Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum Tire/Wheel Questions

2»

Comments

• purdeypurdey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Magnum AWD with less than 9,000km, which has developed a bad shudder in the front end when turning sharply at low speed, such as into/out of garage, U-turns etc? Anyone else got this?
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    My 2005 R/T AWD and had the same shuddering problem during low speed turning. There is a TSB out there on this issue. The first time, the dealer flushed out the transfer case. When the shudder returned they replaced the transfer case. Haven't had the problem since the replacement.
  • blarneystoneblarneystone Member Posts: 3
    Do you have the TSB number? My 2006 300c AWD has the same exact problem but the dealer denies there is any TSB out there and doesn't notice the noise even when I drive the car with him in it.
  • thang111thang111 Member Posts: 4
    Only have 11,000 miles on original Continental tires. They have cupped (all 4).
    Continental says out of balance/suspension/lack of rotation the problem. Never have had a car, even with gross neglect of the tire maintenance that have cupped. Now dealing with the rump rump rump sound which is aggravating. Continental does not acknowledge any responsibility. Have cross rotated the tires to attempt to even the wear. Anybody out there with history with this problem. Tempted to get new tires.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Dump the Crapinentals! Mine only lasted 16000 miles before they were down to the wear bars. Got Cooper 18" touring tires (exact OEM size) and they made all the difference in the world. Now with almost 26000 miles on the Coopers they still look great and ride great. Cuppping usually relates to alignment issues. You might want to have that checked, but regardless you need to get new tires ASAP!
    Replaced my 4 Conti's which were cupped after less than 11k miles. Got some satisfaction from Continental, They gave me $75 credit for each tire. Most of that went back to the Tire Center however for their mounting charges etc. Did however have the wheels aligned. Perhaps the cause of the cupping problem to begin with. Had to replace with the same tire however. Am now enjoying the wonderful quiet ride again. Will definitely pay attention to rotation and alignment henceforth. Seems the Magnum/Continental is sensitive to tire maintenance.
  • snakebit99snakebit99 Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking at tire/rim packages for my new 2007 Magnum R/T AWD. There seems to be many package choices for the RWD version but very limited for the AWD. Question: Assuming the bolt pattern & back space are correct. Why would there be such a difference between AWD vs RWD rims? Can I go up a size to 20"? Also based on the adverse tire info here on the Continentials, what is a good agressive tread tire for the AWD (lots of snow here) that will give a good quiet ride. Thanks for the help.
  • pagetpaget Member Posts: 7
    I found that going to tirerack.com is a good resource...asks questions on what's important to you...snow, handling, etc.

I have an 06 and am leaning towards the Goodyear Eagle R series
    FYI: Just talked to the guys at Tire Rack. AWD rims have a different back space than RWD.
  • jacklioneljacklionel Member Posts: 29
    My NOS 2006 had really bad highway vibration when I test-drove it (it had been sitting around for a long time). The dealer replaced the tires with new Mastercraft tires (I forget the specific tire, they have several styles named "Avenger"). It cured the vibration totally. Time will tell how they wear (I think they can be had for about $107 a piece).

(I should say that tires usually last me a very long time, since I drive very conservatively these days. Of course, with that Hemi tempting me, things may change. On cars like my Grand Marquis, they would last 70 thousand miles or better. The front tires on my '87 Grand National only lasted about 30 thousand. I don't know why; I never sped around corners much. I think that those OEM Goodyears are just too soft).
    Been doing a little googling:

TireRack customer comments pretty much damn any Continental tire (and I may have discovered why the original tires on my car vibrated so much: they may have been the "self-sealing" type, loaded with goop. After sitting around since 2006 (or earlier; I'll need to try and get the date of manufacture of my car), it just lumps up and won't distribute evenly.

EdgeRacing recommends the Falken Zeix Ze 912 in the 225/60R18 size. They describe it as an "ultra high performance all-season" tire. It comes with a 65,000 mile warranty, and is supposed to be an improvement on the previous design in terms of wear, wet and dry handling, noise and resistance to hydroplaning. They charge only $101 per tire, plus $58.16 for shipping for a set of four.

Has anyone ever heard of Falken tires?
  • garsidegarside Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 that had continental tires that cupped, but I had regular maint. and rotated tires . I was just told the continentals were soft rubber due to self sealing and getting 20K was good, I did not agree but that got me nowhere. Finally, I just went to good year and purchased 4 new Assurance tires and love them, it totally changed my ride and wished I did sooner.
    Had the exact problem with my 05 at less than 12k miles. Told that improper maintenance was problem. I bought car used with 5k miles. Got a $75 credit per tire for Conti replacements. Had all 4 wheels "ALIGNED" as they were out of alignment. you may want to check that if you did not get that done. Service rep. at Dodge service center had not heard of the problem I had so don't feel that it is wide spread.
    Check for "cupping" of your tires as a cause of the vibration.
    No, it wasn't due to cupping. As I said, the tires were brand new.

(I since discovered that "Mastercraft" tires are made by Cooper).
  • tekno1tekno1 Member Posts: 3
    Can you give me contact info from your dealer who recognized that Continentals have been a problem? Dealers in my area are either oblivious or told to avoid admitting any problems with the Continentals. I am having serious tracking problems with my R/T AWD with just 5000 miles. Thanks.
  • brinamplsbrinampls Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone else receive the notice of a class action suit against Continental Tires, because of the tires they supplied for Dodge vehicles, including our Magnums, from 2003-2008? I got it in the mail and read it carefully. Turns out that if I'd had my original Dodge MagnumR/T Continentals replaced before 30,000 miles, I'd be eligible to be a party in the suit and get some $$$--not a lot, looks like it would have been $120 or so, depending on the mileage at which they had to be replaced.

Anyway I did have mine replaced, but at 31,000!

Interesting. It looks like I received the notification and forms to join the suit because of the year and model I purchased. I hope you all receive it and that for some of you, this represents some money coming your way!
  • jfl296jfl296 Member Posts: 1
    strut bushings solved my noise did not seem worn but it was the noise
    Just replaced the Continental Tires on my 2007 Magnum RT. 10,000 miles tires were shot! There is a Class Action Lawsuit...the class action lawsuit claims period ends on Sept. 15th, 2010. For all Chrysler/Dodge vehicles with OEM Conti tires purchased from 2003 - 2008. They will give you up to $120.00 per tire as part of the lawsuite if you qualify. Weblink here:

http://tiresettlement.com/summarynotice.pdf

www.tiresettlement.com

It's really hard to get much info on this lawsuite, the dealer & Tire Rack other tire suppliers claim to not know anything about it. Had to call Continental Customer Service to get answers. 1-800-847-3349. Better hurry if you are going to replace those POS Conti's. Good Luck-Larry
  • green03green03 Member Posts: 2
    Hello...

Please Help!

I've been the market for a new car lately and I like the Magnums. The look great and could be an alternative to an SUV. I live Cleveland, OH and our winter are crazy. If I buy a Magnum, is the AWD version a must or will RWD due. Also, will the SXT be reliable or the RT is the way to go. I'm afraid the RT might be too expensive to maintain and will suck too much gas! BUT the extra power is tempting. I'm looking a lower level 08 SXT's and '06 model RT's with 40k-60k mi already. Everyone, sound the horn....let me know what's your honest opinion...especially for those who have had their Magnum since for more than 1-2 years. Thanks! ;)
This discussion has been closed.