Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Traction Control/STS/ABS

Comments

• csciutocsciuto Member Posts: 3
    Could you send me the link to that? I took mine to the dealer that last replaced my driver front hub and they confirmed it was speed sensor issues. They wanted $125 to diagnose which one and then who knows how much to replace. I told them to not do anything further. I need to replace the front pads so I guess I'll do what you do, if it works. Please keep us posted!
  • gjw467gjw467 Member Posts: 5
    I can't believe that GM can not do anything about this problem, this is a defective part if water is causing the problem with it. What happens next winter are we all going to have to replace these parts again because of wet roads. The parts should be protected from weather. Mariah what is GM going to do about this problem. Pontiac owners are paying alot of money and taking alot of time fixing this problem. Mine happen at just over 50,000 should I expect it again. I only want to buy American cars but if they cannot be supported by GM I don't think my family and I will have any options but to change that. I sent you an email requesting information on this problem. Please let us know what GM intends to do about this.
    Thank You,
    They charge over $300 to replace the sensors.
  • mikeodomikeodo Member Posts: 4
    I THOUGHT I HAD A EASY FIX (MESSAGE # 5?, I HAD TO REPLACE THE HUB AND WHEEL BEARING ON THE FRONT LEFT. YOU CAN HEAR THE BEARINGS IF YOU MAKE A SHARP TURN. THE SPEED SENSOR PICKS UP A SLOWER SPEED THAN THE OTHER WHEELS AND PRESTO ON GOES YOUR LIGHT. IT COST ABOUT $400.00 DOLLARS TO REPAIR AT A LOCAL GARAGE IN PEORIA ARIZONA. MY LIGHT WOULD GO ON SOMETIMES AND SOMETIMES NOT. THIS IS BECAUSE THE WHEEL BEARING MOST OF THE TIME WAS RUNNING FREE. WHEN IT STARTED TO BIND THE LIGHT WOULD GO ON. I ALSO HAD THE BRAKES FEEL LIKE THEY WERE GRABBING WHEN I TRIED TO STOP THE CAR DRIVING VERY SLOW. I KNOW ALOT OF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT A FIX THAT COST THAT MUCH, BUT THATS' JUST LIFE.
  • mikeodomikeodo Member Posts: 4
    I JUST WANTED TO SAY THE SPEED SENSOR DID IT'S JOB BY TURNING ON THE LIGHT. IF THE LIGHT DID NOT GO ON I MIGHT HAVE DROVE THE CAR UNTIL THE BEARING COMPLETELY LOCKED UP AND OR THE WHEEL COME COMPLETELY OFF. MY CAR HAS 107,000 MILES ON IT. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE LOW MILEAGE THE WHEEL BEARING MAY NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM. I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU OUT THERE. IT DOESN'T HURT TO ASK GOD FOR A LITTLE HELP ALSO.

GOOD LUCK
    P.S. I WILL BE CHECKING THE FORUM FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND HOPEFUL SOLUTIONS TO THESE PROBLEMS.
  • aboykinaboykin Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 04 grand prix that a/c heater blower won't turn off can someone help with this? I'm not sure if it's the blower motor or ignition switch i already replaced the resistor. From what i been reading.
  • lancerecruitlancerecruit Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I bought this 2001 GT with 60 miles on it in 2002. I had/have this same problem (my ABS light was on, Trac light was saying "Trac Off", and the red Brake warning light on the dash was on!) Firestone ran a diagnostic test and the code said Front Right Sensor was bad. I have replaced both front hubs, both outer tie-rod ends, both rotors and the brakes. I also made sure that the brake fluid was full (adding the fluid turned off the "Brake" warning light that was on the dash).

I contacted GM customer service as I am SICK of spending money on this problem!!! Their answer was, "SORRY, THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS RPOBLEM FOR ANY OF THESE CARS, BUT, WE WILL HELP YOU SET UP A TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE IT INTO A DEALER AND HAVE DIAGNOSTICS RUN WHICH WILL COST YOU $105.00!) They would not even pay to have the diagnostic test run. So, do not rely on GM Customer Service to help you and they WILL NOT pay for anything as they said there are no recalls for this reoccurring problem!

PS, my ABS light is STILL ON! I will never buy another GM product.
    edited October 2010
    I bought this 2001 GT with 60 miles on it in 2002. I had/have this same problem (my ABS light was on, Trac light was saying "Trac Off", and the red Brake warning light on the dash was on!) Firestone ran a diagnostic test and the code said Front Right Sensor was bad. I have replaced both front hubs, both outer tie-rod ends, both rotors and the brakes. I also made sure that the brake fluid was full (adding the fluid turned off the "Brake" warning light that was on the dash).

I contacted GM customer service as I am SICK of spending money on this problem!!! Their answer was, "SORRY, THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS RPOBLEM FOR ANY OF THESE CARS, BUT, WE WILL HELP YOU SET UP A TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE IT INTO A DEALER AND HAVE DIAGNOSTICS RUN WHICH WILL COST YOU $105.00!) They would not even pay to have the diagnostic test run. So, do not rely on GM Customer Service to help you and they WILL NOT pay for anything as they said there are no recalls for this reoccurring problem!

PS, my ABS light is STILL ON! I will never buy another GM product.
  • ecugirl81ecugirl81 Member Posts: 9
    I have been having this issue in driver front side since Feb. 2010. I've had the ABS sensor and bearing in this wheel replaced twice; also all 4 wheels' brake pads, rotors and caliphers replaced; parking brake replaced. My mechanic (not dealer) is master mechanic and has 3 other mechanics in a forum working on this - no luck yet. Also there was an issue with wiring for the AC compressor which run beside/near the sensor - it was worn and mechanic thought it was arcing over and making sensor go off. I get lights daily, plus the grinding/grabbing of the brakes. Does anyone think this might be computer malfunction, i.e. sending false signal to ABS system? My mechanic is going to try to find used one to see if it helps. Any suggestions by anyone would be so appreciated. About to drive it off a cliff and I live in North TX - no cliffs nearby! thanks! :sick:
    HEY EVERYONE! I posted this above (#60)..."2001 GT with 60 miles on it in 2002. I had/have this same problem (my ABS light was on, Trac light was saying "Trac Off", and the red Brake warning light on the dash was on!) Firestone ran a diagnostic test and the code said Front Right Sensor was bad. I have replaced both front hubs, both outer tie-rod ends, both rotors and the brakes. I also made sure that the brake fluid was full (adding the fluid turned off the "Brake" warning light that was on the dash)."

After doing all that, my friend and I bought a new right front sensor wire harness on Amazon for $29.00! We changed out the harness last night (took about 45 minutes) and the light is off! After inspecting the old harness once we removed it, we found that the wires had cracked or broke apart about 4 inches from the sensor connector that connects to the hub sensor. After replacing this harness, the light immediately went off and has stayed off. Take off the wheel, unhook the sensor connection, follow the wire harness to the chassiss just under the radiator. You will see where it splices into the main harness. Cut the old one out and splice the new one in! That simple! You can email me at lancerecruit2002@yahoo.com if you have any questions.
    Oh.....when you buy the harness, it will come with two crimp style wire connectors to splice the wiring together. Don't bother using them as they are a pain in the butt to get on! We used the "cap style twist on" wire connectors used for electrical connections and then wrapped the connection in electrical tape.
  • ranki1ranki1 Member Posts: 3
    I also fixed mine. The front right hub was replaced and the light soon came back on. The sensor was then replaced and fixed the problem. I would not depend on electrical tape however because any moisture getting in will cause the problem again. At least use butt connectors and liquid tape to completely seal the wire joints.
    so glad to hear yours got fixed. Unfortunately I have done all of what you did and more and still no resolution: ABS hub/sensor/pump, plus wire harness and bearings in left wheel have been replaced twice and issue is not fixed. I'm selling the car as fast as I can, if that's possible.
  • rclarke666rclarke666 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 gran prix gt. TC/ABS light comes on. Took it to dealer, they changed the wheel bearing(front left only). 24 hours later lights on again. Back to dealer. This time they said it was frayed wire in the control unit, they spliced the wire, no problem since. Have your repair crew check if this is you problem. Over 6 mths still no problems. Good luck to all.
    ps anyone have a problem with movement in steering, maybe worn. Just had it greased, problem remains. 10/10/10.
  • dionmillerdionmiller Member Posts: 1
    Today, our 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix had the traction control service message come on along with the ABS service message come on when on ice and braking or accelerating. We recently had the wheel bearings replaced on the front end. I was wondering if this could be the cause or maybe ice build up in the wheels or could it be something else?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dionmiller ,
    I would recommend taking your vehicle into your dealer of choice to have it checked out. Please keep me updated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • aschoenaschoen Member Posts: 10
    I've been reading through several posts. I have an 05 grand prix gt with several problems but my braking concerns me the most. Just as several of you, my ABS and Traction System service lights have been coming on but more severely, when I'm turning slowly or turning into or out of parking spaces and hit the brakes, there's a grinding, grabbing sound like ABS brakes reacting to ice or snow. Some times the car keeps moving slightly while trying to break. A mechanic told me could be the ABS pump module; said he has seen a lot of computer problems with grand prixs. Help! Besides this my car turns off when I start it. The car will start up but after the initial rise in rpms they drop down and car shuts off. If i give it gas it will stay running. It never shuts off while in use, just at start up. Have done transmision flushes, fuel system cleaning, new plugs n wires. Not getting anywhere and mechanice spoke to today said maybe the Powertrain control module......I need help! It's an 05 with 124k miles Not sure if is worth fixing or better to trade it in....any pointers?
    Sounds like a common problem we have all had with our Grand Prixs and GM states its not a recall problem. When your brakes won't stop you and so many owners are having the same problem I think it needs to be looked into by GM. Have your mechanic check the wire harness also, seems its not protected very well from the weather.
    I'm seeing here on the forum that people have had to have this work done a couple of times on their cars. I just have a problem accepting that its not a recall issue with these parts.
    Any comments on this, maybe Christine from GM can help us out here.
    The wire harness was bad on my car along with everything else you did to yours and that took care of the lights seems its not protected from the weather.
    Well thanks for the input. I have a mechanic that is going to test my speed sensors to make sure it's not that. Also told him bout the harness and hub and how many problems I saw posts about. Just strange cuz my abs and traction service lights only come on when the problem is happening. After turn car off and restart the lights go out....and no other codes showing up. Is why mechanic thought it might be more of computer prob in the car. Between that and the mystery of why my car shuts off has got a few people stumped....and yeah, I agree. If this many people having problems with the same thing it's obvious its not a coincidence. GM should step up and try to resolve this issue!
  • schuchartschuchart Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I am happy to find this blog because I was about to go crazy with my '03 Pontiac which has otherwise been an excellent car. Last year I began having the problems described by others in this forum, where the ABS and traction lights would come on and then I was getting a shuddering, grinding, engagement of the ABS at least once a day when I was braking (usually at slow speed) and then again when I was braking while turning at slow speeds. So I took the car in to a mechanic (not the dealer) about 9 months ago and they replaced a sensor. For 2 weeks the idiot lights were off and it looked like that had fixed it. But then the lights came on again and the exact same issue started happening. So I took it back to the mechanic and they said they had installed a faulty sensor the first time. Well, that did seem to work for a few months this time, and now within the past week the same issue has started again. Has anyone seen this problem worsen over time? Or does it just continue to be the same random ABS kicking in when it's not supposed to? I'm debating whether or not to keep paying for "fixes." This doesn't happen every single day. Some days the ABS lights are off and the car operates properly. But at least 3-4 times per week I am experiencing this.
    Welcome to the club! I've had this issue for about a year and have posted my problem and thoughts about this issue on this forum several times a while back. After multiple sensor changes, new bearings (twice), new wiring harness etc. my mechanic has determined this is not an ABS sensor problem, but a fault in the ABS computer control module. After discussing this with others who have Grand Prixs and one friend with a Corvette, all who've had this issue. we've realized GM is not going to do anything, so its either bite the bullet and replace the ABS computer control module (about $800), or get rid of the car. Only good thing is I've discovered that I don't have the issue when the temperature outside is below 30 degrees. Unfortunately I live in Texas where below 30 doesn't happen very often or for very long! My mechanic says the cold effects the computer and prevents it from sending the faulty signal to the ABS system. I've decided not to put another $800 in this car, but sell it. I'd advise others to do the same. Its a shame really, because this is a beautiful car that I love. Lesson learned? Don't buy GM :lemon: I'm going back to Honda!
    edited October 2009
    So glad that you posted this! Mine has the exact same probs except taht my abs and traction lights only come on when prob is happening. When i turn car off and restart lights are gone again till next time prob happens. But mine has continually gotten worse. Ive been speaking with a mechanic who's first inclination was the pump module....he gonna test speed sensors first to rule out cheaper fixes but by all the things you and others have said, I'm thinkng that the sensors aren't gonna help...plus no codes for sensors come up. I'm just afraid taht gonna pay to have pump module changed and then still gonna have the problem. Let me know if you end of keeping the car and changing the module. I'm hoping that's the fix! You can get them used too at much cheaper price!
  • idgie2idgie2 Member Posts: 1
    This has started happening on my 07 Grand Prix. I need to take it into to get checked (luckily have dealer warranty) but it sounds like all of you still drive your cars around while this is occurring? I just want to make sure as my dealer probably can't get to my car until next Monday.
    It's definately not safe to...especially if is happening more often. i don't have to drive mine far and when I do I still drive slower and give car more time to brake just in case it does it. It's happening on my car mostly when turning the wheel and going slowly. Either way...can't be too safe...hey, let us know what they end up doing to your car at the dealer and if fixes the problem.
  • dmccvcdmccvc Member Posts: 1
    not sure about traction control i have a 2004 pontiac grand prix with 55000 on it had the same problem with stalling when you first start it up i fixed it myself its the throttle body near the air cleaner just take it off and clean it. if you need help doing this just go to youtube it will show you a video how to take it apart.
    The throttle body huh? Yeah I had a fuel systems cleaning done about a year ago and one of the techs mentioned it but I guess they didn't think it was the problem. I'll take ur advice and check out the you tube on how to clean it....its worth a shot! Its free! Just a question tho....when you started urs up and it died out, would ur rpms drop down after the immediate rise when you started it....even when it stayed on? The last mechanic I spoke to about it said that it's odd for the rpms to drop like that. Also, the times my car does stay started I could here a bit of a clunking sound like you can hear the car trying to stay running....u ever have that happen? All is know is the mechanic is trying to tell me he thinks it's the powertrain module...which is another 300 or so dollars!
  • mishken84mishken84 Member Posts: 2
    i dont know if you fixed the problem or not but let me know anyways.
    i have a solution for you that others have pointed out and that works...i had the same problem. the butterfly valve in the throttle body gets dirty and sticks.
    this causes the starting problem. all you need to do is take off the hose going from the air filter to the throttle body and look inside the throttle body you will see the butterfly valve right there. all you need to do then is spray some carb/throttle body cleaner right on the butterfly valve and the walls around it and then wipe it off with a rag. this will fix your problem i promise. the ABS/ Traction problem i just started experiencing so i am lost with that and need help also
    well you are the 2nd person to mention the throttle body...ima have to work on that this weekend. As far as the ABS problem....its a nightmare!!!! I had my mechanic test the speed sensors and just as everyone has said one of mine was bad. He changed the sensor and it made the abs light go off but still having the same grinding, abs sound. The abs light actually came back on when i was driving my car home from the shop. So...i would suggest trying another fix first bcuz it did nothing for me...and i'm out $325!!! The mechanic thought to begin with (b4 even changing speed sensors) that my prob is the computer pump module, especially bcuz there were no speed sensor codes coming up when he ran my car for diagnostics. Needless to say, I'm still having the same problem and it has actually gotten worse. He is trying to find a used computer pump module now. I'll keep ya posted on how it is going. I just cant believe (well actually i can) that GM doesn't wanna claim some kind of responsibility. Bcuz there's no way that it's a coincidence that all these grand prixs are having the same problems!
  • anubis2385anubis2385 Member Posts: 1
    This is actually a speed sensor malfunction. I had the some thing go on in my 04 grand prix. Turned out to be an unplugged speed sensor in one of my rear wheels. Check to see if all four of your sensors are plugged in. If they are then one of them is broken.
    My mechanic individually tested each speed sensor. My rear passenger side one ended up being one that did not work. Like I said, it has been replaced but the problem is still occurring. Like many others on this forum, changing the speed sensors hasn't worked in many cases. With all that has already been looked into, the ABS Computer Pump module is ultimately all that it could be. The speed sensor that was broken did bring up a code in the diagnostic scan and is why my mechanic thinks it's most likely the pump module. He said that b4 we even changed the speed sensor but thought we should start with the least expensive alternative first. I can't wait till this problem is gone!!!
  • alapierrealapierre Member Posts: 1
    I am also have the same problem with my 06 grand prix, with the stalling and the ABS.

The stalling only happens when i use command start, and my ABS doesnt come up on the dash behind the steering wheel, it come up on the communication panel, the one above the stereo, not sure if every grand prix has that, and when it comes up there it doesnt stay on long. when it comes up it just states " service abs system"

Im bringing my car to the GM dealer ship as i put extended warrenty on the car and these to problems excisted before, i guess i will see what they say... :lemon: LOL
    alapierre,
    How did things go at the dealer? Has your issue been addressed?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Yeah so I've been having the same problems as alapierre......probably for longer. I was just wondering, Michelle from GM Customer Service, why is it that of all the people having the same problems with their grand prix's, that you are just now, and only, asking this person if their issue is resolved? I have spent over $1300 trying to fix the stalling and abs problems and my issues are still not resolved. I'm not trying to sound rude I'm just frustrated with the fact that my car is STILL not fixed . Even worse, the lack of responsiblity GM claims for these issues. If you will read through these forums you would see that nearly every single grand prix owner is having these same two problems; many of us spending A LOT of money to fix them with no resolve. Obviously I'm frustrated. Im just bothered that after the many posts I've made, I have never once been replied to by GM to ask how things are going. The only difference between the last person and myself is that they said they would be taking their car to the dealer. I'm guessing its safe to say on behAlf of everyone....why isn't GM doing something about this?
  • realmcnewrealmcnew Member Posts: 1
    is the link you provided about a recall? i would love to have this problem fixed for free... please let me know! i have a 2004 grand prix
    I wholeheartedly agree! Not only is this problem evident in this forum but in talking with quite a few GM owners (not only of Grand Prixs) I have discovered it is a problem in Corvettes (not sure what years) and other GM models - and has been for a while. What was finally diagnosed as being the problem on my car (I still haven't fixed it due to the cost (over $1000)), is that the ABS computer control module has gone bad/failed. My car is only 6 years old (2004 Grand Prix) and it seems to me that this is clearly a defective module that GM continues to put into its cars. A recall is definitely the answer but my guess is that GM doesn't care enough to do it. GM says it is a changed company but that appears to be a ruse. I can't afford to get it fixed and can't affort a car payment, so I had the module disconnected and have regular, but no ABS brakes. I will never buy another GM product.
    aschoen,
    To start, I'm unsure who you spoke with before but my name is Christina. I apologize you have not received any acknowledgement from GM. I understand that you are not taking your vehicle to the dealer. I understand that seems like a small difference to you; however, in order for GM to look into this and try to assist you, you would need to take your vehicle to the dealer. If you would like to do so, please feel free to email me with your contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, and current mileage.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    No offense, Christina, but if GM would address this issue that has effected thousands of owners by issuing a very needed recall, aschoen, or anyone else,wouldn't have to spend money to find out what is already known. Part is defective. :lemon:

There are many qualified mechanics certified on GM at other places than the dealership. It ridiculous to say the dealer is the only one who can diagonose this problem. Why doesn't GM step up like it should? We all know the answer to that one - MONEY out of THEIR pockets isn't something they want to do but its okay for us to spend money out of OUR pockets.
    edited March 2011
    ecugirl81,
    I apologize for you your experience. I will say that GM needs to hear the customers to know there is a problem occurring. I understand you have spoke of your problems on here, but until recently, GM wouldn't be aware of this. I am proof that GM cares to hear their customers. They have put many of us out on forums to help customers like you get to someone who could be of assistance. My name is Christina and I work with customers here on Edmunds. Recalls are formed partly by customer complaints to GM Customer Assistance (the telephone number is in the owners manual). Anyone that is experiencing concerns that are unresolved at the dealer, are encouraged to contact myself via email or GM Customer Assistance via the 800 number in your owners manual. I understand that there are many mechanics that are certified; however, GM only accepts the diagnosis of a GM dealer. This could be for many different reasons; however, most companies do the same thing. GM dealers have a contract with GM, unlike independent mechanics. If you would like please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and concerns. I will do my best to assist you and your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    realmcnew,
    If you would like to send me your VIN I can look to see if there is open recalls for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2005gxp2005gxp Member Posts: 1
    gm customer service, i have under 50k and original owner, i have the same problem, can you advise how to get this fixed.. thanks denise..2005 gxp
    I'm sorry Christina and i wasn't trying to be rude about the whole deal. I know there is nothing you can do personally to resolve my issues, let alone, the hundreds of others on this forum who have experienced the same two problems. I do believe, however, that one of the last people on here said it right talking about GM. I did call a GM dealer and they wanted $100 just to look at my car. Even worse, the man I spoke to cut down the mechanic I've had working to fix my problems, not even knowing who he was...just simply because it wasn't GM. My biggest problem.....is that even if I do take it to GM, I am just about willing to guarantee that I am not going to get a free or cheap "fix". The man at GM said to me himself that my stalling and abs problems are not common....I beg to differ!!! This is just one forum and look at all the IDENTICAL complaints. They speak for themselves. I know I will be charged to "fix" my car even if the "fix" doesn't work (just as the many who have taken theirs to the dealer and not had their problem fixed). Whether it's fixed or not I will still have to pay $100 to "diagnose" my problem and then a higher than average bill for the repairs.
    I would hope as a GM customer service rep that you could pass on the stress we all feel over our problems...not that I expect you can do much. GM is about money, otherwise they would have already fixed this!
  • pjgolfalotpjgolfalot Member Posts: 2
    I have the same ABS traction problem; lights came on. I took to GM dealer 3 months ago and it was fixed for over $600. Now 3 months later, the lights were on. The dealer said each wheel has its own Hub and I would have to replace the other front wheel hub for another $600; total cost @$1300 and I don't know how long the lights will stay off. Pete

Christina I sent a separate email regarding the problem. I hope you can respond and assist
    I am currently assisting Christina on the forum. Are you still experiencing this concern? I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so I will need the VIN as well as your name, address and phone number send to me via email. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    I did everything Christine is telling you to do and got no where. I was told there is no recall on my car and GM was sorry. That was the end of it. I'm still having front end problems but I cannot afford the rates the GM dealers charge just to tell you what it is let alone the cost of the repair. All I know is I will never buy another GM and I don't think anyone else in my family ever will again. We have all been dedicated GM owners but times have changed now.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    I am staying away from them for the lack of talent and most are Buick/GMC dealers under the new Govt. Mtrs..In replacing parts, the service dept will pick the oldest design in their inventory and it will probably be the same engineering level as your failed part..so it will have a limited life..

Been there on "Steering Shafts" commonly known as the ISS, 3 in 30k miles, however @55k it seems to be working..3 batteries in 30k miles, and seems to be okay..Service uses the "first in-first out theory..2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Been thru 53 autos in my life, all Big3 except 2 Porsches..Current GM car is a 2006 Pontiac GT, purchased used at local Caddy dealer w/4300 miles..Traded in a 2002 Olds Intrigue w/120k mi., purchased new, and also had 2 other Intrigues, 1998 and 1999..The 99 and 02 were great little cars, the 98 was repurchased by GM after 26k miles due to steering and brakes issues.

I would not expect too much help from any GM dealer on the extinct Pontiac line, except high money grab..I was using the local dealer, however after 8k miles on Hankook tires purchased and balanced by the GM dealer the rear tires flat spotted due to alignment problems which the dealer had checked previously as OK..Dealers are too lazy to reslot the struts, however I have found that Chevy dealers are trustworthy..had the same problem with the 02 Intrigue and the Chevy dealer after 70k miles reslotted all 4 struts and after another 50k miles all was still in alignment..so I was shafted twice by the Olds/Caddy on prior aligments..

I am not a stop-light jockey, however I do travel fast on the interstates and demand "no shake", so balance+alignment are vital..and at rotation time if the car is smooth, I never rebalance..If shake develops then we check for a missinng weight for they are marked when installed..

In reviewing the recent problems owners are having on this forum, I will chuck the car immediately for it is not worth pumping any amount of money into a dead model..I got this car for 1/2 of original MSRP in June 2007..Pretty car with sunroof, leather, chrome wheels, and Monsoon..black w/tan interior..Only real concern with the car is a front end creak when acceleratoring from a stop..which disappears after a few miles..I live in Venice, Fla and the car never been exposed to snow or pot-holed roads..

Let's face it, the GPGT is a warmed over Chevy Impala with maybe a better suspension, and the supercharged V-6 is fun at the higher speeds and gets the triple-digit test on every interstate venture..comes alive after 60 mph..

My other car is a 2010 Mustang GT w/track pkg...bought used w/1365 miles..

The best Grand Prixs were back in the mid-70s, had a 74, 76, and a 77. LJ coupes with big-block V-8s..great road beasts..
    aschoen,
    No problem, I would just like to assist you in getting this resolved. I do understand that they want you to have a GM dealer look at the vehicle. This is just a standard operating procedures so we can get technical information and try to resolve your concerns and find a resolution for this. I understand you would prefer a independent mechanic; however, it has to be a GM dealer due to the fact they are contracted with us. There are many different reasons for this. I apologize for any inconvenience. But these cases with Customer Assistance are monitored. The more people that have a case for a particular issue the more attention the issue will get.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pjgolfalotpjgolfalot Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE: GM customer service Lucy called me, as a district manager responsible, said that "due to the age and mileage of vehicle" would not be able to assist me at this time. I asked, "so if the ABS lights go on again, we can assume it is not due to the age and mileage but a manufacturer's defect?" She replied, "you are free to call us back at that time". So I told her "most people on the Edmunds blog are upset paying for one service on the vehicle around $600 and then having to come back repeatedly for different wheels." I said, "if I knew what I do now, I would have just kept driving with regular brakes instead of potentially paying $2500 to keep the ABS light off. And once you pay for one wheel, if you don't pay for the next you feel like you wasted your first $600. "
    gjw467,
    I apologize you did not get the resolution you wanted. Every case is handled on a case by case basis. I recommend anyone who is experiencing concerns contact, myself or GM Customer Assistance. This way we can look into your specific situation and address your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    So...In the last week I have taken my car to a GM dealership. They ran their own set of diagnostics. I was told that the speed sensor/hub that has been replaced in my car (twice) is an aftermarket part and is not reading the speed of my one wheel properly. Little do they know that my mechanic also replaced one of my rear speed sensor/hubs also, with the same model part, and there was no comments as to that one not working. I am not saying that GM is trying to get my money because the guy who helped me with my car at GM was honest and didn't beg me to have them fix it....just said it's good to at least get diagnostic done at GM. Anyways, he told me that in order to even find out if the problem is something other than the speed sensors....that I would have to change this front speed sensor...for a third time. After that we can tell if is really something else. In other words, I have to spend $500 on a factory/GM sensor and hope that it is really the problem and resolves my problem. As I said before Christina, I have already invested about 1500 into this car. It's rediculous to know taht I am being told I must spend another 500 and "hope" it fixes the problem. The ABS grinding sound and feeling has trickled off but the lights are still on. The only reason I was able to resolve my stalling problem was from finding this forum and others who had the same problem. CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY!!!! it worked!!!! i spent over 400 trying to resolve that problem and not one mechanic...at 4 different shops...ever even thought to do that. I'm past frustrated....esp considering GM told me unless I wanna spend another 2000 its time to look at another car..... No recalls, no discounts, no free replacement to an obviously common GM/pontiac problem. Makes ya wonder if this is why they stopped making the pontiac to begin with. Any advice? I'd be glad to hear it