Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Elantra First Impressions

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Can you compare the shift/clutch feel to any other cars besides the '05 Elantra, e.g. have you driven a Mazda3 or Civic stick? Did you notice how high the revs were on the freeway? How about engine noise? One thing I noticed with the Gen 3 Elantra is that the automatic was quieter and lower-revving on the highway (by about 10%) than the manual.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    The shifting on the new elantra was as good as on our 05 civic. We plan to test drive the mazda's this weekend so I will give you my opinion then. We used to own a 1991, bought new, Mazda MX-6 GT with manual. When we sold it, it had almost 250,000 miles on it, with the original clutch,engine, turbo. It was great for racing other cars on the highway even with all the miles it had. We used nothing put regular gas even tho it called for premium. No problems.
    As good as a '05 Civic? That is very good to hear--the Civic has one of the best stick shifts in the class, if not the best (the Mazda3's is pretty darn good also IMO).
    we test drove the mazda 3 today. I thought the shifting was a bit too stiff. I guess once you get used to it, it would be o.k. The civic seems to be the best but the new elantra can now compete with it. We also test drove the mazdaspeed 6. That was excellant but the price tag was not.
    What did you think of the ride and handling of the Mazda3 vs. the new Elantra? From reviews I'm expecting the Mazda3 will have a big advantage in handling, with the Elantra the smoother ride.

I'll bet the Mazdaspeed6 was a mite quicker/faster than the Elantra. ;)
    I agree totally with the reviews on the Mazda's 3 handling and the elantras smoother ride. The dealer for the mazda wanted $500 over invoice. Never would I pay that.You are right with the mite.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You would not pay $500 over invoice? :surprise: :sick:

Why not? Dealers and salespeople need to make enough money to eat!
    we have never paid anything over invoice and we have bought numerous new cars. I sure we have done our part to feed the dealers and salespeople along with the service and finance departments.
    I meant to say $500 over the sticker price that is on the car
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    So you are saying that the dealer wanted you to pay for a 2006 or 7 Mazda 3 $500 over sticker price?
    The sticker price on the car also had an additional dealer added on things which jacked up the price plus the additional $500.00. They did not want to discount anything? It was on a 06 Mazda 3.
  • elantralimitedelantralimited Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the limited trim line will come out? I am in Ohio and one dealership was suprised they did not have one, another expected one soon. I called Hyundai USA direct and they did not even seem to know!
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    There's plenty of them here in Mass. The one dealership a few miles from my house (Bill Dube Hyundai in Wilmington) has about 20 Limiteds in stock according to their online inventory (which they update regularly).
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    Where did you notice the picture of the manual shifter? I cannot find it on Hyundai's website. Thanks!
    I think it's when you go into the Elantra site and look at the Gallery (interior).
    Not anymore - I guess they changed the site. I only see AT pictured, which looks very nice.

Thanks for the help, anyway!
    OK, I went back to check and the photo is on the site but not from the Gallery page, it's from the Elantra > Overview > Performance page. This should get you there:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/elantra/performance/performance.aspx

Then from there click on the little "Transmission" picture.
    Contrary to what my local dealer told me, they now have about a dozen 2007 Elantras on the ground--all GLSes and SEs, all automatics. A couple of weeks ago they told me they wouldn't be getting any more Elantras in for six weeks. :mad: From now on, I'm going to tell them to keep their comments about when cars are due in to themselves, because they are never right.

Based on these samples, I still can't take the small wheels and cheap-looking wheel covers on the GLS. My favorite in the bunch was a Seattle Blue SE with grey interior. (There were no black interiors in the group, just grey and beige.)

Based on the number of cars on the lot, I predict it won't be too long before we start seeing a rebate to the general public on the car.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    I went down to my local dealer to get a brochure and do a test drive. They had about 4 GLS's. No Limited or SE at all. I got to test drive a Silver GLS auto with the preferred package.

Overall impression of driving the car is it isn't a big or noticable improvement over the 01-06 Elantra. I was really expecting there to be a bigger improvement in road and engine noise isolation. When I first turned the key over to start the engine it sounded exactly like my Elantra (it should sinces its a Beta II also) and not much quieter at startup. I had thought that Hyundai had put more effort on engine noise intrusion into the cabin. After the engine warmed up to normal operating temperature the decibels at idle seemed very equivalent to my 05 GT.

I was able to drive the Elantra on a 6 mile road with a few turns and mostly in good condition with a few bumps and small pot holes. Road noise was a little better than the GT and equivalent to my 05 Spectra up until around 60 mph. After that it seemed to get a little more road noise intrusion than the Kia but similar to the GT. I was suprised at this since the Kia has 195-60-R15 (same as GT) tires compared to 195-65-R15 of the 07 Elantra. Width wise the tires are the same but the profile of the 07 Elantra tires is higher so I would think there would be less rolling resitance and as a result less road noise. Tires could be the real difference between the Kia, GT and 07 Elantra and maybe why there is a difference of road noise. It could also be suspension tuning.

The ride was a little more firm and sporting that I expected. It did ride nice and was better in the corners than Spectra and as good as my GT. Its seems that the SE, if it has a more sport tuned suspension, would have better lateral grip than the GT and would be a better cornering car (ie. less body roll and more compliant ride). The chassis seems very taught and absorbed the vibrations better than both the Kia and GT. There were absolutely no rattles and such - though I wouldn't expect any at only 13 miles on the ODO.

The best part of driving the new Elantra was really in the cockpit. This is definitely an improvement over the last gen Elantra. The seats were comfortable (but I am not really all that picky here). All controls are in the right place and easy to reach. Most common used controls doesn't require you to move your eyes off the road such as the radio controls. Controls had a nice touch to them and they operated very smoothly. The sound quality of the radio is a big improvement over the GT (note mine doesn't have the Kenwood unit). The textures and materials were of high quality. Only complaint was the hardness of the doors plastics compared to the dash. The blue lighting of the gauges and the controls was nice, since everything is now monochrome, if not a little bland. Visibility was great.

All in all a small improvement in ride and noise isolation over the last gen Elantra with a great interior.
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    the EPA fuel economy is also much better. 28/36 for 2007 vs 24/32 for 2006 models.
    Road noise is due to the tires and how the car is insulated, vs. suspension--unless you heard clunks from the suspension ala some Sonatas.

The suspension of all 2007 Elantras in the U.S. is supposed to be the same, but bigger wheels/tires on the SE and Limited which may improve handling over the GLS.
    Road noise is due to the tires and how the car is insulated, vs. suspension--unless you heard clunks from the suspension ala some Sonatas.

Thats exactly what I said (ie. insulation and tires contributed to the road noise quite a bit). I did forget to mention engine noise/growl. Suspension tuning can play into road noise because if the springs/shocks aren't tuned to the proper profile of the tire this can contribute to elevated roas noise.

The suspension of all 2007 Elantras in the U.S. is supposed to be the same, but bigger wheels/tires on the SE and Limited which may improve handling over the GLS.

Its not the wheel/tire size (ie. diameter) that will contribute to the improved handling. Its the profile (less sidewall) and the width of the tire. GLS has 195mm (195-65-15) vs 205mm (205-55-16) of the SE/Limited. This means the tire will have more contact area with the pavement. GLS has a 65% profile ratio vs a 55% profile ratio for the SE/Limited which means the SE/Limited will have less side wall from rim to ground. Thus, less curling of the tire when turning hard corners. Wider width and lower profile also means likely more road noise over GLS
    Yep, that's exactly what I said--bigger tires can improve the handling. Thanks for elaborating on my point though!
  • george41george41 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone!

First, let me mention that I'm the proud owner of an 03 5-speed GLS sedan (my second Elantra). Apart from a couple of minor warranty issues, it's been 64K miles of happy motoring. Currently, I'm facing something of a dilemma: casting about for a replacement (preferably another Elantra) or squeezing every last mile from what I've got.

Like many of you, I eagerly anticipated the arrival of the HD this year. Now that it's here, I can't say it's been worth the wait. From a stylistic standpoint, the redesign is a bit too bulbous and unimaginative, IMO. The dealership nearest me (I'm in Denver) has the 06s and 07s side by side on their lot and the outgoing model just seems to have the cleaner, more appealing lines.

I took a quick spin in an 07 GLS base model (no radio or AC) yesterday. While I did like the pep, handling, and interior layout, I can't rave about what a marked improvement it is. I don't wish to minimize the effort Hyundai has put in to bolster the safety features of the vehicle (they are significant), I'm just bemoaning the loss of an old friend...

Maybe if they bring back the hatch I'll be inclined to take a second look (if the looks of the car warrant it). Otherwise, I might have to consider a Sonata or (gasp!)the new Sentra or Civic.

Anyone else feel the same way?
    There are a lot of the current XD and XD2 owners out there that have similar setiments as you do about moving into the 07 Elantra. Some in fact have outright said they would skip this new generation altogether. From my ride in the GLS it isn't a big improvement in ride and noise isolation I was hoping for; and the additional features it has over current Elantra doesn't seem to justify the more than 3K in price increase also. If they come out with a navigation unit that would be a big plus for me.
    Considering like equipment, the 2007 Elantra is only a few hundred dollars more than the 2006. Example:

2006 GLS AT with ABS (also includes moonroof and traction control): about $16,300

2007 GLS AT with Preferred Package (no moonroof or traction control, but includes standard ABS, XM radio, aux input, side curtains, fog lamps, rear seat armrest, etc.): about $16,500

Nowhere near a $3000 price increase.
    Considering like equipment, the 2007 Elantra is only a few hundred dollars more than the 2006. Example:

2006 GLS AT with ABS (also includes moonroof and traction control): about $16,300

2007 GLS AT with Preferred Package (no moonroof or traction control, but includes standard ABS, XM radio, aux input, side curtains, fog lamps, rear seat armrest, etc.): about $16,500

Nowhere near a $3000 price increase.

Yes, but let's consider like equipment. You cited an 06 w/moonroof and traction control. 07 does not offer traction control at all and the moonroof package is an extra $1300. The substitutions you mention do not add up to the same value as the moonroof and traction control. Let's go through them.

ABS - both cars have it figured into price, so no comparison is warranted here

traction control = value of XM radio, aux input, side curtains, fog lamps, rear seat armrest

I'm not sure what "etc." includes, but I'll guess it's not worth the $1300 moonroof, so I we're still short about $1300 for an "apples to apples" comparison.

In the end, it comes to this:

I agree with backy that the price difference is nowhere near $3K. However, the difference is also nowhere near the $200 mentioned here. I'd estimate the actual difference in price to be somewhere around $1500 when it's all said and done, which is not unreasonable.

I personally think the change in appearance (especially inside) is worth the extra money.
    OK, let's toss the moonroof into the equation and use actual figures:

2006 Elantra GLS AT with Package 02/AB (moonroof, ABS, and traction control): $16,715 including destination

2007 Elantra GLS AT with Preferred Package 04 (includes A/C, stereo, and moonroof): $17,395

So the 2007 GLS AT with moonroof and ABS is $680 more than the 2006 GLS AT with moonroof and ABS. The 2006 has traction control. The 2007 has the following equipment not on the 2006:

* side curtain airbags
    * 172-watt stereo with equalizer and aux input jack
    * lighted vanity mirrors
    * rear center armrest
    * fog lamps
    * active front head restraints
    * 3 rear head restraints
    * Remote locking with trunk opener

And of course higher fuel economy and more interior room, and IMO a much nicer interior (e.g. you had to pay extra for blue lighting in 2006, on the GT). I think that's a pretty good deal for the extra money.

Right now, the 2006 Elantra has an advantage of a $1000 rebate (only a $500 net advantage if you are a Hyundai owner however). So there is a significant price difference until the 2006s are gone, or until more rebates come out on the 2007s.
    Why don't you try the following (this is what I was comparing):

06 Elantra Limited: Auto, Package 2 (moonroof, ABS, traction control), mud guards, floor mats - MSRP 17825

07 Elantra Limited: Auto, Package 6 (moonroof, upgraded stereo), mud guards, floor mats - MSRP 19755

2007 has over 2006 is the following:
    * side curtain airbags
    * upgraded 220?-watt stereo with equalizer and aux input jack
    * lighted vanity mirrors
    * rear center armrest
    * active front head restraints
    * 3 rear head restraints
    * Remote locking with trunk opener
    * 16" alloys

2006 Limited has traction control which 2007 does not have it.

There is a $2000 difference not including the 1K in rebates offered on the 2006 Elantra

If you compare to 2006 Elantra GT then the price difference is about $1500.

I still don't think the upgrades (including better interior design) plus the marginally better ride constitutes a price increase of that much
    Well, you are forgetting a few features the 2007 Limited has that the 2006 does not, such as heated seats, trip computer, telescopic wheel with on-wheel audio and cruise controls, and fog lamps. Also the fact that the optional stereo is actually a CD changer with MP3 and (soon) XM radio. But let's look at the added features with approximate values:

* side curtain airbags - in the words of the credit card commercial, "priceless", but let's say about $250 based on what some other automakers such as Toyota charge for side bags and curtains.
    * upgraded stereo w/CD changer, MP3 etc. - $400?
    * interior upgrades such as lighted vanity mirrors, rear center armrest, blue guages - $100?
    * active front headrests and 3 rear headrests - again kind of "priceless" as they are safety-related, but how about $100?
    * remote trunk opener - $50?
    * 16" wheels/tires with 5-spoke alloys - $500?
    * heated seats - $100?
    * trip computer - $100?
    * telescopic wheel with on-wheel controls - $100?
    * fog lamps - $250 (based on what some other makes charge)

Total: $1950

Plus the added value of larger/nicer interior, better ride, and better fuel economy.

Also... what other new car can you buy that has the room and features of the 2007 Elantra Limited but for less money? The Civic EX AT for instance is $20,105 and doesn't have a leather interior as does the Elantra Limited--or anywhere near the interior room for that matter. In fact, the Civic EX is closer to the Elantra SE with moonroof, which runs only $18,445.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    For me this is all moot until the 2007.5 Hatch version comes in.

*Then* I can start suffering some buyers remorse and new model envy. On the other hand, the one thing I'm really missing non-body design-wise that's on the new Elantra is a stereo with an aux (or ipod) input - and that can be had for as low as about $150 installed.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    For me this is all moot until the 2007.5 Hatch version comes in.

Is there a hatch slated for this series? I've not heard either way on that particular issue.

I love the just-discontinued hatch: it was pretty cool.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    Not official, but it's widely believed to be in the works.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    There is a good chance the hatch will be a separate model instead of a variant of the Elantra.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Hope it is a 5 door hatch.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Your wish should come true ;)
  • observant1observant1 Member Posts: 2
    I ended up buying one and am very disappointed. First let me say that I was a very satisfied owner of a 2003 Elantra and wish I had it back. First day I took the 2007 home the glove box has a rattle and the tabs that stick out and lock in place have play and are noisy and that may be it, might be a design flaw. The drivers seat started making creaking sounds when braking or going over bumps very loudly or when moving in the seat. When you start the car up after sitting for hours you get a noise that sounds like a tractor or one of those little foreign trucks that have diesel engines in them. Don!t know if it could be some kind of exhaust leak but it does not sound like a normal exhaust leak. The heater fan has 2 holes down below and even on the higher speeds on floor only it does not come out fast and does not seem to enter the cabin well, it seems like a terrible design. Also some air comes out of the defroster when it is on floor only. When you come to a stop it feels like the steering releases and is not connected to anything it is really weird. I don!t care for the steering on the highway and it is a very bumpy ride, it seems to ride bumpy even on roads that do not seem bumpy. My 2003 Elantra was peppier and did not have any rattles or noises when I got rid of it with 94,000 miles on it. Don!t care for the high idle on this car either I go down the street and stop at the stop light and the idle will be on 1 on the tack and then suddenly jump up. The seat material has ripples. I bought the car at night and have since been back and looked at other cars at the dealer and they have ripples in them too. I have only had someone in the passenger seat a few times and the side of the top of the seat cushion is rippled and wrinkled looking already differently than the rest of the seatwrinkles. If you reach down and touch the front side under the bottom of the seat you can flex it back and forth and you also sometimes get a rocking action in the seat when you brake and release. These seats are really, really, really, really cheap. On the positive side the cabin is roomier and I like the way you can see out very nicely. I am not trying to be a jerk here just giving my honest observations concerning this car and to tell you if I had to do it over again I would not. I am going to go to the dealer and see if I can get these things fixed and if not I will have to try to find a way to go out and buy another car as I used what I could afford for a downpayment on this and would not have any for another car. Hyundai advertises like they are up there with the competition but I think that this car says differently in many ways. I was surprised as I expected better after owning a previous Elantra. I should have bought the Mazda 3. I would never again buy a newly designed model the first year out and don!t see myself buying another Hyundai. Also it has ABS breaks and when I had to break suddenly on a wet road the other day I skidded immediately and I did not think that happened with ABS breaks. I think Hyundai dropped the ball on this one. Another thing is that Hyundai dealers are adding a market adjustment to the price and I have see anywhere from $1700.00 to $4444.00 added to the price which makes the price higher than reasonable for these cars.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Hahahaha! Market adjustment on an Elantra? Hahahaha!
    It is a wise shopper who rents a car same model as he is shopping for. Or ask the dealership for a 24 hour test drive. Some might do it.
  • geoelectricgeoelectric Member Posts: 10
    Yeah, definitely don't pay a markup! You can get them for under invoice without an issue, especially if you're buying off the lot.

I just brought my SE home today, so I haven't had time to let it "settle in" (though it has 200 miles because I had to get a special combo driven from upstate). However, I can tell you that I'm not hearing any rattles from the interior, and my idle is steady at ~600RPM. I've read several reviews that noted the very low idle. If you're idling at 1K or above with the car warmed up, I'd say you need to see your service department.
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    When you start the car up after sitting for hours you get a noise that sounds like a tractor or one of those little foreign trucks that have diesel engines in them.

Every Hyundai i've owned or driven in has this "feature." The dealership will tell you its part of the "design." Trust me, i've asked many a time.

And please don't tell me you paid more for your Hyundai than a Mazda3 or Civic w/ this "market adjustment." If so, can you still get your money back?
  • observant1observant1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 did not have that noise at startup after sitting for hours. No I did not pay more for the Elantra than a Mazda 3 or Civic. I could get S plan pricing on the Mazda which is what the dealer pays for it but the Elantra was still cheaper. No, I did not pay market adjustment. I have done a lot of research on buying cars and am quite good at it. I have actually had people come to me to go with them to buy a car. The salesman asked me to send him some business but asked that I not tell them what I paid because he deserves to make a profit. I could have gotten a Mazda 6 for a hundred something more than a Mazda 3 with almost all the available goodies, they are always discounted at the end of the year.

Do you people change your own oil? I did with my 2003 but I feel it leaves you open for trouble if you have to make a claim because even if you record dates, oil used and use a factory filter they could always claim you are not a certified mechanic and could have done something wrong.

I notice that dealerships are now using oil treatments, people from the lubrication industry usually discourage you from them and even owners manuals used to tell you not to. I have not checked this one yet. I emailed Hyundai asking them about it and have never received a response.

Hyunda is recommending Quaker State, maybe because they offer some warranty for 10 year/250,000 miles even if you change your own oil.
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    I doubt many dealers will let you have a 24hr test drive. The idea of a rental sounds good IF you can find the car you want to purchase at the rental agency. Not all makes and models will be available. Who rents Honda Civics 5speeds and Mazda3 5 speeds 07 models??? ;)
    Dunno.
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    if your seat is already ripped, it should still be under warranty. just see if these things can be fixed (such as the rattles and things).
    the hyundai dealer in wilmington nc advertises 24 hour test drives. My brother, who lives in Pa, is in the process of buying a new car- so far he has been able to take a volvo and a lexus on 24 hour test drives.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Hyundai has a complete chapter in the 2006 Elantra Owner's Manual on Self-Performed maintenance, so as long as you fully document your service work, for example on the Hyundai website, you won't have a problem with Hyundai. Do you really think dealers use certified Master Mechanics to change oil? Nope, this is quite often done by part time high-school employees.

I would wager someone changing oil himself/herself does a better job than the dealer. Was the sump overfilled? Was the oil drain plug torqued to the correct torque spec? Next time you have anyone change oil - other than yourself - check the two aforementioned items. I think you will be surprised.
    They do exist!

I also took 2 brand new cars for 24 hour test drives, a Mercedes and a top of the line Toyota. Volvo also offered, but I bought another before needing 24 hours in the Volvo. All I did was ask. No dealer turned me down.
    -Joe
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    or knock a car I only sat in and didn't drive.

I was a very happy 01 Elantra owner but am put off by the small wheels and Buick breeds with a 95 Taurus look of the new car.

I bought an 07 Optima for my wife. $16.1 with leather. Larger and newer four cylinder engine, 17 inch 50 series tires and the same (but stretched) platform as the Elantra. And to my eyes, at least a much better looking car, inside and (especially) outside.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "Hyundai has a complete chapter in the 2006 Elantra Owner's Manual on Self-Performed maintenance, so as long as you fully document your service work, for example on the Hyundai website, you won't have a problem with Hyundai." ((

Add to that to keep the receipts for oil and filters as proof of purchase.
This discussion has been closed.