Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Tire/Wheel Questions

12346»

Comments

• bluesky11bluesky11 Member Posts: 1
    New HCH purchased 7/08 by my wife from the local dealer. Car has 18,000 miles. Tires have considerably less than that, since I had 4 studded snows mounted on their own wheels from Nov-March. (With snows on, car is much louder and poorer gas mileage, but well worth it for the traction in our locale, also TPMS doesn't work & amber annunciator for same remains illuminated). Now, my garage guy tells me the tires (Dunlops) are totally worn. I'm thinking: 12,000, maybe 13,000 on a set of new tires? Outrageous! Honda seems unhelpful, as does Dunlop. I was told unofficially that "they" but really cheap, light tires on the new hybrids to save cost, weight, and increase gas mileage. I'm thinking what good is 40 mpg if I need new tires every year?

I see from other comments here about HCH TSB 08-001. Anyone got a link where I can download/print it? We're going to put the nows back on now, which means in the Spring, we either sell the car or buy new tires; any suggestions?

JR
  • eljoheljoh Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear you share our problems with tire wear. The TSB 08-001 has a specific VIN number region for 2008 Hybrids that it applies to. This is also listed on the TSB. I found a PDF by googling "TSB 08-001" so that should work for you to.

Good Luck.
  • tomobtomob Member Posts: 1
    Our HCH is a 2007 model and at 16000 miles this past May we took it in to our selling honda dealership in Gainesville Fla with rear tire alignment and abnormal rear tire wear.

I noted the uneven wear when having an oil change while the car was up on a lift. The dealer said there was a kit they needed to install p/n 04523-SNA-A01 which they accomplished for free along with the alignment. I think this was the upper control arms. However the two new Dunlop tires costs 111.00 each plus 50 labor so it cost me a total of 294.37.

Guess what, had the car on the lift last week at 22,000 miles for another oil change and rear tires are again worn on the inside surfaces and the car rides very noisy and vibrates like crazy above 75 mph. While on the lift we did some checking and the front edges of the rear tires are 5/8 inch wider across the front compared to the rear edges of the rear tires. i.e. the tires are towed outward 5/8 inch.

I wonder if Honda even can fix this problem which I think is caused by the extra rear end weight of the batteries. Put a load on the car and in the trunk and it just makes it worse. The rear end is not designed for the squat caused by this weight.

What do you guys think? Tom In north Fla
  • dungeonlaadungeonlaa Member Posts: 23
    HCH 2007: 65,000 on OEM Bridgestone Insignia SE200 (All-Season). Going to buy same set again. :)
  • azoxybenzeneazoxybenzene Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Read your post #143 on the Honda Civic Rear end suspension problems. We have a HCH with only 17,000 miles and the rear tires are almost worn out and its starting to make a lot of noise and vibrate. Would appreciate it if you could send me the PDF of the TSB 08-001 service bulletin.
    Thanks,
    Edwin Geels
  • brehmster1brehmster1 Member Posts: 1
    May 17, 2010

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 16,000 miles and rear tire wear is unbearable. Car shakes and is loud. I bought my car with a salvage title due to a storm on a dealer lot, it had 3 miles on it and still had all the plastic on the outside and inside. There was nothing wrong with this car other than scratches and broken glass...with that said I bought the recomended kit in the TSB-08-001 since Honda would not cover mine under warranty. I can understand that since I have a salvage title but when I went to install them I discovered I already have the ones with a "C" marked on them. Are the ones with a "C" supposed to fix the issue? Did Honda just sell me the same ones I already have? I realize I have a salvage titled car but Honda has really shown their true colors when trying to get answers and or help with trying to solve this issue. Local dealerships played stupid..."never heard of such a problem" I only paid $15000 for my HCH so I can swallow a little extra to fix crap like this but I feel really bad for anyone who paid top dollar for their HCH and have to deal with Honda on this issue...this is one reason I don't buy new. Honda's have always been great cars for me but they really screwed up on this one : ( :cry: I am still waiting to get an answer from Honda customer service on this "C" marking to see if maybe I have a new batch that are different then what I already have...tic toc tic toc...and I wait. I will most likely buy some aftermarket adjustable arms so then I will not waste another set of tires. Pitiful!
  • NoisyWheelNoisyWheel Member Posts: 4
    Been there ! .... Don't expect satisfaction from Honda.

The car was designed with hard-rubber tires (for better gas mileage) that wear terribly.
    The car also had a service bulletin requiring exchance of a rear linkage in the suspension (you can Google the bulletin).

Honda and the dealer will likely give you the runaround (they did same to us) since they've heard it all before.

We (and apparently most other owners) have changed tires to minimize our problem. Suggest a low rolling resistence tire (see Tire Rack for data on selection). Expect gas mileage to suffer (approx, 5 mpg.) when you change tires.

By the way the OEM tires were/are (in my estimation) a safety hazard ! We discovered this once when we decelerated approaching a stoplight. The car skidded into the intersection (dry, clean pavement).

From my engineering point of view, Honda made trade-offs to optimize mpg. Unfortunately, you are noticing/experiencing the trade-offs at your cost !
  • uberbaumuberbaum Member Posts: 1
    hybridguyx2, I am experiencing exactly the same issue with my '09 HCH which has had extreme inner rear tire wear after just a little over 10k miles. If you still have the .pdf handy please let me know, I am preparing to go to bat with my dealer who says this type of wear is "normal" when clearly it isn't. Thank you!
  • krishi2001krishi2001 Member Posts: 6
  • lyninmainelyninmaine Member Posts: 15
    hi, i am busy planting or i would look this up for you, but, go to my old messages. i posted my case number. i got $429.00 paid by honda america for 4 new michelin tires i got from sam's club. do it now! honda will try to tell you you didn't rotate your tires perfectly when the wear is not a rotation issue. control arm problems coupled with very cheap tires is the culprit - unless the control arms are not the same as older models. those low profile tires are cheap and are part of a hoax to get better mileage that cannot be achieved with a good tire. i am unimpressed with honda as a corporatation.
  • ovationgirlovationgirl Member Posts: 3
    Just to know you are not alone, twice I had to replace my tires at the dealership. They usaed Yokihamas. I had been rotating and ligning them per schedule as I was seeing them bi-weekly for my many other issues. I finally went to Sears and got some good Goodyearts tires and kept them rotated and aligned and had no other issues. No they were not what the dealership put on, but I had road hazard protectioon on all of them and when they went out either to due that or premature wear, they were replaced free of charge, something Honda never did for me! Just IMHO...
    Sara
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've been buying cars and getting service from the same dealer since 1979, but back in 1987 when I brought a vehicle in for inspection and decided that I wanted to change the tires, they pointed me to a local tire shop where they told me they were getting them anyway. Since tires are one of the more important things on a car, I'm a firm believer in taking care of them. And a specialty tire shop is a bit better choice than the dealership in my view. Not the the dealer service is bad, but tires are sort of just another "part" for them.
  • bosslessbossless Member Posts: 179
    I need to replace my tires soon. What tire is the best for this car in terms of milage and noise? I hate noisy tires. I have a 2006 with the rear alignment mod.
    I went with original Bridgestone set after I drove 66,000 on them in MA for my 2007 HCH. ;)
    Can you tell me which specific type of Bridgestone?
    edited November 2010
    Sorry for late answer: 195/65R15S BST Insignia SE200. Paid for 4 $303.28 + $39.00 alighnment :) after 66.000 miles ;)
  • hch2006hch2006 Member Posts: 1
    It seems this forum has been quiet for about a year and a half, but I'll post anyway.

I was wondering if anyone has any recent opinions on the best tires for an 06 hch.
    I'm due for new tires again and wanted some opinions on wear vs. mpg vs. price.

I just read the majority of this discussion and was wondering if any of you had any new experiences to share about tires.
    Thanks.
    I recommend the Bridgestone Ecopia 100. A quiet tire with low rolling resistance.
  • anananan Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I have a constant loss of air in one tire. I have to put air in the tire sometimes several times a month, to every other month depending on "i have no idea what"
    I have been advised that there are no holes in the tire.
    Why would I be losing air in one tire?

It's like pulling teeth, asking questions getting them to do anything to pursue the issue.

is something like this covered under warranty?
    I am being told if it is what they think it is...wouldnt be covered under warranty BUT I have been taking the car to the dealer since I bought it for this very reason. So i feel it was a pre-existing condition.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    With no hole in the tire, it could be a corroded or otherwise damaged rim that's not letting the tire bead seal. Could be a leak at the valve stem. Or it could be that the bead on the tire is damaged or malformed and not letting it seat right on the rim.

It HAS to be one of those, because there's not much of anything else that could go wrong. I really can't imagine anything associated with a "wear item" like a tire being covered under warranty. If you go to a reputable tire shop, they should be able to figure out fairly easily where the issue is.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    A second for there is a source somewhere, and someone needs to spend the time to find it.

No, this is not covered under warranty - and, pre-existing or not, that makes me think that your going to the car dealer is exactly the wrong thing to be doing. You should be going to a tire dealer. If they can't find the leak, they need to be in another business.

But you should be prepared to have to pay to get this fixed. It might be a simple puncture, but it could be that the wheels are leaking ($$$!)