Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Forester Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Steve, like I posted earlier, Lithia Subaru had to call Subaru of America, because of the cost, but they approved my replacement. The "Limousine" tint film was still on it.

The AAA didn't balk or say they didn't cover the tint film, however they did tell me it was a manufacturing defect, not an outside object, that caused the problem. This would lead most of us to know the insurance companies data base must have already picked up on replacements of the sunroof glass, thus them labeling it a "defect".

They use the same type of mylar film on windows in my home near Palm Springs, and if heat, which there is plenty of there, caused windows to crack, it would have already been excluded from coverage by the insurers, I assume.

BTW, the crack appeared in the Winter, after it had already gotten to below freezing every night. At the time it happened, to judge if I should remove the film (all it takes is a spray bottle of water) before taking it into the insurance company, I did a WEB search of broken windows due to tinted film, and found only the same "Urban Legends" and speculation in enthusiasts forums, from self-appointed "experts". ;)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I missed your earlier post - the sunroof post of Kavoom's happened to catch my eye because a friend of mine was quoted ~$700 to replace his tiny SUV sunroof glass a few years back. He was worried until he talked to his insurance agent and found out it was covered.

His sunroof wasn't tinted though - he had actually removed the glass in a spurt of detailing and forgot to screw it back in place when the fishing bug bit him. The glass flew off at 70 mph landing neatly in the middle of the highway behind him. :shades:
  • Options
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yikes! :surprise:

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey, when your buddy calls and says the silvers are running, you do what you gotta do. :shades:
  • Options
    Seems as if they changed the unlocking deal with at least the 2006's. :)
  • Options
    danellhdanellh Member Posts: 14
    I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem with my 2008 Forester and would love to know if you solved this and if so how?
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    No, haven't solved it. I just avoid very long trips in this car, as I have another car. I will probably be replacing the Forester next year with something more civilized and comfortable.
  • Options
    danellhdanellh Member Posts: 14
    Well I guess I got lucky. The sales manager accepted the Forester back, rescinded the deal and refunded all of my money. He and the salesman will each be getting personal checks from me to say THANK YOU!

Did you write or e-mail Subaru headquarters in NJ about this problem? I think they need to know.

Good luck on finding your next vehicle. I probably don't need to tell you this but, take it for a lo-o-ong test drive. You should be able to get a good resale on the Forester.
  • Options
    lionel2lionel2 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I was happy to find this used 2006 Forester on the lot. It only has about 10,600 miles on it. I drove it and I liked it and I bought it. Now that I have been driving it more I'm beginning to wonder if the previous owner was a bit overweight and maybe sunk the front seat cushion? Is this possible in 10,600 miles? I hope not BUT I am really uncomfortable when just sitting in the driver's seat. I can feel this hard band sort of circulating around my lower back. It appears to me that if my entire rear was raised up a bit things would be better. Has anyone else out there heard of this? Of course my previous car was an Olds 88 and was as about as comfortable as could be. I've looked on line for cushions and there are a multitude to pick from. I really don't think I need more lumbar, massages, and heat treatments............ help!!

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    You could try another 2006 at a CarMax or used car dealer to compare.

If you want to add padding to the seat, I'd look in your local yellow pages under Auto - Upholstery. I'm sure they can do that for you.
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Which model do you have? I have an 06 Premium with the power seat, and I have a bad disc in my back (L4, L5). I find my seat very comfortable and find that I just needed to play with all the adjustments to find what works best.

As I remember, even the manual seat adjusts the seat bottom tilt as it is raised and lowered. You may want to raise the seat a bit with that adjustment as I believe it picks up the back of the seat bottom.

There is also an adjustable lumbar support on the right side of the seat back that may be providing too much "support" for your taste and comfort.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Forester seats are known for being uncomfortable on extended drives. The power/leather seats are a little better, but the base cloth ones are poorly designed.
  • Options
    lionel2lionel2 Member Posts: 2
    Hmmmm..... these are not very extended drives.. as I bought this car used I doubt if they'll take it back and I'm not sure I really want to have it taken back. I like the car a lot except for this. But it is a large item. Do you think it would be possible to ask a Subaru dealer what it would cost to replace the front seats with the leather/powered type? Is this even possible?

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm sure they could, for a price, but I bet even they will refer you to an upholstery shop.

Frank put Katskins on his Forester. I've seen another Forester with that leather and some say it's actually better than the OE stuff.

The trick is to also ask them to add some foam/padding.
  • Options
    tokmiktokmik Member Posts: 1
    with regards to your problem check this out: http://www.carpetcleaningcoop.com.html
  • Options
    sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Might you have to worry about the airbags in the seats if you want to reupholster it???

I'm thinking an upholsterer might not want that liability.
  • Options
    Katskins seats have an area that breaks away. They even have an SRS label I believe.
  • Options
    sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Ah! Good to know!

Thanks, Juice.
  • Options
    I may, just maybe, get some for my new Miata. I'd like some two-tone black-blue leather with seat heaters. Sweeeeeet! :shades:
  • Options
    dryflydryfly Member Posts: 8
    Hi:

Have 2001 Forester S. Need to replace cup holder and clock compass. Local dealer
    says $89 for holder and $100+ for clock and this does not include service charges.
    Would it make sense to buy from a non Subaru parts dealer on the net and install myself? Is it easy to do?

TIA

don
  • Options
    I installed lots of accessories on my 98 Forester when I had it.

Generally it's never too hard, but the instructions are terrible.

Try 1stsubaruparts.com to see what their cost is compared to the dealer, but I think your prices are fairly low already so you may only save $20-30 or so.
This discussion has been closed.