Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Steering/Suspension Questions

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    do you have what I will refer to as a clunk in the right suspension perhaps.......if so....I think we are all settled on the fact that suspension needs a redesign engineering fix.....

also...for tire pressure....take a look but I beleive if you run 30 in the front and 29 in the back....you ride will be better as well....beleive the book calls for 29 all the way around...but runs a little better with slightly higher pressures in the front....

comments anyone??
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    The label on the driver's side door indicates a pressure of 30psi front and back. My 05 (sedan) has the original Bridgstones. As far as front suspension noise, that is one part of the new Malibu I was disappointed in verses the former design. The redesign is such a vast improvment overall but those clunks and rattles remain. I'm not sure if it's all in the suspension or if some is from those plastic fender liners, or other things. I know my brake pedal is the cause of some of those clunks.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Yes Pete, the 'Bu suffers from a jittery suspension at low speeds, when going over bumps. I think it may even have more to do with the steering rack (not column) which reportedly GM has a fix in the works for.
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Thanks maxx4me Pao, Shadow. Just came back from a short trip and was noticing if the clunk as Pao puts it was on the right side. Could not determine this. By "Clunk" I assume this is the noise of the front tires going over the seam or rut crease in the road. This is what I am speaking of and it is a bouncing audible clunking noise heard equally coming from the front end. "Shadow" brings up a point of it possibly being also related to "Plastic in the Fender". I will drop my tire pressure a bit more to 30 PSI and see what happens. If there is a problem and a fix is coming, will it be a recall or a TSB issued. Going to definitely make a complaint when I bring it in in a couple of weeks. Lets see to date 9500 mi 2004 Maxx LT, Changed Gas Tank, Steering Column, Air Bag Sensor. :cry:
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Clunks in my '04 Maxx were contributed to by steering rack (still bad), loose brake calipers (tightened), faulty front struts (both replaced, and other stuff I have not had fixed (rattles in dash, etc).

There may be stuff in fenders (liner fit is not all that good)and other parts of body contributing to this as well.
    Not sure.

Fortunately, the Maxx does not rattle as much as the '03 Saturn Ions I briefly owned (those were American YUGOs :lemon: , IMHO).
    yeah, my noise is "clearly" coming from the rack. I had the front left strut replaced, but with no improvement. The rattle comes at slow speeds when going over potholes, speed bumps, manhole covers, or entering into a parking lot/driveway and hitting the concrete apron entrance. The noise clearly sounds like the suspension is missing a few bolts and is about to fall off. It is centered in line with my steering column, which gives one the false sense that it is emanating from the front left suspension.
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    e2helper:
    I live in Northern MN. One of the reasons I bought the 2004 Maxx LS was for the traction control. Is it possible to replace the NW7 (which it sounds like all 2004 Maxx's have) with the NW9? If so any idea of a possible price for parts and/or labor?
    I have owned the car for two years, bought it new. No problems yet and am pushing 30,000 miles. It has been a great car for my wife. It won a "silver" rating for crash protection last year, I believe.
    I'd be interested in that as well, though I suspect it would be tricky.

Also not sure if the ABS on non-SS Maxxes allows for individual wheel braking (which would be needed to brake spinning wheel), rather than just pulsing all the brakes (then again, I may be shortchanging the ABS system).
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Dealer wouldn't be authorized to do any modification like that. The entire ABS valve/controller assembly would have to be replaced. Probably about $600 part retail. Then brake lines would have to be modified because new part is bigger and lines attach in a slightly different position.
  • maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    Does the NW9 independently control each wheel for wheel spin?

Is the ABS valve/controller assembly the only change?
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Well, like several of you, I have been dealing with the infamous clunk/rattle in the front end since last fall. After being delayed numerous times, and told they would notify when a fix was available, I went to the dealer last night. I took the TSB # in, and they looked it up, and I am going in tomorrow for them to confimr that is the problem. He showed me the TSB, and it shows that a gear is what is to be replaced. Is that what everyone else's fix is? He was gonna give me guff about being over the 36k, but I showed him my service ticket which the dealer had typed up in their system that they spoke with Chevy back in Dec, while under warranty and I have a Case # and Doc ID #, so he said no problem then. So, will see tomorrow what happens. I am disappointed that they never contacted me as they said they would.
  • deesmaxxdeesmaxx Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

My Maxx '04 is in the shop again with steering column problems, rock and pinion problems and whistling noise in the accelerator.

I am so tired of this car and the issues it has and I an seriously thinking of trading it in for a non-american brand. My car has 17000 miles and I've had it for two years now. Bought it brand new and the same week I bought it the steering colum went bad, then the electricity, then the radio was too hot.

Shouldn't they re-call this car? :sick:
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I took mine to the local dealer last week, and give them a 4th chance as the other dealer I tried wasn't any better. It looked like they cleaned house a bit, all new service writers that seemed much more friendly and communicative than the old ones. Now back on topic, they ordered a new steering gear for mine, but last I heard it's on back order and may take a while. Hopefully it'll be in before I move in two weeks, or I'll be without a car for a week while they fix it.
    Thanks! I just wanted to see if we all get the same story :-)
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    Mine is being installed as we speak. Took them about four business days to get it. Can't pick the car up till tomorrow morning (Wednesday). We let you all know if it makes any difference.

My 2004 Maxx has 20K, FYI.
    once again, I've been screwed; my car just sat in the dealership for two days without being seen by their "super technician." I just went in and demanded my car be returned. What a waste of time
    When I first took in in back in December, they had it for almost 10 days, before I got it back. I did have a loaner - an AVEO..... at the time the dealer said I can keep the loaner until my Maxx was fixed....good thing I didn't or I would still be driving the AVEO :-)
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Since this is not an authorized change then it is uncertain if there is anything else.

There is not an actual calibration in ABS and PCM for Malibu configuration so system performance would be uncertain.
    sorry to hear about all your troubles...had a Maxx LT purchased in Mar 04, built in Feb 04....have 73K on the car now and no problems at all.....no steering column problems.....and no suspension problems at all....

recalls are only going to be issued for safety and emissions issues...some may say the steering column is a safety issue...however NHTSA had GM do an engineering safety study..and NHTSA ruled it wasnt a safety issue
    not sure how a steering gear will fix a rattle/clunk.....isnt it rack and pinion and an electronic colmun......scratching my head now...
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    Just had the steering gear fix installed. Have not gone for a really long drive, but banging/crashing sound over certain kinds of bumps/washboard road seems suppressed and/or gone. Apparent road input into rack caused excessive play at pinion gear to make metal on metal sound and vibration. Permanent or will it loosen up over time? - as original problem developed 3000-5000 miles (as per TSB - absolutely correct). There is still noise from strut rebound and chattering, but that seems to be nature of suspension. Brake hard over rough roadway and ABS will easily activate due to wheel hop. Not enough dampening in design to eliminate/isolate harshness. Did elimination of electric steering system and change of suspension in Maxx SS end this problem anyone?

There should probably be a recall for this. Design flaw needs to be fixed on all cars made.
  • deesmaxxdeesmaxx Member Posts: 5
    Well, the steering column was replaced, again. Let's see what happens next.
    Well, about 3000 miles on the "new fix" / recall for the steering clunk. It is back now. Not as bad, but it is there. So, I guess I will talk to the service manager next week when I go in for an oil change. I have no faith that GM will fix this. We have all been put off for some time - almost a year for me, with false promises. ERGH!
    Sorry to hear it didn't help you but your feedback's appreciated!

The same thing happened to me when my rack was replaced about 4 months ago...clunks went away for around 2-3K miles and then came back.

Are you sure they used the "new" rack for your fixup?
    They did what the recall said to do - replaced a gear in the steering. I am due for an oil change next week, so I will talk to service then, see what they say. I feel like it is a waste of time to get this fixed, since no one seems to be getting it fixed right.
    My clunk is back too, has been back for a while but not as bad and it takes sharper bumps to set it off now. The part they ordered matches the part listed in the tsb. I think I'm just going to live with it, I figured the new steering gear as a last chance for them to fix it.
    yep, pretty much the same story here. I pulled out of a retail store's parking lot at 20mph, and heard the noise upon traversing the concrete parking lot apron. The rattle is noticably improved, but not gone.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    My 2004 Malibu Maxx LS with only 30k miles was totalled in a head on accident in July. No one was injured thanks to Malibu design. While I had a lot of things fixed under warranty/TSB, I was quite happy with the car, so I bought another one.

I now have a new 2006 Maxx LTZ. Have had it for 2 months. Have only driven 1500 miles around town (not currently working). This car rides much nicer than the old one. The "out the door" quality on the 06 is much better than the 04, but I do have a few problems.

1) Rattle in rear roof when driving over bumpy roads.

2) Broken rear window shades. Left side won't retract at all. Right side won't retract all the way.

3) Flutter noise from defective windshield cowl.

4) When telescoping steering wheel in/out, the gears are grinding. Release lever is not fully releasing mechanism.

5) This week, EPS is starting to go. Wheel is very hard to turn when car is not moving (when parking). And you can hear a clicking when turning wheel left and right 90 degrees each way.

Will be taking into dealer for first service soon. I am confident they will take care of all the problems.

I have not heard any rattle clunking from steering gear. Never noticed this in my 04 either.
  • tothemaxx2tothemaxx2 Member Posts: 22
    To bad about the problems. We have noticed only one since we bought our Maxx three weeks ago. It is:

3) Flutter noise from defective windshield cowl.

What else can you tell me about this problem. Is it in a TSB? Has Chevy confirmed/acknowleded the problem? What exactly is causing it (loose cowl?).

Otherwise, we are extremely pleased with out car. Performance and fuel economy are both great. This is a real fine car that few seem to know about. We have only seen two others on the road since getting ours. Quieter than our Volvo and almost as fast (the Volvo is a turbo).

Thanks
    Well, I had the TSB for the clunk fixed last month, and after about 2500 miles it is back. Took it in last night and was told Chevy won't do anything about it. The only thing the dealer can do is take the steering shaft off and use a lube pack on it. But in a few thousand miles it will be back. NOT acceptable. What can I do? I contacted Chevy about this and am awaiting their response. I, like others have been very patient on this issue. I have had this problem and been put off for over 10 months now. ARRRGH!
    This isn't the only car GM has clunky steering columns on. So I'm gonna guess they'll never really fix it on Epsilon cars. Why would they fix it on a car that's only been out since 04, when W-bodies and GMT800s have had clunky steering columns since the late 90s.
    from what I saw of the tsbs, the lube pack was an earlier fix. I have had that done to my columm several times...it never lasts.

as for me getting this fix, will be arguing with dealer on saturday, showing them earlier repair records and that the new part is ___not__ the same as what was replaced earlier. If it gets put in, sounds like it won't help very much. bummer :confuse:

Incidently, Those folks buying Saturn Auras may have that same problem in 3-4000 miles or so, as that vehicle's mostly based on what is in the Maxx!
    I had the latest tsb fix done this past summer. It was the one that I waited 9 months for! I hope the Service Advisor was wrong. I am awaiting to hear from Chevy.
    the good news is the dealer finally did the TSB regarding replacing the steering gear... much of the rattle and steering pop in my hands is gone.

but...
    when parking sometimes, I get an annoying "pop" felt through the FRAME (I feel it mostly under my left foot), as if a universal joint or something else in the driveline is shifting slightly.

Anyone else have this?
    Well, I can't find how to post in the problem section so I post here:

Long story short, dealer did the latest "fix" in August on the steering clunk, 2500 miles later, problem back and worse than before. Been dealing with Chevy, first the rep got transferred, can't get ahold, no returned calls, etc. Finally get someone, sorry if the recall fix didnt work, thats all we can do. Oh, we can lubed it ever 2500 miles. Total BS! Car has not been right since day 1, I have been put off for close to 10 months now, still not right. So, what I get a lawyer, am out $ and time, will still have problem. The rep is calling the dealer to see what they can do. This is totally unacceptable! I asked if they had a warranty on the parts, I mean you replace something, problem comes back and they say, sorry thats all we will do. I guess this was my last GM product :(
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Sorry to say I had a similar situation. Rack replaced under warranty in July '06. 7,000 miles later - replaced again (at 43k under "goodwill"). The first replacement rack was much worse at 7k miles than the original was at 36k. Totally fine now - but only have 500 miles on it since. Thinking of selling the vehicle before this one loosens up...
    Am noticing slow return of clunks and pops in my rack as well.
    It's apparently a bad design that will never be fixable.

Whether the hydraulic steering version will be any better is their guess, not mine.

A pity, but Maxx will have to go bye bye by next year as I am not waiting for the columm and rack to go bad again.
    well, GM is going to go bankrupt replacing mine until 101,000 miles. I'd suggest they come up with a fix.
    Well, I finally got ahold of someone at Chevy...1st person transeferred, second one was "terminated" and on my third person. I have an appt tonight at the dealer (who is now getting rude with me) (I am overly nice, and have been, oh well). I am supposed to take it in and have the dealer "verify" that the noise is back. I am beginging to think that it is not worth my time to deal with this. Am I correct in what I have been told, that this is NOT a safety issue?
    This is simply a design issue; where the rack and pinion meet, they rattle over time. My advice is for you to take the service manager to a gravel road and drive at 10mph. That seems to make the steering gear rattle significantly. As I and others have posted, the current TSB does not alleviate the problem entirely. I speculate that the problem may come back again. While I am disappointed in the front end, it still has not deminished my belief over two years that this is the most versatile car on the road, hands down.
    While getting oil changed at one of two dealers who have worked on my suspension, I talked with the night writer.

He told me the Pontiac G6's are doing much worse with front end rattles and clunks, and so far there is no fix in sight.

So we have the Malibu line, the G6 line, and - very soon, as they use the same parts - the Aura line all suffering from front end noise and clunks.

I do know the "turn lock-to-lock" characteristics of my Maxx have changed since the new TSB part was added. Before, the vehicle steering would "stick" slightly at the ends of its travel. Now it seems to firm up at ends of travel.
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    I finally got new steering rack last Wen.
    Don't see much difference, rattles are muted, but still there. But now then I apply breaks at highway speed (65+) car is shaking and there is a pretty loud rattle noise. Going to call dealer today....
    make sure they recalibrated the steering column...and if they removed the wheels....did the hand torque them back on.....
    make sure they recalibrated the steering column
    There is no pulling left or right
    did the hand torque them back on
    You are kidding-this is a DEALER. I am going to rotate tires in a couple of days in the other (not dealer's shop).
    Many dealers use impact wrenches that are not well calibrated. Results are warped rotors and other glitches. Many cars can tolerate this abuse. Malibus cannot (there's long, long history of brake problems with this car - check CU out !!)

I carry a torque wrench just for this reason.

Definitely have wheel torque and balance checked.
    What is exactly my point - I do not expect quality job from the dealer....
  • cinluhucinluhu Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '05 Maxx in July of this year with low mileage. It has since been at the dealer twice for minor repairs soon after purchase. However, recently the steering wheel started jerking from right to left as if the steering was "loose" according to the service dept. They found excessive clearance in the steering gear rack and pinion and replaced the power steering gear assy. and set toe.I was told that the front end was aligned as well. Has anyone else had this problem? The car feels like it will go out of control unless you keep bringing the wheel firmly to center each time it jerks. Now it's going back to the shop with the same problem. :(
    Is your car fixed or is it still suffering from the problem?

'04 and up Malibus have had issues with their electric steering (columm contacts, rattles, etc.).

If your steering is jerking or vibrating in your hands as you drive, or the steering wheel pulses left and right as you sit idling in traffic, you could have bad steering columm contacts.
    As the Aura is being built on the Maxx chassis, does anyone know if:

a. Aura is using Hydraulic suspension bushings for the rear suspension?

b. If those Hydraulic bushings (assuming they exist) will fit the MAXX rear suspension?
    Well - I has been over two weeks since steering rack replacement. Problems are back with the vengeance! Rattles are back, steering feels loose and there are popping noises.
    I made an appointment with the other dealer tomorrow.
    Actually I am at the point to cut my losses and dump the car. It has just 12.5K miles and it does not look like it is going to age well.