Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Problems

Comments

• jlp157jlp157 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I have been going through the forums and have found some great information so far. But I have not found any posts yet for my current problem. I have a '99 Grand Prix GT, and just rolled over 210,000 miles. I bought it with 80K on it, so I'm not positive but I think it is the original transmission.

A while back I was told after an oil change that there were alot of metal shavings in the transmission, and that I should get rid of it right away. Since then I have put in some Lucas and have driven it another 15,000 miles. Occasionally I will feel it clank underneath when I accelerate, but only when I am already doing about 40 mph,not from a standstill. So now I have problems getting it into reverse sometimes when I start the car. I have to play with the shifter and the brake pedal, and eventually it goes right into reverse. (sometimes it doesn't do it at all)

I asked someone about it thinking that it was the tranny finally taking the total dump on me. He told me that it was probably the interlock switch and has nothing to do with the inner workings of the tranny itself. When I squeeze on the shifter button, I can hear the clicking sound up to the dash.

So has anyone else had this problem, and how did you deal with it? My friend told me that I could try disconnect the interlock switch and it should take care of it, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Also....on the right side of the shifter, there is a little plastic plug that says "shifter" something....it's faded and I can't read it all. Any ideas what that is, and what it is for? I don't have a manual.

Lastly, I did put in an Astro Start last winter, that will shut off the car if you hit the brake before putting in the key.... Could this possibly be the culprit?

Sorry for being so longwinded here....this is frustrating and I need to see if I can get this taken care of before I get rid of it. The car has always been great up til now except for this problem and the water in the passenger floor while the A/C is running. With this many miles I guess I should be happy..

Thanks in advance for any advice with this problem..

JLP
  • suzuki1211suzuki1211 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 GT non supercharged grand prix, when the engine is under a load, you can feel a slight hesitation, several times, especially when going up a hill. i have replaced two of the engine coils (there are three) and this has not fixed the problem.Does anyone have a clue what to check next, I personally don't think it is the transmission, but have been wrong before, any thoughts. Was told to change fuel filter next. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • jerenegadejerenegade Member Posts: 1
    Just bought this car 3 months ago, I like it, alot. But, my 93 pontiac grand prix gtp has a 4T60-E tranny that has started leaking alot. It is coming from between the engine and the transmission. OK, so the front seal went out, fast. It has 100K and went from no leak to massive leak fast, 1 or 2 days. I have been told that if the front seal went out that means the oil pump isn't working and I need to rebuild the tranny or will just go out again along with other possible problems from the pump not working. It still drives fine. Anyone know if this is sound advice?
  • mrmetalmrmetal Member Posts: 1
    As stated above, my 1995 Grand Prix is having problems and will now not go in to any gear while running. I can move the shifter to any gear but it doesn't take no matter what gear. WHat could be causing this? Guess I have a big problem, huh? Would appreciate any answers anyone may have. Problem started Sunday when my car was driving fine and then would hesitate when hitting gas from stop (hesitate in to first gear); throughout the day it got worse and got to the point to where the car would rev real high but only go 30 mph or so; now, it won't shift in to any gear while running and also seems to have a little more trouble starting but does start. Thanks all.
  • rbergmanrbergman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 pontiac grand prix with the quad 4, the transmission will not shift out of first, and the spedometer quit working at the same time. Any ideas?
  • korkykorky Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Grand Prix with 198000 miles on it, the tranny was replaced around 165000 miles. I was on my way back to college today when my car suddenly jumped up to 4000 RPM's. I was driving about 70-75 mph (usually between 2000-2500 RPM's) I called my dad, he told me to pull over, turn the car off, let it sit and then try driving again. After letting it sit for about five min, i started it up again and it was running perfectly. The rest of the drive it was fine(2 hours) and I got to a stop light about a mile away from my apartment. As I approached the stop sign and started slowing down, my RPM's jumped up to 4000 again, my foot was on the brake, not the gas. Then when the light turned green, I pushed the gas and my car started rolling backwards. We got the car in park, let it sit for a few min, tried starting it again. It drove fine for about twenty feet and then started doing the same thing again. It seems as if the car is in neutral. I'm thinking this is a transmission problem because this is similar to what happened to my car before. Is it normal to have to replace the tranny's twice?! Also, my car was in on Wed. for new tires, and a bunch of other stuff(end up being $900) They also did a transmission flush which I was told was needed. Now after doing some research on the internet I'm finding that transmission flushes can lead to things going wrong with the tranny because of the gunk that gets built up in there. Any thoughts? Any and all would be appreciated as I'm a struggling college student and don't really have the money to pay for another new tranny. Thanks =)
  • abundyabundy Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I was wondering if cars with the 4T60(non-
    electronic) are compatible with each other?
    For example a 1990 regal vs 1990 grand prix with the same engine etc. Also since mine has
    the 4T60 and not the 4T60-E will the electronic
    one work in my car? Are there any other things
    that I need to be concerned with swapping trannys? Thanks.
  • tchessertchesser Member Posts: 1
    I have 58K on my GXP and the transmission has been hard shifting and missing for about a month now. Finally went out today and now I have to order a brand new transmission from Lansing at a price of $ 3400.00.

Has there been any other GXP owners with similar issues with the transmission?

Tony
  • ae726ae726 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 grand prix gt and it drove fine for the past 2 weeks, but I think I sense some foul play with the car. I know that they make a transmission stop leak, and such that you can buy from places like advance auto, and the dealership is one known for selling bad cars come to find out..The car ran like a dream, but slowly it started to act up, surging in second gear on flat roads, but as it is getting colder now it seems to be getting worse RPMs seem to be doing more exercise than me by the way they like to jump around.Especially when i'm going up hills that are somewhat steep, and along with the jumping, the car surges quite badly, almost like an asthmatic, trying to run a 50K if you get my drift, so if anyone is having similar problems, and knows a quick fix, or slow one for that matter,PLEASE reply!! Thanks ever so much,
    Alicia
  • ae726ae726 Member Posts: 2
    P.S my gt has 104,624k miles :0)
  • bettie2bettie2 Member Posts: 4
    My car is doing the exact same thing. Just got the solenoid flushed and the catalytic converter changed and it's still doing the same thing. I read earlier on this post that it might be a software upgrade issue. Does anyone know if this is true??
  • montana_catmontana_cat Member Posts: 26
    To the above two posters:

YES! Have your software checked out before you go any further. If Rob, who posted on here before me, hadn't posted what he did, my car would probably be long gone.

The software upgrade costs $44 or so. I spent $1,500 before they found this out.

Let's see: 1. Replaced some throttle thing - didn't work. 2. Replaced the solenoid - didn't work (twice). 3. Replaced the torque converter - didn't work. 4. Flushed out all the fuel injectors, replaced fuel filter - didn't work. 5. Replaced catalytic converter - didn't work. About 5 months, and $1,500 later ...

6. Found this web site, read about the software thing - EVEN THOUGH MINE HAD THE "MOST CURRENT" SOFTWARE, IT REALLY DID NOT. GM had an unreleased new version they uploaded to my car.

I HAVE NOT had a problem since. I am still driving my '99 GT and it runs like a dream again. So, by all means, explore this option. It fixed mine!

If I can save anyone some of the headache and frustration I've had, that will be great.
  • bettie2bettie2 Member Posts: 4
    I just got off the phone with the people from the Pontiac dealership. They told me to take it in to check the software, but the ran my VIN# and said that it had the "latest" software installed, but to take it in anyway. I'm going to print this whole thing out so he doesn't think I'm a lunatic and making this whole thing up. I'm so sick and tired of spending money on this issue :cry:

And thanks for your reply :D
    bettie2,

My car had "the latest software" on it too, which apparently is faulty. Somehow, the tech got ahold of someone in Detroit who gave him a new version, which HAD NOT been released at that time. Maybe they have never released it?! I don't know.

I just think you have to get the right person at the right time, who knows what he or she is doing!

By the way, I do not have a Pontiac dealer where I live. I took my car to a Chevy dealer. In theory, all GM dealerships should have access to the same thing, but it might be worth trying another dealership.

I hope they get it right. It took 10+ times for me. I understand how awful it is. :cry:

I think GM should fix this for free!
    Get the software checked. For more info, read some of my other posts on here.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    Re. post #111, I did not see a reply, so I'd like to pose a related question. I have a 2002 GP SE with 71K. It has no transmission problems. Would you bring it in for a transmission flush? The owner's manual calls for 100K before a flush, but that seems kind of high to me, and I don't want to wait for a problem to occur. On the other hand, I'd hate to create a problem unintentionally. Thoughts?
  • korkykorky Member Posts: 2
    After getting my tranny replaced last week, my mechanic told me that if you are going to do a tranny flush on a car that has higher mileage you should bring it to an actual garage and not somewhere like Tires Plus. He also said that things can build up in the tranny and when it is flushed it can knock things loose(dirt, grime etc.) that are actually doing the car some good by holding things in place, and mechanics are going to be a lot more careful when they do it because they deal with this kind of stuff on a regular basis. I guess I would talk to your mechanic or do some more research on the internet before deciding what to do. Personally I will never have another one done again, one week without a car and $2500 later was just not worth it. Hope that helps a bit =)
  • purplefreak8purplefreak8 Member Posts: 2
    I am having issues with my grand prix with the car when it is in drive mode losing power and bogging down. The dealer says the see the problem but there is no fix for the problem except to drive it in 3rd gear instead of overdrive. I argued my case with Pontiac on the phone and they will not fix it as they say there is no problem, but yet on my receipt they stated there was. I hope someone out there has the same problem and I can get this fixed. My car is only 8 weeks old. Also I have a brake issue with them clicking when first used and they say this is also normal . HELP???
  • purplefreak8purplefreak8 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 grand priz with 4000 miles on it. It has a surging problem mostly in overdrive but also in 3rd gear. You can watch the tack and it gets surges and the engine feels like it loses power and you have to punch it to get it to go. The dealer says there is no problem, to just drive my car in 3rd gear. This helps but doesn't stop it. Also I have never heard of driving a car in 3rd gear just to fix the problem. I have been in contact with Pontiac and they also say there is nothing they can do. I am so mad. I also had a second opinion of an "old school" mechanic and he says it is an electronic problem, somewhere. But POntiac refuses to check the problem. HELP??
  • angel50angel50 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Grand Prix SE 3.1 with 150,000 miles on it. I have a PO742 code. When it is cold the tranny shifts fine but when it is driven about 10 miles and slows then starts the shifting it shifts hard, I mean hard all 4 gears. twice in the last week when slowing for a turn it didn't down shift it stayed in 3rd or 4th gear. I can stop and shut turn it off for 5 minutes and it will shift fine until it is drove for a few miles and have to slow for a turn or stop and starts then it starts the hard shifting again. When on the hwy and it has to shift to a higher gear (out of OD) going uphill it is as smooth as a new car. It shifts smooth until it gets warm. and sometimes it doesn't hard shift at all but that is rare. I have changed the filter and fluid. I am about ready to trade it off for something else. Anyone have any suggestions? What would it cost to have the trannny changed? I have a friend who has an auto salvage with one that has 47k on the tranny. fix or trade? :sick: I need a dependable car.
  • angel50angel50 Member Posts: 2
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    It sounds like a valve in the trans. is sticking and that is not good you may want to replace it.
    it may put fine metel shaveing in the trans.
    Gearr
  • cargirl30cargirl30 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 grand prix with 52,000 miles. I think it is slipping. When I back up and put it in drive it slips and then surges and sometimes while driving up hills it does the same thing. It doesn't always do it so I'm afraid to have the dealer look at it. Last time I took it there they charged me 100.00 and didn't find anything. Any ideas?
  • shashadelashashadela Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like your catalatic convertor which is a covered item up to 80000 miles or 10 years. for some earlier models with known problems, GM extended this warranty to 2 years or 120000 miles.
  • shashadelashashadela Member Posts: 2
    I meant to say 12 years and not 2.
  • lordbutzlordbutz Member Posts: 1
    do you mean while at a stop when you give it gas it tries to die? i have that problem with my 93 i took it to a dude and said it was the spark plugs but i knew it wasnt and so i still have the problem and dont know what it is
  • soccer21soccer21 Member Posts: 2
    how long will the transmission in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix last? and how often should you change your filters and fluids. in order for the car to perform to its full potential ?

thanks,
    dustin
  • langford1langford1 Member Posts: 1
    Major problem..please help with some suggestions. 99 grand prix. I pulled it out of my drive this morning (in reverse) then i put it in drive, it sounded like it's tired were just going...but it wasn't going anywhere..i put it inot low 1..i started to go. So i turned around and pulled back in my drive. Called my husband to make sure i could drive it in 1..he said i would have to drive very slowly..so i went to leave, and i couldn't get my car out of the driveway (ALOT OF SNOW)..then some people came by to help me get me out of my driveway..and now no gears but Reverse are working. I did check the fluids..that seems fine..any suggestions before i go buy a new car?? just hoping this could be a nice quick fix instead of a whole new car...
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    Sorry...most likely an internal trans problem...hope you enjoy your new vehicle!
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    Change the fluid at least every 30 thousand miles. How long it will last? I've seen them go 250 thousand and not last 40...depends on what day it was built...lol
  • spj2spj2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 GP, GT with ~116k miles. Does anyone know where to find, in writing, the GM extended warranty (12 yrs/120,000 miles) for the catalytic converter that purplefeak8 talks about? I had my mine replaced a few months back. I didn't know it was still under warranty. I'd like to see if they will refund my money. The work was done by an ASE certified mechanic.
    Also, I will be picking up the car from my mechanic who was replacing the pressure solenoid valve in the tranny. My car was also doing the "hard shifting" after it had been driven a while. We'll see what happens.
    shashadela,

I was told the warranty was 80,000 miles on the catalytic converter for my 1999 Grand Prix. If you see some of my other posts, they replaced it while they were trying to find the problem with the jerking, which turned out to be a $40 computer program. Good luck.

After two pressure solenoid valves, one torque converter, and $1,200 my car was still being bad until they upgraded the computer program.
  • saddletramp1saddletramp1 Member Posts: 1
    will a 1989 pontiac grand prix se 2.8 tranny interchange with a 1990 grand prix se 3.1 :confuse:
  • shawn888shawn888 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guy's,
    I'm new to this forum and so far I like it.
    I hope somebody can help me with a transmission problem that I have.When I'm on the highway and I want to pass,the transmission does not want to down shift.It buckles until I let go of the gas and then it's fine.Or if I want to have little fun,the trans when it shifts,it shifts hard and it wont stop till I shut the motor off.When I turn the power off,everything is back to normal.It's like I have resetted something.Could it be that there is some kind of chip or selenoid scrued up?Because the probleme goes away when I restart the car.Can anyone help?
    Thanks. p.s.Pontiac Grand Prix GT 1999

Shawn
    Hey Guy's,
    I am new to this forum and it looks like you guy's help each other allot.
    I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT.My probleme is,If I go and give it some gas to you know,,have some fun with the big boys,,the transmission buckles.And after that the transmission shifts hard ,like it's detracked.But I shut the power off and restart,everything comes back to normal.Could this be some kind of sensor problem?
    This thing is bugging me.Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Shawn
    Shawn888,

The problem I had with my '99 GT transmission after many many despairing trips to the garage was resolved by another poster on here (Rob94). The computer program was faulty on my car. Of course, I had my transmission pulled and different parts replaced multiple times to no avail. The $40 computer program fixed it after spending $1,500 in other visits to the garage.

If you want the whole saga, you can read my other posts on this forum. Good luck. You might want to print some of the things out from this forum and take them to your service manager.
    Thanks montana cat,
    so it would be reprogramming of the computer?I will chek it out.
    Thanks
    Shawn
    Shawn888,

That worked for my '99, so hopefully it works for yours. I know how frustrating this problem can be!
    Hey montana cat,
    I went to the GM dealer ship and they did not want to reprogramme my computer.
    They said that is not the probleme.But they could not tell me the probleme. :mad:
    I think they just want to make money off of me.I am paying for the service and they dont even want to do that.
    Anyways,I told him off and I left. :mad:
    Now what do I do?
    Shawn
    :cry:

I don't know what to tell you other than maybe try another dealership. That really stinks! I can't promise that it is the computer, but I just know that is what finally fixed mine and several others on here.

I was also told to go to a transmission shop about my car, but I never went there because I wanted my dealership to get the job done right (which took many trips)! Ugh!

This is obviously a Grand Prix problem with some cars and one GM should fix!
    Hey montana cat,
    How was the transmission oil?before all of this?
    Mine is like black :surprise:
    It does not look good.I went to another dealer ship and checked my computer and said I have the latest software.Then he checked the oil and so did I and uhm,,,,well now I think that I have bigger problems.
    What do you think?
    Shawn
    Shawn,

That doesn't sound good. :sick: My transmission oil has never been black. It is a red-ish color.

How long has your car been acting up? The service manager at my local dealership said the longer I let it go, the more likely dirt could get in there because the transmission wasn't engaging properly. So, maybe this problem caused it to get black.

Also, my car supposedly had the "latest" version of the software on it too, but when they finally called Detroit on my car's 12th trip to the garage, someone told the tech he would put a new program on my car that hadn't been released yet. It was my understanding that it was still a test program and probably would be released, but maybe they never have released it. Other people on here have had the same response you got, but their car still messes up.

What did they say about the oil?
    well,,when they saw the oil color,they are now saying that my transmission is scrued. :surprise:
    But like you say,after maybe so long that is doing this,it's getting to the point that it is scruing up my transmission.I have been noticing it for a while now.But now the dealer ship thinks I should put a new one in. :cry:
    But I am not giving up yet,,I will try to see a Transmission specialist,to see what he can tell me.
    I am all nervest now,,I dont want to change transmission now.to much$$$$$$$
    Shawn
    Also,,how can I get that version that you talking about?
    When I tell them what I want to do,,,they look at me like I'm 'n idiot. :mad:
    What can I do to tell the dealer ship that could be my problem?I am runing out of ideas.
    Thanks
    Shawn
  • holeshotholeshot Member Posts: 3
    I have a 3003 grand prix gt the problem with my car is that they put the powersteering line next to the transmission dipstick that causes you to get a hole in your power steering line. This could be your problem or it might be your front hubs I recently had to replace both of those cost about 90 a piece from autozone. Good luck
  • straydogstraydog Member Posts: 2
    Hello, i've been reading posts about similar problems with a 99 grand prix but cant run across what seemed to be the actual fix. So, heres the problem.
    Typicaly in a hilly area, going anywhere from 35-55 MPH, the cars seems to cut out, lose power, buck, or chug. Kinda hard to explain the real feeling. Its not shaking or ratteling. Turning the car of and it sitting for a while does not change the actions. It started off gradualy, and now it seems to be continual. Shops & dealers say all kinds of different things from the computer to replacing the transmission.
    Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • vitram79vitram79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GP Se with 144k miles..for almost 2 months now..when i push the gas and try to accelerate..it takes as if it were towing a ton of bricks. I had it checked and there was an error code indicating it was the 1-2 gear sensor. Had that changed along with fluid and filter..i really dont notice a big difference with this change. actually it works fine until the trac/off light comes on and it seems to go back to that state of hesitation. can i get some help and see what else i can do to get this fixed.
  • straydogstraydog Member Posts: 2
    I also have the SE model w/ about 125k miles. The trac system still works fine. No noticable problem there at all. we had it tuned up along w/ all new plugs 7 wires including the harness. Nothing has helped so far. I'm being told things from an entirely new transmission to a part inside the transmission, but havent run across any mechanic that knows for sure w/ an actual history of the problem where he/she can be sure of the fix that I would pay them for. Its basicaly, "we can try this" and it cost me even if it doesnt fix the problem.
  • he1975he1975 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 grand prix and feels like my trans went out but not sure . hoping someone else has had this problem. i started driving out the gate and everything was ok . i hit the brakes at the light at when i felt the car wasnt going anywhere. i pulled into a parking lot and it wouldnt go. but when i turned it off and back on it moved for half a block and it went out again. i turned it off and on again and the same thing happened. has this happened to anybody else? if anyone can help i sure would appreciate it.
  • pjsantospolopjsantospolo Member Posts: 4
    Hi:

I have a Grand Prix SE 2005 3.1 V6 VIN M with 85,000 miles.

This morning I started the car after 2 days without using it. It passed about 1 minute after I went out from my home and made a stop to open a gate. After the gate opened I pressed the pedal slightly to continue but I was stocked in the same place. I saw that the transmission was in "D". I pressed again and it felts like wanted to move but nothing. I returned the transmission to "N" and then to "D" and the pedal and then I was on the road again.

I has to make another stop a mile after and I got the same issue.

I checked the trans fluid level and it is OK. The reverse is OK.

A week ago the car started to stall when I idle the car and also saw that the lights are dimming when I press the brake pedal or are bright when I pressed the gas pedal. I am not sure if this "seems to electrical/charging problem" is related to the transmission issue.

Please help! :(