Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Performance

vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
The 07 Impala LTZ has a little less HP than the 06, anyone know if the 0-60 times have been affected? I am a little disappointed in this change for an extra 1 or 2 MPG.

Comments

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I would guess that 0-60 times will be similar to '06 models. Most comments on '06 Impalas indicate that the 3.5L and the 3.9L have very similar 0-60 times (the '06 3.5L has 211hp and the '06 3.9L has 242hp). The 3.9L, of course, has more punch for passing and climbing hills.

For '07, the 3.9L has dropped to 233hp, only losing 9hp from last model year (torque is only down 2lb-ft for '07). The power-to-weight ratio only changes by a little more than half a pound (14.68lb/hp vs. 15.25lb/hp). In my opinion, that alone shouldn't be enough to significantly change the acceleration time.

Unfortunately, car magazines tend to bypass the mainstream Impala trims (LT, LTZ) in favor of the SS when they do reviews and instrumented testing. It would be nice to see one of the major publications perform road tests of the top selling trims instead of the performance variants.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I like the LTZ best, it's a nice compromise on power and features. Torque is more important than hp but every one looks at hp.
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    Having driven the '06 and an '07 I preferred the new 100,000 mile warranty that the '07 now has.

Russ
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The new warranty is a 5yr or 100,000mile (whichever comes first) powertrain warranty. Most people will not drive 100,000 miles in 5 years. Average is 60,000-75,000 miles. So, you would most likely only be gaining an extra 24 months of coverage.

I would rather just take the savings on a leftover '06 with the 3yr/36K warranty. If the car turns out to be problematic, you could always buy a GM sponsored extended warranty before the 3/36 ends and still come out ahead versus paying more to start with for the '07 model.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    Here are two cool links for all the baby boomers out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqHPYIUtBM&NR

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Chevrolet+409

The old 409's were fast for their day (early '60s) but were also very heavy and had two four barrel carburetors that had to be kept carefully tuned. Today's Impala SS has electronic fuel injection that's much more efficient. The result is a faster car (0-60 less than 6 seconds) delivered from a small block V8 engine, although purists won't acknowledge a FWD car as a being muscle car.
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Just muscle in a different application. Torque steer is a challenge to overcome just as positraction inducing the rear-end drifting to the right was a challenge to correct for. However, there is something to be said for the torque flexing through the entire frame of the car and the sensations of having the front end lifting and the rear end dropping, full-throttle power shifting with or without the clutch, and the guttural lumpy rumble of a long-duration high-lift wild overlap cam trying to find an rpm to idle.
    Clark
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hi clark & jpstax...
    'Ya, I guess I'm considered one of those good 'ole rear wheel muscle car purists that you are refering to. :) But, you know, I'm not going to get all in a flap about this here and go on and on about this like some do...Wow, maybe there's finally some maturity here... :surprise: Hey, although different, I feel that today's '06 /'07 SS Impala, and all that it intales, is one mighty-fine piece of performance machinery!!
    Ohhhhhh Memmmmmmmories..!! Yes sir reeeeee bob... I can definately still remember sitting at those stop lights in my machine feeling that lumpy long duration / high lift solid lifter cam...Oh boy..!! :blush:
    Thanks for taking me back....!!
    Frank ;)
  • cuffcuff Member Posts: 11
    need help bigtime........have a 2005 impala 3.4........when driving the car at say 35 or 40......car shifts from 2nd to 4th...overdrive....then has no power at all unless you kick it down...just to keep driving it falls on it's face....i need some in put here.........had it to the dealer 3 times now..so far they replaced the converter.......that did nothing.......said it might be the knock sensor.wasn't that........today they said it is retarding the timing when it hit's 40.......i said ok.....fix it.......they told me they told me they don't no why this is doing that.i asked him....trans maybe.he said it shifts fine on his machine.took it for a drive with his machine hooked up and quess what.it fell on it's face....but the machine he had hooked up told him the shifts were fine........here's where i'm at now,car still is not worth a dam.....still have the problem and GM don't no what the problem is.........can any one help please...just bought this car 5 months ago and dtill owe alot......any help would be great.
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    How many Miles on it?
    there's only 63,000 km on it............trans fluid and filter changed at 58,000 km............any ideas
    thats where I was heading...the trans filter....sorry, I don't have any other ideas.
    Hey cuff.

As they say.. it could a million and one different things here.. It's very difficult sometimes to specifically know what the actual problem is mechanically just from a verbal explanation. If anything, I can try to give you some practical advice here... You say that "GM" doesn't know what the problem is ..well cuff, it's their job to FIND OUT and to FIX IT!!. Who do you call GM here... the Service Advisor , Service Manager, Dealership Owner, or the Regional/District Rep. over the Dealership ? How far up the chain have you gone ? Actually, You should have hit them in this order while firmly jumping up and down ... Let us know what you have done here. I don't want to seem like a smart @ss here, but if you don't have a great relationship with this particular Dealership ,why not just go to another..
    Good luck and keep us posted..
    Frank ;)
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    Sounds very much like my 06 problem around that speed. If I am gradually increasing speed, once it shifts to 4th there is an immediate noticeable drop in power and it takes a bit to get it back up.

If I have to maintain the 35-40 speed, according to the service advisor, the trans doesn't know which gear to be in so it causes a sensation of bouncing or vibration. Frank, Bryan or one of the guys suggested putting it into manual 3rd and it does help the situation although it is frustrating to have to do this since I've got 35 & 40 limits on a number of roads I have to travel.

Dealership says it runs as it should.
    was back this morning..the tech at the gm dealer ship i'm at told me the problem lays with the timing going into retard mode when the car shifts into 3rd or 4th gear....and no it is not what it should do.that's why it has no power unless you gas it.it gives no codes or anything.........also tried bypassing the knock sensor,which gives full timing all the time,still didn't work for him...now they realy don't no whats wrong.......left it with them,,,,,getting pissed off....told them to check every which way it works...by that i mean...check the computer,tranny and what ever else makes it click........will let ya no what happens...
    Please do. My engine seems to hit hard at times and I hear a loud ticking almost like a lifter, but the tech says that he can't recreate it and everything checks out normal. It is intermittent and when it is doing it, is loudest when stopped at redlights, but I have heard it even over the horrible wind noise. Which is another thing that makes me really mad. Tech says that's normal too, but it's way too much, and more after they adjusted the driver's door.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Cuff,
    My ex brother-in-law owns a transmission shop and my nephew works for him. I have asked him to ask around and see if they've heard of anything like what you're experiencing. I'll let you know if they come up with anything.

Wanda,
    It was me who suggested using 3rd gear. Now that you're saying it's bumping between 3rd and 4th, would you also describe that sensation as a "shudder"? By shudder, I mean the feeling the torque converter makes with its final engagement and you feel a cushioned little bump. With a shudder, it's that cushioned bump feeling over and over. It goes away if you accelerate or slow down and only exists when you're trying to maintain a steady speed. If so, there's an additive called "Dr. Tranny" that fixed my old car right up. This was after visiting several tranny shops and all said I needed a new torque converter and actually had one replaced under warranty. It was my nephew that suggested I try it. Their shop puts it in every transmission they repair. It costs about $10 and you just pour it into the transmission fluid filler tube.

As for the lifter noise, see if you can isolate the circumestances around it. Is the engine fully heated, warming up, cold? Have you been driving at highway speeds or stop and go? A/C on? The engine ticking has been noted by others with the 3.5L. That's your engine, right?

As for the wind noise, I would test drive a different Impala at the dealership and compare. There seems to be an occasional "bad" Impala out there. When I bought mine, the SS I test drove had bad wind noise but all the other Impalas we drove (at least 4) were fine.

Hope some of this helps. :)

Ron
    Thanks, Ron. Yes, I think it is a shudder I feel. Glad to have someone give me the correct terminology to use. Maybe the mechanics would have understood that better. It also has some vibration in the steering wheel that feels like it might be related to the engine running a little hard.

I've tried to pay attention to the lifter noise and thought it was pretty much after it was fully heated. I've heard it on the Interstate after driving over 100 miles and I've heard it in mixed traffic when stopping at a red light. Then yesterday, I hadn't gone 2 miles and it had that sound. Wasn't fully heated then. Not using AC yet, although it is warming up here in TN (70+ today for first day of spring :shades: )

On the additive, since it is only 6 1/2 mos old, would it affect the warranty if I put an additive in it? This is the first brand new one I've bought in over 20 years. Usually buy used and do regular or minor maintenance myself, but with a new one, I wouldn't want to do anything where they could void the warranty. I even let the dealer do the oil changes because they only charge me $7 for the oil/filters since I bought from them.

Wanda
    thanks ron.....ya let me no if ya find out anything.......car still at the dealer ship with no answers from them yet........before i was mad........no i'm pissed
    Wanda,
    The manufacturer claims it's OK with the manufacturer's but I wouldn't take some guy's word on the internet. ;) Call your dealership or better yet, corporate and ask. Here is the web site for the maker of the additive: http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_shudder_fixx.html

If you do a web search for Dr. Tranny, you'll find plenty of places that sell it.

With the ticking, you're not hearing it while you're actually driving are you? You're talking about after driving on the interstate and then coming to a stop, right?

With the suspected rough engine, try a couple things. While stopped (and feeling the rough idle), shift into park or neutral and see if you notice a difference. Also, try turning on the AC. I've noticed with my engine (and most others), it runs smoother with a slight load on it. If I idle in neutral, mine has a bit of a rough idle. If it's in gear or in neutral with the AC engaged, it smooths out.

I was actually gonna ask the other SS owners about that so if you're reading, let's hear your take. Does the 5.3L run a little rough in neutral but smooth as silk while in gear?

Thanks all and get back with us, Wanda...
    Ron
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    i have had my transmission replace already and there is a bullitin to replace the 2 and 3 clutch as well as the 3 and 4 clutch. when they did this is was worse and i got a new transmission. i have an 06 ss
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    'I was actually gonna ask the other SS owners about that so if you're reading, let's hear your take. Does the 5.3L run a little rough in neutral but smooth as silk while in gear?'

Not really rough but it does sound like a bag of marbles on start up (not unlike the sound made by a slack top timing chain on an XK Jaguar). I'm wondering if this is due to an undue delay in oil pressure build up.

Also, some time back I got a really noisy lifter tick after a start in cold weather. That seems to have gone now a few more thousand miles have been added.

Martin
    When I first got my SS it made it a little ticking on a cold morning, I havn't noticed any other ticking at any other time.
    Hi Guys...
    If I'm not mistaken here, all the '06 & '07 Impala models, including the SS, share the same hydralic roller valve lifters.
    Sometimes in cold weather, and/or when it's been sitting too long, you will hear a slight ticking sound on start up until all the lifters fill with oil.
    Just maybe.....

Frank ;)
    Thanks, all. Ron, I have heard the ticking when I was in slower traffic, say creeping along, but, yes, most of the time it is when coming to a stop and idling. In thinking about it on the interstate, I think I heard it then when I had to come to a stop because of a wreck. I had driven over 100 miles at the time so it was good and warmed up. I have heard it at morning start up including the last couple of days, but temp was upper 50's yesterday and low 60's today when I went out.

I have tried shifting it to park and other gears and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I hear it more than feel it. It makes me wonder, though, if that is what is happening when I feel the shudder driving between 30 and 55 mph.

Wanda
    Oh, and I have a couple new rattles I've heard the last few days from the glove box area. Thought maybe it was the couple CD cases in it so took them out. Still there. Leaned over and held the glove box door firmly with my hand. . . no more rattle. Seems to have gone the way of my hood latch and is loosening up. The other one is coming from the steering column and I've only heard it a couple of isolated times. (Guess they won't be able to recreate the problem on that one.) :(

I may just wait and hit the GM rep with this one as well instead of an extra trip to the shop. I'd like to take him on a trip down the hwys I drive and let him hear the wind, tires and rattles, and feel the power changes, etc. Wonder if he'd give up an hr of his time. They test it on city streets for the most part where you have lots of noise interference from other vehicles and the speed is lower so the problems are not as evident.
    Last time I took my Impala out for a ride I thought I heard a slight metallic rattle coming from underneath. So, being a nice day here in New Jersey today I took her for a nice ride. Once at a light and once making a turn I heard that sound again. Nothing big, but I needed to know where and what it was. So, when I returned home, I crawled under the car (partly) being careful not to touch the hot exhaust system, I shook the system with a block of wood and , yes there was the problem!! The first bend in the pipe back from the muffler the heat shield was hitting right on that bend in the pipe!! So I waited for things to cool down and slightly bent that section of the heat shield away from that bend.....problem fixed!! Took it back out on another run and it was fine. It was just hitting very slightly, to the point that I don't think I heard it when the car was cool. The heat probably expanded both the pipe and the heat shield just enough for them to rub against each other. Anyway , just letting everyone know in case you should encounter a similar problem. (This is on the SS, other systems may not be effected) See, I have things go wrong too!!...BTW, My Onstar light was green all day today.....no way will it go to the dealers!! ..............talk later............... :)
    Wanda,
    I'm going to guess that it's a "normal" ticking caused by lower oil pressure at lower RPMs. Since all 3.5Ls don't do it, I wouldn't actually call it normal, just maybe "normal" for your particular car.

Frank, you have the 3.5L, right? It has been the 3.5L that has had a few others mention the ticking, right?

I wouldn't think the ticking is related the shuddering you're feeling but I wouldn't want to say for sure without seeing the car.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ron :confuse:
    Hi Ron.

Yes, I do have the 3.5L, and you know, I don't have
    any of the lifter ticking problem what so ever, at any time. To the best of my knowledge, while not wide spread, yes a few have mentioned it here...Wonder what this one is all about..???

Frank ;)
  • 303ss303ss Member Posts: 5
    Anyone notice that the 5.3 small block is cleaning up at Nascar?
  • carnut444carnut444 Member Posts: 27
    On NASCAR, I didn't know that. Do the engines have Displacement On Demand like the Impala 5.3?
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    Actually it's a highly modified 5.7 liter small block engine that's used by NASCAR racecars. It makes 750 HP.
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hello! I've had my '07 Impala just over a week and loving it! I do have one very slight concern, and I plan to take it back to the dealer in the next few days, but I wouldn't mind other takes on it as well. (by the way, this is the 3.5 L V6). The car seems to shift a little "stiffly" or "roughly" -- I'm not sure how best to describe it. I can feel it more at low speeds.

Now this car was a sales demo that had just under a thousand miles on it when I took it off the lot last week, so I would think/hope that if the salesman driving it noticed anything funky, he would have had somebody check it out. I could easily put it off to "it's a new engine and it's just a little stiff" but on the outside chance it IS something more, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also drove the same car for seven years so it may be that I'm just not used to the feel of it yet.

The car, is of course, totally under warranty so I'm not worried about cost. But I'd be interested in hearing from other folks --- new car getting broken in or actually something maybe not right? :confuse:

I'm thinking I'll run by the dealer Friday afternoon. In the meantime, I'd love to hear from some other folks who have new(er) Impalas. Thank you! :)
    Karen
  • shop4unowshop4unow Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my '07 Impala. I've had it since Memorial Day weekend, and purchased it with 600 miles on it from the dealership. It has a funky clicking/dragging feel to it - mostly when decellerating and driving in city traffic. I've taken it to two different dealerships now, one who said they checked it out and could not find anything, the other who changed the oil and told me to bring it back for further investigation.

Before I go back to the dealership of my choice, I'd like to be armed with some useful information. My husband drove it and could also feel it (slightly). My daughter drove it and could feel it. But, they do not drive it on a daily basis like I do. I know something is not right. I would appreciate if anyone else could help out with this problem - knowing if there are any recalls. I'm driving the car hoping it doesn't break down at any minute. :sick: Thanks!
  • bkhartbkhart Member Posts: 2
    I have taken my 2002 impala to the shop 2 or 3 times for a vibration or shuddering in the engine ---i am assuming. Everytime they get in the car they tell me they do not feel it. The last time that i took my car to the shop it was doing it just about everytime i would get in the car. I don't feel the vibration in the steering wheel and i have had my tires and front end checked and they tell me they are fine. When i am going down the road the vibration starts at about 25mph and will let up at 60mph but at 70 it starts again. If i let off of the accelarator the vibration goes away. Could you tell me what this is because apparently these mech. have no clue and they are looking at my car. By the way when i took it in for this problem they told me that my intake manifold gasket was bad so they replaced that, the water pump and thermostat. They said that my car had never had a tune up so they did that and an oil change and one other thing but charged me 1100.00. He told me that the tune up should solve the problem with the vibration. Well it didn't. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.