Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• nickpsnickps Member Posts: 18
    It might need a new battery. This would be common on a car this age.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    What do you mean by no resistance? Do you still get full travel from the pedal? I'm used to hearing about brake master cylinders - is there one for the clutch?
    On many of these cars, in the early days, the spring just snapped. In my car, I heard a "sproing" and half of it landed on my shoe. The clutch pedal would not rise more than an inch or so off the floor, but worked. The dealer said it was ok to drive straight there. The spring was replaced under warranty. A simple part, but possibly hard to access - I haven't looked.
    Good luck.
  • gregzx5gregzx5 Member Posts: 3
    OK, it's been roughly 2 weeks now and the whining sound is still there (not from me, but from the car) ....and after further experimentation it seems the sound only occurs when there is a negative load on the engine. In other words, whenever the engine is holding back the car, such as decelerating down hills ---- or, when the tranny is slowing down, such as slowing for a turn or to a stop.

Again, there isn't any noticeable performance change during the noise.... BUT, I have noticed some unrelated hesitation from the tranny when driving right around 65-70mph. I'm wondering if this is perhaps some sort of break-point for overdrive and the trans can't make up its mind on which gear to be in? (though the car certainly should be in O/D at 65mph!!)
  • darmstrongdarmstrong Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to my antenna. Could you forward
    the diagram to me please. Thanks Deb

debba341@hotmail.com
  • rickbethrickbeth Member Posts: 2
    I just heard from the dealership, I have had my 01 focus in the shop 3 times in the last 2 weeks for a "burning smell" from under the engine. The first time they told me that the focus needed a pollen filter and that leaves had fallen down onto the motor. They told me that I DID NOT have an oil leak and charged me $237 for installing the pollen filter. Several days later I smelled it again, back to the dealer, yes I have an oil leak. They told me that they cleaned the engine and that I shouldn't smell anything. Just a few days later, same smell. The service tech said that I was smelling excess oil, they put dye in the engine, and that if I smell it again to come back after 50 miles. I have had the WORST experience with this car and will never buy another ford.
  • jhgfjhgfjhgfjhjhgfjhgfjhgfjh Member Posts: 1
    My focus for a couple of years now and just recently i have noticed that the car seems to be a bit sluggish. It doesnt seem to be missing or making any strange noises, its just a little slower than it was a few weeks ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • hatefordshatefords Member Posts: 1
    :mad: My '01 ZX3 :lemon: has had ignition problems since 2002. The first time I thought was a fluke, the second, I just made the warranty deadline but still had to pay $165 in towing fees, the third time I disconnected my battery for 10 minutes, and now for the FOURTH TIME :mad: I may just tow it to the dealer and force them to buy it back! Ford needs to be held accountable for this CHRONIC :sick: problem. If anyone is circulating a petition for a class action or request for a Ford recall, let me know! I may even sign it in my own BLOOD!
  • bschattkabschattka Member Posts: 3
    Had the same experience with my car (2000, ZX3). The burning oil smell was caused by a faulty valve cover gasket that allowed oil to leak onto the exhaust manifold.

Hope this helps.

-bernie
  • gdpalmergdpalmer Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Focus Wagon is having he same problems as you were having - stalling engine without any warning.

Did you figure out the problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Gene
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi all. I broke my first cheap plastic seat lever yesterday. Does anyone know of how one can order these online? Going to Ford for these (I expect them all to break at some point based on my inspection of this first one) would certainly be a drag.

Thanks
  • elbobboelbobbo Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me, my right blinker on front is blinking like crazy as well as inside my dash. However my rear right blinker doesn't light up at all. I can turn my head lights on and it works fine, but it doesn't become brighter when the brake is applied or when the blinker is on. It's not a fuse nor my battery. Can someone please help.
    Robert :cry:
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    The bulb is burnt out, that explains everything. There are 2 bulbs in each taillight, one for the taillight and one for the brake light and turn signal. Some cars have 3 bulbs, but I believe the Focus only has 2.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Your turn-signal bulb is burned out. Replace it.

Before you ask: It's explained in your owner's manual.

Meade
  • rickbethrickbeth Member Posts: 2
    Bernie, thanks for replying to my post about oil leak and the ford focus. I can still smell the oil, only slightly now, and wonder if there's still an oil leak. The dealership said that they replaced the valve cover, is it normal to smell this?
  • jeffnjoettajeffnjoetta Member Posts: 1
    Yep, it's happened again to us lucky(?) Focus owners. Went out this morning, inserted key and...nothing. Locked up tight as a drum. Called the local dealer, oh yeah bring it on in, we've had a few of those in the past. I live in a town of about 15,000, but is it unusual that when I my car was towed to the dealer at about 9 this morning, it was already the THIRD one today with the same problem. I called a few moments ago to check on the progress. The service department had yet to get to it, but already had a fourth. Ford, wake up. You have a serious problem here.
  • iamgodiamgod Member Posts: 1
    did they tell you how to fix the problem on the focus ignition. i dont want to pay anything more than i have to. id rather fix it myself incase the situation comes up again.
    felix
  • bschattkabschattka Member Posts: 3
    Hello Rick,

Replacing the valve cover gasket cleared up the problem for me. Because you only get a slight smell of burning oil it is, perhaps, only left-over oil on the exhaust manifold.

-bernie
  • sara_psara_p Member Posts: 1
    My fiance snapped mine off too. Is there anywhere other than the dealership that I can find a new base?
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. I don't think there is anywhere to get this part other than the dealer. If you find out, let us know, because it is a pain for me to go to the dealer (particularly because every Ford dealer I've worked with have been really, really, really bad - and dishonest as well.)

I got the base from them and it only cost about 5 bucks. I was going to order an antenna on the web (Ford wanted 30 bucks or so for this piece) but as it turned out, my local mechanic was able to salvage my old antenna (he got the piece out that was stuck in their after the break.)

I tryed replacing the base on my own before bringing it to the dealer, but got stuck at the point I needed to remove the Torx thingo from the antenna base. Just could not get to it properly with the limited tools I had.

My local guy charged my 40 bucks to replace the base...but he did salvage the antenna and saved my a few bucks there.
  • sydney6060sydney6060 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Ford Focus. Here's my problem, and it's happened twice in the last month. I was coming off the highway onto an off ramp. As soon as I stop to check for oncoming cars, mine just shuts off. It will start again but dies as soon as I take my foot off the gas. In order to get off the road I have to put the car in park, 1 foot on brake and 1 foot on gas, and then put in park and just floor it. If I come to a red light or stop sign it dies again. Both times it had rained a day or so before and it happened going around a curve on the off ramp. But about 1 hour after it happens the car starts up fine and keeps running. The last time it happened I had it towed to my Ford dealer: It didn't run for the tow truck driver when he was getting it on the tow, but once we got to the dealer, it started when he took it off. The dealer put it on the computer and could find nothing wrong.
    I hate taking it, because I never know when it's going to happen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks from Nova Scotia, Canada
  • shark5shark5 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. The ignition locked up and it no longer engages the starter. It is strange that Ford does not own up to this faulty mechanical failure, since this is not an isolated case. I wonder how many owners of Focus have had this same problem?
  • sha1sha1 Member Posts: 1
    It could very well be sydney! We were shopping for a 2001 Focus today and the salesman was going over the work they have done on the vehicle. He said someone had tried the car and complained that it was skipping. He checked into it and found there had been a "Silent" recall, (Never heard of that myself) on the Fuel Pumps. He stated if you take it to a Ford dealer and ask about the silent recall it should be corrected for no fee???? This is what the salesman told us so it would be worth a try! If you go to this site and look for the investigations I believe they had indeed investigated fuel pump problems though no outward recall was listed. Good luck
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
  • ecogalecogal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ZX3 with 112,00km on it. I have had a rattle/knock in the front end for a almost a year now. I have had it looked at twice by a friend who is a mechanic. He has checked ball joints, inner & out tie rods, stabilizers, sway bars, etc... and everything is fine. I had the front springs replaced 3 weeks ago under the extended warranty. The rattle/knocking still continues. The only thing my mechanic can find is a little bit of play in the steering rack. He claims there is a "hidden warranty" on the steering rack in the early Focus'. Has anyone heard of this hidden warranty or have any ideas what could be causing the rattle/knock. It sounds like bad balls joints or links but they are fine. :confuse:
  • greghennygreghenny Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Focus ZX5 SES and the CDs won't play in the 6-disc changer anymore. It will load and read the disc then spit it out and say "BAD CD". Is there any way I can fix this? It is all CDs...not just burned.

Thanks.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Bring it back to Ford, there is a known problem with some of these CD units. Ford will replace it.
  • fred26fred26 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, add me to the list of people who have had to repair the ignition tumbler.
    Exact same fail
    Judging by the amount of problems reported to this site alone this is a manufacturing defect.
    I thought i saw someone mention a place to report this to, I would love to sign up and get this item listed as a defect.
    I called FORD who wanted between $350 and $650 to fix the problem.
    I call AAA, who connected me to a lock smith.
    Will be out of the bumper to bumper warranty on my 04 ZX3 here in about a week and a half. So far in the 34,500 miles I've driven it the car has proved to be the best car I've ever owned. I went ahead and upgraded the 5 year/100k powertrain ESC to a 4 year/100k Premium care ESC, just peace of mind on my part. I drive this car (affectionatly called Zippy) 820+ miles every week. Even at 56 below zero she didn't let me down (darn car anyway!!).
  • joshfordhaterjoshfordhater Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I am new to the forums so I don't know if the problem I am having has been discussed before. If it has, I apologize.

On to my problem. Over the last 2 months I have been experiencing a noise/hum/vibration in my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3. i bought the car used with 30,000 miles on it back in November 2004 and it now has 44,000 miles on it.
    At first I thought the noise was the new tires I just had put on and thought that one, maybe one of the tires hadn't been properly balanced and two, being a new tire I thought maybe the tread pattern on the tire was creating the hum. I had heard of that happening before and usually goes away after a few thousand miles. To further explain my last sentence, the tires I bought have an aggressive "V" shaped tread pattern to them.
    Well i got the tires looked at where I bought them, and they said that the tires looked fine and they checked the balance on them. It all came back fine. Also, when I am pulling out of a parking space or turning the wheel sharply while going really slow, like under 10-15mph, it sounds like one of the tires is rubbing against something like the inner liner in the fender well or something like that. But the Tire Dealer didn't see anything to suggest that either.
    But now the noise/hum/vibration has gotten worse. Once I get to 45mph, the hum gets loud, and the vibration starts to shake the steering wheel. If I am on the interstate around 65-70mph, the hum/noise is so loud it drowns out everything and the vibration is worse. So I thought that maybe I had a wheel bearing gone bad or a CV joint in the front going bad. Almost feels like the right front wheel was "jumping" or "bouncing" up and down a little to cause the vibration. But the front tires do not show any excessive wear to suggest this.
    So I had the car looked at yesterday by my mechanic. He looked at everything on the front, tires, wheels, CV Joints, and he took it for a drive and then had the owner of the garage take it for a drive. They couldn't find anything wrong in the front of the car and their only theories were that either a gear in the transaxle was bad or going bad or the noise was coming from one of the rear tires. Well it turns out that the left rear hub bearing has gone bad but I still dont think that is the big problem. I can see where if that bad bearing is causing the noise and hum that it could sound like it is coming from a different part of the car. Once the car is moving, the hum or noise could travel through out the entir car. My mechanic couldn't see anything about the tire rub sound I mentioned either.

Has anyone else had any problems like this? I want to get rid of this car so bad I hate it. I have never had anything but problems with Fords and I will never own another one.
  • jjenningsjjennings Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Focus ZX5, and it is going to be the death of me! :lemon:

Here are it's ailments in chronological order
    1. Brakes - crappy brakes, replaced by more crappy brakes. Finally went to a different mechanic and they've been great ever since
    2. The driver's door got stuck in the open position - eventually they replaced the door, but it took them 3 weeks to do it. They kept taking pictures and sending them off for approval and ordering one part at a time (like they'd get one part in and figure out it needed 2 more parts to make it work!!!)
    3. Alternator crapped out at 40,000. This is of course, not covered by warrantee, so I got it replaced at PepBoys (for $500 cheaper than Ford was asking) This was 2 weeks ago.

Now the new one...
    Driving along tonite. The car suddenly shudders and all the gages go to 0. I mean everything. No lights, no needles. But....the radio is playing and the car is still techincally going until I slowed way down. Tried to restart it and heard click click click. Opened the hood and looked at it (like I know what I'm looking for) and then shut it again. Wow! It started again and the gages were normal...only to clunk again and then die in the middle of the road when I had to stop for a light and stay dead for 5 minutes before starting up again. Not to mention that the transmission was acting crazy when the gages were out. We limped home and here I am. I am no officially scared of my car. Does this sound like anything that has happened to any of you? If so, what was it, and was it covered by warranty (I am broke from the alternator!)

Jan
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Go back to Pep Boys and ask them to check the charging on the alternator and the battery. Modern cars are very computerized and if the voltage is too low you can get the weirdness you experienced. The click clicking suggests a weak battery. Keep in mind the battery has to supplement the alternator at idle. But Pep Boys needs to make sure the alternator/voltage regulator are working correctly.

My mom recently had an ailling 2002 Neon with similar ghost problems. Instead of going to the dealer, she limped to a gas station which replaced the battery. Then the problems persisted so she replaced the alternator (why wasn't the battery enough to supplement the deficient alternator). Then it turned out to bethe voltage regulator, but that is now part of the computer module, so she had to replace the computer, which was costly. My guess is, the battery and the alternator were never bad, it was always the regulator. I am not saying that is the case here, only that your car's computer system sounds starved for the right power and since Pep Boys diagnosed a bad alternator, start with them, it should be free, or free plus a battery (it's about time for a battery for you).
  • gradgrad Member Posts: 5
    I had same problem with 85,000 miles (5/05) on my 01 Focus SE sedan. A nightmare-caught in a parking lot-had to be towed at 10PM. Cost 235.00. Ford was aware of the problem I found out, in a shop bulletin in Feb.05. Question: Why didn't they inform its customers? Ans: They are irresponsible. I would join a class action suit against them if one starts.
    Eugene
    New York
    I had similar problem at 75,000 miles on my 01 Focus SE sedan. It was the steering rack. Cost me $250.00 to replace. "hidden warranty-I'm looking into it. Same for my ignition lock problem that cost me $235.00. It was a nightmare-caught in a parking lot at 10PM and had to be towed. Ford knew of this problem and never told us. I'll join any class action group and contribute to it if there's a lawyer our there.Ford is irresponsible.

Eugene
    New York
    I had it twice on my o1 SE sedan. First time it was a link and they replaced it. The second time it was the steering rack (at about 75,000 miles and I paid for it) I just saw a notice in Forums that there is a "hidden warranty" for the steering rack-I'm checking it out.The sound and feel in both events was very subtle-not loud.Ocurred
    when entering a small curb cut.
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    I can't find anywhere to ask this. I keep seeing other models of the Focus..

How would a 2005 Focus ZX4/Sedan compare to a Honda Civic for reliability? (not the si)

I want a Civic. But I've been offered a 2005 Focus for less than 10,000 depending on the model I want because I know the dealer..

But I keep hearing that the 2003 and 2004s are :lemon: s and not worth it at all.. I can't find much info anywhere on the ZX4, Not even a forum on Edmunds for it. Just consumer reviews where it gets a 9.. I don't really trust it though...
  • alouettes05alouettes05 Member Posts: 6
    Are 2005 Focus owners generally pleased with the performance of their A/C units?

I picked up a 2005 ZX5 a couple of weeks back and am somewhat disappointed. Even after 10 minutes on the highway in moderate 23C / 73F weather, the A/C never gets anywhere near icy cold. On hot days, it barely cools the cabin down to a tolerable temperature.

Dealer said system had no leaks, refrigerant level fine, etc. I checked the temp. in the vents with a portable digital sensor and the air was blowing at about 7.5C / 45 F.

Someone told me these A/C systems aren't as powerful as others in the automotive world so as to minimize the mileage/performance penalty when the system is running. Any truth to this?
    I don't think the 03 and 04 Focus are lemons, I have just shy of 37k on my 10 month old 04 ZX3 with hardly any problems. I've changed the oil and put gas in it that's about it other than an alignment and a PCV valve. I drive this car 820 miles/week and its been extremely reliable, even at 56 below zero. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Focus.
  • cstronscstrons Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had this problem? I live in hilly LA but this seems ridiculous to me...the car has about 7,000 miles on it and still gets 16-17 MPG combined city/highway. Pure highway is fine, around 30mpg. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    aka... don't see you posting much anymore. glad you still like 'zippy' (right?). still haven't come up with a good nickname for ours. right now 'baked alaska' seems right. color is light tundra, but it's 90+ degrees outside. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    aka... don't see you posting much anymore. glad you still like 'zippy' (right?). still haven't come up with a good nickname for ours. right now 'baked alaska' seems right. color is light tundra, but it's 90+ degrees outside

Been too busy with work, driving, and a little camping. I still read the forums when I get a chance, but haven't posted much lately. Yes, the little Focus has been named Zippy.........since she was about 3 days old. Will turn 37k this week, no problems to speak of, just a great little car that's still a blast to drive.

BTW, we hit 80+ today. I was grumbling big time about no A/C in Zippy, had to be 120 in that car.........darn black interior!
  • yimmeryimmer Member Posts: 2
    I just got the same car a week ago and the same problem occured . It played CD's fine until I put in a MP3 disk and it spit it out bad disk from there on in all CD's spit out bad disk. I went to the dealer and exsplained they took it out to order me a new one (they needed the serial number) put it back in and off I went. They said they would call me when the new one comes in , tried a nornal disk and it works fine again but I dont want to put in a MP3 thinking it will screw it up again .
    going tomorrow to change my radio and I will try the MP3 at the dealership to see what it does.
    Yimmer

Will be updating the outcome real soon
  • hojosihojosi Member Posts: 1
    i am thinking about buying this car from a friend of a friend, it has been sitting in driveway for 6 months or so, it has 55k miles, apparently worked fine when last drove, now , i replaced battery, it turns over but wont start, half tank gas and after trying to start without pumping gas, then with pumping, smelled fuel from flooding, leaves me to believe that it is not a fuel problem, probably electrical, i am still and old school at home wannabe mechanic, used to non computerized engines, not sure what my next step would be? do i check for spark in distributor? the price is quite low at $1800 for car so it seems well worth the trouble, any help would be appreciated
  • greenhollywoodgreenhollywood Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. I recently tried to replace my turn signal bulbs. I have read the manual and removed both screws as described above, yet the housing does not want to come off. I have applied some force to the point where now I'm afraid I'm going to break the plastic on the housing. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
  • greenhollywoodgreenhollywood Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. I recently tried to replace my turn signal bulbs. I have read the manual and removed both screws as described (one that is visible when the hatch is open, and the plactic "wingnut" from inside the luggage compartment), yet the housing does not want to come off. I have applied some force to the point where now I'm afraid I'm going to break the plastic on the housing. Am I missing something here? Did you have any luck in changing them?

Thanks.
  • lotowiczlotowicz Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list! This is my second problem with my ignition cylinder - tumblers. Not only have I had to pay my local mechanic (the dealer price is outrageous) but towing fees, too. Where do I report this? I know it is a manufacturer's defect. On all my other cars I have never had to have this part replaced ever.
  • lovesboblovesbob Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2001 XZ3 from the dealership and am happy FINALLY! Have 55,000 miles and since 37,000 have had a "rubbing" noise in right front. After spending $ 303 for a hub bearing the noise is gone. I have experienced a lot of problems, usually the recalled items within 3 months of getting recall notices (battery cable, fuel pump, rear bearings, brakes @ 6500 and again at 48,000) but I love the car. Drives great and very comfortable on long distance drives, a/c works fine BUT cd changer acts up. With regard to the hub bearing, I was told that serious problems could arise (loss of steering, wheel fall off) if not taken care of promptly; I had it for 18,000 miles, go figure.
  • lleechlleech Member Posts: 1
    I have had similar problems and also don't know what to do! If anyone has ANY other ideas for me I would greatly appreciate it!! My 2005 FORD FOCUS has been in the shop 4 times since March! First I had the tires rotated & balanced by the dealer, and it kept going out of balance after that. They replaced the bearing assembly, and the vibration moved to the floor area rather than the steering wheel. Now they have rotated and balanced the tires again, checked EVERYTHING and said there is nothing wrong. But the vibration (felt mainly between 45 and 60 mph) is still present! The best explanation they could offer was that it is characteristic of the Focus!! Can someone help? Thanks!!
  • jfcjfc Member Posts: 1
    Greetings KickMan1 -
    3 weeks ago (6/3/05) I drove away with a new 2005 ZX5 SES. I had poor gas mileage from the start. The sales woman said she filled the tank the day before, but seeing the gas gae needle drop, I wasn't so sure. I began tracking the maileage with the next tank.

The first 3 tanks went like this 25.68 mpg; 28.72; and then 17.56!! At this point I had 986 miles on the car. 37 miles later, the car overheats on a major Interstate and I'm towed into a nearby Ford dealer. The next day, when they look at the car, they discover that it has practically NO coolant. The technician tells me that he had to add 1-1/2 gal. of coolant! The Service Manager surmises that the Dealer did not do the Pre-Destination inspection (PDI) before giving me the car. I ask and they perform a complete PDI. I told the Service Manager about my lousy gas mileage and he says this could be related to improper cooling, running hot, etc.

I've driven the car another 150 miles and refueled with the latest results of 25.93 mpg.
    I have a few concerns at this point: 1) Has the engine suffered permanent damage from driving it 1000 miles with very little coolant? 2) If the poor mileage is not "fixed" by having a proper coolant level, what's to be done? On this last point, I intend to make the point with Ford Motor Co. and the Dealer that this performance (and car) is not what I bought and paid for.

I know my situation differs from yours, but your 12 years of litigation experience intrigued me. Any thoughts on the possible damage from no coolant or a tact to take with Ford?

All constructive advice appreciated.

JFC
  • dupes01dupes01 Member Posts: 13
    i have a 2003 zx3. Your milage recording of 26 mpg is only slightly lower than normal. I track my milage regularly and average 29. Have had as high as 32 some times with lots of highway, but as low as 24 during periods of aggressive driving.

Most people seem to get milage in the high 20s. Turn the a/c off, put it in 5th whenever possible, don't redline every gear, and you should see improvements.
  • cdecormiercdecormier Member Posts: 1
    Same deal with the tumbler... I have a 2003 Focus SE, with 38000 miles on it, and last week, key would not turn and the steering was jammed. Turned out to be the key ignition tumbler, which is NOT under warranty (even though I purchased the Extra Care Warranty for 6 years/75000 miles). My warranty covers only steering and the ignition switch, NOT the tumbler. So $273 dollars later, I can turn my car on again... but I'm still pissed that this would fail so early on in the car's life. I also had brake problems... but thankfully those were under warranty, and I just had to pay a $50 deductible. Phew. Sad to see others with the tumbler problem... :(
  • vwayne40vwayne40 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2005 Zx3, and noted that lumbar support was lacking.
    There is a easy fix for this, and can be made in two ways, either of which will take < 15 minutes/ seat.
    The first and cheap fix is to get some foam and stuff the seat back. I would recommend a high grade carpet pad from Lowes or Home Depot. Tip the seat forward and use a small flat blade screw driver to open the plastic clip on the bottom of the seat back. This clip has a lip on each of the two sides that catches to hold secure. after this latch open, recline the seat, you can reach up inside the seat back to position the foam. There are 3 layers to the seat back, 1-cloth cover, 2-foam pad, 3-spring supports. I recommend placing your pad beneath the foam, on top of the springs, using zipties or tyewraps. Now tip seat forward again, pull edges together and latch plastic clip.
    The second method is performed the same way but gives an adjustable lumbar support. Purchase the manual pneumatic lumbar supports from Lyon's upholstery shop online. Cost was $76.00 for two units including shipping. They are quick to ship and easy to work with. Install as previously described, leading the hoses to the center console by the hand brake. I used two tyewrapps per lumbar support to hold in place.
    This fix will make a real difference for the older persons such as my self, on trips.
    Once the pneumatic supports are in place it looks like a factory install.
This discussion has been closed.