Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Lighting

sergio19sergio19 Member Posts: 90
edited July 2014 in Hyundai
Hi,
My first post here...found this board while googling.
I have HID lights installed on my Azera. I would love to put a picture here but haven't got the slightest clue how to.
If someone could help I'd be happy to do so.
BTW. absolutely love my Azera! :shades:

Kind regards,
">

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Just upload pics to your carspace page and we can go look at them.
  • sergio19sergio19 Member Posts: 90
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

">

">

">

">

">
    ">

The yellow reflection is from the lights bouncing of my wooden fence which is about 2 feet away from the front end.
    Hope you enjoy the pictures. I am thrilled to death with the brightness of the HID kit that I installed.

Regards
    Hey, sergio...those HID's do look sweet! They would look even better with the all clear headlights found @ www.koreanautoimports.com...
    All you would do is install an amber bulb so it would still flash yellow!

Did you install the HID's yourself???
    allmet33,

I agree that it would look better with the clear headlights but not for now anyways...
    and yes I did install them myself. It's very easy to do the installation part of it...the hard part is finding where to place the ballast and starter.

You have HID's installed too?
    Do you like'em too?

Regards,
    How long did it take for you to install the HID's and if you don't mind me asking...where did you place the ballast and starter? I don't have the HID's yet, but I'm heavily considering them!

I definitely like 'em!
    It took between 2 and 3 hours to install.
    Facing the car on the left side I tie-wraped the whole assembly to the windshield washer tube and on the right side I tie-wraped it very close around some cable.
    Sorry I couldn't be more explicit but if I have to I can take pictures and upload it.

Get'em you won't regret it.
    I find myself driving at night with the kids not only for the ride comfort and the enjoyment of riding my Azera but to also go to dark places just to enjoy the brightness of the bulbs!

Regards,
    LOL You sound too much like me! I already try to make excuses to go places just to drive my 'Zera a lil more. I'll certainly be looking into the HID set up for mine. Thanks for the info.
  • christy7christy7 Member Posts: 21
    Okay, guys, dont' laugh at my question. I don't know anything about Xenon, HID, etc. etc. But, I've read several posts where many of you are replacing your headlights, (or bulbs..). Does this have any thing to do with the "headlight cut off" problem in the Azera? I will be hopefully making a deal on an Azera, but that headlight cut off thing bothers me some. I test drove an Azera, and fell in love with it, but I live on a dark backroad, and the cut off was very noticeable.
    So, my question is, what type of modification would I need to do to my Azera to get rid of the cut off problem? It also seems that the lights on dim just don't project out very far.
    If I'm asking this in the wrong thread, let me know....
    Thank you in advance for your help!
    Christy
    Christy7,

There have been several posts in the Azera 2006+ forum about the cut off problem for the headlights. I've read some that said they changed bulbs and the problem went away. Changing to the HID system would seem to be another answer as you're changing the type of light being used altogether.

Personally...I haven't noticed a cut off problem with mine, but...I also live in a metro area where there's a lot of street lights.

If money is a concern, maybe you should try changing to a different bulb and see if that solves your problem. I'm pretty sure that Sergio will chime in and let you know if he has the cut off problem with his newly installed HID's.

Good luck!
    Christy7,

I have to be honest...the cutoff is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. I have complained to the dealer about it and have asked them to raise the lights a little and they refused cause of security reasons. I told them that it's MY security!
    There's a BMW dealer right next door from them and they all play hockey together and BMW has had ALOT of complaints about their cars equiped with HID's.

I will probably find another source who will do it for me. There's nothing you can do about the cutoff no matter what bulbs you put in. The cutoff is inside the housing and cannot be changed I beleive.

Maybe I'll take a picture of the beams projecting off a wall and upload it here one day.

With the HID kits the cutoff is more pronounced.
    I'm sure once the lights are raised it WON'T be an issue anymore so I'm not to worried about it all that much. They are extremely bright!

I have driven in very dark areas and with the high beans on the visibility is very good.
  • eclaixpeclaixp Member Posts: 46
    I am planning to get HIDs. May I ask you where did you get them and how much did you pay? Also, what color temp did you get? Was it easy to install? Can you please send me some pics of the installation? My email is eclaixp@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.
    I am planning to get HIDs. May I ask you where did you get them and how much did you pay? Also, what color temp did you get? Was it easy to install? Can you please send me some pics of the installation? My email is eclaixpyahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

I live in the greater Montreal area and bought them in Laval on the North Shore. I bought Helios H7 6000K kit. I paid $420.00 tax in canadian funds. I was told that Helios are a very good brand for HID's. It is very easy to install, the hard part is finding where to place the starter and ballasts.
    Let me see what I can do regarding some pictures.

Regards,
    I just purchased a pair of HID H7 4300k. How are the 6000k, do they have too much blue tint? Your pics do not seem to show any blue tint. I just dont want my 4300k to be yellow at all. Please let me know ASAP as I may reconsider and get the 6000k instead. Hope they haven't ship them yet.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Does anyone know where the adjustments for headlight direction and height are located? I sees everal bolts/screws near the headlight housing, but it looks more like these are holding the housing in polace than adjusting the lighting position.

I have PIAA replacement bulbs and would like to raise the low beam pattern a bit.

Any help is appreciated. Pics are a big plus.
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    My question to all is will changing the headlights to HID's change or alter the warranty, in any way? :confuse:
    eclaixp,

My 6000K HID kit does definately have a blue tint.
    I did want a little blue but I was mostly interessted in output (lumens) intensity. They suggested I go with the 6000K because they are bright and also have a little blue tint.

Hope things work out for you.

Regards,
    I guess I'll better stay with 4300k. Could you please email me close-up pics of your installation? I have never installed HIDs so this would help me out a lot. Thanks.
    "It took between 2 and 3 hours to install.
    Facing the car on the left side I tie-wraped the whole assembly to the windshield washer tube and on the right side I tie-wraped it very close around some cable.
    Sorry I couldn't be more explicit but if I have to I can take pictures and upload it. "

Sergio, mind taking some pics of your installation, I should be getting the HID on Tuesday and would like to install them right away. Thank you.
    Since I couldn't wait for sergio's pic, I installed them yesterday and it was a walk in a park. I was at first intimidated at the instructions as I've never done this beofre. They lool awesome. Hope they last. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
    Here are some pics of my Azera SE with HIDs. They are 4300K as I wanted bright white without blue tint. Please note that pics show more brightness than what it is actually + a hint of blue, however, there's no blue tint at all. I love them! Enjoy!

Wow...they look very bright! Looks great to me.
    How did the installation go?
    I don't think it was to hard correct?

I'm sorry I didn't have time to post some pics of my installation. I was gone all week...sorry.

Regards,
    Installation was easier than I thought. 30 mins top. The hardest was when handling the bulbs into the headlight assemblies, running the wires appropiately, and deciding where to place the ballastss. I made the holes in the caps by using a tool that you use with a drill (sorry I can't be more specific). Perfect holes. I used double sided tape to glue the ballasts. Did not need the brackets. One is taped to the battery and the other to the windshield liquid tank. No movement whatsoever. I do suggest that you buy HID with built in ignitors and that includes harness relay + a good warranty. I bought mine with 5 year warranty.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Nice pics - thanks for posting them. :)
  • live4techlive4tech Member Posts: 24
    Those lights look beautiful, and of course the Azera is a beautiful car to begin with. Maybe Hyundai is watching and we can expect factory HID in the near future, all at a lower price than the competition and with even better quality.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    eclaipx - what brand and model number did you purchase that gives you a 5 year warranty? Did you tap into the battery or use the factory harness that feeds the factory bulbs to power the ballast/ignitor?

I am looking at both a Phillips kit and a McCulloch. Was told both were excellent kits.

Thanks
    I bought them from a seller on eBay (genuine_auto). However, the distributors are: http://www.xenonlightsource.com/
    I got the 4300K H7 kit. They come with a standard 3 year warranty but for an additional $29.99 you can get 2 more years for a total of 5 years. I worked out a deal with the seller and got em for less than $220. Also, it came with the harness relay which I used for the installation. I just hope the company doesn't go bankrupcy on me within 5 years.
    BTW, I got my HID 5 days after sending payment via Paypal.
  • cajazzfancajazzfan Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone replaced the headlights on an Azera with either the GE Nighthawks or Sylvania bulbs? If yes, what product code? I have an '07 I want to change to brighter lights.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    Cajazzfan,
    I went with Narva Rangefinder+50 bulbs bought from Daniel Stern lighting. They are German made and made a big difference in the Azzie. The website was very helpful.
    Eclaixp - thanks for lead. Found the same kit and trying to decide whether to go for the 4300K or the 6000K. I am most interested in the brightness and not the blue colorization.

Looks like $189 plus shipping...can't wait to see the difference in my 07 Sonata Limited!

Wish I could be more like you guys..you know rich and all :) I love the Azera but just couldn't scrape up enough dough :cry:
  • tedztedz Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to get a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs for my low beam.... Sylvania WEB site does not list the Azera... the local auto stores have no idea.... gave them the number in the owers book PX26d... need HELP... Thanks
  • tedztedz Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone gotten back to you on this ??? I am trying to get the same information... Thanks
    I am not sure if I follow you but I believe you only need to know your bulb type which is H7. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
    cableguy06,

Definetely go for the 4300k for brightness. 6000k will give u blue tint and less brightness guarantee. If I were you, I'd contact the seller and offer him a reasonable lower price. Email me @ eclaixp@yahoo.com if you want more details. Don't want to post prices in forums.
    Just shot you an e-mail. Looking forward to our conversation!
  • markn455markn455 Member Posts: 7
    What size spare do you have in your 2007 Azera? The 2006, all had full size spares. My 2007 has a space saver spare. :( If you have a 2007 check yous spare tire size and let us know here.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    All 2007's come with compact spare.
    All 2006's came with full size spare mounted on same wheel as is on 4 other wheels
    Hi guys,

Recently I had installed HIDs on my Azera SE: refer to post # 23.

There's something I don't like about the headlights. They seem to be misaligned? When I stand and crouch in front of the center of the car looking at the headlights, the driver side headlight outputs a brighter light as shown in the pic below:

image">

At first, I thought there was something wrong with my HIDs so I switched the bulbs around (from left to right and vice versa) but this didn't make any difference (driver headlight still brighter).

I then changed to original OEM bulbs (completely removed HID) and still same results (driver bulb brighter). Also, while driving, I noticed the lighting output was broader on the co-pilot side as shown in the pics below (All pics below were taken with OEM bulbs installed, not HID):

Pic of headlight output when close to a wall (can't see much wrong):

Pic of headlight farther away:

Pic showing weird broader output to the right side:

As you can see, the light expands towards the right and then up. This also happened when I had HIDs installed.

Could some of you please take a detailed look at your headlights and let me know if you are also experiencing this? Stand and crouch in front and center of the car with your low beams on, do you notice if your driver bulb is brighter? Also, do your headlights output similar pattern than mine? I plan to take it to the dealer to see if they can fix this but before I'd like to hear from you. I'll greatly appreciate any help on this. Sorry for making this so long. (Sergio19, if you are reading this, could you please take a pic of the ouput of your HID against a wall at a far distance and at night?)

Thanks for your time.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I believe this is done to prevent glare into the eyes of approaching drivers. Not that this really matters to those installing HIDs.
    jlindh, does your Azera have the same headlight output pattern?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I don't own an Azera, I'm only considering one. My Ford Explorer has a similar pattern. The shift to the right is most evident on low beam when the lights are directed away from the approaching driver. Are your pictures high or low beam?
    Low beam... Is this normal then? Any Azera owner that could confirm this?
    I have a 2007 Sonata and experience the same pattern, I looked in the manual and I am planning to adjust the passenger side headlight low beam to come up to the spec as outlined in the book.
    In older foreign built car I've owned (Saab and VW) I replaced the stock sealed beam headlights with either Cibie' or Hella replacement headlamps. These were not "legal" for street use as the laws at that time were that the unit had to be a sealed unit, not open for bulb replacement. WE've come a way from then..

Anyway, the lenses on these replacement lamps always had a cutoff with a flare upward on the right hand side of the lens. I was told by the Cibie' rep this was to not blind an oncoming driver (as mentioned by others) and to channel more light to the side where there could be cars parked or in highway driving, animals or other potential contact points.

From the look of your pattern in the pics, this style up and to the right persists.

Has anyone determine how to adjust the Azera headlamp units up/down or side/side? I have not found any adjustment screws that I think would accomplish this... Suggestions or pictures appreciated.
    Check in your owners manual. In my 2007 Sonata manual, there are detailed instructions in the back of the book on how to remove the headlight assembly, replace the bulb and adjust the lighting up and down. They STRONGLY advise not to attempt to make any horizontal adjustments. I would think that the adjustments will be easy and the same as my Sonata. I looked at my wife's Honda Odyssey and the adjusting screw was identical to my Hyundai.

I hope this helps!
  • grandeurtggrandeurtg Member Posts: 14
    If you look at the back of headlamp unit, you can easily find each screws next to headlamp. Use screwdriver, and adjust low beam headlight heigt.(Don't raise too high for the oncoming drivers...)
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE 48
    I would think that headlight adjustment should be covered by warranty.
    grandeurtg, are you refering to the bolt that's placed in the back of the headlight between the low and hight beam? The one that seems to have some teeth? I ask because that's the one I tweak around with to adjust up and down. Anyhow, thank you wamba2000 for confirming this. i'll put the HIDs back :)
    The bolt with the "teeth" is the vertical alignment for the headlamp.
    Just finished installing an HID kit in my 2007 Sonata. WOW! If you haven't done this modification, you need to check it out.

I went with the 4300K bulbs for the whitest and brightest light to achieve the most distance I could. It took about 1.5 hours to install and is well worth the investment of under $200.

I would highly recomment to all of you Azera owners as the difference in night time driving will amaze you :surprise:
    I have an 06 Limited purchased in Jun of 06. I replaced the standard bulbs with PIAA H7 bulbs, but want to raise the height of the drivers side, it shines much too low. I looked at the instructions for aiming headlamps on HMAService.com in the shop manual, and that is where I'm stumped.

For the '06 Azera, it shows an adjustment screw for horizontal; there is no such screw or place for me to position the screwdriver as shown in the diagram. I looked at the '07 instructions and the horizontal adjustment is not shown, only the vertical. (It looks more like what my car does.)

Is it possible there was a running change during the '06 year?

Has anyone else uncovered a solution? Your advice is much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.