Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3 Tire/Wheel Questions

2»

Comments

• Hi Shipo.
    I am having a similar problem. My A3 S-line came with Perrelli tires. They were noisy from the start. But I persevered, hoping they would quite down with time. At the 15K service they rotated the tires as part of the service. They were even noiser now. I love this car with a passion, but I hates these tires. Do you or anyone on the forum, recommend a quite, but a high performance all-season tire. These tires only have 20 k on them, I cannot stand them anymore. Thanks in advance.

Tony
  • Woffy, which continentals do have on you car? Thanks.

aattard
  • Youngma,

do you still have the phone No. you called ? Thanks.

aattard
  • Larbar2,

Which Bridgestone were they. I am looking at bridgestones to replace the OEM perrellis on my 2008 A3 S-line. Thanks.

aattard
  • Wow, I must have been lucky to get the Continentals ( ContiProcontact) as OEM on my A3. While they are noisy on certain surfaces, especially old concrete it gets loud in the cabin for the most part they are ok. I asked the dealer about the noise and he said its normal. Could someone explain why there is so much tire "noise" with this car....?
    Thanks
  • Well it's been four months and everything is fine. Buy it! I love mine.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    I absolutely have loved the Sumitomo HTR Z III's on my A3. For under $100, they can't be beat.
  • a3fan2a3fan2 Posts: 1
    I also have a 2006 A3 Quattro. My first set of OEM Pirellis wore out at 17,500 miles and were very noisy. My second set were Kumho Ecstas which lasted about 25,000 miles so my 3rd set were also Kuhmos since I was fairly happy with road noise and life. I got about 27,000 out of those. My fourth set were Falken 912 at the recommendation of Tires Plus (and they couldn't get Kuhmos in when I needed them.) These tires are at 23,000 miles and my very savvy and reliable mechanic, who used to be an Audi service guy for 22 years, said he thinks I have about 10,000 more miles to get out of them. The road noise is very quiet. At about 10,000 miles I did have an episode where they also sounded like 18 wheelers (to the point that 2 friends asked what was wrong with my car) but found out I had a bad wheel bearing on the right rear. Once that was fixed, I was good again. I do love this car but the tire issue is very annoying. I've found that if I rotate tires at every oil change (every 5,000 miles), I get much better mileage out of them. The 2006 A3 has had alot of minor issues such as the wheel bearing and I had to replace the right front boot at about 50,000 miles. When I first got the car I also found I had a bad sensor in the gas tank neck which caused my car to not start every time I got gas. It took Audi about 3 months to fix that and it was only fixed because I found the problem and repair online on one of the forums. I have now ordered a 2011 A3 which is coming in July and I asked them to put something other than Pirellis on it but the salesman said they don't put those on anymore because of all the complaints. We'll see!! I personally will stick with the Kuhmos or Falkens and the price is much better too!
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 798
    Do not be surprised if you are disappointed on the tires that come on your new Audi. In Europe, tires are all about wet traction, and wear is only a minor consideration. Plus, fuel economy is usually promoted at the sacrifice of wear.

Not to mention speed rating. V and higher speed rated tires are designed for grip and not for wear.

- AND - Unless you are willing to pay extra, you will not be able to select the tires that come on the vehicle. So if you want something other than what it comes with, be prepared to "pony up".
  • I bought a 2007 Audi A3 2.0T in January of 2010 and by the time I had gotten it up to 23K miles, I noticed that I wasn't cornering very well and that the interior cabin sounded *really* loud at speeds above 40 miles an hour (especially on the concrete freeways).

I shopped around and read a lot on this forum and a couple others and went with 4 new Dunlop SP Sport Signature 225/45ZR17 94W's:
    http://tinyurl.com/29yqtam

I live in Northern Virginia, so I'm only in the snow maybe 10 times a year, and only on wet roads maybe 20% of the time, so the Dunlops seemed like good all-around tires for the place I live.

The tires with installation ran me about $525 and the labor another $80, so I got out of there around $600 poorer, but my A3 was immediately smoother, quieter, and cornered better, so I'm happy. :)
  • leo2006a3leo2006a3 Posts: 1
    I own an 2006 A 3 Prem. pkg. Which tires are best, when it comes to noise reduction ?
    The car has Pirelli P6 Four Season, they are BAD. Leo
    You have to consider 2 parts:

1) Do the tires have irregular wear?

Irregular wear can generate a considerable amount of noise. This is usually caused by mis-alignment - and by mis-alignment I mean alignment settings that aren't good for tire wear - which is common on many European vehicles (especially German vehicles!) In particular, any camber over 1° tends to develop irregular wear.

If you have such a vehicle, then you need to find an alignment shop who is willing and knowledgable enough to be able to dial out the camber that the vehicle manufacturer put in. They did this for handling purposes and one of the unfortunate side affects is irregular tire wear - which isn't a concern for European motorists.

While some tires are more prone to irregular wear than others, you can really cut the risk by getting the alignment set for good tire wear, rather than handling.

2) If the problem is the tread pattern, then you need to be aware that road surface texture plays a role in tire noise. Since road surfaces vary widely through the US, you should consult with a local tire dealer. He will know what works in your area - and it will be different from place to place.

So your first step is to find an alignment shop who will work with you to get the camber under a degree. Your second step is to talk to a local tire dealer. Sometimes these are the same person.
  • The OEM ContiProContacts on my 09 A3 lasted exactly 40k without issue. Snow traction was lacking, but each has given their all without any uneven wearing or annoying noises. I'm now eyeing up a set of ExtremeContact DWS's to get me through to next summer. I then plan on pickup a set of nice summer tires and rims and hitting the track. Two sets of tires seem to last almost 3 times longer :-p

Tirerack has survey results posted for each tire, and tire noise is one of the many ratings. I prefer a quiet ride, but wet traction and comfort are at the top of my list, at least for an all-season.
    Mounted the Continental Extreme Contact DW's to my A3 just about a week ago (300 miles). Best tire I've ever used so far in regards to ride comfort and road noise (and I'm running upgraded 18" 235/40's now. The traction and performance seems first rate too, but I won't know until I really test that out after breaking them in.
  • What 18" wheels are you running? I just picked up some TT 18" rims and I will check out the Conti ExtremeContacts.

Is there a recommended alignment setup to reduce the tire wear? Factory settings seem to chew right through them, especially Nexen all-seasons - they were brand new on the car when I bought it and I can't recommend them.

Regarding winter tires, anyone run a taller, more narrow tire on their stock 17"s?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Narrower? Yes. Taller? No, or at least not that I've ever heard; what would be the point?
    My experience with alignment is that many European cars spec too much camber. While that is good for handling, it's a detriment to tire wear. Anything over a degree of camber should be dialed out.

And toe is a multiplier for tire wear problems. The toe needs to be as close to the target value as possible.
    I'm running OZ Racing's ultra lightweight Allegerita 18" wheels in Anthracite finish.

Really one of the better upgrades I've done that made a noticeable difference and improvement with the way the car drove thank to the loss of 10lbs of unsprung weight per corner.

I'm all about having good handling, so I wouldn't want to change my camber or toe settings for more tire mileage, just find a tire that can handle the A3's demands.

I'd imagine you'd want to run taller tires in the winter to give you more ground clearance, though where I live, there is no such thing as Winter.
    The reduction in handling due to a taller tire far outweigh any perceived benefits of say a half of an inch more ground clearance (especially so because, around here at least, for every 30 days of cold relatively clear roads, we might get one or two (on average) which features snow deep enough to make ground clearance an issue). Said another way, if ground clearance is an issue, you're better off driving a Jeep or waiting until the plows come by.
    I had a guy tell me that taller tires can handle better, and pointed to Nascar and Indy, and Drag Race Cars as an example of very tall tires used for performance purposes.

What is the correct response to that argument?
    It all depends. Consider the following wheel/tire combinations (all of which have an outer diameter within a tenth of an inch of 25.0"):

15" wheels and 195/65 R15 tires
    17" wheels and 205/50 R17 tires
    19" wheels and 215/35 R19 tires

If one was to put the above tires on any one car, a first generation Mazda3 for instance, it is pretty good bet the "Taller" fifteen inch setup at the top will be able to handle at least as well as the "Shorter" nineteen inch setup at the bottom, in spite of the nearly one inch narrower section width of the tread. So, from that perspective, the guy you were talking to was correct.

The thing is, the "Middle" seventeen inch setup will be able to run rings around the both of them. Why? The short answer is that the rotational mass or "Angular Kinetic Energy" (think gyroscope) becomes so great beyond roughly sixteen to seventeen inches of wheel size that the wheels become very able to resist changing their rotational plane, which in turn degrades handling.

To be sure the above answer is greatly simplified and disregards any number of other factors, but I think you get the idea. :)
    edited September 2011
    Total unadulterarted mulemuffins.

Drag racing/ handling? Not even in the same universe.

Look at sports car racers where the rules don't prohibit innovation - Yup, 35/40 series tires.
2»