Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• liyahsmommyliyahsmommy Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased my first Pontiac. It's a 2007 Grand Prix GT with 17,500 miles on it. Within a few days of my purchase, we had snow. I was terrified after a few moments on the road, because I started sliding EXTREMELY EASILY. I have always driven smaller cars, and I realize I am unused to a car the size of the GP which I now refer to as my death trap!! I have driven on snow for 13 years now though and never had so much trouble getting traction! The tires are Michelin MXV4 Plus and look new. After some research, I ordered some Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires hoping my problem is just the tires! Has anyone else had an experience with those particular Michelin tires on snow and ice? I'm so scared of driving it in the snow that I've even considered trading the car for something else and taking snow days off work if it snows again before the new tires come in!! :cry:
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    Pontiac seems to have a reputation for putting "performance" (summer) tires on most of their cars. I think is the main problem w/ trying to drive in snow. I have 2005 GXP that came with Bridgestone performance tires. They are very expensive to replace (around $290 just for 1 front tire), but they SUCK in the snow. Last winter I got caught twice trying to drive home for lunch in light snow (less than 3 inches), and both times pretty much feared for my life, and wondered if I would make it home. On 2 different occasions I either took a half day off, or the entire day off just because I didnt want to go thru the hassle of driving in the snow.

Needless to say last May I replaced all 4 tires. This was due to my tie rods being defective at only 16,000 miles, and caused one of the front tires to wear down to the cords. I ordered Pirelli all seasons all the way around for around $600 total. Luckily my dealer pitched in for one of the front tires at $290, so I only had to pay a little over $300 for all new tires, front and back. So far this winter, there has been a world of difference! I feel like I can go thru snow now like all of the other cars. I dont spin or slide nearly as much, and I havent had to call off work yet this year! LOL
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    I have had 3 pontiac's and now am on my 4th I put goodyear's on
    all of them I found that thay work the best in all type's of weather
    I am from ohio so I know snow and ice.
    Gearr
  • psnopikpsnopik Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac GT with the 17 inch wheels (225/55 17). A buddy have given me a set of Bridgestone Blizzak 205/60 16 tires (free). I am trying to find a set of wheels for those snow tires. I am having trouble finding anything that will fit them. I did locate a 16 X 6 6.5, Black, Steel for a 2004-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. Will this work? I am still looking at junk yards but not sure what size wheel I should be looking for. :confuse:
  • soccer21soccer21 Member Posts: 2
    does it matter what size rims you put on a Pontiac Grand Prix GT ?
  • gittyupgogittyupgo Member Posts: 1
    Well I have to agree. Took my wifes car into the tire shop today and the owner couldn't even guess what the strange wear pattern was from. We both checked the strut towerers for wear marks as thats what it looks like is happening. When we called the dealer he advised us to take it in and have the alignment checked. And he would see what our extended warranty covered. This car is driven by a 48yr old middle school teacher back and forth each day a whopping 4 miles. My first exp. with Goodyear is not a good one. Ours is a 2005 as well. :confuse:
  • polk40polk40 Member Posts: 1
    Hey what's up im new to this but my name is Ryan and i drive a pontiac grand prix sittin on 22" rims
  • henryval3henryval3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the perfect wheels for your car. We just purchased a 2004 GP and 4 mounted winter tires were included. The tires are Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1 Size: 215 65R16 and are like new with no visible wear! The wheels are ASA JS5 Silver.
  • seanmckeanseanmckean Member Posts: 3
    I had pitting on the outside of all 4 of my rims. I bought my GXP brand new in November and by April they were all pitting. I took them to the dealer and the GM rep had to come in to okay the warranty work. I am nervous that these rims will never last a winter. The tires did fine and this was one of Wisconsin's snowiest winters in a while, but the rims...that's another story.
  • oneadam13oneadam13 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if this has been asked before...

2007 GP owner and the rear wheels are angled in, why? Can I correct it? I noticed many others with the same problem.

My tires are wearing on the inside very quickly.

Thanks!
  • seanmckeanseanmckean Member Posts: 3
    I never noticed that on mine.
  • radarlove1974radarlove1974 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a nice set of GP Special Edition wheels 2001.
  • nscruggsnscruggs Member Posts: 1
    my car has been having this thudding noise coming from the left side tire. i got the hubberring fixed and it still sounds the same. what could it be? could it be the other side too?
  • 05grandprix05grandprix Member Posts: 8
    What type/brand of Wheel Hub Bearing assembly did you go with? What price did you pay? I need to replace a front one on my 2004 Grand Prix GT with/ABS.
  • jb32jb32 Member Posts: 5
    I also have an 06 GXP . My problem is I have gone through 4 sets of front tires the car has 40,000 on it .Problem is every one tells me that their is nothing wrong with the front end . Can any one help ?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    It might help if you described how the tires wore. Even, one sided 2 sided, irregular, etc., would all be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jb32,
    Have you spoke with GM dealers? Can you please email me including your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and contact information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,

Did you get a response?
    Not Yet
    I forgot they always wear to the out side . If I put a new tire on one side the other tire will wear even tho the tire is good at the time and if I replace that tire the other one will wear to the out side.
    I'm confused.

Apparently Christina from GM Customer Service asked jb32 to contact them - and hasn't? Why not? Why ask for help and then not take advantage of an offer for help?
    How do you want me to reply I sent an e-mail to her e-mail . I do not want to put my personal info on here for all to see . Do you have another e-mail address for her ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    No, you did it exactly right - it just wasn't clear to others that you had already emailed her. You're right to be wary of putting your personal info in a publicly-accessible forum!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well I still have not heard from GM . How long do I have to wait ?
    JB32,

The reason I asked if there had been contact made was to see what happened.

I see that Sarah from GM Cust Serv was posting replies yesterday, so I would suggest you try to make contact again.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    I can't tell you how long you'll have to wait - the Customer Service folks from GM aren't affiliated with Edmunds.com in any way. They are just regular participants like the rest of you, only they *do* have connections to GM.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews