Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre Electrical/Lighting

seabushseabush Member Posts: 68
I own a 1998 Buick Le Sabre. Today I experienced problems with turn signal. The turn signal lights are on but the flasher doesn't work on the left side (front and back) What could be the possible problem?

Thanks

Comments

• kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Try new light bulbs. Even though they are lit, they might be bad. Works for me every time.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Try putting on the four way flasher which will flash all the bults the turn signals would flash. Go around the car to be sure the same bulbs are light up on the left side as light up on the right side. I'll bet you find one bulb is not working somewhere on front or back. One bulb oout will let the lights turn on but won't have enough current draw to heat the spring in the flasher unit to make it turn off

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ryanfiala81ryanfiala81 Member Posts: 35
    I have posted this message in Maintenance & Repair forums, as well, but thought that maybe LeSabre experts might have some thoughts on my car's problems.

I'm a frequent poster on Edmunds, but have never had one as crazy as this. My '97 LeSabre's check engine light came on a few days ago. The car ran well enough with it on for a few days. The light even went off briefly. However, this morning, the light had returned, and the car refused to shift out of first gear. Additionally, the input to the pedal did not directly correlate with the motor's reaction. Strangest was my fuel gauge, which now randomly meanders between 1/2 tank and empty and settles for awhile before wandering again (I have a little bit less than a half tank remaining). I took it to a local auto parts store where they ran the trouble codes. TPS was listed as one of the codes, and so I replaced it. The car now idles well enough, but still refuses to shift out of first, and the TPS trouble code refuses to be erased when clearing codes with the OBD II. The clearing of the codes appears to have settled my idle, and replacing the TPS has made my pedal input better correlate with the motor's reaction. Additionally, the fuel gauge problem appears to have righted itself, but the car still won't shift out of first.

My friend suspects the problem lies in my Electronic Control Module, but he admits he doesn't know GMs all that well. I have the following questions:

- Does anyone else think this is the likely culprit?
    - Would a repair shop be able to use their Snap-On Diagnostics to better pinpoint the problem?
    - Is there any sort of traceable relay that might be fouled between the computer and the transmission?
    - How likely is it that the problem resides in the transmission (I had it flushed a little more than a year ago)?

I appreciate any thoughts on what's ailing my car. Thanks.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef2398d/2418

You might post a question in the above discussion. Alcan or others may know something to check. There is a fuse panel above the passenger's right kick panel--someone said it can be reached without taking off the hush panel, but I believe the hush panel has a list of the fuses there. A fuse there may be related.

A connector next to the driver's left foot for the grounds sometimes causes problems with corrosions or moisture. There is another ground beside the driver's seat under the carpet between it and the door and one on the passenger side. Grounds at the instrument panel next to the emergency brake could be gas gauge problem or connector going to the back to the tank.

A first thing to check is the connections on the battery. Take the ground off. Take off the two positives and clean everything and check cables the contacts connect to in order to make sure they aren't eaten away by battery acid. Is your battery good? After you clean and replace the cables, check voltmeter for the battery operation.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi ... just a word about forums etiquette. It's not a good idea to post your questions in so many discussions. That tends to annoy people and then they don't want to help.

So please don't post in the discussion imidizol97 suggested. I'm sure he didn't realize you'd already posted so many times. The people who read the discussions you've already found also read the one he suggested, so you'll reach the right people.

I hope we can help you with this.
    Thanks for filling me in on the etiquette. Most of the time, I have an idea where my problem lies - with this one, though, it could be anything. You're probably right, though, that the people who can help me read them all. I'll be sure to post in one, or two max, from now on. I hope you can help, too.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let us know what happens!
  • buickgrlbuickgrl Member Posts: 5
    I have a 92 Buick Lesabre Limited and every time that i try to start it, a security light goes on. some people tell me to get a new key, but it doesn't work. i have also tried to find purple/white and white/black wires to put a resistor in, but i cannot find them!! if you have ANY suggestions, PLEASE tell me ANYTHING!!!!
    Do you have more than one key that came with the car? Have you cleaned the key contacts-the black chip in the head- with a pencil eraser. Have you dipped it in alcohol and put it into the lock cylinder wet to try to clean the contacts inside the lock.

If the VATS system reads the wrong resistance it locks up the starter after 3 turns of the key for 5 minutes or less. Then you can try again.

If you find that it is the wires or contacts in the cylinder and you choose to bypass see the link:

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/292005/169809/art- icle.pdf

You have to find the two wires at a connector down by the base of the steering column. The two wires may be inside a small orange wire which is really a tube.

I bring the other key with me just in case i am in a pinch, but neither one of them work well. what i was thinking about doing was to test one of the keys by building it up with sauter or something that would stick out more on the key to connect the circuit what do you think
    ps thanks for the info! if you have more let me know or if you have more ideas!
    mandi
    i found an orange wire thing. it was coming out of the steering column. do you think that that could be it? it kind of looked like to wires in one casing and it was orange. if it is it, what should i do next? should i follow them until i see a purple/white white/black wires?let me know as soon as possible
    mandi
    Problem solved on the stuck-in-first-gear, wild fuel gauge, and inconsistent pedal response problem. My friend who works at a dealership service department followed GM troubleshooting procedures for the codes I'd pulled, and we found voltage going to a pin on the PCM where there should not have been any. One used PCM reprogrammed from a Pontiac Grand Am later, and my car has never run better. Hopefully, if anyone else has the symptoms I experienced, they'll be able to save themselves quite a bit of aggravation, and go straight for the PCM.
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    Just got a '95 with 58k miles on it. It breaks up while in drive when there is a load on it. It shudders when you hit the gas hard and going up hills. In drive, you can press down on the gas and it surges up and down when kept at a steady point.

My thoughts are fuel pressure regulator and maybe a coil or wires. Everything looks original from plugs to wires etc.

Any ideas?

THX
    My first thoughts are get new OEM wires and plugs. Get the exact GM plug from whatever auto source you like. Get OEm wires from GM supplier or internet or get Belden -- I think I got those at NAPA.

Put those on. That sounds like it could be spark scatter where the spark is not able to fire across the thin mixture under light load at speed. you feel it most when the torque convert has locked up at 45-50 in 3rd or 4th and you are accelerating slightly to hold speed up a slight slope.

Second would be fuel filter. You can replace that yourself with jackstands. It will on fuel lines under right side of the car either in front of the rear wheel or under the passenger's feet. That last location requires good safety knowledge using the jackstands; rear location can be done without them.

I agree. I pulled one plug and it was very worn, likely originals. Wires are Packards which I think are OEM. They look tired too.I'm going to replace the plugs, wires and fuel filter tomorrow. It also seems as though there is about a half quart over in the oil and it smells like gas. Since the FPR is not leaking maybe the misfires are allowing the unburnt gas to leak down the cylinder walls.

Update to follow tomorrow.
    That all makes sense that misfiring lets gas get into the oil. If your oil smells of fuel, it would be a good time to change it to reduce wear on the cylinder walls.

Thanks for the quick responses. I should have mentioned I am changing the oil and filter too before I spin a bearing.

It also acts up more when hot than cold - another sign of an electrical problem/weak wires.

If this does not work, then off to coil packs. I know how to test an old fashioned coil. Any idea how to test a coil pack?
    I took off each coil on my 93 and tested resistance on imput and output.

I suspect you'll fix your problem with new plugs and wires. Good luck getting the back plugs out easily...

Update-

I replaced the plugs and wires and 95% of the problem is gone. I also changed the oil and fuel filter.

Looks like I got off cheap.
    I would suggest a fuel system cleaning with Techron additive from Advance auto, Meijers, or any store. They ahve a fuel system cleaner and an injector cleaner version. They both contain Techron additive which Chevron uses in their fuel. Years back it was considered the best package of additives. Follow directions: pour into an almost empty tank, add only enough gallons of gasoline for the size plastic bottle you bought (12 or 20), the gas should be name brank--I usually use premium.

You'll notice a difference in a few miles.

Since the car has high years but low mileage, I suggest trying that.

You've been busy changing all that in one day. Report back.

The plugs and wires were a breeze and I was able to get it al done by noon before I went to work. I was planning on trying the injector cleaner too. The car needs to run! Probably won't get too much today.
    Put the Techron in today. I will finally run it to work tomorrow and see how well it goes.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Use the Techron with less than 1/2 tank and run it down to be most effective.
    The Techron seemed to help but there is still a bit of a stutter in acceleration with the lock-up torque converter on and moderate acceleration; somewhere in the mid 60's. Guess I'll just live with it, I only bought the car for $3200. I'll give the EGR a look to see if it is clean.
    The surging is still around but it seems to be only at speeds over 60mph. I believe it is the torque converter locking and unlocking. Any idea on how extensive this is to fix - pull tranny or done while in car.......?
    What is the damage if I keep running it for a while? (0% of my driving is on the highway above 60mph.
    Well, I finally checked the resistance on the coils. One was slightly out of spec on the primary side. I replaced the one and the stuttering seems to be gone. However, there is a lso a vibration issue that remains where I need to check for worn parts. I had one inner tie rod replaced already. It was hard to tell the difference between the stuttering and the vibration. Maybe there is no torque converter problem.

MTC
  • buck15buck15 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 LeSabre that has had two fuel sending units installed within the last 6 months. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these units to burn out so quickly? By using the term "burnt out" I mean the gas gauge shows empty all the time, even after a fill up. Usually a month is all I get out of the sending unit.
    Did a dealer install two replacements? Or a local shop guy?

did they check the sending unit at the connections back by the tank to see if the sender was working correctly? Or did they just throw a part at it again since they had a boat payment due?

The problem sounds like it is connections or dash gauge problems. I'd have to check service manuals to see the full circuits.

• buck15buck15 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply imidazo197. I had what I thought to be a trusted shop install the two units. After I read your reply I got to thinking maybe it could be a bad connection, and I don`t know if the guy replaced the wiring harness or not, if he didn`t that could very well be the problem. Thanks again for the reply.
  • seanh90050seanh90050 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 Lesabre, and the service engine light came on a few
    weeks ago. I took it to the closest dealer earlier this week, and
    they told me I needed about $3000 in repairs on the car,
    ranging from a new transmission to brakes, and other various
    things. I asked what would turn the light off, and they said to
    replace a soleniod, which was stuck open. So i had them do it,
    and about 20 miles later, the light came on.

So I went today to a mechanic recommended by a friend and
    they ran diagnostics for me. It came back with a P0741 trouble
    code (torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off),
    and they told me to drive it until the light came back on and
    then call them and bring it back in. Well, driving home from
    work tonight, again after about 20 miles, the light is back on.

What kind of repairs should i expect to fix this problem? Will the
    transmission need rebuilt, as the dealer initially suggested?
    Sounds like the dealer has a shortage of service jobs and was going to use your care to make the next yacht payment for the Michigan summer home.

You didn't say how many miles you have on the car. Let us know.

That was my thought as well. I literally laughed at him as he told me all this.

The car has 77k miles on it.
  • debchodebcho Member Posts: 1
    Sean about your engine light staying on-make sure your gas cap is on tight. had same problem.
    Just cleaned the area around the gas cap and put it on as tight as it would go, and fueled up. Light is still on.

Perhaps I'm getting overly-sensitive about it, but the car seemed sluggish as it drove.
    You can put petroleum jelly on the o ring around the gas cap. Check that the ring is not ripped. The tank has to seal when the evaporative system puts a vacuum on it to check that the gas system is sealed and not polluting with gasoline fumes.

The check gets run, on my car, when the motor is slightly warmed up but not fully hot, and the motor is restarted. E.g., my temp gauge was just part way up to normal and I stopped for coffee. Came out and when I restarted the check was done and the light went out.

The temp is for example between 130 and 170 degrees. I'd have to look through my service manual to find the reference again.

If the light didn't come on right after a restart like that, it may not be a pollution check light; it may be from other causes.

• wbret8wbret8 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to this and also ignorant to most car issues so I thought I'd spring this on you folks...

I have just had my second incident with my car and its headlights. They are supposed to illuminate when the car is turned on to either the DRL's or the Low Beam Headlights, which ever the car's sensor determines (so I'm told).

The first time this occurred (about 3 weeks ago), I took the car to my local service center (not G.M. or Buick) thinking that one of the bulbs was burned out but when the mechanic took out the driver's side bulb, the passenger side illuminated. He then put the driver's side bulb back in its space and it also illuminated. He thought that there might be a shorted or nicked wire but could not get the problem to re-occur.

Tonight, I went to use the car and once again, the Low Beam lights did not illuminate. The amber "parking lights" worked, the rear lights worked, and the High Beam lights worked. I'm thinking that maybe there is in fact a wiring problem, but would like to know if any of you have experienced this issue or if you can advise me as to what to have checked before a dealer's service dept. rapes me to do a general electrical check.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill
  • buickoopsbuickoops Member Posts: 3
    i had a blowout in the right rear. the tire came apart and ripped apart the wiring harness going to the pump. also there's a small bracket above the tire that something used to mount to. any ideas as to what it is?
    blowout was on a 2000 lesabre limited. sorry.
    What pump are you talking about?

there's a small motor for the leveler(i think) mounted behind the right rear wheel. in front of that there is a small bracket the is mounted to the wheel well.

the tire ripped apart the wiring harness and whatever mounted to the small bracket.
    I see. I'll look under the rear of our 03 LeSabre...

• fesfes Member Posts: 3
    Hi Y'all - New member - Looking for some help. Just had to replace the left rear window actuator on a 2000 LeSabre Limited with 72,412 miles. This is the 3rd one replaced now within the last 12 months and the cost runs $525.00 each and the total is adding up. Does anyone know of any contact I can make to General Motors or what I can do on this and get a refund for the 3 replacements ? Been searching around and found (3) Tech Service Bulletin on this issue replacing the actuators so that tells me GM knows about the problem. I am sure this is a design defect and the motors are not adequate to handle the load. Please let me know if there is some contact I can make to get my money back.
    Thank y'all. from FES (an ol' retired Texan)
    The only brackets are the one that is next to the plastic wheel well and apparently holds it in place, and a metal cover below the pump and electronics for the pump for the load leveling shocks on the rear. There is a round plastic bracket that is the air inlet for the pump-it's a rubber tube that has a plastic part which is an air filter that is snapped into the stub frame so that it takes air from inside the frame to get cleaner air.

• classicbuffclassicbuff Member Posts: 18
    You could contact the GM distric office in your area, and see what happens. The problem is that a Servoce Bullitin is not a recall, so if they help you, it's out of the kindness of their hearts. I've been lucky a couple of times with a vehicle that was barely out of warranty.
  • fesfes Member Posts: 3
    Thanks classicbuff for taking time to answer my post. I will try your suggestion contacting the GM District Office...who knows - just maybe they might feel considerate. I went to NHTSA and there are a bunch of entries regarding the actuators on this model car. Enough, I believe, it is a Safety Issue and Buick should do a recall. Read about one person who was on their 7th replacement. Seems like GM would get the message that they have a design defect on this model car. Guess they don't really care if they lose their business to Ford or Dodge. Thanks Again. FES
    Any coincidence that Toyota ia approaching #2 in sales?
    I just had to replace actuators in the drivers door, and the door behind the drivers door! Fortunately, I was able to do the work myself, saving the labor. List price on the parts was $650.00. They went out within a day of each other.59,000 miles on the '00.
  • rob1972rob1972 Member Posts: 1
    my wife's car's headlights quit working 2 weeks ago. So I checked the fuses, none were bad. next I bought a new headlight switch(big bucks). no fix. So I chased down all the wiring an no shorts or bad connects..All I have left is the relay's I found under the hood, but no diagram showing what is what, can anyone help me????????? :confuse: :confuse:
  • qdownunderqdownunder Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 1999 LeSabre (50,000 miles) and I thought that the headlights needed adjusting. Plenty of high light on high beams but not much on the road. I have discovered that the outboard bulbs work on low but not on high. The inboard (high) beams work fine on high as well as with the DRL's on. In other words, either run two on low or two on high, but not all four on high. I have never seen this on a four bulb system unless it was on an old car that half of the lights were burned out anyway. Should I replace the two low bulbs?
    That is the setup on most cars. The low beams operate only on low beam. There's no need for them on high beam.