Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt General Care & Maintenance

13»

Comments

• jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    There's no grease fittings Mike. I like to use silicone spray on the door seals and white lithium on hinges, etc, that's about it.
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    I have had nothing but problems so far with the sunroof on my 07 Cobalt LT. I have only had it since the end of June, and so far have had to take it in for an adjustment because it was leaking air. Now it rattles so much I can hardly stand it. I am just wondering what it will take to have it fixed properly. I love the car and have had no other problems aside from this. Has anyone else had any issues with their sunroof?
    I'd just try another dealer service dept. You'll eventually get a Mr. Good Wrench that can fix it.
  • harrisblackharrisblack Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone hear a noise coming from the engine when it is cold outside? It disappears when it is warm outside or when the engine warms up.
    Mine always makes a slight whining noise until the engine warms. It has since new. 2007 2.2, auto, 8500mi.

Joel
    Have you ever determined where the noise came from, or have you ignored it?
    No, I've never really dug into it. What noise are you hearing?
    The Walmart Superstores in Metairie and Hammond Louisiana don't carry the air filter (FRAM number CA-9969). Do they stock it in the area that you live?
    Which one?

1. Plain car wash and spray wax.

2. Car wash&wax

3. Car wash&wax and spray wax
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    i use the #1 option. and i like eagle products. :D
  • gerald41gerald41 Member Posts: 37
    I just wanted to inform people on the proper care of the exterior of a car. First miss conception is people don't think cars need to be waxed. Cars today are clearcoated which is just clear paint, it's not special paint. They need to be washed and waxed just like cars without clearcoat did, with the exception of compounding.
    To keep a car always looking like new a car should be washed atleast twice a month and waxed every 3 months. Proper car waxing is to use a silicone wax such as Meguiar's NXT wax and then a day or 2 later a layer of pure canuba wax as P2S1. Not only will your car shine like new be will be protected from all the elements . Just thought I'de pass this on.
  • rlenkerrlenker Member Posts: 13
    I use an 1 1/4 short scocket
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I think the frequency depends on whether or not the car is garaged at home and if it sits outside all day in a parking lot at work or is under cover. I'm retired so I usually wax cars about once a year. Washing is very important. Cars should be washed frequently.
  • justinpejustinpe Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 cobalt and need to add some tranny fluid and need to find the plug or what ever it is that will let me fill it. I know the tranny is "sealed" but, whatever............. Does any one have, or can anyone take a pic. of their engine and put an arrow on it and say "this is the plug!" or "under this is the plug" ? I replaced my radiator and need to top the tranny off. And what is the recommended tranny fluid for it?

Thanks
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    check your operators manual for fluid type. and perhaps it will give you the underhood info you need.
  • horsey55horsey55 Member Posts: 15
    This is a great product that I have used for years. My Cobalt is used as a work car, and after only two applications a year, still beads like crazy.
    Had to mention this to the members that like to keep their cars looking top shelf.
    www.raceglaze.com
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    At 49,000 km (29,800 miles) I noticed that I was loosing coolant in my 2005 Cobalt. The dealer change my engine head and valve gaskets, it cost me 1,300 $
    Since that repair, every time I started my car (cold start) I can hear a clinking sound from the engine until it gets warm (the same sound as a muffler cooling off). I called the dealer and he said it was normal and the sound came from the bolts because they were warming up. I told him that it didn't do that when it was new, it's only from the time they worked on it.
    It's been 2 months and I drove 2,000 km (1,250 miles) since they replaced my gaskets, oil, coolant and bolts ect... and tonight I was checking under the hood because I'm planning a little trip this weekend and guess what, I noticed that my coolant in my reservoir is 2 inches below the normal "cold" level and the color has gone from orange to a brownish color and the plastic of my reservoir is stained with a kind of milky white residue that sticks on the interior of the antifreeze recovering tank.
    Any comments on what's happening?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It sounds like they didn't fix it correct and anti-freeze and oil are mixing together. The milky white residue is also a sign of oil/anti-freeze but the milky residue can also be from a car that is only driven short distance and doesn't warm up enough.

Sounds to me that they need to fix the problem again.
    Just came back from the dealer.

They checked everything with a special light to see if the antifreeze was leaking from somewhere. Everything is o.k.
    They said that probably there was air that got in the system when they replaced the head and valve gasket and they went up in my recovery tank and that's how the antifreeze's level went down.
    They toped off the coolant to it's full level.
    For the color change...they told me that it's probably dirt coming from the system that went in my antifreeze.
    Now for the white, milky substance... it's formed by a dirt ring on my plastic recovery tank as my level was lowering slowly and with the movement it mixed with the antifreeze and settled on the side of the tank.

They recommended me to do a "cooling system flush and cleaning" in the future but that it was not urgent.
    I was cleaning my car today and I noticed that someone drove over a freshly painted white line with the truck.
    Result...my inner fenders (black plastic) are spotted all around with dry white paint splashed by the tires.
    I tried to remove the paint with soap, spot remover, soap pad, gasoline, paint thinner nothing worked. One of those products has made my plastic fade, good thing I tried them on a spot that doesn't show to much.
    Can someone suggest me something or has tried something with success to remove paint spots on plastic without damaging it?
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Just an idea. Why not use flat black plastic paint to hide white spots?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Goof Off may work. I would try it on an inner fender area first to see if it melts the plastic but I think it will work. I have used it many times while painting and otherwise.
  • israel06cobaltisrael06cobalt Member Posts: 1
    Yea, I'm having problems with my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. I took it to get an oil change when it read change oil soon on the screen and after that it keeps turning off on me while i'm driving and it reads engine disabled on the screen. They told me it might be my car computer, but it just started right after the oil change.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    What kind of mileage are people getting on the front brakes of their Cobalts? I'd like to know what to expect of my 09.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Driving style?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    I an in a surburban/rural area and lots of driving is interstate.

I am open to hearing experience on miles on brakes from urban commute and all other types of driving.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• firemedic01firemedic01 Member Posts: 1
    my display is showing 3 dashes instead of what my coolant temp actually is.
This discussion has been closed.