Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• flynn1011flynn1011 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much! A dealer and a mechanic were both very interested in the rumble strips. I appreciate the idea.
  • harley42harley42 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, like everyone who has has transmission problems with their ford focus, i am also totally peeved. My car has done 48000 on clock when i started to notice a slight drag in gear changing. Diagnostics came up blank. Drove it this morning and noticed the revs going up and engine struggling as it couldnt get into 4th gear. Transmission malfunction came up and car went into limp mode. We have ordered a solenoid from ford this morning. When we quoted the part number they told us they had updated their part number for XS427H148AA. Maybe they changed suppliers as the old solenoids werent up to scratch?.... Thinking it may have been the battery we also had this replaced and cleaned down all the battery terminals, changed oils and filters. Funny when we mentioned this problem to ford they said that they havent heard of this problem at all. We have had quotes for parts and if you live in america it is a lot cheaper. The part that makes it less desireable to us in Australia is the postage fees. If anyone is having the same problem I think its wise to start with the solenoids and work down from there as rebuilding clutch etc gets costly. Good luck everyone, will let you know of how we go. Cheers.
  • schro385522schro385522 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2003 ford focus and I started having issues with the transmission slipping about a year ago when I accelerate to 30-40 mph (varies between the two) when the overdrive is on. But when I turn the overdrive off it does it less often. Never had a light show up on the dash board. Took the car in to auto shop (cuz dealerships charge too much and I get a lifetime warranty on parts and labor where I go. But anyway they did a diagnostic and not one code showed up they said a tune up should fix the problem it did not. Then went on vacation and it did it a few times, then it was okay for a while no issues, then it started up again in early May this year. Looked on line and found people with similar issues and solutions they used to fix the problem which inluded and a transmission flush, which I had done and it did not work, then it roccomended changing the shift solenoid A in the transmission, I ordered the part and changed it and that did not work it still slipped and shuttered when accelerating. Went on a trip to Pittsburgh and on the way there and on the way home still had the issue. But on the way home felt shuttering when I turned right on the highway at high speeds (65-75). Then the engine light went on got home the next day the engine light was still on and went to auto zone for a free diagnostic. Machine showed codes p0300, p0301, and p0304 misfire from piston 1, random piston misfire, and piston 4 misfire, took the car back in to the auto shop they drove it around and did not feel any misfires, but reccomended a fuel system cleaning said ok. They cleaned out the fuel system and the transmission still shutters and slips. Now I do not know what to do, but the check engine light has not come on. Anyone have any ideas, solutions
  • mbale2203mbale2203 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2005 Focus ZX5, automatic transmission, as she was driving through an intersection, she said she heard a pop, then the car just stopped pulling. When I got there to help, the engine would run fine, but when she shifted into gear, there was a high pitched noise, but it wouldn't go at all. I dont feel like it's chutches, because it went all at once, and there is no smell. I have read lots of post here that seam mostly to do with sylinoids. Is there a chain, or drive belt in these transmitions? Any ideas?
  • kingnick213kingnick213 Member Posts: 12
    It may not be solenoid A, I had to change solenoid A, B and the Pressure control solenoid, there all on the same side. Mine was not engaging under a heavy load(pressing the gas too hard). The MTX-75 which is the transmission used in all focuses isn't exactly the greatest built.
    There's no belts in these trannies just a standard gears and bands transmission. the pop was probably the transmission popping out of gear, the high pitch whine is it trying to engage back into gear. Its probably one of the solenoids and you don't always get a check engine light for the solenoids, that's the cheapest way to go. Ebay has them all in a set for $140, that's what i bought, changed them all along with the fluid and filter and no problems since.
  • mcgilbert2mcgilbert2 Member Posts: 1
    I was on my way to my sister's house in NY last weekend, and when I hit the gas pedal my car acted as if it was in neutral and just would "clunk" into gear. Took it to AAMCO...I have no second gear and according to them, my "transmission is toast." The car is a 2005 with 81k on it. Getting a "used" transmission...thankfully I had the wherewithall (don't ask me how), to get "mechanical breakdown" insurance through GEICO and all that I have to do is pay my deductible or I would be crying bigtime right now. I don't think that 81k is a lot of miles....and after reading all of these posts....I would seem that the Focus has an issue with it's tranmission???? Wonder if there is anything that Ford would do about it????
    Ford won't, its not the tranmission, its the solenoids, they out around every 60k miles, aamco is wrong, when its slips out of gear and clunks back in like that and you have no second gear its solenoid B. I swear you would think even a place like aamco would do a little research but hey at least geico is paying for and not you :)
  • mgs4mgs4 Member Posts: 1
    Our ff has had transmission problems. Not selecting 1st gear on takeoff from stopped. Computer reads solenoid e faulty. Had solenoid replaced at transmission shop at cost of $650. (quoted $350 for solenoid e cost alone which from forums I have just read is a total rip off! Does anyone know australian price for this solenoid?). The problem is not fixed and now shop is saying they need to check out the car computer @ an additional 8 hrs labour. Not being a mechanical expert but suspect of a total rip off I have removed the car but need help. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with their FF transmission.
  • azmustangazmustang Member Posts: 5
    The lease will be up on my wife's 2009 Mercury Mariner (6 cyl/ 6 speed automatic) in December 2011. We haven't decided what will be her next car. The Mariner is our sixth Ford new vehicle that we've leased or purchased. The new Focus is (was) a consideration.
    The 2009 Mariner has had numerous transmission problems. It been reprogrammed twice.
    It's had numerous leaks. The driver's side short shaft and/or seal has been replaced twice. The transmission filler tube has been replaced. The car has now been at the dealership for three weeks waiting for all of the parts necessary to replace the transmission case. Apparently the transmission case has a machining defect in it which creates pressure inside the transmission forcing the transmission fluid to find away to escape, and therefore another leak. Ford's position on this is that this does not justify replacing the transmission with a new one. Their contention is that there is nothing wrong with the internal gears of the transmission. The dealership is going to take all of the parts out of the existing transmission and put them into a new casing. (I would think that if they were to add up all of the costs involved in doing this, there would be little or no savings compared to replacing the transmission with a new one.)
    I have a close friend who has the latest version of the Fusion. He has had programming issues with his transmission that the dealer can not seem to fully correct.
    I mention all of this because both my Mariner and my friend's Fusion have versions of Ford's new 6 speed automatic transmission. The Focus has a new 6 speed automatic. It may not be the same design as the trannies in the Fusion and the Mariner, but it is a new Ford automatic. I've read some reviews that state that the new Focus 6 speed automatic has some programming issues.
    It certainly seems as if Ford has not gotten all of the bugs out of their newly designed automatics.
    I would like to get some feedback from owners of the 2012 Focus. Are you having any tranny problems? As nice as the new Focus may be, I don't want to get another Ford and have to live through again what it's been like with my Mariner.
    Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  • malkawimalkawi Member Posts: 2
    dear all ,
    ford agent they know how to take your money but they dont know how to repair
    any how i have ford focus 2006 modle , once i start the car some times i'm getting the follwing error
    acceleration reduced ,then i need to stp the car and restart again
    after one week i started getting new error acceleration reduce and engine system fult , and transmission malfunction
    with this error the dash board heat is not ameter is not working with rpm meter
    abs ,light battery light and most of the light are flashing
    the ac is not cooling with this error and you will find the gear hard to change
    once i stop and restart the car every things start working fine
    any how i checked the car out side agent they informed me speed sensor
    after i changed it the same problem again
    then they informed me gear lever ( gear cable)
    i chsnged it but also the same
    latly i went to the agent of ford after two days of dignosis they gave me very long report
    they told me dash board must be changed
    thettle body must be chasnged
    tp sensor
    oss sensor
    sensor assy
    the total around 2000$
    once i changed these parts they agent will be clear about the error of transmission malfunction
    any body can advise me
    wgat to do
    mohammedmou@gmail.com is my email
  • engine6thengine6th Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2012 focus se. When at a stop you can feel the vibration through the steering wheel. Also car is a little hesitant on take off, all made worse with air on. As a owner of 15 new cars I would say this one worries me the most when I bring it in tommorrow to get checked, I can imagine serv. dept. saying they don't feel anything wrong. Overall pretty disapointed on this cars performance so far. 3rd focus.
  • malkawimalkawi Member Posts: 2
    the authorized frod agent they were going to charge me 2000$ without guarantee that the error will be fixed i went with my car to local garage after computer chk they found lose in one of the hidden wire they fixed it for 200$ every thing is working find
    two advises for ford lovers
    dont buy ford at all go to japan cars
    in case you made the wrong choice and you bought one never don't send your car to the ford agent after the three years warranty or 6000 km warranty

good luck
  • panthers40panthers40 Member Posts: 1
    where are the solenoids located and what precautions must i take when replacing them
    Buy the filter and gasket at autozone for $25 then drop the pan by removing the bolts around it, be careful if the car is hot as will be the fluid. When the pan is removed you'll see the 6 solenoids there held on by 1 bolt per solenoid. First remove transmission temperature sensor attached to the filter and remove the filter. Now remove the solenoid that you wish to replace,
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/focus%20transmission%20solenoids/danskool/sol- enoid.jpg

here's a diagram above, if its not shifting into 4 or 5 replace A and B solenoids or just replace them all, they sell a kit on ebay for all of them its $140

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4F27E-TRANSMISSION-SOLENOID-KIT-99UP-FOCUS-OEM-/3- 20710732177?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aabd96991

I ended up just replacing all of them to avoid the hassle later, the only real precautions you have to take it to be careful disconnecting the wires from the solenoids as to not break them. Too make sure you know exactly how much fluid you took out, save the fluid you took out and pour it in to 1 quart bottles and count how many and add only that amount back, transmissions are very picky and you must not overfill it. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions. The torque for the bolt on the pan is about 16ft pounds tightening in a STAR pattern.
  • dpj311711dpj311711 Member Posts: 2
    The transmission in my 07 focus automatic hesitates between 1-2 gear or maybe 2-3. It wont shift up right away and rpm revs higher than usual. Is this a solenoid issue? Also the ebay link you listed is that for an auto or manual transmission?

The steps to change them would be.
    Put car on ramps, remove tranny pan, drain fluid, change solenoids, replace filter (while I can) put pan back, pour old fluid back in.
    Yes its a solenoid issue when it rev's like that, 90% of the problems with the MTX-75 will end up being just a bad solenoid, they tend to wear out around 60k miles. Your steps are correct but I wouldn't use the old fluid and yes those solenoids listed are for an automatic.
  • dpj311711dpj311711 Member Posts: 2
    Would you recommend I try the A solenoid first or do all at once? I don't want to waste money and time changing things that aren't broken.
  • sbitzsbitz Member Posts: 1
    2001 focus work done: rebuilt tranny, 2 valve bodies, 2 entire sets solenoids, 2 solenoids wiring harnesses, volt tested harness into tranny?? sluggish from dead stop but once moving is ok until hot then revs and drops into gear but ALWAYS downshifts perfectly at stop sign hot or cold. HELP PLEASE have spent a lot of time and money now just need a solution any help appreciated.
    If that's true and you really had all that work done, that's ridiculous. Make sure when you have work done you ask for the old parts, they have to give them to you unless there's a core charge which usually there isn't on transmission parts. When it rev's up and then pops into gear its because the solenoid isn't opening and releasing the fluid to switch the gear, its got nothing to do with the valve body, they don't really go bad, they usually get dirty and clogged which causes the check balls to stick, I hate to say it but it sounds like your getting robbed.
  • heather214heather214 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently having this problem with what do you know the exact same car same year everything, i was told this morning it is my reverse gear idle.
  • dunes09dunes09 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Just had a question. I was driving my wife's 2006 focus with an auto transmission, it seems that it over revs when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. If she lets off the gas it will slowly go into 3rd gear then quickly changes to 4th gear. I am wondering if this is a solenoid issue or gear issue in the transmission? We have never had the transmission filter changed either. This is the first issue we have had and the car has over 90,000 miles on it. Any input would be appreciated! Also, there are no check engine lights and every other gears change is fine. Can a solenoid go bad with no check engine light?
    Now the O/D light is flashing!?! Help!!
  • koetyb87koetyb87 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue I just dont know which solenoid to replace. It revs when switching from 1st to 2nd and catches hard. Then does it a little bit in 3rd. I am getting irritated :mad: trying to figure this out. When I went to Oreilly's to run the codes on it I came up with P1120 (TPS) I changed that out and its no different except now it doesnt stall on me. Any advice before I go blow my money? :sick: Thanks Ford... :lemon:
    edited October 2011
    solenoids a/b, but as always I just suggest replacing the whole lot but that depends on your financial situation, its about $140 for all of them on ebay here's a diagram http://media.photobucket.com/image/ford%20focus%20solenoid%20a/danskool/solenoid- - - .jpg
    Also Solenoids A/B are the ones with the green tabs on them when you pop the pan off. The longer you drive it without replacing them, the more you will wear down bands causing it to slip every now and then even after replacement of the solenoids.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4F27E-TRANSMISSION-SOLENOID-KIT-99UP-FORD-FOCUS-/3207107- - 32186?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aabd9699a
    Exact guy I bought mine from, took me 2 hours including replacement of the filter and fluid.
    Also just an add, I had no codes when it happened to me, started out slipping and then the O/D started flashing.
    -And if anyone is interested whats happening is the solenoid is not opening completely which isn't allowing enough fluid to travel through the valve body to the clutch packs and servos, automatic transmissions work off hydraulic pressure to mechanical force, the pressure from the fluid locks up either a clutch pack(metal plates against a friction disk) or forces a servo against band which gives you gear reduction, direct drive or overdrive. Just and FYI that might help when going to a tranny shop.
    Well it threw code P0772 Solenoid E stuck open. I dropped the pan and swapped out the solenoid and filter. Slapped it all back together and STILL slipping from 2nd to 3rd. But O/D light isn't flashing anymore and no check engine light. I am very frustrated!!!!
    Yeah that's why I just suggest replacing all of them, I replaced them all at around 60k miles, no problems now and I'm at 92k miles. I've done the same thing, I replaced the pressure control solenoid, then solenoid b, it wasn't until I replaced the rest of them that it had no more problems, just make sure if you do decide to change the rest, you change the filter and fluid too. If that filter gets clogged, there's going to be less pressure and line pressure in an automatic transmission is everything.
    I will try that and report back in a couple of days! Thank you!
    edited October 2011
    This is for anyone who keeps getting automatic transmission problems on the ford focus. Its a equipped with and MTX-75 Auto Transmission, If your vehicle has less than 100k miles and its having trouble engaging 1-2 or 2-3 or even overdrive, it's most likely one or more of the solenoids. The car has 6 solenoids which allow lockup of the clutches and bands, if they are not opening to allow fluid pressure, you won't be able to change gears or it will be delayed. The best thing to do is by all of the solenoids off ebay for $140 here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/4F27E-TRANSMISSION-SOLENOID-KIT-99UP-FORD-FOCUS-/3207107- - - - - 32186?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aabd9699a
    Next buy the fluid and filter from any auto parts place, it will come with the gasket.
    1-Drop the tranny pan, its on the drivers side under the vehicle
    2-once the pan is down you will notice all the solenoids, the 2 green ones are the same along with the black ones on the opposite side, so you can't screw it up. The black one next to the 2 green is the pressure control solenoid, just unscrew and un-clip each solenoid replacing it as you go, the 3 solenoids on the drivers side that are the same, there is a bracket that holds them in place, remove and replace all of them one by one.
    3-replace the filter, remove the temp sensor attached to it, replace the filter and re-attached the temp sensor-sounds hard but it's self explanatory.
    4-replace the pan and blots with the new gasket(you can use gasket maker as an alternative), torquing them down to 75 inch pounds, if you don't have a torque wrench just tighten them in a star pattern to what you feel is snug.
    5-Replace the fluid you drained, about 4 quarts, to measure the fluid you took out, take pan you used to drain into and fill a quart bottle as many times as necessary to find out how much you took out. DO NOT OVERFILL.
    6-start the vehicle, with you foot on the brake, go through each gear, 1-2-3-D-R-N twice. Once done, wait 5 minutes(has to be warm) and check the fluid using the dipstick, check both sides of the dipstick, the side that is lower is correct. Fill until it is between the lines. Again do not overfill, its better to under-fill a little and top it off after each check.
    7-Test drive and recheck fluid level
    Note-here is a diagram of the solenoids http://media.photobucket.com/image/ford%20focus%20solenoids/danskool/solenoid.jp- - - g
    -Also the reason I say below 100k miles is after that, the friction material on the clutch disks and bands will begin to wear down and need to be replaced which is a whole different animal, it involves disassembling the transmission(basically a rebuild), a bit sick of people getting screwed over by shops who don't know how to fix these simple problems, you would be amazed at how many shops don't actually know how an automatic transmission works, they just throw parts at it.
    -If after you change all the solenoids and it works but still does a minor slip every once in a blue moon, this is because the bands have slipped so much it's wore some of the friction material off, this will happen every now and then until the transmission is rebuilt but it will get you from a to b for a good 50k miles, if it doesn't your good.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    that's right..if you have a lot of slippage, rather than delays or no-shifts, it's probably not the solenoids.
  • sweetangelsweetangel Member Posts: 1
    It has been slipping like everyone else has been talking about and hesitating to shift. Last night while I was driving it jerked and started making this awful grinding noise. I stopped cause I also need new sway bars and I thought that it might be the problem. When I tried to go again I put it into gear and it took a few seconds to actually do it and it made the grinning noise when it did. So I put it back into park and it did the same noise. Do I need a whole new transmission?
  • gooniegirl180gooniegirl180 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have up to now been enjoying my first ever brand new car - an automatic 2011 Ford Focus LX which I got just over 4 months ago. I'm fairly heavy on the kms and next week I expect to hit the 15000km mark.
    Since the car reached about 9000kms, I've been having trouble with the transmission - or, perhaps not! I can be driving quite sedately, in a straight line even, when suddenly the "Transmission Malfunction" warning alarm comes onto my odometer screen, and the DSC warning light illuminates on the dash. The funny thing is, that despite all the bells and alarms, the car just keeps on driving normally! No "limp home" mode, no problems with gear changes - nothing. Once I've turned the engine off, the whole lot resets and when I start up again it's like nothing ever happened.
    I've had it into the dealership THREE times now and they haven't been able to fix it. After the second visit, the car went wild, to the point where the transmission malfunction would re-alarm if someone got out of the passenger side and firmly closed the door - but still no issues with it's driveability! So, back it went and they changed a switch, and checked all the earthing wires, but low and behold, two days later the fault reappeared.
    Today I just happened to be driving past a Ford Dealership when the Christmas tree lit up, and this time both the DSC and Engine Warning lights lit up on the dash, the latter of which is now on permanently (as happened also after the second dealership visit). Without turning off the engine, I asked them to download the codes for me and these are what they got:
    P0700 - 63 - PCM
    P0705 - FF - TCM
    P1702 - FF - TCM
    U2023 - AD(?) - AB (J or 5 or S, I can't quite read it)?
    I had to pick up my daughter and the Transmission Malfunction alarm went off on my way and then again when she closed to boot after putting in her schoolbag and once more when she closed the rear passenger door after getting in the car. It sounds like an electrical fault, but they say they've checked the wiring, clearly to no avail.
    The only other thing that I can find is the possibility that there is a battery problem which causes the transmission to reset. But would that throw the codes above?
    Has anyone had this kind of problem or provide some hints as to how to fix it???
    Thanks!
  • alwaysonthegoalwaysonthego Member Posts: 1
    I was in town at a red light. When i took off, i made it into the median when the car just stopped pulling. It would not go into any gears at all. It was like it was stuck in neutral in all gears. When i pushed the gas it made a metal spinning sound for a few minutes then nothing. I had to coast it back into the turning lane. Thank god i was on a hill. It is an automatic. It is full on fluid. Now when i try to put it into gear, it sounds like it wants to go into gear, it just does not pull at all. There are no lights flashing or anything. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, the security light started flashing again but that was it. I can not afford a big mechanic bill. If anyone can help me figure out what the problem is, i would really appreciate it. I do not mind doing the work myself if it is something i can do. Thanks in advance.
  • kingcarzkingcarz Member Posts: 3
    I have had this loud rumbling noise in my 01 Ford Focus for about a year now, and still looks like new. The faster we go the louder it gets, loudest at 60 MPH. We have had this car for 4 years, it has 170,000 miles, It has been a good car with no problems but usual maintenance, I have pulled the bad ball joints, the axles and bearings and they feel good yet, but when I pulled the drive axles out, I looked inside and tried to turn the output bearing with my fingers, the axles displayed some blue coloring of over heating where the drive axles contact the transaxle output bearings, the gears did turn freely inside. My question is does this transmission have output bearings or bushings? Are they suppose to turn freely? And is this a problem anyone have heard of or dealt with? Thanks, Todd
  • erik_merik_m Member Posts: 2
    I was having the same issue with my 2005 ford focus and replaced the solenoids from the company that you linked, I swapped out all the solenoids and it didn't cure the problem. My vehicle won't shift into second or overdrive still. Before I took it apart I had a code for solenoid L stuck open. Any one else having the same issue? Any help that might work? Thanks
  • dno36dno36 Member Posts: 71
    Did you scan it for all trouble codes first??
    Why did you swap ALL solenoids??
    "L" being open could be external electrical also...wire or connection.
    GL
    Dean
  • erik_merik_m Member Posts: 2
    Yes I pulled the codes and the only one that came up was solenoid L was stuck open. It looked like it was a similar problem as those that were on here so I took the chance and replaced all of them since they were original. I'm curious what wiring or connections I should look at or how I can test some of them. The connection at the solenoid looked good so it's not in the tranny. What are some of your thoughts.
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    I have a friend at my dealers Parts Dept, when I griped at his price for a Tranny Filter & Gasket he told me this.

"Go to O'Riely's or NAPA, their stuff is good, NEVER buy a Autozone or Advance Transmission filter as they sometimes have a cardboard like dust substance that can plug up orifices or cause other issues "

He is not the First to warn me about buying tranny filters from those guys.

For the cost of repairing a transmission, I suggest paying a couple dollars more and get em from the two I mentioned, OR get em at the dealer.

DrVette
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    I suggest taking an "alternative" vehicle to some dealers and "Test Drive" several other cars with the same driveline as yours.

Note the vibration or lack of in the wheel..

Drive MORE than two or three to be sure to get a general consensus.

If YOURS shakes, AND the others Don't, you have a few options.

1. approach the Head" service writer with your issue, then the Dealership Mgr then Owner if No Joy is found.

2-a
    Ford Website and other phone numbers
    http://customerservicenumbers.com/co-ford

2.b
    1-800-392-3673
    Press 0;
    at prompt press 0;
    at prompt press 0;
    at prompt press 1;
    at prompt press 0.

Last Option, check your state's Lemon Law and pursue that avenue.

DrVette

You didn't say if it's an AT or Stick.
    As I "understand" the 6sp Auto is actually a Dual-Clutch Manual Transmission that is electronically controlled.
    This may be for the "Festiva" only and not the Focus, I dunno for sure
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I would appreciate anyone with a 2012 focus with the new style auto trans to comment on drivability issues, if any. I am buying a new car in 2 weeks and it has come down to the focus or the 2012 camry. Toyota quality has slipped quite a bit in the last several years yet the focus does not give you any bang for the buck and I have read some reports here about the focus trans repair issues. I know the shifting is different. Any responses, I thank you.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Well, I would of had an SEL Focus HB but the Tranny scared me.I don't know why they went with a dry DSG and it's sealed also. I reseached its timing belt or chain to see if it was an iterfaced engine.Whent to C@D, Auto Express and drove 2 of them.
    I'm waiting until the spring.Maybe Mazda will do something with their Sky Active.
    I mean 25 to 26 K for a Focus makes a cruise look tempting.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I have a 2012 SEL hatch built on 4/29 and I haven't had any transmission issues. At first, it shifted a little hard and it took around 800-1000 miles for the shifting to smooth out, now it's perfect. Some cars have experienced a shudder and shifting concerns that have not smoothed out over time, those issues were cleared up with reprogramming. Cars built after August or September have the new programing and are not experiencing any issues. I'll also add, if you are considering MyFord Touch, you should not have any concerns. Cars built after October have an entirely new software design and owners with units built prior to that date will receive a usb drive early in the first quarter of 2012 with a total software update. I love my Focus, it's smooth, quiet and gets great mileage and it looks good too. I hope this helped.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    thank you.
  • polter12polter12 Member Posts: 4
    DO NOT BUY A FORD. I purchased Ford Focus 2012 6 months ago and transmission is a problem. Dealer keeps resetting computer, upgrading computer software still a problem. I am certain it is a design flaw and Ford wishes me to accept a less then solid car. If you want to settle for sub par workmanship then Ford is your choice. If you want well built and reliability then Toyota, Honda, Hyundia are you options. You would think that by now American Car makers would be able to produce solid cars. Its a crap shoot, you might get lucky and be fine. I can't stand Ford dealer soaked me for full retail on this 2012 focus and transmission is messed up. Sometimes the transmission will work OK if you press the gas just right but if you don't it sputters and grinds. The dealer now is telling well that just how the transmission works. An occasional grinder a sputter here and there, it's fine they say. I say I purchased a brand new car and should not have to accept sub par performance. Again if you don't mind getting the shaft then go ahead and purchase FORD
    I am experiencing a similar issue in my Ford Focus 2012 automatic with 16,000 miles.
    Vibration and hesitation as you described also transmission grinds(rattles) sometimes when you let off the gas and apply the gas between gears shifting.
    The dealer keeps resetting and updating computer software that controls the transmission. NOT WORKING. Last time around they are saying well that is just how it works. OMG now they want me to accept a sub par performance and forget about it. Frustrated.
  • toltecahtoltecah Member Posts: 1
    Here is my story...
    December the 20th, 2011
    To whom it may concern:
    I bought a Ford Focus SEL 2012, in a local Ford “CarOne” dealer. The sales person that sold the car to me said that I was buying one of the best cars in the market, with extraordinary new technology and that it is unique in the world.

With that on mind I had to arrange all the documents necessary to make this happen and be one of the first costumers to buy the all new Ford Focus 2012.

On the 30th of May, I received by email the invoice and on the 6th of June my new car arrived to the dealer and I picked it up. At first I was very happy until all problems started to appear.

I had to take the car back to the dealer because something was wrong with the computer inside, the touch screen it was continuously resetting and a black screen appeared saying “it was performing an scheduled system maintenance”. The person from the dealer’s workshop told me that it was nothing to worry about and it was a matter of programming the computer again. After that, apparently the touch screen was working fine.

Again on July, I had to take the unit back because I felt something was working wrong with the unit’s transmission, the shifts were not working right, I don’t know exactly how to explain this, but the transmission was bumping, hitting within itself. I immediately took the car back to the dealer’s workshop and they told me that what the car needed was an additional computer-programming process and the car stayed for two days. Another failure in this “new” unit is that as of today the pilot door and the door behind are misaligned in relation to the rest of unit’s body. I also have asked to fix this problem but nothing has happened.

After that, I took out the car from the workshop and at first it did feel different but the truth came up a few days later showing the same symptoms. So I did take it back again to the dealer’s workshop. By August, I had taken my Ford Focus four times back to the workshop because the computer and the transmission problems continued to appear.

This time, he told me again that the problem was neither in the transmission nor in the motor; he said that everything was about programming the computer again. So this time he asked me to drive another unit to try it and see how this unit was working so he can copy the programming and put it into my Ford Focus 2012 unit´s computer. We did the test with a Ford Focus 2012 SEL PLUS, and this unit worked fine. He copied the program and pasted it into the memory of my Ford Focus 2012.

Again, I took it out from the workshop but I had to take it back because something was wrong with the touch screen, the volume was going up and down with no reason. This time I talked with the Ford Dealer’s General Manager to let her know all the problems this unit was having and that I was not happy with the quality of this Ford Focus SEL 2012.

A few days later, by mid September the same bumping and hitting was still feeling in the transmission, this was the sixth time I took back the unit to the workshop and after 2 days of the unit being there, they called me and told me that one of the reasons of the bumping and hitting it was because a motor mount was damaged. He asked for the piece to Mexico City and 2 days later it arrived to the dealer’s workshop. They changed it and once again, for a few days, the car was feeling somewhat better, but not completely. In time, it started to feel like it was losing power between shifts, it felt like I was driving a manual shift transmission instead of an automatic transmission.
    Once again the bumping and hitting within the transmission began to reappear, and again last Friday, December the 16th the unit was taken to the dealer’s workshop. And again, they told me this time it was only a matter of programming. He also told me that he had a software update and that he will be installing it into the Ford Focus SEL 2012’s computer. He also said that he will need to perform a driving test so the computer can learn and after all these new strategies the car will be ready to hit the street again.
    They assured me that with the new programming my Ford Focus SEL 2012 would be ready and I would enjoy all the features of this wonderful unit.
    Saturday the 17th by noon, they called me to tell me that the car was not working well and it was showing the same symptoms, bumping and hitting within the transmission.
    Today is Tuesday the 20th of the December 2011, I have called the General Manager to tell her that my patience has reached its limit and that I need an immediate solution. I have asked her to lend me a car meanwhile we completely fix the problem because I have been without a car each of the seven times that the car has been in the workshop. As you can see, this situation is completely out of what someone can expect of a new vehicle. I believe I’m not asking for much since I’m taking the car for guarantee and they have made nothing to compensate the inconvenience.
    My Ford Focus 2012 has run 6,650 kilometers (4,132 miles).
    With the experience I have had so far with the acquisition of this Ford Focus, I feel I would never again buy a Ford unit nor recommend FORD as an option to my family, friends, colleagues etc. I’m very unsatisfied with FORD dealer in Monterrey, México and with the functionality of this unit.

Only through a lasting solution to my problem will I be able to change my current feeling towards your company.

Therefore, I want my money back or a total change of car. I am contacting Ford’s Corporate Offices because I believe and am confident that you will be able to give a definite solution to this painstaking problem as soon as possible, given the commitment to quality and customer service that you constantly promote.
    Keep us posted regarding contacting Ford�s Corporate. I will be taking my ford focus 2012 back for the 5th time in a couple weeks for the transmission problem. Soon I will have to contact Corporate myself and potentially go down the road of Lemon Law. :lemon:
  • carburetor1carburetor1 Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with about 32,000 miles driven. In the last few months, the automatic transaxle has started behaving strangely, meaning un-requested shifting, momentarily into another gear. Because the car is driven always with the overdrive on, the shifting must be into a lower gear. At first the phenomenon only happened one of two times during a 10 ten mile drive, but she had our local trusted auto garage inspect the operation of the transaxle and do a flush job on it. The auto guys there could find no problem, or did not experience the un-requested shifting.
    The phenomenon is happening more often now, maybe six times during a 30 mile drive and it seems to be correlated with the following driver actions: switching from low beam to high beam head lights, switching on the turn indicator , changing the wind shield wiper speed, turning on the cruse control on or off, We are waiting for the intermittent action to happen enough so that if we give the car to the auto garage again, they can experience it and get some insight.. The phrase on the forum “Transmission or Electrical problem?” seems appropriate. The Overdrive button works OK, as does the light. I am theorizing that a sudden change in electrical voltage make be causing the action, but it is a feeble attempt at understanding the issue. If any one has any insight, we would like to here it.
  • kingcarzkingcarz Member Posts: 3
    I figured out my noise, seems to have been front bad wheel bearings, well since I was there, the lower ball joints were bad, it seems that things go out in pairs as my brake calipers did earlier this year at different times.
    So I replaced both wheel bearings, both lower ball joints, both drive axles, both tie rod ends, both sway links, both brake rotors & pads, transmission filter & fluid, spark plugs and wires, serpentine belt and splash shield, oil & filter, gas filter, air filter.
    That should have taken care of things in the front half or car, ready for another happy 170,000 miles.
    My next project, rebuild / replace the rear components to secure any rear end problems.
    edited December 2011
    Well, what happened?