Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra Noises

2»

Comments

• I JUST went through the same thing. They had my car for 5 weeks and eventually had to put in a new motor. They blamed the oil filters and all that. Oh, and by the way, they WILL ask you for receipts for all oil changes. My husband changed the oil in our car himself and they told us that we had to bring them the receipts from when we purchased the oil and filters. I had 33000 miles on my car so they asked for 8 oil changes worth of receipts. If I did not come up with them, we were going to have to pay for the repair (over $3000). Even under warranty. Tell them to check for a premature bearing failure. That is what was wrong with mine. It would only make the sound when it was cold too and by the time I drove to the dealership 45 miles away, it was warmed up and they couldnt duplicate the problem. I took it several times and finally ended up demanding a loaner car so they could keep it overnight. They heard it the next morning.
  • rockydog1rockydog1 Posts: 1
    I have A nissan Sentra 2007 that I love! Only problem is that horrible knocking/ticking sound it makes during warm up. It used to go away after a few blocks but now lasts for several miles! I have taken it to two different dealerships now. The first one said that they couldn't hear it. The second one heard it loud and clear but says it is normal and does not hurt the drivability. I think it kills my resale though and even though it has only 34,000 miles I wouldn't feel safe taking a trip in it. I just want my car fixed. I have been told that no one else has had this problem. I am finding lots of reports though. I would REALLY APPRECIATE it if anyone would share what dealership they have taken their car to with similar problems.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You can look for consumer reviews of dealerships and repair shops in your area at this link: Dealer Ratings & Reviews. Hope this helps!
  • I had the same problem with mine. I live 45 miles from the dealership and so everytime I took it in, the car was warmed up and the knocking stopped. I finally left it over night and they started it up first thing the next morning. They heard it then and they said that since we didnt use Nissan Filters when we changed our oil that was the problem so they changed the oil. The next day they called and said it was fixed and when I went to pick up the car. I heard it again. So, they kept it. They had my car for 5 1/2 weeks. Turns out, there was a premature bearing failure in the motor and they had to replace the small block. Keep on em until they get it fixed because your warranty is almost out. If you have any other questions, email me @ kristyemmitt71@yahoo.com. Hope this helps.
  • bartek2bartek2 Posts: 1
    I had same problem with my 95 Sentra GXE. The clattering sound when making turns (as I remember it was happening mostly on the right turns). I've been hearing this sound for years - and nobody could find the cause. Finally, last year I had to replace the starter and when they took the old one out they found that a piece of the starter gear cover broke off but did not fall out completely. Instead in remained loose inside the starter body and every time I made a right turn, the centrifugal force pushed it against the rotating flywheel - making the clattering sound.
    Of course after installing new starter, the sound disappeared.
  • The odometer is just 220 km. I puchased it about a month ago.
    From just a week ago,
    when the speed is between 50 km and 55 km, I can hear whistling noise.
    Even if I put the transmisson in neutral postion I can still hear the noise.
    The Nissan service person said it's normal. But I don't think so.
    Does some one have the same problem with me?
  • jjustus616jjustus616 Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I'm having the same exact problem with my 2009 Sentra. It's just the basic model and has 36900 miles. I've taken it 3 times and they have already changed the oil filter. Now they are telling me it's a normal noise and if I had bought a top model I wouldn't hear it because mine doesn't have the sound proffing. I'm livid! Regardless if it's a basic model or not it shouldn't be making that noise! Please let me know if this bearig issue is the same for my model too. If so, I've only had the car a few weeks and I'm going to take it back and get my money back because they don't want to fix the problem! Thanks!
  • she3she3 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 used Nissan Sentra and I'm having the problem with a knocking noise. It gets better when it is warmed up, but it still has a knocking noise. I had it a couple days and brought it into the Nissan dealer for them to look at it. They are telling me that it is normal. I feel like I'm loosing my mind. Many people tell me they too hear the noise. I will go in and tell them to check the premature bearing failure in the motor and if they don't fix it I think I will return it. I believe I have 31 days to return the car?
  • Well its not a loud clank, but more than a click. And it happens almost every time I start the car up and press the accelerator the first time. After that it goes away, but may come back if I am stopped at a light say, and press the accelerator to start up. Either it started a few weeks ago or I just never noticed it in the 4 months I've had the car, which seems unlikely. Any ideas?
  • Hey Shirokuma, SAME thing is happening to my 2011 Sentra! The dang Click; I think it is more when the weight of the vehicle shifts rather than the accel/brake pedals, but it's driving me nuts! I'm taking him in to the dealer in 2 weeks to find out!

I also get noise when I shift from rev to drive and turn the wheel... sounds like pulling the parking brake in old stick shift cars.

I can also hear the suspension (like... springs or air puffs) every time I go over any bumps in the road.
  • Colordancer,

I'm having the identical problem in my 2010 Sentra SR... a knocking noise when braking and accelerating, and a screeching sound when turning the wheel immediately after coming out of reverse.

If you can, please let me know what your dealer says about the problem. I've had the car in for this issue twice and have been told that the sounds are normal--but I'm not ready to accept that.
  • I have a 2012 Nissan Sentra SR, I just purchased. It had seven miles on it. During initial start up and for a period of 2-3 min it has a loud whining/buzzing noise emitting from the engine compartment. It is noticeable from inside the cabin and outside. I thought it was a just a break in thing that would go away. However I have around 200 miles and the car still has the same issue. I talked to my local Nissan service section over the phone. They tried to tell me it was normal, I requested documents to validate. He tried to tell me it was TSB and I have access to TSB and I could not locate it. He then fumbled around and told me he would call me back.
  • malachymalachy Posts: 17
    Your call sounds just like my 2010. No problems however...
  • I have a 2011 Nissan Sentra. There is a distinct knocking noise that happens under the following conditions: the car has not been driven for a while, engine is cold, and I reach 19-20 miles per hour while accelerating and the car makes a knocking noise (like a hammer on metal) a few times then stops. It goes away as I drive the car more. It seems to happen only once and only under those conditions. I took the car to a Nissan dealership service to get the right front struts replaced because that's what I was told was making the knocking noise. I also had the oil changed. The knocking is still there. Any ideas? I've read that it can be an engine bearing problem. How expensive is this to fix? Anyone have this knocking noise and just lived with it? I feel that if I try to sell or trade in this car in the future and the knocking noise is there, it will diminish the value of the car. I'm very disappointed. This is the most expensive car I've ever purchased and it's already giving me problems.
  • mauka1mauka1 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. Knocking when the engine was cold. Had 55,000 miles on the car. Long story short...Dealership said car needs a new short block and that it is covered under warranty at the moment. Defective bearing, etc...?
2»