Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord - Variable Intermittent Wipers

tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
edited March 2014 in Honda
I have a VP model which doesn't have this function. Does anyone know if it's possible and how much it'd cost to add it? It shouldn't be a big job. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It doesn't have intermittent wipers at all? Just low and high? Geez, I'd have to get a year-old LX instead of a VP if that is what my budget allowed.
  • Options
    I just looked, it says the VP does come with Intermittent wipers, just not "variable time delay."
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    That's correct. My 91 Geo Storm only had two settings-low and high, annoyed the heck out of me. At least this Accord has 3 settings.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    My 95 EX just has the intermittent but not the variable kind. I always thought that was odd... even for back then.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    My '96 LX (much the same car as your '95 EX except for trim level and a few exterior details) had variable control - a rotatable collar on the windshield wiper stalk labled, "INT TIME", adjusted the frequency of the intermittant operation. Are you certain your '95 EX doesn't have this control, too?
  • Options
    He's right, that feature debuted on Accords in 1996. In a similar oddity, my friend's old Acura 2.5 TL from 1996 didn't have this feature, whereas my old 1996 LX Accord does!
  • Options
    As thegrad says, it started the next year. I was comparing the Mazda 6 and Accord that year and finally decided on the Accord. I thought I had every detail covered but was surprised when it wasn't variable. Of course, here in western Washington we never use wipers anyway because it rarely rains. ;)
  • Options
    Haha, at least up there, it probably rains enough to put your wipers on continuous speed (lo or hi). :-)
  • Options
    Oddly enough, we don't really have the hard rains that most get. There is a lot of drizzle and variations of mist and light rain so I use the intermittent quite a bit.

Of course, there are the days of steady rain... :sick:
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    There are aftermarket intermittent switches. My brother used to have one on his old Bonneville. I would have to find out where he got his from (probably Autozone, or NAPA),
  • Options
    dmadigandmadigan Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if they can be installed now by just purchasing a Variable intermittent windshield wiper control and installing it into the existing wire harness?
This discussion has been closed.