Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    HI ALL,

I HAVE MY TRIBUTE ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW AND SO FAR IM VERY PLEASED(A LITTLE OVER 1000 MILES) SO FAR NO SMELL OF GAS,NO RATTLES OR VIBRATIONS,NO STALLING. ITS QUICK AND LITHE.. GAS MILAGE ISNT GREAT.. BUT I HAVE A MERCEDES C240 THAT GETS THE SAME MILAGE BUT ON PREMIUM GAS... GUESS WHICH CAR COSTS LESS TO OPERATE?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Congrats on your new purchase. Your Mazda will do just fine. I have a 2001 Escape V6 4wd with just about 16,000 miles with no problems.. wait, I did have some squeaking in the rear tailgate/glass area, fixed myslef, I also lost my subwoofer 1 in my Mach 6 stero system. Type in Ford Escape and you will find other chat rooms with Escape owners. There is one inparticular where there is over 4,300 members and less than 1% have had this stalling problem or any other problem that may have forced them to trade or use a lemon law... Search the net the information flows..... These are quick SUVs. I like to merge and hit the gas at about 50mph, throws you back pretty good...
  • donweilerdonweiler Member Posts: 5
    Unless on absolutely flat road serface, constant squeak. 16,000 miles on vehicle. How fix? Or take in on warrenty? Also pulls left after dealership wheel rotation and alignment. Take in on warrenty?

Thanks,
    Don
  • jim257jim257 Member Posts: 8
    My new 2002 Escape has stalled twice since I got it in July. This is a very dangerous problem when it happens to you. I am surprised no one has been injured or killed yet. The dealer said the ground wire was loose the first time. I do not beleive this after it has happened again. I don't beleive this is being blown out of proportion by those it happening to. We will see if it gets fixed this time. I will file a NHTSA complaint the next time if I am still alive.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    The Phantom just struck again, above!
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    OH OH Get after him , he's bad.
  • chris201chris201 Member Posts: 4
    I hope you have a better outcome than I did. The dealer attributed the stalling first to a relay part, then a need for a computer reprogramming, then a defective idle bypass part among other items. I got the feeling they didn't really know. You are right that it is a dangerous problem - going 40+ MPH and losing power is not a pleasant experience. I was very lucky to be at places where I could get the car to a safe area each time it happened. However, I didn't want to press my luck one more time.

I tried to trade the car in at the dealer where I purchased it for another Ford vehicle - he offered me a price that amounted to 40% depreciation on the Escape in less than a year. Doesn't say much for the Ford Escape holding its value - although I believe the real issue was the dealer didn't want the car due to the number of stalling problems.

FYI - A friend of mine just purchased a Mercury model. While going over the lemon law disclosures, he told the salesperson a friend of his had problems with a Ford model. Completely unprompted, the salesperson said "it must be an Escape - there are issues with that car."
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    There is NO Mercury model... perhapse you meant the Mazda model?

Odie
  • murphy27murphy27 Member Posts: 31
    This person is a lurker on this board who tries to minimize the seriousness and danger of any Escape problems, especially the stalling problem.

I would say he/she probably is paid by Ford as another of their dirty tactics to try and protect themselves from lawsuits. Has anyone seen the Ford Focus records - more recalls than any other car, ever, anywhere. Name a Ford product and it will have a dangerous condition.

I would imagine Scape2 is really more than one person - Ford probably has minions out there to try and to damage control.

Murphy (the owner of a stalling Escape and soon to be owner of anything but a Ford)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's stick to the topic. Individual TH members are not suitable topics for discussion.

Incidentally, a lurker is one who looks but does not participate. Obviously, someone posting messages here does not qualify as a lurker.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "Has anyone seen the Ford Focus records - more recalls than any other car, ever, anywhere."

The BMW X5 has had more recalls, and it costs about 4X what the Focus does. The X5 has had at least 14-15 (10 of them were issued last year), and the Focus has had 12 that I could find.

I'm betting that there have been other's too.
  • chris201chris201 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry I wasn't clear on the "Mercury model". My friend and his wife bought a Mercury Mountaineer (that's what I meant about Mercury model) - the Mercury salesperson who sold him the Mountaineer was the one who told him Ford was having issues with the Escape.

I certainly wish I had read this Town Hall Board before I purchased the Escape - had no idea about the stalling problems until it happened to me for the first time around 4 months after I bought the car.

Audia8Q (Post 1648) - would appreciate if you would provide the list of vehicles with more stalling problems than the Escape - I do not want to make the same mistake twice.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I feel the need to speak up on Scape's behalf. Certainly he is not a lurker. Neither is he a mole, a troll, or a corporate shill. Scape is exactly as he appears: an Escape enthusiast with a large emotional investment in his vehicle.

Certainly, if he were on Ford's payroll, he would be much more subtle and less abrasive. By the way, IMHO Scape is the one person most responsible for maintaining a lively disscussion on many of the small SUV boards.

-james
  • firstovfirstov Member Posts: 31
    Hi,
    I'm getting 17 to 21 mpg in mixed traffic. 2002 4x4 ES model. It has 13K miles on it. I've heard someone was getting much more than this.
    Can you tell me what is yours please.
    Thanks!
    I too must stick up for scape. Just because a person is defending the type of vehicle he/she drives doesn't make them a bad person. (Look at all the people who defent Jeff Gordon when he puts somebody into the wall on purpose.) All I'm saying is that it is a public forum, and gives you the right to your opinion (as long as it's clean and not offensive). I have not had any problems with my escape. But I just may be one of a few lucky little fish in the big pond.

Firstov: I'm getting about 26-27 mpg around town, and about 27-28 highway.(2001 Escape XLT 4x4 w/ V-6) But I also added a Tornado ($74 after pa sales tax)(which steve or tidester will probally post their link to) but IMO the device works.

Odie
    firstov,
    A lot of us have been able to get about 24-25 on the highway (even with the A/C on) without any tricks. 17-21 sounds about right for mixed driving.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I feel the need to speak up on behalf of Ford. No company would willing pay money for the posts in question.
  • warren19warren19 Member Posts: 28
    I can see why someone would think he works for Ford. I mean, look at the great length he goes to defend a product that obviously has serious problems. Why does he care THAT much.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I would assume he merely likes to counter mis-information spread by folks like yourself.. ('obviously has serious problems').

What is your motivation?
    Why does he care THAT much.

Everyone here is an enthusiast. There are degrees of enthusiasm. Just realize some may be more enthusiastic than you.

Personally, I've enjoyed the give and take on this board but I do not enjoy seeing the discussion focus exclusively on any particular member. Let's discuss the vehicles and leave it at that.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    I'm sorry but I need to post my opinion before moving on. I don't understand why when someone has had no problems why they would visit a discussion group for problems. I'm not saying he can't, but why slam someone who does have a problem is beyond me. This member has been bashing anyone who has anything remote to say about the stalling issue. This discussion group is for problems and people should be able to come here to ask advice, find out if any problems exist with other vehicles of the same model, and not me subjected to the bashing by certain members who wish only to harass others. You know one time I stated my piece, but was warned not to speak with such a tone again, the post was cut. It might happen again, but I had to say what I did.
    I understand your sentiments and you made your case well. IMO, the proper solution is not to turn the discussion into one about the individual. Rather, we can all choose to not participate in those specific threads and focus instead on the topic at hand.

If I have a problem with my vehicle and someone who hasn't seen my vehicle insists from a distant location that I do not have a problem with it then those preposterous claims simply don't deserve my time and attention.

tidester
    Host
    Odie,
    pl post a url for that device that you got. Did it affect the car horse power?
    Does it make sense to put better gas (or better brand) ??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We could use some new posts in the The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life discussion.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

besides for the one steve posted for here..you can goto http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com

But I bought mine at a local Napa that sells them (didn't have to pay the hefty $10 shipping)

Odie

Your statement should also be shown in the reverse. (so as to apply to everyone)

If I have NO problems with my vehicle and someone who hasn't seen my vehicle insists from a distant location that I (and all Escapes) DO have a problem then those preposterous claims also don't deserve my time and attention.
    I agree!

tidester
    Host
    I know at times I get a bit heated up in these forums. I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings or disrespect anyone. I will however challenge anyones misinformation about the Escape/Tribute. I am not a Ford salesperson, nor a Ford "mole". I am simply a person who owns an Escape that I am very satisfied with. I am also confident that the Escape/Tribute are reliable vehicles. I have checked around the net and have visited other sites/chat rooms ect and see that the majority of people are satisfied Escape/Tribute owners.
    Granted, there are going to be lemons in EVERY car make/model. I hope those of you in this room that have real problems will get them fixed in a timely manner by Ford.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    well. I cant imagine that every person that buys an escape or tribute knows about this forum....and I will assume the vast majority of owners that are happy would never even BOTHER spending the time to come her and say theyre happy... kind like tv news... people love to hear about controversy..not "non issues"... I have no problem at all, being an observer of human nature..accepting the premis that the vast majority of tributes/escapes are reasonably hassle free.
    scroll back and count how many are duplicates, how many are Ford bashers.. Not to even include how many may and may not even be true...
    Yes, I do visit this forum and will continue to peek in once in a while. Just as the Ford bashers do, as the rumor spreaders do, just as the people who spread misinformation do.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    For those few of you who have had stalling issues not been resolved....Mazda has released revised calibrations for intermittent engine quit conditions....This must be in conjunction with the reflashing the PCM to new levels.

mazda serv bulletin #01-014/02R

Hope this helps anyone with this problem.
    Why do get so upset if they're are bashers and duplicate phonies making posts? Your trying to defend a product that you and many others have had no problems with. My question to you is why? Why get so upset when someone posts a problem with their Escape? Your in a chat room for this very issue, problems. You say you like to peek every now and then, but you do more than that. You smash anyone that has a remote problem with their Escape, especially over this stalling issue and then respond to others that their phonies, duplicate sign on members, etc. You know when something bothers me and gets me upset I normally don't go back.
  • mikegunnermikegunner Member Posts: 8
    If you are having problems with your Escape -- do what we did --- HIRE A LAWYER --- funny thing -- all the sudden they are REPLACING our vehicle!!!
    Our 2001 Escape was in the shop far to frequently -- including 3 times for stalling, and having the power steering pump replaced twice. Our dealer finally shrugged said there was nothing more they could do and gave us forms for contacting our state's Attny General, Vehicle Dispute board and the address for Ford's Legal Dept for a lawyer to write to!

If your dealer can't give you satisfaction -- do what we did ---

And -- I am not a Ford Basher!!! I have always driven a Ford and this is my first bad experience with one of their vehicles. Our Family has owned Ford Products since the 1940's
  • purpypurpy Member Posts: 4
    My Mazda Tribute 2001 stalled 3 times and was in for 6 recalls. It was fixed but then I couldn't
    shift it into reverse sometimes. It also wouldn't
    accelerate right and I thought that it could have
    been bad gas. I didn't have a lemon but I think
    that the 2001 models had a lot of problems with them and they didn't fix them upright. I also traded mine in for a New Ford Explorer and I did
    like my Madza Tribute. But they have stalling problems and others etc. with this car. I met 3 other people the same day in the shop with the
    stalling problems and I do resent it when someone
    tells me I should have no problem with the car.
    You would have been welcome to drive my car. I
    didn't have a lot of faith in it after the warrenty would have expired. I also didn't find this site until my car stalled... Just my 2 cents worth.....
    I don't bash people for their problems?? When did I do this?? It is necessary however to remind people that there are duplicate postings/people. Along with many Ford bashers at Edmunds. Why do you feel threatened by me coming into this room??I have never said the Escape is perfect or totally problem free. There are those who feel every Escape/Tribute ever built is going to "stall" or be a problem child. I can prove them wrong. Get out on the net visit other chat rooms/review sites ect.. I wish I could link these but its against Edmunds policy. I have already been mailed a few times about linking by Tide/Steve and don't want to push my luck.
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    I've been looking in on this board since the summer of 2001. At that time, my wife and I were strongly considering buying a Tribute (the test drive almost sealed the deal for us) until I did some research on the web and found out about the stalling problem. We then decided against purchasing the Tribute because of this issue. I still look in on this board from time to time to see if Ford/Mazda has resolved the problem because I may be in the market for a vehicle again within 1-2 years.

In 1988, I purchased a car (brand new - not a Ford or Mazda) that had an intermittent problem with stalling and engine idle oscillation. The problem usually occured under cool/damp weather conditions prior to the engine warming up completely. I brought this car back to the dealership several times, and was consistantly told that they could not duplicate the problem, everything checks out okay, they haven't seen this problem before, etc. Each time I would drive home from the dealership, my frustration level would be cranked up yet another notch because I knew there was a problem. Being told that everything checked out okay or that they haven't seen this problem before did not make me feel any better.

I can understand why someone with an Escape/Tribute that has stalled might feel that they are now being "bashed" in this forum. Each time they are told that the stalling problem has been overblown, or that it only affects a small per-centage of vehicles, or that they are anti-Ford, cranks up their frustration level another notch to the point where they now feel as if they are being attacked. It really doesn't matter to those with vehicles that have stalled whether 1% or 100% of the Escape/Tributes out there have the stalling problem. All they care is that their vehicles have stalled and they have come to this forum to hopefully find solutions.

As for visiting other sites, I have done that and found that the Consumer Complaint section of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is a good source of information. The 2001 and 2002 Escape/Tribute has amassed quite a record there.

Please note that I am not a "Ford Basher". I've owned one Ford product over the years (1976 Capri II) which was a great car, but that was 20 years ago, so I consider myself "Ford neutral". I am, however, the original owner of a 1990 Mazda MPV, which has close to 128K miles and is still running great, which is another reason we considered the Tribute.

Hope this helps.
    Some time back, someone mentioned they had just purchased a used Isuzu and casually mentioned it had the "new car smell." I pointed out that the "new car smell" now comes in spray cans.

I got jumped on by Isuzu loyalists who declared me to be an Isuzu basher! Of course, that's ludicrous.

The point is that brand loyalties can easily cause people to see innocent comments or sincere discussion as something else entirely. Let's try to take the medium into account and be a bit more tolerant of differing expressions of opinion.

tidester
    Host
    Go to several Mazda dealer repair shops. Ask them whether they have many Tribs come in and for what. Visit other sites around the net. Currently there are no recalls for 2002 Escape/Tribs. I don't doubt anyone has had a "stalling" issue. Bess, has posted TSB information over and over and over again if you scroll back for a fix to this issue. I own an Escape and at first admit I was a bit worried about my Escape "stalling". After I poked around the net and looked at other chats/sites I saw it was a very, very small percentage. I am glad I don't have this problem, and I hope those that do get it fixed to their satisfaction.
  • mikegunnermikegunner Member Posts: 8
    Scape2 ---

I wish that stalling was the only problem my wife had with her vehicle. Granted, our was one of the early 2001's (Oct 2000) but besides the recalls that affected the vehicle, it was in the shop twice for having the Power Steering Pump replaced along with other sundry problems.
    We just had a baby earlier this year, and when the Escape stalls, it does it while moving and causes the loss of power steering and power brakes-- needless to say, they almost got CREAMED from behind when they stalled.
    This made the 3rd time, qualifying for LEMON LAW -- we went tonite and picked out a new 2003 EXPLORER (we only have to pay the difference between MSRP's ---- My wife refused to get another Escape due to her past problems!
    I don't think I've ever posted stalling TSB information.. If so, I doubt it was more than once..
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Mazda has a fix for computer problem that solves the stalling problem in Tributes, and it has been around almost a month now. New ones being sold now should have no problems from the get-go. Did Tributes have this power steering problem too? I know they have a different steering set-up than Escapes.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Does anyone know if I can replace gear stick on my 02 Trib with something more convenient. I've seen new Escapes with different kind of the gear stick and wondering if I can install that one. (so it will not block the radio knob)
    Thanks!
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Saw on Bloomberg there's another recall issued yesterday on Tribute electrical problem. Anyone got info ?
    Unfortunately, you have completely missed the point of my post, so let me try one last time to make it clear. It is extremely frustrating for someone to have purchased a new vehicle, only to find that your brand new vehicle (specifically - the vehicle you drove off the dealers lot - not the vehicle model in general) needs warranty repair for multiple problems, or makes several trips back to the dealer service department for the same unresolved complaint. For this person, the per-centage of reliable or unreliable vehicles for the model they purchased is no longer an issue because the vehicle they own has problems. Constantly making statements on purported vehicle reliability a) does nothing to help the person with the vehicle they are having problems with, and b) only serves to futher upset and possibly infuriate the person with the problem vehicle. I think you really need to go back and read the last paragraph of Tidester's post #1687. His point is very important.

A couple of other points. First, I believe I stated twice in my post that I used the internet to research the Tribute and continue to look in at this site. So, I don't understand your comment on visiting websites. Second, you state how Bess has several times posted a TSB for stalling, but Bess contradicts you with post #1690. Seems to me that your statement is very much like the misinformation you complain of in post #1680.
  • missi1missi1 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this board. I have been reading through the postings. I purchased my 2002 Tribute on 12/1/01. (Manufactured in 11/01) On 5/3/02, my battery died. My Tribute has stalled out on me 3 times. Each time I have taken the car in. The first time they updated the computer software (6/21/02). The second time they replaced 3 sensors (8/14/02). Took the car back to the dealer on 8/20/02 for yet another stalling problem. As of today, the car is still at the dealer. The first two times were going down a hill at 30 mph. The last time was on a straight stretch of road at about 35 mph. So that blows the theory of only being on flat roads as someone suggested in a previous post. All the times have been around the same time, 5pm after sitting all day. Probably one reason why Mazda/Ford has not recalled the car is because it does not happen in every car. Also, they don't have a good fix yet that fits each car that has been stalling. I don't think this issue should be taken lightly. I have either gotten off the road or restarted the engine while coasting. One problem lays with the people behind you. Some people like to follow to closely. I cannot control that. So yes, it can be scary when someone behind you is not paying attention. I am too busy trying to restart the car to turn on the flashers while I am coasting. I think the people who say it is no big deal must have not had it happen to them.
    Well tomorrow will be a total of thirty days in the shop. So that qualifies my car as lemon in my state. I am sending my letter to Mazda requesting a refund which is a shame because I really like the Tribute.
    maybe it wasn't bess, maybe it was baggs?? who posted TSB information on this stalling issue..
    I did not miss you point paride. I will say this again. I never said the Escape/Tribute were perfect. Its known from here to eternity that there were some initial recalls. What I am saying is people need to actually read the recalls. Some Ford bashers love to make it look like every single Escape/Trib made in 01 had these recalls, not true if people would actually read the recalls. I have never put anyone down for their problems. Where are you getting this from? What I am saying is there are Ford bashers out in these forums, you can login under multiple names and make it look like the Escape/Trib are very problematic. I have run into 11 people now that own both Tribs and Escapes. 1 person had minor issues, all the others were fine. I am making it a point to actually talk to people I see that own these vehicles and approach them, if they look approachable that is.
    My wifes 00 Accord has been back to the dealer 3x! everytime I bring this up in the Accord or pro-Honda group I get slammed.
    As I have said, I hope these folks that actually do have problems get them fixed.
    Scape2-

It seems that you missed the point again. I give up. Maybe someone else in this forum can explain to you that the reliability of the Escape/Tribute had absolutely nothing to do with my comments. Rather, the interpretation of the same posted comments and perception of their meaning(s) may be different for anyone going through a bad situation vs. someone in a good situation.
    missi,
    The stalling occurs during engine deceleration (when the rpms are diving after letting off of the gas). It does not matter whether you are going up a hill, down a hill, or along a level grade.

If you own an 01 there's a good chance that the PCM (computer software) needs to be replaced and re-programmed. If they just re-programmed, which is impossible with the older PCM's, nothing will be different. The latest TSB's are very clear on this. Also, I've read elsewhere (might have been here) that Mazda has just released a new TSB that mirrors the one Ford released back in June for the Escape. I have absolutely no doubts that the June TSB fixed our Escape so you may want to check into that if you so desire. Of course, all of this hinges upon your service dept. being competent enough to do it right.

scape,
    It was me that posted the TSB, not bess. It actually came from a website run by a bunch of Ford techs from around the country (if not the world).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I really don't think there's all that many members here with multiple login names. It's pretty easy to track from our logs and other clues, like IP addresses. If you have specific suspicions, blast a host an email and we'll look into it, since it's a violation of our Member Agreement to have more than one member id.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sdg68sdg68 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post, but we have had almost all of the problems posted here, including stalling, surging, poor gas mileage, etc. Our latest problem was the check engine light came on solid and would not go off. Then it became hard and sometimes impossible to start. We already had an appointment for the 30,000 mile service, so it was good timing. They found two problems that they said were covered by service bulletins. They replaced some relays and a computer module related to the emission system. When we got our car back it was like a totally different car. It ran smoother, shifts better, and no more surging at low speed. We haven't had it back long enough to determine if the gas mileage is better, but so far we love it. Prior to this we were just waiting until our lease was over to get rid of it, and now we are considering keeping it.