Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highlander Hybrid Tire/Wheel Questions

1234568»

Comments

• brioboybrioboy Posts: 24
    Just exchanged my Michelin winter tires for new Nokian WRG2 - true ALL season tires. Driving from Whistler to West Vancouver, my HH seemed lighter-footed and more nimble on the curves and quiet. Kal Tires's sale price was honoured by the Whistler shop - way better than a couple of years ago.
    ·
  • I just wanted to thank you for this reply. It is very specific and reassuring. I purchased a 2012 Highlander Hybrid in April and have about 5,000 miles on it. The tires are fine at this point but it's early... I live in San Francisco and I head to Tahoe almost every weekend Jan-April. I know the Toyo's are not going to cut it. I had Nokian WRG2's on my 2009 Lexus IS awd before I sold it - those tires were amazing. Never got stuck even once. I've ordered a set of WRG2 SUV's for my Highlander in the 255 55 R19 size. Able Tire and Brake in Novato CA is selling them to me for about $1280 inclusive of tax, mounting, balancing etc. I also purchased a used 255 55 R19 Nokian WR Sport Utility (what the WRG2 used to be called) for $73 on eBay to put on in place of the 245 55 19 full size spare. They say it has 60-70% life left on it.

Question for anyone here - Given that my Highlander only has about 5700 miles on it, should I be getting a 4 wheel alignment or can I forgo that this time? I don't think I 've done anything that would knock the alignment out of place but I also am worried about destroying $1300 worth of perfectly good tires.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bill
    ·
  • inndriverinndriver Posts: 6
    Need advice, please: 2007 HH. 28.5 MPG on summer tires. Now I have Blizzak MV-V1 winter tires. Nice for snow and ice, nice ride. But, due to their "sticky" rubber compund, they decrease my mileage by 1/2 mile per gallon. Do I go through the hassle of buying summer tires, changing them out, storing the Blizzaks somewhere? Is the expense, and the extra 1/2 MPG,worht doing this? Or, do I just keep the Blizzaks on year-round, which will cause them to wear out faster?
    ·
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,311
    inndriver said:

Need advice, please: 2007 HH. 28.5 MPG on summer tires. Now I have Blizzak MV-V1 winter tires. Nice for snow and ice, nice ride. But, due to their "sticky" rubber compund, they decrease my mileage by 1/2 mile per gallon. Do I go through the hassle of buying summer tires, changing them out, storing the Blizzaks somewhere? Is the expense, and the extra 1/2 MPG,worht doing this? Or, do I just keep the Blizzaks on year-round, which will cause them to wear out faster?

I always switch out the winter tires. I run Nokians myself and we're getting real close to switch out time here. I wouldn't worry about it from a mileage perspective, but more from a tire life angle. You want the Blizzaks to last you multiple seasons. And yes, there's that initial expense of buying the second set of tires, but while one set is on, the other isn't using up tread life. Spread over the life of the vehicle, it's really not that expensive for adding a little safety factor in the winter.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

·
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 34,078
    Plus.. winter tires wear out fast on dry roads. You'll probably get better tire wear from some all-seasons.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

·
    kyfdx said:

Plus.. winter tires wear out fast on dry roads. You'll probably get better tire wear from some all-seasons.

I agree. Running the winter shoes when you don't need to really cuts down on the useful winter tread life

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

·
  • inndriverinndriver Posts: 6
    Thanks to those who replied. Next questions: Do I get a new set of wheels to mount the other set of tires? If so, where do look? Identical wheels? Less expensive ones with the same size and track as originals? How do I know the aftermarket wheels are safe and compatible?
    ·
    I just store the tires that aren't on the car in the basement and have the tire shop remount them when it's time to change. Something to think about if you're going to get a second set of wheels is that you'll need another set of TPMS sensors (I'm assuming you have tire pressure monitors) and they're not exactly cheap either.

It's not too difficult to find aftermarket wheels that will match the specs for your vehicle. If your original equipment are alloy wheels and not just steel wheels with wheel covers, they can be pricey. But you know that they will be correct.

·
1234568»