Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Climate Control/AC/Heater

alex118alex118 Member Posts: 1
Hello to all..im new at this and would really appreciate if anyone could help me out....i have a 2000 chevy impala ls with 63000 miles on it.....when bought my dual temperature interior lights worked fine..after about 2 mnths my drivers side temp.switch lighting went out..not knowing much about the interior lighting i took apart the dash as carefully as possible to try and fix the bulb to then realize that the impalas bulbs are all sottered to the circuit boards...when I put back the dash I came to find out that the passengers temp. switch had also went out. PLEASE HELP! I would love to fix the issue. Also.. my right corner (the rpm guage) of my instrument pannel also is very dim. Looks like the bulb went out..can anyone assist. Please reply..Thanks a lot people. :confuse:

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I had the same light go out on my climate control, as well as one on one of my radio buttons (TRAF). However, after replacing my power window switch and seeing how the light bulbs were soldiered in on it, I thought twice about tearing into my dash and trying to fix the other lights. I did keep my old window switch with the thought that I might be able to take one of the working bulbs and use it to replace the burned out ones elsewhere, but it hasn't been enough of an issue for me to worry with. No advice for you in terms of getting things working again unfortunately; I'm not much of an electrician, and when I saw the bulbs didn't just plug in I pretty much gave up on the idea of replacing them.
  • tstevenststevens Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 2000 Impala with dual climate control. Just today the passenger side began blowing out hot air regardless of the temp setting. The driver side blows out cool air regardless of temp setting. Any thoughts? Please advise...
    If you have the bench seat you could just drive from the middle position!! :D
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    It sounds as if the temperature control switch went bad. Have it checked and replaced.
  • stevessstevess Member Posts: 1
    2003 Impala A/C on and both zones set to max cool. Passengers side is fine, drivers side is blowing vent temperature air. Any ideas? Help! It's hot outside!
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    It appears that you need to replace the temperature console. You can't just replace the slide bars. The whole unit needs to be replaced. Goodluck.
  • waynehinklewaynehinkle Member Posts: 1
    Steve, my son-in-law has the same problem but do you still think its the temp control unit if: when the slider is up, heat blows, when mid way, outside air blows, when down, outside air still blows? Also, we swapped vaccum hoses on the back of the unit behind the sliders but no change. It seems the working side has no vacuum pressure but the non-working side does (assuming they correlate to the sliders). The unit is about $100 and probably non-returnable. Your further advice would be big bucks appreciated!
  • lemerson1lemerson1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has noticed a musty odor coming from the ac vents during operation. I believe it may be a clogged condensate drain. However for the life of me, I can't locate the a/c drain. Before I take the vehicle in to the dealer for this "small problem", does anyone know where the drain is accessible from? I can see the freon lines going to the evaporator through the firewall, but no drain anywhere near. Sounds like an easy fix once I locate the drain. Any ideas?
  • sgoodie66sgoodie66 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Chevy Impala and the A/C works great but when heat is engaged I only get heat from the passenger side of the vehicle, regardless of the setting on the dual climate control...Others have the same or similar problem but no one can pinpoint the solution. Can someone please help???
  • greg3815greg3815 Member Posts: 15
    i have an 02 impala 102k taken very well care of an its started last week geting low on coolant an no mater how much coolant i put in it it will over heat an say low coolant an now when i go to run my a/c it wont work it acts like its low on freon but itsn an when i leave the fans on it will start shootin out very hot steam help????
    I'd check the heater core, especially if the steam smells at all like antifreeze/coolant.
  • p62480p62480 Member Posts: 8
    I had a 2004 Impala LS with the same problem. The dealership diagnosed it with as a bad temp. actuator. I just found the receipt the part number was 15249473. The total cost to be fixed was $195. The part was $45 and the rest was labor. I hope this helps.
    I recently purchased a 2000 Impala Base. The AC/Heater fans only work on level #5. I assume that the control is bad. Is replacing the control hard to do yourself? I also am having the turn signal problem (not working). Is that something that could be replaced at the same time since the dash would be taken apart too, or is that an even bigger project? Any ideas or assistance would be great.
    The problem was a Blower Motor Resistor (GM Part 89018643). Its located between the blower motor and the firewall under the passenger side dash. It was a little difficult to get to, but if you have reasonable mechanical aptitude you can replace it yourself. Just make sure you get the newer version of the part...it was poorly designed and overheated and melted...but the new one seems to be a lot better designed. Cost of part was approximately $30...add approximately $150 to have replaced at dealership.
  • mrcarbjbmrcarbjb Member Posts: 2
    Update,That part number 15249473 has been changed to 15844096 and there are (3) of these actuators on this dual air control. And if the heat doesn't work on the drivers' side then it is the actuator on the drivers' side that is bad and needs replacing. And just the opposite for the other side. And it cost me $43.47 including tax. And it took me about an hour to replace it. Thanks guys, As I have talk to plenty of my mechanic buddies and none had a clue about this problem.
  • bigpres2001bigpres2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Impala and the heat does not come on. If I switch the climate control over to heat I get cool air. Help I'm freezing. :(
  • mrcarbjbmrcarbjb Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like you have the same problem with the actuator as the others but yours is the one that controls the heat and A/C duct which would be located in the center position on dual temp control. The part # is the same as noted above 15844096. There are (3) three of these actuators on the dual temp. control units. If you know how to install these actuators the parts guy will print you out a diagram of where it mounts. If you don't know how, then I suggest you take it to your mechanic/technician and let him order it and install it for you.
  • caperboycaperboy Member Posts: 1
    Purchased the 2007 LS in September. Have had it back to dealer 3 times and they are still waiting for a fix from GM Engineering. Problem is:

The climate control does not work with the remote start. The fan kicks in and blows air but only whatever the outside temperature is. Once you put the key in the on position the hot air kicks in. it does not matter where the controls are set. I would think that if they have systems that are working and, some that are not i am told, it should be a simple fix. Apparently not. Has anyone else had a similar problem. All other remote start functions working as they should. Thank You
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I have an 06 and haven't let mine run long enough to ensure the heat is working but I'll give it a try. The one problem I've noticed is that my heated seats will (intermittently) not remain on after using the remote start. It usually only happens when I have both seats on and then, it's usually the driver's seat that won't stay on longer than a few seconds. Once I stop and restart the engine normally, the problem is gone. My guess is it's another software problem. I'll follow up on the remote start/heat issue.
  • clgibbs2clgibbs2 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 Impala. The blower does not kick in as soon as the fan switch is turned on. It is 8 degress outside and makes for a real rough ride. What may be the issue?
    If it is a relay or something, where may I install it?
    Thanks a whole bunch!
  • kristy0090kristy0090 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem and the mechanic told me it was the drivers side temperature control motor. My heat does not work on the drivers side or the passengers side. I ran into the problem of asking for this part at the dealer, they started asking other questions then tried to get me to just let them fix my problem instead of my mechanic. I was looking into this actuator that you listed, have you heard of the motor part I referred too and is this actuator a part of this possibly??
  • clgibbs2clgibbs2 Member Posts: 2
    Well, it's both of the blower motors that do not work. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I also had asked a mechanic and his response was that there was a faulty computer relay. I did find that if i strat the vehicle slowly, the fan works, if I turn the key quickly, it will not. Since I have duel control, I heard that the Ford Vic vehicals also have the same issue. I check deeper into this. Tha nks for letting me know, I 'll check past postingss for the part number. Thanks again!!!!
  • 1980_impala1980_impala Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas?
    When it stopped, it didn't make any funny noises.
    So... I don't believe the motor, bearings/bushings, brushes or armature are the culprit
    I have looked at the back of the heater control panel all the wires and connections look good.
    I understand dc wiring.
    I just got the car and I don't have a Chevy shop manual yet for wiring diagrams.
    Any thoughts or info would be appreciated...
    Thanks in advance!
    Bob
    On a car that old it could easily be a wire shorting out. I've had a couple of instances on older cars where things went awry, and ultimately found a wire that had been rubbing against a surface for years until it wore through the coating on the wire and shorted out. Not saying that's the case here necessarily, but it's an easy fix if it is (but can be tough to find though).
  • almuerzoalmuerzo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Impala with dual climate control. The passenger side blows hot air regardless of the temp setting. The driver side is fine. I replaced one of the relays (the middle 5-pin one) thinking that it may be the problem. I found that a fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and it instantly popped. I am looking for the wiring diagram but cannot find it. None of the parts houses have them and it will take up to 5 weeks to get a copy of the book here. I understand that the slides (controls) are a printed circuit board and I would have to replace the whole thing if that is the problem. How can I be 100% that is what it is. Where the R/S harness connects to the back of the board, is there a certain voltage to look for? Are there any particular troubleshooting steps to follow? The part at my dealership is $290.00. I just want to be sure that is the problem before I continue to change stuff out and spend a lot of money. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    You've probably already considered this, but you might check a local "you-pull-it" auto parts place and see what a used part might cost. Obviously there's no guarantee on used parts, but when I had a similar problem with my '89 Toyota I think the used HVAC controller costs @ $40, while the new part went for $400. (I still ended up buying the new part eventually, but at least by that point I was able to install it in record time!)
    I'll try it. Thanks.
  • woody20woody20 Member Posts: 7
    Almuerzo, sounds to me like either your air actuator on the passenger side is fried or the vent air arm off the actuator is sticking causing the fuse to blow or you have a short to ground.

Did you find the problem?
    Yeah. Kind of. We traded the car in for a new one. I was not able to pinpoint the problem but it's over now.

Thanks for your respnse.
    So did you stick with an Impala, or go with something else?
    '07 Toyota Camry
    :( All I ask is if/when you have problems with it, share them over on the Camry boards!
    OK
  • bspracklenbspracklen Member Posts: 1
    I have the above vehicle that is giving me some fits. Just a couple of weeks ago the A/C started blowing luke warm. I figured low on freon so I added some and still no cold air. After putting in the freon I noticed the next day that when I accelerated the a/c almost quit blowing and that it was making a squeaky noise like a belt was wet. Does anyone have any suggestions. I really could use the help. Thanks.
    How many miles on the car, and have you ever replaced your serpentine belt? Just thinking if it's the original belt it could be glazed by now, and your compressor pulley could be slipping as a result. If you haven't replaced it by now I would, and that might fix your problem (and if it doesn't, it's still a good idea to replace it). That's probably the simplest answer; if you've already replaced the belt it'll probably be a more complicated/expensive repair.
  • riddick3riddick3 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 01 Impala and the other day the climate control buttons (fan control 1-5, hot/cold, air...) everything- just stopped working. When you turn them it does nothing. Do you know how to help?
    :mad:
    I bet if the problem is isolated to just the climate controls (and no other electronics), you'll end up replacing that whole unit there within the dash.

Seems like before when I had a problem with one of my bulbs burning out I posted a question about trying to get in and replace the bulb, and someone replied that it's a complete unit that can't be opened up and fixed, so you have to replace the entire controller. For a light bulb it wasn't worth it, but if my AC wasn't working in the 100+ degree weather we're having currently, I'd probably spring for a replacement.

I had a similar problem with my previous '89 Toyota Celica; I tried getting a used part at a junk yard, but the used part didn't work either, so I ended up ordering a new one (which was probably 10 years ago, and it cost @ $400). Not sure what the part would cost today on a Chevy, though.
  • cmel81cmel81 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with no driver side heat. I purchased the actuator as previously posted. Was curious if anyone had any experience changing it to guide me in a direction to get to it easily. :confuse:
  • kaleighnmattkaleighnmatt Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 impala, and the a/c will be doing fine and all of a sudden when i go over a bridge (high rise) it cuts off and wont go back on for like WEEKS... any body no whats going on???? :cry:
  • doitmyselfer1doitmyselfer1 Member Posts: 1
    This will let you know how to replace drivers side or the passenger side actuator. Passenger side difference is noted at end of this letter. My 2004 Chevy Impala driver side climate control was stuck on cold, no matter where I switched it to. The light on the panel was also out. Resetting by disconnecting the battery did not work. I had to buy and replace the drivers side actuator (Part Number 15844096 - $38.46 at Chevy dealer). The passenger side actuator is also the exact same part number. They are both located under the dash, about equal height as the climate control knobs. Make sure you disconnect the positive cable on the battery before removing the switch. Drivers side actuator is accessed by removing the bottom dash cover on the drivers side. Two easy clips to disconnect the dash cover, remove the floor courtesy light by twisting, and the cover comes right out. The drivers side actuator is harder to work on than the passenger side, due to room. But I replaced my actuator with only having to take off the bottom dash cover. There are two screws holding the actuator on. I used a 1/4 hand driver with a 3" extension, a 1/4 universal joint for the 1/4 socket (and the universal is needed), and a 7/32" socket. These were the only tools I needed. After unscrewing the two screws, I pulled the actuator off of a small arm it is connected to which switches the flap for the climate control system between hot or cold. I then was able to let it hang down, and disconnected the wire running to the actuator. Room was an issue, and I did some of this by feel. Now comes the tricky part. The new actuator has to slide back on the small arm, but it is flat on two sides, with rounded ends. The new actuator has to match the flat ends to the same position as the old actuator. I hooked the wire onto the new actuator, and let it hang down. I held the old actuator up by it, and had my wife hold the battery connector to the battery to get power. The new actuator will rotate when the connection is made, and stopped rotating when I had my wife pull the connector from the battery. It took a couple tries, but I finally got it to stop at the same position as the old actuator. I then lined up the new switch, and got it on the control arm. This took a few minutes and tries, as I had to do it by feel. I then put the two screws back in and tightened them down. Again, tricky due to room. Once done, I put the cover back on, reconnected battery, and warmed up the car. Was very happy to find that I now had heat on the drivers side, as Michigan weather is cold this time of year. One note is that even though I now had heat, the light on my drivers side control stayed out. I can live with that though.
    The whole job took me about an hour and a half.
    Also, note if you have to replace the passenger side actuator, you need to remove the passenger side bottom cover on the dash. You then remove the glove compartment door by removing the five screws on the bottom of the door. Slide the whole glove compartment door out of the car. You will be happy to know you have much more room to replace the passenger side actuator, so it should be much easier and quicker than the drivers side.
  • kiefk0337kiefk0337 Member Posts: 7
    i hade the exact same problem with my 01 and fixed it! VERY EASY you will need a 1/4" ratchet with a swivell and extention underneith the dash on the passenger side you will find the blower motor once you pull out that clip in plastic cover .. remove the blower it should be three or four screws cant remember exactly. once this is removed you will see at the upper most part inside where the fan was towards the driver side there is a "plastic wire harness" where your six wires from the fan controll come in and leave out to two that go straight to the blower motor its self. there are three of the same size screws holding this in. pull that part out and call your local gm parts dept. with the part number. i tried calling auto zone and advanced where i live but this is not a comon part. the gm place had it in stock for about 50$ and everything works perfect. my friend had the same problem with his 00 grad prix took it in and they charged him about 400-450 he was not happy.. hope this isnt too late good luck
  • lillowlillow Member Posts: 1
    03 impala heater not working. I have already replace the thermostat. Not sure what else to do. Have anyone else had this problem or knows how to resolve?
  • okctahoeokctahoe Member Posts: 4
    This is how General Motors is getting people to buy new cars (hopefully you didn't buy another GM but we did) Had a 2000 Tahoe Limited with very low miles and right after the warranty ran out the computer locked up and the car wouldn't turn over, cost us a 600.00 trip to the dealer and a four day wait on the part so in the meantime we just traded it in on another.....Have a friend that this just happened to on a 2006 Equinox right after the warrnaty ran out GO FIGURE, they are programming this stuff to stop working and then you get irritated enough you just get rid of it.
  • sabriya03sabriya03 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am new here to the forum and needed a little advice. I have an 03 Impala, base model with 55K miles. Last year I had my AC charged it was the first summer I had the car and by September it wasnt getting cold. Does it need to be recharged? :confuse:

Thanks
  • endurancemomendurancemom Member Posts: 8
    I had a new AC Compressor put in my 06 Impala (66,000miles) for total cost of $800 including parts/labor. I had to find the part online as all the local shops had it on backorder. I went to discountacparts.com and got it NEW for about $350. All the dealerships and GM warehouses were quoting $600+ for the part. I had it shipped direct to my repair shop where the guys fixed it in about a 3 hour time window. I was told it's a common part to go bad on these 06 models.
  • 66novss66novss Member Posts: 12
    Gm has been using Nippondenso compressors for the past few years, those compressors are total junk & are expensive to replace. I've replaced several of them over the past few years on various GM products. Unfortunately, our beloved Impalas also use them. Our '06 Impala SS has some compressor noise after its been driven on a long trip while using the AC. I'm sure its only a mater of time before it fails. :(
  • zeogzeog Member Posts: 1
    The driver side climate control of my 2004 chevy impala doesn't work, only code air and no heat regardless of the temp. control. I searched here and found that it might be the problem of driver side temp, actuator. Could somebody tell me how the part look like, where it is located, and how to replace it? It would be great if you have pics for that. Thanks. :confuse:
  • rickmanrickman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the detailed description! I also have an 05 Impala. I got the part for $46.16. That included tax. Once I found out what the part looked like I was able to find it and replace it! The dealer said it would cost $109.00 to change it. A local repair shop said they would do it for $100.00. I did it in an hour and a half an donly had one screw left over. The part was made in China. I took apart the old actuator and it has 3 plastic gears and a motor in it. The gears were still intact. Evidently the motor failed. Yes, the motor said it was made in China. I am guessing the part cost G.M. about $4.00 at most. I am wondering if I should buy another actuator before the price goes up. The passenger actuator is probably right around the corner as far as failure.
  • ppollockppollock Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

The temperature controls work, the fan speed works, everything works except the air comes out half on the feet and half straight ahead and it won't change.

Turn the control knob to set it to feet or face or windshield and nothing happens.

Any ideas how to fix this? it would be so nice to be able to set the air to blow up on the windshield in winter!
  • rohmrohm Member Posts: 1
    Are you asking about the remote start feature? Is it possible to reprogram that the defrost stays on.