking and stated that it may be defective. He said we should think about replacing the caliper or we will be having this problem again. The calipers would be an additional $300. Funny how that is the same cost the Hyundai dealer was going to charge without replacing the calipers. My husband called the dealer and told him what was found and also asked why the price would be so different. The dealer got pissed and said they, the dealer, use better materials. He also stated that when they inspected the car there was no problem with the caliper. By the way, the dealer charged me $49 to look at my car and I believe lie to me about the caliper issue. I will never have work done at Hyundai.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    In their(the dealer) defense, they were right about using better materials. They would have used Hyundai parts on your car where as your mechanic would use parts from a parts store(Napa or Autozone). Being a mechanic, he should know to never replace just 1 rotor, both should be replaced in pairs even if only one is worn. A sticking caliper may not have needed replacement, rather just lubricated which the dealer would have done. Calipers are normally not replaced unless they seize up, if they just stick than lubricating them should free them up to operate as designed.
    edited August 2011
    I wouldn't consider Hyundai materials superior under the circumstances, it is their materials that are prematurely failing. I think everyone who is having this problem would agree with me, something is defective with these parts.
    Where do you live? If you live in one of the snowbelt states than you are going to have a problem with the brakes. If you live in the South like I do, you shouldn't have a problem with brakes for at least 50k miles depending on your driving habits. I have an 06 Sonata LX V6 and changed my front brake pads at 54k miles, now have 81k miles on car and still haven't touched rear brakes.
    I do live in the midwest and based on what I've read on the internet and have experienced thus far, I am going to have problems with my"Hyundai" brakes. I have a 2005 Toyota Camry and during recent routine maintenance had my back brakes checked and they are still going strong despite going through six midwest winters. Count yourself lucky that you live in the south, and if you ever drive up north in the winter don't use your Hyundai.
    I did to Ohio on 2 occassions, but that was 5 years ago. Now when we go to see the in-laws we use the minivan.
    Where do you live? If you live in one of the snowbelt states than you are going to have a problem with the brakes.

I must be an exception then. My 2007 Sonata still has the original brakes at 53k miles and last time they were checked they had a lot of life left. I have the sliders lubed whenever the brakes are checked, about once a year. The car has been driven in the snowbelt (WI and MN) its entire life.

I also wash my cars frequently in the winter to get the salt off. I think that helps, in a number of ways. Maybe it helps the brakes also.
  • jimbo5173jimbo5173 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same issue the rear breaks are wearing out especially on the outboard side of the pads. I have a 2008 Santa Fe. The rear passenger side wore out in 2010. The other side in 2011. The front ones seem to be okay. But the tire wear on the rear wheels is significant. There should be a recall issued for this problem. I replaced both sides already.
  • zimmanzimman Member Posts: 1
    Lashawn , What do i use to lubricate the Calipers . My daughter's 2009 Sonata just started experiencing the same grinding noise symtoms as discussed here on this post . Also, with only 45000 miles , if the brake work is needed .. is it a warranty issue?
    Thanks
    Steve
    No it's not warranty, wear and tear. Typically on most vehicles that's about the right mileage brakes start to wear down, also depends on driver braking habits. You should expect to pay no more than $240.00 to have pads replaced, rotors resurfaced and calipers greased/lubed. If you plan on doing it yourself make sure you buy some lubricated brake grease, any parts store will know what your're talking about.
  • kennybgcckennybgcc Member Posts: 1
    I'm an owner of a 2007 sonata and from day one my back brakes have been a big dissapointment. When I first heard the high pitched noise at 15,000 miles to took my car into the dealiership they said that nothing was wrong and it was in my head. I let them know what I thought. I don't know how many times I have change my back brakes but I still have not change the front ones yet. I still have 30% let on the front ones. If you own a sonata BEAWARE I just change my back brakes two weeks ago and yesterday a grind could be heard from them again I inspected them only to found my driver side inside pad was completely worn off. And the outside pad was dust which happens at very high temps. Look at my brakes my drum must of keep on pushing and worn out the brake pads. I'm shock to see how many others have had the same issues only for the dearliership's to say not our fault.
    Here is the easy solution I'm buying another car and you can bet it will not be a Hyundai
  • luigi6luigi6 Member Posts: 1
    My mother's 2009 Sonata needs rear pads at 25,000. The dealership gave me the same mumbo-jumbo about rust, etc. and tried to tell me that mileage was the norm for rear brakes. You have to be a real theif to be a service writer. They quoted me $290 for the rear pad job and said it wouldn't need any rotor grinding as i had caught it in time. I was getting the same grinding sound with turning the wheel to the left as I drove and also at start up I would get the same. I took it to my regular mechanic and they quoted me $220. My Mom is pretty conservative and bought the Sonata because of the warranty. She thought she could keep this car longer with the long warranty. She now wants to dump this car as soon as possible after reading the previous posts.
  • jandk98jandk98 Member Posts: 20
    Wow. If you can do your own brakes, the rear pads are a cinch to change, and they're cheap. The job only takes me an hour and $50, and that's probably rounding up. And 25k miles sounds right, I think. FYI, I get a grinding-while-turning noise in my 07 Sonata every once in a while. This is from the pads getting hung up in the slides. If the dealer "fixes" it, they just take everything apart and clean it all really well, so I now do this myself. Easily the hardest part of a brake job on my Sonata is removal of the front rotors, which I still have not attempted (there's a bolt is a real tight spot).
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I had an 08 Accord and got rid of it because it ate back brakes for breakfast. I don't know if you all will buy this story but it made the most sense to me. Ever since cars have had electronic stability control people have complained about back brakes wearing very fast. Well someone on the Honda forum suspected the electronics were pulsing his back brakes every time he went around a corner. Makes sense to me but who knows. Honda blamed bad parts Hyundai blames bad parts maybe its really the dreaded electronic glitch. Just a thought and I am sure the experts will chime in.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    edited October 2011
    Not an expert on the matter but it is my opinion that older cars (pre 2000 anyway) had rear brakes that never wore out because they mostly went along for the ride and contributed very little to actual stopping whereas the fronts did most of the work. Now there is a brake proportioning system in play that distributes braking force more evenly between front and rear therefore it stands to reason that if the rear brakes are now being actually asked to help stop the car they WILL wear out at roughly the same rate as the fronts. Additionally, the change in pad materials that is now mandated because asbestos has been removed (a good thing) has affected brake pad/shoe life. I have a friend who owns and operates a small garage and he has seen brake pad life both before and after the change in materials. He swears brakes do not last as long as before and has to field complaints such as these from his customers. These observations are from regular customers whose cars he serviced before and after the removal of asbestos. So, all these small but important changes have, in my opinion, caused rear brakes to wear quicker now.
  • bbird2bbird2 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure when you think the change-over in materials happened but I suspect it's been quite some time ago. With that in mind I have a 2002 Mazda Protege with 103,000 miles and about 50% of the original brake pads left (4-wheel disk) in both the front and rear as of about six months ago. This is per a shop inspection. I live in missouri and we get plenty of road salt. So I would beg to differ with people stating that 25,000 is normal. I have had the same type of car from Mazda for the last 20 years and the brakes are always long lived. For what it is worth I think there must definately be an engineering problem with the car. This whole web sight has made me rethink what kind of car i will get next at the end of this year. Should have been a slam dunk with a sanata but not anymore. I don't feel like dealing with some moron who says this is all normal. Been there done that.
    I have an '07 GLS with almost 58K miles. At 49.5K miles I had the front brakes replaced by my Hyundai dealer so they also resurfaced the rotors, serviced the calipers and slides. Since that time when I'm braking or turning at a slow speed I hear a clanking or clattering sound from the front brakes, similar to the sound a CV joint makes when it's in need of replacement. It has no adverse impact on the car's ability to stop. I've had it in to the dealer, they've heard it but can't identify what is causing it. They've also taken the brakes apart and said everything seems to be OK, just keep listening to see if it goes away. It hasn't. Taking the car in next week for inspection and mentioned to my service writer trhat it's still there when I made the appointment - said they'll look at at. Anyone have any idea what it might be?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Yes, it has been some time since the US government banned asbestos from all commercial use and yes, I still maintain that the alternative materials might not last as long but in the end the length of time anything lasts depends on the consumer and their driving habits, good or bad. I just spoke with my sister who lives on the west coast in Portland and inevitably I asked her about her car...long story short, she mentioned she just had to replace the brakes on her 2003 Elantra (a Hyundai product you will notice) at 167,000 miles. When I expressed amazement she said she always downshifts to slow the car (manual transmission). For the record I NEVER got anything remotely near this type of mileage but I have an automatic and routinely drive in the mountains, so is my car defective...I don't think so. So is 25K normal for some? probably.
  • joe1995joe1995 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am an owner of 2010 Sonata, which ran for just 30,000 miles. Recently, I noticed that during braking (from any speed above 20 mph), there is a sligtly shock or chattering (from breaking system) when the speed reduces to about 20 mph (especially when is car is cold). When the car is warm up or run for a while, this shocking or chattering becomes smaller. When this spedd is below 20 mph, the braking is smooth. I brought this car to the dealer, and they did not find any mechanic issues with the brake pads or rotors. Does anyone have similar experience? How to fit it?

Regards!

Joseph
  • mac121mac121 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you on the proportioning system as part of the reason for increased rear pad wear. I also think that electronic stability control plays its part, however the design engineers are at fault as well. By not increasing the size of the friction surface for the rear pads to equal the front, it stands to reason that smaller pads, asked to do the same work as the larger fronts, would wear faster. In this case "SIZE DOES MATTER".
    Finally had a chance to leave my '07 overnight at the dealer, they drove it around the parking lots and then on the road ultimately duplicating the noise when turning right/left. They think they've found the source of the problem, worn out bushings on the struts which they're replacing under warranty. Hopefully this corrects the problem, we'll see.
  • chrrmurpchrrmurp Member Posts: 24
    Wondering if this was ever fixed for you. I am having same issue. Also, how many miles do you have on your car? Did they fix under 100k warranty? Thanks
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited March 2012
    target: We have a number of vehicles and have tried to buy those with larger brake rotors front and rear after a cadillac dealer clued us in to "big brakes" or cars with larger rotors and therefore pads. Those cars dissipate heat faster with the larger surface area relative to others of similar weight.
    The 2012 Sonata GLS we have had for 3 months has good size rotors all around so pad life should be average or better. Big heavy truck with small
    rotors and pads seems destined to wear quickly esp. with poor driver.
    Mileage at 2700 miles and the last tankful was 272 miles and 11.33 gallons for 24.0 MPG (computer readout 25.3 or 5% higher with all city driving). Our city includes lots of limited access roads that maximizes FE and limits S&Go.
    24 vs 18 on old car gives us a 33% reduction in gas usage in town. Good car!
  • schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    2007 Sonata owner here, had persistent problem with rear brake rotor/pads.
    Many others apparently have this problem, as evidenced on this board and
    this class action suit for 2006-2010 Sonatas in New York. See this link
    http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews.com/class-action-lawsuit-complaints/hyundai-- sonata-brake-pad-rotor-caliper-class-action-lawsuit-complaint/

We first heard squeaky noise coming from the rear, took it to dealership (24k mi). They said it's rust, and worn pads damaging the rotor, so rotor/pads needed replacement, no warranty! Same problem a year later. They fought tooth and nail to AVOID warranty repair. It's rust blah blah, you pay for it! It's plain for me to see that it's a design flaw, but Hyundai USA/dealers won't admit it.

I am thinking of taking action contacting state consumer protection and also possible legal action. Just researching now how to get started.
    Honda/acuras had a brake problem which caused a class action suit. End result a reimbusement of $150.00 after buying new brakes and. Sending receipt and some form. To Honda.
  • bobby1000bobby1000 Member Posts: 1
    My Hyundai Sonata only has 22,400 miles on it (well within the warranty) and the rear brakes froze and burned up. After braking, the whole wheel assembly became red hot and the extreme overheating resulted in burned pads and a warped rotor. The overheating was caused by the assembly being locked in a braking condition and not releasing. This was due to a DEFECTIVE POORLY ENGINEERED part.

I asked Hyundai to be reimbursed for my repair based on the fact that the braking parts were defective and prematurely failed. It was NOT a case of wear and tear or misuse or accident. I always have the car maintained by professional shops and I had the entire car, including brakes, inspected at 20,000 miles. The brake pads and rotors were good at 20K. I have never had a car develop brake problems at 22,000 miles! This was definitely a case of defective or poorly engineered parts.

Here is Hyundai's response: "We have received all of the necessary documentation we needed in order to determine your request for reimbursement. Unfortunately, upon further review of the submitted documents and your Sonata's warranty, we will not be able to assist with the cost of the repair. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

I will never own another Hyundai! They don't back up their product. That's probably why there is a class action lawsuit in New York over this exact problem. Maybe we should file one in Ohio.
  • schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    Be persuasive and persistent. In my case, I documented all the service record and complaint in writing. Hyundai sent my case to their district rep who decided to cover the parts under "goodwill" repair.

If you had your repair done at a Hyundai dealer, you might want to start with the service manager to convince Hyundai to repair under warranty. But be prepared, they would kick you like a football to avoid doing that.
    depends on the dealer and the service manager. The hyundai dealer we use has an excellent service manager. He goes out of his way to make things right. We have dealt with him for almost 10 years now.