Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Steering/Suspension

2»

Comments

• dodgeman6dodgeman6 Member Posts: 42
    Hey guys, can someone help me with my 04 GP? Just lately, when I turn a corner, I feel a chucking or bumping in the steering wheel? It doesn't do it all the time yet. What is that? Hubby says something to do with rack/pinion, or ball joints? Anyone out there ever had this happen with the steering wheel? If so,
    is it costly to fix, or what? Thanks so much. With the bad economy right now we can't afford expensive car repairs. Know what I mean?????
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Do you feel a bumping or chucking in the steering wheel??? Well it's very simple, your ISS shaft needs to be replaced..My GT has only 30k miles and the original shaft was repositioned at 13k, replaced at 25k and just replaced @30k..all under warranty.

My previous experiences with this shaft was with 3 Olds Intrigues, 98,99,and 02. GM repurchased the 98 Intrigue after 26k miles, the 99er went through 2 shafts in 75k miles, and the 02 went 120k miles with one replacement..

I paid for 1 shaft on the 02 Intrigue and it was around $260 at the Chevy dealer. The Olds dealer quoted $420, and I have no idea what my local Pontiac/Buick/GMC outlet wants..I have been assured that I will be taken care of w/o costs in the future after warranty expires..

I purchased 4 new Kankook tires from the dealer plus a remanufactured wheel, so the onus was on the dealer to deliver a shake-proof car at all speeds..Tires were road-forced balanced, and it is coming around to perfection..The price I paid for the whole deal was super cheap and if the tires wear out in 25k miles, I really don't care..

Pontiac is not a great car in this day and age, but It was a cheap buy for me with 4300 miles showing, and it's ability for brisk travel, carrying 4 adults with great a/c, leather, sunroof, and other goodies..My 09 Mustang Bullitt isn't too comfortable for 4 adults..The Pontiac was a tradein for a new Caddy STS..

Any play in your GPGT steering wheel is due to the faulty ISS..Tie rods ends and strut bushings were good on mine, no shake @120mph, outside and inside mirrors give clear images at all speeds now..

Life is simple, watch for frt bearing wear on high-mileage cars, for I did replace the RH frt assy on the 2002 Olds Intrigue around 100k.
  • dave1221dave1221 Member Posts: 3
    Completely lost all power to the Power steering system. No indications of issues, no error codes, no bad fuses, fluid level is full.

Any ideas???
  • lvyleslvyles Member Posts: 1
    HELP! My '06 Grand Prix has been making some very strange front end noises. It started in November and it was only left hand turns...now, it's ALL the time and gets louder when I accellerate. It sounds like something is rubbing. The dealership replaced the steering rod in November but it has not fixed a thing. I'm concerned that it could be the drive shaft. Any clues??
  • coachz1062coachz1062 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 06 GP with 45k miles. It feels like a popping or a clicking when turning at low speeds. I don't have any problems at higher speeds or when driving straight. Any ideas what this might be? I appreciate any help
    Sounds like it could be the power steering pump going. I have an '04 GP with 90K on it and the pump went out. Cost about $60 for the pump and $140 for the install. Good luck!
    Sounds like it could be the power steering pump going. I have an '04 GP with 90K on it and the pump went out. Cost about $60 for the pump and $140 for the install. Good luck!
  • liber1973liber1973 Member Posts: 1
    can i change just the shocks to get a stiffer ride?
  • jnice05jnice05 Member Posts: 2
    Ok every time i hit a bump in the road it feels like my car slides its hard to explain and every little bump is shaking the car and it shouldn't. My car has about 95k and it was bought used. Do u think its the rear multi link system or my front struts or the coil springs?
  • jnice05jnice05 Member Posts: 2
    Ok every time i hit a bump in the road it feels like my car slides its hard to explain and every little bump is shaking the car and it shouldn't. My car has about 95k miles and it was bought used. Do u think its time to replace the rear multi link system or my front struts or the coil springs or all?
  • kates69kates69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Prix.
    Did the noise get louder as you accelerated? I have that problem now..I was told it was wheel bearings,but they are fine..tie rod end replaced,noise still there.
    It almost sounds like a small airplane inside my engine on driver's side.I guess I should start pricing steering pumps????
This discussion has been closed.