Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Steering/Suspension

13»

Comments

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    My '06 SS has been getting progressively noiser in the rear suspension. Originally, I thought it was only the right side but now it seems to be both sides. It seems to be worse when the car is cold. I don't hear it much in the mornings since my car stays in the garage but when I leave from work, after the car has fully chilled during the day, it is much worse. Anyone else having similar issues?
  • impalamanimpalaman Member Posts: 1
    I read somewhere that there is an antenna mounted in the roof pillar on the drivers side (left side of the windsheild) that is connected with a plastic push connector. The article said that if you remove the plastic interior molding from the pillar you will see the antenna. Remove the plastic push connector and replace it with a metal screw. The antenna is mounted to the body in order to make the whole body an antenna. My 06 Impala SS has the same issue with having to be close to the car to remote start and open the doors.I am going to try it this weekend. I talked to the dealer about the range issue and he check the vin number and said my car was not in the incall group. I have read other 06 Impala owners postings about that same issue and they think, like me that their car should be in the recall group.
  • endurancemomendurancemom Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 06 Impala with 53,000 miles on it about a week ago. I have loved it, up until yesterday, when while just driving along one of the mall roads, it started to make a strange squealy whiny sound that came from the steering column area. When that sound started, it was nearly impossible to turn the car. It ran fine and shifted, etc without a problem, but when I had to turn on a road that was just about impossible. I barely made it back into my driveway -had to use two hands to get it to turn enough to get in the driveway. Needless to say, I'm a bit "peeved" about this. I have to get a rental car today to be able to make it to work Monday on time. I'll have to call the dealer promptly at 730am Monday morning to have them come TOW it back to the shop where they will have to repair it.

This really ticks me off, because my car I traded in for this one, a 1997 chevy lumina with 145,000 miles on it NEVER failed me. It had misc. little issues, but I was always able to get to work and back and drive around without any problems.
  • sandhogsandhog Member Posts: 3
    I have an 06 Impala SS with aprox.18500 miles on it.Im in NY state so it can get a little chilly here in the winter.My wife went to back the car out of the driveway Friday morning and had no steering.She called the dealer and he had it towed in.It seems that there is a problem with the power steering hoses on the Impalas.The SS and regular models are affected.GM is aware of the problem asd I recieved a bulletin from the dealership explaining the problem,and the fix.
    It is also known on the Monte Carlos also.
  • petshotpetshot Member Posts: 2
    i also have a 2002 impala. the traction control system light comes on for no reason daily for a week or so and then i won't have a problem with it for a couple of months. my gas gauge is also wacked out. i never know how much gas i have because the gauge will say full one minute and almost empty the next, so i just get gas every couple of days so i know i won't run out. last but not least i have a grinding in front end, thought it was brakes but it only happens when it is cold. once i drive for a couple of minutes it is fine.
  • axinutaxinut Member Posts: 11
    A simple way to fix the gas gauge issue may be to run a couple of tanks of gas with "Techron" in it, two of the major oil companies has Techron in their gas, I think they are Chevron and Texaco. Sometimes this will solve the problem.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    When my 2000 Impala was fairly new I had a problem with a clogged injector, which was fairly expensive to repair as I recall. Someone suggested running a fuel-injector cleaner (like Techron, which was the brand I bought most often) through the system ever time I changed oil, which I did. I never had any more fuel system problems...never had fuel gauge problems either, but can't say that was necessarily due to using the fuel system cleaners.
  • axinutaxinut Member Posts: 11
    This is a very common issue with Corvettes of this vintage, a tank of gas with Techron in it will usually cure the situation.
  • eddiemc63eddiemc63 Member Posts: 1
    A new TSB was issued on 3/27/08. This does include a new designed ISS. The number is 19179923. The TSB is 01-02-32-001O

#01-02-32-001O: Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Stering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front of Vehicle During Turnign Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Shaft As Directed) - (Mar 27, 2008)

Models:2001-2004 Buick Regal
    2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
    2000-2008 Chevrolet Impala
    2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

This bulletin is being revised to provide new I-shaft part numbers for servicing Allure and LaCrosse vehicles built PRIOR to January 1, 2006. A Corrective Action Summary has been added to this bulletin for quick reference. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001N (Section 02 -- Steering).
    Corrective Action Summary:

Model Year
    Vehicle Line
    Corrective Action
    2001-2004
    Buick Regal
    Replace using P/N 19179922
    2005-2006
    Buick Allure/LaCrosse
    (built PRIOR to January 1, 2006)
    Replace using P/N 25829292
    2006-2007
    Buick Allure/LaCrosse
    (built AFTER to January 1, 2006)
    Replace using P/N 25828562
    2000-2005
    Chevrolet Impala
    Replace using P/N 19179923
    2006-2008
    Chevrolet Impala
    Replace using P/N 25913681
    2000-2005
    Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    2006-2007
    Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Replace using P/N 25913680
    1998-2002
    Oldsmobile Intrigue
    2004-2008
    Pontiac Grand Prix
    Replace using P/N 25913680
    Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360° of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel or when applying/releasing the brakes.
    Cause

This condition may be caused by a "slip stick" condition resulting in the clunk noise or feel through the steering wheel.
    Diagnostic Tip

Important: This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.
    Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below:
    Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle. Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft -- not the steering gear. Continue with the correction.
    Drive the vehicle straight ahead at idle speed while applying and releasing the brake pedal. Listen/feel the steering wheel for the clunk-/noise condition.
    Correction

DO THIS
    DON'T DO THIS
    Replace the intermediate shaft
    DO NOT lube the intermediate shaft.
    Replace the existing intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information.
    Parts Information

Part Number
    Description
    Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling
    '01-'04 Buick Regal
    '00-'05 Chev Monte Carlo
    '98-'02 Olds Intrigue
    '00-'05 Chev Impala
    '06-'07 Chev Monte Carlo
    '04-'08 Pont Grand Prix
    '06-'08 Chev Impala
    Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling '05-'06 Buick Allure and LaCrosse vehicles built PRIOR to January 1, 2006
    Shaft -- Steering Gear Coupling ’06-'07 Buick Allure and LaCrosse vehicles built AFTER January 1, 2006
    Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
    Labor Operation
    Description
    Labor Time
    E7700
    Shaft, Steering Intermediate - R&R
    Use Published Labor Operation Time
  • mikeny38mikeny38 Member Posts: 1
    I also having the same issue with my 2002. Did you ever get answers?
  • nasstonassto Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 Impala that started doing the same thing this fall at about 45k miles (also cooler weather). I suspect the valves in the MacPherson struts are a poor design and are getting "slappy" with age. Too bad as other than that this is a perfect car.
  • JZT317JZT317 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Impala, and it sounds like your power steering is going out. Mine went out around 70,000 miles so that might be what it is.
  • danfraindanfrain Member Posts: 5
    Last night, I got a call from my daughter Katie. She had car problems, but she was rather vague about what problems she was having. I got to the location she'd asked me to come to and found her sitting in the back of a police car. The '06 Impala SS she'd been driving was nowhere to be found, so I looked around for a few minutes.

Finally, I spotted it. The car was about 30' down in a ravine. Kate was turning left when the steering locked up. Yeah, right, I thought. I would've tried that when I was sixteen, too. She hit a curb, two trees, some brush, and a bunch of big rocks down the hill. Car's likely totaled - both sides beat in, left front wheel off to the side, hanging on by the brake line. She walked away without a scratch. Shaking like a leaf, but unscratched.

I've been looking around the net, and it looks like GM has been aware for years of steering problems with these cars and not done anything. We can replace the car. It will cost a bunch of dollars, but anything built can be fixed or replaced.

I think THEY need to replace the car, since it was a known defect. I think our insurance company doesn't need to pay out the value of an '06 SS, and Katie doesn't need to have the claim on her record.

Anyone else had any similar problems, or does anyone have an idea of how to get GM to step up and do the right thing?

I've turned on Email alerts for this topic. I'll look forward to hearing from some of you, hopefully soon. Have a great day today and a better day tomorrow. Stay safe, and may God bless. I wish you His peace.

Dan
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Dan,

I am sorry to hear of Katie's mishap but glad she was unscathed, perhaps a testament to the car's safety quotient.

I have an '06 SS with approximately 18,000 miles on it and have never experienced any steering issues. I wasn't aware the 2006 Impala had any known steering defects apart from the intermediate steering shaft issue, which thankfully I personally have not encountered.

What "known defect" specifically are you referring to and is it known to result in accidents?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's some INFO, but it is from a lawyer's website, so take it with a grain of salt:

GM STEERING & LEGAL ACTIONS
    After Katie's wreck, I BINGed the subject of Impala steering problems. I hit all the safety sites and all the Impala sites i could find, and came up with quite a few hits.

The Intermediate Steering Shaft issues are merely inconvenient for most people. My daughters drove this car and if the steering was making noises, I was unaware. the original GM fix for the problem was to lube the shaft every 10,000 miles. Now the GM fix is to replace the shaft. It seems a natural progression from a shaft binding up occasionally to a point that it locks up. I don't know if that's valid, but it seems to me to follow.

I'm having the parts pulled and I may sned them out for testing.

Thanks for your good wishes for our Katie.
  • arauscherarauscher Member Posts: 1
    Just got the shaft replaced today 3rd time on 2001 Monte Carlo GM paid half $ 67.65 This problem is not going away :(
  • bryan421bryan421 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Impala had it's steering shaft replaced right at 31,000 miles and now is showing signs of the same noises as before, I currently have 64,000 miles on my Impala. My sister-n-law also purchased a new 2005 at the same time as me and her steering shaft needed replaced at about 30,000 miles. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before hers needs replaced again also. This is a definate issue that needs to be delt with by GM.
  • chris178chris178 Member Posts: 1
    You may want to consider having a qualified mechanic simply remove your existing ISS (intermediate steering shaft) and lubricate it with the proper grease since the shaft is not bad, but has merely run out of grease.
  • insgeekinsgeek Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    When it rains, frosts or I hit a puddle I loose my steering for a few seconds. This is very dangerous and the dealer ship keeps saying they can't find anything wrong. My mechanic replaced the belt and cleaned everything off and it was fine for about 4 months. Now its started again any one else with this problem? The car has 53,000 miles on it and I bought it used with 37,000 miles.
  • nasstonassto Member Posts: 3
    Check the Serpentine belt tensioner. I may have worn or have an imperfection that is causing it not to have enough tension when the belt is wet.
  • joe336joe336 Member Posts: 5
    I had a problem with my 2008 Impala intermittently losing power steering that appeared to be worse under wet pavement conditions. I initially thought the problem was due to a slipping belt since there was a squeeling noise when I turned the steering wheel abruptly left-right-left-right.... while parked, most noticeable after starting the engine cold. There was also a squeel upon starting the engine cold with no movement of the steering wheel. I took the car to the dealership and they could find no problem on the first visit.
    The intermittent steering occurred a few more times until I was nearly hit head-on while trying to make a left turn on a busy road. I took the car back to the dealership and expressed my concern over the safety of the steering condition. The service department finally found and corrected the problem: a mis-machined harmonic balancer, which also drives the PS belt, which could under certain conditions become loose and spin slower relative to the engine crankshaft.
    The service department mentioned that they actually found the problem by checking their database of steering problems and found the harmonic balancer issue.
    Thank you I'll send this to my mechanic. The dealer has been less than helpful.
    Thank you but this has been done twice. It was just checked again yesterday.
    That belt couldn't be any tighter.
    The belt was not the problem on my 2008. It was a loose hamonic balancer which drives the belt. The dealership can access the problem listed in the Chevy database.
    The dealer says the bulletin doesn't exist. Do you happen to have the bulletin number. Last time I buy a car from them..
    I will contact my dealership, Bowman Chevrolet, and get more details.
    Here is the Service Invoice word for word:

C/S LOUD SCREETCH NOISE ON COLD START.NOISE CHANGES WHEN STEERING WHEEL MOVED BACK AND FORTH. POWER STEERING CUTS OUT AT TIMES CAUSE:
    M MISC REPAIR
    707 MILLER, LARRY J LIC#:
    W (N/C)
    1.12588034BALANCER (N/C)
    1 12577710 SEAL (N/C)
    FC: PART#: COUNT:
    CLAIM TYPE:
    AUTH CODE:
    14880 SLIPPING / MISMACHINED ROAD TEST SEVERAL MILES & P/S JUST DROPS OFF AT TIMES. NEC TO SEARCH BULLETINS FOUND BULL FOR BELT SQUEAL & P/S INOP. NEC TO MARK HARMONIC BALANCER & ROAD TEST VEHICLE. RECHECK BALANCER. FOUND MARKS HAVE MOVED, BALANCER SLIPPING. NECTO SEND TO HEAVY. NECTO REPLACE HARMONIC BALANCER & TIMING COVER SEAL PER 707 REQUEST. REASSEMBLE ENGINE & ROAD TEST OK.NEC TO SET TOE & ROAD TEST OK.
    07 & 718
    Thank you. The balancer has been replaced and everything seems fine. Your post solved the problem for me. I really appreciate the fact you posted it or I'd still be fighting to get this fixed. Now all I have to do is finish dealing with Chevy to get them to pay me back since it was their faulty part that caused this. Thanks again!!
    Just a follow up to my a steering problem that has now been corrected by replacing the harmonic balancer. The dealer could never find time to look at the problem while I was having it. My own mechanic fixed it after I told about the balancer. I was dealing with Chevy Customer Service for reimbursement since it's a defective part. They refuse to pay the $239 because a dealer didn't do the repair. 2 dealers wouldn't look at it. Apparently I was suppose to get in an accident or killed before they will aknoweldge there is a problem and pay for it. After 4 GM cars this is definitely my last because of their extremely poor attitude. How cheap can they be!
This discussion has been closed.