Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• unfocused13unfocused13 Member Posts: 4
    Only if you can be certain that the Fusion does NOT have the same type transmission as the Focus does. I'm not positive, but I believe the Fusion has a more traditional automatic. Check with a Ford service department, to be sure. Do NOT rely on what the salesperson tells you.
  • bernie59bernie59 Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems with my 2012 Ford Focus SE. It shakes and shudders upon stop and go. I am worried that this shaking is going to cause other problems down the road. I have had my car in twice for software upgrades that did absolutely nothing to help this problem. I was told that the computer senses the way I drive and this is why it does this!!!!! It is apparently normal and in no way harmful to the car. I find this hard to believe. I would never have bought this car if I knew this was part of the package. I lodged a complaint with Ford headquarters and they directed me to go back to the dealer. I sure hope this problem will be fixed. I will never buy a Ford again! I should have stuck with GM.
  • butlersridebutlersride Member Posts: 4
    My Focus' transmission is very jerky at parking lot or slow city speeds. Then the other day it dropped out of "drive" into neutral (although the stick was in "D") and the engine started racing; then it dropped back into drive and thrust forward; then again, back into neutral, engine races and then it drops back into gear; all through a busy city intersection.

Yesterday the backup sensor was on although I was driving forward. I had to pull over and shut the car off and start again to get it off.

I took it in to Lief Johnson Ford (Austin, TX) this morning. Clearly, I'm not the only one with these issues. I have a rental for the weekend. I guess we'll see what happens next.

P.S. Ford "Sync" is the worst!!!!
  • jlutzeljlutzel Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem(s) with my 2012 Ford Focus SEL. It started in July 2012 at 300 miles and continued until FMC bought it back in December 2012! The story of it senses how you drive is implausible. What if my wife drives it? My son? They tried "reprogramming." (Twice) They rebuilt the transmission (twice). The installed a new transmission (only once). All to no avail.
    I filed a complaint with the BBB. FMC was very responsive and made me whole.
    Believe it or not, I miss my Focus SEL. It had everything in it. All but a good transmission. I hope they get it resolved so I can buy another one.
  • gbitzapgbitzap Member Posts: 1
    I just took a video of my 2012 Focus SE with 6 speed manu-matic being stuck in one gear and not accelerating. I put the pedel to the floor and it held at 2500 rpm and would not shift...it felt like I was driving a golf cart with a regulator.

I then put the shifter in S mode, which made no difference AND the S on the dash was not backlite (showing which gear you are in). Going back and forth between D and S made no difference, or going to Park and back to D or S. Once I shut off the car and restarted it, the problem went away.....for now.

If/when this happens again and does not fix itself, I would need to get towed. Luckily I was just pulling out of a parking lot and was able to go back in to it, as I was initially in traffic, stuck going about 10-15 mph....it was not a great feeling and hard to understand what was going on at first.

Also, my Change Engine Oil message comes up every time I start the car, and I changed the oil about a month ago.....do I need to push a sequence of buttons to let my car know the engine oil was changed? This happened after I brought it in for the wiper motor recall, so they probably "updated" the software...possibly causing the transmission glitch at the same time...

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow.
  • trevor_ctrevor_c Member Posts: 1
    New to edmunds, but I found it by looking up the same exact problem as everyone else. This forum came up as one of the top results on Google.

I have been having the grinding issues between 1st and 2nd gear since about miles 17,000. I brought it in around mile 18,000 and they said it was just normal transmission sounds and gave me some piece of paper that said it just needs time to break in and stuff about it being normal sounds. But I was at 18,000 miles. I would think everything has already been broken in by now. And it sure didn't sound normal to me...

Now I'm at 23,000 miles and I just took my car in again on Monday because the grinding was getting worse. I told them about the Throwout Bearings and burnt up clutch issues that everyone on this forum was talking about. I haven't gotten any details on what was wrong exactly, but they did say they have to replace the clutch assembly. And unfortunately they are on backorder right now so I'm without my Focus for a few weeks...

And on a side note, I'm also on my 3rd Navigation/touch screen. Had issues with it completely turning off and not coming back on among many other issues. Now on my 3rd unit and the GPS does not work, it runs super slow with it completely freezing half the time, and bluetooth connection issues with my phone so I can't even use the features more than half the time.

I was attracted to the technology and looks of this car. But I'm ready to trade it in after many visits to Ford.

Also, has anyone actually found a long term fix for this problem yet? I have yet to come across a single Focus owner with these problems to find a long term fix.
  • starluck3000starluck3000 Member Posts: 14
    Well I feel your pain! I've had my 2012 focus se for about a year now and only have about 7700 miles in it. ... we too were told that it will "learn" the way you drive and get better. Well that was the craziest thing I ever heard. So. . Meanwhile.. my cute little car shakes shutters and jumps upon alteration. .. and its random. . Doesn't always happen. .as my husband says..it's like driving down a wash board road...eventually things are going to start falling off the car. .. that will probably be the fault of the owner I'm sure! We are actually taking it in in Monday. . Seems like my struts are loose or more likely have been shaken so violently that they have come apart. ..so... I'm also bringing up the shudder issue. .just to hear what they say. . And isn't it ironic that no ones car did that during the test drive? ??

Dazed and confused... and all shook up!
  • butlersridebutlersride Member Posts: 4
    Hello, Ford, are you listening? Class action suit coming your way!! I'm sure you're ready.
  • maryjane5maryjane5 Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 Ford Focus has been in the shop for 25 days now. Needs a clutch, but guess what they are on back order. Ford has a big issue on their hands. I have been given a date sometime at the end of July for a clutch to arrive to fix my car, but then I ask will the car even be fixed or will this happen all over again. I have five more days to wait and I am calling the lawyer to proceed with the lemon law. This is ridiculous.
    That does seem a bit extreme! I can't believe it is taking that long to get a part that to me seems like a common one. ... well I'm going in today. .. curious as to what I'll be told. .... I'm expecting the usual. ."it's normal"....good luck!

Still dazed & confused! & all shook up!
  • gilroydogbertgilroydogbert Member Posts: 1
    2012 Ford Focus Titanium, 33K mikes and the dealer is rebuilding the clutches after the transmission failed to shift.. The system said the transmission needed service immediately...
    This is 4 days after the last transmission reprogramming. Can't wait to see what happens next.
  • skitzoedskitzoed Member Posts: 2
    Sam problem as some of you have mentioned... No shuddering or bucking, but twice now, when accelerating around 65 / 70 MPH, either between 4 to 5th gear, or 5 to 6th gear, my car had lost all acceleration, like it was looking for a gear.... Engine would rev, but it was as if the clutch wasn't grabbing. First time they did the infamous TSB (re-flash software), and this time we'll see... I'll keep you posted. Definitely contact Ford Customer Service, as they can elevate the investigation and record all failures.
    I understand that it's hard to troubleshoot a very intermittent problem, but by now with the amount of failures I've read about, there should be a known remedy... Time to read into the "Lemon Law".....
  • skitzoedskitzoed Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to add that going to neutral and back into D did not correct it.... Had to pull over and shut off / restart the car....1st time was around 9,000 miles, and this time was at 16,000. At 4500 rpms, the car would accelerate ever so slightly, like the clutch was barely grabbing... Seems like a failed solenoid to me, let's see what they find or don't find..... Ugghhh.
  • ptbishptbish Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    Have had my 2013 Focus SE HB 6 spd auto. trans. for less than a week; already have been back to dealer for transmission issue...clattering noise from first to second gear (especially going up hill), odd shuddering, weard shifting (yes i am aware of the type of tran. this is, but something seems wrong!) Service mngr. gave me what sounds like a familier refrain on this forum: "needs to break in for 6k miles or so, will learn your driving style, is all perfectly normal" Why am I not convinced. So tell me, how do you get Ford (dealer) to fix a problem that they deny even exists? What good is the warranty if they won't acknowlege that something is wrong? Same thing with the lemon law. Do I just drive it, accept its faults (a brand ****ing new car!) and wait for it to completely tear up? Where do we go from here? Oh, and like almost everyone else, I love the car otherwise.
    Sorry to hear you've joined the club! My 2012 focus se less than 8k miles and have had for about a year now is in the shop for that very thing. . Shudder shake and jump. . Almost sounds like a song. Well it's determined that it's a clutch or clutch related and no denying the noise.. it was heard. . Like another person posted.. my parts to are in back order. .. until the end of June. .I found that quite comical! After reading everything. . Apparently my Ford dealer said that there are over 3800 parts in backorder for this very thing. .. you'd think that they would realize that there's a problem. ..hmmmm.. go figure!

:confuse:
  • maniac4maniac4 Member Posts: 41
    Im trying to wrap my head around this tranny. I wished I had extra one to fiddle with. But im not touching mine. Now suppose this. Do you think the Ford escape tranny would fit the focus? Its a 2.5l engine but the block looks identical.Even the valve covers are the same. Not sure about the RH axle carrier bearings but the shafts can be cut or lengthened. If it can fit . Ford should go that route. What do you do when you have a problem? you get rid off the problem right?. There has to be a swap that can be done. I do know the escapes are a cvt type transmission.You could use a external fluid cooler and not even need to change the cooling system. Also curios if the Mazda skyactive tranny would work.Can anyone suggest a swap kit. Ford should do this me thinks. Sometimes you got to walk away no? Ford should do this.I honestly think this transmission is not going to be around too long. It might be more cost effective for ford to swap over than to piddle around with something thats somewhat undesirable.They know there is a problem, I think they are trying to figure out what to do.Swap it is the better of two evils. any opinions.
    I appreciate the input. At least now I'll have some info. next time I go to the dealer to discuss "the problem". Can you give any more detail about the parts that are needed fix.... ? I'd like to be as educated as possible before I talk to the service mngr. again. thanks
    Sure when we pick it up for strut work which the car was still sitting in the back. .I saw it. .I will ask the dealer specifically what the parts are called... probably be on invoice showing backordered... hopefully next week. . Fingers crossed.. not even sure if those parts are in. .. so i got a rental. .2012 Ford fusion. .. same tranny. .. runs beautiful! Should I'd got a fusion. . Would a should a could a... but didn't! Live and learn! Let you know when i get the part name. . I'll check with the hubby too...

:confuse:
  • sharilee1963sharilee1963 Member Posts: 2
    Are you still having problems? Mine has 3000miles and i got the same story from the service manager. "needs to break in" wth!!
    cant believe i am driving a brand new (not cheap) car and it sounds like a bucket of bolts!
  • sharilee1963sharilee1963 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to everyone on here posting about their Ford Focus and the issues!! I have felt so alone until today!! I have a 2013 Focus Titanium with the powershift/select shift and have transmission issues, displays goes blank while in drive, back up camera/detector let me back into something, the black trim is turning all white, the skirt around the bottom is falling off, i roll backwards (and forwards) while in drive on the smallest of hills, lots of wind noise on the highway--so loud you cant talk to anyone live or on the phone and when i hit a bump i feel like the car is going to fall apart. The transmissions issues range from the shifting noise that they say is normal from 2nd-4th gear, the jerking while taking off or just doing anything. I was so excited to buy this car---my very first ever on my very own and i am so upset i dont know what to do. Neither the service or sales manager while acknowledge me or that i have a problem with the car. So seriously considering trading it in!! Sad, just Sad. :cry:
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    You'll lose a lot of money on a trade.
    I agree with your post though I tried to warn everyone on here
    but, to no avail. I have a Focus Ti and I don't drive it hardly at all. I have 1600 miles on it.(in 4 months) I'm dumping it and going back to a German or Japanese car.
    Consumer reports ,which I should of read stated the Focus had a black circle for reliability.
    How it got rated # 1 compact car is crazy. The car is noisy,rough riding and the transmission is suspect.
    You can't expect Edmunds to help you as Ford advertises on here.I've been on Edmunds for 20 years.I use to love the Integra days and Nippon Only,Himmler,Syder,Luv My Sepher all those guys were knowledgeable.
    You never hear about the class action suit brewing over the Focus DCT transmission on here.
    Sorry you had to join the club,but hang on to it for at least 2 yrs.You have a 6 year warranty on the tranny.So keep bringing it back and put My Garage and Ford motor in your favorites .You will be able to print out all your service calls.I have had 4 electrical visit as the sync and nav went kaput and car locked me out twice. Unreal for 23k and trying to be patriotic.
    Be well and prosper. Puffin
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    "You can't expect Edmunds to help you as Ford advertises on here."

Simply not true. :) We try to help everyone. That's what we do.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    The amount of misinformation on here is comical:

“I do know the escapes are a cvt type transmission.” – maniac4

No it isn’t. It’s a conventional torque converter automatic.

“.. so i got a rental. .2012 Ford fusion. .. same tranny. ..” - starluck3000

No it’s not. Like the Fusion, it’s a conventional torque converter automatic.

I understand the pain a lot of you feel, my Focus had the shudder a couple of times. But the dealer replaced the clutch pack about 5,000 miles ago and the tranny has been pretty much perfect since then. Sure it behaves a little funky now and again, that’s the way the DCT is. And it’s a heck of a lot better than a CVT that so many manufacturers are going to these days.

There’s a new Motor Trend compact car comparo that puts the brand new Sentra dead last. Why? In large part due to its CVT that sounds and behaves horridly. I think this is just becoming the nature of compact, highly fuel efficient cars.
    Ford clearly calls the fusion transmission a E-cvt automatic. What do you call it?
    Fusion my bad.....yes funny stuff. LOL. Just fix it already!.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I can't even imagine where this notion came from. If we refused to help anyone who has an issue with a vehicle manufactured by one of our advertisers, we'd have zero posts. Hosts also regularly encourage members to report serious issues to the NHTSA, since that's the best way to gather complaints in one place, and they're the only ones who can investigate and force a recall if needed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ford clearly calls the fusion transmission a E-cvt automatic. What do you call it?

That's for the hybrid only. All other Fusions have a conventional TQ automatic. Doubt you got a hybrid as a loaner / rental, so you were probably driving a conventional auto.

I agree, I'd prefer a conventional auto in the Focus too. But there does seem to be something to the claim of increased efficiency of the DCT. The Focus has pretty much the fastest acceleration in the class but is still competitive on fuel economy.
    I'm glad to here Ford was able to fix your problem. At the risk of beating a dead horse to death (ha, ha), the problem I , and many others, are having is more than just a little shudder and quirky behavior; the thing sounds like it's got loose metal rolling around when shifting from 1-2, and 3-4. At the same time it tends to hesitate badly. This is a flawed design and needs to be recalled before someone gets killed.
    I thought things had settled down the last few days, but I think it was only because I was doing mostly highway driving. I just got back from tooling around town in my beautiful new car, and the "clatter" monster reared its ugly head again. I have the day off tomorrow, so I thing I am going back to the dealer to get the service manager to ride with me.. not expecting any results, just want to start getting the thing documented. I am at 750 miles, btw.
    I just know the dealer will say something like
    A you just arent used to it
    B Its fine its all in your head
    C I dunno whats wrong
    D You test drove it and it was good right? you prolly broke it.
    E Wheres my lunch you just wait right here while I hide{dern fool knows im stuck there.}
    F You got a oil leak at the seal but its just dandy.No Worry
    G get lost, Ive never met you
    YOU GET TO PICK THE EXCUSE! thats what I call customer service. :(
    I heard them all. Im not violent but want to pinch his head off. Try to keep cool. I cant though.

Im not pointing fingers but its sad to see people working real hard for a car like this. Its just wrong. I need a lawyer. Its as if they literally put their hands in your pocket and took your money. Why is it always the working folks getting hosed. But dont fret none they will set you right up with a cup of cofee and a million excuses. Everyone of these problems are fixable tsb,s prove it. But how do you get the dealer to fix it?
    Prolly cam, But that torque convertor sounds great. The main reason we are even having this conversation is simple. the slipping clutches 11-12-13 tsb.
    not performed and the dealer is useless. I could fix it for them if I had too. 6.5 hours?. They dont want to do the job 6.5 hours to R&R a transmission aint enough time for a flat rate mechanic........no money in it. Isnt what this all boils down to? I agree the car is faster and rides nicer than others but come on man. fix it!
  • dcpeazydcpeazy Member Posts: 1
    So ford just contacted me regarding my focus. They are going to buy it back. Issues started at 5k, took it in at 5k, 19k, 23k, 26k, 31k x3, all for the transmission issues. They are giving me 28k credit for my car, the trade-in i had done, tax license, and are charging me 1400 for usage to 5k miles(the start of the issues). I assume I have to use the credit to pay off whatever is still owed on my car and I then put the rest toward the principal amount of the new car i get ? Or can I walk away from the car and dealership, and just take my money from ford minus whatever is owed? any help is appreciated
    Have you tried other dealers? The dealer I go to is one of the largest in the state, probably has 30 service bays, and every time I go in there to complain they replace something. They've never given me the runaround yet. I have a feeling they have more pull with Ford and have more service techs that are an expert in each field and therefore can do these trickier jobs. If your dealer is a small mom and pop, I'd suggest finding a larger one in your region.
    Naaa. I called ford and they are very involved. Its the dealer for sure. Ford aint happy with them
    Wow, you done good , At least its good ford done that for you. Id get a different ford though. In your case they stood behind thier product. I get a new clutch pack and seals tommorro. hope thats the end for me. but you done the impossible...kudos
  • julsibejulsibe Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I have a 2013 Ford Focus. I have 4600 miles on it. The other day I started noticing a klunking noise, and I could feel a vibration in it. I called my dealership and they told me to bring it in. Of course when the service guy drove it, it didnt make any noice....I got in it with him and we went for a little drive and sure enough the klunking started. Heres what I was told.....apparently the focus has a issue and will "shudder". They can fix this fairly easy. HOWEVER.....mine issue is in the transmission, and they said something about when it goes to 3rd gear. Thankfully I didnt get the run around from my dealership. They got me a loaner told me that it would be about a week and said they will call when they get in there and find the problem. I am not happy about this. I dont think I should have to drive around a brand new car that has had the transmission torn down. I have had better luck buying used cars!
    edited May 2013
    Well thats it the focus it is gone for good ,,I traded it in for a escape. little money lost but a loss is a loss. the dealer owner was there and help greatly. thank goodness I wont have any more dct to worry about. I wont be posting here no more . but for sure in the escape pages. Do yourself a favor a dump it fast. its value is dropping like a rock. yes I lost a testicle but im free at last.

good luck guys and girls but you got to know when to throw in the towel.I did and am very pleased.

the end of over a year of aggravation god bless
    does the Escape have a front wheel version or a 2.0 and what tranny does it offer that makes you feel so good?
    Surely the millage will differ.
    Good luck,Puffin
    Yes fwd...motor 2.5 liter . transmission 6 speed torque convertor..It does have a select shift option . but I prolly wont be using that part of it ....mileage is ok. but it does eat more gas. keep in mind its got 49 miles on it. so the motor is very tight.Cant really say much else . Its built right I can say that . From a perspective of the little miles and what Im seeing.. A word on the focus..once I saw how small that tranny was especially the clutch...I traded while the new clutch was being installed. why heck! that clutch is tiny.
  • robo309robo309 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I just found this website and now I know I'm not alone. My 2012 Focus Sel has been at the dealer 3 times because I knew something was not right with the transmission. Each time they tell me owe yeah we've adjusted it and it is better, but even after they pulled the transmission it seems better for a few weeks, then back to jumpy and rattling. I love my car, it's my first new car I've ever had. Leave it to me to pick a lemon by the way, I'm going to take a trip and going to go up a large grad. Can anyone explain to me how to get the car more power for going up grade? I've read my manual 10 times, but I don't have overdrive cancel, so I assume I need to put it in "S" mode, but then what? Help please.
    I wouldn't play with the S mode especially down shifting.
    Do you have a 2.0 or a 1.6?
    I have Ti, Ford made a mistake getting rid of then SEL Focus IMAO,
    Save your money up and trade or sell it before your tranny goes and keep all records. Puffin
    edited May 2013
    Yup puf is right on. Save all documents and dump that car as soon as you can. We will prevail in a court of law if we stand together,. Ford knows this . they simply cant get away with this anymore. thank god for the internet. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Robo, if your tranny is reluctant to downshift when going up a grade, shift into S mode and use the rocker switch on the shift lever to manually downshift. I do this all the time, but rather I do it to upshift at 35 mph to save fuel since the it won't automatically upshift until 40 mph.
    Kirstie, no one is asking for help from Shifty,or you.
    All we want is that, if you know that a problem exist as in the Focus tell us.
    We don't get on here just for T.C.O: or T.M.V. I thought we were all members that try to help one another.
    You can't say the Focus DCT isn't suspect.
    Maybe, I don't know what the host on Edsmund do.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, there's no way for our editors to know about every problem on every vehicle, especially those that show up after the first few months of ownership. Our editors provide some initial reviews, and in those reviews they point out what they see as flaws.

We try to provide info by way of consumer reviews - these are reviews of the vehicle provided by people who OWN the vehicle. That's the same way many other sites gather data on issues and reliability - by polling consumers who own the vehicle. Our editors generally have a vehicle sample of one, meaning they would have driven one Focus of any particular model year. Consumer reviews offer a sample of multiple vehicles, and that's better since not all vehicles will have an issue, even if that issue is prevalent on that model.

The point is that we don't "hide" info from consumers because the manufacturer has purchased advertising here. I guess I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, or expecting...?

(Host, by the way, are just here to help guide conversation and help people find their way around... and to ensure that no one's trolling, spamming, etc.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• markag1markag1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2013 and I have the shudder and the sound of loose metal or plastic. My dealer reports this is a 2013 problem and is covered, of course, by warranty. if you have been charges ANYTHING, call ford hotline and ask to have your complaint reviewed by a regional service troubleshooter. You can get your money back. By the way, I have had it in for the trans 2 times, they replaced gears, still a problem. The shudder is no better also.
    I'm going to pick my 2013 Focus up from the service dept. this afternoon. It's in for exactly the same complaint... mine happens after the tran. is hot, is that the case for others? I've got 1k miles on the car. I have started a case with Ford customer service, for what it's worth. I love the rest of my car; hate the tranny. Same tune you've all heard before. I'll keep you updated on my progress or lack there of.
    I haven't been driving my Ti, much as to keep the millage low in order to sell it next year.
    I have 1800 miles in 6 months and it's a 2013 Focus Ti sedan loaded.
    Well, I took it on a fly fishing trip. I traveled through gorges, notches, and through the mountains and at times wished it was a 6 spd.
    Ok, going up the mountains, or hills that had slow vehicle lanes were murder as the tranny wouldn't stay forever in a low torque gear and the tires seemed out of balance. I want to know if this is a shudder.
    When I hit the S curves in the notches I punched it and I went from 50 to 83 mph like it had an after burner on it. The engine was running like a V Tec. It just wanted to go. (fun ride) I stopped at Screw Auger Falls to have lunch and took off up the gorge and the car drove like riding a dead horse as the tranny wasn't shifting fluidly at all . It took to long to get up to speed
    and didn't shift smoothly the timing in the gears is off.
    The car is definitely for a flatlander. Happy Motoring, Puffin
    Flatlander.LOL Havent heard that one in a long time......And you are correct , Its not worth a hoot on hills. I reckon this car is very bad on I-40 at the tennesse state line?.Them hills are as steep as a mules face.LOL
    edited May 2013
    A quick recap: 2013 Focus SE, 6 spd auto, 1100 mls.,shuddering, slipping and making grinding,or rattling noises during up-shifts at low speeds when trans. is well warmed up (30 min.). Took it in to Mall of Ga. Ford last week. Their trans. tech. did test drive with me and said "that's not right". I didn't get it to make the noise,( though it did it immediately upon leaving the dealership, of course) but she did witness the shuddering, slipping, hesitating...however you want to describe it. Took it back the next day and left it for 2 days. They did a lot of testing, both stationary and moving, said it was slipping from 2nd to 3 rd gr. , reprogrammed the shift points, for which there is supposedly a TSB. My work order said that they could not completely remove the slippage but it was within Ford specs, and that the grinding noise was fixed. So.... I've now had it back a week and have not heard the noise yet,(it only occurred when the trans. was very hot, however, so the jury is still out) but it is still shuddering during low gear shifts. My service rep said to give it two weeks to re-learn my driving habits, so I'll do that, and then take it back again. Why do I think I already know where this is heading. Hmmm... :confuse: