Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• cnewmancnewman Member Posts: 1
    Comes from both front wheel areas whenever i turn my steering wheel left or right, i reckon its my bearings, but ive never heard it like this before, sounds like 2 metal poles being clanged together, am i right, and its just the bearings? Im in UK just in case some of my expressions are not the norm.

Thanks
  • vacanadianvacanadian Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Ford Focus SE (Automatic) with about 56,000 miles. The car loses power like it is suddenly not in any gear, then all of a sudden jots into gear. It was taken to a local Ford dealership and they put it on the scope and said it needed the transmission fluid changed. The check engine light also was on. Next time it was driven within the hour same thing happened. Have called the dealership to say hey now paid to get this fixed, they agreed to renegotiate the fee paid and take it for a test drive. A friend who knows a mechanic at a Ford dealership says it sounds like it is the valve body which is like 1,000 just for the parts. I am hesitant with the last one thinking it was one thing and it wasn't. Anyone have this type of problem, and gotten it fixed? If so what was the problem and how much to fix?
  • vacanadianvacanadian Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering what the problem ended up being, and if it was expensive to fix. I am having the same problem with my 2003 focus.
  • mdocmdoc Member Posts: 1
    hi my ford focus automatic 1.6 zetec 2002 has the same problem but in reverse gear and it delays like 10 secs as if the car is dead and the engine light comes up(yellow) and then moves on with jerk.
    any success with your repair work ? how much did it cost? many thanks for ur reply
  • focusowner2focusowner2 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like the motor mounts I had to have replaced around 145000. It also caused substantial steering wheel vibration (1" or so).
  • crangerbobcrangerbob Member Posts: 1
    Got the same run-around. Was told to change the transmission fluid. Doesn't solve anything. Bottom line= 4th gear(Drive) was toast. The car would NOT shift into drive. 35mph is the fastest it would go THEN it was though it was running in neutral! The 4th gear was shot. Bad news is the parts cost $1000+. Total repair approx $2200. Check other Transmission problem blogs on the net. Many many focus auto transmissions '02-'07 having the same problem. If your car is still in waranty insist the trans be repaired if it "jumps" into gear at any speed, low or high. MY CAR? It's a 2003 Focus with 55000 miles. Waranty expired 12-16-07. Transmission expired 02-05-08. My cost to have repaired? $2222.03.
  • iamechiamech Member Posts: 2
    Model: 2002 SE 2.0 SPI with 4F27E Transmission
    OBD Code: P0751 => Shift solenoid (SS) A - performance or stuck off
    Symptom: No 3rd or 4th gear
    Having studied the service manual (which is on a CD) for days and trying to verify what is causing my problem, I think I have narrowed it down. Since I am an individual and don't have a complete Ford shop at my disposal, I attempted to check the obvious thing first - connections, loose grounds, broken wires, continuity and amperage checks of all solenoids, and on and on.... Since all solenoids and connections passed electrically, I proceeded to check each solenoid with air pressure while energizing them and found that all solenoids tested good. Now, what I did not say was that the main control valve body had several bolts loose (they could be turned by hand). I state this now, since when I first discovered this after removing the drain pan, I removed the valve body, checked it for damage and reinstalled it. It was late in the day and no parts stores were open, and I just tried it out to see if that cured the problem. Well, it didn't. I pulled the valve body again and inspected the gaskets a little closer and discovered they should be replaced. (The manual tells you to replace them anyway) My question - Has anyone found any valve body bolts loose. I don't know if this was done at the factory or by a previous mechanic, most likely the latter. I feel that my shift problem has occurred due to the valve body bolts backing out, thus allowing the fluid pressure to leak out. This was a possible cause listed in the service manual. I am having to order the parts and hope this is going to solve the problem. Will post when I figure this out...
  • robo30988robo30988 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Focus (automatic transmission) that has 75,000 miles on it. When i first start driving the car from a cold start, it shifts fine thru the gears. once the car warms up, it stops shifting into 4th gear and will not shift up if i have to accelerate quickly (it revs for a sec like it's going to shift up, and goes strait back into 3rd). after a while of that, it starts shifting really rough, jerking between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. also, i noticed that, once the car is warmed up and 4th gear disappears, if i try to turn off overdrive and shift down manually it doesn't do anything.
    anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
  • iamechiamech Member Posts: 2
    I'm post #60 and was just reviewing the site as I was reading the service manual. Might be the transimssion oil temperature sensor. If the sensor has failed in some odd way, my guess is that this could happen. This sensor is located in the tranny oil pan, under the transmission filter. The sensor can be checked by use of an ohm meter. See below...

This is out of the manual:
    Transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor
    The TFT sensor is located on the internal wiring harness to the solenoid valves in the fluid pan.
    It is a resistor and measures the transmission fluid temperature.
    The transmission fluid temperature is used by the PCM for the following functions:
    Applying the torque converter clutch is not permitted until the transmission fluid reaches a certain temperature, engagement of 4th gear is prevented in extreme sub-zero temperatures until the normal operating temperature is reached,
    if the transmission fluid temperature is excessive, a pre-set fixed shift curve is selected and the torque converter lock-up clutch is closed in "2", "3" and "4"; of the transmission warning indicator is activated.

Resistance between transaxle vehicle harness connector pin 5 (component side, transaxle internal harness), and transaxle vehicle harness connector pin 4 (component side, transaxle internal harness).
    Resistance should be approximately in the following ranges:
    -20 ° C (-4 ° F) - 236Kohms - 317Kohms
    0 ° C (32 ° F) - 83.2Kohms - 107Kohms
    20 ° C (68 ° F) - 33.5Kohms - 41.2Kohms
    40 ° C (104 ° F) - 14.6Kohms - 17.6Kohms
    60 ° C (140 ° F) - 7.08Kohms - 8.01Kohms
    80 ° C (176 ° F) - 3.61Kohms - 4.06Kohms
    100 ° C (212 ° F) - 1.96Kohms - 2.20Kohms
    120 ° C (248 ° F) - 1.13Kohms - 1.25Kohms
    130 ° C (266 ° F) - 0.87Kohms - 0.96Kohms

Pin numbers as looking at the connector on top of tranny with lock tab on top:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9

Good luck, let us know what happens,
    iamech
  • lightning3lightning3 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH FORD DEALERSHIPS & FORD
    CORPORATION. THE DEALER MECHANICS & SERVICE WRITERS THAT
    I HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH PLAY ALL KINDS OF GAMES, REFUSE
    TO ACKNOWLEDGE VERY WELL KNOWN PROBLEMS, CAUSE ME TO
    CHECK & QUESTION WHETHER THEY DID ROUTINE SERVICES THAT
    I PAID FOR, AND JUST FLAT OUT LIE TO ME. IT IS REAL OBVIOUS TO
    ME THAT FORD MOTOR COMPANY DOES NOT CARE WHETHER OR
    NOT I GET RIPPED OFF OR MISTREATED BY THEIR DEALERSHIPS.
    THEY REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE VERY WELL KNOWN PROBLEMS.
    IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERE IS A HUGE QUALITY ISSUE WITH FORD
    PARTS & THAT THEY KEEP SELLING THE SAME BAD PARTS RATHER
    THEN TRULY REDESIGNING THEM & SOLVING THE PROBLEM.
  • hnbr44hnbr44 Member Posts: 1
    the code that is coming up for my ford focus is P0750 and i see that it means Circuit malfunction, but what does that mean? is it a part or what? thx
  • fish92fish92 Member Posts: 3
    I seem to be having some of the same issues as many of you with the automatic transmission on my 2001 Focus. It hesitates before going into drive and sometimes does not downshift right away. It almost acts like it isn't sure what gear it wants. I do a lot of interstate driving and once it is in overdrive everything is fine. Reverse also works fine. I've read through the posts here and see lots of suggestions but has anyone figured out the exact problem? It has 57,000 miles on it, I bought it with 47,000 miles, and I have no idea if the fluid was changed at 30,000 miles.
  • jerrynashevilljerrynashevill Member Posts: 1
    Ford really dropped the ball on this car! Overall, it's a piece of junk with many problems: transmission (auto), engine, lights, tires, missing parts from assembly, etc., etc., etc. These problems are one thing and along with a certified Ford Dealership not honoring Ford's warranty just put the icing on the cake. Our 2005 Focus is GONE! We never plan to buy another Ford product again! :lemon:
  • carlt1carlt1 Member Posts: 6
    At 664 miles I got a check engine light. Dealer said it was a "transmission range sensor out of range" (Code P1702-00-68) and performed " PCM recalibration with new level software". Since then my gas mileage has dropped about 10%. My computer had been quite consistent. I reset it with each trip. Outings with consistent 32-34mpg are now 27-29mpg. Dealer tells me it takes 10K miles to get reliable computer estimates of fuel economy. My readings were quite consistent...and still are, just 10% lower, since the software adjustment. Dealer further states the adjustment could have nothing to do with gas mileage...is this just an unfortunate coincidence?
    That Corolla I passed over to buy American is looking better and better,
    Disgusted
  • rmcomiermcomie Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem but my mileage had dropped 30-40% and now transmission hesitated to shift into 4th gear after the dealer replaced the shift sensor. AMCO is going to look at it next week to see if they can figure out what the problem is since the dealer thinks this is normal operation but likes to see me come by so they can charge me for the visit. Doctors and Dealerships must come from the same mold.
  • randomnessrandomness Member Posts: 10
    Reading through some of these posts sounds like similar problems to what I'm having. Brought it to the dealer today to be serviced and of course they found nothing wrong whatsoever.

I know nothing about cars. All I know is that a couple of weeks ago the car started acting weird. On the highway, I'd be driving about 50mph and would step on the gas to go faster and it wouldn't do anything so I had to do it again and it would kind of jump.

Then it started doing this driving down regular roads at no particular speed. It last did it on a 30-40 road and I didn't even have my foot on the gas. The ride would be smooth and all of a sudden the car would jump or spurt.

Then the other day as I approached a red light and started braking, the car slowed down but not fast enough. I know my car and I know that road, it couldn't have been the way I was driving. There was a puddle (although not that deep) and I think I might have just slid through the puddle and that's why the car didn't stop correctly. But when the light turned green and I stepped on the gas, the car wouldn't move. Turned the car off and on again, all I did was roll a few inches. Shut if off for a minute and restarted and I was able to go again and that has been the one and only time it's ever stalled. I want to blame the puddle even though it wasn't raining hard at all and I have driven in much deeper puddles than that on flooded roads and nothing ever happened.

I've also suspected that my gas mileage has been going down but blamed it on the way I was driving but seems other people on here are saying it goes with transmission problems.

I'm wondering if I should trade it in rather than wait for the next time to stall and I can't get started again. :lemon: Or, the next time the brakes don't work, there happens to be someone in front of me and I get to "roll" right into them killing my insurance and driving record with an at fault accident. Trading it in seems like the best option.
  • dancinangi80dancinangi80 Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced the trani in my wonderful nickle-and-dime me focus, I was curious..is the torque converter in the transmission or is it seperate. I was charged 1289.63 for the trani, then 369.00 for the torque converter, then 69.00 for some other parts. I just got it back yesterday, and when I got onto the freeway and started driving, a light came on. A exclamation point. Pulled over and it turned off. Got back on, it turned on again.. it seems that when I start driving over 65 mile an hour, it comes on. If I keep it below that, it stays off. When I look it up in the little book that comes with the car, it says that it is a multifuction key for the transaxle/coolant engine system, something or other...its not in front of me now its back in the car. Now when changing the trani, what areas do they have to mess with...is it only the bottom of the car..the top and bottom...etc. When I took it in, my engine stuff seemed all nice and neat. Now it seems all messy. Does anyone have the answer to the millions of questions I just asked? Oh..its a 2002 Ford Focus with the ztech motor...dual overhead...if that helps at all.
  • mabelle1mabelle1 Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2003 Focus ZTW that was having transmission problems. I also contacted Ford and was told they were not aware of any problems with this model. Less than 60,000 and transmission had to be rebuilt. The shop I brought my car too to have it repaired contacted a friend of his at a Ford dearlership to see if he knew why my Focus would be having this problem. Sure enough he new exactly what was wrong. He told the gentlemen that was working on my car to look at the pistons. The pistons are defective and Ford is well aware of this probelm. Part of the piston is chipping off, cloughing the filters causing the belt to run hot. I have both the pistons and belt that came out of my transmission. I wish I know how to make Ford live up to this problem. Maybe a class action suit should be looked into.
  • burnmyfocusburnmyfocus Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same problem, it is the coil springs. Mine broke and because it was broke the wheel bearing broke also. Luckily, Ford has extended the warranty on it so it was a covered repair. Good luck to you.

Now I am fighting with them over my slipping transmission.
  • burnmyfocusburnmyfocus Member Posts: 2
    Ok, so on Friday I had the broken coil sping and the wheel bearing replaced and now my tranny is slipping in 2nd and 3rd. I call Ford who tells me that my car HAD a 36/36 bumper to bumper and that it could not be extended even though the tranny problem is rampant in this model. She did tell me that the 2006 or newer has a 100,000 ml power train warranty due to the previous model years issues..... Hello.... Why not extend the warranty on the models that are HAVING the issue? She told me they cannot extend it, I asked to speak to someone who could and was told there was no one who could, not in the whole Ford Motor Company??? NOPE! She also told me that if I have problems with my fuel pump that the warranty for that has been extended for 10 years.... So, one can be extended and the other can't?? My rear door locks have been replaced once and one side only lasted 3 or 4 months, my ignition froze up and it cost me $250 for a locksmith to replace it, one side of my serpentine belt strips off as soon as it is put on (have been thru 3 0r 4 of them now in 3 years), button on shifter wouldnt push in to put it in gear due to some safety thing under the brake pedal that ford didnt have any clue what I was talking about so I just removed it, then the broken coil sping broke the wheel bearing and they had me drive it home and bring it back the next day without telling me my wheel could fall off! I have had enough!! Stand behind your product people! :mad:
  • focusyofocusyo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I got this car with 5.5K miles on it. It was a literal Grandmas car (my Grandma)
    Because the car was seven years old I changed all the fluids. The car would always run poorley when it got hot outside which is a lot of the time in Southern Calif. Liked others described, I would be going 40 and want to speed up. I apply gas and nothing. More gas and nothing. Punch it and the car would kick down.
    I was getting terrible milege.

I read through the posts and stumbled on the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor. I replaced the sensor and the 3.1 Qts of Fluid. When I changed the fluid intitially, I used MaxLife Dextron/Mercon. This time when the sensor was replaced I used Mercon V fluid from Castrol. The car runs much better and my milageage has improved by a lot. I now have an ocassional problem at idle where the car bumps.
    That is the best way I can describe it.

Thanks for all who post and I hope this helps
  • aokronglyaokrongly Member Posts: 1
    The first time this issue happened (at 60k miles) I paid a transmission shop $600 to fix it. It just happened again (at 100k miles) and I fixed it myself for about $50. It's a fairly common problem, so I'm posting the symptoms, codes and instructions here to help others.

I own a 2002 Ford Focus with automatic transmission. The symptoms are that the transmission disengages (slips out of gear) when it goes into 3rd gear. When the car slows down to 20 miles an hour or so (or when you stop) it re-engages. You can drive the car in 1st or 2nd gear generally. The transmission light comes on. There are no noises associated with this problem. If you have this problem then it's probably the "A" Solenoid that needs to be replaced. Here's how you make sure that's the case and fix it for $50.

1. You need to pull the diagnostic computer codes. Ford will pull them for you for $100. But, you can do it for free by going to AutoZone. They have a loaner computer diagnostic code puller. If you bring the car they'll just do it for you in the parking lot. If you want to borrow the tool then they will want a $200 security deposit. I recommend that you bring the car to them if you it's close. Also, there are lots of small shops that will pull the code for you for free. There's no reason to pay a "diagnostic fee" to pull the computer repair code. This code will tell you Exactly which solenoid to replace. It's typically the "A" solenoid, though.

2. Once you get the code you need to know which solenoid to replace. Here is a list of diagnostic solenoid codes:

P0750 SSA SSA solenoid circuit failure SSA circuit failed to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during on-board diagnostic. No reverse gear (short) or no fourth gear (open). Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0751 SSA SSA functional failure Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the shift solenoid. Not all gears present. REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom (307-01 , DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).
    P0755 SSB SSB solenoid circuit failure SSB circuit fails to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during on-board diagnostic. Not all gears present. No converter clutch apply in third and fourth gears. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0756 SSB SSB functional failure Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the shift solenoid. Not all gears present. No converter clutch apply in third and fourth gears. REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom (307-01 , DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).
    P0760 SSC SSC solenoid circuit failure SSC circuit fails to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during on-board diagnostic. Not all gears present. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0761 SSC SSC functional failure Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the shift solenoid. Not all gears present. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0765 SSD SSD solenoid circuit failure SSD circuit fails to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open, shorted or PCM driver circuit failure during on-board diagnostics. Not all gears present. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0766 SSD SSD functional failure Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the shift solenoid. Not all gears present. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0770 SSE SSE solenoid circuit failure SSE circuit failed to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open. Shorted or PCM driver circuit failed during on-board diagnostics. Not all gears present. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.
    P0771 SSE SSE functional failure Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the shift solenoid. Not all gears present. Refer to Pinpoint Test A.

3. It's fairly easy to replace the solenoid. You need a 5/16 socket and rachet and a tube of Gray RTV Gasket Maker (you can get it at any auto parts store).

4. You need to buy the solenoid. I only found it at Ford. For some reason when I told 3 different parts managers I wanted the "A" solenoid (which is how it's described in every Ford transmission diagram and on the computer code) they didn't know which one it was. There are 6 solenoids in the transmission. The "A" solenoid is the one they sell the most of and probably have on hand - because it goes out fairly often on this model. The Ford part number (off the bag) is XS4Z-7H148-AA. I paid about $45 for it at a Ford dealership.

5. For the repair you need to raise the front of the car. I used ramps, but make sure it's secure. The transaxle (transmission) is in the front right, as you look at the car. The bottom is a pan, like an oil pan, with about 20 bolts holding it on. They're 5/16th's. There's transmission fluid in the pan, but no "drain bolt". So, have a pan ready to catch the fluid once the transmission pan comes loose. Be careful. Transmission fluid is hot, it will make a mess. And, the pan has a silicone gasket seal around it. So, once you get the bolts off/loose you will probably need to work the pan loose. Don't bend it. (Make sure you get all the bolts off, it's easy to miss one.) I left one bolt on the front so I could ease the pan loose from the transmission on the back and let the fluid run into a pan. Then I removed the pan.

6. You will see SIX solenoids in the transmission. You can't miss them. Each one has a different colored wire going to it. The A Solenoid has a white wire going to it, it's a small solenoid in the center on the right. It's held in place by one bolt (that's also 5/16ths). Unplug the wire, remove the bolt and remove the solenoid. Put the new solenoid in.

7. Carefully and completely scrape all the old gasket off the transmission surface the the edge of the fluid pan. Clean it. Then apply the new gasket (from the tube) onto the edge of the pan. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you just apply a thin bead of gasket compound. Don't use too much or the excess will get into your transmission and cause a problem.

8. Replace the pan. Let the gasket set according to the instructions on the tube - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. And refill the transmission with transmission fluid. I was told to use the same fluid I took out, by someone I trust. You use a funnel and refill it through the transmission dipstick tube (front, right of the engine, yellow handle). Make sure you put it in the right place. Fill it slowly. Then run the engine and check the fluid. Add until it reads correctly on the dipstick. You check transmission fluid with the car running and the fluid hot.

9. Look under to car to make sure there are no leaks around the transmission pan. Over the next days and weeks keep an eye out for leaking transmission fluid when you park. If the transmission pan is leaking then you'll need to redo the gasket but do a better job this time.

That's it! It's so easy a 14 year old kid could do it. It doesn't take strength, mechanical ability or the ability to grow a beard. It just takes care, patience and dirty hands. Have a shop do it for you for $450-$600 OR MORE. Or do it yourself for $
  • claires1claires1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    looks like a few people have had this problem and I could really do with some help on this.
    I have an automatic focus but live in England (where people mainly have manuals) and no garage not even ford can diagnose the problem.
    The gear changes aren't smooth and it jolts into gear, sometimes the automatic transmition warning light comes on but this does not log a fault code onto the computer, an engineer has even test driven my car with the computer plugged in and the light has come on and no fault code shows up.
    The fault started off very intermittent but now every time i get in it i am learched into gear.
    The solenoid and valve body have been changed but the problem still remains - any ideas please???
    Thanks
  • alphiljalphilj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ZTW with transmission problems. Actually, just about every other week something awful happens to it (my brakes are squeaky, even though every part has been replaced, it smelled like my engine caught on fire, then my battery died, but it turned out that my alternator was bad and ruining everything, and then my fuel pressure regulator was hit while trying to fix the alternator, which turned into an expensive dealer part! I still have a sound like a pigeon that goes off every-so-often that has yet to be made clear).

The problem at hand now: I get a strange smell 100% of the time when I turn off of a 40mph road onto a residential street (very tight 90* turn, so I slow way down). It smells like a belt is burning. On Labor Day weekend, I went out to a lake and right at about 85 miles on my trip, I made a bad turn that turned into a gravel road. I immediately turned around, but for some reason, after that rough gravel road, my transmission couldn't find 3rd gear anymore. It tries to go to it, but can't, so it slips itself into neutral. I can drive it just fine in my low gears, but now even they're having problems! Now, the car struggles to find 1st without slipping and had a very hard time finding 2nd once. I am worried the problem is more than a sensor or something coming loose on a bumpy road. I'll keep you posted on what my problem turns out to be, and I'm willing to talk about that class action if it is something like my pistons...
  • trait1000trait1000 Member Posts: 1
    bought and '08 Focus several months ago. After 9500 miles, new transmission
    was put in. After another 1000 miles, am starting to feel the lurches and slips that many on this forum are complaining about. When I talked to my dealer about it,
    they stated they didn't know of any tranny problems with Focus. I've only made for or five payments on this vehicle. Any suggestions.
  • 4steeles14steeles1 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to thank you for posting how to fix the transmission problems for the ford focus. I did exactly what you said to do and my transmission works fine now. Once again THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![aokrongly] His message is number 76!!! my transmission works perfectly and it only cost me a little over $48, if you have this problem with your tranny just follow his directions and it will be fine. :) :shades:
  • gmanceragmancera Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Ford Focus and when the car is first started in the morning and you shift the car to reverse there is a loud vibration that you can feel and hear. Once the car is running for a while the vibration is almost gone but still feel it a little only when you shift it into reverse. The transmission shifts fine and drives fine.
  • wayne652wayne652 Member Posts: 1
    A big THANK YOU for the P0750 trouble light post(76). I got a $2500-3000 estimate to rebuild my transmission and decided to think it over or give car away. Read and followed your instruction plus changed the filter and everything works great.
  • positronicpositronic Member Posts: 1
    My Focus has about 51k and while driving it would appear to act like it is in neutral and suddenly kick into gear. I called around and some shops thought the tranny would need an overhaul. I took it to Ford who initially quoted me $1300 and said a band needed replacing. I called an Amco shop and between speaking with their tech and the Ford tech I was able to get Ford to quote the job at $780. The Ford service dept figures out the bill, not their tech. The Amco shop looked up Ford's time to change the band which I relayed to the Ford tech who agreed and relayed that to the service dept who then gave me the $780 quote, about $500 less than previously quoted.

As to the band replacement diagnostic, the Ford tech ruled out solenoid issues with their test equipment and confirmed with their test equipment that the transmission was not going into 2nd or 4th gear. Also, the tranny oil was not burnt (btw - for normal driving be sure to replace tranny oil every 30k as overheating is the main cause of tranny failure according to some tranny site). The Ford tech says the 2-4 Band, which is some mechanical part that allows it to go into 2nd & 4th gear, had broke at the spot welds. He says the band had 6 spot welds and he is seeing them break at around 50k to 60k, and, that the replacement band has 8 spot welds. So, thought I'd post this here since the problem sounds somewhat like other posts but the actual repair is different, i.e., not solenoids or tranny overhaul.
  • focuschickfocuschick Member Posts: 2
    recent tranny problems - 150 k miles on 2000 zx3 - just did new fluid and filter- no speedometer - I have Rev and D1 but no upshift from 1st gear - any suggestions
  • focuschickfocuschick Member Posts: 2
    I posted a trans problem a few days ago - have rev 1st and 2nd - no 3rd gear but also no speedometer reading/ the odometer goes blank with ....... and ---------/ the transmission and engine light both come on. I was wondering did you experience any of these symptoms? and also the car worked(trans seemed ok) one day and not the next day the problem would be present again - Thanks Amy
  • anthonycastaanthonycasta Member Posts: 1
    Greetings All ....

Just bought a used focus ... 2000 ZX3, the previous owner told me that the trans slips and might need to be replaced ... After reading this forum, I decided to pull the DTC's ....

The only transmission code that was in there was

P0751 - Shift sol A perf/stuck

After reading some of the other posts #76 to be exact, I am wondering if replacing the "A" solenoid would solve this problem ... It slips in 3rd, but the passing gear works ... Reverse is fine so far ... The car has 133K and I have no history on it ...

Please Advise ...
    Thx .. Tony
  • dlhjr1970dlhjr1970 Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading many of the post on the forum, but have not seen any post matching my own, so I'm gonig to request that if any one else reading this has had or has read a post from a person with similar problems please let me know.

I own a 2001 ford focus se, 4 door sedan, automatic transmission with 180,xxx miles. I purchased the car used about three years ago.The car has had an intermitten problem since june or july of 2008 were it down shifts into the next lower gear momentarily then shifting back into the appropriate gear. It might only do it once or it migh do it a couple dozen time over the course of several miles. Aside from this problem the car seems to be running a driveing just fine.

So far I have sent my car to a transmission shop, they had it for a week, but it never acted up for them. I don't like throwing parts at cars, but not knowing what the problem is; I drive alot and I need this car, I need to get it fixed, so I had a new sensor installed for $95. Since then the problem seemed only to happen when it was very hot outside ( 90 degree or more). August, September the problem was not to bad becasue tempraturea were not to high, but now it's doing it in december when it's only 4 degrees outside, and the car is still acting up. Sometimes within the first few miles of driving.

The problem does seem to be getting worse, but it is still intermitten. The car has no codes, but within the last couple months I've had to drive at night, so with my lights on, radio playing, I notice the light flickering at the same time I'm haveing the problem with the transmission.. :confuse:

Has any one else enconttered this problem? Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Did anybody invstigate the The Overdrive Off switch circuitry.?
    I'm assuming that when this happens there is no change in throttle position or road conditions, slight upgrades for example.
    Something electrical is probably affecting the transmission.
  • mrkings66mrkings66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a ford focus 2002 - had same problems getting into 3rd gear. In addition to the 3rd gear problem, suddenly I also lost reverse gear. I searched the internet and found your posting. I followed your instructions (#76) and the 3rd gear problem was fixed. But my car still has no reverse gear. Do I need to replace another solenoid?
    thank you.
  • JiltedFordGrrlJiltedFordGrrl Member Posts: 3
    Please add me to the list of Focus' with bad transmissions. I have a 2005 Focus ZX4 SES, I just rolled 40,000 miles. My transmission, in a 1 mile stretch of road, downshifted twice, went into neutral with no warning as an 18 wheeler was barreling up behind me with no place to pull over, luckily that is when it downshifted the 2nd time and I was able to pull ahead without being creamed. It then didn't want to upshift. I tried to limp it to the dealership just 1/4 mile down the road but when I turned onto the road it went into neutral as cars were coming, I was able to get it into reverse and park it. A friend towed it to a shop for me to have it repaired, assuming it would be under the factory power train warranty. I bought this car used with 25,000 miles on it last year, I was not told that the 2005 Focus did not have a factory powertrain warranty. The dealership who looked at my car to see what was wrong with it called me and told me I have no warranty, sure that this man was a bumbling idiot I called Ford to straighten all this out, but there's nothing to straighten out. I have bought several new Ford vehicles, each one had a factory power train warranty, like all brands of cars. According to the people I spoke to at Ford today that particular car was not offered with a factory power train warranty. On another note, the people at Ford were rude, at least the supervisor, she had the nerve to tell me I should've bought the car at an authorized Ford dealership, not Carmax, she said if I had they would've told me I had no factory power train. I find it strange that Ford is willing to stand behind all their cars, except this one. Ford knew what this car was, yet still produced it and sold it. I have always been a Ford girl, but not anymore. Not after this. I can't support a company who treats their customers like this. I think this car has had a problem with the transmission the whole time I have owned it, the car is rated to get 26/34 mpg, no matter how I drive I can't get over 19 mpg, and I live in a small town, there is no stop and go traffic here, I drive highway speeds most of the time, this car has been treated well since I have owned it, I buy only Chevron gasoline, I put fuel cleaner in regularly, I've driven it nicely, as far as I know it has never been in an accident, I purchased it used at CarMax. I just don't understand how Ford can get away with saying these cars have no known transmission problem when it looks pretty obvious to me. How did they get away with not selling a powertrain warranty on one particular car??? If I find a civil action suit I am joining it, if not I will try to start one, I will be sure to post if I do. I live paycheck to paycheck, I do not have access to a bus, there is one taxi in this town. I am a single mother and I bought this car only because my other one's wiring was so old it was rotting out. I thought this was a good car, it got rave reviews on all the sites I saw, it got an AMI Auto World Best Used Car, I thought I was making a good purchase, now I can't afford to fix the car. From what I can tell transmission repairs will run between $2,000-$5,000. I can't drop that kind of cash, I can't afford to pay back a loan to fix the car and pay my bills, I barely make it as it is. I don't know what to do. :sick: :mad: :cry: :lemon:
  • JiltedFordGrrlJiltedFordGrrl Member Posts: 3
    I found a website, ConsumerAffairs.com, you can report the problems you are having with your car and a lawyer who specializes in class action suits will review it and possibly start a class action suit for us. I believe this is how the 2000-2001 Focus owners got their settlements from Ford on their class action lawsuit for the brakes. I also found carcomplaints.com, you can go list the problems you have had with your car, it keeps track of them. If we all go on these websites and post and post and post, something has to get done. Someone will notice. If nothing else it will keep others from making the same mistake we made and purchasing this car. If I had found this website and seen all your comments I would never have bought this car. The 2000-2001 Focus owners with bad brakes actually started their own website, fordfocusbrakeproblems.com. If I knew how to do that I would start a Focus tranny problem website. I hope this helps any of you. :D
  • travsfocustravsfocus Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 focus hatchback with the 5 speed tranny. my problem is that here in the last 3-4 days it has been "popping out" of 5th gear. thats the only gear. im not sure how to adjust the linkage or will this even do it? i love the car it gets very good gas milage, and it is kinda peppy. if any one could help or lead me in the right direction that would be great. Thanx in advance.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Adjusting linkage might help. You have a cable shift system. You'll have to get a very specific workshop manual to do the adjustments.

If that doesn't work, then you should check for a bad motor mount or transmission mount.

If that doesn't work, then it's an internal problem--internal wear of synchronizers or selector fork.
  • javasjavas Member Posts: 1
    Recently I bought a Focus H/B 2006 model from a used car dealer in Dubai. The car was looking fine inside & out and has done only 30,600 KMs. After few days I have noticed problem with transmision - gear shifting downwrds at high speeds and engine jerking. After that engine system fault indication will come and gear will not work in manual mode also. I took the car to the agent in Abu Dhabi and they promised that it is due to some electrical fault and the problem will be fixed soon and it is covered by factory warrenty on power train. Unfortunately now it is more than 10 days the car is with the agency and they could not dignosys the fault since it is an intermittent fault. Also the agency is claiming that there is no more warrenty for the Transmission, since there is signs of accident in the bottom oil drain pan. After spending 10 days with the car now they are telling the complete transmission has to be brought down for further investigation to diagnosys the fault wich will cost $500 only for dismantling the transmission. The cost of repair will be many folds higher! The car is with full service history with the agency and I am not able to digest their claim for signs of accident in the bottom oil drain pan making the factory warrenty null & void.
    Can anybody advise me on this matter?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I have no idea what your legal rights are in Dubai, or what the obligations are of the Ford dealer there, but here in the states the dealer, and Ford, would have to prove that the damage to the oil pan had any effect on the transmission.

My view? If it's a small dent, that is an unlikely cause. If there's a hole/leak, well that's a different matter and doesn't look good for you. It also doesn't look good for the used car dealer, but again, I don't know what you can do to him legally in Dubai.
  • bird54bird54 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 Focus with 50,474 unabused miles on it and the transmission failed on 1/26/09. It was like I knocked it into neutral when I tried to go above 25 miles per hour. I managed to drive it to Dewey Ford in Ankeny, Iowa where they took it for a test drive-which confirmed what I had experienced and hooked it up to the computer-and it showed no "codes". The service "adviser" said something about a valve cover they could replace for> $800.00, plus $300.00 for taking the "pan" down. They really could not tell what was wrong but he thought it was electrical not mechanical. Not trusting in the dealerships opinion-I had it towed to a reliable trustworthy Transmission garage. They took it a part and basically the "drum" broke due to a weakness in the part-let me cut to the case and I quote "a crappy cheap product that was defective from the factory". Second and 4th gear were gone. This was not something that resulted in poor driving but poorly made parts. I contacted the Ford customer service number 800-392-3673 and of course there is nothing that Ford can do since my car is out of warranty-how predictable. The customer service person asked why I did not get my car fixed at the dealership. First of all they wanted >$3200 for a transmission and second why would I trust Ford to put in another poorly made transmission. I realize that I am one small speck of a person in this vast world and who cares if I will never buy another Ford. There are plenty of other suckers that will invest their hard earned money in a Ford vehicle. Is it any wonder that the automakers are needing a bailout-they make crappy cars that won't stand the test of time. It use to that a Ford stood for something. Now you are lucky if the vehicle keeps running a little past when the warranties are up-without still owing anything on it. Ford has to know that there is a problem with the transmissions-they just won't take responsibilty for them.
  • Lance529Lance529 Member Posts: 1
    I read your post and thought I could offer a possible solution to your problem. I own a 2005 Focus SE, auto/ trans with mileage just north of 63K. My "O/D" (overdrive) switch - located on the shifter - seemed not to work at all. No matter how many times I pressed the button the dash light indicating that the overdrive was off remained lit. I started to trace the problem from the switch to the transmission by first removing the plastic shifter housing between the two front seats. To my surprise when I wiggled the connector, found just behind the gear shifter, the "O / D OFF" dash light would go on and off with the ignition in the "on" or "run" position (without starting the car). There was an intermittent electrical connection being made in the connector. When I separated the male end of the connector from the female end, I found the telltale evidence of liquid infiltration. Apparently, soda, coffee or some other foreign liquid had gotten into the connector and caused the trouble. Note: Before I removed the center console in order to start my troubleshooting expedition, I noticed that every once in a while I could get the "O /D" light to toggle off and on when I cycled the ignition on and off again and again. This might explain the intermittent nature of your problem. My fix involved very, very carefully taking the female connector apart using jeweler's flat-blade screwdrivers and cleaning the affected individual connector, first with soapy water using a slightly dampened cotton swab , then spraying with electrical contact cleaner. I then did the same thing on the "male" end of the connector. Hope this helps. :)
    Thank-you so much for your insite. Unfortunately my car is repaired-the drum on the transmission was cracked. So now I've forked over >$1700.00 in repairs.
    Good luck with your car-
  • josh5mjosh5m Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Ford Focus SE Auto... Nothing is "wrong" I just need to change my tranny fluid/filter.

I am looking for a step-by-step guide on how to do it so I do not make any mess-ups.

Is doing a full change okay or would it be better for me to pay the damned $200 ford wants to flush it out for me?

Thanks!
    According to the transmission garage where I took my car to be repaired DO NOT EVER get a transmission flush-which I did back in May 2008. You can't change the filter without taking out the "pan"?? Ford will flush then do a backwash and add chemicals to clean out the tranny. I find it strange that my transmission failed so soon after this FLUSH. My "servo" failed and then the drum broke. DON'T LET FORD TOUCH YOUR CAR!! They are not to be trusted.
    So I found this site that has a walk through let me know if you think its legit and if its a good one to follow.

eHow ATF Change

Also, Do you think its okay to change the filter too?
    Can I use Mobile 1 full synthetic ATF or should i use motorcraft's brand? Both are mercon v
  • FireChiefMFireChiefM Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much to Aokrongly (#76) for the help!! I have a 2002 Ford Focus wagon (96K) and had the same problems getting into 3rd gear. I searched the internet and found your posting. I followed your instructions (#76) and the 3rd gear problem was fixed. The only thing to add is that I decided to replace the filter. I purchased it from AutoZone for $20 and to my surprise it came with a pan gasket. By using the gasket instead of the gray RTV I was able to avoid the RTV curing time, which was important to me using a borrowed stall.
  • dno36dno36 Member Posts: 71
    Jilted,
    How has your Trans Issue gone??
    Read your post and feel your pain.
    I too am mid-tranny pissed off. Slipping, erratic, possessed, transmission that may kill someone who has too much faith in its ability to get someone out of harms way.
    I hope you have at least emotionally recovered from your ordeal. I am still tweaked by the experience.
    At least my Chrysler mini-van had a "limp-in" mode where it worked in second gear until you could get to saftey.
    Ford ignores me like I am a bad penny.
    The dealers, both I went to, are a rude as rude can be. I guess if I had an Expedition they might give me the "time of day".
    I have done a bunch of research and, while being quite handy, I don't want to "practice" fixing this rolling depreciation. So...
    I am going to try 2 things:
    #1 - A solid advisor suggested trying to do a reverse flush:
    a. change the fluid and filter. Do not power-flush.
    b. double secure block the rear wheels and set parking brake in a safe location.
    c. Start car in park and allow to warm up to normal temperature.
    d. Put car in reverse and allow to idle at least 30 minutes with car in reverse gear at idle.
    e. Make sure your car is safely secured and will not move in the slightest. The cooling fan should kick on when the temp goes up, this is necessary to aide in cleaning.
    f. After 30 mins, let cool, drain fluid and change filter again.
    g. He call this a reverse flush and says it should be done every 36 mos or 36K miles. It is supposed to clean the debris and sludge that can accumulate in the precision valves and passages.

If this does not work, then I will try #76's route and take it to AutoZone to get codes and see if it is a solenoid that needs replacing.

Jilted, your post inspired me. I will not quit 'til i am satisfied.

Keep the faith,

Dean.