Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    I agree with you 100% I think the real problem is the salesman at the Ford dealers are not telling people that these cars are not traditional automatic transmission but actually a automated MANUAL I researched the car before I bought so I was educating the salesman when I bought mine but can you imagine the disappointment of someone who never drove a stick and then buys a Focus not Knowing it’s a automated MANUAL?
  • maniac4maniac4 Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2012
    Anyone drive both? how different are they? And do you think the dual clutch will survive?
    curios.
  • johnnyb15johnnyb15 Member Posts: 1
    Iv had problems with my 2012 forcus and my wifes also. I took it to one ford dealer they installed these so called updates and it was good for a while then went back to [non-permissible content removed] shifting. So I called another ford by me and they were stright forword. saying they have problems with the clutch packs going bad inside the trans and to fix that it needs to be rebuilt. I have warrenties on both and it wont cost a thing. Just letting everyone no thats what the problem seems to be. Plus the transmission are made in china now so that could also be a mistake.
    hey johnny..So are you saying the beefier clutches are available without asking for it without a shotgun, Are we going to get a letter to your fact?. I want the new clutches too! how do I get that done?
  • jgdarlingjgdarling Member Posts: 11
    I Have taken it to different dealers they tell me nothing is wrong, so how do you get them to fix something they say has No problems, of course they arent driving it when it almost stalls out or loses power etc.
    jg darling. I figure this transmission will get fixed, Or ford will file for chapter 7. They put to much time and money in it. errr I mean the consumer did.
    It may be too late for ford.
    replace the dct with a conventional auto and Walllla what tranny problems.
    But they doubled down with it for the 13 models.Thats what I call top notch management.
    I expect to see a class action suit real soon.
    Ford did not take a bail out. We gave them it $ with this driveline. We as in consumers.
    ford had better get on it real fast. Or perish.
  • gwright2gwright2 Member Posts: 1
    That is exactly right bobananda! I purchased this car and specifically asked if it was a standard and they told me no. I told them I didn't want a standard transmission. I have had them before as well and I have to tell you. I don't think knowing how to drive one has anything to do with it. This is an awful transmission and a terrible car and Ford should be made to do something!
  • jgdarlingjgdarling Member Posts: 11
    took it back 6 times, still not fixed, almost stalled out on me 3 times last week, traded it in this weekend, hated that car I have never hated a car before, but now thank god I have a car that actually goes when I put my foot on the gas! Bye Bye Ford will never own another one!
  • meganmeistermeganmeister Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 ford focus pretty much did the same thing. i was at the store and put in reverse and backed out fine then put it in drive and it wouldnt go at all with a loud roaring noise. when i pushed on gas the motor just reved up and acted like it was in nuetral. still have not found out what is wrong. have you maybe found some answers yet? please HELP!
  • lunaparklunapark Member Posts: 2
    Well...I can tell you this. I bought mine in April 2012. I have driven about 63,000 miles so far and I was going to buy the manual and opted for the auto. Why? Hands free driving. I am a car guy, and love shifting, but I have noticed while the shifting is a little weird in the auto, what is ment by a manual automatic is that the car has dual clutches like a manual transmission but uses a computer and a actuator to change gears. This was done, so that the engineers at ford could have better control over gas mileage. There are some inheirent problems with the dual clutch design. With a manual clutch, there is flywheel, clutch disc and presure plate. With this dual clutch thing, to have it serviced is a $2200 repair. How would I know that? The seals started to leak at 30,000 miles. It was covered under warranty, but the dealership was actually a little surprised because when I showed up they didnt have any other cars with that kind of mileage on them as of yet. They replaced what they called the clutch unit, which included a piece of hardware and two disc. I drive the car every way the car can be driven and it sees highway miles and back road miles every day. Living in Raleigh, NC, you have to drive it a bit agressively, and the car in my opinion, does a really good job. My previous car was a 2006 Pontiac GTO, a 2008 Corvette Z06, and a 800 RWHP 2002 Trans Am, so I feel qualified to speak on behalf of the car and the transmission.
  • lunaparklunapark Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Haven driven my Focus and was going to buy the Dart, but it was not out when I got the Focus in April, 2012, The focus drives, handles, and feels faster than the Dart. The Focus feels more compliant on the road. I was so excited when a dealer called me from an hour from my house about receiving the first Dart, I got in the car and drove down with the intention of trading in the Focus, only to be so extremely disapointed. Dodge had such an incredible opprotunity to get it right, and they so missed the mark and the thing has a Turbo in it and the Focus out accelerates it in N/A form.
  • hwiebehwiebe Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem as johnnyb15. I had the updates done before Christmas and now it's doing the same thing again - slipping into neutral it how it feels - back and forth. Can't get any speed out of it. Left it back at the dealership and told them not to call me until it's fixed once and for all.
  • jdavid17jdavid17 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Ford Focus with 95,000 miles. I'm having the very same issue as #579 above. Most of the time it is working ok - but now and then, it will ref like in neutral. It has happened when just starting out. But also when going down the highway at 70 mph. Took it to a shop this past week and they are saying that the transmission will need to be rebuilt. That there are two bore holes in the transmission that need to be rebored. And cost will be around $2,600 plus tax. Ouch. It has been a good car - until this. Have never had tranny problems in any past car for 45+ years. So very frustrating. (Mechanic said that Ford has had transmission issues.) QUESTION: Does anyone know of possible ways to get this fixed for less? No warranty. Just looking for possible alternative solutions. (Or would it be better to sell it and get something newer? Pro's and con's?) Thanks....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    $2600?? You could buy a brand new transaxle from Ford for less than that. Maybe you need to shop around a bit and get a second opinion on this issue.
    Thats way high of a price.........aamco should run around 1,500$. remove and replace. You are getting taken advantage of In my opinion!.
  • chrismac80chrismac80 Member Posts: 1
    the car is an automatic transmission has 70k miles on it i was driving along one day and the transmission kind of cut out in around 3rd gear and sounded like it was free wheeling , the overdrive light did come on but once i pulled over (silly) i turned the engine off and it wiped the code . Since then i have heard the same noise occasionally is there any way of checking the problem other then code reading and is anyone a mechanic these days who can troubleshoot without charging an arm and a leg? was quoted $400 just to drop the pan . only a few weeks before another light came on for the airbags and was wondering if by the off chance this could be related?
  • just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    My brother tells me that the S mode can be used for 2 things. 1 Manually shift the car with the button shifter or 2 pull it into S mode and just drive it. He said it shifts much better around town and its not fussy. It does not go into 6th gear so it kind of a City/sports mode. I am going to try it tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it works around town.
    Arent the cluches on the powershift covered to 60k miles?
  • pkolinskipkolinski Member Posts: 1
    I just got my ford focus 2012, used, in august and I found out that my transmission is leaking and causing the cluches to slip. also found out my warranty ends in 2014-(warranty started in 2011)must have only been a 3 years warranty or 60,000 mile. I had a 2002 focus and never had a problem with anything. I loved it but now I am worried about having more issues with this one. Luckily the warranty covers it now. but what about next year/ I hope after this is fixed that will be the end of it.Maybe this info will help others, I hope so.
  • toolate1toolate1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone confirm is late model Focus are affected by the transmission owes or not. in the news i see Ford reporting the the programming has been changed byt I doubt that is the real issue
    Im a little confused . Isnt it three year 36k mile bumper to bumber and 5 years 60k drivetrain warranty?

That entire transmission should be a warranty item. Including the clutches. But I cant get a specific answer. The driver has no input as to what the clutch does, As contrary to a stardard shift. On a standard I can see where a new driver can burn out a clutch.But I cant see a new driver burning out these. no input.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    You are wise to doubt. The frequency may be lower, but there are still MY '13 owners reporting transmission "quirks".
  • starluck3000starluck3000 Member Posts: 14
    I drive in the S mode quite a lot.....I find that it does less of the "shuddering" so to say but it still does. I let it shift automatically instead of using button shifter. Hasn't solved it, but I still want to get it in anyway....I switch back and forth from Drive and S....makes a difference to me...It's still aggravating though! :confuse: ">
  • dd123dd123 Member Posts: 53
    Thinking about buying a ford focus 2013 automatic
    Looking at the transmission problems here, I am reconsidering my decision and thinking about going for civic 2013.
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    dd, go to Kelly Blue Book focus s consumer reviews. I just bought a Focus Ti $25,000 and I'm afraid to drive it.
    I've been locked out twice the Sd card failed and so did the bluetooth, as the screen frooze I 'd stay away from a focus.Toooo many problems with the transmision and MFT.
  • mifocusmifocus Member Posts: 1
    2013 models also affected. Bought new '13 Focus SE which had oil leak from rear main seal leaking onto cluthes. Defective from the factory. At 7000 miles finally took it in and got the bad news. Took Ford 2 weeks to get parts, only showed up after calling Ford's customer service.

After repair, transmission does shift more firmly - but you have to wonder how long. Car sat for a couple of days, when it was started and put into drive it made a loud noise as the clutches appear to be sticking. Back to the dealer.

Automatic/Manual transmissions seem to be a disaster. Wished I had read other comments earlier.
  • toolate1toolate1 Member Posts: 2
    how did you know you had a problem?
    Surprising no class action law suit yet or recall
    There is a class action suit google it or read KBB complaints on the Focus trannies. I think the title is Focus S tranny probs. :sick:
    Just curios would a select shift from a escape swap out to a focus?. the 2.5 liter block looks the same.I think it might work. the bolt pattern appears the same. but I didnt measure. Wouldnt it be better if this swap could be done at the dealer and end these complaints? If its not working out change it. I either love mine or hate mine its that type of tranny.
    There is none that im aware of google lied!
  • badford2013badford2013 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't seen this problem listed. My 2013 while driving and NOT stepping on the break, will disengage it will last for about 10 seconds. Ford has replaced a transmission censor and a clutch motor, now it's back at ford. doing the same thing, it's worse as each time it changed gear it made a clunk. I had it towed back to ford, it has been in the shop 15 days in March. I would like to use the lemon law. . and get my money back. . is anyone this problem?
    ANOTHER PROBLEM: while driving, all of a sudden the car dings, and tells me that the key is not in the car. . it will let me keep driving. . but it's unsetteling. . .
  • badford2013badford2013 Member Posts: 2
    It's to late for me. . don't do it. . their customer service is bad. . I am not sure any of the others are better. . but I do know about ford. . I speck from experience. . I am going to try to use the lemon law to get my money back from ford, and I will buy a Honda. . I have a 1997 honda passport, with over 200,000 miles. . good luck
    You can load up a Focus to around 30K and have alot of features like park assist,MFT,Nav and rearview canera so on. It's like a mini Lexus IS
    Regard less,of any problems some people have they still buy another one because the car handles like
    a sports car and alot like the electric steering and the S mode tranny.I like the gas millage and it's a fun ride and the sync cost alot less than Onstar. :shades:
  • bobanandabobananda Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2013
    I have a 2012 Focus sedan with dual clutch transmission. I'm wondering just how prevalent these problems are. I have had mine for 16 months and have 20,000 miles on it. I haven't yet had a single problem. The shudder thing went on for about 3000 miles and then stopped and has never come back---not even once. It shifts beautifully and is real fun to drive.
    Are we only hearing from people with problems? Are there people out there with many more miles and doing just fine?
    Also, i don't drive it extra hard nor do i baby it. Gas mileage is never under 40 mpg and up as high as 43mpg at times. Averaging between 41 and 42.
  • tomkc53tomkc53 Member Posts: 12
    Just had my 2012 Focus SEL sedan in for the 2nd time for shuddering and a grinding noise between 1st and 2nd gears. Was told again this is perfectly "normal" and it is operating as it should be. I currently have 12,000 miles on the car. Love everything else about it but I'm thinking of trading it in although I know I'll be losing money.
    Thanks,

I decided to keep my old car Mazda Protege5 which is still in top notch condition
    I'd look into Maxda3 in couple of years as they are refreshing it soon.
    What would you buy and what features would you get?
    My Ti (2013) is loaded with things I'll never use. (park assist) and 300 dollar for Sirius radio no way.I like the rear view camera, lumbar,the drive too close sensor monitors and I tried Mada and although it's a bullet proof car.The fun to drive factor wasn't there for me.
  • 101express101express Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2013 SE Sedan. After 200 miles, thats right, 200 miles I started hearing noises from the transmission. First it was a "clicking" type noise when you first start to move, and then a "grinding" type noise. It is not continuous but it is there. The transmission shifts smoothly from gear to gear, but it seems to be most noticeable when starting out up hill. It also feels that it is slipping a bit. Had it right back to the dealer and had a tech test drive. He called it a "transmission rattle" and I left the car. About an hour later the service rep called me to come and get the car as in his words, "Ford is aware of the problem but have not developed a fix. It is ok to drive, no problem and it will be fixed as soon as the Ford engineers develop a procedure" I spoke with my sales person and of course this was all new to him - Ha! I am not sure how to proceed, but I am going to contact our state Attorney General, Ford, and the dealership, and if necessary, will park my car in front of the dealership with a big "lemon sign". I really like the car, but feel like one of Bernie Madoff's clients. Shame on me for not doing better research before buying the car. I got a great deal, now I realize why. Long story, but if you haven't bought yet, don't.
    Ive had mine for over 14 months. yes it makes noise. But think about it its not a automatic. Its not as bad as most people exagerate it. You have a warranty. so why even worry .If it fails ford will fix it. But im not counting this gearbox out yet. the future is now!. The dart and veloster make the ford sound very quite. Ford was the first production dct in north america besides the VW. I doubt the conventional auto will be around too much longer. There are times I think somethings not right but there are times I dig it.
    The main question is do you understand how it works? And did you test drive it? Its different but after 14 months im satisfied.
    If it is not detracting from the value of the car the lemon law is yoosless!
    Chevy still with the low hp and conventional tranny.......Ford got smart. And this little ford out performs most other car in its class. Ofcourse I contradict myself and have for 14 months but realistically .Its not all bad now is it? really?
    I would have to say no!
    Thanks All,

I decided to put off my new car purchase for sometime.
    I decided to use my bicycle more and my old car less.

New car has to wait for a good reason..
    edited April 2013
    Funny,my VW is a DSG that's why the milage is lower,but the reliability is better than a DCT. :shades: and what's the # 1 HB compact car @NY auto show?
    Like I said, I have a loaded Focus Ti and I've had it four months and I have 1001 miles on it Ford will get it together soon maybe. I can't worry over things I can't control.
    Ya'll ought to have Ford on your computer and check your car for updates and and check your maintenance records.
    Some mention that the DCT learns your driving habits and then adapts and inprovises.I don't think so. You have a warranty for 3 to 6 yrs. use it.In the mean time turn the radio up and go cruisin'.I'm off this subject I didn't do my homework so it's my fault not Fords. :)
  • bobanandabobananda Member Posts: 5
    I can only say thay my 2012 with DCT has 21000 miles and has been flawless in every way after giving up the shudder at 3000 miles.

Its paint is the red candy metallic and it looks great. I found out the hard way that it really is a custom paint and does not lend itself well to fixing a small area and could easily mean painting a much larger area like a whole panel. This can get expensive. I wish Ford had told me that. For that reason i would not purchase this or any other color that was this difficult to fix.
  • fedup33fedup33 Member Posts: 1
    I just can not under stand why my ford dealer will not admit that my 2012 Focus can not be fixed The transmission after 6 tries and 14,000 miles still shakes, jumps and shutters after I leave the dealer. I told the dealer I've owned Fords my whole life, can't he just admit the car can not be fixed. Lemon Law takes a long time resolving this. It all started after 5,000 oil change, they said it had a recall on the transmission I said O K mistake number two, mistake number one was buying a FORD, they lost a good customer at age of 70, good bye Ford. And the crazy part FORD doesn't care.
    Thats the proof I was looking for. With regards to the dct . I really think its a exaggeration. 14 months here. I dont hardly pay attention to it.{unless I come read some things on the web and get worried for nothing}. I just drive it.
    If and when it brakes Ford will fix it.. You can not make a dual clutch feel like a conventional auto. And why would you? I like the feel. I drove my second car with a gm traditional and there is a big difference.I prefer the dual clutch myself.

Paint hee hee try sonic blue SN. how to touch that up????? :confuse:
    edited April 2013
    Fed up, Whats going on. do you know that you have to use the accelerator differently with a dual clutch. Think back to when you drove a stick. If used correctly with the right throttle opening that dont happen. Not being disrespectfull sir.
    But I had to figure it out too. I played heck for a while but its second nature now. And if I mess around with the go pedal I can confuse it.But I dont do that. You got to feel that clutch.! Not sure if its anything other than the style of engagment. {clutches}.
    It hasnt been out long enough to judge reliability..........Time will tell though.
  • unfocused13unfocused13 Member Posts: 4
    I am the unfortunate owner of a 2012 Ford Focus SE, with the misbegotten 6-speed "automated manual" transmission. I've had the car about 1.5 years, and have amassed just over 18,000 miles on this vehicle. The transmission started lurching and jerking on acceleration from stops, a few days after I took delivery. I returned to the dealership, to be told that there was a software upgrade for my car. While the technician was performing the upgrade, they informed me that the transmission will "feel" strange since it is, in effect, a manual transmission being shifted by the computer. Pardon me, but I KNOW how a manual transmission feels & shifts. Manual transmissions are not supposed to feel like it's full of gravel and has a slipping clutch. I got my Focus back & after a day or two, the symptoms returned. I called the dealership & was told that Ford says the operation is "normal." Normal for a mis-engineered POS, maybe. On 4/14, as I was driving home, the transmission started jerking & grinding like it was tearing itself apart. It would shift into neutral & the engine would rev to about 4500 rpm, at which time the transmission would bang loudly & re-engage the gears. I was concerned that the car would not make it back home (about 4 miles). On 4/15, the car and I were back at the dealership, where I was informed that the clutches had failed, along with the shift forks, solenoids, etc. and etc. Yesterday, eight days after I left my car at the dealership, they informed me that the clutch parts were on back-order from Ford and would not arrive until 5/7. Almost a month to get my car fixed. Totally unacceptable. Even after this repair, I'm afraid that I will NOT trust this vehicle to go on any type of extended trip, less the transmission repeat this scenario.

If you are reading this & considering the purchase of a Focus, do NOT get the "automated manual" -- it is a complete and utter disaster!!

I am hoping that Ford is slapped with a class-action lawsuit, forcing them to buy back ALL of these miserable excuses for vehicles. At the very least, they should be forced to install conventional automatic transmissions into these cars.

I would have thought Ford had learned its' lesson, after the debacle with the 6.0L diesel engine. Apparently, they have not!!
  • unfocused13unfocused13 Member Posts: 4
    NO!!! At least, don't get the "automated manual." I am the unfortunate owner of a 2012 Focus SE with that transmission. It is a TOTAL disaster!!!
  • libreson1234libreson1234 Member Posts: 1
    I have exaclty the same problem, and I try to change it for a Ford Fusion trough my dealer, do you think it's a good idea?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews