Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Climate Control/AC

Comments

• fasteddie3fasteddie3 Member Posts: 2
    o yea its a 2004 grand prix gtp
  • ace14ace14 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 00 grand prix gt, and all of a sudden, my heater and AC started not to work and when i tried putting the Defog button it won't work, i tried putting it on a higher speed and nothing, i also tried just the regular heat and it still doesnt work, any suggestions or anything i can do to correct this problem. :confuse:
  • monz1562monz1562 Member Posts: 2
    After going to dealer and having the blower resister rerplaced it still did not work about $300.00

It was the fan ignition switch and that was $400.00
  • trangetrange Member Posts: 3
    Help! My "heat problem" is a strange one...

When I turn on the heat in my car, (after the engine has been throughly warmed up)the air does not come out of the vents hardly at all EVEN when the fan is turned all the way up.(setting 5)I realize that it will not come out as strong as the cold air will but it feels like the setting is on "1" when I actually have it on 5!

NOW, if I leave it turned all the way up (setting 5 still)and change it to COLD, the air comes out of the vents just fine.

My mechanic has tore apart my entire dash, and checked under the hood for EVERYTHING but has found nothing. (bad heater core, plugged hoses, flushed the system, etc...

It doesn't make sense! Why would the hot air not come out as strong as the cold air when I have it on the highest setting? It did not do this last winter...

Any advice??? Thanks everyone!
  • christy10christy10 Member Posts: 19
    hay do you have to do something with airbags? i dont want them coming out.
  • christy10christy10 Member Posts: 19
    hey, i just found what your problem is. i change blower motor, resistor, heat control assy. found out that it is ignition switch wires. not key part. that controls the 1-4 5th is by its self. it cost me 100.00 at advance auto and about 2 hours to do. if you have airbags MUST UNPLUG IT AND BATTERY WAITING 1 HOUR FOR ALL JUICE OUT SO THAT DONT GO OFF.... I HOPE I COULD HELP EMAIL IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS.
  • crazy_pilotcrazy_pilot Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Grand Prix SE w/3.8 engine. I have been having some issues with the climate control system.

When I have the system set to vent only and I accelerate, the system changes the air flow to the floor. When I let off the gas or I achieve highway speeds, the system then corrects itself back to the vents. The same thing occurs when I have the system on the floor setting. I acclerate, it goes to the vent, then returns to floor when speed is reached or I let off accelerator.

This happens on either Heat or A/C. The change isn't immediate, but takes about 3-5 seconds to happen and to correct itself after I let off the accelerator. I'm thinking a vacuum line leak or check valve issue? Any response or thoughts is much appreciated!!!!!!
  • duncan21101duncan21101 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 98 supercharged grand prix with 60,000 miles and have been experiencing many problems with the climate control system. I have already changed the blower motor control module and also dropped the blower motor in order to oil the shaft to stop the annoying squeal from the blower motor. I have the automatic climate control system and when I turn the up to speed five, the fan noise increases but the air blows out of the vents very weak. Also, when I change the mode from vent to floor, floor to vent, etc., there is no change in the direction of air flow through the venting system. Any help with this please?
  • craig32craig32 Member Posts: 30
    Most in this forum have it where the heater fan works on at least 1 setting (so resistor is the solution).
    But mine is COMPLETELY DEAD (and daytime running lights are starting to sporaticallly go out).

I know it could be the fan blower, itself (anyone know where to get 1 cheap?), but isn't there a Relay under the drivers side of the dash that also is 1 of the problems/solutions???
  • pjbonkerspjbonkers Member Posts: 1
    We also have a '04 Grand Prix GTP with the exact same problem. Were you able to isolate the problem? What was it and did you fix it yourself or have to take it in? I have to unhook the battery to get the blower to shut off.
  • scott855scott855 Member Posts: 3
    I have the EXACT same problem, only mine is a 96. I can actually hear a whistle also. Usually mine acts up around 1800 RPM's. If anyone has an answer on what part usually causes this issue, I'd appreciate it very much.
    I found the problem. There is a vacuum line that runs from the back of the intake. Follow it around near the cruise control and under the battery to under the fender where it plugs in to a black ball looking thing. Apparently I borke mine when I replaced the battery. Make sure it is not leaking or broke. As soon as I replaced the line it worked perfect.
  • teeboo1978teeboo1978 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. The air conditioner works fine and blows cold, but the mode switch is broken. I can not switch it to make it blown threw certain vents. It wants to blow through every one of them at once and it takes forever to finally feel the air flow. Does anyone have any idea of what needs to be done or how to do it? Thanks!
    Does it change with different engine speeds? in other words, does it seem to work while you are at an idle, and then not work when you accelerate? If it does, it will be that little thin vacuum line that runs under the fender in to that black ball. Follow it until you find a crack. If you changed your battery recently, you may have broke it, because it runs under it. That is how I messed mine up. Other than that, I am not sure of the inner workings in the dash.
  • dascmjdascmj Member Posts: 2
    did you ever find out what was the problem? I have an 04 GT and like yours my blower does not shut off even with key out.
  • teeboo1978teeboo1978 Member Posts: 2
    No it does not change. Thanks for the suggestions though.
  • iansme1979iansme1979 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 04. It was the blower motor resistor. It cost about 70 dollars at the dealer and I replaced it myself. It plugs in under the dash next to the blower motor. Mine did it in January and I have not had it happen since I switched that resistor. The Dealership quoted me about 350.00 to fix. What a Rip....
  • iansme1979iansme1979 Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced the blower motor stayin on in My 04 GP GT2. When the dealer pulled out the blower motor resistor and connected the new blwer motor resistor it did not change anything. However once he actually screwed the resistor back in and fully installed it,the blower motor shut down. If you are changing it make sure you screw it back into place. That I guess grounds it out. If you plug it in and try it as the wires are hanging out it prolly still wont work. As far as the A/C switch coming on all the time, mine doesnt, If I leave the A/C on when I shut off the car its on when I get in, If its off when I shut off the car its off when I get in, of course due to the issues with the blower unit I shut my fan off all the way when I turn off the car so that when I turn the car on, my heater unit isnt doing anything either way. In my '03 Trailblazer as well as my brothers Impala SS The condensor light would come on almost all the time when the auto climate control was turned on however the condenser was not running, My dealer said this was a way to know that the auto climate control is acutally on and if the temp rises the compresser would kick on when needed however shutting that off would stop the compressor from coming on at all. I just cant believe how many people would let this drive them insane. I can think of many other issues Ive had with other vehicles like my 01 Lincoln LS that always went to driver setting 2 (with driver setting two no longer being programmable) no matter what key you used and continuously smashed me into the steering wheel, moved my mirrors, steering wheel, and Climate control around and switched the stereo channels to a ghost person because I never set up driver two settings, and that was "unfixable" according to Lincoln without changing a 750.00 transistor, be glad you can "fix" it by pushing a button.
  • dascmjdascmj Member Posts: 2
    thanks man I will try that
  • jonsinjonsin Member Posts: 1
    Which service port should I use to check the freon pressure? Is it the one next to the firewall in the middle, or the one closer to the front of the car?
  • chad8chad8 Member Posts: 9
    2000 grand prix w/dual climate control...the drivers side blows hot air and the passenger side is good and cold. is there a damper or vacum line somewhere that i need to check or is it something else
  • geezer7geezer7 Member Posts: 1
    The switch that controls the fan inside the car does not work,i check the fuse,its fine.I hear the a/c compressor engaging.but,no air comes through the vents.
    i have gotten no response on this problem, but i did find out on my own that the dual climate control is operated by two seperate motors that control the dampers in this car....another thing to make sure and check if u have this problem even if u don't think u need to is to check freon because the set up on the vents on grand prix will blow cold on pssngr side and hot on driver's side if it is low.
  • msafritmsafrit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand prix gt with the 3800 v6. I would like to add some compressor oil but cannot find the low pressure port. Can someone let me know where it is at. Thanks for all the help..Marty
  • buckeye1872buckeye1872 Member Posts: 8
    wondering if you have fixed problem? did you have to replace one of the motors? I had the freon re charged so i should be good to go as far as that is concerned. thx
    i did not have to replace the motor(s) i had charged my ac about two weeks prior to this problem and thought that the motors were the problem but ended up i had a hell of a leak on the high side, i recharged the system along with a stop leak additive and so far so good....hopefully i make it through the end of the hot weather
  • boez03gtboez03gt Member Posts: 2
    I have an '03 GT with dual climate control (2 vertical levers). With the AC on, warm air comes out of the passenger side vents. When I move the passenger side lever up & down it starts blowing cold air again. Lately it takes a few tries & only lasts a couple minutes before the warm air returns. Any ideas on what's wrong?
  • kgnpenykgnpeny Member Posts: 4
    98 grand prix gt, 3800 v6, 130k miles, electronic duel climate control. I have the opposite problem as posted by chad8, a/c works fine on drivers side but hot air coming from the passenger vents. I'll be replacing the ambient air sensor mounted inside the front bumper as the readout for actual air temp is all over the place but the system tracks the readout correctly once it settles down, except for the hot air blowing on the passenger side. Last winter the climate control system/vent controls was making all sorts of hissing noises, as if adjusting itself constantly but more or less everything worked correctly (defrost settings, etc). I would appeciate any suggestions on what might be the cause of this problem. Thanks!
    there are two motors which control the dampers on your system...I would first stick a thermometer in the vent and play around w/the temp controls and make sure it doesn't fluctuate one way or the other...if it doesn't, I would check the motor first.
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions. By the way. replacing the ambient air temp sensor fixed the problem of erractic temperature readings. I'm really hesitent to take apart the dashboard to check/replace the passenger side air damper control motor, have read it can be a nightmare(lost retaining clips, etc)and difficult to get into the guts of the dash to get at the motor. Truth or fiction? Anyone have experience with replacing the motor? Any hints/tips would be helpfull, thanks.
    still having problem...system is charged, replaced driverside temp sensor, visually see actuator arm moving(gears on outside of motor), and temp does change from slightly cold to hot when i adjust temp. After doing all this I noticed ambient air temp reads about 20 degrees cool compared to actual temp. gonna replace this tomorrow(had to order). Would this sensor reading wrong have anything to do with cold pass side/ warm driver side?

kgnpeny... if you take kick panel, under steering wheel, off, and the metal steering wheel guard off, you can get a good look at actuator motor. Its a tight fit though.
  • shadow83blkshadow83blk Member Posts: 7
    I have a 98 GP GT with climate control. A few days ago my AC blower stopped. I turned off the car and restarted and it worked. A few days later it stopped and is dead. The climate control seems to be working (AC Compressor comes on, temp showing, all lights on and things change when I push the buttons.

I saw a lot of discussion about the blower resistor but all are about the fan not working on certain speeds, none mention not blowing at all. Could anyone tell me if the resistor going bad could completely stop the blower in all speeds? I hope it is just the resistor and if not the blower motor. I really don't want to have to spring for a climate control assy.
    I just replaced my blower motor. 2000 GTP with dual climate control. Im sure these dont have that resistor. The blower motor is located under the dash/ passenger side. Just take kick panel out and you will see it. It is only held in by three screws. If you got an advance auto parts by you get one from them. Theirs comes with a model that had connector with it. They dint have one for my year so I had to go to Autozone, and theirs I had to hard wire(splice). No biggie but just an extra step. This sounds like your problem. $100.00 for part. Good luck
  • wayne17wayne17 Member Posts: 6
    I'm still driving my 89 Grand Prix. For the last few years, I have been getting weak air flow through the vents, whether the AC is on or if the heater is blowing air through the vent. I have replaced the blower motor which didn't help. All speeds of the fan are working. When I turn to the highest fan speed, the fan noise increases greatly, but the air flow out of the vents only increases slightly. I checked the intake to the blower motor and nothing is restricting any flow on that side of the motor. Is there a cabin air filter which may be clogged and if so where would that be located? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I notice a lot of questions go unanswered.
  • jebnjebn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 grand prix w/same air flow problem. Air comes out of floor, defrost, and vents. The direction of air flow does not change. let me know if you find out what it is.
  • wayne17wayne17 Member Posts: 6
    I will post here when I find the problem. No sense in keeping good information from the group...
  • cherokeeraynecherokeerayne Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I've owned my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT since it came off the Dealer lot in 1998. The only real problems that I've ever really had with it is basic wear and tear except for the replacement of the altenator 3x after having to replace the speakers. I have had the low coolant light come on, due to corrosion of the sensor. The only real problem I've had with my Pontiac Grand Prix GT is my Air conditioning system went out on me after 7 years of use in Florida weather and had to have a new compressor put in.

Now for the real problem. My Air Condition is doing this absolutely weird thing of only blowing the cold air out of the passengerside vents and not the driver side. My Husband has taken the dashboard out of the car to try to find and fix the problem. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this to happen? I'm thinking that the "flapper door" is stuck in one certain position causing it to only send the cold air to the passenger side instead of both sides, but would like to know what/if there are other possiblities that may be causing the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cherokee

P.S. My low coolant light is still on even though everything else has been fixed.
    make sure your ac is fully charged because low freon will also create this problem
  • cherokeeraynecherokeerayne Member Posts: 4
    Well, my husband said more than likely not low freon as the passenger side is like a meat locker. The air blows evenly and forcefully through both passenger side and driver side vents. Only the driver side is blowing "warm"/non-cooled air through the vents. The other things is there the system is only a one core system with a common evaporator. The problem has to be in the air flow doors or in that general direction as to the problem. He said he may be wrong as to what he thinks the problem is, but has checked the freon and it is fully charged. The a/c had to be fixed a couple years ago as the compressor died and the a/c system was taken apart and parts replaced by a reliable GM certified mechanic. Any other ideas however, are greatly appreciated since my husband is already working on the problem and is going through and checking the most logical areas where the problem could originate.

Thanks,
    Cherokee Rayne
    I had the same problem. Short answer is it was low on freon. This will cause the problem. I had cold air pass/ warm driver. I had system recharged @ Valvoline, but they must not of done it properly. So after that I changed out...ACC unit, checked actuator, changed driver side temp sensor, changed outside temp sensor. Finally took it to my mechanic and he said he just added more freon. Blowing out freezing cold both sides!! If that is not your problem then the first thing I would check would be driver side actuator if it is an automatic dual climate control system. not sure if it is same on your car( i have a 2000) but it is fairly easy to get to. Remove kick panel under steering wheel, take steering wheel kick panel off(metal one). First time took awhile to take out, when I re checked it, took about 15 mins. Search "Morads" on ebay. He deals in used parts and has theses available.
    FYI, the problem was a faulty passenger side actuator/motor.
  • red97red97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 grand prix, first problem was that the fan motor quit replaced the fan motor, at first the unit worked fine now I only get an air flow (hot or cold) on fan stting 5. I have read on this forum about where the fan motor resistor is located but that appeared to be for newer gp's. Is this location (behind & left of the motor) accurate for my year as well? Sales person at part store said it would be behind the selector switch under the radio, after an hour of work found he was way wrong. Your price was accurate the resistor is only about $25.00
    Please help,
    thanx
  • sparty1sparty1 Member Posts: 2
    The heating in my 2002 Grand Prix is not working as it should. Now that fall has arrived, I've noticed that its taking much longer to heat up, and the temp is not as hot as it should be. I've also noticed that when it does heat up (warm/not hot), it sometimes reverts back to a cooler temp. I recently replaced the resistor that caused speeds 1 & 2 not to work, but that should not impact the temp. Any ideas?
  • shadow83blkshadow83blk Member Posts: 7
    I forgot to mention that the car has Climate Control (3 wired blower).

The car is my son's and he is away at college. He just called and the blower is completely dead, the connector is melted. Earlier he was able to get it running by wiggling the wires and the connector made contact. He didn't tell me that he had to keep doing this though. He is frantic and hot since I am not there and have no idea what it looks like. Does anyone know if the connector is wired to the blower and can be replaced? He said that it looks like it is part of a plastic housing.
  • kalel5235kalel5235 Member Posts: 1
    in my 05 GP i have the 3.8l non-sc and my heat doest get hot as it did, the temp ride a little lower than normal what do you think
  • xtremegixerxtremegixer Member Posts: 1
    So I thought i'd throw this out to everyone...i have an 04 GP GT and the heat decided it doesnt want to work. The blower still works and I was thinking it was the thermostat stuck wide open. Changed it since it was simple and that didnt fix the prob.

Im guessing it's probably the heater core? Has anyone changed this or have a link to a step by step on changing this. To answer some questions ahead of time....there is no coolant leaking into floorboard, there is definitely coolant in resevoir, and heat blows just barely warm...not hot like it should.

Thanks in advance...
    Blake
  • mrescomresco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Prix,,,Looking at the b/m resistor,,It looks like it is pop-riveted to the blower housing. Are they pop rivets? How is the resistor removed,,,,Thanks
  • coneyconeconeycone Member Posts: 5
    So I have not had heat for the past 2 months. Well, i live in Pittsburgh and well its winter time here. So here is what i have learned in researching this FAN problem.

If you have the issue of your Blower NOT working on speeds 1-4, this is probably your Blower resistor part. (a bit difficult to remove, but doable, price $25)

If you have the issue of your Blower NOT working on any speeds 1-5, this is going to be the Blower motor resistor or the Blower motor (very easy to uninstall and reinstall, price $50-$150, pending manual or automatic climate control).

If you have the issue of multiple things going wrong, HUD, Heated seats, Daytime running lights shutting off, rear defogger - This is most likely your Ignition Wiring ( i think the yellow and orange wires) thing that you read about on here.

I hope this helps, or at least saves you some diagnostic towards your problem.
  • joedude33joedude33 Member Posts: 1
    I have no heat in my grand prix. I have taken it to the mechanic twice now, they said the heater coil is fine and the first time they replaced the thermostat because they said it was broken and that should fix the problem. then a week later i took it back because the heat never came on. they then told me that i probably have a blockage in my engine coolant lines so i had my anti-freeze flushed out and then refilled. I still have no heat in my car and i am down $300. right now i am not concerned about the money that i have spent, i just want the heat in my car to work. i live in upstate new york and i am tired of wearing multiple layers in order to stay warm on my morning commute. does anybody have any advice on what i should do next. what else would be causing my heat to not work. all that is coming out is cold air so i dont think it could be the blower. i am a handy guy and i want to take a look at it myself tomorrow. any pointers on how i should approach this would be greatly appreciated... thank you..

Joe