Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Steering/Suspension

jugjug Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a new 2004 Impala LS with the 3800 engine that has an ongoing problem with the power steering making an annoying hissing noise beyond what is normal. It definitely gets a lot worse and more noticeable when the outside air temperature is over about 40 degrees. It is almost non-existent when the weather is cold. It can heard quite easily at a idle and when driving under 10 MPH. The power steering pump,lines and rack have all been replaced. The dealer doesn't know what else to do and are now saying that they all do it. I am hesitant to believe that and the ones that I have listened to are all quiet.

Anyone else having a similar problem ?

Comments

• hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    2002 LS - Like this car alot. Finally the dealer fixed the low rpm tach noise. I am feeling a light thump in the steering wheel whenever I apply the brakes. I am nearing the end of my warranty period and would like to not have to pay for the fix. Any info??
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Sounds like the dreaded warped brake rotor problem. Our '01 LS rotors had warped twice in under 30k, had 2 manifold gasket leak problems along with the ISS steering shaft lube and peeling roof strips. Loved the car for it's interior room, size, ride, gas mileage and style but couldn't keep dealing with the problems so we dumped it. Hope you have better luck with yours.
  • gleidygleidy Member Posts: 1
    I had the clunking and creaking in the steering columns when turning and hard braking. I have a 2001 Impala LS with 48,000 miles

The dealer lubed the IIS (intermediate steering shaft) and the clunking and creaking has gone away.

The total cost was $91.68. The lube kit number was (26098237) and costed 10.61.
  • tkccetkcce Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 LS with the low rpm tach noise. Dealer replaced instrument panel cluster, but still makes the noise. What did the dealer do to fix your problem
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I left my car with the dealer for a week, they gave me loaner and sent MY cluster in to have it silenced. They then re-installed MY cluster in and the low end noise was gone. The problem they are having is they are not replacing the cluster with a KNOWN good unit. They first told me it was an inherant noise for the Impala, BS on that. I told them to get it so I can't hear it and they got it right on the third try.
  • luvmyimpalaluvmyimpala Member Posts: 3
    A heads up to all 2000 owners! I recently had to replace both my power steering pump and power steering cooling line.

There is a plastic splash guard underneath the power steering pump. This guard rubbed against the cooling line which created a small hole in the aluminum. I started hearing a grinding noise while steering and found the problem. $280.00 at the dealership to replace both. The new line is still aluminum, but it has additional guards on it to prevent rubbing.
  • 2000impalals2000impalals Member Posts: 4
    Is it a thump, or can you kind of feel a click in the wheel. My husbands father and uncle both told me there was nothing wrong with my car, but since I drive it everyday I knew something was wrong. I took it to the chevy dealership and he told me there was a TSB out on the steering staft. He said they were underlubed and needed to be changed out. That was in August. After I got it fixed there was nothing wrong until last weekend. I pulled into my driveway and my wheel went loose and I almost hit my house! The tow truck came and picked it up because my steering wheel was doing 360's over and over with no pull. The dealership said it was going to cost them a fortune to fix because that steering shaft they fixed snapped in half!!! and they were going to have to take everything out of the front of my car to get all the pieces out. I told them I don't care how much it costs, fix it! It has been 2 days and they aren't done with it yet but they are paying for the tow, rental car and all of the fix. So anyone who's steering wheel has a click in it, go get it fixed. The first time they paid for it in full also, because there was a TSB out on it. Good Luck to all.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    what were the warning signs? how can someone see them starting to wear out and avert major problems? Thanks in advance for the info...
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Popping in the front suspension that could be felt when turning while pulling out from a stop. Sometimes when going over bumps. I didn't have a problem or accident, I was in for the OFL and asked them to look at it. Not sure what ultimately would have happened if let go.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I asked because while waiting to make my left hand turn yesterday at lunchtime, a woman pulled into the intersection in front of me. She appeared to have stalled out, so I pull my car to the side and got out to help push her out of the intersection.

Turns out she wasnt getting pushed anywhere, her drivers side wheel and hub had seperated and the wheel was sitting sideways in the wheel well. I read your post about wheel bearings and thought of her.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Wow! That's what was on my mind when they told me the problem. Glad I had it fixed. thanks for the info.
  • jopuvajopuva Member Posts: 4
    If you have the 3.8 engine, the oil change people may not be checking your power steering fluid. The reservior is extremely difficult to find and get to. I had awful noises for a month when turning the steering wheel. When I finally found the reservior, the fluid was very low, despite having had the oil changed a week before -- and they marked the power steering fluid as full!!!!

It is located directly beneath the alternator near the back of the engine. You can't even see it! Stick your hand down below the passanger side of the alternator and you can feel it. You will need a flexible tube funnel to get the fluid into it.

As soon as I filled it up, the steering noise was gone. You practically have to be a contortionist to get to it. No wonder Impalas have so many steering problems!
  • dstowersdstowers Member Posts: 5
    I have experienced the same (or very similar) issue on my 04 Impala that I got in Oct 04. It goes from being a slight scraping noise to a high-pitched whistle at varying points. Like you, I was shown it was "normal." This problem, combined with various other little glitchy things that shouldn't have made it past QC, have convinced me to start steering away from GM products in general.
  • robinlynn2robinlynn2 Member Posts: 1
    I started reading the posts on this board from number 1 and realized that the problems I am having with my recent 2002 Impala LS purchase are common. I hope that someone can give me the information I need without my having to read all 1191 posts!

First the ISS; I was familiar with a problem in the steering column because my daughters cavalier also has a clunk in the steering wheel. I bought the car anyway. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying the Impala from a used car lot. Not a Chevy dealer. I had them replace the Steering shaft(?) was fine for a couple of weeks, now the problem feels even worse. In addition the traction control system keeps kicking in, the abs light comes on occasionally and the service traction system warning light comes on. I replaced the starter and along with the battery last week because car wouldn't start intermittently at a cost of $520. I am waiting for a paycheck to take the car in for the abs/traction control problem...

Anyway, can anyone tell me where to get recall information - if there is any on the 02, and has anyone had success getting repairs on the list of "defects" that this car seems to have without paying thousands and without the car being under warranty? I bought the car in November '04 -the warranty that I received was up at the end of March- three weeks before the brake problem started. Thanks in advance for any and all help. :confuse: P.S. - despite the headaches - I love this car. I must be crazy.
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    abs, trac control lights coming on. Each wheel has a sensor. It is one of the reasons the wheel hub, bearing assembly is so expensive. I know, I just had two front units replaced. Though I only paid $618 total for both installed. My '01 Imp LS has 127,000K miles and going strong.

Anyway, there is a good chance one of the sensors is malfunctioning. That would tell your car's computer that one wheel was moving at a different speed than the other three thus triggering the traction control response and the warning light.

By the way, the bearings as part of the wheel assembly are not limited to Chevy. :shades:
  • philpot1philpot1 Member Posts: 1
    I cannot find the power steering reservoir for my 2000 impala
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    If you have a 3800 engine. Facing your engine from the front, the reservoir is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment, on the right side of the coolant reservoir down below the back of the altenator 6 inches out from the firewall. It is very difficult to reach. Use a flashlight. Several inches down you will feel the cap. If you remove the cap hang on tight its very easy to drop and difficult to pull out past all the hoses. I just had mine flushed out by the dealer on my 2001 LS 3800. If you have a 3400 engine it might be in the same location.
  • stanleylittlestanleylittle Member Posts: 5
    if your standing in front of the car its on the left side behind the valve cover in the back of the motor its is like halfway down kinda hidden
  • aaekebwaaekebw Member Posts: 1
    Did you get the traction control problem repaired on your 2002 Impala? I also own one and seem to be experiencing the same problem you had, in that the traction control comes on occasionally for no apparent reason. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • mrplavickmrplavick Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I've lurked here looking for info on my 2002 3.4 Impala steering clunk and was happy to learn that GM has acknowledged the problem and upgraded the ISS part. Armed with this information I took the car to my dealer and told them "I have the ISS clunk". They said it's a known issue and they could put the new version of the ISS in. About $200. Note that the first time I had them check the clunk I was vague in my description and the dealer said nothing was wrong. Being informed and direct was the key to getting a resolution.

Thanks to everyone who shared their information!

MrPlavick
  • patd1961patd1961 Member Posts: 2
    I just brought back my 2005 LS back to dealer complaining of a real slight feel in steering wheel when I go thru turns and they changed steering shaft with warranty. I recommend anyone who feels anything in steering wheel on new car to bring back to dealer! :)
  • chibearbobchibearbob Member Posts: 2
    I have 26,000 miles on my 03 Impala. I noticed a clicking in the steering wheel when turning. The car drives fine.

Is this the start of a tie rod problem?

Any recall information? It just went off warrantee (of course).
  • divorceddivorced Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Impala 27,000 miles on it and I had the same problem( so did my mom and dads 05 Impala' s.) We took them back to the dealership and it was explained to me that it is well know problem with the 2002-2005 Impala' s. It is not a safety hazard more of annoying. It has something to do with the boot.( when the came out with the 2002-2005 model they didn't change the size) If you call the nearest dealership they will take care of it for you.(free). I got mine replaced (so did my parents) at the cost of the Chevrolet. Dealership says it is a well know problem with Chevrolet because its not a safety hazard they didn't do a recall.
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    I've had the same thing with my '03 Imp [last week] w/ 35K on it. They added some type of grease fitting kit and it's taken care of the problem---- free

AND I've had the right upper manifold gasket replaced too-- still under warranty.

Now WHAT can I expect?? Anyone?

Japanese looks better all the time.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    You can expect your catalytic converter to go. Even if and when your warranty expires GM will cover the issue until 120,000 miles replacement and labor free.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Expect the switch for the driver's power window to go out at about 60-70k miles. Easy enough to replace yourself (part runs about $90 new), but just hope it quits with the window up (mine didn't!).

I've had Japanese too; had an '89 Celica that had a power antenna that never worked very well (if at all), heater control went out ($400 for the part new; tried to save money buying a used one, which also didn't work), replaced the muffler SEVERAL times (finally got a Midas "lifetime" muffler, which lasted a little longer, but still had it replaced a couple of times on their dime), broken seat belt, rear window defroster, etc. in @ 115k miles. And '89 was the LAST year of that particular body style, which should have meant they had all the bugs worked out.

Also had a '95 Geo Prizm (aka Toyota Corolla); I know we replaced an axle on it before it hit 90k miles, radio knobs fell off, etc.

Not knocking Japanese cars; just saying all cars have their problems. I think a lot also depends on the driver; several folks here have complained about bad brake rotors on their Impalas...I'm still running my original rotors, and only changed pads once so far (just over 90k miles). I'll probably replace my rotors when I replace my pads in a month or so, mainly just because I want to try to upgrade them somewhat over the OEM rotors.
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

I recently inherited brother in-law 2001 Impala. Only has a little over 47K on it. Have the clunk sound. Took it to dealer earlier this month. I also found a TSB for the ISS. Dealer supposedly ordered part, couldn't fill order. Said there part no longer available. Said revising part and said new TSB released in January this year (I haven't been able to locate it). Said, only thing could do is take out and grease it. I've read others have done this but only to find problem comes back.

So my question? When you say put in "new version" was this an upgrade over the original design? Trying to figure out if dealership just doesn't want to help me.
    As far as I know (2000 Impala owner posting here since early 2000), there was no improvement made to the ISS...they simply took out the old one and put in a new one, hoping it didn't develop the problem. I had mine greased early on (where they tap in a grease fitting and basically fill the thing with lube), and thus far haven't had the problem return. I wouldn't be afraid to go that route if it's an option.
  • sep1sep1 Member Posts: 3
    I am also experiencing the exact same issue you have described. Mine is an 04 with 25000 miles. The dealer has done nothing and either tell me it is normal or they cannot reproduce my complaint. I had a service manager ride with me and finally said they could here the hissing noise, but said it was normal. I have a hard time with that response as I did not hear it until about 5000 miles ago. If anyone has had this issue and resolved it please let me know what your fix was!
    Some time ago I think I posted here about a whining noise I had in my 2000 Impala, which only occurred when making a sharp left under relatively heavy acceleration. The whine was independent of the transmission, but varied with the RPM of the engine (you could put the car in neutral and rev the engine, and the pitch would rise and fall, even though the car's speed remained constant).

FWIW I finally took it in yesterday to have someone look at it, and the problem was simply low power steering fluid. I was afraid it was the alternator or a bearing, but topping off the fluid solved the problem. No signs of a leak or anything, so the assumption at this point is that it lost fluid over time and eventually got low enough to make noise.

BTW today marks the 6th birthday of my 2000 Impala; I ordered it in early in 2000, and today was the day it rolled off the assembly line (I took possession 3/23/00). Almost 91k miles at this point, and other than the ISS and intake manifold (and front rotors that required turning early on, but that are still on the car), I've really had no other problems and I'm still happy with the purchase. Looking back I don't think I'd have been as happy with another car as I have been with this one. My oldest daughter (13) is disappointed that I'll have probably sold this car before she turns 16, and she'll likely inherit my wife's 2003 Accord. Maybe we can send her off to college in a 2012 AWD Impala!!
  • dfreeman1dfreeman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the intermediate steering shaft replaced on my 2003 impalla and now have a wherring sound when I turn the steering wheel. The dealer has lubed a bushing and this did not help so they say I will just have to live with it. If you have the radio on you can just hear it but it is something I do not want to live with as I drive lots without tunes playing. any one have ideas as I only have 4 months of warranty left.
    I know this will sound like an obvious answer that you've probably already checked, but take a look at your power steering fluid level and see if it's full or not. I had a whirring/whining sound coming from my 2000 Impala that only showed up when making sharp left turns under acceleration (like pulling out to turn left at an intersection). It finally got annoying enough that I took it to a local shop, and all they did was top off the fluid (which was low) and that solved the problem. They said the reservoir was hard to get to (back between the engine and the firewall I think), so it's easy to overlook when doing other routine fluid checks.
  • dfreeman1dfreeman1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. The level is good . The noise is up in the steering colume. Any more feed back would be good. thanks
  • traxingertraxinger Member Posts: 2
    I have had my steering shaft replaced twice and now they are telling me that it just needs to be lubed. Chevy does not know how to fix the problem and will not give you any assistance with the cost of the repair. ($1,100). They will tell you that it is a faulty part but they do not have a recall on it yet so you do have to pay for it. They said it is very common in the Impala and does not cause a threat but you can leave it if you want to put up with the noise!! and they wonder why people are going foreign!!
  • pcameronpcameron Member Posts: 7
    When I had that steering shaft problem on my 2003 Impala, the dealer knew right away that it needed to be taken apart and lubed (or replaced) and they did it. On warranty. It is a chronic problem, and GM absolutely should take care of you. Make some noise, and they will reimburse you.
  • pcameronpcameron Member Posts: 7
    When I had that steering shaft problem on my 2002 Impala, the dealer knew right away that it needed to be taken apart and lubed (or replaced) and they did it. On warranty. It is a chronic problem, and GM absolutely should take care of you. Make some noise, and they will reimburse you.
  • traxingertraxinger Member Posts: 2
    It will happen again in about 12k miles. I have talked with many people at GM and they will only give assistance the first time. The rest of the time you are on your own. I had a manager at the Corporate office tell me that because it is not a recall yet they will not pay for it. He told me to put up with the noise.
  • impalanoviceimpalanovice Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I recently had a very scary experience driving a 2006 Impala. I was driving on a straight highway going about 70-75 mph when the car very suddenly started jerking and swerving from side to side. I tried to take control of the steering wheel, to no avail -- the car seemed to have a mind of its own. I was unable to regain control of the car and it ended up on the side of the road. Thankfully, my passenger and I walked away with only scrapes and bruises, but this could have been a fatal accident. I first thought a tire blew out but this apparently was not the case. Please help! Any thoughts as to what could have caused the problem? Are there any Impala drivers out there who have experienced a similar problem? Thanks so much.
  • pbaranellopbaranello Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2002 Impala and the sterring is tight. I also have a 2006 LT3 and I don't like the way the steering feels. I cannot say as yet but I think that the 2006 models have a problem.

Stay tuned........
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2006 LTZ. The car veered to the right and the service people assured me that this was intentional so the cars did not veer left into oncoming traffic. (Something from a manual did indicate this.) Guess it is okay to veer to the right into a ditch or another vehicle.

Honestly, after much anger and frustration on my part they discovered a bad tire and replaced it--twice. The problem was still there, so they finally listened to the stupid female again and started working on alignment. After three tries it finally is drivable. (It would be fine for a few hundred miles and then be back to the old swerving routine.)

It probably didn't hurt that the GM was nearby when I took the keys in and threw them on the salesman's desk and told him that he was trading me cars for the evening.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    It probably didn't hurt that the GM was nearby when I took the keys in and threw them on the salesman's desk and told him that he was trading me cars for the evening.

Good for you! I'm so tired of having to coach my sisters because they get treated so differently. I can fully relate to your tire issues although it sounds like you may have some problem with suspension or steering components. I hope that isn't the case. My '02 Monte Carlo had two tires that were replaced for being "out of round". I suspect all four were bad but the other two were "within limits" so I was stuck with them. I have little faith in Good Year and I'm pretty sure all '06 Impalas have Good Year tires. Other than the tires that came with my cars, I refuse to buy them. Good Year seems to be resting on their good name. The competition is hungrier and usually a much better tire at a lower price. :)
  • darmsteaddarmstead Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Impala. Great car. Two issues.
    1) When turning at about 10 mile an hr or so left or right or when going around curves I feel a quick slip in the steering.

2) It seems that the Impala is not a smooth ride. I feel the bumps in the rode. Anyone else having these's issues.
    Which engine/trim level do you have (3.4 base, 3.8 LS)? The 3.8 came with a somewhat more sport-tuned suspension (relative to the base model, anyway)...it might ride a little firmer and transmit road imperfections more than a base model.

Also, how many miles do you have on your tires (and what brand/model are they)? If the tires are worn or a cheaper brand, they could account for both of your problems. My 2000 came with Goodyear Eagle GAs (I think), when they wore out I put on a set of sportier Bridgestones which handled much better, but they lowered my gas mileage. This last round I went with a more pedestrian Firestone tire, which do NOT promote spirited driving. The lose traction under modest acceleration from a standstill, and they tend to slide/give more than the sportier Bridgestones. In addition to trying to eke a little more gas mileage out of the car, the tires were also rated at tirerack.com as being very good for wet stopping...since most of my driving is in town commuting back and forth to work, I find it more critical for me to stop quickly in all conditions than to be able to accelerate. I'm not disappointed in the tires, because they're delivering what I bought them to do...but I do miss the handling of the Bridgestones.
  • darmsteaddarmstead Member Posts: 3
    I have a 3.4 base with HP259 size 16" tires. This was all that show's on tires. Tires are in very good shape. I have 35240 miles on car. 32152 when first bought.
    The only other thing I can think of the intermediate steering shaft (ISS), which is an oft-mentioned problem with the 2000-2005 Impala. If you're feeling/hearing a "clunking" when turning at fairly low speeds, especially when applying the brakes, that might be the "slipping" you're feeling. There are many other posts here about the ISS problem, but the basic fix is for the dealer to lube the ISS - sometimes this takes care of the problem, and sometimes it returns eventually.
  • mrwaynemrwayne Member Posts: 20
    Also check message 1641.
  • impalanoviceimpalanovice Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I would really appreciate any insight you may provide me as to what have gone wrong -- is it the steering column, alignment? What would cause a car to suddenly start going from right to left?
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    To know for sure, you'd want to investigate with all the conditions recreated. Uneven pavement, pavement texture, standing water, high wind, as well as mechanical issues could cause unexpected steering input. Also, once the initial problem/input occurs, it has the chance of creating a cycle of over-correction which sometimes gets attributed to the vehicle. In the heat of the moment, it's not easy to determine what problems are being caused by the vehicle or conditions and what may be caused by your reactive driving inputs.

If the problem were mechanical, it would likely remain a constant or get worse. Since this condition didn't repeat itself, I doubt a mechanical problem. The only other cause that comes to mind would be a possible glitch in the ABS or traction control programming but that is unlikely in this day and age. Manufacturers test relentlessly to discover any problems prior to releasing a new model or technology to the public. Sometimes they miss things but it is rare. Hopefully, this helps. :)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Does this happen when applying the brakes? If so then your front brakes need servicing. If it doesn't happen when braking (the swerving etc) it could be a tie rod, bad wheel bearing, or strut problem. These have been issues with the 2000-05 Impalas. Get a certified mechanic to check it out. Test drive.
  • pbaranellopbaranello Member Posts: 36
    You have not said whether it has happened again? If it has not happened again then it was not the car but possibly some road condition you ran into. The problem I had was that my tires were not balanced properly and it was making me feel as if there was something wrong with the steering. Once they re-blanced the wheels & tires the vibration went away. A wheel balance problem won't cause the problem you had.

The 2006 still does not handle as good as my 2002 Impala but the 2006 has a much softer ride, that I had to get use to.
This discussion has been closed.