Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber Engine Problems

Comments

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    There isn't much else you can do. Hopefully you can find a better dealer. Good luck.
  • dat1026dat1026 Member Posts: 3
    We have been having the same issue with our 08 caliber. Has been in the dealer several times but they can not get it to duplicate the stalling so they will no do anything. We have 20000 miles on ours now and this has been going on for almost a year. I have contacted Chrysler still waiting on the response team to get back to us. We are ready to push it off a cliff. Dealer told me last time that he had another customer that was having the same issue, but this time he recanted that statement and said he never told me that so I think there is something that they dont want us to know about these cars.
    You listed email is not any good, can you provide me with a correct one. My email is JD415@comcast.net. I just poste the reply above
  • anigle2010anigle2010 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if anyone has used the lemon law for their dodge caliber. i have had to get an alternator . And it was after the warranty expired. I had to get the hatchback door fixed. they replaced the latch and it still won't open. I work to jobs and haven't had time to take it back yet., I got stuck on my street in the snow storm this past Saturday. I drove back and forth and the check engine light came on. i have had older used cars and the engine light doesn't come on as much as with the caliber. The two years years that i've had it it always started except when I had to gewt a new battery. yet, a car this new shouldn't have this many problems.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    I have went thru the process of taking my caliber to the dodge service station to have it fixed several times (see my previous post), however, they always say "can not dupilcate". So i did all the steps the "lemon law" required. They denied my claim TWICE (not to mention i would email them EVERYDAY) and told me there was nothing they could do. They never responded via mail, which was suppose to happen; i had to call up myself to see the status of my claim. I got so tired of their BS i traded in my car. It was either my sanity and my family's life (car was stalling at random) or me trading in my car. I too my chance and now I'm happy driving a Honda CRV. I have mention in this forum if anyone wants to sue we should all get together and do this. No one has ever responded. The car company's are just taking out money and giving us junk and the governments are allowing them to do so.
    I am having the same issue with Chrysler and the Lemon Law. They will not help me because the dealer can not duplicate the stalling issue. Please email me at my personal email JD415@comcast.net. I would like to discuss this with you and see what we might be able to do.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    The Lifetime Warranty was always for the original owner only and non transferable and not a secret.

Sorry to hear about your problems because I wanted one of these and in Consumer Reports they have an average repair rating, the best for any of Chrysler's offerings
  • ashleigh01ashleigh01 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the RT model in Sept. of '08 only slightly used.
    The dealership told me that when it came off of the truck the engine was bad so it was replaced. It had almost 400 miles on it when it was bought. Since I've had the car, I've had to buy FIVE new tires for it (and tires for this car are NOT cheap. $120 easy.), new break pads, a rotor and yesterday was the worst of all...my engine blew up with a little over 40,000 miles on it. LUCKILY mine still has a warranty. Also, my console latch broke and the compartment above my glove box won't hold itself up.
    No wonder the prices of them dropped tremendously. Very cheaply made.
  • chenita_reidchenita_reid Member Posts: 1
    I hear a whinning noise also in my tranmission when I start my car up. It stops after driving it for 2-3 hours. I can stand to hear it so I tried turning up my radio and still hear it. I brought my car in January 2010. I have not heard of this kind of noise in almost new car. I brought a 2003 Outlander which is a 3 year old car when I brought and I never heard or had trouble with that . I missed that car. I was in accidient with it and total loss it. When i saw ths Dodge and drove it it seem like a great car until a month later. If there is a suite let me know.
  • frbutt2921frbutt2921 Member Posts: 2
    I think I'm having the same noises. Did you find out for sure what the issue is? I agree with you the best mechanical fix for this car is probably to take advantage of your GAP insurance.
  • robo0702robo0702 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Have the same problem (2008 sounds like a diesel) did you get your resolved?
  • rnicolernicole Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 dodge caliber and it started stalling about 3 months after I bought it. I have taking to the dealer several times. It is actually at the dealer now and they told me that is how the engine was made. If you go 75 - 80 mph for a period of time the car will stall, it shows it is running hot when it actually isnt. I drive alot and the speed limit is 75 on alot of freeways I take so it will take my hours to get to my destinantion. I am really frustrated with this car. I was reviewing the lemon law and Breach of Warranty (BOW) claim

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/autos/is-your-car-a-lemon-heres-what-to-do/196- 30137/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec3_lnk3%7C171374

From what I have read it seems like alot of people who have blogged may have a case. Even if they cannot duplicate the problem there is definitely a problem in general. And this vehicle is a safety hazard. I am considering taking legal action. If anyone is interested in joining suit please let me know. Or if anyone has similar issues please let me know. My email is caliberproblems@gmail.com.
  • jen54jen54 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe we should get a commercial going where people can call in if they have a problem with the Dodge Caliber for a Group Lawsuit (kind of what people are doing with Accutane and Yaz). I'll try to pay attention to the commercials for the law firm grou that is putting these adds together.
  • jen54jen54 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else been told by a dealer not turn your car off (or take key out of the ignition) if it stalls because the computer information in the car will lose code information? Maybe we should contact the law firm that does the commercials on TV for Group Lawsuits for complaints against Accutain and Yaz. We can do one for the Dodge Caliber.
  • bones70bones70 Member Posts: 1
    hello the car lot i work for has one i fixed the problem, in the back seat under is the acsses for the fuel pump check the pigtail to your fuel pump might not have good contact in the plug, o and the rattleing noise is two things i fuond out to be the pulleys,timming chain tensioner it about 50.00 at th dealer hope this helps
  • blaquedymond38blaquedymond38 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this 2007 hott mess of a car Dec 20th 2009. it had 35,000 miles on it wheni bought it. a few weeks later i took it back to San francisco Ford where i got it from and told them i heard a noise coming from the engine. they claimed they too it for a test drive and did not hear anything. a few weeks later i called again and told them i heard it getting a little louder of a rattling sound. They told me that their should not be anything wron with an almost still new car. now that i has been about 10 months it now sounds like i have a truck instead of a little car. i have had a few people look at it and some think it was a pulley others the water pump. im lost and anygry. please let me know if you find out what your noise it. We need to start a class action law suit in all acutality. then maybe they will stop taking advantge of consumers
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    I have told ppl that we all need to band together and do a class action against them. I posted the same issues I was having with my 2007 on this site. I too had the same problem plus some. Ever since the 1st week the car gave me headaches and literally made me sick with all the issues i was having. The service dept could never duplicate or solve the problem. The lemon law also sucks. They denied my claim twice and never contacted me to tell me. By the time someone did decide to pay attention I had already traded in my car. I hated the fact that someone else would have to deal with the car, if they purchased it, but I had to take the loss and trade the car in before I loss my mental state and even more money.
  • kevin8001kevin8001 Member Posts: 1
    I jsut had my sisters 07 caliber in the dealer and they told her that the ticking noise is because #4 cylinder is loosing compression.. ive been around the car business for a long time and well her car only has 58,000 miles on it and this shouldnt happen. they want to tear the engine down and replace #4 piston and rings and hope that fixes the problem. like anyone has thousands of dollars to throw at a car.. check the compression and see what happens..
  • lucyslucys Member Posts: 1
    So i am having the same problem with the stalling issues... Its seem like everytime it rains or if im at a stop taking my foot slowly off brake it shacks and then it stalls. When i brought it in the first time they said it was a upgrading issue ( it was after 9 months having the car..and it needed to be upgraded...i dont get it) the second,third all the way up to 8 times bringing my car back to the dealer... they tell me it was normal and it happens with all of there cars...( hes words exactly "my wife has this car and it shacks all the time thats normal) P.S. im a girl and i know they were just bullshitin me because they think i dont really know anything.. I tried calling head office but they dont help with anything.. So now im stuck with this stupid car and i will probably trade it in because i dont know what else to do.
  • caliberwoescaliberwoes Member Posts: 3
    I have the same noise in my engine have had it since 40,000 km does any one know what it is also I have a flucuation in my rpms at Idle Dodge doesn't seem to think the knock is a problem
  • calibermomcalibermom Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 07 Caliber SXT a little over a year ago. It only had one owner and was at 31000 miles. When I test drove it and even for about a month after I bought the car, no troubles at all. Then I start to hear a rattle. I cannot tell where it is coming from and I hear some complaints about welding issues? Also, I had an issue one day where I started my car and I noticed the electronic throttle control light was on. When I tried to drive it, it would sputter and I could only go about 10 feet and the car would stop on its own. I called my dealer. He told me to shut the car off, leave it off for about 30 seconds and restart the car. There was not a problem after that as far as that goes, but I didn't pay good money for my first newer vehicle to have it do crap like this. Then sometimes when I take off it there is a creaking noise that comes from the front left (driver) side. Now when I start the car, and only when I start the car and its cold and only lasts for a few mins, there is this metal on metal knocking sound and it is very loud. What in the world is going on? I love my Caliber and I don't want to get rid of it, but I can't afford to keep having issues with it. I want some input before I take it in and let someone touch it. :confuse:
  • calibermomcalibermom Member Posts: 2
    I too have this issue and forgot to mention it in my complete list of crap going wrong, but have you found out what it is yet? My kids' dad told me it was normal, I said he was nuts. That is not normal. My fluctuation usually only happens when I have the heat or air on but when I shut it off, nothing!!! If you have found the issue please let me know.
  • momof3catsmomof3cats Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Caliber. I have had it for 3 years tomorrow. Just since Nov. 20th 2010 when it rains the passenger side, back seat floor area, fills with water. I thought we found were the water is coming in from and filled and covered the area. This last rain over the weekend put water in the car. Does any know of any issues like this and how was it fixed. Please help.
  • txmom4txmom4 Member Posts: 1
    While in LA, four hours from home, our 2007 Caliber died. It turned over once & then smoke came out of the engine block, next the electrical went. It had just started making a horrible knocking sound which can only be described as sounding like a diesel as someone else put it. We had it looked at & was told it had something to do with a belt but, would be ok for this trip. Now it's stuck in Shreveport & I am really hesitant to have it towed to a dealership because I'm afraid of being overcharged since we're from out of state. Since others have had the same noise, has anyone found out what this knocking could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • caliberednotcaliberednot Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Caliber since the beginning in 2007. I have been in the shop numerous times. I've replaced the PCM at least 3 times and the throttle body keeps going to no resolve. I have now had to replace a coil in my engine as a piston isn't firing right or something. I also have had to replace the tie rods and ball joints in the front. My first problem was a water leak too. I called Chrysler dodge headquarters with the number the dealership gave me and they said, putting complaints on the internet does nothing. They haven't heard one complaint yet. They told me that you Caliber owners need to contact the National Highway Transportation Safety Authority. These are the people that make recalls. If the throttle body keeps going, it is wrecking the pistons and getting the gears stuck and sounding like a diesel engine. I now also replaced my clutch. Its possible that the throttle body was the problem causing the clutch to go too. Please complain to the NHTSA. This problem is similar to the stuck gas pedal. Its going top cause accidents and result in lawsuits.
  • caliberednotcaliberednot Member Posts: 2
    complaint for is here its simple. http://www.nhtsa.gov/
  • stranger7stranger7 Member Posts: 1
    Just got the same trouble Jan 29. Check Engine start flashing.
    Towed my car to Dodge dealer... Bought it in CA, but now I'm in Phoenix.
    Will see what they are should say...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Once is sufficient, caliberednot - we have rules against spamming where the same post is repeated excessively.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • momsboy12momsboy12 Member Posts: 2
    i just got a 08 dodge caliber 2.0L and theres a ticking sound coming from the engine, is that normal?? and when im sitting and a stop light and the car is in Drive theres a engine rumble the whole car rumbles, is that fixable??
  • armywife10armywife10 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Caliber. It has around 75,000 miles on it. It's an automatic, but seems to be having similar problems. If the weather is cold or rainy, the car shutters and shuts off when I am in reverse. The check engine light will kick on and off. We've had it looked at several times and they keep informing us it's the fuel sensor. Each time, we have replaced the sensor and it's still doing this. More recently however, there is a knocking noise that is coming from the engine. This only happens when I first start the car. After the engine is warm, the knocking stops. I've had several people say it almost sounds like a rod knocking. Does anyone have any recent information about the problems with these calibers?
  • knockonwood007knockonwood007 Member Posts: 1
    dont know if u fixed your problemwith the ticking. I too have a 07 caliber with the ticking sound. it was my altenator pulley. so i switch out the whole altenator and it was fixed. my new issue with the car is sometimes it is slow to start as well as when driving the interior lights especially the ones on my gauges flicker. It seems like it is losing power or there is shortage of power. Can anyone help!!!!! TY!!
  • jen_mike2012jen_mike2012 Member Posts: 1
    Took 2010 Caliber in for a recall on the gas gage and was told that there was a crack in the frame inbetween the driverside front and passanger door. I was then told that it was from hitting a pot hole and that it would not b covered under the warranty. Mind you, I bought this car at the end of April in 2010. But because there is 30,000 miles on it, the warranty was voided. So, instead of allowing me to pay to get it fixed, they forced me into a 2011 Dodge Caliber and stuck with the payments for it. Not sure what to do. I reside in SC and we don't see to many pothols around here for it to crack my frame, especially inbetween the doors on the driverside. If I would have hit a pothole, I would have had to break something else like the axil rod, etc...
    Any suggestions on what to do???????
  • kabannahkabannah Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007. I am at about 72,000 miles. My engine light comes on and I go to have it checked and they also tell me it is the fuel sensor and I did not tighten my fuel cap tight enough. When I drive in the city I hear the knocking noise but if I am on the highway it goes away. I do not know what to do. Have you gotten any information on this?
  • bearschtbearscht Member Posts: 1
    So I bought my 07 Caliber in Jan 08. I have had no problems with it until about a month ago. I was taking my boys to school and the check engine light came on, I took it to a garage and had their computer hooked up to it. They told me it needed a tune-up and that spark plug #3 was misfiring. I was told that it would be alright to drive it. Shortly after being told this, a couple hours later, there was a terrible knocking coming from my engine. I took it to another garage and was told the same thing about it needing a tune-up and was told that should fix it. I changed out the spark plugs and replaced the pcv valve and still had a nasty knock. The knock seemed to get worse in 2nd or 3rd gear than when it was just idling. The today, to make my day just wonderful, I went to start my car and it refused to start. Had the battery checked and found it was dead. While checking the battery (they keys were not in the ignition in fact they were not even in the car) the auto door locks were trying to activate. At this point the battery cables were NOT connected to the battery. After cleaning the terminals and reconnecting the cables, tried to start it to see if maybe there was just a bad connection, and the windshield wipers came on, but no one touched the switch for them. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I am worried if I put a new battery in these possessed car it will fry the new battery as well.
  • kebatchokebatcho Member Posts: 1
    Okay so my caliber was having engine issues. It would start up but all the lights inside would start flashing and would get up to 25-35 mph and then just die on me. When I took it in to the local dodge dealership they told me that the ECM and harness is what needs to be fixed. They said the ECM was covered under warranty but the harness would be 1100$ to fix because it looked like it had been soldered in attempt to fix it. The car has never been in the hands of someone who "knows about cars" always a professional and the only thing I've ever had done to it was a new battery and to have it looked at for this problem. Has anybody else had this problem with the harness and if so what did you do to keep from having to pay that much money to get it fixed. They said that they could replace the ECM but with out fixing the harness it would just burn through another ECM and create more problems. It was bought brand new in florida by my dad and then given to me in 09' and has been used but not enough to create a huge problem like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated :confuse: .
  • dlatinidlatini Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2007 Dodge Caliber. When my knocking engine noise started, it was around 75000 miles. I have had it to the garage several times for that. Well, when it comes back with no answers, there is always something new. I now have a flashing check engine light when we first start the car and when it is completely stopped. The light when hooked to a computer says that it is a Cylinder #2 Misfire. It was suggested to change the plugs and ignition coils so I did that. Still having issues. Just got it back from the garage and they say that they still do not know the issue. Any suggestions would be great. Ready to get rid of this car but it is almost paid for.
  • amster1amster1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 caliber, has been great until this morning. I went to start it and it acted like it was gonna start then didn't. The engine light then came on but it started after the 2nd attempt. Now It will not gain speed. I can floor the gas pedal and it literally takes several minutes just to get up 10 mph. I don't know much about cars but 10 mph flooring the gas is not normal. Any thoughts on what it might be cuz I don't wanna go to a dealership with no direction, I'll get way screwed outta my money that way. :sick:
  • keykey0886keykey0886 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any problems with the 2008 dodge calibers catching on fire. I was driving mines as normal down the highway... it only had 90k miles on it.. all of a sudden i start seeing smoke coming from the cigertte lighter... next thing i know the smoke turn into fire and lucky i pulled off the road into a rest area and yelled for help got out the car and the whole caliber burn up... what would you do in a situation like this .. because im thinking about going agaisnt dodge but its so hard for me to find a lawyers.. bc they only want to help people that has been injuryed and no one was hurt. As far as insurance goes they tried to get me and say i wasnt covered and i could have sworn i signed up with direct depsoit but they have no records of it and i check my last stated and no money had came out.. so i understand i may be still stuck paying off a car, also i contact dodge to have them come look at the car and they told me since there wasnt a recall on my model and the car fax was good wasnt nothing for them to do about what happen... but i feel like this if i havent had no mechanical work dne to this car nothing like this should happen.. everything in this car is factory... can someone help me out here
  • keykey0886keykey0886 Member Posts: 2
    when u get a change read my post and let me know what u think i should do
  • rikki1rikki1 Member Posts: 1
    I had this issue with my 2002 KIA. I was driving home and the power door locks went up and down by themselves the whole drive. I had to boost the car frequently as the battery would not hold a charge. A new alternator fixed the problem. However I also had a bad ground.
    Drawing to much power without charging causes issues with battery and alternator. (ie using the chill zone or stereo while the engine is not running at the beach for the day)
    The issue with my car may be totally different but maybe not. Worth a look!
  • gerry31gerry31 Member Posts: 4
    I have also filed a NHTSA complaint about my Caliber stalling out at intersections and at other times when the car is in neutral. So far nothing, and Dodge is just as slick as snot with all their answers.

Here is my all time favorite Dodge answer from somebody named Brandon (would not divulge his last name) in their corporate office:

We know it's dangerous, and it's still under warranty, but we just can be throwing away parts to fix it.

I will NEVER buy another Chrysler or Dodge. They make junk.
  • stovern03stovern03 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter owns a 2007 caliber with 90k on it. In april, we replaced the alternator as it left her stranded on the highway. Then yesterday she was going back home and had her cruise set going down the highway and all the sudden the cruise kicked off and her car would not acclerate. Once she got stopped she couldng go forward but could go in reverse. After she sat there for awhile with the car off, she could then go forward but only up to 30 mph, then the car started to act like it was going to stall on her. Got her to a gas station and she waited for us, she had the car running when all the sudden it shut off with out touching the key. We tried to started it and nothing, we then put a jump pack on it and it started and showed everything was charging..Also when she was able to drive it there was a bad noise if she went over 30, but after jumping it the car starte shifting normal. Any suggestions or anyone else having issues like this....
  • tholderbaughtholderbaugh Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Dodge Caliber is doing the same thing. We were told that the power steering pump has gone out. Did you ever figure it out?
  • callie_nicolecallie_nicole Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my car at least 12 times and it's only a 09 not even 60k miles yet. When I took it to Dodge they told me I need a new alternator as well as a new ecim and t the ecim is what's making my car stall.
  • cjbiobabycjbiobaby Member Posts: 2
    come now, not all dodge and chryslers are junk. i bought a neon against my will. it was a 2004. i never liked them because ive heard so many issues with people that owned them. My baby lasted 3plus years until someone rear ended me. totalled it because its a unibody. however, that car gave me NO ISSUES whatsoever. there are plenty of dodge vehicles out there that are not junk. really. i just bought an 11 caliber, and i can see where some of these issues yall are talking about are going to happen. i dont want them to happen but i can see it. my car eats gas real bad. and it shouldnt for a four cyl.
    Callie, thanks for the advice.

My dealership re-iterated the Doge corporate line that they do not "just throw parts" at cars to see what is wrong. That means the car keeps stalling at intersections, RR crossings, and the like.

Right now my Caliber (37,000 miles on the odometer) is in a dealership in another town because the transmission went out and they have to break it down to see what's the matter. I will pass on your information about the stalling out.
  • caliber3caliber3 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe because you can't speak English, no one can understand you. Most here can't. What is an "alternado" exactly?
    Well, at the tender age of 37,000 miles, the transmission in my 2010 Caliber went out, and the entire transmission had to be broken down to find the culprit -- defective bearings.

Even the Dodge-Chrysler dealership doing the repair had serious issues with the corporate folks at Dodge who insisted to the dealership that the transmission was not covered under the Powertrain warranty. It took more than a few telephone calls to educate Dodge that 37,000 miles and 18 months is mathematically less than 100,000 miles and five years.

I passed on the information from this board about how a bad alternator was the reason for other people's stalling problems. With any luck that problem may be history.

To paraphrase Robert Duvall, "I love the smell of lemons in the morning."
  • ymartinez067ymartinez067 Member Posts: 2
    It's the piston I had the same thing happen to mine at 87000 only cylinder 4 misfire when I took the engine appart the piston rings were caked onto the piston to confirm do a compression test on all the pistons you will see they are not at optimal compression and #3 will be really low. I rebuilt my engine at that point and one year later the oil pump went out and ruined the engine again now I am replacing the engine with a 2011 and hoping for the best
  • vanstephvansteph Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    I had this problem for about 2 years. After many trips to the dealer (and many other proposed solutions) they installed a new throttle box in February 2012. Haven't had any problems since.