Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Camry Owner Reports

andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
edited March 2014 in Toyota
to play devils advocate...do we need this forum? It seams there are thousands of negative posts and you are trying to drum up some good will. Yet I do not see similar forums under Honda?

I admit I have a drum to beat. I noticed the fit and finish quality on my then new 2002 Camry was not up to Toyota par and pondered weather mechanical issues were to come. Could this be what we are seeing today?

Rattles aside, (and its crappy traction on wet roads), I feel my 2002 Camry is superior to any other sedan I have owned. Still, after reading the horror stories here I must admit I'd be concerned about buying new one...at least in the short term. Perhaps that is the intent of this forum....I just think its sad one is needed!

(We own a 2003 Camry and 2006 Rav and are not afraid to admit Toyota quality has taken a hit in recent years)

Comments

• rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    I just wanted to post a note here to describe my past 2 weeks with a new LE V6/6AT. I was one of the early purchasers (March) of an '07 Camry LE I4/5AT. I was also an early and vocal complainer about the hesitation and shift sensitivity of that vehicle. Without going into detail, and before the TSB was released to correct the problem, I finally worked a deal (thanks to my salesman and the Service Manager at Copeland Toyota, Brocktom, MA going to bat for me with Toyota) to trade up to an identical '07 LE with the V6/6AT. I have had the car for almost three weeks and I am really happy with it.

First, both cars were built in Kentucky and the build quality is superb on both vehicles (3/07 and 9/07). No vibrations, squeaks, or rattles. On the inside, other than the shift gate and shift display on the IP, you cannot tell the difference between the two cars. From the outside, only the dual exhaust tips give away the difference.

The V6 is a sweetheart of an engine; smooth, powerful, and quiet. It is also quite frugal - yes. I said frugal. Over the first 500 miles I have had two fillups and recorded a first tank average of 24.1mpg and a second tank average of 29.4mpg. I drive 60 miles a day on RT128 near Boston, which can vary from stop and go to 75mph on any given day, so I am quite pleased with this so far. My '03 averaged 29.65mpg over three years of use and the '07 I4 averaged 28.38 over 4900 miles of use.

The 6AT is a marvel in that it locks up in 2nd thru 6th gear and you would believe you are driving a manual transmission if you don't hammer the gas and get it to unlock anddownshift. It is not the smoothest shifting transmission I've driven, although still very smooth, but it is crisp (which I like) and still learning my way of driving.

Driving reveals the weight of the V6/6AT over the I4/5AT in that the car "pushes" more when taking corners at speed, but the car remains comfortable and gives the driver a confident attitude for a "family" sedan.

I will keep this forum posted as I get more mileage on the vehicle.

P.S. I moved to the '07 from an '03 I4/4AT which I really liked, and I am very happy that Toyota worked out the problems with the '07 I4/5AT.
  • sjsazsjsaz Member Posts: 10
    I will go out on a limb & say that My Camry SE V6 AT is for the most part problem-free.

I have owned it since 09/14/2006. It now has approximately 1200 Miles on it.

With the exception of a few bouts of herky-jerky gear-changing present in the Automatic Transmission at totally random times, & with no rhyme or reason. I don't notice any constant hesitations on my Camry, that others have mentioned both here and Toyota Nation.

I am smitten w/ my Camry!!! :blush:
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I purchased mine in april '06 and have over 12,000 miles on it already. Just had to put a full set of rotors on it, but had the same problem with my 300c Hemi. I have been very surprised and happy with my '07 Camry XLE V6. I traded a '05 Avalon in to get the Camry as I liked the handling MUCH better, and enjoyed the 6 speed over the 5. The Camry is smaller, but suits my needs fine. It also has excellent power and yet gets great mileage. I can push 28.5 at 78mph on the highway. Stop and go in town around 21. On secondary roads at 60 mph I got 34.9 in a 60 mile trip over the weekend. The JBL sound system is superb. I have noticed the SLIGHT hesitation, but I was somewhat used to it having had the Avalon. It is not as pronounced in the Camry. All in all it is a wonderful car that I would recommend to anyone. I liked it because of looks, dual exhaust, a sweet engine and great mileage on regular fuel.
  • gmontagewgmontagew Member Posts: 32
    Our 07 Camry is problem free so far and is all that we expected of the reputation for quality that Toyota is known for. In spite of positive results I think most like us are experiencing, a few doomdsday prophets in these forums insist the company is on the ropes because of quality problems.
    I came across a very good article by an unbiased source and offer the following excerpt in rebuttal to the naysayers:

"Toyota officials have openly acknowledged that the company's rapid growth, and its increasing reliance on plants around the globe, has strained its ability to maintain a gold-standard quality record. At a news conference in July, Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe bowed deeply and apologized for the recall troubles.

"I take this seriously and see it as a crisis," Watanabe said at the conference. "I want to apologize deeply for the troubles we have caused."

Toyota may be going through a rough patch, but industry experts say the recall issue has to be viewed in context. Toyota's quality record is still tops in the business; in June, Toyota and Lexus captured 11 of 19 initial-quality awards handed out by industry watchdog J.D. Power & Associates. They just happen to be in the glare of the spotlight.

"They're the guys wearing the yellow jersey, so everyone's watching them," says James Womack, chairman of the Lean Enterprise Institute, a Cambridge, Mass., non-profit think tank dedicated to expanding the principles of lean manufacturing.

Womack believes Toyota officials are losing a lot of sleep over the recall issue and will redouble their efforts to have all employees follow the tenets of TPS. "I've been watching these guys for a long time, and they worry more than any group of people I've ever seen," he says.

"You can bet they're poring over their business processes to look for weaknesses. I'd also be willing to place a pretty high bet that Toyota will be able to come up with answers."
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    For you beantown, and anyone else interested. Have owned the 07 Camry SE I4 5A since late spring and have had absolutely no problems of any kind. Aside from wishing Toyota offered more colours to choose from, the 'hesitation' problem some have experience was non existent from day one. Regardless, had the TSB EG056-06 applied which only improved the smoothness of the shifts. Very pleased.
    Drjames, I would suggest not getting too concerned about criticism of positive experiences by folks like us who actually like our cars. Everyone views given situations in different ways. What may seem to some as a serious flaw in their new car may be viewed as nothing of any consequence by another. "Buyer's Remorse" is a common affliction, where the expectation of some kind of "Life Change" after a purchase of a new car doesn't materialize. I get a sense that quite a few of the criticisms of the Camry that I've seen are manifestations of the Buyer's Remorse syndrome.
    Don't forget the statement quoted in my earlier posting where it's noted the guys with yellow jerseys are often dissed by follow on competitors. That's life!
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    That takes the cake.....buyer's remorse is now causing these problems!?! Let's not let the facts get in the way: Toyota has actively issued TSBs and admitted flaws with this new Camry. How would buyer's remorse cause tranny hesitation, the snap ring issue, rpm flare, center console squeaking and rattles all around....when the dealers and service people acknowledge these problems!

Now if people are just complaining about visibility, trunk space, the dashboard lighting or just general aspects of the car they don't like, then yes, those could be caused by buyer's remorse setting in. But problems acknowledged by the manufacturer, dealers and service people are certainly NOT.
    For consideration only.
    I note a seemingly popular title in the Lexus ES350 section which might be more appropriate for this one "New XXXX Owners-Give Us Your Report"
    Seems there are some who don't much like a forum like this one because it only gives one side of the equation.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, I think that is a terrific idea! Thank you! :)
  • lukejslukejs Member Posts: 9
    After six months and about 8k miles our V6 xle has had no problems. No rattles, no hesitation, no rpm spikes; the car runs great. It's a March built J car.
    I did not even test drive the I4, looking at the horsepower to weight ratio I'm surprised it can get out of own way. How could it not hesitate?
    My one complaint is that they could not fit the V8 in there. I suppose the I4 makes sense if you are just sitting in heavy traffic everyday, it probaly uses less gas idling.
    What I really don't understand is why anyone would get an SE with the four; I mean, it's supposed to be "sporty", but without that 80 to 125 mph boost, what's the point?
    "What I really don't understand is why anyone would get an SE with the four; I mean, it's supposed to be "sporty", but without that 80 to 125 mph boost, what's the point? "

Well, whether you understand it or not, a good sports sedan isn't always about flat out speed. Equally, if not more important is the handling and road feel the car posesses which is near absent in the LE/and XLE trims with or without the V6. The other reason buyers such as myself opted for the I4? In my earnest opinion... it looks better and have been extremely happy with it for everyday driving to work and around town. That said, if I want pure speed, I'll take my Porsche Boxter S out for a drive. btw, Have you even driven the SE I4?
  • carfreak123carfreak123 Member Posts: 20
    I am seriously thinking about purchasing an XLE with the I4 rather than the v6, the reason is that I have driven the v6 and it has way too much available power for a teen learning to drive. I will have the car in a couple of years when my daughter learns to drive and have concerns about the v6.

Your thoughts on the I4 in an XLE... Anyone have an XLE with the I4?
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    I've had my '07 XLE I-4 sinch March.

No rattles, no noises, no hesitation, good acceleration from standing or passing, all the interior/exterior parts fit, quiet ride, good handling and great fuel economy (over 9,000 miles - worst gas tank, 22.71 mpg - best gas tank, 33.14 mpg - avg. since new, 27.41 mpg).

My only complaint is that the trip computer averages 4-5% too high on the fuel mileage but I can factor that as I'm driving.

Never expect to return to the dealer again but I did buy the 84 month/100,000 mile/$0 deductible extended warranty just in case something happens in 6 or 7 years ($880 cost).

I paid $300 over dealer invoice the first week they were out but if I bought one now it would be for $150 max. over dealer invoice.

There are a lot of moaners and complainers about the new Camry but being on 4 Camry forums they are the vocal minority. If there is something that is possibly wrong with a vehicle, they have found it in a '07 Camry.

Go for it!!!!
  • carfreak123carfreak123 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the feedback... I have have not driven an I-4 as none of the dealers have any cars here in North NJ. I was trying to confirm that the I-4 has enough power for the XLE. I can deal with the trip computer averages.

Do you have to buy the warrnty up-front or can you shop it at any Toyota dealer for a certain period of time? Thanks for the info.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    You can drive a CE or LE with the I4. Same drivabiltity w/o some people comforts. ..or even an SE, although the ride and handling will be different.

No hurry to buy the warranty. Lots of time to shop around.

I read in another forum that one dealer is only charging $750 for the identical Platinum warranty. It's just like any insurance policy, it may or may not ever pay off.
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    Hi Everyone:

I would appreciated if you could answer some these questions regarding Camry 07 V6 SE

1) Should I be using gasoline rating of OCT 87 or higher? I have a mix message from Toyota Canada and dealers.

2) I have clucking noise (like a bad shock) from the rear wheel in the puddles? Is this expected since it is a SE version?

3) Should I perform an Oil change after break in period of 1600 klm? I have a mix message from Toyota Canada and dealers.

Thanks
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Hi Fellow Canuck;
    To answer your questions:
    1. 87 Octane is alright but you will gain a few HP by using 91 Octane. I run 91 Octane.
    2. Have the dealer check out the cluncking sound.
    3. Wait until what the manual says. I think it is 7500KM or 6 months, which ever comes first. I have yet to change the oil in my SE and I have about 5300KM and I have had it since mid-May. I will change to Synthetic at that time.
    Hope this helps
    Should you choose to buy the XLE I4... you will undoubtedly have purchased an excellent car. That said, the XLE, because of all its' feature content/leather/... weighs more than the other models, so with the I4 motor, though not underpowered, will feel taxed at times (example: with 4 passengers and in the middle of the summer with the AC on). So, it will depend on what the primary purpose is.) But for some piece of mind, particularly with your daughter... the 07 Camry recieved the highest crash ratings by BOTH the insurance institute and the government.

In my experience, I also own a Porsche Boxter S and a Lexus RX and in comparison, my Camry SE I4 does NOT feel underpowered by any means.
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    Hi gbabaluk:

Did you have ant problem setting your Home Link (garage door openr)?

I first tried the method for Canadian users and then the other two. None worked. I know we have the rolling code door openers, so I tried that method again but instead of pressing the button twice at the end I pressed it 3 times and it worked (like Hondas).

However, It reset the door opener and I had to reprogram all my other remotes again.

Ps. Can you customize the message on the stereo (Welcome to Camry)?
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    the 07 Camry recieved the highest crash ratings by BOTH the insurance institute and the government.

...maybe if you are ignoring the "marginal" rating it received from the IIHS in the rear impact portion of its test. Considering one is much more likely to be rear-ended than broad-sided or hit head on, I would give some weight to that result.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, this is something to ponder, but the rear test is primarily a measure of the chances of whiplash injury. This is nothing to sneeze at, but not a life-and-death situation as simulated by the frontal and side crash tests.

BTW, I have an '05 XLE with the 4-cylinder, and it's not underpowered by any means (unless you're used to big V8s or high-strung sports cars). A teenager can still get into trouble with the 4 but not as quickly as with the V6.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Hi rsarrami;
    Yes, I had all kinds of problems with it. First, as you said, setting it and it only works when the car is right in front of the garage door. MY Infiniti G35 has Home Link and I can open the door about a 100 feet before I turn into the driveway. I have to have the dealer check that out.
    I never tried to change the messages on the radio but I will look into it.
    If you have any other questions, let me know. I am taking it in for the first check up in about 2 weeks and I have a list of things that they have to fix including re-aligning the trunk lid. This American assembly line is a bunch of crap. I had a 2003 Corolla that I traded in on this one and it was made in Canada and the "graps" were as tight as my Infiniti.
    Toyota is trying to be the new GM!
  • wwayleswwayles Member Posts: 7
    Have an 07 Camry LE; how do you change the automatic door locking from "shift" to "speed" (@ 12 mph)control?

The method in the manual doesn't seem to work.
  • themdtnthemdtn Member Posts: 18
    Yes, the procedure in the manual does work assuming user's applied the e-brake.
    Tried w/ e-brake; got double click, thought all OK.
    Got in to drive, shifted out of Park, snap went the door locks as before-no speed locking.
    Try as I could, no more double clicks for Park or Speed activation. What next? The dealership is new and they are clueless.
  • themdtnthemdtn Member Posts: 18
    I think the 2 modes are independent. This means that you'll need to disable the shift-trigger mode first, then enable the speed-trigger mode later. Let us know how it goes.
    Gave up, went to the dealer. The 'techie' got some printouts of the instructions and spent 15-20 minutes getting it to work. You're right, the shift mode must be cancelled before going to the speed mode. Works fine now,thanks for the help. Great car so far; almost 35 mpg last fillup.
    I found the following list of contenders for the 2007 Canadian Car Of The Year. The MSN site shows all the top contenders being evaluated by the Association Of Automotive Journalists. I note that Toyota/Lexus is well represented, and the Camry is a contender in its class. It certainly makes me feel mine was the right choice.
    Hope this doesn't take too much room.

2007 CANADIAN CAR AND TRUCK OF THE YEAR CONTENDERS
    SMALL CAR under $18,000
    Honda Fit LX
    Hyundai Accent GS Premium
    Nissan Versa hatchback
    Pontiac Wave
    Toyota Yaris sedan
    SMALL CAR over $18,000
    Dodge Caliber SXT
    Hyundai Elantra GLS
    Nissan Sentra
    Suzuki SX4
    VW Rabbit 2.5
    FAMILY CAR $22,000 - $30,000
    Chrysler Sebring Touring
    Kia Magentis LX
    Nissan Altima 2.5 L
    Toyota Camry LE
    FAMILY CAR over $30,000
    Kia Amanti
    Nissan Maxima
    Saturn Aura
    Toyota Camry Hybrid
    VW Passat wagon
    LUXURY CAR under $50,000
    Infiniti G35X sedan
    Lexus ES 350
    Lincoln MKZ
    PRESTIGE over $75,000
    Audi S8
    Jaguar XK convertible
    Lexus LS 460L
    Mercedes-Benz S 550
    SPORTS/PERFORMANCE under $50,000
    Acura CSX – Type S
    MazdaSpeed3
    Saturn Sky Redline
    Volkswagen GTi 2.0T
    SPORTS/PERFORMANCE over $50,000
    Audi RS 4
    Audi S6
    BMW 335Ci
    BMW M-Coupé
    Ford Shelby GT500
    Lexus GS 450h
    CONVERTIBLES
    Audi A4 2.0T cabriolet
    Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
    Pontiac G6 convertible
    VW EOS 2.0 T
    PICKUPS
    Chevrolet Avalanche
    Ford Sport Trac XLT 4x4
    Cadillac Escalade EXT
    SUV/CUV under $35,000
    Dodge Nitro SLT
    Ford Edge
    Honda CRV LX AWD
    Jeep Compass North
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door
    Mazda CX-7
    Saturn Vue Green Line
    Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
    SUV / CUV $35,000 - $60,000
    Acura RDX
    Chevrolet Tahoe
    Dodge Aspen Limited
    Lincoln MKX
    Suzuki XL7 AWD
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    SUV / CUV over $60,000
    Acura MDX
    Audi Q7 4.2 Premium
    Cadillac Escalade
    Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer MAX
    GMC Yukon Denali
    Lincoln Navigator
    Mercedes-Benz GL Class
    After reading this I'm still feeling good about our Camry!
    Some Detroit products are doing better though.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061109/AUTO01/611090364/- - - 1148/AUTO01
  • dragondrawdragondraw Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to the forum, I'm on my way to have the TSB EG056-06 done as soon as possible. As for the car, I4 5sp, LE, my wife is delighted with it, and as I drive it on longer trips, so am I (about 9,000 miles now.) I'm an old 1950s-60s hot rodder, and the power is more than adequate, (if not like the old 39 ford coupe with the small block chevvy, but she HATED that one!) The only reason for the TSB is the cruise control habit of dropping to 3rd with about 4500 rpm when pulling some grades, but if it doesn't fix the problem, we like the car enough to just "live with it" This is our first Import other than some British sports cars in the late 60s. Probably not the last!
    Our experience since we bought the new Camry in August has been good. No evidence of any of the glitches a few others seem to be having. Personally, I believe much of this transmission business stems from differences between DBW controlled 5 and 6 speeds, and older 3 and 4 speed transmissions. There are noticeably different characteristics between the two, and I think much of the hype around the issue results from perceptions that "something is wrong because it's different".
  • workingstiffworkingstiff Member Posts: 13
    I bought my l4 5AT LE this summer but wanted to wait until I had a few km on it to respond,given the problems the "Woes" posters have had.

I am now at 1100 km ( about 700 miles)and so far, fingers crossed,have had no hesitation issues; in fact the car is beautifully responsive. I have been cautious about the kinds of situations that others describe (merging into very fast traffic,for example)but am feeling more confident.

I am really happy with the car.
  • shasta67shasta67 Member Posts: 109
    I don't think anyone has any doubts in here that historically Toyota has built some great cars. I have owned several Toyota trucks and they were just great. They did have bad bearings in the 1986 model manual transmissions.

I think the question now is whether they are still building as high of quality and just how serious the transmission problems really are. I think there is little doubt, even in Toyota's mind, that they do have a problem. I for one think Toyota will step up and get the problem fixed but I am thinking seriously of waiting for a few months or even a 2008 model.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • patrickhtpatrickht Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2007 camry LE and like it very much except for the poor alignment of the dashboard. There is and eighth of an inch gap between the driver's door and dash with the door closed and a quarter inch gap on the passenger's side.
    There are some other alignment problems in other parts of the dash. Anybody have this problem?
    Yeah, I noticed some uneven spacing between dash pieces/door on alot of the early builds. Thankfully, mine was extremely tight fitting and fairly even. I was just in for my first routine oil change and walked around the dealer lot with 'new' or very late build Camrys and peaked inside, I noticed better fitting and alignment in all of them.
  • roadhog4roadhog4 Member Posts: 3
    And what it is, if one is looking for the best car for the least dollars is what I wrestled away from a local dealer for just under $18,000, cash price. That got me into a 2007 Camry CE/MT and it's a terrific value car for the money.

I've owned several Camrys over the years, each from a separate generation, and the reason for choosing them is reliability and quality construction. I think one can spend too much for a Camry and then expect it to rival a 5 series BMW or a Acura TL-S. That won't happen.

My experience with the 2007 model has been extremely positive. I don't expect the car to be a rice rocket on the Interstates or carve up a curvy road with unabated power and handling prowess. My new unit handles better than previous Camrys by far.

It also has better seats and returns the same mileage in the 24-31 mpg range. And I don't think there's another car out there that can rival the '07 Camry for looks, interior room, and the entire reliability package for under $18K. Interesting to note that the CE with MT was far more fun to drive, tighter suspension and far improved handling, than the LE with AT.

Then again, one tends to find justification for saving, in this case, about $2500 for choosing the MT.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    roadhog4 - I am also looking at a manua transmission Camry.

What kind of mpg do you get on pure highway driving?

I also assume the cruise contol and shift hesitation noted by others are a non issue in the MT version, as the driver is in control of the gears.
  • roadhog4roadhog4 Member Posts: 3
    Dudleyr,

The MT requires you to stir the gears for various driving conditions such as pulling hills, passing, etc but the throws are precise with a quality snick with each shift. I've been getting about 32mpg on Interstate driving and around 28mpg on mixed which is about what I expected.

Having driven sticks before, but many years ago, it took me about 3 days to transition back to a MT. On the test drive loop, I killed the engine a couple of times which was frustrating but the salesguy that accompanied me said this was normal and I would get re-adjusted to the MT quickly. He was right.

The LE with AT was, in comparison on the same test drive day, almost a different car in terms of handling and simply not having the nimble characteristics of the MT. That AT transmission DOES search and hesitate unless you run it in fulltime 4 speed mode but even then, the car drove like a Buick if you know what I mean?

For whatever reason as it relates to suspension, having the chassis/engine/transmission more tightly dialed in, the MT was, for me, the far better car. It's not a speed demon, as noted in my initial posting, but, with all the impressive list of standard features in addition to what's been said here, is the absolute best VALUE for any comparable car out there.

You may have already learned that a 07 Camry MT is in rare supply! They're hard to find on a dealer lot but if you get one, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I test drove a CE 5 speed manual, and I agree - it is a great car compared to the automatic. I just don't know why more people don't like stick. When I get my Camry, it will be a manual.
  • retguy45retguy45 Member Posts: 1
    We picked up our LE V6 in early September. We ordered the Stability/Traction control and 6 disc JBL stereo.....they couldn't find one, so it was built "for us" in Lexington - took about 6 weeks for delivery. In general we're delighted with the car. There are no problems with the alignment of the dash - it is perfect. We've put about 1800 miles on it, partly on an 750 mile trip. Fuel economy is about on a par with our old 98 V6 - about 30MPH driving at 75 to 85 MPH. Around town seems to be in the 23 to 24 MPG range.

We have not noticed any hesitation problems at all, and the engine is very powerful - we wanted the acceleration because we do a lot of interstate driving.

No squeaks or rattles, and the performance of the stereo is great. It is nice having MP3 capability - one MP3 disc lasts 8 hours or so.

I HAVE noticed that the engine surges during accelerations, usually when I'm pulling into traffic, really get on it to get up to about 50MPH (which you have to do occasionally here (Naples, FL) to keep from getting run over), then let off the gas to maintain speed. Weird, but I figured it might be my problem, not the car's. however, I will take it back to my dealer to get the TSB applied (I think there is one for the 6 speed).

In general we're delighted with the car. BTW, I'm 6'6" and fit into the car just fine. There are some problems with visibility - -the front posts seem large and driving on really curvy roads (mountains) might require care. I rationalized the wide posts by thinking they might have required some room for the side airbags.

The car doesn't look it, but it is quite a bit larger inside than the 98 V6.
    Where can you get masks for the 07 camrys?

Even the dealers don't have them.
  • viking4viking4 Member Posts: 5
    No problems with a 4 cyl LE. 28 mpg on the first tank (although I don't know if it was topped off initially by the dealer) from 70% hwy/30% city driving.

No rattles and I'm a rattle nut.

The car has a tendency to gyrate as if the shocks were old. Maybe they wanted to introduce a softer ride, but I might get some stiffer shocks.

As has been expressed in other posts, the car is not a 'driver's car' so to speak in terms of handling, acceleration, etc. But what it is (so far) is comfortable, reliable, and roomy transportation for under $20K (plus TTL).
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
  • midnight2midnight2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new 07 Camry in September. It has been in service now since December 4 for a new transmission. I do not like the fact that there is silence on the part of my local dealer and Toyota Corp. I faxed them a letter this morning about opening arbitration to return the car. :mad: :lemon:
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    To be fair, it has been exactly 7 calendar days, two of which were the weekend. I assume they didn't have an extra transmission sitting around, and that it would take at least three days for them to order and receive it, and perhaps another two to start work and install it. That's five (business) days right there.

Have you called the Service Manager, spoken to him directly, rather than take a legalistic tack, with demand letters, and such?
  • mike323mike323 Member Posts: 1
    I will never buy Toyota Again! My camry has only 36,743 miles and drive belt came loose! I was in middle of the road and lost power steering then battery light came on. A day before I heard loud tapping noise coming from the drive-belt area, then it became totally loose today and the noise was even louder. Since factory warranty is up to 36,000 miles, I don't how much it will cost me to repair this, but I will never buy Toyota again.
    I had so much problem with moon loof, which I had to go to the Longo Toyota twice (still it has same problem, where loof goes up then comes down half way).
    Toyota used to be reliable, but then it looks like they don't care about manufacturing quality cars anymore.

I miss my old Honda.
    Sorry to hear of your difficulty, but a loose or failed serpentine belt is not uncommon with any automobile. There are two types of similar victims out there (any make or model); those that have had that same problem; and those who are going to have it someday.
    Given the mileage being so close to the cutoff limit, I would expect that it should be corrected under warranty.
    It's not the best reason to swear off buying any make of vehicle, but that's your prerogative.
    FWIW, there are lots of completely satisfied Toyota owners out there, and we're included in that majority. Our 07 is great, and we are completely satisfied that reliability is still as good as any other make--and maybe better.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Agree with gmont on the failed serpentine belt -- it's not a big deal, like transmission failure.

As for the moonroof, I can tell you how I fixed mine in my 2004 Camry after I replaced the battery. It seems you have to follow the "initialization" procedure EXACTLY, as explained in the owner's manual. (I didn't, and my moonroof wouldn't work properly.)

One way to do fix this (without disconnecting the battery, which will mess up your radio presets and clock as well as temporarily affect your engine's idle speed) is to pull the "power no. 1" fuse in the lower left instrument panel.

Easier said than done, however. I had to use small pliers and ended up destroying the fuse. So have a replacement (30 amp) on hand before you start. Before you pull the fuse, make sure the keys are out of the ignition and the moonroof is fully closed and flush with the roof. Once the fuse is out, drive around for a day or two. Note: both your moonroof AND power windows will be inoperable, so if you have to pay tolls or otherwise open your window, this won't work.

Then re-install the fuse, turn on the ignition, and follow EXACTLY the procedure in the owner's manual. It worked for me -- no problems since I did this in early November. Good luck!
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    Dont know if this is the right thread but Iam sure someone will re-direct it if its not. I purchased an 07 LE-V6 last Friday and have only about 150miles on it. The engine is phenominal, when I can use it. The hesitation issue is not there that I notice and I NOTICE EVERYTHING.
    The one thing that detracts from this possible awesome car is the positioning of the gas-brake pedals in relation to me. Iam 6' and about 230lbs. The pedals seem abit off center to the left and as such my knee is hurting. I constantly move and reposition my leg etc. and its bothersome and noticeable. Iam getting ready for a 1000 mile round trip this Weds. to Sun. from PA to NY. Dont want the wife to know I have this issue as the car is great.
    Also the brakes need a 'pumping' to get the great solid pedal feel, if I dont pump them once then the pedal is a little weak and lacking.
    Any TSBs on the brakes? Any suggestions on the seat comfort?
This discussion has been closed.