Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum Transmission Issues

2»

Comments

• Options
    cmiles97cmiles97 Member Posts: 17
    I drove around for an hour, came home and parked the magnum. It ran just fine. An hour later I try to leave and it's stuck in park now. There are no lights on the dash, the brake lights work, the fliuds are fine. Its just stuck in park and will not budge. What can I do to fix this problem?
    -----------------------
    2006 Mag SRT8 (25,000 miles) same problem last Friday. No indication lights & stuck in park. Had to have Chrysler send a tow truck. The driver (independent tow company) says this problem happens often with Dodges. The trasmission lock module failed. He had to lift the rear of the car climb under to pull (a cable?) to release the car from park to nuetral. Luckily the car was not in the garage. By the way the wife's Honda and my company car (accord) have a key override to release to park.

The dealer confirmed and replaced the module luckily still under warranty. I thought I would own one Chrysler product that did not require towing.
  • Options
    needhelp241needhelp241 Member Posts: 1
    i have a dodge magnum v8 (318) when i give it gas the rpm's reve up really high but it wont change gears. It acts like its stuck in nuetral, but when i put it in nuetral and back in drive it will change, once in the right gear it runs fine. Any ideas?
  • Options
    nin77canin77ca Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Magnum 8 cylinder Hemi.
    While on highway car would rev but speed stuck at 90km an hour.This has happened twice.We are not sure what to do since it only happens to me.Wayne only has seen the problem with headlights shutting off and on.Hope to find a fix before spending to much money.Magnum lover.No answer yet :P
  • Options
    danvasdanvas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Magnum R/T and yesterday I was leaving home in the morning and noticed a high pitched whine coming from the transmission. As I pulled up to a stop sign and stop I still heard it. I proceeded to go and could feel the trans start to slip in and out of gear as it slipped the RPM's would rise as if in nuetral. I got to the next stop sign and then it would not move. I tried all the gears and nothing. It has autoshift and that would not allow me to pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th gears. Reverse did not work either. I turned off the car for about 5 seconds and then restarted it I put it in to drive and I was able to make it home. But every stop I had to turn the car off and then back on. Any ideas, I have it a transmission place and they said it would be $450 to look inside the the transmission, because they are getting error codes that say 1st gear, 2nd gear and 3rd gear errors. I have a feeling they are going to rape me. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks Dan
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You didn't mention your mileage... I mention that because a 2005 would have a 7/70 Powertrain Warranty that would cover transmission repairs (assuming they're not from neglect).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • Options
    magnum2005magnum2005 Member Posts: 1
    Danvas

The transmission problem you are describing is EXACTLY what i had/have on my 2005 Magnum R/T (62,000 miles). First the high pitch noise started, took it to the dealer and they replaced the filter. Noise gone. One week later, the transmission started to slip and seconds later, all gears gone. I called a tow truck and they took it back to the dealership. This time, they explain this is known problem for this transmission, Chrysler directed them to flush the transmission, then replace the valve-body. They believe there is some debree stuck in one of the valves. This is as far we got today, the new valve-body is getting installed tomorrow.

Common for all these failures are they only occur when the transmission has reached normal operating temperature. When cold, it is all fine.

Hope some of this helps.
  • Options
    danvasdanvas Member Posts: 2
    I had 90,000 miles on it. The car was rarely driven hard and after all is said and done the transmission had to be rebuilt for $3000.00 I have owned a lot of cars from 2 Ford Mustangs. 1 an 82 GT and the other which I still have a 86 SVO. I drove the crap out of those cars and never even had to replace the clutch. But, what's done is done. I want to thank you for your help.
    Dan
  • Options
    campbell0691campbell0691 Member Posts: 1
    My car sat for a week at home and then had girlfriend drive to the Airport apx 65 miles. Car sat for 4 days there.Got back and started car drove to the gas station filled up and drove to the freeway. All within a mile. Went to get on the freeway and depress the accelerator and it down shifted once and then shift up as it goes thru the gears. As i got to speed the check engine light came on and the EPS traction light came on. No acceleration now, it goes thru the gears but if you put your foot down it wont go. Its just a gradual acceration and will shift and you can be going 35 in 5th? Whats the deal, does anyone know or had this issue? I also noticed that my rear end has a little puddle on the drive way? I have 71k on it and as i was driving i noticed there was no overheating or noises from the trans? It shifted so is this a trans issue or the electronics in the accecerator or AWD? :mad:
  • Options
    allmagnumallmagnum Member Posts: 2
    dang, i read therw the problems i might be running to makes me lerry. any way the answer to the tranny that wouldn't swift, a plastic part in the swifter. at the dealer for $98, installed it in 1 hour.
    they told me it was made better this time.
    p.s. if you need a picture fill free to contact.
  • Options
    jtl712jtl712 Member Posts: 1
    I think i have the same problem...can u send me a pic?
  • Options
    mateo3mateo3 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 06 magnum in for similar problem. They replaced the ADAP plug, $14.43 for the part, $36.99 for fluid and $181.00 for labor, plus tax for a total of $232.42.
  • Options
    chicomechicome Member Posts: 1
    That just happened to me three days ago. I called my local dodge service dealer to ask them if i can add some fluid but they said only they can add it. They would not even tell me which type to use. To bring it in and for $280.00 they will check it. I towed it home and I'm sorry but i'm old school. I loosened the pan using a No. 30 star driver, drained the fluid and found the filter pretty plugged. I purchased a new filter and gasket from O'Riely's auto. They looked up the fluid, it takes 5 and 1/3 quarts of ATF +4 transmission fluid. I drove it to work today and it runs fine. Good luck.
  • Options
    jhamari08jhamari08 Member Posts: 1
    Im trynna get the id tag on my transmission for my05 dodge magnum sxt how would find it?
  • Options
    dpearisodpeariso Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I recently Purchased the 07 magnum with 109,000 miles. Car run`s and sounds perfect . no dash lights indicators(dummy lights) are on. Now the issue is between 3rd and fourth gear between 35 to 45 Mph i get a mild to medium surge back and fourth is the best way i can describe it. now i can speed up to make it go away . local mech.was no help told me there were no dash lights so there was no reason to hook up tester. stated if it went away when i speed up to do that. its been awhile since i`ve been that angry. Any way if there are any idea`s on the reslution please advise. thank you in advance for any help that you can provide!! also would like to add that it doesn`t seem to be slipping rpm`s kind of surge as well..i also put a new battery in it was told it would resolve it as well no luck there. battery didn`t chang the problem.
  • Options
    pat_carpat_car Member Posts: 1
    My '05 Magnum recently started having that same problem around 112,000 mi. The advice I have gotten so far from my mechanic friends is to get the transmission system drained and cleaned and filter replaced. Est. cost is around $200.
  • Options
    steviej25steviej25 Member Posts: 1
    I have that shuddering and vibration now. How much did that cost??
  • Options
    psykoe1psykoe1 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah i have a 2005 and it never gave any indication as to trouble with the trans. I was driving one day and it just got stuck in gear. I went to a place to see if they had a dip stick to check my fluid. Luckily they did said that thing is like a 100+ . so my fluid level was fine. I had a diagnostic done for 89.00 and they said a whole bunch of stuff was bad in the trans. I took it to a transmission shop they said maybe try to change the filter first. I'm stuck i don't know what to do. 144k on it now. I've had t for 3 yrs and did some highway driving a lot.