Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Audio/XM/MP3

zebcozebco Member Posts: 1
First of all, very interesting and informative message board.

I just bought a used 05' Maxx LS. The radio is NOT XM ready. I was wondering if it was possible to buy an upgraded factory radio that is XM ready (and maybe with an MP3 player) and have it installed. I'd prefer not to deal with aftermarket radios or those satellite radio receivers. I have talked to the parts department of two different dealers here and neither could answer that question. I was hoping someone here might know. Thanks!

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Actually I am pretty sure your vehicle has uplevel CD radio (2 line display) so it "would already" be XM-ready. The issue you have is that the XM feature for the factory OEM system still requires a separate receiver module mounted in rear of vehicle which isn't in your vehicle (or the associated wiring or antenna/cable).
  • maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    e2helper,

How do you scroll through the RDS messages on my '04 Maxx LS 6 disc changer XM radio? It will read a phone number and cut off the last few digits. Thanks.
    For RDS and XM information I don't believe it is possible to scroll - you can only cycle between display modes. This is one area I always wanted to understand a little better.

For OnStar phone number display I think it displays 10 digits which only covers a basic U.S. number with area code
    Does anybody know a part number for the power button on the 6 disc XM receiver? Mine's peeling and the dealer can't help.

Also, I have a noise that sounds like a rattle in the passenger mirror, the dealer was also unable to fix this under warranty so I'm on my own. Any ideas to what the problem is?

Thanks for the help.
    Hi,

Knob kit for 2004 Malibu radio is 22690637. Should be a cost of $5-$6 from dealer. Likely hard to get cheaper anywhere else due to shipping charges. Might just be one knob in kit because it is actually a couple pieces (inner pushbutton and outer knob). Don't know if both knobs on radio are the same - this one mentioned Power specifically.

I was unsure about your comment on the mirror. I don't really have a suggestion anyways but was it something dealer thought they could fix - just not under warranty?

FYI - the fact that your vehicle has XM option doesn't have much directly to do with the radio head itself. The XM receiver function is done by a separate electronic module in trunk. All but the base level radio in Malibu is compatible with this XM receiver.
    I'm out of basic warranty now. The dealer replaced the glass gasket, but it didn't fix the problem. A bunch of empty promises later and the service department being fired, I'm on my own now out of warranty. The rattle sounds as if it's coming from the passenger outer mirror. It has become worse and can now be heard with the window down. It sounds as if something is loose and will come and go depending on the wind strength. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

I've had really good and really bad service out of the dealer. I still have an oil leak, probably from the rear main seal as the pan has been done. I do have GMPP, but was told I may be responsible for the repair costs if they determine the oil brand is the culprit. I think that's nonsense but will think about that next time I purchase a vehicle.
  • notoriousmojonotoriousmojo Member Posts: 1
    Ive had my '05 MAXX for a little over a month and love it. The only gripe I can come up with is the radio. It seems the radio reception wants to cut out regularly, and when this happens it sounds almost like a cd skipping. I havent checked with the service department at the stealership yet but will be going in for service soon. Anyone experience this as well? Any input appreciated. Thanks
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    sounds like the radio needs to be reprogrammed...it can be done at the dealership..its a software upload they can do......it done by simply loading a CD they have into the player......do you have in popping sounds as well???
  • jrhess3jrhess3 Member Posts: 3
    I am getting terrible AM reception on my Maxx. FM is fine, XM comes in clear, but the AM has a lot of interference, sounds like a radio I had with a bad ground.
    Has anybody experienced poor AM reception on their Maxx. The Dealership said the problem seemed to be intermittent and they couldn't find any problem. They reprogrammed the XM, but that has nothing to do with the AM.
  • princessjess18princessjess18 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I own a 2004 Malibu Maxx and for some strange reason the CD's keep getting stuck in the CD player. I have gotten them out before and cleaned the cd player but now I have a CD in there and when I press the eject button it just makes a clicking noise and says either "No disc" or "Check Disc". Any ideas on whats going on and/or how to fix it?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    We're getting a bit afoul of sound systems here, but...

Oil brand and warranty coverage?

They have no business under Magnusson-Moss specifying any brand as long as the oil is SM and 5w30. The GM oil life monitor is calibrated for dino not synthetic oil. If you were running 20w50 racing oil or 10w40 in there and blew something out you've got another problem, but brands is brands: whether Pennzoil or SuperTech. Goodwrench oil is the same as Mobil 5000-- I think, although the formula may be slightly changed.

There was an underlying GM spec for pumpability that still occasionally shows up on SM bottles but the SM spec. itself includes this performance. There were SL oils that could fail to meet this spec.
  • dragontatdragontat Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2005 Malibu Maxx LT and after the first 6 months of owning the vehicle a code pops up "DAB". It has been to the dealer about 10 times now with 3 different radio's, and after disconnecting the aftermarket CD changer that the original dealer installed. The dealership supposed to have talked to GM everytime but they don't know what the code stands for. Any help would be apprecieiated.
    I have an 04 LT...page 3-66 of the owners manual..DAB is an XM radio error message..indicating a hardware failure...it indicates if it doesnt clear within a short period of time..there may be a problem with the receiver.....so I would assume they are referring to the XM receiver.....
  • dragontatdragontat Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I will have the dealership look into that. My wife just recieved a letter from XM about analog and digital recievers. Hopefully that will correct the problem. Appreciate the help and quick response with this.
  • eronieroni Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know how to remove the radio ? (2006 Maxx w/ single CD radio).
    Thanks for any help on this subject.
  • lgarlandlgarland Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2005 Maxx LS. I have been struggling to determine the best way to implement MP3 player access into the vehicle. I have read that this model does not have the required aux inputs to accommodate adapters that could be put on the car. I have also had no luck coming up with aftermarket stereo systems/faceplates that would allow me to do this.

Can anyone help with more advice about this issue? The cost isn't really a factor. I just need to know which way to go, if there is one at all.

We already own one of the higher priced FM transmitters, and its performance leaves something to be desired. I have even contemplated, in the event that no other options are available, a disruption in the signal from the stereo to the exterior antenna. This would allow the FM transmitter to have a better and more consistent signal. However, this would have to be something that could be turned on and off, and I don't know enough about it to ponder if this would even be possible...

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!! I listen to audiobooks constantly, and would love to be able to listen to them via the stereo.
    if cost isnt a factor..replace the head unit...there is an adapter that allows you to maintain the DIC interface as well as the controls on the steering wheel...
  • lgarlandlgarland Member Posts: 2
    Pao... Would you be speaking of the Metra 99-3303? Here is the link to one site offering it: http://www.audiooutfitter.com/99-3303/metra/p167542.html

I want to be sure and get the correct one if possible. Thanks for your response!!!! :)
    yes that is one I have seen...there is also an adapter I beleive to keep the controls on the steering wheel as well
  • mike226mike226 Member Posts: 1
    The noise you here in the passenger mirrror (visor) is wires for vanity lights you do not have.
  • pogge1pogge1 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, I posted this elsewhere but saw afterwards that it should probably be in here. :)

My display screen on my radio is not working. I just bought the car (2004 Maxx). I have bought a salvage radio from a 2005, will it be compatible?

Thank you.
    Also, will it need a programming code to get it working?
    I have a new radio in my 04 maxx but its locked. Any ideas how I unlock it?

Thanx.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    You have to take it to the dealer and have the radio introduce it's self to the BCM. Pretty sure only the dealer can do this.
    I got it done. Thanx.

Now it keeps telling me to set the time. I set it but everytime I push any button, it still wants the time set. Any ideas?
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I bought my wife a Sirius Sportster for her '06 Maxx LT and wonder if anyone has been there before regarding removing panels, etc to route cables.

It looks like the Mag mount antenna disc can be placed in front of the rear moonroof
    and routed under the gasket channel back to the cable through connector rubber grommet for the hatch brake light into the cabin. The FM antenna location should be the passenger rear quarter window (or hidden under that pillar to be closest proximity to the factory FM antenna)

Has anyone removed the dash around the radio (I'd like to mount the pod next to the 4 way flasher and route the power and Sat and FM cables under the dash). Any hint on removing he radio area panel and rear panels would be helpful before trying to figure it out the hard way.

Thanks
    I successfully routed the antenna cables to the front (not hard since they are so thin and slip under the moldings over the doors), but I still could use some advice on how the panel surrounding the radio and center ducts is attached. (so I can remove it and route the cables up to the duct near the 4 way flasher switch and then replace the panel). For those that are interested, as I mentioned in the previous post, there is a rubber channel surrounding the moon roof you can slip the cable into if it is preceded by a thin blade to lift it up a bit as you go, and when I got to the hatch I taped it down with some black tape and then ran it over to and under the rubber gasket around the hatch and then went tucking into the gaskets and crossing the pillars along the way.(all hidden). In looking so far I don't see any screws for the radio/vent surround panel, but I don't want to just yank on it (in case there are more than just pop pins retaining it.

Anybody have the service manual that can quote the steps for the panel removal?

Thanks
    Digging around a lot I found the info needed to remove the radio surround panel. In a word it's a bit of a chore. Briefly, a number of other panels need to be removed first
    (end dash panels, lower dash panels, chrome like divider strip panels, glove box, etc)

A number of screws are involved with those panels before you take the final step to yank the radio surround panel. Be prepared to spend time to analyze first or otherwise I'd farm it out to an expert.

Heres a link to get one stated, but remember the other panels need removal first.

http://www.chevroletforum.com/archive/threads/2006-malibu-radio-removal-42672-1.- - - - html

BTW: I found the self adhesive strip for the Sirius mount wont stick to the panel plastic (I have it mounted near the 4 way flasher button and removed the Malibu insert to feed my cables through (the flasher cable is a pain when removing the surround panel). I guess if one wanted to mount in the same area without removing everything you might be able to drill a large hole in the upper vent near the Malibu label and try fishing things down, but it might take some time. The location I feel is the best for the Sirius Radio dock (It's a Stratus 4, not Sportster as I originally wrote) I'm using the audio out to a Y connector feeding and external FM modulator for both the Stratus 4 and MP3 player (the internal FM modulator is poor and can be turned off if you use the audio out) I can still see and use the 4 way flasher button with the Sirius dock justified to the right on the "shelf" in front of the Malibu label.
  • sausagekiddsausagekidd Member Posts: 1
    I have a radio from an 08 malibu....how can i hook it up in my 06 malibu maxx. i cant find a wire harness yet...will it be compatible?
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    I don't think you can make it work. You might get the radio itself to work but you will loose all of the driver information centre information. It is displayed on the radio in 06 and on the 08's it is displayed in the dash. So I don't know if you can get the 08 to display the DIC info. Good luck
  • midgetluvermidgetluver Member Posts: 7
    i'm wanting to buy an 06 maxx, the only option i like that it is misssing on this one is that it does not have the rear audio controls and wireless headphones. Not a necessity, and it should not sway the decision one way or the other, however i have a child who really likes them, and i was wondering if anyone knew if they could be added aftermarket. .
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    let's put it this way: why fuss over a luxury that is bolted to the car?? You can't take the audio system with you! Go buy a portable unit so your child can have it in the car and wherever else he/she wants. Having less "toys" in one's car makes one's car a lot less attractive to thieves as well.
  • lhuffman75lhuffman75 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx with XM radio. I would like to get Sirius radio. When I contacted Sirius to ask if this was possible, they told me to buy a SIR-GM1 radio tuner. I now have the tuner, but was wondering how to exactly install it. My husband is very mechanically inclined and has done a lot of work on cars so he is certain he can do it, but was wondering if anybody had already installed one of these tuners, and, if so, if you could give him any pointers. Thanks!
    I installed one of those $20. add on tuners from Sirius (Stratus 4)using an FM modulator to my wifes standard FM radio in her Maxx. I believe you are talking about installing an add on module that works with the factory GM radio. I can't help on that, but you do know that Sirius and XM are approved to merge and provide a great majority of the same channels on both (keep whatever radio you have be it XM or Sirius). I don't know how soon this will happen, but before going though the exercise of swapping the radios I would check further as in the future the existing XM radio you already have may just have the Sirius channels you want.

http://www.siriusmerger.com/
    teh merger is still awaiting FCC approval...and it doesnt necessarily mean that existing OEM equipment will give you access to both services....as far as the tuner...yes.....you will have to replace the XM tuner with the Sirius one...Im not sure where the XM tuner is located....or if it is integrated into the headunit....you might have to get a parts manual...or ask a professional installer to attempt it...
  • morencyjmorencyj Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I've searched searched the forums (and the net), but couldn't find the answer. All I want to do is unhook the car antenna. Simple to do? Like in a Caravan for example, its right behing the glovebox..takes seconds. I have a Sirius radio and I want to unhook the antenna so the other channels don't interfere. I don't care that I will be missing regular FM/AM...I could never go back to terestrial radio.

Thanks!
  • rdesantisrdesantis Member Posts: 30
    I have taken out several factory radios from 80's and 90's Gm cars. The antenna cable may be connected inbehind the radio tuner. In my experience after taking all the trim off around the radio on the dash board and pulling out the the radio tuner the antenna cable was attached inbehind the tuner box. If i am wrong, go to the parts counter at the dealer they will print off a diagram or go to a car stereo installation store for more detailed advice.
  • redberedbe Member Posts: 1
    these days i'm think about how to connect my mp3 to my 2005 malibu maxx. i found that there is a product can help AUDIOVOX FMM-100, but i'm looking for a cheaper way.
    i found that there is 12-pin connect on the back of the headunit, and i have found the funtion of each pin.
    ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO ACTIVE THE AUX OF THE HEADUNIT?
    1.AUX MON +
    2.AUX MON -
    3.AUX ST COM
    4.L AUX IN
    5.R AUX IN
    6.AUX ST SHIELD
    7.AUX MON MUTE
    8.NC
    9.AUX ST COM
    10.L AUX IN
    11.R AUX IN
    12.AUX ST SHIELD
  • juniorgoaliejuniorgoalie Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

Is there any dvd/cd/gps players out there that are compatible with the computer functions of the maxx? I need to be able to switch back and forth between miles and kilometers as I live near the border.

I know there is an aftermarket dash kit with display you can buy for around 150, but that looks terrible and with bad reviews regarding its function.

If theres any way to avoid that I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! -Nick
  • popadopolispopadopolis Member Posts: 16
    Nick you already have that ability in your Malibu Maxx. You see that orange colered----MPH--- in your dash that is on all the time? You are able to change that to kilomiters through your radio menu function. Use the menu button to search through the different settings and I'm sure you will find it!! Have a nice day. Pop
  • juniorgoaliejuniorgoalie Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks for answering.

I don't think I phrased my question properly.

I'm looking to get a NEW stereo for my maxx, one that has an indash dvd/navigation, but I don't want to lose the computer functions of the maxx (changing km to miles etc), and I don't want to get this thing..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-2007-CHEVROLET-MALIBU%2F-MAXX-DASH-KIT-COMBO-99-3303_W0- QQitemZ200446024245QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100306?IMSfp=TL100306173002r17974

So, what I'm trying to find out is if there is a stereo receiver available aftermarket that will do dvd/cd's/navigation and STILL retain the ability to change settings on the maxx.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks

-Nick
    having owned my Maxx for 6 years now.....I havent seen any other option available in order to maintain your DIC display since its integrated into the OEM head unit....other than the one you posted previously.
  • rferd43rferd43 Member Posts: 20
    eroni,

Did you ever find how to remove the radio on you Malibu Maxx? I have a CD stuck on the CD player (single CD) and have not been able to take the CD out. The "No CD" message comes up. I thought that if I could remove the radio I might be able to take the CD out. Any advice?
  • tyoungstyoungs Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    2007 Malibu Maxx - antenna mast broke off in car wash - where do you access the underside of mounting boss to replace the part the mast attaches to (stud broke off flush with mounting boss)
    ot sure if you go through the interior or if you access through the wheel well??
  • cwbyswthrt19cwbyswthrt19 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2004 Malibu MAXX with the Rear Seat Entertainment system. The RSE won't power on. Is there something you have to do besides pressing the power button on the unit to get it to work? If not, is there a fuse or something I should check? I am hoping that it is something I am overlooking on my part.
  • malibumaxx06krmalibumaxx06kr Member Posts: 1
    my kids have cracked the screen in the rear dvd player. i called the dealer and they say i cant just replace the screen and that its a dealer part and its 700 bucks for the whole thing. i cant afford this but i have a 3 year old that screams when he gets in the car unless the tv's on. its one of the main reasons we bought the car. please help!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
  • midgetluvermidgetluver Member Posts: 7
    If you check ebay regularly, there are often times dvd consoles and stuff for the maxx that go pretty cheaply. I missed out on a whole console that went for $50. Theres a replacement screen and dvd player for $112 right now buy it now. Heres the link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Chevy-Malibu-MAXX-OEM-DVD-Player-Screen-LKQ-- _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b6631b83QQitemZ140498901891QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVide- o
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    Hey all,
    I just want to throw this out there to help anyone I can.
    I recently lost the display on my stock stereo in my '05 Maxx. This is the 6 disc changer, the car also has the rear seat DVD if that makes any difference.
    After going through all the research to find out how to replace the stereo and get the new one reprogrammed for the vin , I spent the whole day to do it and failed! At this point I took the stereo out and took it apart.
    There are several basic parts to this stereo:
    1-faceplate- includes screen and buttons
    2-cd changer/player
    3-large circuit board-likely the radio
    4-small circuit board (half the size of a pack of cigarettes)- this board is mounted on the inside wall of the radio case. the connections between this and the rest of the radio had slipped. I tightened it up and put the radio back together and the display worked perfectly.
    two different size screws so beware!
    Very poor design by Delphi!
    Hope this helps somebody
  • amerrill0729amerrill0729 Member Posts: 1
    is there any way to change the menu and info like mpg average and oil life to you cluster :confuse: