Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Steering/Suspension

1235»

Comments

• ticadooticadoo Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu with 45,000 miles on it. Summer of 2010 (40,000 miles) the power steering started acting up so I had it replaced at my own cost (the dealer I purchased it from is out of business). Now, less than a year later (with the new power steering unit), the power steering goes out intermittently; has almost caused me to have several accidents. What is the solution? Is there going to be a recall? This problem is extremely dangerous!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    do you have the malibu classic or the new platform for 04...both were produced in that same MY....the new designed didnt have power steering unit...thus the reason for my question...it has an electronic assist for the steering.....

what did the dealer replace...steering column...or an actual power steering unit?
  • amykrajamykraj Member Posts: 1
    :( A similar thing happened to me 2x in one week on a 2004 Malibu. Monday morning as I was pulling out of the driveway it happened, car went in for $500 repair (this was the power steering and one other minor repair), pickup on Wednesday, and back in the shop Thursday morning for same thing. Technician said this is becoming a commonality. Through diagnostic tests, they determined the source of the problem were the sensors in the steering column. They are replacing the entire column today, as the sensors are embedded and not able to be fixed outside of replacement.
    I have a malibu classic. The entire power steering unit was replaced.
    your power steering unit was replaced not your steering column correct since you have the classic...
  • eddie92eddie92 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Chevy Malibu LS is now a huge money pit. Purchased the car new in 2001 and is costing me an arm and a leg just to keep it on the road. Unfortunately I have no choice at the moment. So here's my problem. . . The steering was working fine but the pump was starting to make some noise. After a check up my mechanic recommended I replace the rack/pinion because it was leaking oil from the seals. The pump was also replaced. Now I'm having issues with the steering getting tough after the car warms up. Took it back to the shop and they re-bled the system. Again, steering feels great up until I get 3 or 4 miles into my trip and "wham" starts to get tough again. Very dangerous because I would never be able to steer quickly in an emergency. It's back in the shop and it seems like my mechanic is clueless as to the problem. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestion (other than "drive it into the nearest lake") would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Ed
  • ivy12ivy12 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 malibu lt with electronic assist power steering and power steering periodically goes out resulting in extremely difficult to steer car. if i pull off the road, turn off the car, then turn it back on, steering returns. i have read other's comments and many have said they have same problem. would you have address to nhtsa so i could file complaint. also phone numer where i could contact gm. also i was able to find a power steering assembly to put into the car and was wondering if any certified mechanic could install or just a chevy dealership had to install. also i am now getting a whirring noise that sounds like coming from under dash and was told by chevy service dept. that this is probably the p. s. assembly. any assist you could be would be appreciated. my name is ivy. thanks
    if you have the first redesigned MY 04 malibu, you dont have a power steering assmbly....its an electronic assist steering column....thus no assembly like the normal power steering you may be use too...if it continues to go out, it may simply need a reflash of the ECM. Most times its a complete failure of the column resulting in the problem you describe which isnt normally correctable with turning the engine on and off....that what leads me to think it may be an ECM issue.

You can google the NHTSA and file the complaint....you might try contacting GM for assistance, however with a 8 year old MY car now, I doubt you will get any help....what yours mileage? I have a 04 Maxx LT with 195K on it which I just handed down to my stepson....lucky to have had no problems at all with the car.
  • jcwilkensjcwilkens Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Malibu . The power steering goes out with out any warning. SIf i turn the car off and back on, sometime it is ok. When this happens it is bery difficult to steer. my mechanic has looked and cannot find anything. This started happening when it had about 30K miles and has continued on and off since. I now have 50K miles and it is happening more.
    edited January 2012
    do a search here for electronic assisted steering...there are a set of contacts on the column that sometimes cause issues...there were cases of the contacts getting dirty and not working properly as I recall....do the search and see what you can find....I was fortunate...no problems with my steering column after 195K
  • gigi169gigi169 Member Posts: 1
    I have 65,000 miles on this car. I was turning today in a parking lot and thought I heard something pop but obviously everything seemed to be okay except my power steering went out and it showed it on the computer on my dashboard. Obviously I didn't know this car had electronic power steering so I raised the hood looking for where you would put power steering fluid and obviously I didn't see it. So I pulled out my manual and it said the 4 cyl Malibu's have electronic power steering. If you have a problem with it to take it in. This is the first time this has happened to me so I closed the hood, turned off the engine and waited. I started the car back up within five minutes and everything was back to normal. Is there a recall on this power steering that I missed or something? It seems as though reading other posts that this car has been having this problem for quite a while. Any suggestions?
  • rhartm412rhartm412 Member Posts: 1
    GM issued a recall for the '05 malibu maxx for a steering related issue. it probably applies to the '04 also.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Dorman sells the replacement torque sensor if anyone has to courage to change one, before that full column replacement only.
  • eileen7eileen7 Member Posts: 7
    I had the steering column replaced in sept 2009 ($700 which Chevy refused to reimburse any of). So far (Jan 2012), no further problems.
  • christyechristye Member Posts: 1
    We got a letter from Chevy dated June 2012 and it was for the Power steering issue that you are having. if you need a copy I will send you a copy via email. so far we have had no problems, we have had ours 5 years and have a little over 80K miles and just changed the front brakes for the first time so I was happy about that. But of course as soon as I said that we have had really good luck with the car and I didnt knock on woodwe are just now starting to have issues with the tire pressure sensors and the turn signal switch is busted and I dont see any recall info on it. Cant wait to pay it off! I really like Chevy's But this stinks!
  • elainep1966elainep1966 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I have a 2004 Malibu My power steering just stops working. This has happened several times. I have almost had several accidents because of this. I found 176 people on one website that is also having this problem. Chevy has not recalled the 2004 for it. However that did recall the 2005 for the same problem. That only because someone died in the car due to the power steering problem. Wow now I feel safe. I am a single mom I cant pay $600.00 for a maybe fix. They cant promise after replacing the steering column it will even fix the problem. I cant buy a new car. They need to take responsibility for there mess up. Guess I have to wait till someone dies in the 2004 before they fix it and who knows I might be the one that does.

facebook connect
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning elainep1966,
    We're sorry to hear that you're feeling unsafe in your Malibu as a result of this power steering concern you're having. If we can check into this further with you, please contact us at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, a brief recap of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • amy0802amy0802 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway you can send me the copy of the letter. I came across the same problem and i dont recall receiving a letter. Im planning to take it to the shop tomorrow i feel very unsafe.
  • wwilliams4wwilliams4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 chevy malibu and i just had the same problem that i have been reading about. The steering wheel moves back and forth while sitting still. I went to drive away from my house the other morning and i could not steer the car and the message on the dash said power steering. i parked it and turned the car off and restarted it and it seemed ok. i was afraid to drive it so i had it towed to the dealer and they told me it would cost me $1400 to repair it. This problem clearly falls under the recall issue of the malibu. someone please help, i cannot afford to pay $1400 to fix this. GM should cover this with the recall.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Are you already in contact with Customer Assistance, Wayne? If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

I am STILL having problems with my power steering. NO HELP from GM. The odd thing is, it only does it in hot temps. This should be a recall. I've paid to have it replaced once. IT IS DANGEROUS. My car only has 59,000 miles on it :lemon:
  • fastrobplusfastrobplus Member Posts: 1
    I'm having similar issues with my Saturn Aura (Chevy Malibu LTZ)

I got this car last year with 29K miles on it. It’s now got 30K.
    It’s begun making crazy creaky noises when I turn right (either parked of moving)
    I took it to the dealership who replaced a strut and charged me for it, then I took it back and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft and charged my warranty.
    I’m not sure how they thought it was fixed, it always makes noise when turning. They seem to truly have no clue what to do. The third time I took it in, they kept it and the next day called me with “Good news! You don’t have a problem at all, GM says this is common for these cars! And we don’t have to fix anything!”

Obviously, I'm outraged. I’ve escalated to GM corporate and am getting ready to go to the BBB and WA State Attorney General.

The dealership and GM says this is common in the Saturn Aura and late model Chevy Malibu sedans and has no need to be fixed. Would you buy a car that sounds like this?
    http://youtu.be/ohDbxtHSWm0
  • highside88highside88 Member Posts: 1
    yes please send me a copy i have a 2008 chevy malibu and the power steering is messing up bad twitching from right to lrft and goes out completly thank you..
    highside88,

Let us know if you would like for us to check into anything further for you (warranty/recall questions, working with a dealership, etc). We can be reached at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

• mahpomahpo Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 chevy malibu the power steering completly failed when i was doing a uturn i had previously went to a chvey dealership complaining about the power steering and they told me nothing is wrong. Now they say i have to come out of pocket almost $900.00 for a known issue because the special coverage does not apply to my issue. I am beyond mad! This is a known issue and these cars should have been recalled im not going to pay for something that should of been fixed, and if I have to I will be getting an attorney to sue GM this is riduculous.

MAHPO!!!!!
  • anni41anni41 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I have a Chevy Malibu 2007, it needs power steering fixed again. It was fixed in 2009 cost over $1200. Now i have to get it fixed again.
    It is not covered, I don't think i should have to pay for this a second time. It is plan as day after reading other posts that all Malibu's have steering problems.
    This car is unsafe to drive, it has nothing to do with the way i drive it, If I die driving it to the dealer then will it be a recall?
    I don't believe this is happening to me again and i will never buy another Gm car in my life. Shame on GM for not taking responsibility for this over whelming problem the Malibu's have with steering.
  • anni41anni41 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I also have same problem except this is the second time for me. Nothing but trouble with steering, it is a safety issue and they should recall these LEMONS!!! All years not just 2005. Would like to hear more about your issue. Thanks
    Hi anni41,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your Malibu. I would like to look into this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is [email protected] "attn Crystal" in the subject line. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • anymouse1anymouse1 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 2004 malibu maxx into the dealer and they are currently replacing the steering rack and doing the TSB regarding the control module/grounding issue with the electric power steering. this cost is going to total over 1500.00. Has any recall been issued? This is bad to hear not just the 04's but he 04-07 models are all having these problems.
    I've had mine replaced, but when the outside temp gets hot, it does it again. No recall that I've been able to find. THIS IS A DANGEROUS situation. I've barely escaped numerous accidents.
  • rezierezie Member Posts: 2
    I brought my 2005 malibu maxx into the dealer today with a case no. from GM with the steering problems. It is suppose to be covered by the GM dealer is shying away from helping me and wanting $1,100 plus taxes for the fix. I am so upset as I don't have the $1100.00 right now and don't know what to do. GM said they will call me back before the end of their shift trying to get the dealership to do the work. They don't want to do it as it does not make them any money and the part they put in in 2008 is defective as I did less than 30,000 miles in five years and now I need another steering column and steering gears replaced a second time. I hate this car!!!! The GM dealer never wants to do the work.
  • rezierezie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx and have had steering problems when I first purchased the car and now again. I have the original bill stating that it was fixed and after less than 30,000 miles the problem is back. :( The GM dealer does not want to fix without $1,100 plus tax. I am freaking out as I don't have $1,100.00 to fix car - don't know what to do!!!! Lost I need help. GM says that it is covered under some special coverage, the dealer does not want to own up to this fact. Now GM is arguing with the dealer and will call me back at end of day. I will speak with dealer I guess at the end of the day. Help!!!!!
  • mahpomahpo Member Posts: 2
    GM is stating that they can only cover half off which will still cost almost $500.00. I am almost finished paying my car off and they have lost a customer for life. People please be aware when you think about buying any GM cars they are not safe at all. I will be starting a campaign to warn others of the dangers of driving GM cars. Since 2009 to present I have went to a few GM Dealerships and they all told me that my car was safe to drive. I was still having problems and went to tiresplus and they told me that there was a problem with the power steering and then again took it to a GM Dealership and they stated that there was no problem. I think GM plants should be shut down if they are not able to produce safe drivable cars.

Again, even if you reach out to GM they are still not going to do anything since they stated that do not see a problem with the power steering on 2006 + car models.

MAHPO!!!
  • shanipshanip Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I had the same problem with my 2005 Maxx. Contact GM because I received a recall letter that stated that this is a known problem. It's an extended recall that requires the car to have less than 150,000 miles or is less than 10 years old (whichever comes first) to qualify for the free repair. Mine was fixed last month free of charge. Good luck.
  • freeljuliefreeljulie Member Posts: 1
    The other day in Dunkin Donuts drive thru (go figure), my power steering went. I got the maintenance light on the dash, as well as a power steering failure alert on the dash/radio. I restarted my car, and haven't lost power steering since.

Took it to the dealership and they wanted to charge me $989 for a new steering column.

They refused to let me drive/tow my car off the lot and let it sit for two weeks at my house until I had the money to pay for repairs, but that's a WHOLE different story.

A friend is a mechanic and offered to do the work. What recommendations do you have for purchasing my own steering column, either online, second hand/refurbished vs. new.

Thanks! I'm even hesitant to let a friend do the work, but money is tight right now.
  • rwelkertrwelkert Member Posts: 1
    I had my steering linkage checked and replaced due to the recall back in 2005/06. I did not have any issues but had to have it fixed due to the recall. Ever since there has been a clunking in the steering column especially if the steering wheel is turned to the left. Now the power steering sensor is coming on as well if I step on to the gas hard to pass and the steering gets really tight for a few seconds.
    The dealership told me that even recall repairs are only covered for 90 days. I have been driving this way for years now waiting for the recall to happen again but now it is becoming more of a constant problem. Why is GM not standing behind the constant problem.
    I have had many Gm vehicles but it may be time to move over to Ford for my next vehicle.
    I really love the fuel economy and the roominess of the Malibu but I am not happy with the unwillingness to solve this problem
  • ascott84ascott84 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same model car and I just got it less then a week ago. I was told my the dealership that it was because of electric steering. But when I called GM customer service they said it is a know issue about the steering in the make a model but not enough to do a recall on the vehicle steering.
  • ascott84ascott84 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my car 1 week and I'm the second owner of the car. I cranked the car and the wheel yanked from left to right. I was told that the car has electric steering but it should not do it while I was driven. Totally wrong I the first time It did it I was driven about 30 miles when the steering yanked out my hand to the right forcing me to drive on the grass lucky I didn't hit anything else or hurt myself. But it does it a random times. I called GM customer service 0 help at all . They told me we are aware of the issue but not enough complaints for a recall. I've contacted Consumer Affairs and www.Safercar.gov to make them aware this is a issue . I suggest everyone does the same .
    I have called and reported it to so many places I have lost count. No help from anyone! The situation of power steering going out at random times is becoming increasingly dangerous!! My car only has 65,000 miles on it! I have replaced the steering once. No sense in replacing it again, because it does not help! Something needs to be done!
    Hi ticadoo,

I can understand the frustration you're feeling about your power steering and apologize that you're experiencing this vehicle issue. Have you already started a case with GM Customer Service? If not, we'd like to note this within our system. Please feel free to email us at [email protected] as we would like to try and assist with this situation.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • nmunafonmunafo Member Posts: 1
    You can add me to the growing list of Malibu owners with a steering problem. My 2007 Chevrolet Malibu gives me a rattling and noise from and through the steering column at times, and while annoying, I could live with it. However, what I cannot live with is the fact that my steering wheel now will move on its own, jumping left and right. This problem comes and goes, and it has even expanded to locking steering out a few times. Having to fight my steering wheel while driving at highway speeds during my hour long daily commute is an incredible amount of stress.

While I have read a lot about this problem, it seems like no one know exactly what the issue is. Who do I contact to get this problem corrected?
  • wyattstorchwyattstorch Member Posts: 1
    Greetings folks,

A few weeks ago, I was driving around 70 MpH on an Interstate, passing a semi, and wound up spinning out, doing a full 360 and stopping about ten feet into a grassy median. My car was undamaged other than one tire eventually going down, though I had to be towed out of the median (it was wet). My tires had about 45000 miles on them (same as the car itself), so figured I would replace all of them, and did...with Michelin Defenders, which are apparently excellent tires. I had Pep Boys do the alignment as they did the tire install, but after making my 200 mile round trip commute (I drive 100 miles to and from a University twice per week), my car still felt very loose after I got up to around 70 MpH. Truly, it felt as though I were driving through heavy gusts of wind, even on a calm day. So I took it back in to Pep Boys, and they checked the alignment...and sure enough, it was quite far out again. They redid it, and also inspected other elements of my steering / suspension at my request...and they concluded that everything was fine. On Tuesday, I did my usual commute, and the car felt quite loose yet again. I took it back in to Pep Boys one more time yesterday, and they checked the alignment, various other elements etc., and it came back inconclusive.

At this point, it seems as though I am just imagining things...and yet the results are legitimate. If I'm driving along and take my hands off the wheel, the car will sometimes take a fairly sudden lurch to the left, or sometimes the right. When passing other vehicles of virtually any size, the air differential is far more noticeable than it ever was before.

So I guess what it comes down to is this: do you reckon that this is, in fact, just my imagination, or does my description give you any hints as to what might be the issue? It's not undriveable, but I don't feel comfortable going above the speed limit. It doesn't feel completely safe to me, yet I'm not going to take it back to Pep Boys yet again without a good idea of what the problem might be. I'm new to the area I'm in, so haven't found a good mechanic who might actually spend a lot of time trying to find the problem, as opposed to just doing the basic checks.

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shaun
  • desireeb91desireeb91 Member Posts: 1
    Hello im having the same issue with exact same car and would like a lil more information on this recall, where can this be located so I can have some sort of documentation to show gm. Please help me here!
  • mr_smithmr_smith Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu and I am hearing squeaking/rubbing sound from inside when making turns. Anybody know the cause??
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Although I traded in my '04 Malibu Maxx 7 years back, I do remember 2 of many recalls: its steering column had intermittent electrical contacts (caused steering wheel to pulse/shake), and the intermediate shaft universal joint between the steering rack and and steering power unit was generating clunks and pops. Those were fixed on my Maxx before trade-in.
    Although the Maxx had good seats and was a fine trip car, it had many suspension and trim issues and poor extended warranty support. It was my last GM car.
  • Needhelp913Needhelp913 Member Posts: 1
    Brought a 2005 Chevy Malibu for my daughter after 2 months the steering wheel is jumping left to right I'm afraid for her. She needs her car to continue school but when I called gm they claim there is no recall. I go to the dealer they want $1400 to replace the steering column and tells me that the Chevy Malibu presents this problem...what? I own a 2009 gmc Acadia that is having the engine replaced due to faulty design for $8520 that is with no help from gm. I really want to buy American but I'm not seeing foreign car with as many problems GM should be as loyal to its customers as we have been to them...ugh!!