Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Steering and Suspension

13»

Comments

• jayyy_kjayyy_k Member Posts: 5
    ok, just the other day when i was pulling into my driveway and when i was turning my wheel it seemed to get rough to turn, almost like it was getting stuck but then with a little more force it would free back up again, it seems to happen about every quarter turn in the wheel. When I go around a corner the wheel also doesnt pull itsself straight, I have to do it manually. On and off for the last 2 years my steering wheel has made a wierd whinning noise when i turned it, but i thought that it was just the berrings in the wheel or something. could this have anything to do with why my wheel doesnt turn freely, or would it be my luck and be something worse? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's either the power steering pump or the rack itself.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Possibly a ball joint too. My T-Bird did the same thing, hard to turn, wheel wouldn't return, front end noise, it was the ball joint.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • tecillotecillo Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a good source and/or p/n for a 2000 LS V8 clockspring? Hopefully one with a good price. Thanks
  • dsaperndsapern Member Posts: 6
    Here is a web site that I have used for price matching. https://www.silverstatefordparts.com/lincoln-parts.html. What I did was got this price quote from the web site and took it to my local dealer to see if they would match the price from the web site, and they did. I can't remember the pn, as they don't give them on the web site. Good luck!!!
    edited May 2010
    I just now replaced my sway bar bushings using the energy suspension #9.5171. I was really hoping this was what I needed, but it wasn't. It is still the same, it seems to be the same thumping/clunking noise coming from the front end everyone seems to be hearing. Just replaced the struts December. Anyone have a clue as to what else can be causing that similar noise? Any way I can check the condition of any of these items? thanks
    Ball joint?
    just lifted my car from both sides and noticed there is play/slack in both my lower ball joint assemblies while jerking up and down on the tire. Has anyone purchased these individually from ebay, etc. or have a good source for them? any tips are appreciated.
  • dsaperndsapern Member Posts: 6
    I bought the individual ball joints on ebay and had a local machine shop press the old ones out and the new ones in. You may need to shop around to find a machine shop that has a large enough press to do it. The first shop I went to didn't have a big enough press. I spent about $200 ( $100 for the ball joints $100 labor at the machine shop) to have the whole job done. Of course you will have to have the alignment done after the ball joints have been replaced.
  • ls5ssls5ss Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    ;) Just encountered some of the same problems with my wife car '01 Sport 5sp man. She took it to a repair shop they told her it was the rack. They replaced the rack. That made it worst now it has "NO" assist in turning. I return the car and said it seem from the beginning to be the pump. They said the tech check the pump. This time they said it was air in the system. Still no steering assist. They sent it to Lincoln and Lincoln agreed with what I told them. They sent it to a Ford dealer I got that word and stopped by told them the history they ordered the pump so far still steering like a "NEW CAR" the pump was free the new rack $450.00 installed. Check pump first! :shades:
  • mommimommi Member Posts: 5
    the vin # of my car was not even included in the recall! i have left it up to the attorney bc the matter is out of my hands. my mom assisted in the purchase of the 'safe, reliable car'...then that happened. Needless to say she is quite pissed & has chosen to pursue it further. i saved all the parts and my attorney has then and has had them examined as well.
    *sigh* will b glad when this is all over tho!!!
    I can't believe you're still pursuing this 3.5 years later. If the recall wasn't applicable to your vehicle then you have no case for negligence. It was an accident - that's why you have insurance.
  • honkyhonky Member Posts: 1
    so ford likes to rape people by making you buy the whole control arm on lincoln ls for bushing/ball joints. but guess what, all of you who wanna change out the bushings on the lower control arm can use the bushing for the same year model on the jag s-type. after researching and getting know where, i figured it out. take a look at the control arm for the s-type, same part right,lol. same replacement parts. so instead of getting it in the butt from the dealership for 700 in parts get what you need for 45 bucks a side for bushings and 60 a side for ball joints
  • svede101svede101 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing nearly happened to me. I purchased a 2000 Lincoln LS last fall and have dumped a large amount of money into repairs since. The car is currently in the shop because of the same ball joint failure. I nearly lost control of the car going 65 mph. The mechanic just called me and wanted to know who had attempted to remove the ball joint because the nut was completely loose to the point of nearly falling off. I checked the recall info and either my car was not recalled or it had already been torqued. In either case, the result could have been deadly. I hope things work out well for you.
  • yatwa87yatwa87 Member Posts: 3
    Where did you buy this problem solver sway bar online? I'm looking into replacing the thing myself as well but have not has any luck finding the replacement part.
  • yatwa87yatwa87 Member Posts: 3
    On the sway bar bushing part number from Energy Suspension it there a G or R after the 9.5171? Is the sway bar a 30mm in diameter? Does anybody know?
  • dzingdzing Member Posts: 1
    Does the front most bushing on the lower control arm contain any oil or lubricant? As I am seeing some leakage from it and can not find any source of fluid coming from anywhere else.
  • shawskshawsk Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Skylar Shaw, and i to have a 2000 lincoln ls with the same problem. I took it to a machanic to see why the car was squeaking while driving. After he inspected it he deemed the car dangerous and unsafe to drive. So i did some research and like you i saw it was a recall on the front suspension on the 2000 lincoln ls. I followed up with lincoln the next day asking if they would honer the recall. I was told 3 different things, 1st they said the original owner brought it in back in 2001 and the problem was remedied, another rep said it wasnt a recall on this car and another rep said the car was old and the case has closed on those models. If you have any info that can help me, my email is shawskylar83@yahoo.com
  • ls5ssls5ss Member Posts: 3
    My frontend problem was a bad powersteering pump. I will contact Lincoln to see if I'm among the list for recall.
  • woodyk1woodyk1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 lincoln LS VS with 74,000 miles. The best place I have found to buy parts for my car is Rock Auto. I have replaced myself the sway bar links (R/L), driver lower ball joint and upper driver L control arm. I did the work myself at an auto hobby shop. The left/driver control arm is far harder than the passenger side buy looking at the bots.
    Diagnosing suspension sounds.

To test ball joint place car on lift and pull tire in an up and down motion. Is there play. If there is you need a new ball joint. The same goes if the upper control arm are free play.

Over the past couple of weeks I have replaced several items on my 2000 Lincoln LS VB with 74,000 miles. The first were the faulty sway links. They are easy to replace just loosen large bolts with either an allen wrench or small open ended wrench and the other a larger on the main bolt. These were $40 for both left and right side. The second was the driver side lower ball joint. This was a difficult task but can be done if you have the right tools to remove the old one. The best product I found was a MOOG ball joint. They say you have to buy the entire knuckle with ball joint installed for around $300 but with $58 and your own power tools and ball joint removal kit you can do on your own with the MOOG. The final item installed was an driver side upper control arm for $116 from Rock Auto. This item is difficult to remove to the rear of tire bolt. This is how I did it. Car on lift loosen shock 4 bolts on top and the large bolt on the bottom. Do not remove the center bolt of the shock. Go into the engine and remove the inner bolt located just behind the air filter. The second bolt is underneath the brake reservoir. This is rough best to loosen from top it will be tight though and take a psuematic
    air socket from the bottom. Place in position the new control arm and tighten bolts on top. Pull through the top ball joint and tighten up. Once cannot tighten any more use two wrenches on end going opposite directions. Then reinstall shock ensure all bolts on top and the lower is also tightened properly. This is how I did this job.
    About 4 months ago my 2000 Lincoln LS V8 started knocking while driving and I thought it was bad fuel or even perhaps the car had some other problem. I purchased a new fuel filter installed and my car mileage increased by 4 mpg. The filter was likely the original in the car so some dirty fuel was trapped in the system and was disgusting. I recommend you change the filter if your car is knocking and the decreasing gas mileage.
  • bnorrellbnorrell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 lincoln ls v6. I need to replace lower control arm bushings. Can I use the jag s type for the v6 like it said you could for the v8. And how would I go about doing it- I've located a place to buy the bushings only.

Thanks
    :sick:
  • bnorrellbnorrell Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Any info you could give as to how to go about changing bushings will be much apprieciated.
    i have 02 LS and was quoted a crazy amout to replace control arms when all I need is bushings. I have located bushings only.

Thanks
  • ethan13ethan13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 LS V8 and whenever I go above 40mph the right rear wheel wobbles and causes the entire car to shake/vibrate. The shaking and vibrating doesn't stop until I slow below 40mph. I think the ball joint is my issue but I'm not sure. Could somebody help? Furthermore, does anyone know where I can get a rear ball joint from? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Sounds more like a wheel bearing. I don't think there's a rear ball joint.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • nico_couturenico_couture Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Hello all,
    I own an 02' LS 3.0. Recently I was turned down inspection do to the steering rack leaking. I had the work done on the car got the sticker and a week later it seemed to be leaking worse. I could actually see the fluid on the ground where I had never noticed it before. Took the car back and had another rack installed. this time it was placed off center. I could turn the wheel right and go in a circle standing still basically and could hardly turn left so again I brought it back. The mechanic has told me that alot/all of the replacement racks made for my car were built defective and that his supplier is having one made... I personally find this hard to swallow and I cant find anything online about it. They have had my car for about 2 months now. does this replacement part defect hold water or should I get a refund and go elsewhere???? thanks in advance.
    Your mechanic is full of it. I'd get my car out of there as soon as possible.
  • capitalistraincapitalistrain Member Posts: 1
    Actually, the long bar that the top of the sway bar is connected to is what is causing the clunking noise. I can hear it when I jiggle that long bar when my sway bar is uninstalled. I might tack a weld where the long bar connects along the front of the bottom of the car. However, the bushing from that sway bar is warped and the joint has too much "play" in it, which may be causing that long bar to jiggle freely when the sway bar is actually attached. We'll see...